Type keyword(s) to search

The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value

• Start Topic

On 12/19/2020 at 4:14 PM, neona said:

I watched the clip thingy above and i don't really understand the problem about about the dress...? it looks like a totally normal dress to me. My mom just turned 60 and it looks like something she would wear in the summer? She's the most fun and interesting human I know and i can't imagine people telling her to dress like a boring nun because she's older and her knees or her arms are weird or whatever, she would just be like fuck that, LOL. 

But tbh the food stuff Mika talks about sounds really awful and crazy stressful. It's insane and ridiculous that something that should be happy like meals with your friends and family could be a cause of anxiety for some people...i honestly hope those who have this problem find a way to heal...

I remember that Mika was criticized for calling her co author of that book fat. The co author acknowledged that she was over weight & apologized to Mika. It was very odd.

3 minutes ago, nittany cougar said:

My theory about Mika's current clothing is that she wants to tone it down because Joe is insecure about men noticing her.

That makes sense. I recall that after the Matt Lauer scandal was revealed, Mika thanked Joe for warning her about Matt Lauer's behavior. 

Joe probably sent an email to NBC employees warning them that he was going steady with Mika & there would be negative consequences for trying to flirt with Mika.

• LOL 4

Hmmm I think either way is fine tbh, now and before. i know I complain a lot about the darkness etc, but that's not really a fashion complaint, it's a mood complaint, heh. when the palette is dark every day it's draining. For my part, my point was more that older women like Andrea etc shouldn't have to change just bc they get older.

Anyhoo what I actually came here to say was that our High-lemann has a podcast out with AARON SORKIN!!! of the West Wing. It's pretty epic. https://therecount.com/podcasts/hell-and-high-water   

Edited by neona
  • Love 1

I haven't been watching the twins, but I still look for stuff on Twitter.

Newsmax anchor Greg Kelly posted this.  It's a really weird picture of Mika on the cover of some magazine called Capitol File.  The twisted hand pose is just off, and the fake tan is pretty bad, too.

He also has a story on his Twitter about seeing Joe and Mika speak at an ambassador's house in DC.  Joe and Mika talked about getting Mika's salary increased in negotiations and mentioned Know Your Value.  

I've lived in Washington, DC for almost two decades and I've never seen or heard of Capitol File until today. 

Edited to add, apparently the tweet about the magazine cover has been deleted.  So here's a Facebook video of Meeks posing for the magazine. 

And here's Greg Kelly's tweet about the party. 

Edited by nittany cougar
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, nittany cougar said:

t's a really weird picture of Mika

Ha! He says if the picture turns out like that, tell them to make you look human...he doesn't know who he's dealing with here. It's Mika, the fakest fake being on morning tv. The picture suits her. She has no charisma (unless you're a married man), no charm, no wit...she just plays around and does what she thinks others expect. How ironic that she is on the cover of the "Fashion Issue". If fashion is oversized sweaters and blah tee shirts. BTW, the hair! When was this taken? Old vixen hair.

And, yeah, I'm not paying much attention to the duo. Today I watched a Christmas Cookie challenge thing on the dvr. Always lifts my spirits.

Holiday Cheer to all!

• Love 5
6 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

Ha! He says if the picture turns out like that, tell them to make you look human...he doesn't know who he's dealing with here. It's Mika, the fakest fake being on morning tv. The picture suits her. She has no charisma (unless you're a married man), no charm, no wit...she just plays around and does what she thinks others expect. How ironic that she is on the cover of the "Fashion Issue". If fashion is oversized sweaters and blah tee shirts. BTW, the hair! When was this taken? Old vixen hair.

And, yeah, I'm not paying much attention to the duo. Today I watched a Christmas Cookie challenge thing on the dvr. Always lifts my spirits.

Holiday Cheer to all!

Holiday Cheer right back to you; I am breaking out the Irish Whiskey in a bit; we are under a tornado watch.  High winds, darkness, rain for Christmas Eve.  With a very very cold front moving in.  2020 strikes...hopefully for the last time.

Everyone stay healthy and safe.  Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays.  

• Love 4
11 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

I haven't been watching the twins, but I still look for stuff on Twitter.

Newsmax anchor Greg Kelly posted this.

...Newsmax though..? I mean... 

Anyhoo, happy holidays to everyone. 2020 sucks. I spent the day googling stuff like how the fuck do I cook a turkey. I miss my parents. But also i want them to stay alive, so you know, priorities.

I hope you will all find some joy and happiness this season even in all the darkness 

Edited by neona
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, neona said:

.Anyhoo, happy holidays to everyone. 2020 sucks. I spent the day googling stuff like how the fuck do I cook a turkey. I miss my parents. But also i want them to stay alive, so you know, priorities.

I hope you will all find some joy and happiness this season even in all the darkness 

I could throw large parties and small dinner parties (with Mr. Kemper) and loved it.  But turkeys intimidate and wait to mock me.  So.  At my ripe old age, then add the horrors of this last year - as God is my witness I will never roast a turkey again.  I think the thing that did it was the last few years I used one of those "bags" ... but some (who shall remain nameless) objected to eating something that was cooked for hours in plastic.  Bless their hearts; wait till it all falls on them.  We wait.

• Love 5
On 12/24/2020 at 7:21 PM, neona said:

...Newsmax though..? I mean... 

Anyhoo, happy holidays to everyone. 2020 sucks. I spent the day googling stuff like how the fuck do I cook a turkey. I miss my parents. But also i want them to stay alive, so you know, priorities.

I've never seen Newsmax but I understand that it leans way right.

I did like Greg Kelly when he was a local guy in NY. 

I sometimes read his Twitter because he has good inside dirt.  Having briefly worked in television news several years ago, I've always been fascinated by behind the scenes stories about journalists. 

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

I've never seen Newsmax

I stumbled upon it a couple of evenings ago. Sitting there right before my very eyes was Mark Halperin! I didn't stay on the station as was clicking thru to find a show for the hubs. He had that same know it all smirk on his face. (But, alas, Mark...now WE know it all!) I'll have to find it again sometime and see what it's all about.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, oakville said:

Mika & Joe ranked 18th in the Mediaite Power rankings. Mika & Joe were called thought leaders!

https://www.mediaite.com/news/mediaites-most-influential-in-news-media-2020/6/

I saw this, too and read through the entire list.  A good many MSNBC/NBC on-air personnel were named....but does anyone remember seeing Nicole Wallace and her show mentioned?  I would go back through but there were just so many ads that it was near impossible to get through the first time.  One would think that Joe would be proud of this but does anyone wonder if he probably wonders why he was not higher?

Is it just us that finds them ridiculous, thirsty, egomaniacal shills?  But so fun to poke at.

• Love 2

I've noticed that Megan and Harry have popped up again. I wonder if Mika will dig her claws into her and induct her into the KYV Hall of Fame? Imagine! An actress turned princess turned social justice warrior who loves the limelight as much as Mika. What a "get" for her platform. Who knows what the new year will bring!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Joe is very popular...and his show gets good ratings; this would be true even if Meeka was not present.  If she and Joe ever split, his career would continue.  But Meeka, without Joe, would probably not have a job on a major network.  Maybe not her fault, but she comes across as dour and an opportunist.  She seems bored with her job and it shows.  And what a good many people can sense is how shallow and hypocritical her KYV schtick (and without Joe she would not have this) really is.

So.  It is not that I "hate" Meeka, even though I rant about her continuously.  I just can't respect her; which, if it was anyone else, would be a job killer.  But not if you are married to The Star.  But as a woman I need to say ... I guess we do what we must if something is that important to us.

I must admit she helps make the MJ discussion threads as fun (and smart) as they are.  Kudos!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, suomi said:

Joe's Truman book is #1035 on Amazon, #573 on B&N and was last seen on the NY Times Top 15 on Dec 13 at #10.

Yet sadly, Joe can always boast about him being a bestselling New York Times author.  Ominous prediction here...  I am not sure that I heard right, but sometime last week I thought I heard Joe talking about a Lincoln book.  Did anyone else hear that?  If so, hopefully by the time it is written and published, The Twins will be on Peacock or their show will be where it should be - a podcast out of their den.  

2 hours ago, Kemper said:

Yet sadly, Joe can always boast about him being a bestselling New York Times author.  Ominous prediction here...  I am not sure that I heard right, but sometime last week I thought I heard Joe talking about a Lincoln book.  Did anyone else hear that?  If so, hopefully by the time it is written and published, The Twins will be on Peacock or their show will be where it should be - a podcast out of their den.  

I find it interesting that Joe was in the process of writing a book in the fall of 2019 about the last days of the Trump Presidency. The working title was "This ends badly". The book market for Trump was saturated, so Joe decided to write a book about President Truman.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

But if he had gone ahead and written it, he would have been hailed as a visionary! He could have “dined out” on that for years.  But it probably would not have been the blockbuster that the Truman book has been.  Blockbuster! Movie rights coming! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

MSNBC Inauguration schedule here: http://press.nbcnews.com/2021/01/13/one-week-from-today-nbc-news-msnbc-and-nbc-news-now-to-air-special-all-day-coverage-of-the-inauguration-of-joseph-r-biden-jr-and-kamala-d-harris/

Joe and Mika are on from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. on MSNBC....then Joy, Rachel and Nicolle are taking over from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m.! Nine whole hours yay!!

apparently Joe Mika and Willie are also doing parallel coverage at the same time, on Peacock.

I honestly don't get this, why not give them an extra couple of hours on MSNBC instead, like 5 a.m. to 10 a.m. or something? 

They did this parallel online coverage thing on election day and I tried to be super loyal to everyone by watching both at the same time, but it was impossible!! 

And they said the thing on Peacock was a "special" but it was the same, they didnt' go into any studio or location or put Joe and Mika back together again or anything, it was basically like an ordinary day in the boring boxes, and Mika wasn't even there most of the time, it was mostly Joe, and there was no laughter or energy like there was with Rachel & Joy & Nicolle (and Michael Steele!!).

Also Willie was at the board doing "electoral math" but it kinda looked like a person trying to speak a foreign language by having someone whisper into their ear what to say, soooo in the end I had to switch back to Kornacki who actually lives and breathes that stuff....

I would be legit excited about this if I believed the Peacock inauguration special was actually going to be a real special like in the old days, but I don't think it will be...

But!!! one potentially exciting thing about the Peacock thing is they are giving some time to Ayman and Katy Tur together at 1 p.m. -- I remember them literally in the middle of the night doing election coverage with Ali Velshi - the three of them had this great chemistry and just went off on random, interesting tangents about health care and Dominos Pizza, and it was like a real unscripted conversation, and it was *sooo good*. So that might be something to look out for, YMMV.

Edited by neona
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, neona said:

I honestly don't get this, why not give them an extra couple of hours on MSNBC instead, like 5 a.m. to 10 a.m. or something? 

Why would anyone at MSNBC want to preempt their regular hosts for Joe and Mika?  Their marquee stars are Rachel, Nicolle, and Joy, with BriWi as their news anchor guy.  Joe doesn't know how to do real time commentary, and Mika can't function without a script.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

Joe doesn't know how to do real time commentary, and Mika can't function without a script.

The marquee talent you mentioned can deliver intelligent commentary and analysis on the spur of the moment while actually listening to others who are speaking. You know, like a real news team.

Joe sucks the oxygen out of a room and is the definition of "not a team player."

Mika barely functions at an acceptable standard even with a script. 

If the ratio of their format was applied across the board the MSNBC news talent would do 40/20 shows. Forty minutes live and twenty minutes of a highlights reel.

Think about that, management.

Edited by suomi
typo
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, neona said:

MSNBC Inauguration schedule here: http://press.nbcnews.com/2021/01/13/one-week-from-today-nbc-news-msnbc-and-nbc-news-now-to-air-special-all-day-coverage-of-the-inauguration-of-joseph-r-biden-jr-and-kamala-d-harris/

Joe and Mika are on from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. on MSNBC....then Joy, Rachel and Nicolle are taking over from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m.! Nine whole hours yay!!

apparently Joe Mika and Willie are also doing parallel coverage at the same time, on Peacock.

I would be legit excited about this if I believed the Peacock election special was actually going to be a real special like in the old days, but I don't think it will be...

I think Joe will be playing clips of the many times he was sworn into Congress and his Inaugural Balls in Pensacola. It was broadcast on the local Pensacola Cable access show.

Rashida Jones convinced Chuck Todd to stay off MSNBC for the Inauguration. He will be antagonizing viewers on NBC. Hopefully , Lester Holt & Savannah Guthrie will convince Chuck to keep quiet during the ceremony .

• LOL 6

From oakville's link:

The irony is that last week, Joe Scarborough suggested it would be a bad idea to impeach Trump! So Scarborough and Graham agree! Can't Joe take "yes" for an answer?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, suomi said:

Asking here because it's not about the show. I don't have Peacock, did anyone catch their inauguration stint there?

I was wondering the same thing...think they will have to have "the day off" tomorrow to recover from putting in all those extra hours?  

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Kemper said:

I was wondering the same thing...think they will have to have "the day off" tomorrow to recover from putting in all those extra hours?  

Mika is certainly acting like she has the day off. What is with her and her lack of speaking skills? Embarrassing. Perhaps they got the ratings for their Peacock performance and they weren't good? It wouldn't surprise me. I don't watch much of the NBC family of stations...is Peacock advertised much anymore? I remember that annoying big peacock showing up on shows, taking over the lower half of the screen for awhile and don't recall seeing it lately. The hosts were so subdued today. Surprised me.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I was mostly watching Joy Rachel and Nicolle, but I tried to watch a little bit of the Peacock coverage also, but the streaming site is so weird. they wouldn't even let me skip back to the beginning of the coverage or anything. And i went there to see if it's up so I can watch it now from the beginning, but I can't find it. With all the other shows you can just click them and watch them any time...? 

Edited by neona
2 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

Mika is certainly acting like she has the day off. What is with her and her lack of speaking skills? Embarrassing. Perhaps they got the ratings for their Peacock performance and they weren't good?

I get Peacock free through my cable subscription and I almost never watch anything there.  Usually I forget it even exists, so it never occurs to me to look for anything on Peacock.  If you consider that cable news ratings are low compared to network, imagine how low they must be for a paid offshoot.  You would have to be specifically devoted to the Twins to hunt them down on Peacock when MSNBC has its prime time lineup covering on the main network all day.

15 minutes ago, neona said:

I was mostly watching Joy Rachel and Nicolle, but I tried to watch a little bit of the Peacock coverage also, but the streaming site is so weird. they wouldn't even let me skip back to the beginning of the coverage or anything. And i went there to see if it's up so I can watch it now from the beginning, but I can't find it. With all the other shows you can just click them and watch them any time...? 

MSNBC is not good about how they stream their reruns.  I can't ever just pull up Rachel's show and watch it; I can only click onto segments and hope I find them in the order she included them in her show.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

MSNBC is not good about how they stream their reruns.  I can't ever just pull up Rachel's show and watch it; I can only click onto segments and hope I find them in the order she included them in her show.

this!!! it's so annoying. why can't they just post the full shows?? include ads or whatever, that's fine, but make it chronological gaaaaah. Also their "highlights" are never the things I consider highlights. for morning joe they edit out everything fun and just leave in the boring parts with joe yelling

• Love 1
22 hours ago, oakville said:

Is Joe sick ? asks Newbusters,

Wow. Actually reading the transcripts, versus just hearing him drone on and on everyday ("in one ear and out the other") is something. He's gone off the deep end with his rages. What value does he add? Let's ask Mika, cowering in her little screen.

10 minutes ago, plumbago blues said:

Wow. Actually reading the transcripts, versus just hearing him drone on and on everyday ("in one ear and out the other") is something. He's gone off the deep end with his rages. What value does he add? Let's ask Mika, cowering in her little screen.

I like the Newsbusters transcripts. It makes it easier to remember what he is saying.

Joe is becoming very repetitive with his talking points. I also find him to struggle when discussing any economic issues with Steve Rattner.

The show used to do a simulcast with CNBC at 8:30 a.m. Erin Burnett & Mark Haines would provide useful information for viewers & Joe stayed relatively quiet during the segments.

I prefer watching CNBC in the morning now since the hosts are professional & know how to conduct interviews with politicians & business leaders better than Mika & Joe.

Morning Joe was a much better to show to watch when everyone was in a studio together & the show allowed guests to have a differing opinion than Joe.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, oakville said:

The show used to do a simulcast with CNBC at 8:30 a.m. Erin Burnett & Mark Haines would provide useful information for viewers & Joe stayed relatively quiet during the segments.

I prefer watching CNBC in the morning now since the hosts are professional & know how to conduct interviews with politicians & business leaders better than Mika & Joe.

Glad to have some company over there, Oakville. Joe Kernan has been my crush for over 20 years! Often the same guest will show up on both shows, either the same day or during the same week and the difference in the interviews is striking. SO much more information from the CNBC Q and A's...and done in such a relaxed, non confrontational way. (I still miss Mark Haines.☹️)

• Love 1
4 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

Glad to have some company over there, Oakville. Joe Kernan has been my crush for over 20 years! Often the same guest will show up on both shows, either the same day or during the same week and the difference in the interviews is striking. SO much more information from the CNBC Q and A's...and done in such a relaxed, non confrontational way. (I still miss Mark Haines.☹️)

I used to watch CNBC on a regular basis in the 1990's in the morning. It was a great show but I got frustrated during the internet boom. They were hyping stocks like Pets.com which had no real value.

Mark Haines was great & Erin Burnett was professional .

I liked the "old timers" guests like Art Cashin who would come on & discuss investing fundamentals.

Kernan likes to call himself "boomer" & loves to joke around with the millenials , Andrew Ross Sorkin & Becky Quick. They are polite with their guests & ask good questions. It's much more informative than Morning Joe.

Sorkin is very intelligent.

Morning Joe should try and get back Brian Sullivan who used to be a regular contributor to Morning Joe from 2017-2019.

He has a good sense of humor & did a great job explaining he Texas power failure situation.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, oakville said:

I used to watch CNBC on a regular basis in the 1990's in the morning. It was a great show but I got frustrated during the internet boom. They were hyping stocks like Pets.com which had no real value.

Mark Haines was great & Erin Burnett was professional .

Yeah, got my fill of Tyco, Enron and Worldcom...never interested in those or any tech at that time. Remember the echoing "Qualcomm" whenever it was mentioned? Maria B. on the floor was exciting. Joe was snarky before snarky was invented! Erin sure made a big pivot going to CNN. I've never watched her there. Art is great. Did you read his New Year's poem? Clever.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, neona said:

Guys, Joe was one Bill Maher this Friday...physically present in LA, whoa... 

I am surprised that Mika did not appear with him on the show. Mika never appears without Joe when she is invited to promote her books or KYV seminars on talk hows.

• Love 1
(edited)

Wow. Joe dropping the F bomb. Good thing Mika wasn't there. Joe looks much different to me in the wider angle shot vs. the tight shot on MJ. His face is so much fuller and he's getting a bit of a neck waddle...nothing bad or unusual as we're all aging, but seeing just his big face everyday doesn't show the real him. I am so over him talking about Trump all the time...even Maher questioned his constant focus on it. Boring, Joe.

And how incredibly ironic is it that Joe went on Maher's show live and in person on the same day the old MJ set in NY "opened" back up? Wouldn't you think the Scarbro's would drop in on their own show first?

Edited by plumbago blues
  • Love 1

Tbh I don't understand why LA is possible when NY or DC isn't, not even for the election...

I liked this clip, he actually seems like a much calmer and friendlier person when interacting face-to-face with another human... which makes the current Tucker-Carlson-monologue setup even more incomprehensible gaaaaah

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, plumbago blues said:

Wow. Joe dropping the F bomb. Good thing Mika wasn't there. Joe looks much different to me in the wider angle shot vs. the tight shot on MJ. His face is so much fuller and he's getting a bit of a neck waddle...nothing bad or unusual as we're all aging, but seeing just his big face everyday doesn't show the real him. I am so over him talking about Trump all the time...even Maher questioned his constant focus on it. Boring, Joe.

And how incredibly ironic is it that Joe went on Maher's show live and in person on the same day the old MJ set in NY "opened" back up? Wouldn't you think the Scarbro's would drop in on their own show first?

I think  Joe is reluctant to return to NYC for the show because he may have to pay taxes to NYC & NYS for every show that he hosts from Rockfeller Center now that he is a resident of Florida.

I am glad that Maher asked Joe about his focus on Trump.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

His face is so much fuller and he's getting a bit of a neck waddle...nothing bad or unusual as we're all aging

No prob. Mika has the name of the plastic surgeon who looks after things like that. I mean, she confessed that that was what she had had done when they went to Florida and crashed Dump's New Year's Eve party and he twittered to the world that Mika's face was bleeding. You may have heard a little something about that kerfuffle on about a zillion telecasts.

• LOL 4