Type keyword(s) to search

Lego Masters (UK) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The forum for this show didn't get created until the third week of the season so I guess we'll start there and if I have time I'll go back and rewatch the first two episodes!

I thought it was a really interesting idea to split up the teams and have each person make a creature on their own. Even in S1, it was really obvious that some teams had one member that was much more dominant. Forcing them to work individually without any input or help from their partners was a great way to show us who was capable of what.

Stewart and Izzie's octopus/caterpillar hybrid was interesting. The lasers shooting out of the octopus eyes were funny and creepy. I liked the caterpillar body. Stewart is obsessed with including moving parts!

Catherine and Patrick's dog/turtle hybrid was a cute combination of the two. I loved the hat and the dropped jaw with the tongue hanging out, which added some whimsy. I agree with the judges that if they had used more roof slope tiles (rather than regular rectangular bricks), it wouldn't have looked so boxy.

Paul's whale was really great. Louis' mouse was not as impressive. Unfortunately, I didn't really like their hybrid creature. I realize that one of the challenges was having two creatures with such different body types, but it just didn't work for me. The finished creature looked like neither a whale nor a mouse.

Joseph and Chris's lion/octopus hybrid was an interesting creature It really helped that they used such contrasting colors on each animal. I liked that they were open to putting the tentacles somewhere less traditional.

Kato and Jaden's crane/puffer fish hybrid didn't work as well for me because Jaden's puffer fish was so boxy.

Harry and Ollie's octopus/cat hybrid was not my favorite, but I appreciate that they were able to come up with a story about how it got into a fight with Chris and Joseph's lion/octopus creature and that's why the leg fell off.

Sometimes I forget how massive these creations are. Ten and a half hours to build a golf hole is a long day, especially for the kids. I loved miniature golf as a kid so I was so excited to see what the teams came up with though.

I love when they profile the teams so we can get to know them better. Catherine and Patrick (the brother and sister team) are so cute. It's nice to see siblings that age get along so well. I know that when my sister and I were around that age, we sometimes fought about the stupidest things. We still spent a lot of time together and got along, but we definitely had our fair share of spats, which we haven't seen from Catherine and Patrick yet.

I also love when we get to see the teams building. Seeing everyone on the ground with piles of bricks is so fun. I felt bad that some of the components came apart when their pieces were transported to the golf course. one layer of bubble wrap doesn't seem like enough to keep everything secure.

Louis and Paul's pirate ship and treasure chest golf hole was nice. I'm glad that Louis listened the judges and added a mechanical element. I agree that they needed that extra bit of wow factor.

Catherine and Patrick's fairy tale golf hole was fun because they had a lot of obstacles for the golf ball to get around. I liked the legs sticking out, but it was a little simple from a building point of view.

Chris and Joseph's sailor with the spinning ship wheel was really awesome. It looked like a real golf hole. I agreed with the judge who said that the sailor had great detail in the face but didn't really look like a pirate. It was just a guy with a shirt and pants.

Kato and Jaden's panda and dragon golf hole was very vivid and colorful. I liked the mechanical claw element as an obstacle.

Harry and Ollie's safari golf hole was fun. I really liked the undulating snake. The rotating gorilla arm was a great addition too.

Izzie and Stewart's optical illusion gold hole had a lot of cool elements. I liked how large and steep the ramp was.

At the end of each episode, I'm always torn because on the one hand, I love that kids who love building are given the opportunity to be on the show. On the other hand, they get so upset during eliminations (even when they aren't the ones eliminated) that I feel like it might be too much for them.

Poor Patrick and Catherine! It was really obvious that they love building together so I'm comforting myself with the thought that they will keep building together even after they've been sent home.

56 minutes ago, Ceindreadh said:

I really dislike the way they do the eliminations. I know they’re trying to drag out the suspense but really I wish they’d just announce the team going home and be done with it. 

Same here. It's bad enough when they do that one shows with adult contestants, but it seems extra cruel to do that to children.

My artistic skill is limited to stick figures so I'd never be able to create someone's face out of Legos! I loved that Izzy shut down her dad's idea to make Johnny's head motorized. Focus, Stuart! The bust they made looked like the guys in the Money for Nothing video from the 80s. The removable hat was a fun idea. I didn't like the tongue sticking out. The execution wasn't good so it ended up looking like a tiny pink cigarette.

Lewis and Paul's rendition was pretty impressive. I really liked the deep set eyes and all the shapes and angles they used on his face.

Harry and Ollie's version of Johnny Vegas was not as accurate or complex, but I liked that they thought to build a tv and a remote so that Johnny was watching himself on television.

Chris and Joseph's decision to ignore the judging criteria was not very smart. If there's anything I've learned from reality shows, it's that you should always fulfill the requirements of the challenge. I agreed with the judges that they created a great face (loved the stubble) but that it didn't look like Johnny.

Kato and Jayden''s head didn't look like Johnny, but I loved the little box they made, and the spinning bowtie was a fun idea.

I was excited to see the arcade games for the final challenge!

Kato and Jayden's duck game was more challenging than I thought it would be. It was really colorful and I liked the ducks.

I felt bad that Lewis and Paul's motors blew out just before time was called. Paul's pants from 1989!

Izzy and Stuart's hedgehog maze was much more complicated than I thought it would be. The tilting board, the maze, and the clock were a lot of elements. I did agree with the judges about the dull color palette though.

Chris and Joseph's pinball machine was so impressive. It worked perfectly and it gave out mini figure prizes!

I was a little worried that Harry and Ollie's ocean dive game had no motorized elements and everything was manual. I loved the spinner they made. I'm sad to see them go because they were the last team without any adults steering the ship.

I really like this show, but I wish they didn't have kid teams and adult teams competing again each other. Maybe split it up into Lego Masters and Lego Masters Juniors. It doesn’t seem fair on the teams where it’s two children.

I also wish that instead of eliminations, one team a week won and then at the end the team with the most wins was the overall winner. I just hate watching the kids cry when they are eliminated. We always fast forward the end bit.

I agree. I had the same issue during S1. It really does not seem fair to have two elementary school children competing against two adults (or even a team with one adult and one kid).

I also agree about having a cumulative winner. I mentioned something similar to Mr. EB last season (mostly due to the unevenness of the pairings), which is how I remember doing certain competitions in high school and college. Points were assigned for each challenge (so if there were ten teams competing, each week the first place team got 10 points, the second place team got 9 points, etc.) and we kept track of the points throughout the year. Doing that on this show would mean all the teams could stay and keep building for the duration of the competition. I also like the point system because sometimes on competitive reality shows there are people who slide by every week, just barely staying ahead of the worst people and then somehow get into the finale. I want whoever is in the finale to be the best of the best, not people who scraped by week after week by simply not being the absolute worst. I guess the production company wouldn't like that method since it could take away the suspense of the winner since anyone who can do simple addition could figure it out, but I would prefer that to watching kids cry every week. Even the kids who aren't cut cry sometimes because they're so tense!

I wanted to hear more about the software the builders were given for the robotic animal challenge. Heh, and I loved that they had little kids judging this challenge.

Chris and Joseph know that their weakness is whimsy, so when they decided to build a rabbit, why did they choose brown? Apparently their idea of being whimsical was briefly considering grey. They could have chosen ANY color - blue, purple, pink, yellow, red, green!

Stuart and Izzy's joke telling pig was cute in appearance, but once again Stuart has to try to be too fancy. The jokes were not funny to the kids. Heh, but the poop feature was great. I agreed with the judge who said that it wasn't very interactive for the kids.

In contrast, Kato and Jayden's parrot was fun and colorful AND it was interactive so the kids could play with him. It was really cute and it looked like something that kids would want to play with aka a toy that could keep them occupied for more than five minutes.

Lewis and Paul's lizard was colorful with details, but it didn't seem like something kids would hold a kid's attention for more than ten minutes.

Once I saw what Lewis and Paul had planned, I was pretty sure they would win if they could get the mutoscope to work.

Awww, and I loved seeing Sue Perkins as a guest judge!

It looks like there's going to be a third season. At the end of the episode, there was an invitation to apply for the new season. It's at channel4.com/takepart and I found out that they're actually going to have two shows. There will be Lego Masters (the only requirement listed is that children must be 9 by March 2 of next year) and Lego Masters - Pairs (which is not accessible yet).

I wanted to hear more about the software the builders were given for the robotic animal challenge. Heh, and I loved that they had little kids judging this challenge.

Chris and Joseph know that their weakness is whimsy, so when they decided to build a rabbit, why did they choose brown? Apparently their idea of being whimsical was briefly considering grey. They could have chosen ANY color - blue, purple, pink, yellow, red, green!

Stuart and Izzy's joke telling pig was cute in appearance, but once again Stuart has to try to be too fancy. The jokes were not funny to the kids. Heh, but the poop feature was great. I agreed with the judge who said that it wasn't very interactive for the kids.

In contrast, Kato and Jayden's parrot was fun and colorful AND it was interactive so the kids could play with him. It was really cute and it looked like something that kids would want to play with aka a toy that could keep them occupied for more than five minutes.

Lewis and Paul's lizard was colorful with details, but it didn't seem like something kids would hold a kid's attention for more than ten minutes.

Once I saw what Lewis and Paul had planned, I was pretty sure they would win if they could get the mutoscope to work.

Awww, and I loved seeing Sue Perkins as a guest judge!

It looks like there's going to be a third season. At the end of the episode, there was an invitation to apply for the new season. It's at channel4.com/takepart and I found out that they're actually going to have two shows. There will be Lego Masters (the only requirement listed is that children must be 9 by March 2 of next year) and Lego Masters - Pairs (which is not accessible yet).