Type keyword(s) to search

The Price Is Right - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Show has an actual Tiny House for a prize and all I can think of is how out of control their prices are now (over $100k) and how the original concept has been lost.  

Still... it's more interesting than a luxury car most people couldn't afford to insure.

• Love 2

I was shocked at how much that tiny house was in cost. Affordable housing in this nation is a crisis and to take something that was once an option and price is out of the market is sad. I live in NE Minnesota, and a developer wants to develop a tiny house development with the houses started at $100k. Apparently, they are no longer actual options but status symbols.

I did wonder where he was going to put that house because you need land if you do, and I'm sure CA doesn't have cheap land anywhere.

I sub to a couple of tiny house blogs and many people put them in trailer parks until they find permanent spots.

So much depends on zoning. If you have family with a big enough property folks can sometimes get an ADU designation. And in more rural areas you may be able to rent a spot. At least until the neighbors complain.

He seemed excited about it though. 🙂 I hope he finds a way to keep it.

• Love 2

To The Penny isn't bad.  It's a little bit of a riff on the old Penny Ante game.  I'll take it over snoozers like Do The Math. 

So I'm assuming Devon is gone.  I don't think he's been on the new season and they've been doing shows with two female models, which I don't think I've seen in a while. 

Just watched. It was neat to see the old clips. I’ve been watching pretty much since Day 1. I’m 56. I usually fast forward to the games now though. I don’t even watch the spinning of the Big Wheel because I hate the stupid shout outs. It was nice to see Vanna White. There were great prizes won & lost. I’m glad they are back with a fuller audience this season.

Bob Barker was the best host and looked like a movie matinee idol with his dark hair. He was such a stud. Although, towards the end I didn’t like hearing how awful he supposedly was behind the scenes. I was surprised they showed the OG models Janice, Dian & Holly after all of the law suits. I personally wish they’d just have Rachel, Amber, Manuela and James on everyday or double what they do now. I could do without Devon and the new model Alexis Gaube (which makes no sense). Also, seeing the former announcers Johnny Olson, Rod Roddy and Rich Fields (I always forget him) was great. All in all, it was a good show and I don’t see it leaving the air anytime soon. 

26 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Also, seeing the former announcers Johnny Olson, Rod Roddy and Rich Fields (I always forget him) was great. 

No one could replace Johnny O, but Rod and Rich did a wonderful job succeeding him.

• Love 2

I finally watched the 50th special and honestly think it didn’t really need 2 hours. But there were a few good clips and the cast looked great all together in the end. The gold gowns were a nice touch.

Eta: I still wish Drew would shave off that beard but if he didn't do it for this, I can't imagine what it would take. 

On 10/4/2021 at 4:16 AM, tessaray said:

I finally watched the 50th special and honestly think it didn’t really need 2 hours. But there were a few good clips and the cast looked great all together in the end. The gold gowns were a nice touch.

My biggest disappointment was how they went out of their way to highlight how the international versions of the show have been running since 1973, and then literally all of the international clips were HD shots from the last decade or so. I don't know that we needed so many clips of a one-off UK special that wasn't even technically The Price is Right, or of the shortlived 2012 Australian revival (a catastrophic failure chiefly remembered for how they plugged the Walmart-knockoff sponsor store over 20 times in its 30-minute premiere episode and how they replaced the previous version's $600k+ showcases with $4k of crap and a Nissan Micra) when there were so many other, better versions available.

Sorry, I guess I still have a little bit of TV-induced trauma about it.

Edited by SnideAsides
  • Love 1

I wasn't a fan of giving away a car in Contestant's Row, April Fool's or not.   

I did like the gag on Balance Game.  Magnets, I assume?  

Jonathan sighting!  If they're allowed on each other's sets now maybe we'll get Mash Up Week this year.  

Drew always makes me laugh when he cracks up, like the "Bag" game. And poor Yodely Guy. They messed with the formula. 

It wasn't hilarious or anything but amusing once I realized what they were doing. 

Price is Right paid tribute to Rachel who celebrated her 20th anniversary today. They showed some old footage of Rachel and had her husband and daughter present some of the prizes.

Pluto TV has added the Drew Carey era of TPIR to it's channel line up. I love it and watch it often. I just have one complaint. Rich Fields' voice grates on me like nails on a chalkboard. Not sure how he ever got the gig for that long but am glad they have George Gray now.

• Like 1

The last episode in the Bob Barker Studio aired last week.   They made some reference to sprucing up their new home but hopefully they're not going to get too crazy in redesigning things.  The layout of the stage--three doors, the turntable/dais and contestants row--is an iconic part of the show.  I don't think anyone was a fan of the COVID season podiums.   I do wonder if the full audience will return or if they'll stick with the contestant pods.

That all assuming we get a new season anytime soon.  Drew Carey and Wayne Brady are surely members of SAG so I assuming production of TPIR and LMAD are shut down during the strike.   Mayim Bialk walked off Jeopardy before the actor's strike in solidarity with the writers and while it's not clear if Ken Jennings is a member of SAG apparently he's already getting flack for stepping in Mayim. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Maverick said:

The last episode in the Bob Barker Studio aired last week.   They made some reference to sprucing up their new home but hopefully they're not going to get too crazy in redesigning things.  The layout of the stage--three doors, the turntable/dais and contestants row--is an iconic part of the show.  I don't think anyone was a fan of the COVID season podiums.   I do wonder if the full audience will return or if they'll stick with the contestant pods.

That all assuming we get a new season anytime soon.  Drew Carey and Wayne Brady are surely members of SAG so I assuming production of TPIR and LMAD are shut down during the strike.   Mayim Bialk walked off Jeopardy before the actor's strike in solidarity with the writers and while it's not clear if Ken Jennings is a member of SAG apparently he's already getting flack for stepping in Mayim. 

Agree hope they keep it pretty consistent with the classic show

I wasn't overly fond of his Baker's Beauties shtick but respected his commitment to animals and for using his platform long before others did the same. I'm pretty sure anyone over the age of 15 with a tv has it embedded in their brain to get their pets spayed or neutered.  🙂 

Price Is Right GIF

No offense to Drew... he says it too but it isn't quite the same.

• Like 1

I watched the special last night. I forgot just how funny the show used to be and how funny Bob was! He really had a magic with the contestants. I used to always love and he would stall in revealing something and of course they showed that. 

• Like 1

Yes, having an audience will be weird.  I wonder if LMAD is going back to a full audience as well.   The audience area seems a lot smaller than the old one.  I also don't like Contestant's Row being on the same level as the stage.   It was like that for 50 years and like many other iconic elements of the set, while it was updated over the years it stayed fundamentally the same.  I hated the Covid podiums and there's a reason they went back to Contestant's Row as soon as they could. 

• Useful 1
20 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I miss having an audience. 

I feel like they found a decent balance with the pods so I was good either way.  

12 hours ago, Maverick said:

Yes, having an audience will be weird.  I wonder if LMAD is going back to a full audience as well.  

LMAD really needs the audience, imo. The contestants all seem like wannabe actors or influencers and the remote players always seemed like an afterthought. 

A normal studio audience makes the shows accessible. In a "that could be us and maybe we should go to Cali on our next vacation" kind of way. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tessaray said:

I feel like they found a decent balance with the pods so I was good either way.  

LMAD really needs the audience, imo. The contestants all seem like wannabe actors or influencers and the remote players always seemed like an afterthought. 

A normal studio audience makes the shows accessible. In a "that could be us and maybe we should go to Cali on our next vacation" kind of way. 

I didn't like the pods but yea, they needed them. I like the person being called trying to get out of the row, running down the aisle hysterically, arms waving. 

LMAD needs a normal audience for sure! 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I didn't like the pods but yea, they needed them. I like the person being called trying to get out of the row, running down the aisle hysterically, arms waving. 

LMAD needs a normal audience for sure! 

I'll be honest-- the way it was in COVID-times with the pods, I felt it would have been much easier for me to get down to the Row, because all I would have had to do was get up, go down the aisle, turn left or right, and I would be there (none of this squeezing through that was at Television City with Bob, Johnny, Rod and Rich, and was with Drew, Rich and George before COVID-times, and which Haven will have again, albeit on a smaller scale).

4 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

Drew looks younger without the beard. I was surprised when he said he didn't like Stack the Deck I think the toughest games to win are Pathfinder and Time is Money.

I think 3 Strikes is one of the hardest, because there are 5 numbers in any price, and the strikes are mixed in, so, by simple luck of the draw, you could get all three strikes at once, without even going near a number.

Conversely, I think that Hole in One might be one of the easiest, because all you really have to do to win is line the ball up with the hole, aim with the putter, and hit with the right speed and force, and you win (and even if you totally smoke up the price arrangement portion [lowest to highest], you still have a pretty good chance, just as if you got all the prices right).

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, bmasters9 said:

Conversely, I think that Hole in One might be one of the easiest, because all you really have to do to win is line the ball up with the hole, aim with the putter, and hit with the right speed and force, and you win (and even if you totally smoke up the price arrangement portion [lowest to highest], you still have a pretty good chance, just as if you got all the prices right).

That is if you can putt! I would miss.

I think Plinko is the best one to play. Unless you only have one chip and hit zero, you should be able to leave with some money. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

That is if you can putt! I would miss.

I think Plinko is the best one to play. Unless you only have one chip and hit zero, you should be able to leave with some money. 

Very true-- quite a few, however, have gotten max chips, and still come out on the short end of the stick.

29 minutes ago, bmasters9 said:

Very true-- quite a few, however, have gotten max chips, and still come out on the short end of the stick.

That is true too. I do feel the odds are better overall. I really think the worst game is Lucky Seven. Rarely do people seem to win. 

• Like 3

When they started using the pods on both Price and Deal, it made me wonder if the contestants had always been pre-chosen who would be on. I always thought it was a random draw of everyone in the audience and not predetermined.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Lurk said:

When they started using the pods on both Price and Deal, it made me wonder if the contestants had always been pre-chosen who would be on. I always thought it was a random draw of everyone in the audience and not predetermined.

In the early 90s, my uncle was a contestant on the show.  He said that reps from the show talked to the people waiting in line and made the decision on who would get to “come on down” based on their personality.  It wasn’t a random draw, at least not back then.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, CarolinaPam said:

In the early 90s, my uncle was a contestant on the show.  He said that reps from the show talked to the people waiting in line and made the decision on who would get to “come on down” based on their personality.  It wasn’t a random draw, at least not back then.

I have heard that too. 

• Like 1
On 9/26/2023 at 5:50 AM, bmasters9 said:

And George Gray's first words were apparently a blend of his predecessors Olson, Roddy and Fields: "Here it comes, from Hollywood, television's most exciting hour-- it's The Price Is Right!"

But he didn’t forge mama Mae 

• Like 1

That new studio is awful. The set design is so gaudy. The audience area is so tiny - the contestants arrive in contestants row practically before George Gray finishes saying “Come on down.” And I don’t like how there’s no elevated stage.

Oh well, times change. I did enjoy watching the early 1970s episodes on Pluto in December.