Type keyword(s) to search

Science Shows: Oceans, Engineering etc

auntjess
  • Start Topic

I've seen some of the Engineering Disasters  shows recently, where they were demolishing buildings, and crowds gathered around, and things didn't go as planned.
A LOT of dust and particles from the buildings escaped--on expert said they hadn't "wrapped" the building properly on one--and the crowd breathed a good bit of it.
Wouldn't building demolition dust, from 60s and 70s construction, contain asbestos?  These we 10 or so story buildings, and I keep thinking of the 9/11 people, who died in subsequent years from asbestos inhalation.

• Love 1

I'm in Florida as a transplant, alas.
I remember the one where the man in bed was killed.  It was so sad, they could hear him for a while, but there was no secure place for the rescue people to set up any crane or whatever, to reach him.
Florida and parts of the UK, with old mines underneath, seem to be the worst, although cities with collapsing drains and mains and tunnels are in the mix too.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

I'm in Florida as a transplant, alas.
I remember the one where the man in bed was killed.  It was so sad, they could hear him for a while, but there was no secure place for the rescue people to set up any crane or whatever, to reach him.
Florida and parts of the UK, with old mines underneath, seem to be the worst, although cities with collapsing drains and mains and tunnels are in the mix too.

I know, that one where the man died was so awful and sad. 

Here in the Denver metro area we've had an occasional street sinkhole, but nothing like the things I saw on that show. AFAIK they were caused by failed water pipes under the roadway, not old mine shafts or subterranean limestone collapse or gypsum being washed away.

As urban infrastructure ages, I'm sure there will be more sinkholes around here from failed underground pipes. I just hope the state and local governments have a grip on where the old mines are and don't ignore them when land is being developed.

I ended up watching a few more episodes of the show on demand. I got irritated because they reused tons of footage from one episode to another. I mean, really padding the episodes with repeated content. Bah. 

• Love 2

A&E started a new show called "When Big Things Go Wrong", which plays like a repackaging of their other show "Engineering Catastrophes".  I watched the first two episodes and it's more bridges falling, roads crumbling, trains derailing, etc. in a format where they describe the disaster, then count down the seconds to the actual event.   It also relies on various talking head "experts" who tell the audience what failure(s) lies behind the big boom.   It also reminds me of the old show "Seconds to Disaster".   

So, no new ground is uncovered, but it still piques my (morbid?) interest. 

EDIT:  I mixed up my channels - History Channel airs WBTGW, and Science Channel airs EC.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 2