Type keyword(s) to search

Guilty Pleasures: Songs You're Ashamed Of Having On Your MP3 Player

• Start Topic

Shannon L. my favorite app on my iPhone is Shazam. It listens to & identifies songs for you. Then if you want to, you can sign right into iTunes & buy the song (but you don't have to). The app is free, & saves you from having to ask people what a song is in case it turns out to be embarrassing :-)

Yeah, but if you try singing or whistling at Shazam to get it to tell you the song, it laughs in your face.  Basically.  :)

• Love 2

In an attempt to revive this thread, I'll admit I feel some level of embarrassment that upon finally seeing Boys Don't Cry, I've fallen back in love with "Bluest Eyes in Texas" by Restless Heart. That song is honestly pretty beautiful. I think I only feel guilt, because my parents like RH and if I recall correctly,  mostly all their songs sounded exactly alike. 

Also, I like R5's "Let's Not Be Alone Tonight." So much so that seeing snippits of the video on Disney Channel  all the time hasn't killed the love. 

(edited)
In an attempt to revive this thread, I'll admit I feel some level of embarrassment that upon finally seeing Boys Don't Cry, I've fallen back in love with "Bluest Eyes in Texas" by Restless Heart. That song is honestly pretty beautiful. I think I only feel guilt, because my parents like RH and if I recall correctly,  mostly all their songs sounded exactly alike.

I don't like the Restless Heart song, if only because I love the Nina Persson/Nathan Larson version from the film so very, very much.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Skrillex and Diplo Presents Jack U - Where Are U Now ft. Justin Bieber. I've never been a fan of Biebs and I was kind of waiting for him to not be A Thing any longer. I can't say any of his songs really made an impression on me. I thought me not getting it made me officially "old".

But then this dude goes and fucking gets me with this song. Ugh. It's a fucking earworm. It sounds like a Japanese import B-side from a Justin Timberlake single from his "FutureSex/LoveSounds" era, and I'm somewhat loathe to say that's actually a good look for Bieber. The older he gets the more he sounds like White Chris Brown, and like Chris, he sounds most appealing when he isn't thugging and preening. The song is disarmingly vulnerable and earnest, like he's singing to himself and to his fans all at once.

I guess the reason I like it, and this might sound weird to some people, but I love pop songs that could be spiritual. I like songs, especially EDM type songs, that sort of leave that impression. The last song I recall doing that is "Glowing" by Nikki Williams. Some of the lines in this song sound like he could be singing to God or singing about what he feels God is telling him. I don't know.

I feel super ashamed that I enjoy the song "FUN" featuring Chris Brown & Pitbull. I mean it's bad enough Pitbull is on it but then you add Chris I have anger issues Brown and it just makes it so much worse. I'll go sit in the corner now. 

Barbie Girl by Aqua

Friday by Rebecca Black (to be fair it's the For Orchestra version sans lyrics which makes it quite a catchy tune)

Various songs by Afroman, Dirt Nasty, Riff Raff and lots of Insane Clown Posse

Can't forget the ladies either, got some Kreayshawn, Lil Debbie and V-Nasty

Keep Yer Hands Off My PBR by Scuzz Twittly

• Love 1

I have "Sunshine Day" by the kids from The Brady Bunch.  And I got it before it was featured in a Comcast commercial a few years ago, so I don't even remember what caused it to pop into my head so that I would go buy it.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

This may not be as embarrassing musically as the Brady Bunch song was, but my level of enthusiasm about finally acquiring it definitely is:  "Nothin' My Love Can't Fix" by Joey Lawrence.  Several years back, I was listening to an old tape when this song, which I had taped from the radio back in high school, came up.  I thought it was cute and hearing it made me feel nostalgic, so I thought I'd get it from the iTunes Store.  Nope.  There have been a number of songs that they didn't have when I first checked that were eventually added, so I figured I'd just try again later.  This went on for probably five or six years, with me checking every few weeks (followed by me ranting about why on earth they had dozens of songs by Joey Lawrence but not the one that actually got radio airplay).  I checked Amazon and eBay for the album, but it was either really expensive or came from a sketchy seller, looking like it might not even play.  Once they even played this song over the grocery store's in-store radio station while I was shopping!  Yet it still wasn't available.  I don't think I had checked since before Thanksgiving, but I had some extra time tonight and thought I should look again, even though it seemed hopeless.  I even muttered, "It's not going to happen," but BOOM it was there!  Of course every song I purchase, I have to try three times because I get an error message the first two times (I think it's a conspiracy to get old-timers to use the streaming service instead).  I was prepared for that, but then it wouldn't connect to the store's system on the second try and I got a message on my computer that the "device is not receiving the connection."  But when I reopened iTunes, I tried again and was successful.  Then much to the cat's chagrin, I played the song to make sure it worked.  I don't know why I am so ridiculously happy to get this dumb song, but I guess the little things are important.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I'm a pop music fan. Most of what I listen to is guilty pleasure music. lol

LOL, same :D. 

But hey, if others want to mock it, that's on them. I'll just be over here dancing away to those songs :p. 

• Love 4
Just now, Annber03 said:

LOL, same :D. 

But hey, if others want to mock it, that's on them. I'll just be over here dancing away to those songs :p. 

Same here. Life can be hard. Some of us are just tryin to be happy! :)

• Love 3
On 3/29/2015 at 6:37 PM, UYI said:

Taylor Swift's "Mean". Most of it's actually fine to me, because it can be interpreted as a song for kids who have been bullied, but then I remember that she's calling out a critic who blasted her for singing off-key at the Grammys in 2010, and...yeah. That.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmInnUgJsiw 

That is the ONLY Taylor Swift song on my iPod.

I'm not ashamed of anything on my iPod.  they're all pleasurable to me, not in a guilty way.  My favorite thing to do is to put the whole thing on shuffle and I'll have Black Sabbath, then America, then Wham, then Rob Zombie, then Jim Croce, then Cheech & Chong, then Staind... you get the idea.  The greatest radio station ever.

• Love 4