Type keyword(s) to search

Scott & Bailey - General Discussion

Portia
  • Start Topic

Sugar, those are my locals too. Plus we get BBCA but I only watch Broadchurch and Orphan Black on there usually. Sometimes Dr. Who.

I have not heard of the other shows you mention in your 2nd paragraph. I will have to do some research and check them out.

And also the writers you mention. I am a great reader, especially of mysteries and detective novels. I also like sc-fi fantasy. I have heard of Tana French. Some of the British murder mysteries I follow seem to be written by Americans though - Martha Grimes & Elizabeth George.

I love Amelia Bullmore too and if the show returns I hope she returns with it.

Katusch, thank you for the info. Personally, I can see how the British method might lead to better results. We're much too aggressive in the US and hardedged. Another reason I like this show as it's very different from an American police drama. I knew about the creator having the police background, but it didn't know how authenic this show is in terms of procedures and techniques.

Do you live in Britain?

Hey everyone,

Glad to see you here in this forum. I'm going to move the posts that have nothing to do with the show into the Small Talk thread. That way all of you can talk to your hearts content there.

Carry on...maraleia

• Love 1

I watched last Tues's ep again last night/this morning (it replays on WLIW at 2 am on Sundays/Monday morning) so I got to hear Rachel's discussion with Gil Murray (or "Godzilla" as Janet was calling her last night) re: her retirement. She was rather vague and basically said she's going to retire when she's ready & she's not ready yet/don't rush her. Which gave me heart because I don't want her to leave.

Still no idea if the show is renewed for another season.

Here's something interesting that I didn't know but learned while doing some research to see if the show is continuing.  That cute guy Janet was fooling around with in a previous season, Detective Sergeant Andy Roper, is played by Nicolas Gleaves who is the actress who plays Janet's real life husband. That's kind of cool.

Edited by kat165
  • Love 1

This Tuesday ep - Jill gave her 30 days noticed and Janet (not knowing that) reported her drinking to some head lady (forget her name) who had no choice but to check it out. The ep was excellent, as usual, but left in the middle of a case & Janet on notice and possible suspension so I'm really looking forward to next wk. I was extremely bummed when it ended.

About the show cotinuing, at IMDB the series is listed as 2001--- (open ended as though it's still ongoing), but their wiki page is written as though the series is over already. I don't know which to believe.

About the show cotinuing, at IMDB the series is listed as 2001--- (open ended as though it's still ongoing), but their wiki page is written as though the series is over already. I don't know which to believe.

Are you sure about that? Because this show definitely did not start in 2001! 2010, perhaps...

I don't believe another series is planned at this point, but who knows? Anything can happen.

• Love 1

You're right Llywela, it's 2011--

Also, the eps I'm watching now are listed as from 2014 so this is their latest season. Maybe th 2015 season, if there is to be one, will come later in the year & we'll get it in 2016. So perhaps it will go on. I'll continue to hope. I love this show.

I just love this show.  Loved the scene of Gill casually checking the back seat of her car before getting in, she is still suffering from the Helen Bartlett carjacking.  My favorite scene was with Gill, Julie and Janet in Gill's office.  Three smart capable women in their fifties (at least) talking about work, wow what a concept, I don't think I've ever seen that on American TV.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 5

That's one of the reasons this show is so refreshing - it's not like American tv at all. I think tonight I just saw the last ep. Gil has retired. I found myself tearing up at her retirement party. Also, interesting note, the actress who plays Gil wrote this episode. It also appears that the older guy Rachel was seeing who broke up with her is going to back in the picture. And a few other storylines were wrapped up. If the show doesn't come back this was a fairly decent ending.

I've already checked & it's on again next week, but I don't know what season it will because I think I just saw the last ep of the last season.

I have no idea where I am in the continuity of this show as I just happened to catch an episode about 5 weeks ago on a PBS station and had never heard of it before.  Have to say I really like it and think the acting is awesome.  I like the case of the weeks and the overall story arch about the detective's lives.  I am wondering if I could get the series from the beginning on dvd in the US. 

This only its Jun 2015 in Ohio.  I guess I'll have to google about the series to see how many seasons there have been.  I have no idea if I'm seeing from the beginning and whether my local PBS station will run the whole thing or what.  Anyone know if this is available anywhere else?  Netflix, Hulu, etc?

I could be wrong but I think there are 4 seasons total as I've seen dvds for sale that say "the complete series."   I just  bought a region free dvd player so I'll probably get seasons 3 and 4 (I have 1 and 2) from the UK.  I think my local PBS station is running 3 now but not sure of the schedule. 

Anyone know if this is available anywhere else? Netflix, Hulu, etc?

I caught s1e2 on my PBS station and decided to find it. So, I signed up for hulu (after many years off), and really wish I'd checked Netflix for dvds instead. The ad situation on hulu is like having someone slap the back of your head every 4 minutes. The ads even interrupt the dialogue! And then the show returns and replays the scene it just interrupted mid-sentence. I feel I saw more in the 1 episode on PBS that in an entire season on hulu, it's really that bad. I recommend anything other than hulu!

imjagain, is Blue Murder a PBS show? S & B will be back on here tomorow night although I think the fundraiser is still on. It wasn't on last week or repeating late Sunday night. Anyway, a few shows I watch are ending so Blue Murder might be a good one to watch.

• Love 1

Imjagain, some of the eps are up on YouTube.

Tonight, Rachel's marriage continues to be a big bummer. I feel kind of badly for Sean. He may be a bloke (as Murray says), but he's a sweet guy & really seems to care about her. She's not really even giving him a chance.

• Love 1

According to Wiki: "On 31 July 2015, ITV renewed Scott & Bailey for a three-part fifth series."

It's only 3 eps, but that's good that it's coming back at all. I love this. The last ep of last season pretty much wrapped the show up,

with Jill's retirement & Rachel & Janet both planning to go off and further their careers. I'm thinking it will be a big case where just Rachel & Jill work on. I don't know who will be returning (of the rest of the team) or who will be taking Jill's place. Unless she's asked to step out of retirement. But with her drinking in the end I don't see that happening.

• Love 2

Thank you, Myril!! Sounds great. And I'm happy sister Alison ("I'm leaving you and loving you") is returning. I'm sure they will do a fantastic job with this storyline. This also gives me hope for the series continuing beyond this. The women involved sound like they're still into it. I look forward to it showing here in the states.

I will miss Jill/Gil? Murray though. She was fantastic.

• Love 1

imjagain, is Blue Murder a PBS show? S & B will be back on here tomorow night although I think the fundraiser is still on. It wasn't on last week or repeating late Sunday night. Anyway, a few shows I watch are ending so Blue Murder might be a good one to watch.

Sorry I never checked this thread again. Blue Murder was on Hulu.

April 13 it returns on ITV. I'm hoping the new episodes will be on YouTube.

Edited by imjagain

Thank you, Jolene! They haven't been showing it here for a few months & I

haven't seen any ads for a new season. What area are you in? I'm in the

NYC area and we seem to be on a different schedule than the rest of the

US. I love this show & miss it. Thanks for the heads up.

I  felt something was missing from this latest episode. I was surprised that Janet was quite so forgiving of Rachel for not keeping in touch, though that may just be because she knows her. Did like the way everyone else was unsure how to treat Rachel - "Good ole Rache" or "Gill Mark 2".

The Dark Web... not sure that's actually a good subject for the series. What I've always found appealing about Scott & Bailey is how grounded in the real world it was, but we're onto our second (well, second and third, if our heroes are right) serial killer in Manchester, which I'm pretty sure is WAY more than there really are in the UK as a whole, let alone on Manchester. Did like the little family bits - Rachel's sister saying she'd moved her vibrators because she caught her son reading by the one with the flashing light - "At least I hope that's what he was doing" and Janet trying not to freakout over her daughter Sexting her boyfriend. Regretably (though quite possibly realistically) the idea that the Sex Crimes Unit might prosecute a 16 year old for sexual activity with a 15 year old as I don't think Britain has "near age exceptions" unlike some countries (so a 16 year old having sex with a 15 year old won't be prosecuted: a 30 year old will) but an easy prosecution would boost their stats. I'll watch the rest of the series, though I think it's not as good as previous ones.

• Love 1

Thank you, Jolene! They haven't been showing it here for a few months & I

haven't seen any ads for a new season. What area are you in? I'm in the

NYC area and we seem to be on a different schedule than the rest of the

US. I love this show & miss it. Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry, kat, should've specified that it's back in the UK on Wednesday! Gonna watch it tonight hopefully.

Two out of three episodes down, I'm enjoying the mini-series so far - everyone's lives have moved a step or three forward, as they should given the passage of time. Rachel having spent time away in London was the perfect vehicle for showing those changes, as she returns to a new position and everyone must figure out how to get to grips with the new status quo. Fitting that a new, over-keen and slightly mawkish but nonetheless bright and dedicated young female detective has been brought in to make up numbers on the team, following Gill's retirement - and also only too believable that budget cuts are making themselves felt, with Gill herself not directly replaced.

I was gutted to see Mitch killed in episode two - I liked him! Rachel's deliberately careless, dispassionate attitude toward her pregnancy is very her. And Taisie's sexting storyline is very topical!

I'll watch the rest of the series, though I think it's not as good as previous ones.

Me, as well. I really miss DCI Murray. Sniff.

I too was a bit surprised at the Sexting related charges. Although given that Janet hadn't bothered to address the other mother's concerns, I guess involving the police made sense. It did seem a bit odd though that both of Janet's daughters have been involved in problematic "romantic" relationships.

Sad in a way to see this is going out (if this is the last episode) - they ended it reasonably well. I was expecting one of the two leads to go down in flames (watching it, I thought we might see either Rachel killed/crippled by the serial killer or Janet get dismissed for interfering in her daughter's case or even just retiring), but they stuck for the most part with the status quo. Rachel may get promoted to Inspector in due course and I actually grew to like the new girl who was both competent, if inexperienced and got some good lines in ("I'm a lesbian of Chinese descent - chop a leg off and I'm a shoo in for Superintendent" "If you keep shutting up every time I walk in you'll never get to any good gossiping done"). And while it required Rachel to grab the Idiot Ball at the end ("Yes, of course I will meet somebody who is meant to be staying at a secure location at Manchester Piccadilly without telling anyone!") at least she was sensible in getting herself out of it and - this is where you can tell it's a British not American series - ended it with arresting the guy, not killing him.

The least believable thing was Janet's daughter's boyfriend's mother (wow, three possessives in a row!) being such a "My boy must have been seduced by that hussy!" protective mother. While I'm sure such parents exist, it seemed unlikely given that she knew Miss Scott had stayed over - what did he think two teenagers were doing alone in their room - playing Backgammon? 

• Love 1
On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎30 at 9:16 AM, John Potts said:

The least believable thing was Janet's daughter's boyfriend's mother (wow, three possessives in a row!) being such a "My boy must have been seduced by that hussy!" protective mother. While I'm sure such parents exist, it seemed unlikely given that she knew Miss Scott had stayed over - what did he think two teenagers were doing alone in their room - playing Backgammon?

What kind of maroons were the two families, allowing the  teenagers to spend the night together? I appreciate that the show runners needed to have drama with Janet's family to balance that of Rachel's dysfunctional clan, but surely they could have done better. Perhaps have Janet's mom become involved in an internet scam or with some unbalanced superannuated Romeo.

And I admit to being sufficiently churlish  to wonder why on earth a sixteen year old was interested in a fifteen year old boy. I know I haven't liked fifteen year old boys since I was a thirteen year old girl :)

3 hours ago, dustylil said:

What kind of maroons were the two families, allowing the  teenagers to spend the night together?

That whole plotline made little sense and ended up going nowhere. I can accept that there may be parents who are cool with their kids screwing and I can accept that there are parents who can't imagine that their parents are anything other than little angels, but this storyline seemed to want to combine the two in one (I didn't imagine that Janet said her daughter had spent the night with him, did I?). For it to then be resolved with "He Sexted back so clearly wasn't an innocent - all is forgiven!" was even less likely - more likely (I would have thought) that once the wheels are set in motion it takes a hell of a lot to stop them - even if Janet's daughter was ultimately found innocent it would probably take months of legal wrangling and heartache. It's as if the plot was only included because the story was running short and they needed something to fill half an hour over the three episodes.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 04/05/2016 at 5:56 PM, dustylil said:

And I admit to being sufficiently churlish  to wonder why on earth a sixteen year old was interested in a fifteen year old boy. I know I haven't liked fifteen year old boys since I was a thirteen year old girl :)

They were in the same school year, Taisie just had her 16th birthday before her boyfriend did - there probably wasn't more than a couple of months between them. The storyline is pretty relevant, because there's been a fair amount of buzz in the news recently about kids falling foul of this law, which, as Rachel (I think) pointed out, was designed with pedophiles in mind, not a pair of kids bursting with hormones and smart phones - but if one of those kids turns 16 before the other, they can end up in the situation Taisie was here. And yes, letting them have sleepovers may not have been sensible in retrospect, but Janet honestly believed this boy had all the sexual threat of 'a castrated mole'.

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Llywela said:

And yes, letting them have sleepovers may not have been sensible in retrospect, but Janet honestly believed this boy had all the sexual threat of 'a castrated mole'.

Given the difficulties they had with the elder daughter, I would have thought Janet  - the supposedly responsible, thoughtful parent - would have had more sense. And unless she had seen a medical report or had other information, why on earth would she believe the boy to be "incapable"? Permitting the sleepovers seemed out of character for her. More like something the feckless Rachel would allow to take place.

7 hours ago, Llywela said:

The storyline is pretty relevant, because there's been a fair amount of buzz in the news recently about kids falling foul of this law, which, as Rachel (I think) pointed out, was designed with pedophiles in mind, not a pair of kids bursting with hormones and smart phones - but if one of those kids turns 16 before the other, they can end up in the situation Taisie was here

I entirely agree about its relevance - even if it did seem "shoe-horned in" for these last episodes. It is interesting how a number of  other countries have taken the "close-in-age" factor into account when crafting these laws while England has not.

Janet wasn't saying she thought the boy was incapable, it was a comment on both his and Taisie's maturity. Janet evidently read both Taisie and Sam as very young for their age, too immature to be thinking about sex, and didn't give the relationship much thought beyond that, distracted as she tends to be by work. That's what that initial phone call was showing us: even after Taisie and the boy had got into trouble with the police, Janet dismissed it as trivial, because she saw them both as babies, too young to be in any serious trouble, and left it for her mother to handle. That's been her pattern through the five seasons of the show, despite being the thoughtful, responsible one - she's turned down promotions for the sake of her kids, yes, but she's also been shown to work very long hours and spend very little time with them, she's never been the primary carer, even after her husband left. This incident snuck up on her blind side - she's so used to thinking of Taisie as the baby, while not being aware of what she and her friends are really getting up to.

Then again, I don't think not allowing sleepovers would have made much difference - they'd have found a time and place anyway, probably somewhere a lot less safe.

The law, btw, applies to the whole of the UK, not just England. ;)

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Llywela said:

The law, btw, applies to the whole of the UK, not just England. ;)

Interesting to learn. I know Scotland sometimes has different laws from those of England and I didn't want to presume.

On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 8:30 AM, Llywela said:

The storyline is pretty relevant, because there's been a fair amount of buzz in the news recently about kids falling foul of this law, which, as Rachel (I think) pointed out, was designed with pedophiles in mind, not a pair of kids bursting with hormones and smart phones

That was what was so frustrating about it: there was a real point to be made there about how laws get applied is as important as getting them passed in the first place (though no politician will admit that). In fact, politicians frequently make it worse by insisting the police/CPS "Catch more paedophiles"... so they go after the easiest ones to catch, which are the ones who don't even consider they are committing an offence (and are probably more worried about their parents catching them than anything else). Which could have been interesting... but it was all just so utterly disposable.

22 hours ago, dustylil said:

I know Scotland sometimes has different laws from those of England

Northern Ireland too - it has tighter rules on abortion, I believe. Don't worry, even those of us living in the UK don't always know what laws apply in which parts!

• Useful 1

Just finished watching the (final?) series here in NJ, thanks to Netflix.  Always been a big fan, loved the writing, the characterization, the plots.  While it was great seeing Janet, Rachel and gang, I found it to be pretty underwhelming.  I don't remember feeling the void left by a missing character as intensely as I did when I didn't see Amelia Bullmore's name in the credits.  Contrary to the title I have always thought of this show as the story of Gill, Janet and Rachel, so Gill's absence was quite jarring.  I love Pippa Heywood, but she had big pumps to fill.  Didn't like either plot, thought the Tasie subplot was ridiculous.  And I don't like the idea of a smoke-free and sober Rachel Bailey, even if it is only for nine months. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I just discovered this show, and finished Season 1, just started 2.  It seems somewhat realistic from a procedural point of view, I haven't run into any serious plot-induced stupidity, and all the characters seems realistic and well-rounded.  I really hope it does not devolve too much into soap opera, with Janet's marriage issues.  While I do like some character development, I'm not really a fan of family drama in crime shows.  I like the little touches of humor in Season 1 - like the stall in the women's restroom that was out-of-order throughout the entire season, which spanned a number of months.  Now THAT was realistic!

• Love 1