Type keyword(s) to search

Finding Bigfoot - General Discussion

• Start Topic

A place to discuss particular episodes (that do not have specific episode threads), arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Season premiere/Turtleman: Too long. They could cut Turtleman out entirely and still have a normal sized episode. Though I did like Turtleman's skeptical friend who went out with Bobo. He was funny, and he can come back.

It's really beginning to annoy me how virtually all of the sightings they collect happen during the day, and yet they only ever "investigate" in the dark.

• Love 1

I originally was going to name this thread Three True Believers..... and Ranae, but I wanted to get the name Bobo in the title. Oh, Bobes! How is it that squatches like to eat everything that YOU like to eat? Coincidence?

(edited)

Anyone else watch the 2 hour special about the 1959 incident in Russia's Ural Mountains that led off the Finding Bigfoot season premier? Unbelievably creepy, especially with all the pictures of mutilated corpses. One of the problems I had with it was that I eventually realized it was blending real stuff with re-created stuff and I frequently couldn't tell one from the other. So not a documentary but a docu-drama. I hate those.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 1

I watched - and kept in mind the whole time that this was the channel that brought us the mermaid "documentary." I don't buy for a nanosecond that the photograph, allegedly taken by the hikers, showing a perfectly clear man-like creature against a tree has never been seen before now. I suppose I could buy it if it was presented as a tiny part of a larger photo, only visible with modern enhancement. But as it was presented? Fakeity fake fake. This whole thing reminded me of the "documentary" about M. Knight Shyamalan.

Another season of me hating on Moneymaker, yay! Good God that guy is such a tool. 

Also I cannot wait for Bobo to fall down a hill again this season, 'tis always a good time.

Why did $maker assume a branch was thrown at him when a hurricane warning was in full effect? Like wind and shit were whipping the trees around yet he freaked the F out when that branch fell behind him.

The Turtleman and his rag-tag gang was fun to watch although their teeth were a mess, that alone was difficult to watch. 

I really liked this episode because it was filmed in an area that some of my distant ancestors lived in, northern Kentucky. I've never been there so it was fun to see the lay of the land and to know that it's so squatchy! 

I really liked this episode because it was filmed in an area that some of my distant ancestors lived in, northern Kentucky. I've never been there so it was fun to see the lay of the land and to know that it's so squatchy! 

Kentucky is suppose to be super squatchy! Also same with the Sierras in CA which I grew up around but I've never seen a bigfoot. :(((

I've missed the old team and the unspeakable things they do to the scientific method.  

"We didn't see any Squatches.  But this region has plenty of oxygen.  And it's well documented that Squatches need oxygen to live.  Ergo . . . Squatchy as Hell!"

• Love 5

Where do I even begin with Stumpy?! Bobo has had some lame, lame ideas, but that was the lamest. But, they did do something I've wanted someone to do for a while, which is stay in the same place for multiple nights. How do they think they're going to get anything, when they wander in and wander out again in the space of a few hours? Since squatches are supposedly so smart, and now used to people out squatching, and can be so stealthy, not to mention that a ton of sighings come from people who are just regular camping, it almost makes more sense to just sit and wait for their alleged curiosity to bring them to you.

In the latest behind the scenes special that aired right after, I learned that Bobo has a prodigious hair care routine, Cliff is still somewhat nuts, and that Ranae is "at peace" with her time on FB. Tuned out Matt's, because I don't care.

I love their "insight" that deer know when it's the first day of hunting season.  Umm, I'm pretty sure it's not because they have it marked down in their Trapper Keepers.  It because of all the folks walking around the woods with guns!  I'm not sure a deer, or a Squatch, would draw a major distinction between a hunter and a "squatcher".

And I also love how Cliff completely ignored Ranae's completely logically debunking of the "sighting" on the ATV (due to the noise made by the ATV).  Followed by Matt's debunking of the next "sighting" because, apparently, the guy's description wasn't bat-shit crazy enough.

• Love 1
(edited)

Jesus, Mary and Joseph!  I actually watched a documentary about Bigfoot, Yeti etc by actual scientists and it was very interesting........and now back to this crap....

Why did $maker assume a branch was thrown at him when a hurricane warning was in full effect?

Because, squatches know when to wait for the warning and then plan their attack - sheeeesh.

I love their "insight" that deer know when it's the first day of hunting season.  Umm, I'm pretty sure it's not because they have it marked down in their Trapper Keepers.

Don't forget that Squatches know this too and they and the deer hang out in the protected zones.  Like hunters NEVER hunt in protected zones.

I have to say I am getting sick of their absolute fantasy world.  The bear that could not be a bear?  I watched a History Channel thing on the 9 students killed in Russia in 1959 and the author of the book Mountain of the Dead came back to look at more evidence.  In the book he layed out all the different scenarios that could have taken place.  One of the many scenarios is a Russian yeti type creature.  In this show the author completely sold out and claimed it must be a yeti and went into the woods with a fury to confront the yeti.  He had rockets, huge bonfires, fireworks etc.  I want to see Bobo do that shit!

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 1

My new favorite Moneymakertism: 'That's either a picture of a bear that looks like a squatch or a picture of a squatch that looks like a bear'.  

Translation: 'That's either a bear or something that looks just like a bear'.   So it's a squatch.  I've missed you so, Matt.

• Love 1
Followed by Matt's debunking of the next "sighting" because, apparently, the guy's description wasn't bat-shit crazy enough.

I was able to debunk that sighting because the kid was smirking the entire time he was speaking. I swear, most of the town hall stories at this point are surely pranksters just wanting to get on tv, and see what garbage they can get these loonies to accept.

Everyone keeps saying that the distance was about 100 yards, but they could clearly see all these details - yellow eyes, facial details etc. 100 yards is a football field. Can anyone look at anything at the other end of a football field and describe anything about it other than that it appeared to have two arms and two legs? I don't care how big someone's head is, there's no way you're getting eye color from 100 yards away.

Everyone keeps saying that the distance was about 100 yards, but they could clearly see all these details - yellow eyes, facial details etc. 100 yards is a football field. Can anyone look at anything at the other end of a football field and describe anything about it other than that it appeared to have two arms and two legs? I don't care how big someone's head is, there's no way you're getting eye color from 100 yards away.

It's a known fact that squatch eyes are so much brighter than the eyes of other species. This is how they see us before we see them and are, therefore, the ninjas of the forest.

• Love 1
It's also a known fact that squatch eyes glow.

Well of course.  Despite the fact that glowing eyes would kill your own night vision, is entirely unknown in the animal kingdom, and makes no farking sense.  But It Is Known, so ...

Of all the preposterous nonsense these guys have blithely asserted over the years, this may be the biggest whopper.  I'm just amazed that Ranae's eyes didn't roll right out of her head when they whipped this one out. 

I have to say, our intrepid BARFers are just sounding like a broken record now.

I hate to say it, but I think those Mountain Monster guys are much more entertaining in the way they peddle bullshit in a basket.

(edited)

I am watching a rerun and just cracking up. They talk like squatches are seen all the time. All I know is they definitely proved the existence of coyotes. Lol.

Edited by cosmic1
(edited)
I hate to say it, but I think those Mountain Monster guys are much more entertaining in the way they peddle bullshit in a basket.

These gun-waving gomers got old for me pretty fast but I did realize that their nonsense is barely more laughable than the BARF party line.  If Boboes was a bit less surfer dude and a bit more Snuffy Smith, he'd fit right in.  Funny how similar they are (at least in terms of standards of evidence) given how the MM guys seem like shameless frauds and the BARF guys take themselves so seriously.

Edited by henripootel
These gun-waving gomers got old for me pretty fast but I did realize that their nonsense is barely more laughable than the BARF party line.

Come for the sodomization of the scientific method.  Stay for the potential of a friendly-fire accident.

• Love 1

Did anyone catch the end of last nights, Sunday July 6th, episode?  I tried to watch it like 6 times and kept falling asleep.  They were getting a crane and going to FINALLY spot a squatch........

Since it wasn't breaking news, I guess they didn't.  I would like to know what the heck happened in the last 10 minutes.

They spotted some poachers (they were just outside a protected area) who were after some deer. There was a lame fakeout where they tried to make like Ranae (who was on the other side of the river) was in danger. But other than that, nothing. Oh, and there was another lame fakeout where they tried to make it seem like Matt fell off the cherry picker or something. They didn't even show anything related to that "cliffhanger" when they came back from the commercial. This show's the worst.

• Love 1

Remarkably, Moneymaker didn't claim, even though it's well known, that what they saw on the thermal image was a Squatch who'd learned to carry and shoot a rifle.  

That really did shock me.

Also, we learned that Squatches are attracted to "b-flat-minor" notes.  Although b-flat-minor is a key, or a chord, but not a note.  But, . . . ah whatever.

• Love 2

I have such a hard time paying attention to this show anymore, did they ever conclude that the obviously fake video was fake? The one with a guy in a squatch suit running in the woods while the kids in front were doing a s'mores video?

I have to say that I prefer watching the 'enhanced' episodes because rather than random viewers' tweets they show comments from the team, and Ranae gives great snark.

I've missed the old team and the unspeakable things they do to the scientific method.  

"We didn't see any Squatches.  But this region has plenty of oxygen.  And it's well documented that Squatches need oxygen to live.  Ergo . . . Squatchy as Hell!"

I swear I heard Cliff say in a recent episode 'It's a scientifically known fact...'  ME: 'There are no scientifically known facts about squatches because it's not scientifically known if they exist!'

I have such a hard time paying attention to this show anymore, did they ever conclude that the obviously fake video was fake

I think they agreed that the fake video was definitely fake, but that the kids seemed so sincere that they were probably not 'in on it'.  I think they were.  Dad seemed kinda dodgy and insistent that it was all the kid's idea.  Ranae had the right of it - how convenient that this happened in a town full of squatchers with their own squatch festival (or whatever it was).  Even Boboes and Cliff didn't insist (as they usually do) that these guys being squatchers made it less likely that they were hoaxers.  Pretty sure even they knew this was fake fake fake. 

Honestly, these guys seem to be scraping bottom this season.  Kinda seems like they're not having any fun anymore, not even Boboes.  

The problem with that video is that it didn't even give the enough leeway to pull the usual "no human could [be that tall, move that fast, take such big steps . . . ]".

So instead, Matt and Bobo relied upon the fact that, instead of the camera having been mounted on a tripod (and presumably intentionally directed towards the woods in order to fake the "sighting"), the camera was . . . placed on top of a gas grill?  Nevermind the fact that the gas grill is on wheels and could be moved almost as easily as a tripod.

But Cliff did helpfully narrow down the possibilities.  It's either: a fake, a "mis-identification", or a Bigfoot.  

They spotted some poachers (they were just outside a protected area) who were after some deer. There was a lame fakeout where they tried to make like Ranae (who was on the other side of the river) was in danger. But other than that, nothing. Oh, and there was another lame fakeout where they tried to make it seem like Matt fell off the cherry picker or something. They didn't even show anything related to that "cliffhanger" when they came back from the commercial. This show's the worst.

Thanks for the recap!  I can't even find enough humor to watch the show anymore.

Anyone out there still watching? Because last night was fascinating.

Moneymaker visibly irked about the focus on Bobo and those woods being Bobo's backyard.

And then the behind the scenes episode, with a panel of skeptics who were clearly not equipped to challenge these guys and yet who still seemed to come out on top.

It didn't hurt that the guys were trying to defend such a mountain of "evidence" right after we saw an episode with a guy who either couldn't even remember (or who lied) about what way his camera was facing, and a guy who claimed to have seen 100 big foots at once, Harry and the Henderson's style (HIS reference, not my snark)

(edited)
we saw an episode with a guy who either couldn't even remember (or who lied) about what way his camera was facing, and a guy who claimed to have seen 100 big foots at once, Harry and the Henderson's style (HIS reference, not my snark)

I'm amazed this made it into the show, although I've long been convinced that they must come up against such stories all the time.  This even though it's becoming increasingly clear that the 'town meetings' are heavily stocked with BARFers.  Funny how Moneymaker considers some stories simply too outlandish to be possible but others (equally objectively unlikely) are 'hot leads'.  Also some measure of how desperate the producers must be for film - even the guy who saw invisible 'Predator' squatches made the edit, albeit with Matt gawping at his ridiculous story.

Not a good week for witnesses all around - the 'stump picture' guy seemed so dodgy even Boboes withheld his 'you saw a squatch - welcome to the club!'.  Even Matt could barely restrain himself from calling the guy a liar, and Cliff had to dig deep to still say nice things about him.  

The whole episode felt kinda pointless and tired.  Have they been renewed for a new season?  I can find no signs of it.

Edited by henripootel

Alot of interesting issues raised by this episode:

1. I'm curious about the relationship between Matt and Bobo.  I could swear that Matt had a chip on his shoulder about the attention being lathered on Bobo this episode.  I wonder if Matt resents the apparent fact that Bobo, and not him, has become the one to break through to the larger culture (and to cash in on endorsements).

2. I think that scene where they returned to the location of the "stump-squatch" was unprecedented in this series.  And it seemed 100% scripted to me.  I just wonder why they included that scene.  Was it to find a way to reconcile Matt's "this isn't even the same location" with the fact that Bobo previously vouched for the photo?  

3. That scene also included an admission that they do not feel free to speak frankly about how phony these "sightings" are when the "witnesses" are present.

4. The best case spin for that "stump-squatch" "witness" was that he forgot which was he was facing when he snapped the picture.  The direction he was facing would seem to be a fairly central fact in the whole encounter.  If something like that isn't reliable, how can they possibly accept a "witnesses" recollection about how tall the thing was or how many steps it took to cross a certain distance?  And those "facts" are usually the sole "evidence" the group uses to conclude that the "sighting" was legitimate.

5. At one point, before going to the second site, Cliff vouched for the "witness" because he was a law enforcement officer.  I wouldn't assume that all law enforcement officers have any specialized powers of detection, observation or recall, especially when it comes to smaller police departments.  Nevertheless, it turns out the "witness" was talking about a "sighting" which occurred 10 years earlier, when he was probably 15, and long before he was in law enforcement.  

To answer your ultimate question, I haven't heard anything one way or the other about renewal.  My sense is that the audience is probably there.  But, especially this season, it just seems like they've completely plumbed the depths of where/what they can investigate.

I've noticed there have been quite a few more of the "special" behind the scenes episodes this season. So they must think the audience is there, and Further Evidence seems to always be on AP. However, the new season isn't On Demand (at least on my TWC) when previous seasons have been. So I don't know what's up. And if I were any one of those skeptics in the most recent special, I'd have had to restrain myself from punching Bobo/Matt during that segment. Both of them had serious attitude, and were making their points in the worst possible way to try and win someone over.

Wikipedia lists a Season 6 to start this fall and end in Jun 2015, but I can't find anything else about it.

Wikipedia lists a Season 6 to start this fall and end in Jun 2015, but I can't find anything else about it.

That's because we're already watching it - they decided to broadcast it in the summer rather than in the fall.  Season 7 would be next but I can't find any sign there's gonna be one.

how can they possibly accept a "witnesses" recollection about how tall the thing was or how many steps it took to cross a certain distance?  And those "facts" are usually the sole "evidence" the group uses to conclude that the "sighting" was legitimate.  And those "facts" are usually the sole "evidence" the group uses to conclude that the "sighting" was legitimate.

I'll bet 9 times out of 10 they look for signs of 'credibility' in the witness, if their story sounds plausible (invisible Predator squatches, 100 Harry and the Hendersons at once - uh, no), if they sound all shook up relating it, or if they're BARFers (so you know they're reliable).  I think the guys (and markedly, not Ranae) have honed their 'investigative skills' by talking to a lot of crackpots, which includes otherwise sincere folks who tell a 'ridiculous story'.  Weed them out and whomever is left is reliable, right?  As in 'thinks it they might have seen a squatch so the burden is now on proving that they didn't.  Which can't be done, so bingo.

I think the recreations aren't so much looking for evidence so much as bolstering the claims of 'reliable' witnesses.  It's an attempt to look scientific-y, but have they ever used to it to debunk anybody?  If the figure was apparently smaller than Boboes, it was probably a juvenile.  If it was larger, it was definitely a squatch.  If it was ridiculously larger (like the occasional 12-footers they've gotten reports on), well, the witness probably got that wrong, but they were pretty upset so they definitely saw a squatch. 

That scene also included an admission that they do not feel free to speak frankly about how phony these "sightings" are when the "witnesses" are present.

We've actually seen this before if you watch the 'further evidence' episodes (as if there needs to be further evidence, amiright?).  There's been several occasions when they appear dubious in the original episode but in the pop-up thing one or more folks will flat out say they thought the witness was lying.  Even Boboes, for instance, with the girl (was it in Michigan?) who said a squatch hit her car with a bit of wood.  Not mistaken - lying.  But they didn't say anything in front of the witness and if they said anything in a talking head, it got edited out.

Ranae's Twitter indicates she's doing a lot of traveling, so maybe they are filming. She also makes sure to say that Matt is the only team member who's part of the BFRO. The other three consider themselves the "Finding Bigfoot team." I really like her - I wish she could still be on tv, just on a better show.

• Love 1
She also makes sure to say that Matt is the only team member who's part of the BFRO. The other three consider themselves the "Finding Bigfoot team."

That's interesting.  Because, as I maintained back at TWoP, I'm feeling more and more that BARF is little more than a front for Matt's grift to swindle gullible sheeple out of good money go on glorified "Bigfoot Fantasy Camps" (i.e., freeze your ass off in the woods while Moneymaker yelps "SHHHHHH!!!!!  DID YOU HEAR THAT?!?!?!?!").

I've always had the impression that Cliff and Bobo are more well-intentioned, if equally deluded.  

• Like 1
(edited)

I use BARFer as a generic catch-all meaning 'avid squatcher', but I know only Matt is actually a member of the BFRO.  There are actually a bewildering number of squatching groups, some of which are considered more scientific than others (a very generous assessment) and some dodgy (whom, for instance, pay money to landowners to claiming to have had recent encounters).  I even have one based near me, and they had a sighting not 5 miles from my house.  

I'm with Alapaki - I think Moneymaker is a shameless huckster.  The BFRO website makes fascinating reading, my favorite part being the warning that they'll prepare you so that you don't literally crap your pants when you encounter a squatch on one of their outings.  And you will 'encounter' something as (I read on rival websites) Moneymaker's outings always end up with encounters - howls or knocks in the distance, rocks thrown nearby - especially the ones where he's got a well-heeled possible donor along.  Sounds like the pot calling the kettle 'squatch-faker' to me, but it's funny how they stop short of saying 'yeah, he's a fake but my encounters - totally real'. 

Cliff now, I think Cliff is somewhere between Matt and Boboes.  Cliff is looking to make some money too but I think he'd never outright fake an encounter.  Also can't shake the impression that he and his friend he does squatch puppets with are more than friends.  No issue for me but I wonder how open the rest of the squatch community is to same-sex orientation.  

Boboes I think I have the easiest intuitive grasp on - he's a believer.  10 bucks says he's exactly who he appears to be, big, gruff, straight-forward, and fond of the single entendre.  And it's pretty obvious he can't fucking stand Moneymaker, which is pretty funny.

Ranae, I like Ranae.  She's getting paid to travel around with these bozos and (somewhat) hold her tongue at the obvious nonsense.  I could see having a beer with Ranae.  

Edited by henripootel

I agree - they all need a good clipping and possible waxing as well.  I think if it wasn't for Ranae's love of the outdoors and possibly the money, she'd have been out of there a long time ago.  I do give her credit for at least trying to be objective.

I'm struggling to make it through "The Untold Stories:Squatch in the City" because the description said they would face some "hostile" skeptics. Half the episode has been friendly ComiCon greeters and some heavy-set red head kid being treated like a guest scientist.

Oh I see, the skeptics are just regular people, not experts in biology or zoology. I guess it wouldn't be fair to have knowledgable people debate our BFROs. Oh, the "hard evidence" is footprints and blurry photos. Oh and the red hair doesn't match anything known so it must be Bigfoot. Our heroes even got the lawyer to apologize to them for not reading up on BIgfoot! Wow, where did they find these lightweights?

I did enjoy the bit in the latest episode where Matt stopped Boboes from making a squatch call in order to instruct him on how to communicate the proper message.  Seeing as this is pretty much Bobo's only claim to fame, I thought we might finally see him pop Moneymaker in the nose once and for all.  Or at least tell him "Dude, how about this - you don't tell me how to do my job and I won't tell you how to fleece donors."

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 3

National Geographic had a three part show in which a scientist performed DNA testing on hair samples. Interestingly, the Yeti sample was some sort of polar bear and the Bigfoot was usually a brown bear. What was interesting about the Bigfoot one was that it featured that guy who claims he strangled a baby bigfoot to death that I first saw on some stupid competive reality show in which the winner would get a search for Bigfoot funded.

Gird your loins, folks! I'm watching a rerun of the Yeti episode, and it seems we get a 2-hour season premiere on November 9. I'm not sure there's anywhere left to go, but no doubt they'll find somewhere, and give it a stupid and/or punny episode name.

Oh man I love watching this show when I'm brainstorming or even doing pastel sketches. Such a peaceful humming of monotony in the background.

Anywho, my mother and I recently watched one of the latest episodes...I see they haven't changed the formula much.

Matt/Mike/WhateverHisNameIs packs up the Motley Krew and head to some remote location in the U.S. which should remain quiet and untouched.

After a rendezvous in a log cabin/Hooters/semi-Irish tap where a bunch of strange characters talk honestly or stupidly about something they saw running down a road. Or climbing trees, staring at them like a pervert whilst in the shower, stalking them in the woods...

Then they head out into the pitch blackness of night on evenings where the moon, apparently, is taking her 3 day siesta. And make a lot of noise. I do enjoy Bobo's enthusiasm and just roll my eyes at Renee's diehard skepticism. Sometimes I wonder if she even believes rocks are real? By the time they get done flashing high beam lights, screaming, and snapping twigs anything with a brain is long gone. I think though if I was a squatch I'd terrorize these people just for fun. You know, throw rocks at then, shake a few trees, smear nasty stuff on their cars...