Type keyword(s) to search

The Price Is Right - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I don't normally watch this show, but it's on when I go to the gym. I gather they are in repeats this week since it was spring break today. I couldn't believe the guess the woman who was going for the VW Jetta - her 1st guess for the 1st 2 numbers was 42. Really? A VW Jetta cost over $42,000? Maybe she's never been car shopping.

There was a guy on today name Corey who was obviously using the show to build up his resume reel or something.  It seemed like he thought he auditioning for a Tyler Perry sitcom instead of TPiR.  Thankfully, he never made it out of Contestant's Row, though his last bid was, imo, purposely over-the-top stupid.

Edited by junemeatcleaver
  • Love 1

Today's show had a lunkhead named Melissa sitting in Contestant's Row.

Her first bid was $49 for a item that was over $1000.

She then spent the next two times bidding $1 lower than the contestant who just bid before her,

automatically locking herself out.

Today's show had a lunkhead named Melissa sitting in Contestant's Row.

Her first bid was $49 for a item that was over $1000.

She then spent the next two times bidding $1 lower than the contestant who just bid before her,

automatically locking herself out.

I saw this! Then she started to bid normally. I suspect that Drew or someone had a chat with her.

I doubt that they've EVER had an item for $40 during a pricing game, even in the 70s.

Boy howdy, that last contestant today really cleaned up. Last one to be called, wins the first prize, gets up on stage and wins the prize, gets $26,000 in spinning the wheel, and wins her showcase. She needed to buy a lottery ticket after that taping. She had some good karma going on.

Usually I don't mind TPiR's dumb stunts, but today's just made me roll my eyes.  Blind dates?  Ugh.  Just play the fucking game like it's always has been.

Seriously.  I didn't see the need for a week of a "love and marriage" theme.  Especially, when it would've been more appropriate two months ago.

Socially Awesome week on The Price is Right. RME. Who thinks up these themes and titles? Its a play off of "socially awkward"? It just sounds clumsy. I did like the tweets posted though. Typical the middle aged or mature HouseWive types do well today and all the Hubbies are way off on pricing things.

The treadmill thing doesn't bug me I would guess 80% of the prizes the guests don't need or can't use (appliances or patio furniture or jacuzzi for apartment renters, cars or motorcycles and some don't have license, extreme sports equipment for elderly great grannies, ect). I'd imagine they sell it or gift it to relatives.

Ok, just watched a lady blow Cliffhangers in the most amazingly stupid way. First item to guess was a white-noise-sound-generator-thing - maybe $25 bucks, right? She says, seriously, "$200." And sticks to it. And watches with a big happy smile as yodelly-guy goes right over the cliff on her very first guess. Utterly clueless about how far off her guess was.

I almost wish there was a fast-forward button for yodelly-guy when a contestant is that clueless about a price. Just have yodelly-guy rocket off the cliff at warp speed.

• Love 2

Ok, just watched a lady blow Cliffhangers in the most amazingly stupid way. First item to guess was a white-noise-sound-generator-thing - maybe $25 bucks, right? She says, seriously, "$200." And sticks to it. And watches with a big happy smile as yodelly-guy goes right over the cliff on her very first guess. Utterly clueless about how far off her guess was.

I almost wish there was a fast-forward button for yodelly-guy when a contestant is that clueless about a price. Just have yodelly-guy rocket off the cliff at warp speed.

That was too funny. Drew was giggling while trying to console the contestant.

I'm still trying to figure out how much that sailboat is worth.

• Love 1

If Jeopardy's and Wheel of Fortune's legal teams can figure out a way for kids and teens to play their shows, why can't TPiR?  These kids stand there while the parent is the only one who can legally play episodes just don't work for me.

I just forwarded to the end. The kids not playing was dumb. And, the final showcase winner won a car & boat. Somehow, I don't think the kids will be using them. It was an okay idea but just don't do it again.

• Love 1

I just forwarded to the end. The kids not playing was dumb. And, the final showcase winner won a car & boat. Somehow, I don't think the kids will be using them. It was an okay idea but just don't do it again.

They've done multiple kid and teen episodes, they're going to do again.

Ha! Loving the '70's show today. Haven't watched for a long time so thought initially Drew had changed his hairstyle but then realized it's a throwback.

That indeed it is! For a 70s throwback, it's a pretty good show. Hopefully they do just as well for the other decades. 

Ha! Loving the '70's show today. Haven't watched for a long time so thought initially Drew had changed his hairstyle but then realized it's a throwback

Yes, throw that hairstyle back!  I tuned in late yesterday and thought it was too late for April Fool's Day.

Edited by pandora spocks

Vend-O-Price looks like it's a pretty good game. It has elements of Credit Card (put a voucher--here a coin--into the slot and reveal how many there are of each of the three items); Penny Ante (the wubba-wubba sound effect that is used as the total of each row is revealed [total being determined by the quantity of the item displayed multiplied by the price of the item overall]); and Most Expensive (pick the highest-valued row [again, quantity multiplied by overall price of the item]).

Edited by bmasters9

I'm not a fan. It's just Most Expensive (already one of the least exciting games) with groceries, and I can see them screwing it up in future by having like four of the cheapest item and five of the middle item, and also the title really, really, really sucks.

• Love 1

I only recently started slowly watching [/b] Breaking Bad [/b] and so of course I had to check out Aaron Paul's appearance on PIR, bitch! It was pretty suspenseful and entertaining. If you haven't seen it i won't spoil you.

Amber had an on air goof which was pretty funny. A contestant had to pick between two prices for the prize. The comtestsnt wins and is standing next to Rachel. Drew starts to send it to a commercial with Amber by his side. She lost her footing and smashed one of the lights on the entry way with her butt. Drew is all what???? And the contestant thought she did it. Amber turned beat red and said she was dying of embarrassment. They went to commercial showing the broken glass on the stage. I love when TPIR keeps the goofs in. It's like the good ole days when Holly would fall while sitting on the arm of a couch. Too funny!!!!

• Love 1

It would have been nice to see that perfect win. I haven't been enjoying the show lately and stopped watching because of the overbearing contestants. I complained earlier in the year how I didn't like seeing people jumping up on Drew. Now I see people falling on the floor and it's just disturbing. I'd like to know what they are being told before the show on how to act. It's OK to be excited about being on the show but it's not reality to act like animals. It's just unpleasant to watch.

• Love 1

Do I have to wear a stupid shirt with a saying to "Come on Down!"? It seems no one is wearing a regular plain shirt. It's either a picture, words or a picture with words. I feel like I'm watching Lets Make a Deal.

• Love 1

I liked the Survivor edition too. As lifelong Survivor fans, my son and I really enjoyed it. We both felt bad when the woman with Woo overbid on the car and were yelling at the tv...listen to your instincts, not to him, he didn't win ! 

• Love 1
(edited)

LOL The twins, James but no Grandma damnit.   Judas not sitting with the twins though.

They must've taped this a while ago, Rachel is still pregnant.  

Edited by urusai

Just finished watching the Survivor edition -- that was fun. Although I swear they put something in Jeff Probst's coffee. All that yelling!

Who'd have thought Joe's challenge dominance would extend to price-guessing games?

Although, Survivor -- stop sending people to areas with local active Zika virus transmission! Fiji and Borneo? The game isn't supposed to be Outplay, outwit, outlive.

• Love 2

OK, so the winning team on Survivor was headed by Joe, for Big Brother, Dr. Will, and for Amazing Race...Erin and Joslyn?

I don't know if Amazing Race teams are less famewhore-y than other shows, so the choices were limited, or if I just can't remember Amazing Race teams as well as the other two shows. But there were so many teams, I was like "...Who?"

What a fun three days of TV -- I thoroughly enjoyed that. Themed prizes, hyper-caffeinated reality hosts (except for the unflappable Julie Chen), happy contestants, worthy charities. Fun trip down memory lane, and a good time had by all.

• Love 1

Ratings for the three specials:

Survivor special: 1.3/5 (6.22 million viewers)

BB special: 1.1/4 (6.41 million viewers)

TAR special: 1.2/5 (6.67 million viewers)

It is interesting though that TAR got the biggest audience. I know it's at least partly because the other two shows were up against The Voice, but it's telling that the show that's become an afterthought in the CBS schedule is the one most people were interested in seeing - and, incidentally, that rating is bigger than the TAR itself got for any episode this past season. It's almost as if moving TAR to a Friday night timeslot was a mistake. (I am not sure how Survivor had the highest rating but the smallest actual audience. Fewer people watching TV on Monday night?)

I do think it was a bad move picking only ultra-recent players and big name contestants though. Why bother to get, like, Daniel from Survivor: The Amazon to come in if there was exactly zero chance of him getting picked, especially when most of the players CBS insists are popular (Frankie Grande) and fan favourites (Frankie Grande) are some of the most hated (Frankie Grande) people (Frankie Grande) in the history (Frankie) of reality (fucking) television (Grande)? If that was the approach they were going to take, why not just get six people from each show and have one come out for each game instead?

Thanks for the ratings, SnideAsides.

With the usual disclaimer about how content isn't necessarily correlated to ratings, I think you have a point. I wonder if they should've started off with Amazing Race (or Big Brother, since it's coming back soon) and saved Survivor (their most popular show) for last, after the specials had built an audience for a few days. I read those ratings as "People didn't know it was on, and once they found out, they kept tuning in."

I think picking big name players was good for the audience at home -- but Amazing Race and I need to have a serious talk about who they consider "big name players." I couldn't pick Ashley and Ally out of a lineup, have only the vaguest recollection of Nat and Kat and after five minutes of going "Wait...what," I finally remembered the Jets cheerleaders. I also think picking polarizing players (like Mr. Grande) was by design -- Rupert and Boston Rob from Survivor both have their share of fans and detractors, but at least I knew who they were.

I just want to know when everyone started wearing the crazy shirts. Back in the day, it might be one person. Now, it's the whole audience. Hardly any person who makes it on stage isn't wearing some stupid shirt. Also, if you have no idea how the game works or is ran get the hell of the stage. If you watch at least 1 year you should now how the game works. It.drives.me.up.a.wall. Of course, I'm 52 and have watched it from the beginning. Don't judge. LOL!!!

I honestly think TPiR doesn't want contestants to know the games that well.  Remember how pissed off the show was after that guy got the perfect bid on the Showcase, I think the show is really scared if they let on some geek who watches the show everyday it would take the "fun" out of the show.  See the Esquire article about the perfect bid and how they've changed the prizes to make it harder for people to guess correctly, probably just in case a geek makes it to the stage:  http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a7922/price-is-right-perfect-bid-0810/

I like the new Hot Seat game they debuted last week. It looks like part game, part amusement park ride. That said, I wouldn't mind if they permanently retired Golden Road and Triple Play. The Big Money and Dream Car Weeks make those games pointless IMHO. I don't like That's Too Much either.

Yesterday one of the contestants was handicapped (in a wheelchair) and they had the Race-Game in the Rotation as one of the games.

I always thought if they had a physical-type game, that they would not have any handicapped (or really elderly folks) as potential contestants.

• Love 1