Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E07 Stradivarius

nodorothyparker
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Lakebum said:

Unless you know enough about snakes that you don't need to see the head at all. Or better yet, know that head shape isn't going to help as much as some people think it is.

Who ever said a snake’s head shape was the ONLY way to tell whether it was venomous or not???  I only mentioned a reference to it as one way.  

In any case, I think the bones are starting to show through the carcass of this poor dead horse - and that metaphor is a little too apt in TWDLand. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Nashville said:

Who ever said a snake’s head shape was the ONLY way to tell whether it was venomous or not???  I only mentioned a reference to it as one way.  

In any case, I think the bones are starting to show through the carcass of this poor dead horse - and that metaphor is a little too apt in TWDLand. 

Well, I’m 100% sure it weren’t no darned mud snake nohow.

we had an eastern diamond back in the backyard.  No way to mistake those things for anything else.  Anyway, I see them in the scrub often.  Cottonmouths, lots of those obstinate bastards.  

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

we had an eastern diamond back in the backyard.  No way to mistake those things for anything else.  Anyway, I see them in the scrub often.  Cottonmouths, lots of those obstinate bastards.  

Rattlesnakes and copperheads I’ve rarely had a major issue with; generally speaking, they’re not a problem so long as you don’t surprise them or box them in.  Make enough noise when you’re walking through the woods to let them know you’re coming, and they’ll just go somewhere else.  I can appreciate a good live-and-let-live attitude.  :)

Cottonmouths, though...?  Those fuckers are crazy - the wasps of the snake world.  I’ve been fishing or kayaking, and had them swim off the bank and try to bite my paddle.  When I was younger, never knew I could dance until one dropped out of a tree limb sticking out over the water and fell in my boat.  THAT was one of the more intense 30-second periods of my life.  ;>

• Love 2
On 11/27/2018 at 2:44 AM, Nashville said:

one dropped out of a tree limb sticking out over the water and fell in my boat.

Boating friends in New Orleans talked about parts of the swamps where you had to keep to the very center of the canals because Cottonmouths were so thick up in the cypress trees you could almost smell them.  Up here in Tennessee, neighbors talked about abandoned quarries you could only go in in coldest winter because there were so many "cottonboys" there.

So, why didn't we see a cottonboy/walking dead encounter in that big quarry?  

Just as the wild hog population would surge, so would the snakes.  

Edited by enoughcats
  • Love 2

It’s funny, because I’ve never seen an aggressive cottonmouth.  Mostly they just stand their ground and won’t retreat.   I even stepped over one leaving work one night, and it just ignored me.  There was a swamp next to my building, and I used to spend my breaks walking around the parking lot and wrangling little ones with my monopod so people wouldn’t run them over.  Just hooked them and flicked them into the water.  

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

It’s funny, because I’ve never seen an aggressive cottonmouth.  Mostly they just stand their ground and won’t retreat.   I even stepped over one leaving work one night, and it just ignored me.  There was a swamp next to my building, and I used to spend my breaks walking around the parking lot and wrangling little ones with my monopod so people wouldn’t run them over.  Just hooked them and flicked them into the water.  

@Mu Shu - lucky you.  :)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 11/25/2018 at 11:47 AM, enoughcats said:

And my bullets would have been saved to take down wild boar hogs (and my CG $$ to 'film' a hoard of Walkers attacked by three boar hogs).  

Now that scene would put life into this show! Awesome, it would be, but I think TPTB saved up and blew the CGI budget for the entire series on Shiva, judging by that laughable junkyard vista, the transparent, floating deer, and the badly pasted-on snarls (looked like something from JibJab) of the pack of dinner dogs.

Feral hogs would be great - probably scarier than people who put on skin masks and whisper - but only if they don't get killed.