Type keyword(s) to search

X-Men Franchise

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

Patrick Stewart was on the Nerdist. He talked about getting cast as Professor X. Originally he wasn't interested, but then went into Lauren Shuler Donner's office and had to ask, "Why am I on the cover of that comic?"

• Love 2
(edited)

My youngest & I were talking about this very thing yesterday. She recently watched all the X-men movies with me & enjoyed Gambit in the brief glimpse we got in Origins. She was reading info about casting & talked to me about if Tatum could do Gambit justice. She expressed concern because Tatum looks "puffy" in all the 22 Jump Street ads & she believes Gambit should not be puffy. I don't know why but I found that amusing.

You mean he's not lithe and catlike? I imagine him breaking into a house and making about as much noise as a bull in a china shop.

@Dandesun, there aren't enough thumbsup for the post you made.

Edited by Jeebus Cripes
  • Love 1

I will say this about Tatum... despite Jupiter Ascending being pushed back, the stuff I've seen of him in it doesn't look puffy at all. Plus, the guy's a dancer. I think he'd be able to do LeBeau type moves. A lot of it depends on training... what will they have Remy be doing? They did the bo staff work in Origins which is a good start but Gambit is supposed to be highly dexterous (that whole thief thing) and is a guy who can literally dance around bullets and deflect them. Not just one or two... all of them. This is a guy who is fully capable of tangling with Wolverine.

The question is... how are they going to write him? Because Marvel hasn't been particularly kind to the character for years. A lot of the current staff seem to resent him... which is kind of strange. Asmus' solo series of last year was a welcome change and Peter David has his hands on Remy now (all of which is good stuff) but for quite some time there he was languishing as nothing more than the loser point in a Rogue centered love triangle and, as far as that goes, the Remy/Rogue relationship hasn't been treated well since Claremont was writing X-Treme X-Men and that was in the early '00's!

(edited)
I don't know much about the comics, but for all intents and purposes, Wolverine is the face of the film franchise, and most of the viewing public seems fine with that.  If he wasn't so popular, I doubt he would be included as much.  Seems deeper than just writers preferring him.

See, I see it as a chicken and egg thing, because I think Wolverine's popular in large part because the writers prefer him. X2 and X3 might as well have been titled "Wolverine And His Manpain, and I guess some friends of his appear too," and while I agree that James Marsden isn't a great fit for Cyclops (though I don't think he's horribly miscast on the level of Anna Paquin or Halle Berry*), the real problem with Cyclops in the original trilogy is that they completely de-balled Scott to make Logan look better as a romantic prospect for Jean. I mean, jfc, Cyclops once single-handedly took down the entire rest of the X-Men (at least once--maybe more). You're telling me that Lady Deathstrike and one soldier could take him out? Yeah, I call BS on that. Anyway, when one character gets like 70% of the screentime and is presented as The Lead, it's kind of inevitable that they're going to become super popular. Because they're The Lead.

Don't get me wrong--I get that Wolverine is popular in the comics (even if I think Marvel at times overestimates his popularity), and certainly Hugh Jackman deserves every accolade thrown his way, because he's perfect in the role and oozes charisma. But I also feel like other characters might catch on if the movies gave a storyline--nay, even half a damn storyline--to someone else. And I share the frustration of, if Wolverine can have his own solo movies, he can take a backseat in the team movies. Joss Whedon has talked very specifically about wanting to make sure that the Avengers who don't have solo movies kind of take center stage in the team flicks (whether or not he always achieves this is debatable, but the point is the idea). I'd like the X-writers to take the same approach. The Avengers actually feels like a team, ensemble film. Except for X1, the X-Men movies just don't.

*I often struggle, though, with trying to figure out when it's a casting issue or writing issue when it comes to the X-movies. Like, Bobby is a perfect example. Shawn Ashmore is okay as Bobby, but the real problem is that movie Bobby bears absolutely no resemblance to comics Bobby. Where is the obnoxious younger brother? Where's the prankster-slacker, the guy who's always cracking a joke to keep everyone loose, who seems incapable of being serious? Take Rogue. Comics Rogue is a total ball-buster. Where is that in the writing for movies Rogue? And don't even get me started on movies Mystique, because she's a travesty when compared to comics Mystique (Emma Frost, too, come to think of it).

So I also don't think it's a coincidence that the characters that seem to be the best cast (Wolverine, both Xaviers, both Magnetos) are also the ones that are, generally speaking, the truest to their comic book characterizations. And also that they're men, because the X-writers really, really, really have a hard time writing female characters--they're the ones (Storm, Jean, Rogue, Mystique, Emma) who have suffered the most, characterization-wise, in the move to the big screen. Honestly, probably the least-harmed female character has been Kitty--and that's because she's had like ten total minutes between two movies.

Re: Channing Tatum, I don't think he looks puffy, but I agree that he doesn't have the physique of Gambit. imo, Gambit should have the physique of, like, Tom Hiddleston-plus-twenty-pounds-of-muscle. Tatum is built just a little too much like Captain America.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 2

nd also that they're men, because the X-writers really, really, really have a hard time writing female characters--they're the ones (Storm, Jean, Rogue, Mystique, Emma) who have suffered the most, characterization-wise, in the move to the big screen.

And doesn't that fly against the X-Men in so many ways? Claremont, who wrote the original stories they they want so badly to put on screen, was an absolute champion of strong, varied female characters... going into creating new characters by asking himself 'Is there any reason this character can't be a woman?' And yet, the movies have done an absolutely horrible job of portraying those female characters that had such an influence on the series.

It ain't right.

• Love 4
(edited)
See, I see it as a chicken and egg thing, because I think Wolverine's popular in large part because the writers prefer him. X2 and X3 might as well have been titled "Wolverine And His Manpain, and I guess some friends of his appear too,"

I go back to my belief that Hollywood is a business more than it is about art or staying true to the spirit of an inspired medium.  (That's why I think the studios never bothered to get most of the women cast properly.)  If the X-Men movies had completely tanked with Wolverine as the centerpiece, they wouldn't continue to make more movies.  I can't speak to comics Wolverine and his popularity, but I also don't think the studios are thinking, "WE love Wolverine, thus we shall impose our will on the viewing public."  If he didn't work for most, more movies wouldn't be made. 

Purely anecdotal, but I've yet to read comments related on media related to X-Men films where, say, Scott or some other X-Men character is largely preferred.  Granted, it's mainstream media related to the films, not the comics. Wolverine is considered badass, for better or worse.  Not saying he isn't, but other than Xavier, I've never gotten the impression the individual and collective discipline and power of the original X-Men were fully explored on film.   

Not to say that studios don't play favorites, but I also think, especially in the present with the immediate feedback of social media, public and critical reaction is weighed and measured.  Using The Avengers, for example, it definitely is more ensemble than X-Men, but I also thought it was heavy on Tony Stark/Iron Man, with the rest of the cast feeling like supporting characters at times.  A comic fan can speak up, but I thought Steve Rogers/Captain America was the leader of The Avengers? Maybe that's evolved in the comics?

I've not seen X1 in a long time, but I had the impression Wolverine was more or less the centerpiece of that film as well, it's just that the other characters, because they're being introduced, got some much deserved screen time. 

Edited by ribboninthesky1
(edited)
If the X-Men movies had completely tanked with Wolverine as the centerpiece, they wouldn't continue to make more movies.  I can't speak to comics Wolverine and his popularity, but I also don't think the studios are thinking, "WE love Wolverine, thus we shall impose our will on the viewing public."  If he didn't work for most, more movies wouldn't be made.

I don't disagree, but my point is that, if Wolverine has been the centerpiece of all the movies--even X1, as you suggest (and he was to some extent, although markedly less so than in the other films)--then it's not surprising that he's overwhelmingly popular, because he's been presented as the main character all along. I mean, you don't watch "The Dark Knight" and think "oh, that Jim Gordon is just so cool," you know? No one watches Captain America for Bucky or Peggy, or the Iron Man movies for Pepper or Rhodey. A film's most popular character is always the main character, and especially so in a genre like the superhero movie. So imo, while I agree that Wolverine is popular, it's also about opportunity--and specifically, that because other characters aren't given the opportunities the Wolverine character is given, of course they're never going to rival him in popularity, because they're not being given the opportunity to do so. When one character is given pretty much 70% of a movie, it's not hard for that character to be more popular than the 10 other characters who have to divvy up the remaining 30% of screentime.

To put it another way, if Marvel was able to find someone who could be perfect in the role (because Jackman is pretty perfect as Wolverine while Marsden isn't a great fit for Cyclops), and committed to putting on screen the truly badass Cyclops that the X-comics have featured for the past few years, and gave him the same 70% of the screentime Wolverine gets, I bet he'd be just as popular, or at least very close.

but other than Xavier, I've never gotten the impression the individual and collective discipline and power of the original X-Men were fully explored on film.

Yes, this is the problem. What I'm saying is that, if the studio were to really commit to exploring some of the other X-characters, I think more would catch on and it wouldn't seem like Wolverine>>>>>>>everyone else.

Re: Avengers, I agree that it feels a little Iron Man heavy (though I'm never sure if that's just my dislike of the character talking, as RDJ is great in the role but I want to punch Tony in the face 24/7)--though apparently if you run the numbers, it's actually Captain America leading all the Avengers in screentime in the movie. (Also, I'd argue that Steve does become the team leader by the end of the film--he's the one barking out orders in the battle, he's the one who gathers Tony and Natasha and Clint, etc.) But even slightly weighted toward Iron Man, I still think that movie feels way more like a team movie than any of the X-flicks past X1; even First Class was basically Magneto and Xavier and a bunch of mannequins.

And doesn't that fly against the X-Men in so many ways? Claremont, who wrote the original stories they they want so badly to put on screen, was an absolute champion of strong, varied female characters... going into creating new characters by asking himself 'Is there any reason this character can't be a woman?' And yet, the movies have done an absolutely horrible job of portraying those female characters that had such an influence on the series.

It ain't right.

Amen. The X-women, and especially Claremont's X-women, are absolutely the gold standard for female superheroes. So it's like triply bad that the movies are so awful with the women.

Edited by stealinghome

*I often struggle, though, with trying to figure out when it's a casting issue or writing issue when it comes to the X-movies. Like, Bobby is a perfect example. Shawn Ashmore is okay as Bobby, but the real problem is that movie Bobby bears absolutely no resemblance to comics Bobby. Where is the obnoxious younger brother? Where's the prankster-slacker, the guy who's always cracking a joke to keep everyone loose, who seems incapable of being serious? Take Rogue. Comics Rogue is a total ball-buster. Where is that in the writing for movies Rogue? And don't even get me started on movies Mystique, because she's a travesty when compared to comics Mystique (Emma Frost, too, come to think of it).

ITA. I've since watched Shawn Ashmore in a couple of things, and he's a perfectly competent actor. I'm sure if Bobby wasn't written as such a dullard, he could have brought him to life. Does anyone know if the writer(s) for the first film was a fan of the comics? I know Singer wasn't, but if the writer was a fan, then there is no excuse for such poor characterization. Shit, even if he knew nothing about the comics, there's still no excuse. You do your homework before you write the bloody movie.

• Love 1

I mean, you don't watch "The Dark Knight" and think "oh, that Jim Gordon is just so cool," you know?

Actually, I did ;) I love Jim Gordon, i don't care about Christian Bales' Batman. Keaton is my Batman.

Frankly, I have nothing against Wolverine being the lead, i have more against Mystique being the centre of everything. I dream of strong and confident Jean Grey, powerful Storm and Psylocke. The X-franchise lacks good female characters.

• Love 1
I mean, you don't watch "The Dark Knight" and think "oh, that Jim Gordon is just so cool," you know? No one watches Captain America for Bucky or Peggy, or the Iron Man movies for Pepper or Rhodey. A film's most popular character is always the main character, and especially so in a genre like the superhero movie.

I don't think the most popular character in a movie is always the lead character. Recently, the lead in Godzilla seemed to be universally disliked, although I never watched that movie. Hit-Girl from Kick-Ass was a lot more popular than the title character. Usually when I hear about The Dark Knight people are talking about the Joker, and I wouldn't watch Rises again if not for Selina.  I've personally watched a lot of movies and preferred supporting characters to someone with the most screen time, and I do watch the Iron Man movies for Pepper, the Captain America movies for Peggy, and in The Winter Soldier, Natasha. I like those movies, but I probably wouldn't have even watched The Winter Soldier in cinemas if not for Black Widow because the first movie, while fine, didn't do much for me.

I like Wolverine and thought he was used fine in Days of Future Past without taking over the movie. I would've preferred if they found a way to use Kitty, because, while she wasn't alive in 1973, they IMO could've easily just found a different way to send her back and I think the whole 'Kitty wasn't alive at the time' thing wasn't actually that important. Kitty was sent back into her younger body in the original comic, but surely, if they wanted to send the character into the past in this movie they could have just made up something that would've sent Ellen Page's Kitty back in time.  I think they just wanted a way to get Wolverine/Jackman into the movie, understandably so because he's the face of the franchise.

As others have stated, I don't think the main character is always the most popular.  I can definitely see the chicken vs egg argument for X1, but I don't think that explains the other films (all of which have made back their budgets and generated a profit).  If the viewing public overwhelmingly disliked Wolverine, and he continued to be the protagonist, I suspect the subsequent movies would've either bombed or barely generated a profit. 

In any case, as a fan of the 90s cartoon (think I'll rewatch the series), I've just never thought much of the films, and it's not solely because Wolverine is the Mary Sue of the franchise.  It essentially became a law of diminishing returns for me, which is ultimately why I didn't see the last one, and I only watched Wolverine: Origins for Liev Schreiber. I've heard The Wolverine is the superior film of the two, but I'm not remotely interested. Somebody call me when X-Men Origins: Storm, X-Men Origins: Cyclops, or X-Men: The Real Ensemble (where the studios care about the story and proper casting) hits the theater!

• Love 1
(edited)

I like Wolverine and thought he was used fine in Days of Future Past without taking over the movie.

I agree. I finally got around to seeing The Wolverine last night, and I loved it more than I thought I would. I feel like Hugh's take on Wolverine in that film, as well as DoFP is more understated, less obnoxious. I say this because I remember absolutely loving him in X1 and X2, and then he became unbearably smug and entitled in X3. Those feelings seemed to carry over into Origins for me as well, and I'll admit that I felt like I was completely over him before watching DoFP. He turned it around and made me like the character again. I'm sure having better scripts to work from helped.

Edited by Jeebus Cripes

Somebody call me when X-Men Origins: Storm, X-Men Origins: Cyclops, or X-Men: The Real Ensemble (where the studios care about the story and proper casting) hits the theater!

Right? It's frustrating because the X-Men world is FULL of interesting characters, yet I feel like Wolverine is the only one that the audience knows anything about. None of the others were developed worth a shit in the original trilogy, IMO. Frankly, I'm not sure why they bothered. Once TPTB realized that Hugh Jackman had taken off as Wolverine, they should have just made Wolvie movies and left the X-Men movies to actually be about the non-Wolverine characters.

It kills me that with such a rich cast of characters, suddenly Wolverine becomes the Sun to the X-Men universe. I get the Scott/Jean angle because that love triangle is canon, but Rogue? Why in the fuck was her story saddled to Wolverine's? Why was Rogue this clingy teen with a semi-crush on him? Why was Storm so desperate to have rebel Wolverine join them? Why did everyone look to him for leadership/help/guidance?

It's frustrating as hell because I like Hugh Jackman and I do think that he makes a great Wolverine. I just wish they wouldn't make him the focal point of everyone in the X-Men universe. He has his own movies...let other characters have some dialogue, plot and character development in the general X-Men movies...

• Love 2

I've been trying to think of storylines I'd like to see them translate to the screen to give other characters some build-up.

They could easily do a movie about the Shadow King's interest in Storm... even use that as a means of introducing Gambit as he helps her out (you don't even have to do the ageing shenanigans with Ororo, the Shadow King is plenty scary for grown ups.) That can establish Remy and Ororo's friendship and bring him into the X-fold.

Movie!Rogue is a huge issue because they established her having a pretty normal home life before her powers kicked in. As it was, Mystique and Destiny raised her after she ran away from home... which kind of begs the question of HOW they raised her because she sure wasn't a sweet girl at first. I'd love for them to retcon Rogue back to some semblance of what she was in the comics. This was a hard-nosed chick who wasn't afraid to get messy. During the Mutant Massacre her inner monologue after Colossus killed Riptide was to think that Piotr was much too gentle to do that... killing was a job for her or Wolverine. I'd love to see that Rogue in the movie... tough and dark and ready to cross that line if need be.

I think the Mutant Massacre might not be such a bad storyline to play out. (Power Pack and Thor not needed.) Or maybe do a storyline without the triangle bullshit and make us care about Scott and Jean as individuals and a pairing. I've never been a fan of the triangle in the first place and, really, the actual books just had Logan more interested in Jean, out-right pushy at times and it wasn't until editorial (who decided Jean-Phoenix had to die in the first place) wanted to resurrect her and put the original five back together, making Scott leave Madelyne and their baby and not contact her for weeks -- thus ruining him in Claremont's eyes so that when they started putting out the Classic X-Men stories, Claremont wrote a bunch of back stories in the issues to flesh out specific things, one of them being Jean's alleged wild and near uncontrollable lust/attraction to Logan.

Whatever.

Ryan Reynolds in Blade showed me he could be a better Deadpool more than when he actually played Deadpool in X-Men Origin:Wolverine.

I've never been a fan of the triangle in the first place and, really, the actual books just had Logan more interested in Jean, out-right pushy at times and it wasn't until editorial (who decided Jean-Phoenix had to die in the first place) wanted to resurrect her and put the original five back together, making Scott leave Madelyne and their baby and not contact her for weeks -- thus ruining him in Claremont's eyes

Scott leaving Madelyne was effed up, but him marrying a woman who looked exactly like Jean was just as bad! 

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
Recently, the lead in Godzilla seemed to be universally disliked, although I never watched that movie. Hit-Girl from Kick-Ass was a lot more popular than the title character.

Both leads being played by Aaron Taylor-Johnson, which I don't think is a coincidence. Dude should have listened to that old adage about working with animals or kids.

One of the things I liked about the movies is that it introduced a concept which they immediately adapted(first by Grant Morrison) in the comics which was that the Xavier is an actual school with a student body and faculty. In the comics they'd have students like the original five X-Men, then later the New Mutants or Generation X, but they never had more than ten students at the most, with just one or two adults as their teacher.

I, too, grew up on the cartoon from the 90s. I loved the show and was very excited about the movies. My favorites are X-1 and XMFC.

I've not yet tired of Wolverine yet agree it's time to give some other characters some time in the spotlight.

I agree Scott, Jean, Storm and Rogue were miscast. I loved adult Rogue. Teen Rogue in the movies when everyone else (nearly) is an adult, WTF? I'm particularly irritated about Rogue at this point. Rogue/Gambit is my het OTP for X-Men. If they decide go have them interact, it'll work age wise but I'm betting it won't live up to what I watched in the 90s.

I like Channing Tatum. I've seen him in Step Up and A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints. He was fine in both. I can't see him as Gambit though. Gambit, cartoon and all, had a certain amount of sex appeal and personality. Josh Holloway fits the bill. Channing does not have what Josh has. I love Taylor Kitsch (big FNL fan). He was fine in Battleship (not that bad of a movie IMO) and what I saw of John Carter (again not that bad), he was fine. I think he has sex appeal and personality. Still not right for Gambit. Good effort.

Not a good effort for Rogue and Storm. Halle doesn't have the gravitas that Storm requires. I would like a version where Lupita (not going to butcher her last name)

and Michael Fassbender play Storm and Magneto.

I agree Scott, Jean, Storm and Rogue were miscast. I loved adult Rogue. Teen Rogue in the movies when everyone else (nearly) is an adult, WTF? I'm particularly irritated about Rogue at this point. Rogue/Gambit is my het OTP for X-Men. If they decide go have them interact, it'll work age wise but I'm betting it won't live up to what I watched in the 90s.

I wish movie Rogue would be like in this "Ex-Men" sketch from the now cancelled Pete Holmes show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlta9iFxQE4

The new cast! Sophie Turner is Jean, Alexandra Shipp is Storm, Tye Sheridan as Scott. I'm not familiar with Shipp. Please tell me she's better than Halle Berry. And Sheridan, are they going to have more Scott? He was deeply underused. And yes, I know he's seriously overwound, but that just means there's more potential for when he finally breaks and causes mass destruction.

On a vaguely related note. In X2, when Jason Stryker is in Xavier's mind, why does he appear as a little girl? Is that his preferred self-image? He thought it would go over better with X?

• Love 1

Alexandra Shipp was in that apparently terrible Lifetime biopic about Aaliyah. With that said, I have not seen it so won't hold it against her.

I'm going to be honest I've never seen any of these in anything (really need to start watching "Game of Thrones" and really want to see "Mud"), so I can't judge but I'm blindly happy with the casting!

Alexandra Shipp was in that apparently terrible Lifetime biopic about Aaliyah. With that said, I have not seen it so won't hold it against her.

I'm going to be honest I've never seen any of these in anything (really need to start watching "Game of Thrones" and really want to see "Mud"), so I can't judge but I'm blindly happy with the casting!

Having seen the Lifetime biopic, not thrilled about Shipp.

But I think Sophie and Oscar will be just fine.

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba

I've grown very fond of ST as Sansa but I don't picture her as Jean Grey.   Jean is supposed to be physically unassuming, ST is an AMAZON.   It's the same reason I was surprised when I saw Famke Jansen had been cast.   I wonder if ST will TOWER over the newly casted Scott Summers.

Don't know any of the people casted.   But I'm not a fan of Bryan Singer, so I expected to be dissappointed.  Sigh.

• Love 1

I'm okay with it... I mean, Jean as Phoenix was supposed to be 5'6" and that was in the late 70s so she wasn't exactly diminutive. But over the years with different artists Jean has been taller and more statuesque, certainly. The only thing that might a concern is if Sophie can manage an American accent that's believable. At least I know this girl can act.

And, man, do I look forward to the possibility of absolutely no Logan crushing on Jean. And if he does, he'll look like such a creeper (which he was in the books as far as I could see for a LONG time -- sorry Claremont, I don't buy your various retcons about Jean's uncontrollable lust/desire for Logan. I just do NOT.)

Edited by Dandesun
  • Love 3

I'm okay with it... I mean, Jean as Phoenix was supposed to be 5'6" and that was in the late 70s so she wasn't exactly diminutive. But over the years with different artists Jean has been taller and more statuesque, certainly. The only thing that might a concern is if Sophie can manage an American accent that's believable. At least I know this girl can act.

And, man, do I look forward to the possibility of absolutely no Logan crushing on Jean. And if he does, he'll look like such a creeper (which he was in the books as far as I could see for a LONG time -- sorry Claremont, I don't buy your various retcons about Jean's uncontrollable lust/desire for Logan. I just do NOT.)

I couldn't care less how tall they make Jean (I'm no purist when it comes to comic book adaptations), I just hope she isn't the crushingly uninteresting drip she's portrayed as in both the films and the old animated series. Plus, Sophie Turner is a wicked good young actress, so I approve wholeheartedly.

I had wished Lupita N'yongo could have been cast as Storm, but if this is set in their early days, then I guess, at 31-32, she's too old. Pity. 

No more Wolverine? Do I dare hope?!!

• Love 4

I'm so happy that they're bringing Rose Byrne back. Loved her on Damages. I thought she did a good job in First Class, too. I wonder if they're going to age her up with make-up or something? Because if this movie is twenty years after First Class they're gonna have a problem explaining why Moira looks exactly the same as she did in the first movie even though it's been decades...

Oh god I hope they have a Dazzler cameo. There's something about her that I've always enjoyed. Her irrepressible confidence despite looking ridiculous in public was always endearing to me. She's like a comic book version of Taylor Swift. Also her outfits are super fun.

dazzler_s_costume_party_by_tunasammiches

I'm so happy that they're bringing Rose Byrne back. Loved her on Damages. I thought she did a good job in First Class, too. I wonder if they're going to age her up with make-up or something? Because if this movie is twenty years after First Class they're gonna have a problem explaining why Moira looks exactly the same as she did in the first movie even though it's been decades...

I was thinking the same thing, though Byrne was in her late 20s when she did First Class. If you say the character was early-to-mid twenties there, her playing early 40s at 35 isn't much of a stretch.

Nicholas Hoult's aging makes less sense, but I've never been sure what age Henry was ever supposed to be.

Oh, Dazzler. I've never been a fan of the character despite the fact that I think my favorite X-period was the Australia years. It's possible I didn't care for Ali because she was always a rival for Rogue who I freaking loved beyond reason at that time. That being said... her disco outfit with the roller skates and her various blue bodysuits have always been kind of fun.

She's all angry and punk again now in Uncanny. Or she was before it got hijacked by yet. another. event. so I don't even know what's going on at the moment aside from it being all insane. Still, there's something about Dazzler that just screams EIGHTIES to me... even more than Jubilee. If Taylor Swift had the ability or the wherewithall to make a complete parody of herself, she'd probably be a terrific Dazzler. But she's not there yet. Allison would have to be so beyond camp... could they get a drag queen to play her? Because that might be the only thing that would work.

• Love 2

I've been trying to think of storylines I'd like to see them translate to the screen to give other characters some build-up.

They could easily do a movie about the Shadow King's interest in Storm... even use that as a means of introducing Gambit as he helps her out (you don't even have to do the ageing shenanigans with Ororo, the Shadow King is plenty scary for grown ups.) That can establish Remy and Ororo's friendship and bring him into the X-fold.

Movie!Rogue is a huge issue because they established her having a pretty normal home life before her powers kicked in. As it was, Mystique and Destiny raised her after she ran away from home... which kind of begs the question of HOW they raised her because she sure wasn't a sweet girl at first. I'd love for them to retcon Rogue back to some semblance of what she was in the comics. This was a hard-nosed chick who wasn't afraid to get messy. During the Mutant Massacre her inner monologue after Colossus killed Riptide was to think that Piotr was much too gentle to do that... killing was a job for her or Wolverine. I'd love to see that Rogue in the movie... tough and dark and ready to cross that line if need be.

I think the Mutant Massacre might not be such a bad storyline to play out. (Power Pack and Thor not needed.) Or maybe do a storyline without the triangle bullshit and make us care about Scott and Jean as individuals and a pairing. I've never been a fan of the triangle in the first place and, really, the actual books just had Logan more interested in Jean, out-right pushy at times and it wasn't until editorial (who decided Jean-Phoenix had to die in the first place) wanted to resurrect her and put the original five back together, making Scott leave Madelyne and their baby and not contact her for weeks -- thus ruining him in Claremont's eyes so that when they started putting out the Classic X-Men stories, Claremont wrote a bunch of back stories in the issues to flesh out specific things, one of them being Jean's alleged wild and near uncontrollable lust/attraction to Logan.

Whatever.

While Carol Danvers herself isn't a dark character Rogue absorbing her to death and taking on her powers permanently could easily change Rogue into her more comic book self. But I'm hoping that they use this chance to reboot Rogue give her the Dark Brotherhood origin she's meant to have. A recast would be nice but I'm not counting on it. 

Sophie Turner being Jean Gray makes me happy as does the possibility of a Dazzler cameo.  

I have to agree with Kodi Smit-McPhee. Looking at his features, kind of odd and striking at the same time along with is lanky body type really seem like they would work for a younger Nightcrawler. My biggest bitch about X2 Nightcrawler was that Alan Cumming just really didn't fit the comic character looks wise, imo. Plus, I have heard good things about Kodi Smit_McPhee's acting so he's got them going for him to.

Edited by HeySandyStrange

Oh god I hope they have a Dazzler cameo. There's something about her that I've always enjoyed. Her irrepressible confidence despite looking ridiculous in public was always endearing to me. She's like a comic book version of Taylor Swift. Also her outfits are super fun.

dazzler_s_costume_party_by_tunasammiches

I would have loved to have seen Disco Dazzler myself in the 70s although her first appearance was in February 1980.  But if you're doing something set back in the day, Disco Dazzler is a must.

. It's possible I didn't care for Ali because she was always a rival for Rogue who I freaking loved beyond reason at that time. That being said... her disco outfit with the roller skates and her various blue bodysuits have always been kind of fun.

Well, loving Rogue is never beyond reason IMO. Ali seemed more flighty in the late 80s than when she originally appeared. I do like her enduring friendship with Betsy(Psylocke).

They have one more movie to show me what exactly Xavier finds redeemable about Magneto, because so far, he's basically been portrayed as a psychotic mass murderer who has: tried to kill a couple of hundred Americans and Russians, left Charles bleeding in the sand (after giving a five minute speech), seduced his sister, tried to kill that same sister, betrayed their plan to save the future in favour of his usual "kill everybody" agenda and dropped a stadium on him. And then he speechified some more, again with Xavier bleeding (this time on the concrete).

I mean, Fassbender and MacAvoy really work well together and we probably don't even have to discuss the amazing Ian McKellen/Patrick Stewart chemistry, but the movies need to give me something for me to see why these two are friends.

• Love 2

The first three movies with IM and PS made me think Xavier and Magneto were friends and worked together for years before they had their falling out.  However, First Class showed them only working together for a few months so I don't understand when or how they were supposed to have formed a bond that would transend all the horrible things Magneto does.

I like Hugh Jackman and Wolverine, but there are so many other X-Men characters that can be explored.  It would be nice to see them fleshed out as well.

• Love 2

The first three movies with IM and PS made me think Xavier and Magneto were friends and worked together for years before they had their falling out.  However, First Class showed them only working together for a few months so I don't understand when or how they were supposed to have formed a bond that would transend all the horrible things Magneto does.

Xavier and Magneto are like Albus Dumbledore and Gellert Grindelwald.  Enemies who deep down love each other.  My take, anyway.

The first three movies with IM and PS made me think Xavier and Magneto were friends and worked together for years before they had their falling out.  However, First Class showed them only working together for a few months so I don't understand when or how they were supposed to have formed a bond that would transend all the horrible things Magneto does.

I agree with this. I tend to find XM:FC overrated, and one of the big reasons is that Charles and Erik's five-minute bromance wasn't enough for me to justify all their later history (and particularly why Xavier just refuses to put Magneto down). I understand why everyone involved in the project wanted the climatic end to be them breaking up, but imo First Class would have been better served to end with them still working together, with a growing understanding that their views were (or were becoming) increasingly incompatible, and let a sequel build up to the break-up.

Though generally, I have found the prequel movies to be less deft with Magneto in general, and Fassbender doesn't quite bring the gravitas/nuance to the role that McKellen did. Even at his most despicable, McKellen's Magneto had a True Believer glint in his eye, a certain fanaticism that made him compelling to watch. And I didn't necessarily get the sense that he always enjoyed what he was doing, but sometimes he just thought it was distasteful but necessary. To me, Fassbender's Magneto straight-up comes off as a psychopathic serial killer looking for any excuse to kill people and recruit cult followers to his cause. He doesn't bring McKellen's twisted nobility (if that's the right word), and I don't feel he's genuinely as moved by the mutant plight as much as he just wants to watch the world burn.

With Nightcrawler being in the next movie, I wonder if Days of Future's Past changed things enough where Mystique raised Nightcrawler instead of giving him up. That would be a different take on their story. Nightcrawler would've grown up with his mother's hatred for mutant hating humans and taught to not be afraid of what he looks like. 

I agree and wish First Class had shown Charles and Erik working together more before breaking them up because there wasn't enough time for me to see the life long bond they are supposed to have. I also wish we would've gotten more of a reaction from Logan when he discovered that the Professor and Magneto were fighting over Mystique. His reaction should've been WTF, her? He also didn't react to her being Professor X's sister. You'd think that would've been something that would've surprised him even if the future Charles and Erik told him that. They tried to build this relationship between Charles, Raven and Erik, changing it from the comics but didn't really elaborate on it. 

• Love 1

With Nightcrawler being in the next movie, I wonder if Days of Future's Past changed things enough where Mystique raised Nightcrawler instead of giving him up. That would be a different take on their story. Nightcrawler would've grown up with his mother's hatred for mutant hating humans and taught to not be afraid of what he looks like. 

I agree and wish First Class had shown Charles and Erik working together more before breaking them up because there wasn't enough time for me to see the life long bond they are supposed to have. I also wish we would've gotten more of a reaction from Logan when he discovered that the Professor and Magneto were fighting over Mystique. His reaction should've been WTF, her? He also didn't react to her being Professor X's sister. You'd think that would've been something that would've surprised him even if the future Charles and Erik told him that. They tried to build this relationship between Charles, Raven and Erik, changing it from the comics but didn't really elaborate on it. 

I also hope in this version that Nightcrawler is Mystique and Azasel's son.  I to would of expected more of a reaction from Logan regarding Mystique.  I think this is the only issue with melding the two sets of movies, the continuity isn't seamless.  Professor X and Magneto have this implied past relationship that in the prequels amounts to a couple of months.  In the first set of movies there is no connection or allusion to Charles and Mystique even knowing one another. 

Don't get me wrong I like the changes, I just wished that they came up with away to address some of the inconsistencies.