Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
yeswedo

The Price Is Right

Recommended Posts

I've put this show on my DVR. Sometimes after we eat dinner I sit in the family room with my daughter and will fire it up. My daughter seems to get a kick out of me explaining strategy to the people on the TV. A lot of "If you are the fourth of the original four called up, I don't care if the highest bid was from the first three was 10,000, just say 10,001." Then I look at my daughter and say, "I can't seem to get it through these people's heads."

Or, since she now knows this is a rule in my head, I just groan or say "Good Girl!" depending on what that last person does. Much to my daughter's amusement.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

My husband likes to explain what everyone is doing wrong (or right, on occasion) whenever I wander into the room when he's watching.  It is fascinating, the logic underlying the games.

If I ever got on the show, I'd forget all the strategy under the glare of the camera so I don't worry about. 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Oh, I’m sure being on stage would be completely different, but there is no way I wouldn’t drop every Plinko Chip right down the middle.  

My Plinko tirade involves “anyone who has been to a children’s science museum knows...”

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

OMG -- I have a snow day from work today, and just decided to watch for shits and giggles.  And I have not been disappointed!

When Drew asked the first woman who spun the wheel if she wanted to say hello to anyone, she said, "My dead husband who's in my purse."  She was toting his ashes in her purse!  Along with her passport, incidentally.

Sadly, she didn't make it to the showcase showdown.  I was looking forward to what else she might say.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/20/2019 at 11:24 AM, Browncoat said:

OMG -- I have a snow day from work today, and just decided to watch for shits and giggles.  And I have not been disappointed!

When Drew asked the first woman who spun the wheel if she wanted to say hello to anyone, she said, "My dead husband who's in my purse."  She was toting his ashes in her purse!  Along with her passport, incidentally.

There is a reason this show is still going strong. It's pretty darn entertaining.

I'm sorry I missed this episode! I've been waiting for somebody to do something interesting when Drew asks if they have anybody they'd like to say hi to. THAT would count as interesting. Heh.

I've been hoping for just one person to say, "Nope" and then look back at the wheel, but nobody has pulled the troubled loner card yet. 

As for me, I'd be tempted to say Nope just to make Drew laugh, but instead I think I'd say hi to my kids and family, and to Kate Beckinsale, you know, just in case.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

There is a reason this show is still going strong. It's pretty darn entertaining.

I'm sorry I missed this episode! I've been waiting for somebody to do something interesting when Drew asks if they have anybody they'd like to say hi to. THAT would count as interesting. Heh.

I've been hoping for just one person to say, "Nope" and then look back at the wheel, but nobody has pulled the troubled loner card yet. 

As for me, I'd be tempted to say Nope just to make Drew laugh, but instead I think I'd say hi to my kids and family, and to Kate Beckinsale, you know, just in case.

A few years ago, one person said "hi" to his future self watching the recording of him spinning the wheel.

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

3 minutes ago, tessaray said:

I once saw someone say No when asked. Drew paused for a second but it passed by pretty quickly.  

Oh man, that would have made my day!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

S47: E131

A woman gave a shout out to her husband in the audience and her 83 year old "boyfriend" at home named "Big D".

I'm sure her husband had some explaining to do to the inquiring minds around him.

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Preschoolers?  Preschoolers?  Come on, TPiR.

I know these kids episodes have to be popular, they've done them for years now, but I wish they would contain it to middle and high schoolers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm generally not a fan of the themed shows and only saw a few minutes but it was kind of cute. Well, the kids were cute at least. The poor little boy on the Yodely Guy game looked pretty confused though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

There's a car (Yes! A Hyundai) on the line and the father let his 4yo pick the final 3 numbers after he started off right with the first pick but missed the second. As a result: no car but at least the kid can flaunt his "Nintendo Switch" in the father's face! 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

8 hours ago, junemeatcleaver said:

Preschoolers?  Preschoolers?  Come on, TPiR.

I know these kids episodes have to be popular, they've done them for years now, but I wish they would contain it to middle and high schoolers.

I totally agree. The younger kids really don’t have much of a grasp on what’s going on, so they’re dazed and confused for the most part. Several times the cameraman tried to focus on the kid but only got the back of their head. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/22/2019 at 1:32 PM, tessaray said:

I'm generally not a fan of the themed shows and only saw a few minutes but it was kind of cute. Well, the kids were cute at least. The poor little boy on the Yodely Guy game looked pretty confused though.

I never saw the episode, but that game terrified me when I was younger. It would not have ended well if I was a kid doing that game (heck, even now, I get a little nervous). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Miss Chevious said:

It’s the idiots that are up to bat first in conestant’s row and then bid $1 that annoy me. Stupid, stupid, stupid! 

It's dumb, but at least bidding $1 first comes off as a genuine nervous reaction in most cases, most of the people bidding $420 are trying to be cute.  The $420 bids stopped being mildly amusing around 15 years ago.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/23/2019 at 7:39 PM, hula-la said:

I never saw the episode, but that game terrified me when I was younger. It would not have ended well if I was a kid doing that game (heck, even now, I get a little nervous). 

It used to make my son cry when he was a toddler. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

I saw part of the show today waiting in Dr's office.  A woman got on stage and won, but had to leave because of an emergency, so her husband took her place on the big wheel.  Wonder what the emergency was?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, edie3 said:

I saw part of the show today waiting in Dr's office.  A woman got on stage and won, but had to leave because of an emergency, so her husband took her place on the big wheel.  Wonder what the emergency was?

Me too. I guess we’ll never know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Anyone see today's show? It was a Mother's Day show and we finally saw George Gray's mom May.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

George's mother was on a Mother's Day before some years back, the internet tells me it was 2014.

I watched a 40 year old episode on a video sharing site and it's amazing how quiet the show used to be.  I don't mind the current noise and nonsense, I just still dislike Drew Carey's hosting. 

Share this post


Link to post

For me, Drew Carey is the best part of the show.  I like how into it he still gets, even after 10 years. Just this morning he got ridiculously excited about someone winning a car.  (I was halfway across the house and could hear it.)  I was okay with Bob Barker but by the end he was so snotty about the contestants I couldn't stand watching it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Wow, they’re getting their contestants from the shallow end of the gene pool lately. On today’s show, a woman was the third bidder and she bid 795 after the first bidder bid 800, giving herself a whopping $5.00 leeway.

Then in the Showcase Showdown, the contestant’s bid was $4600 for trips to Alaska, Texas AND China. Drew even asked him, are you sure you don’t mean $46,000? Nope, he answered, $4600. I guess he didn’t realize the trip to Alaska alone would be more than his total bid. SMH! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

6 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

Wow, they’re getting their contestants from the shallow end of the gene pool lately. On today’s show, a woman was the third bidder and she bid 795 after the first bidder bid 800, giving herself a whopping $5.00 leeway.

Then in the Showcase Showdown, the contestant’s bid was $4600 for trips to Alaska, Texas AND China. Drew even asked him, are you sure you don’t mean $46,000? Nope, he answered, $4600. I guess he didn’t realize the trip to Alaska alone would be more than his total bid. SMH! 

He looked at Drew as if "how dare you ask me again?". Anyway, I am glad he lost. Everytime a contestant decides it's showtime, lets drop to floor, scream or dance (there is part of me that wish them no luck). Plus he wore a white v neck t-shirt. Tacky! Dress for success!

Also, don't forget the genius who thought "come on down" meant bypassing the other 3, walk straight to stage and greet Drew.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

S48:E10 10/04/19

Finally! Someone won "Time is Money" before the count down. $20,000

I thought I would never see this in my life time. Almost had a Fred Sandford moment and joined Elizabeth!

Edited by mxc90
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

There will be a special prime time episode of Price is Right on the 22nd according to TV Guide. Does anyone know when Amber and Manuela will beck from maternity leave?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

 I haven't watched more than an episode or two of this show here or there for years.  Thanks to coronavirus, I'm a regular view again.  I didn't realize just how many of the pries were trips.  Maybe the makeup of prizes have changed or it's just more noticeable because of the current situation.   It was a little depressing seeing people win these trips to places like New York, Paris and Australia knowing it will be months if not years before they can take advantage of them.   But I did notice a new disclaimer at end of a show last week stating it was filmed before COVID-19 and that trip prizes may be substituted.    When the show (and Let's Make a Deal which also seems trip-heavy) is able to start filming again, I assume trips will be off the table.    

  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post

With the new normal of social distancing, courtesy of the Coronavirus, they’re not going to be able to have the studio audience anymore. Shows like TPIR and Let’s Make a Deal that rely on getting their contestants from a large group of people are probably going on hiatus and we’ll be seeing reruns soon. Sad.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/20/2019 at 9:02 AM, Miss Chevious said:

 

Then in the Showcase Showdown, the contestant’s bid was $4600 for trips to Alaska, Texas AND China. Drew even asked him, are you sure you don’t mean $46,000? Nope, he answered, $4600. I guess he didn’t realize the trip to Alaska alone would be more than his total bid. SMH! 

We did the Price is Right Live tour last year.  The prizes were a trip to Vegas, a Roomba-style vacuum cleaner, a car, and one other thing.  One woman bid $30,000 and the other bid $5,000. I'm in Canada and the first bidder is from the US, so she was actually over (probably because she was trying to figure out the exchange rate and messed up). The amazingly low bid won. Who'd have thunk it?

Share this post


Link to post

On 4/2/2020 at 3:02 AM, Miss Chevious said:

With the new normal of social distancing, courtesy of the Coronavirus, they’re not going to be able to have the studio audience anymore. Shows like TPIR and Let’s Make a Deal that rely on getting their contestants from a large group of people are probably going on hiatus and we’ll be seeing reruns soon. Sad.

 

On 4/2/2020 at 1:47 AM, Maverick said:

 I haven't watched more than an episode or two of this show here or there for years.  Thanks to coronavirus, I'm a regular view again.  I didn't realize just how many of the pries were trips.  Maybe the makeup of prizes have changed or it's just more noticeable because of the current situation.   It was a little depressing seeing people win these trips to places like New York, Paris and Australia knowing it will be months if not years before they can take advantage of them.   But I did notice a new disclaimer at end of a show last week stating it was filmed before COVID-19 and that trip prizes may be substituted.    When the show (and Let's Make a Deal which also seems trip-heavy) is able to start filming again, I assume trips will be off the table.    

I knew these shows were taped ahead when the show offered trips to China and the Final Four as prizes. They will probably offer more cash prizes as a result. Wheel of Fortune will have a harder time to compensate since the prize puzzle often determines the winner.

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/5/2020 at 2:45 AM, kathyk2 said:

I knew these shows were taped ahead when the show offered trips to China and the Final Four as prizes. They will probably offer more cash prizes as a result. Wheel of Fortune will have a harder time to compensate since the prize puzzle often determines the winner.

Today's show had someone win a 5-day trip for 4 to game 4 of the 2020 Stanley Cup final.  The NHL is still trying to figure out how to hold playoffs so hypothetically that trip could end up being to somewhere in North Dakota (if they get this idea to actually happen and allow fans at all, which is unlikely at this point).  But as @Maverick mentioned above about the disclaimer, I bet they'll either offer the contestant to kick the can until next year's final or substitute something else (maybe cash equivalent?).

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Last night's prime time special episode with RuPaul was great! Ru was "playing" to win the $$$$$ equivalent of the prizes won by the contestants for Planned Parenthood. He appeared genuinely happy & excited for each player. An older woman, with stark red hair, would have nothing to do with him, actually looked like she was trying to avoid him. (I would have been dancing with Ru the whole time I was on stage!) When The Grocery Game appeared, Drew asked when was the last time he was in a grocery store and Ru answered: about 30 years! So, needless to say, he was a fantastic cheerleader for that player who won on her own. It was just what I needed, to see & hear all of Ru's positivity and happiness for all, no matter who they were, or if they won or lost. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I thought the prizes were a little light for a prime time show but I enjoyed it.  I too noticed the one contestant with RuPaul.  I actually had a post written about it, but i was't paying full attention,  I went back and watched it and when she first gets on stage she's fine.  She even runs up and hugs Ru.  But after....she wasn't havin it.   She kept her back to him, ignored him when he tried to say something and didn't even acknowledge him when she won...but hugged Drew and the model.  It was really obvious.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/12/2020 at 7:16 PM, Maverick said:

I too noticed the one contestant with RuPaul.  I actually had a post written about it, but i was't paying full attention,  I went back and watched it and when she first gets on stage she's fine.  She even runs up and hugs Ru.  But after....she wasn't havin it.   She kept her back to him, ignored him when he tried to say something and didn't even acknowledge him when she won...but hugged Drew and the model.  It was really obvious.

That was my worry when I saw that RuPaul was going to be on. I'm sorry that he had to experience that. He was a great addition to the show, and I know that there were many who were happy to see him. [insert bad word here] to that woman!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

One thing I have noticed in this show is that the majority of nearly all contestants(besides California and the South) are from the Midwest. I just noticed a trend here and I sometimes laugh a bit. It’s like the North never was mentioned at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/15/2020 at 7:39 AM, Robert Lynch said:

One thing I have noticed in this show is that the majority of nearly all contestants(besides California and the South) are from the Midwest. I just noticed a trend here and I sometimes laugh a bit. It’s like the North never was mentioned at all. 

So many from Ohio!  I don’t know if it’s because they want to meet Drew that they make it a destination vacation, or if it’s just a coincidence.  I do like how he is also so kind and happy when an Ohio person is called up on stage.   I’ve been watching every day since WFH (usually would only get to watch on days off).  I really think Drew is a great host.  I’m also now in love with James.  🥰

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I did not care for the show when Bob Barker was the host. For many reasons, which I started to list and then decided to let it all stay in the past.

Drew is a great host. He is kind and funny and totally in the moment with each contestant. I don't actually get a chance to watch the whole show usually, even with WFH but my husband has it on in the background and ngl, I drop whatever I'm doing to go watch if Pay The Rent comes on. 🙂 

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, tessaray said:

I did not care for the show when Bob Barker was the host. For many reasons, which I started to list and then decided to let it all stay in the past.

Drew is a great host. He is kind and funny and totally in the moment with each contestant. I don't actually get a chance to watch the whole show usually, even with WFH but my husband has it on in the background and ngl, I drop whatever I'm doing to go watch if Pay The Rent comes on. 🙂 

That made me laugh out loud!  I think we all have those games that we love.  For me it’s the Mountain Climber (I know, I know), and PLINKO.  I also like the Roll ‘Em dice game with the high / Lo but I feel like they rarely play it anymore.  
 

I’ve gotten to the summer slide with my son’s distance learning (5th grade) that I let him count TPIR as math minutes last week. 🤣🤦🏻‍♀️🤫

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, geauxaway said:

That made me laugh out loud!  I think we all have those games that we love.  For me it’s the Mountain Climber (I know, I know), and PLINKO.  I also like the Roll ‘Em dice game with the high / Lo but I feel like they rarely play it anymore.  
 

I’ve gotten to the summer slide with my son’s distance learning (5th grade) that I let him count TPIR as math minutes last week. 🤣🤦🏻‍♀️🤫

I like the Yodely Guy because you can tell if the contestant watches the show and knows the usual prices. I do not understand the appeal of Plinko though.  Well, other than the cash. 🙂 

TPIR is absolutely great for teaching a lot of concepts.  

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/18/2020 at 7:49 AM, geauxaway said:

I’ve gotten to the summer slide with my son’s distance learning (5th grade) that I let him count TPIR as math minutes last week. 🤣🤦🏻‍♀️🤫

As a teacher, I totally approve!

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 5/18/2020 at 1:46 PM, tessaray said:

I like the Yodely Guy because you can tell if the contestant watches the show and knows the usual prices. I do not understand the appeal of Plinko though.  Well, other than the cash. 🙂 

TPIR is absolutely great for teaching a lot of concepts.  

From what I've read about the tax implications and the jumping through the hoops thereof of prize-heavy shows like TPIR, if I was on a game show I'd be happy to win cash, with full knowledge that I wouldn't be walking out of the place with a check for the entire amount I won.

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I’ve been watching this year’s Kids Week on YouTube, and I was kind of surprised that they let middle schoolers play on their own(I thought there would be a legal requirement to have parents onstage because they’re minors), but they were there during the Showcase round.

Share this post


Link to post

I remember the first time they did it Drew said something about how the lawyers found a way to make it work. 

This year both my local DVR recording and CBS All Access didn't show the college day. I never heard why or if it was just my area.

Share this post


Link to post

It would be nice if they could figure out a way to film safely but it doesn't seem practical. Barring that, it would be nice to see some much older episodes rather than ones that just aired a few months back.

Not too long ago there was a short-lived sitcom about a backyard bar - Abby's?  I believe they really filmed outdoors after dark.  That might be fun way to film the show.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I’ve recently been watching early episodes on YouTube, back when it was The *New* Price Is Right.  The earth tones!  The Pintos! The Vegas!  Bob Barker having to explain the rules of games, and reminding contestants to give their bids in dollars!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size