Type keyword(s) to search

The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value

• Start Topic

i don't begrudge him a hobby, especially now, and I'm not a great connoisseur of Joe's musical masterpieces...buuuut it seems to me he keeps re-releasing the same song over and over again? i feel like whenever they play one of his songs on air it's always the same song but with montages of different protest movements

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, neona said:

i don't begrudge him a hobby, especially now, and I'm not a great connoisseur of Joe's musical masterpieces...buuuut it seems to me he keeps re-releasing the same song over and over again? i feel like whenever they play one of his songs on air it's always the same song but with montages of different protest movements

Yeah, hobbies are good for the soul, especially during difficult times. I was a Springsteen fan back in the 70's and 80's but had the good sense not to broadcast my favorite songs at work over the ICU intercom. Agree with the montage change-ups...the photo editor should be getting credit, not the background singer. And then to drag Mika into this...ergh. She loses another Value point.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

I have never heard of Newsbusters; is it well-known?

Per Media Bias Fact Check, "Overall, we rate Newsbusters Right Biased based on story selection that always favors the right. We also rate them borderline questionable due to the use of poor sources and numerous failed fact checks. One additional failed fact check will push this source by default onto the Questionable list."

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 2

Joe tweeted this about the Newsmax network, a conservative-leaning network that has recently experienced a surge in ratings.  I do not have Newsmax on my cable provider.

In any case, I think that the promotion of cable cutting is odd for a host on a cable news network that depends on subscribers. Is he fishing for a new network?

Edited by nittany cougar
On 11/12/2020 at 9:55 PM, meowmommy said:

Per Media Bias Fact Check, "Overall, we rate Newsbusters Right Biased based on story selection that always favors the right. We also rate them borderline questionable due to the use of poor sources and numerous failed fact checks. One additional failed fact check will push this source by default onto the Questionable list."

Newsbusters is owned by the MRC. It i financed by Conservatives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Research_Center

• Love 2
1 hour ago, nittany cougar said:

Joe tweeted this about the Newsmax network, a conservative-leaning network that has recently experienced a surge in ratings.  I do not have Newsmax on my cable provider.

In any case, I think that the promotion of cable cutting is odd for a host on a cable news network that depends on subscribers. Is he fishing for a new network?

I remember Joe complaining about how much more money Glenn Beck was making than himself because The Blaze was streamed on a website.

Mika & Joe's contract is up for renewal in 2021. I can't see the network agreeing to pay them their existing salaries if the ratings drop after the election. They could offer them a reduced salary on Peacock.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

any case, I think that the promotion of cable cutting is odd for a host on a cable news network that depends on subscribers. Is he fishing for a new network?

I think he's trying to convince himself, and his fans(?!), that his possible demotion to Peacock would be a good thing; ground-breaking, cutting-edge, blah, blah, blah.

Notice his use of chord for cord: Must be hard at work on "Pandemic; The Musical".

Edited by plumbago blues
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

With Joe's ego and ranting out-of-control; the soon-to-be-shameless hawking of his book; Meeka being Meeka...  I am begging MSNBC, please please give these two lazy, out-touch twits the hook.  They can go and make Peacock a household name.  My cat loves batting peacock feathers, by the way.

• LOL 2

dude, why pay for the privilege of getting yelled at by Joe? we get yelled at for free every day. it's not like it would be an actual conversation. and it's just him, not even with mika? what's the point lmao.

It cracks me up that the winning bid for Joe's was $2000.... while the identical one for Nicolle Wallace is at $8000 

• Love 3

Honestly, if you want to spend money on Joe, you can join a Smithsonian program for the low, low price of $45 - and that includes a book!  With an autograph!!  I don't know if there will be a Q&A, though, so if you actually want to talk to him...well, you should examine your life priorities. 

https://smithsonianassociates.org/ticketing/tickets/joe-scarborough-on-trumans-crusade-against-communism?utm_source=RAad&utm_content=FEauto&utm_campaign=featevent

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

Now I've got this whole idea of what Joe and Mika would be like on Cameo. It's a service where you can hire stars (and others) to record personalized messages. Do you think I could get Mika to cry read congratulations on my nephew's middle school graduation? 

Edited by xaxat
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

Wow. Full court press on the virtual book tour. Actually kind of a clever way to do PR; except, of course, it's Joe and the world sees and hears enough of him already. I wouldn't be surprised if Mika photo-bombs (zoom-bombs?) herself into these things because of her needy FOMO tendencies. I'd demand my money back if she showed up, either on screen or murmuring in the background. I wonder when the Zoom KYV shaminars will begin? 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, oakville said:

I just got back from the vet. She prescribed Joe's favorite drug , Dexamethasone for my Pug's ear infection. I hope my dog doesn't get out of control like Joe's neighbors were before the election.

Awwww. Hope the doggo recovers quickly. (Don't be surprised if after a few doses he starts walking upright on 2 legs! It's a miracle drug!) BTW, I had a back molar excised last week and an implant placed...was hoping for another DexPak but all I got was stinkin' Amoxicillin!)

• Love 4

They are scheduled to be on The View on Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving.

I wonder if Mika Brady will mention how busy she is, getting ready for the holiday with 7 children underfoot. 

Edited by suomi
typo
  • LOL 5
1 hour ago, suomi said:

They are scheduled to be on The View on Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving.

I wonder if Mika Brady will mention how busy she is, getting ready for the holiday with 7 children underfoot. 

Just as I thought...she'll tag along on his PR "tour". And add nothing of interest.

I imagine her hectic busy crazy life will come up if she is included in the conversation. Her Instagram this week has several photos/videos of Physical Therapist Mika...working with her mother; this, after she said she thinks posting workout videos is creepy. I think it's a little creepy to put her mother on display this way. I understand fully the "work" required to keep our elders mobile and limber, having cared for my parents into their 90's, with physical limitations, but never in a million years would I put such a thing on a public forum. Her need to be noticed is acute. I feel for her mother...her privacy is invaded for Mika's ego points.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Good grief, Joe is on right now with Nicole and he hasn't mentioned his book

But he tried to make it sound like he had worked in the White House, like Nicolle.  

He did tell a good story about the Secret Service ripping the secure phones out of Dr. Z's house around 12:01 on January 20, 1977.  

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Yet

Smart to include the "Yet".   Because he is coming back in the next segment to discuss his book.  Time to go stand in line for cranberry sauce.  

Edited by freddi
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

Nicole mentioned his book before Joe did; and as usual, his alpha-self boomed over everyone.  I cannot cannot cannot stand this.  I will take a vacation from any MSNBC show he is on; I left Nicole on just to see how bad he would be.  Truth be told, he wasn't as awful as I anticipated.  But we are in early days.  And if Chris Matthews is any indication, this will continue for months, off and on.  But...no Meeka!  So there is that.

Whoa!  Nicole asked THE question.  Now we are off to the races on his run for Congress and how he was a "Conservative Populist" and bucked the system.  I can't even.  

Edited by Kemper
Needed to add the last paragraph.
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Nicole mentioned his book before Joe did

I admit to missing the beginning of that segment.  I walked in the room and was totally confused to see Joe there.  And then, he didn't mention the book, so I was more confused.  

I'm sooooooo glad they rectified that and gave him a little publicity...  😉 

• LOL 3

I'm watching it now (I always record and wait a little to skip the ads).  I can't remember if Nicolle's ever had Joe on before.  The only time I remember her having Mika on was when Mika was shilling that book she "wrote" coopting the life of her intern.  If Joe is such an MSNBC superstar, how come he's never, ever seen anywhere else? 

His bloviation about "debating aggressively" related to Director Brennan sounds like a signal that he's planning to ditch his Joe Biden advocacy maybe eleven minutes after the inauguration.

It also reminded me that one distinction of Nicolle's show pre-pandemic was that almost everyone was there in the studio.  Very few remote guests.  When the pandemic's over, no doubt Nicolle will go back to having her guests around the table, and no doubt Joe will use it as an excuse never to have to sit at the table again.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

His bloviation about "debating aggressively" related to Director Brennan sounds like a signal that he's planning to ditch his Joe Biden advocacy maybe eleven minutes after the inauguration.

I would love to have a few drinks with Director Brennan to see what he really thinks about Joe. Yes, Joe is going back to his roots; but I have to wonder how his ratings will go if he ditches his pro-Biden "stance" ... because I believe a lot of that was just a facade.  His ego is so huge that I would bet that he thinks he can take any position he wants and still keep his popularity on the network.  This could be interesting.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

If anyone's still up and cares, Joe will be on with Lawrence O'Donnell shortly. 

Hmmm. Surely there's now way he will be talking about his new book and how Truman explains everything today.

• LOL 6
55 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Hmmm. Surely there's now way he will be talking about his new book and how Truman explains everything today.

You nailed it.  I did not listen, but the unfair thing was that Lawrence promised Richard Schiff of his West Wing experience would also be on (post-COVID), so I muted Joe's segment, put on the episode "Shibboleth" and watched the turkey show in the West Wing while Joe was talking.  It is a perfect Thanksgiving episode.

And gah, then Brian Williams showed a clip of Joe from Nicolle's show earlier in the day.  Epidemiologists could create a spread map of Joe across MSNBC shows.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

Is it just us, this board, who cannot tolerate him 90% of the  time? Is he really as popular and influential as he boasts? Just us who dread the upcoming weeks of him pushing the blasted book? Will Meeka continue to bask in the second-hand aura?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Will Meeka continue to bask in the second-hand aura?

Perfect description, Kemper!  (Leave it to a librarian, right?) 

Since these boards aren't really fan clubs, we get the snarkers; Their devotees give them luv on their SM but sometimes I wonder if that's just so the commenters get to see their names on TeeVee star's posts. Who knows. What I do know is that, IRL, I've never, ever heard these two dummies' names anywhere and no one I know ever has any idea who I'm talking about if I mention them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I tried getting on the NY Times "Top 20" books list; but I think the latest list (this past Sunday) was probably too late to reflect how well Joe's book is selling.  I am still hoping (the handbasket awaits) that sales end up being disappointing.  I mean really, if you can't get a bestseller from all the shilling you have done on two major networks ... then either your book is not well written... or people don't like you as a person/public figure.  I would bet that the book is probably well written; so I will go with Option #2 if it does not sell well.  Anything to take this jackass down a peg or three.

Plumbago Blues...like you, I don't watch like I used to.  Turn it on at 6:00 and Joe is already on a long rant; 6:30, same thing.  The rants are always about the same thing; then he switches to his Foghorn Leghorn drawl.  This morning I tuned in and saw what I think was the early morning NY City skyline.  Joe was snickering about a lot of people around and milling about (there were not); he kept showing a building with the name of a large corporation on it.  I have no idea why.   Meeka looks and sounds exasperated and shrill.  

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, suomi said:

Since neona asked (I think Mediaite and the usual suspects have links as well):

April 2008

Joe Scarborough Walks Off MSNBC's "Race To The White House" After Exchange With Rachel Maddow

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/joe-scarborough-walks-off_n_97330

yeah I've seen this, and he was a total *ass*... but like...is that it? I mean, it's been 12 years? 

I feel like if he *never* apologized for it I'm team Rachel, because that was shitty and ridiculous behavior...but if he *did* apologize it seems unlike Rachel to hold a grudge for 12 years against a guy who, let's be fair, did evolve a lil bit..? 

Do we know what happened afterwards? or is this it? 

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, Kemper said:

This morning I tuned in and saw what I think was the early morning NY City skyline.  Joe was snickering about a lot of people around and milling about (there were not); he kept showing a building with the name of a large corporation on it.  I have no idea why.   Meeka looks and sounds exasperated and shrill.  

I saw the same dismal gray picture...it's Comcast, which owns all the NBC channels. I have seen that shot other mornings, too. I don't have the sound on and can't be bothered to look at the CC but Joe being snarky about his employer is rich. Keep biting the hand, Joe-Joe. 

I guess they show the NYC shot of the mother ship/or studio building...though it would be cheerier if they showed their front yard and street; the scene of their real set.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, neona said:

Do we know what happened afterwards? or is this it? 

I was looking for the video while you replied. Did you notice that HuffPo deleted the video r7eferred to in its article? The pertinent part, where he threw a snit that a tween could be proud of, has been erased. 

Do we remember when he was complaining that the interwebz could not be cleansed to his satisfaction, and he wanted to know WHY he couldn't sanitize and rearrange search results to his satisdaction? This is the caliber of ego he revealed.

Rachel was on Air Anerica at the time, not a colleague but absolutely a peer. Why should she be expected to overlook a slam intended to demean her professional abilities? Let's compare her "gets" (and her audience) to those of MJ, shall we?

This earlier portion where he is merely snide and condescending ahead of his snit survived the purge:

Why would you assume that Rachel is the one holding a grudge, LOL?

Edited by suomi
clarity
  • Love 2

BTW, what is Mika's role in the joint appearances, other than the obvious clutching to Joe's current, hopefully short-lived "fame"? Has she granted Bess Truman a posthumous position in the KYV club? I would like to believe she did some homework there but that would be too big lift for Meeks, I'm afraid. Correct me if I'm wrong. (I actually found Bess to have been quite intriguing...mysterious while in the WH, somewhat like Melania.) 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, suomi said:

I was looking for the video while you replied. Did you notice that HuffPo deleted the video r7eferred to in its article? The pertinent part, where he threw a snit that a tween could be proud of, has been erased. 

Do we remember when he was complaining that the interwebz could not be cleansed to his satisfaction, and he wanted to know WHY he couldn't sanitize and rearrange search results to his satisdaction? This is the caliber of ego he revealed.

Rachel was on Air Anerica at the time, not a colleague but absolutely a peer. Why should she be expected to overlook a slam intended to demean her professional abilities? Let's compare her "gets" (and her audience) to those of MJ, shall we?

Why would you assume that Rachel is the one holding a grudge, LOL?

I didn't click it because i distinctly remember seeing a clip where he tore off his mic and *ran* off the set...

and nooo...i wasn't assuming Rachel was the one holding a grudge...i think my comment (with my limited knowledge) was that i was wondering whether or not he ever apologized? Like if he afterwards went to her and said, "i was an ass, etc, etc, i apologize" and that was the *only* incident, i'd think it odd of her to hold it against him 12 years later, not because she wouldn't be entitled to, but just from her personality, I guess...

But on the other hand, it's also totally possible he never apologized, and totally possible there were other incidents... so I guess that's why i was asking if there was more to all of this? Not really passing any judgment, or looking to start a fight, just curious how it all went down...

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Just checked. Joe's book is currently 64th on the Amazon bestseller list. 

For comparison, Snoop Dogg's cookbook is at 43.

I saw a snarky review on Amazon...was it one of our beloved posters?  It is up to 59th.  Dun Dun Dun   I need to get a hobby or a life.  But I am trying to decorate a Norfolk Pine and making it look like an artsy Christmas Tree.  

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Just checked. Joe's book is currently 64th on the Amazon bestseller list. 

For comparison, Snoop Dogg's cookbook is at 43.

Gee, while Rachel's book debuted at #1 on the NYT Non-Fiction Best Seller List, remained #1 for five weeks and placed in the Top Ten for another two weeks. Her second book debuted at #1  on the same list as well. 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, neona said:

Not really passing any judgment, or looking to start a fight, just curious how it all went down...

He was never shown leaving the set but the sound when he pulled off his mic and slammed it on the desk was clearly audible, as were his mutterings. He was incensed because someone (Rachel) questioned the points he attempted to make while bloviating. 

There was a similar incident on Meet The Press when he, as a guest, tried to take over the show and was rebuffed by the host. "Does not play well with others."

To be clear: no fighting here but a lot of laughing while tripping down memory lane. Insecure windbags crack me up because they are so predictable, and he rarely never disappoints.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, suomi said:

He was never shown leaving the set but the sound when he pulled off his mic and slammed it on the desk was clearly audible, as were his mutterings. He was incensed because someone (Rachel) questioned the points he attempted to make while bloviating.

i think that's the one i remember seeing. Either way, the clip you posted above is terrible... it's not just that he seems argumentative, he also comes across as vaguely cruel, while Rachel is all "we'll have a beer and get over it"...I just can't imagine he would let that clip be out there without apologizing, like he seems short-tempered but at least vaguely self-aware? but who the hell knows. if he hasn't apologized, he really fucking should, it's never too late. I guess my main point was that there are enough conflicts in this world etc...

• Love 2

Don't be too impressed at the Amazon rank of his Truman book.    I have heard that when a publisher wants better sales numbers to get on best seller lists, then when a book store orders a few copies, the publisher sends many times what's ordered.   That's because only ones send out for sale are counted, not the returned copies.    I wonder how many the Twins bought as gifts, or for appearances?  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Don't be too impressed at the Amazon rank of his Truman book.    I have heard that when a publisher wants better sales numbers to get on best seller lists, then when a book store orders a few copies, the publisher sends many times what's ordered.   That's because only ones send out for sale are counted, not the returned copies.    I wonder how many the Twins bought as gifts, or for appearances?  

I have a friend with two author children (real publishers), and when she thinks they need an Amazon ranking boost, she orders copies of their books.  It’s endearing, and only a few purchases can move the needle.

3 hours ago, xaxat said:

“For comparison, Snoop Dogg's cookbook is at 43.”

Context is everything.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4