Type keyword(s) to search

S27.E11: Week 9: Finale

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

True but it just stings because Bobby is so bad.   That's why so many people are upset and they're going on FB demanding changes.  Also, West Coast people are upset because they couldn't vote.  I wouldn't know how to vote last week if it wasn't for this forum.  

While I'm not against the uproar against Bobby, the criticism re: voting is more of a network issue than a DWTS producers issue.  I'd imagine if it was up to DWTS producers, the show would have had a two night finale and voting would have gone on as normal.  It was ABC's decision to reduce the finale to one night and at that point there was no good solution re: voting.  Now you can I guess in turn blame the show that the 2nd night of the finale was likely cancelled because of ratings and maybe some unhappiness on the ABC end with the show, but there is not good voting solution on one night.

What I can blame DWTS for is what they chose to prioritize in that said one night finale.  For instance, subjecting us to another go round of Jenna and the naked Bachelor men and ignoring all of our female celebs. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, spanana said:

While I'm not against the uproar against Bobby, the criticism re: voting is more of a network issue than a DWTS producers issue.  I'd imagine if it was up to DWTS producers, the show would have had a two night finale and voting would have gone on as normal.  It was ABC's decision to reduce the finale to one night and at that point there was no good solution re: voting.  Now you can I guess in turn blame the show that the 2nd night of the finale was likely cancelled because of ratings and maybe some unhappiness on the ABC end with the show, but there is not good voting solution on one night.

What I can blame DWTS for is what they chose to prioritize in that said one night finale.  For instance, subjecting us to another go round of Jenna and the naked Bachelor men and ignoring all of our female celebs. 

Maybe, they could have said what was going to happen the week before.  A bunch of people didn't watch the finale anyway once JP was gone.  Also, people are saying that it should be judges' scores at 75% and votes at 25%.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

Maybe, they could have said what was going to happen the week before.  A bunch of people didn't watch the finale anyway once JP was gone.  Also, people are saying that it should be judges' scores at 75% and votes at 25%.

Yes, they could have communicated earlier and more clearly on how the voting was going to work, but it was always going to be unfair to the west coast.  Maybe some additional people would have realized it was happening and been able to get in their votes, but I think the majority of the casual voting public that wants to see what they are voting on still wouldn't have bothered. 

I also think the conversations about changing the voting percentages are fine and I think that can happen, but that wasn't going to get changed mid season or before this past finale.  I think it looks too shady to change the voting mid season.  That screams of TPTB seeing that Bobby was going to clearly win and course correcting by changing the rules to keep it from happening.  I think it's fair to do that between seasons.  Not during a season.

• Love 1

I'm on the west coast, but I was in central time for the holidays so I voted for the first time in years. I probably wouldn't have bothered if I was in Pacific time though. Like who wants to vote when you haven't even seen the dances. 

With Bobby winning I'll probably go back to not bothering to vote anyway.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, spanana said:

Yes, they could have communicated earlier and more clearly on how the voting was going to work, but it was always going to be unfair to the west coast.  Maybe some additional people would have realized it was happening and been able to get in their votes, but I think the majority of the casual voting public that wants to see what they are voting on still wouldn't have bothered. 

I also think the conversations about changing the voting percentages are fine and I think that can happen, but that wasn't going to get changed mid season or before this past finale.  I think it looks too shady to change the voting mid season.  That screams of TPTB seeing that Bobby was going to clearly win and course correcting by changing the rules to keep it from happening.  I think it's fair to do that between seasons.  Not during a season.

Agree with both points.  I think a lot of reality shows are not fair to the West Coast.  In my case, it's Mountain time but it's the same.  On the Voice, they have twitter saves but it's only for the East and Central time zones. 

Most of the people asking for rule changes are talking about future seasons.  A lot of people said that they are just done but I'm guessing that some might change their minds when the show starts again.  There are a few that think that Bobby should give the trophy back but that's never going to happen.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, realdancemom said:

People say that every season. People go on Facebook and complain every season. This is nothing new nor is it something that happened just because Bobby won.

Now that I think about it. I dont even know if I trust the judges to have more power. Im afraid if the judges knew they were given more power, they will somehow abused that opportunity. The judges have been known to sketchy themselves and not to be trusted, i just  dont know if I can trust them with too much power.

• Love 2

Hey Answers Wanted. NO, Actually, Bobby Started Dancing About The Third Week And Maybe His So Called Best Dance Was I Think A Fox Trot ! Joe Just Danced One Time Maybe The Week Before Semi Finals ! Any Way, IT Was Near The End OF The Season ! The Thing Is That Joe Seemed Like Maybe He Was A Nice Guy, But Maybe Kind OF Shy ! Bobby Was A Brat ! Jody

14 hours ago, realdancemom said:

True but it just stings because Bobby is so bad.   That's why so many people are upset and they're going on FB demanding changes.  Also, West Coast people are upset because they couldn't vote.  I wouldn't know how to vote last week if it wasn't for this forum.  

There has been a lot of criticism since the winner announcement, but I think that the unfairness of this season's one-night, live finale voting is a legitimate and valid complaint, regardless of who won. IMO, it's something the show should not just ignore and should take steps not to repeat in the future.

Half the country was left out of the loop about the live voting and then just told who their "winner" was. Even if the live voting were communicated clearly during the previous show, Pacific/Mountain zones should not have been forced to vote blindly (even if we would have anyway).

Having the usual two-night finale may not have made a difference, but we'll never know. It is telling that this is the first time in 27 seasons with this setup and we get the most controversial result. 

Of course, this is probably what the show wanted all along...people talking about the show. Unfortunately, I think it will come with some repercussions. There has been vocal dissent every season about the results, but this time it goes beyond people being angry that their favorite didn't win.

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 8

Hey ABC...it's really not that difficult to correct your stupid voting system.  Ideally, there should be NO home viewer participation, but I doubt that would fly. Or maybe do like the Junior series...only allow audience members to vote the last 10-15 minutes. During that time have the professionals dance as they do during commercials and/or have your special singing guest on.

And last, do NOT allow ANY voting outside of the last 15 minutes of the show. This should guarantee that most voters actually WATCHED the show. If need be, extend the voting to 15 minutes past the show. Do not post, tweet or otherwise publicize the voting numbers outside of those parameters. Hopefully, this will stop those who vote for the worst.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, MsTree said:

Hey ABC...it's really not that difficult to correct your stupid voting system.  Ideally, there should be NO home viewer participation, but I doubt that would fly. Or maybe do like the Junior series...only allow audience members to vote the last 10-15 minutes. During that time have the professionals dance as they do during commercials and/or have your special singing guest on.

And last, do NOT allow ANY voting outside of the last 15 minutes of the show. This should guarantee that most voters actually WATCHED the show. If need be, extend the voting to 15 minutes past the show. Do not post, tweet or otherwise publicize the voting numbers outside of those parameters. Hopefully, this will stop those who vote for the worst.

I like this idea, make the voting in tight time frame, only within the shows timeframe and I do like the idea about just allowing the audience to vote but what about having the studio audience vote for who should stay from the bottom two. I feel like I will actually trust them more than the judges at this point.

• Love 1

I'm guessing that most casual viewers vote shortly after the viewing the show, and that rabid fanbases are more likely to run up their vote tallies over an extended voting period??  Shortening the voting period to 1-2 hours after west coast airing might help contain rabid fanbases throughout the season.

DWTS producers had to improvise after ABC network cancelled the 2nd night of finale week.  Hopefully they'll have longer notice of any future one-night finales, so that they can plan better.

For a one-night finale, maybe they could move freestyles to semi-final week, and emphasize to semi-final viewers that they're voting for the winner.  Finale night dances (for judges' scores only) could be redemption dances, instant dances, fusion dances, showdance versions (allowing lifts and hold breaks) of previous dances, i.e. repeats or semi-repeats of dances or dance styles that were competed during the season.  And maybe just three couples in a one-night finale, so that there could be equal time for all returning celebrities.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, RomanKat said:

For a one-night finale, maybe they could move freestyles to semi-final week, and emphasize to semi-final viewers that they're voting for the winner.  Finale night dances (for judges' scores only) could be redemption dances, instant dances, fusion dances, showdance versions (allowing lifts and hold breaks) of previous dances, i.e. repeats or semi-repeats of dances or dance styles that were competed during the season.  And maybe just three couples in a one-night finale, so that there could be equal time for all returning celebrities.

I was going to suggest something similar to this except that the semi-finals week would have been the finals week.  So they would start out with less contestants.  The finals week would be the freestyles.  Then you could have overnight voting.  The following week could be fusion dances that the judges would score but there wouldn't be any voting that week.  Then you would have time for the returning celebrities.  Some of them showed up and they didn't do anything except appear up at the skybox and the parade. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, RomanKat said:

I'm guessing that most casual viewers vote shortly after the viewing the show, and that rabid fanbases are more likely to run up their vote tallies over an extended voting period??  Shortening the voting period to 1-2 hours after west coast airing might help contain rabid fanbases throughout the season.

I'm retired now but at one time I had to get up at 4am for work.  My voting then, when possible, was after the show when I'd viewed the dvr.  And actually since they took away facebook voting (which was easy for me) I haven't voted.

• Love 2

Hello Troopin Fairy. People Are NOT Lashing Out AT Bobby Because Their Favorite Did Not Win ! They Are Bashing Bobby Because He Can NOT Dance And He Just Walked And Talked During The Free Style And Did Not Even Dance ! Also, All He Did Was Whine  And Insult People ! AT Least David Ross Who Plays Base Ball With The Cubs Is A Nice Guy ! Bobby IS A Brat ! Jody

Jody can I give you a couple of tips? The capitalizing every word has already been noted but you don't have to sign your posts with your name. We all know each other here and we know who you are. Also  there are two quotation marks under a post you are responding to. You click that and it just makes it easier to understand who or what post you are referring to. Just a little friendly advice for navigating here.

Edited by howmanywords
  • Love 6

I think a good idea would be making the judges votes count more for the actual finale vote/winner. Ie. judges scoring would count 75% for the finals, and has a bigger factor on who wins. Most of the time, the judges will evenly score the better dancers left so they don't really impact much. It's only when someone is a lot worse at the end when they usually get lower scores, so I don't think the judges power would be that great. However it would help counteract a much weaker dancer winning if they scored them accurately. I don't think most want the judges just picking the winner. It would get too predictable. Whoever the statistically highest scorer was would win every year. This way, a fan favorite could still make it to the end but less likely to win if they were vastly worse than the others. Also a really good dancer that wasn't popular would still likely be eliminated earlier in the season.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, bealled said:

I think a good idea would be making the judges votes count more for the actual finale vote/winner. Ie. judges scoring would count 75% for the finals, and has a bigger factor on who wins. Most of the time, the judges will evenly score the better dancers left so they don't really impact much. It's only when someone is a lot worse at the end when they usually get lower scores, so I don't think the judges power would be that great. However it would help counteract a much weaker dancer winning if they scored them accurately. I don't think most want the judges just picking the winner. It would get too predictable. Whoever the statistically highest scorer was would win every year. This way, a fan favorite could still make it to the end but less likely to win if they were vastly worse than the others. Also a really good dancer that wasn't popular would still likely be eliminated earlier in the season.

I think the best way DWTS could avoid another Bobby situation, is for the judges to have most of the say when it comes to the semi-finals and finale portion of the show. Like an 80/20 percentage, perhaps. Judges have their agendas, but there is no way they would have given out scores for Bobby to win. They would become the biggest laughing stocks if that happened. 

• Love 1

Just wondering...if Bobby was more universally liked and if he hadn't said so many things that rubbed people the wrong way over the course of the season...would the reaction to his winning be the same?

Because while I am up for changes in the scores+votes system, it would likely mean the end of everyone's fan favorites surprising and placing higher than expected...just wondering how people would feel about that?

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, calipiano81 said:

Just wondering...if Bobby was more universally liked and if he hadn't said so many things that rubbed people the wrong way over the course of the season...would the reaction to his winning be the same?

Because while I am up for changes in the scores+votes system, it would likely mean the end of everyone's fan favorites surprising and placing higher than expected...just wondering how people would feel about that?

Of course it would be different. If Bobby was deemed a "nice guy" none of this judges get more say would be thrown out there. My question is why would anyone want some of their power/voice taken away. Even on something so insignificant as a tv show. Judges are people with their own opinions as well. I guess if you want to make it a strictly dance competition, then I would just get rid of fan vote all together and have it be a different show. The clear answer is people need to vote and sometimes we like different things than the masses do.

fyi I don't even care for Bobby. lol

• Love 2
4 hours ago, BeeBop88 said:

I think the best way DWTS could avoid another Bobby situation, is for the judges to have most of the say when it comes to the semi-finals and finale portion of the show. Like an 80/20 percentage, perhaps.

But judges don’t want to use their power. They didn’t have to give Bobby 8s and 10s. If only judges were willing to do their job separating contenders from pretenders. 

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Beatrice said:

Of course it would be different. If Bobby was deemed a "nice guy" none of this judges get more say would be thrown out there. My question is why would anyone want some of their power/voice taken away. Even on something so insignificant as a tv show. Judges are people with their own opinions as well. I guess if you want to make it a strictly dance competition, then I would just get rid of fan vote all together and have it be a different show. The clear answer is people need to vote and sometimes we like different things than the masses do.

So much this. I can see it now, Len finally retires, Maks bullies his way into the judge's seat and every season Val and Peta win. LOL

• Love 2
On 11/19/2018 at 10:16 PM, redfish said:

Long pause of death...Long pause of death...And.. it's...Bobby Bones? Seriously?

I was very disappointed that Bobby won and that Juan Pablo didn't even make it to the finals.

On 11/19/2018 at 10:05 PM, LexieLily said:

Poor Milo and Evanna.

Indeed. And what about poor Juan Pablo who didn't even make it to the finals.

On 11/19/2018 at 10:18 PM, Kira53 said:

Ha, ha! I didn't even watch Bobby's two dances.  I just fast forwarded through it.

I couldn't even watch his MC Hammer dance again. Barf!

• Love 2
On 11/26/2018 at 9:41 AM, realdancemom said:

Exactly what I did!  Once he was voted off, I knew a fix was in for the winner.  A couple season ago the same happened to Heather Morris and I stopped watching that season, too.

Someone in another thread suggested stricter dance adherence to the fundamentals and perhaps they should show the audience what to look for in a given genre dance.

• Love 1

I think the idea of having a separate technical score and performance score for each dance would be a logical and very easy change to implement. The 50/50 split stays the same, but the judges have more numbers to work with and can put a greater distinction in scoring the dances. That way, for example, a Bobby freestyle doesn't get the same score as a Milo or Evanna freestyle, even if the judges were thoroughly entertained.

It also allows for more specific acknowledgement of what the couple did well and what was not done well...Len's dislike for lack of content and "messing about" and CAI's "lift police" could factor into the technical score. Things like "you were thinking about the steps," "it was too careful," and "lack of chemistry" would go into the performance score.

If anything, it would give us all more to talk about!

I can't imagine it taking more effort than, for instance, when they had a 4th judge's score to add in or when the couples are each dancing twice in the show and get two sets of scores. They have done it on the show before...what was the problem that they had to get rid of it?

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, calipiano81 said:

For me, yes, because he didn't dance well at all, and didn't even show much, if any, improvement over the course of the season. JMHO.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, Sunnykm said:

Exactly what I did!  Once he was voted off, I knew a fix was in for the winner.  A couple season ago the same happened to Heather Morris and I stopped watching that season, too.

I don't think Heather Morris was eliminated because there was a fix in for the winner. She was eliminated because she's a professional dancer and no one wanted to see a professional dancer competing in an amateur dance competition.

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, Sunnykm said:

A couple season ago the same happened to Heather Morris

Heather was a little different, in that she had been hired on Glee originally to choreograph, which really put her in the ringer category. Juan Pablo didn't have that in his background, he is just naturally a good dancer.

6 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

I don't think Heather Morris was eliminated because there was a fix in for the winner. She was eliminated because she's a professional dancer and no one wanted to see a professional dancer competing in an amateur dance competition.

Thank you for putting this in words better than I did!

• Love 1

Hello Troopin Fairy. The Thing Is That Bobby Kept Whining And Insulting People And He Wouldn't Stop Fooling Around. He Danced Some, But He Wouldn't Dance On The Finale. IF He Would Just Floss Around The Beginning OF The Season And Skipped That At The End , Then I Liked The First Time He Did Hammer Time, But He Didn't Have To Do IT A Second Time.

• Love 1
On 11/21/2018 at 4:43 PM, Callaphera said:

I mean, what the hell is Sharna supposed to say? "Sorry guys, you're totes right, I don't deserve this. I'll just hand the win off to second place so you stop tweeting shitty things at me."? That's unreasonable and it's shitty that she's getting crap for it.

I'd be interested to see if a male pro had won with an "undeserving" (snort) celeb, would he also get the amount of crap that she's getting thrown at her? 

Agreed!  She worked hard...even if her partner was a dolt.  She can't help the way Joe Public voted.  They need to revamp the way the voter vote counts for this...and let the judges votes count for more. For the record as well...I was not a fan of Bobbie at all.

Edited by Kayce
  • Love 2

Wish Bobby hadn’t won but really not surprised.  He is identified with country music.  Don’t “country music” celebs always end up going further than their dance abilities?  This is just the first time one of the “dance challenged” country celebs actually won.  Country music fans are staunch supporters and they are avid DWTS viewers.  Bobby’s brashness and insensitivity just endear him more to this group.  They know other people didn’t like Bobby.  That just made them double down and support him more.  Kinda like sticking it to those they have deemed non-country/rural.  

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Beatrice said:

Yeah, I agree. I don't want the judges having more power. Sure a good dancer would win, but it would always be their favorites and they would fix the win. At least with voting, there is the element of surprise. Honestly I wouldn't watch the show if it the judges have any more power.

And this is coming from someone who couldn't stand Bobby lol

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

I think Heather's elimination could be a number of things. She truly came into a season where her partner maks was like a noshow for 4 weeks where Allen had to step in and become her partner. Allen wasnt exactly wellknown yet, he was just a troupe so this may have been a problem. Her being a ringer as well, since obviously female ringers seem to be an more of issue than once before but most of all I think her being without maks all that time really hurt her in the votes.

Just now, boyznkatz said:

Yeah, I agree. I don't want the judges having more power. Sure a good dancer would win, but it would always be their favorites and they would fix the win. At least with voting, there is the element of surprise. Honestly I wouldn't watch the show if it the judges have any more power.

And this is coming from someone who couldn't stand Bobby lol

^This at first I was for the judges having more power but now im not sure. As someone who has studied the judges, I dont think even they can be trusted. I kinda feel like the bottom two should be decided by the audience  on who should stay vs go home instead kinda like how dwts jr is. I believe the studio audience will do a better job than she giving the viewing public too much say.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, BeeBop88 said:

I think the best way DWTS could avoid another Bobby situation, is for the judges to have most of the say when it comes to the semi-finals and finale portion of the show. Like an 80/20 percentage, perhaps. Judges have their agendas, but there is no way they would have given out scores for Bobby to win. They would become the biggest laughing stocks if that happened. 

But.....didn't that already happen? The judges gave Bobby a 30 for his walking and talking freestyle. To me, that makes the judges look quite ineffective in their judging abilities.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

For me, yes, because he didn't dance well at all, and didn't even show much, if any, improvement over the course of the season. JMHO.

Oh yes, he did show improvement. Bobby even said in the finale he was able to finish all the steps they way they were supposed to be done. Give Bobby a cookie for that! Oh yeah, Bobby got a trophy instead.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

But.....didn't that already happen? The judges gave Bobby a 30 for his walking and talking freestyle. To me, that makes the judges look quite ineffective in their judging abilities.

I think the judges already knew who was gonna win and it wouldn't matter what score Bobby got, he was gonna be the DWTS champion. I think that is the reason why there was no Tuesday show. Bobby was so far ahead in fan votes, that having a Tuesday show would not matter. It would just be a waste of 2 hours of air time and a very good chance of Bobby pushing further ahead in fan votes.  I still stand firm in saying no way would the judges have voted for Bobby to win if there was an 80/20 system regarding the semi-finals and finale.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, BeeBop88 said:

I still stand firm in saying no way would the judges have voted for Bobby to win if there was an 80/20 system regarding the semi-finals and finale.

Well they are responsible for pimping him into the finals in the first place. He deserved 6s, not 7s and 8s like they gave him all season long. And that whole country music week shebang was a 2 hour Bobby lovefest. They already catapult their ABC tools and whomever they want into the finals, so giving them even more power would be counterproductive. 

What the really need to do is bring out the 4 and 5 paddles for contestants as bad as Joe and Bobby. That is what they deserve, and if they still win, so be it, but at least the judges don't have to help them win.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

Well they are responsible for pimping him into the finals in the first place. He deserved 6s, not 7s and 8s like they gave him all season long. And that whole country music week shebang was a 2 hour Bobby lovefest. They already catapult their ABC tools and whomever they want into the finals, so giving them even more power would be counterproductive. 

What the really need to do is bring out the 4 and 5 paddles for contestants as bad as Joe and Bobby. That is what they deserve, and if they still win, so be it, but at least the judges don't have to help them win.

Exactly, regardless of their own bias, if the judges can't even score correctly why would we trust them with more power choosing the winner. 

Edited by Beatrice
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, crossover said:

Wish Bobby hadn’t won but really not surprised.  He is identified with country music.  Don’t “country music” celebs always end up going further than their dance abilities?  This is just the first time one of the “dance challenged” country celebs actually won.  Country music fans are staunch supporters and they are avid DWTS viewers.  Bobby’s brashness and insensitivity just endear him more to this group.  They know other people didn’t like Bobby.  That just made them double down and support him more.  Kinda like sticking it to those they have deemed non-country/rural.  

I think you are unfairly lumping all country music fans into one generalized category.  I am a staunch fan of that genre...and did not even consider voting for him.  Yes, he had a huge block of fans who apparently did not care if he really learned to dance or not...and most did not even watch the show.  BTW...Bobby backs (for the most part) music that is much more pop than country.  They swallowed his story about working endless hours rehearsing...when, in fact, Sharna was doing the heavy lifting.  She flew back and forth to Nashville constantly so that he could stay put in his hometown.  Yes, he has an early morning radio show for a couple of hours each week day which he does in Nashville.  He is hardly the first celeb who had to continue their work while doing the show....and most did not bitch nearly as much about it.

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, sinycalone said:

I think you are unfairly lumping all country music fans into one generalized category.  I am a staunch fan of that genre...and did not even consider voting for him.  Yes, he had a huge block of fans who apparently did not care if he really learned to dance or not...and most did not even watch the show.  BTW...Bobby backs (for the most part) music that is much more pop than country.  They swallowed his story about working endless hours rehearsing...when, in fact, Sharna was doing the heavy lifting.  She flew back and forth to Nashville constantly so that he could stay put in his hometown.  Yes, he has an early morning radio show for a couple of hours each week day which he does in Nashville.  He is hardly the first celeb who had to continue their work while doing the show....and most did not bitch nearly as much about it.

True, and people like Normani toured in Asia without complaining. As you say, Sharna did most of the work by going to him. So he got up early. A lot of us do for work, so shut up, Bobby.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

True, and people like Normani toured in Asia without complaining. As you say, Sharna did most of the work by going to him. So he got up early. A lot of us do for work, so shut up, Bobby.

I agree.  But people fell for it.  I keep reading that he was the only one that still had a full time job while competing and he worked so hard.  So he deserves it.  Plus I read that the judges were so unfair to him and judged him too harshly.  This is because of all the complaining that Bobby has done and a little from Sharna on social media. 

I don't want the judges to have complete control though.  Then there will be no surprise.  Based on technical ability, JP would have won.  But my favorite was Milo who was still good enough technically but I enjoyed his performances more.  That's where the fans come in.  In that sense, then Bobby fans are not wrong when they found him the most entertaining.  I can't argue with that.  A lot of them don't know what to look for when it comes to the different styles and they don't care.

ETA - Don't want the judges to have complete control but I'm o.k. with changing it to a 75%/25 split.  Or having the voters only vote from the bottom two/three scorers.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 4
On 11/29/2018 at 11:26 AM, BeeBop88 said:

I think the judges already knew who was gonna win and it wouldn't matter what score Bobby got, he was gonna be the DWTS champion. I think that is the reason why there was no Tuesday show. Bobby was so far ahead in fan votes, that having a Tuesday show would not matter. It would just be a waste of 2 hours of air time and a very good chance of Bobby pushing further ahead in fan votes.  I still stand firm in saying no way would the judges have voted for Bobby to win if there was an 80/20 system regarding the semi-finals and finale.

My point is the judges should not have given an unworthy dance a score of 30. It didn't matter whether Bobby was winning and they knew it. It comes down to the judges and the show having some sense of credibility. Why bother having the judges give scores if they are not being accurate with the performance to warrant said score? I'm thinking of their lack of credibility for future seasons.

On 11/29/2018 at 11:35 AM, boyznkatz said:

Agree. Bringing out the 4 and 5 paddles will give the judges credibility. Those 10 paddles for Bobby was totally uncalled for.

• Love 9
On 11/28/2018 at 9:23 PM, calipiano81 said:

I think the idea of having a separate technical score and performance score for each dance would be a logical and very easy change to implement. The 50/50 split stays the same, but the judges have more numbers to work with and can put a greater distinction in scoring the dances. That way, for example, a Bobby freestyle doesn't get the same score as a Milo or Evanna freestyle, even if the judges were thoroughly entertained.

It also allows for more specific acknowledgement of what the couple did well and what was not done well...Len's dislike for lack of content and "messing about" and CAI's "lift police" could factor into the technical score. Things like "you were thinking about the steps," "it was too careful," and "lack of chemistry" would go into the performance score.

If anything, it would give us all more to talk about!

I can't imagine it taking more effort than, for instance, when they had a 4th judge's score to add in or when the couples are each dancing twice in the show and get two sets of scores. They have done it on the show before...what was the problem that they had to get rid of it?

They've never done separate scoring for technical merit and performance merit that I can recall, nor has any other version of DWTS. This isn't scored like figure skating.

As a judge on the now-defunct Dutch version of DWTS explained to me years ago, the judges score an individual celebrity against his or her own past performances, not relative to another celebrity's performances.  If the judges feel that they've seen an improvement in execution the current week's dance over the execution of the previous week's dance, they'll score the current week's dance higher, so a celebrity who only got a 6 for the previous week will get a 7 or higher for the current week depending on how much of an improvement the judges feel they saw. Conversely, if the current week's dance is executed more poorly than the previous week's, the current dance will be marked down relative to the previous week's, so if the previous week was an 8 but the current week wasn't up to the same level of execution, the current week will be a 7 or lower.  So an 8 for Bobby will be just that -- an 8 for Bobby only.  It doesn't have the same meaning that an 8 for Milo or for Juan Pablo would have, because an 8 for Milo or Juan Pablo is similarly a score that's relative to their own previous week's performances, not to Bobby's.

7 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

They've never done separate scoring for technical merit and performance merit that I can recall, nor has any other version of DWTS. This isn't scored like figure skating.

In Week 4 of Season 11, as a special feature of the week, they did give out separate technical and performance scores. I specifically remember Bristol Palin being criticized for doing a clean, yet lackluster, passion-less rumba, which was reflected in her performance scores being lower than her technical ones.

I never understood why the separate scoring couldn't have been made into a regular thing after that time.

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 2

Hey Baby House Man. Who All Went To The Finals From The Season With Charlie White And Meryl ? Meryl Won And I Thought She Was A Better Dancer Than Charlie ! I Don't Remember Any Horrible Dancers Like Joe OR Bobby Bones On That Season With Charlie And Meryl !

• Love 1