Type keyword(s) to search

As The World Turns - General Discussion

• Start Topic

it always bugs me that Meg Ryan acts as though she never did ATWT. I have the You've Got Mail DVD and the actors' biographies are included in the extras; there is no mention of ATWT in her acting history.

When she was interviewed on Inside the Actors Studio, she mocked the soaps and said all she did there was observe everything NOT to do. In contrast, Julianne Moore always says things like "it was a job, a good job, a great way to work on my craft, and why wouldn't I be grateful?" And of course she walked that talk by going back and filming a few scenes as Frannie for the final week of the show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 11/3/2018 at 4:35 PM, rejnel said:

Julianne Moore always says things like "it was a job, a good job, a great way to work on my craft, and why wouldn't I be grateful?" And of course she walked that talk by going back and filming a few scenes as Frannie for the final week of the show.

That's a great example & typically the one I use.  Especially considering I watched one of her early scenes on YouTube and she was...well...let's say not so good :)

I know Marissa Tomei was on at one time, but I don't know if she ever talks about it.

• Love 1

My mom was a huge ATWT fan and so growing up, I knew so much about the show just from being in the same room when she watched it (even as I got older, I would keep up on the show just through her, since I knew she was into it so much. It's amazing how much knowledge osmosis you can get). I still have the last couple of episodes on my DVR (I burned them to a DVD as a present for her). She passed away in February and it's an interesting kind of pain to see these interesting posts here (she used to be a regular reader of the old TWOP ATWT board) and have that quick bit of, "Oh, hey, Mom would find that interesting" and then realize, well, you know. 

• Love 4

I have been re-watching the show from 1992, the last full year of Douglas Marland before his passing in 1993. I am just blown away by his stories.  The characters are so rich and layered.  So many characters were written out and given a wonderful sendoff that let you know that their lives would continue even if we did not see them on the show.  I loved Frannie, Sabrina, Lily, Angel, Seth, Caleb e.t.c  I always wonder what the show would have been like if Douglas had not died. Oakdale seemed like a community where the characters relationships with one another were always central and the stories were character-driven.  Frannie's story with Darryl Crawford was tortuous, but, it was in character for Frannie to sabotage her relationships. I loved that Douglas had Frannie questioning her choices and why her relationships always end so badly.  The show lost something special after Douglas died..

• Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:35 PM, rejnel said:

Julianne Moore always says things like "it was a job, a good job, a great way to work on my craft, and why wouldn't I be grateful?" And of course she walked that talk by going back and filming a few scenes as Frannie for the final week of the show.

I greatly admired Julianne Moore for returning to ATWT during its final days. It was a nice way to say 'thank you' to the viewers and to the show itself for giving her her first big break in the industry.

I remember reading an interview with her some time after she had left ATWT and had started finding work in movies. The interviewer asked her if she still got recognized from her dual characters on ATWT. She replied good-naturedly, "Till the day I day. It's my most enduring body of work!"

• Love 4

https://soaphub.com/young-restless/former-soap-star-arrested-las-vegas/

Former Soap Star Arrested In Las Vegas

She was half of one of soaps’ most popular couples in the 1980s on As The World Turns, and now, she’s facing some legal charges.

From 1985-89, Finn Carter, who Sierra Esteban Montgomery on As The World Turns opposite Scott Bryce’s Craig, was in court in Las Vegas recently facing stolen vehicle charges, according to the Las Vegas Review Journal.

According to the report, Carter is looking at one count of possessing a stolen vehicle. She’s also facing 14 counts of possessing a credit card without having the cardholder’s consent.

At her first appearance in court this week, the actress told the judge that she has a place where she can stay after the judge asked her if she had a “stable address.”

She was released and is scheduled to return to court in October. Prosecutors have 90 days to decide whether or not to file a criminal complaint.

Carter reprised Sierra in 1994. Craig and Sierra’s love song, Suddenly by Billy Ocean, helped cement the duo as one of soaps’ most popular duos in the 1980s.

In addition to ATWT, Carter’s other acting credits include CSI, Strong Medicine, Judging Amy, ER, Murder She Wrote, and the film Tremors. Prior to her second marriage, Carter was wed to former ATWT co-star Steven Weber (ex-Kevin).

https://www.soapoperanews.net/2019/08/atwtgh-alum-trent-dawson-books-exciting.html

ATWT/GH Alum Trent Dawson Books Exciting New Gig!

As the World Turns and General Hospital alum, Trent Dawson has booked an exciting new gig. He is set to appear in season 3 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is an American period comedy-drama television series, created by Amy Sherman-Palladino. It premiered on March 17, 2017, on Prime Video. The series stars Rachel Brosnahan as Miriam "Midge" Maisel, a housewife in 1958 New York City who discovers she has a knack for stand-up comedy. Other members of the cast include; Alex Borstein, Michael Zegen, Marin Hinkle, Tony Shalhoub, and Kevin Pollak. Following the premiere of the pilot episode to critical acclaim, the series was picked up by Amazon for a two-season order in 2017. The second season was released on December 5, 2018, and the third season is set to premiere in 2019. 

Dawson is known for his roles as Henry Coleman on ATWT and Huxley Lynch on GH, please stay tuned for updates. 

• Love 1

https://soaphub.com/young-restless/hogan-sheffer-veteran-soap-head-writer-passes-away-at-61/

Hogan Sheffer, Veteran Soap Head Writer, Passes Away At 61

Prolific soap opera scribe Hogan Sheffer, known for his tenures at As the World Turns, Days of Our Lives, and  has passed away at the age of 61, according to sources close to the writer.

When Procter & Gamble announced that the York, Pennsylvania native had been hired to spearhead the As the World Turns writing team in 2000 the decision was met with immediate derision. Although Sheffer had an excellent track record at his previous post — as Director of Screenplay Development for DreamWorks — the writer candidly admitted to having never watched a soap opera.

However, under the guidance of its new overseer, As the World Turns saw a rise in ratings and found itself rewarded with 10 Daytime Emmy statuettes including two for Outstanding Drama Series (2000 & 2002) and four for Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series (2000, 2001, 2003 & 2004).

After completing a five-year stint with the CBS sudser, Sheffer departed for what was intended to be a “17-week sabbatical,” but, during his absence, P&G chose not to extend his contract.

Sheffer did return to the series in a lower staffer position but in 2006 he transitioned over to the NBC serial Days of Our Lives where he worked as head writer until 2008. Subsequently, he accepted the position of co-head writer at CBS’ The Young and the Restless and plotted that series with incumbent Maria Arena Bell until 2012.

During a 2009 interview with Michael Fairman on the eve of As the World Turns series finale, actress Martha Byrne said of Scheffer, “(he) did give our show new life.”

In the same interview, Byrne positioned that Sheffer and former As the World Turns writer Douglas Marland would have been best friends because both men were, “equally passionate about the genre”

Soap Hub sends our sincerest condolences to Sheffer’s family and friends during this difficult time.

ATWT has a reunion on Zoom/Skype today. It was so great seeing Martha Byrne, Michael Park, Maura West & Don Hastings at frickin age 86. Don Hastings is still hysterical and didn’t miss a beat. It was so much fun. I saw it on YouTube.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

ATWT has a reunion on Zoom/Skype today. It was so great seeing Martha Byrne, Michael Park, Maura West & Don Hastings at frickin age 86. Don Hastings is still hysterical and didn’t miss a beat. It was so much fun. I saw it on YouTube.

Do I just go on YouTube and ask for the ATWT reunion? Oh I’d love to see this. Talk about a childhood (into adulthood) comfort. That show got me through some wicked times. 

24 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Do I just go on YouTube and ask for the ATWT reunion? Oh I’d love to see this. Talk about a childhood (into adulthood) comfort. That show got me through some wicked times. 

Yes. Just type in As The World Turns and I’m sure it will come up in the thread. Also, Kelley Hensley showed up as did Scott DeFretes with Maura. It was great because you could tell they all like each other. Don Hastings was great because he would ask everyone where they are and ask about the kids. You could tell he knew a lot about them from all of those years of working with the “kids”.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Yes. Just type in As The World Turns and I’m sure it will come up in the thread. Also, Kelley Hensley showed up as did Scott DeFretes with Maura. It was great because you could tell they all like each other. Don Hastings was great because he would ask everyone where they are and ask about the kids. You could tell he knew a lot about them from all of those years of working with the “kids”.

Oh, I just watched it. Wow. So many memories. Martha and Don do not look a day older. It was such a pleasure. You were right about Don’s sense of humor. He gave me a few laughs. I hope that they can get in touch with more of the cast and do another one of these soon. I think they enjoyed doing it as much as I enjoyed watching it. 

Thank you so much for posting about this tonight. You made my day. 

I just watched it yesterday and enjoyed it so much.   It was like seeing old friends again.  There's going to be another one today at 3 pm with several other cast members.   I also watched the one with Guiding Light cast members.     I miss both those show so much.  

• Love 1

When Don Hastings (Dr Bob) was on the first broadcast he mentioned that he’s been viewing a series on Hulu named A French Village. To his dismay he has been recommending it to friends and then they seem to disappear. I am now watching it and agree it’s well done. 
I'm totally psyched for these get togethers. They were my comfort blanket growing up. Thx @sas616 for letting me know there’s going to be another one this afternoon. I just have to try and find it on YouTube. How did you find out that they were doing another one? 

It was posted on FB.  Here's the link in case you didn't see it (hope it works).  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VddvIz1EM44

There's another one tomorrow at 2 pm.   This is the You Tube announcement.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KfGOanlzsc

He also did a 2nd one for GL and a third is scheduled next week.   Really enjoying all of them.  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, sas616 said:

It was posted on FB.  Here's the link in case you didn't see it (hope it works). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VddvIz1EM44

There's another one tomorrow at 2 pm.   This is the You Tube announcement.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KfGOanlzsc

He also did a 2nd one for GL and a third is scheduled next week.   Really enjoying all of them.  

The links didn’t come up clickable, but thanks for the information. I think I can find it on YouTube tomorrow. It really gives me some comfort watching all these warm familiar faces during these lonely difficult times. I’m also into the 4th season of the series that Don Hastings mentioned in the first one. A French Village on Hulu. I’m enjoying it, but mind you it’s in French so you have to read subtitles (or at least I do to understand everything). Excited that they are doing this for us fans. 
                                        (real loud clapping emoji here)

So glad I came here today! I didn't know about those reunions. That would be very comforting right now (writing this Week 5 of shelter-at-home).

What I logged on for: the actor Thomas Sadoski (he was on Newsroom and has done a ton of theatre) apparently played a character named Jesse Calhoun for a while on ATWT. Does anybody remember this character? It must have been during a period when I wasn't watching much. I started with GL and ATWT in my childhood, at my mom's side, and then watched intermittently for decades!

There are even more reunions next week.   I believe ATWT is on the 24th.  GL is the 21st.  Probably the easiest way to access the link on You Tube is to search for The Locher Room.

(edited)

I've been watching all the GL and ATWT reunions (except the ones with the GL crime family, whose storylines I found unwatchable). It's not only fun to see everybody, but really interesting to hear how the actors talk about their work. Several people I've thought of as young, just-a-pretty-face kind of actors turn out to have really interesting insights into the craft. And a theme in a bunch of the reunions has been how much the soap-making process changed over the decades, from blocking-rehearsal-notes-tape to basically just: tape!
I got a little ways into the Lucinda Hubbard/Martha Byrne interview that was posted yesterday. Had been very much looking forward to it, but Hubbard goes and and on so much it gets annoying. She seems committed to getting every detail of her life story out. I bet she could write a great memoir! But it does get to be a lot in the interview format.
However, all that led me to look up some old Lucinda and Luke scenes, and they were incredible. I'm always surprised Van Hansis isn't a big star. He was so good from such a young age.

Edited by rejnel
Clarifying my comments about an actor.
  • Love 1

In the beginning of the Lucinda/Lily reunion, Liz Hubbard was really all over the place.  Maybe she didn't really understand what it was all about and thought she was just to share her thoughts on acting.   It got better once Martha joined the discussion.  Wish Scott Bryce had been on this reunion with them, since he wasn't able to do the earlier one.    It really is interesting to hear the actors talk about different storylines/scenes.   And also how soaps were/are filmed.   I think it was in the GL/GH reunion with Laura Wright/Wes Ramsey, Emme Rylan (and others), someone said they taped their scenes for 6 episodes in 1 day.  I guess it's done for budget reasons, but boy, it's no wonder soaps have had such a decline over the years.   

• Love 2

Currently watching ATWT Reunion on YouTube with Colleen Zenk, Mark Collier, Jen Landon & Jennifer Ferrin. Everyone looks great. The only one I wouldn’t have recognized Jen Landon. She’s much skinner now and just looks different. Of course, she had graduated from college and was very young when she started on ATWT. I was always blown away Jennifer Ferrin as Jennifer. She just had the look with the red hair & beautiful skin. And, could actually act. LOL!!!! I still miss ATWT. The show was in much better condition than GL was at the time and shouldn’t have been cancelled. 

• Love 4

I didn't catch Jen Landon's name during the introductions, so had no idea who she was at the beginning.  The light bulb didn't go off until they started talking about Jesse Soffer.  Forgot how many shows I've seen Jennifer Ferrin in since ATWT ended.  She was really good in Hell on Wheels.  So glad these reunions are happening.  

• Love 1

I see Jennifer Ferrin in stuff all the time. I think the most recent thing I saw her in was playing an evil, heinous bitch in The Blacklist last season. I loved her as Jennifer Munson, she was so good.

It’s funny how they commented in the video about what better time than now being the time to binge watch a soap because that’s exactly what I’ve been doing. I started at 2005 and watched the whole babyswitch storyline, which was a lot more fun as a rewatch. I think knowing how it ends takes a lot of the frustration out of it that I had the first time and I was able to just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Then I backtracked to 2003 and watched Will kill Rose and the Cabot saga and kept watching until I caught back up to where I’d started. Now I decided to watch the spa storyline, so I’ve backtracked to 2001 and that’s where I’m at right now. Carly just got snatched and Emily is next!

Great reunion with Scott Bryce, Hillary B. Smith & Greg Marx. Greg Marx was a great Tom Hughes. Although, I thought he was on longer than 2 years. I remember him leaving and thinking he couldn’t be replaced but then they eventually hired Scott Holmes (with short hire in between them) and, he ended up playing the role for 23 years. Both guys seemed to really love HBS. They were on ATWT when the show was on fire. High drama at its best. Hillary almost came back to ATWT but had promised OLTL to join their show right before she was asked back but then Ellen Dolan came on and she played the role a long time, too. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Great reunion with Scott Bryce, Hillary B. Smith & Greg Marx.

This was one of my favorites!

Question: toward the end, Marx talks about a scene between Tom and Craig right after Margo & Tom lost their baby. Does anybody know where I might find that scene, or at least what year/month that happened?

Another reunion is set. Leslie Kay and Christina Cisco. I really wanted a Maura West & Leslie Kay reunion but I guess this will do. Maybe, they could bring back Leslie back as Lois to mix it up with Maura on GH. That said, I don’t know if they are friends and/or even keep in contact. Lois exhausting and daughter are on the canvas so it would be a great time to have her back but what do I know. LOL!!!!

• Love 1

I just watched Ming-Na Wen, Melanie Smith & Andy Kavovit in the Locher Room. It was a good interview. The funny part was Ming & Melanie were so much older than Andy and both and had soap sex with them. He said he didn’t mind at all. Andy looked really good. Actually, they all did. It was nice to my Oakdale friends again. It was 10 years ago that the show ended. Amazing! 

• Love 1
On 9/19/2020 at 1:28 AM, ByaNose said:

I just watched Ming-Na Wen, Melanie Smith & Andy Kavovit in the Locher Room. It was a good interview. The funny part was Ming & Melanie were so much older than Andy and both and had soap sex with them. He said he didn’t mind at all. Andy looked really good. Actually, they all did. It was nice to my Oakdale friends again. It was 10 years ago that the show ended. Amazing! 

I loved this reunion.  They were all so upbeat.   Especially Ming-Na Wen.   Not sure I would have reconigized Melanie Smith, except for the voice.  Wish Scott DeFreitas could have been included.

1 hour ago, sas616 said:

I loved this reunion.  They were all so upbeat.   Especially Ming-Na Wen.   Not sure I would have reconigized Melanie Smith, except for the voice.  Wish Scott DeFreitas could have been included.

I know Scott had been on with Hastings & Hays. He’d also popped in on Maura’s chat, too. I agree he should have been included in this one since he & Andy were pals on & off the show then. I got the impression now that they have different lives now and don’t really talk. Sometimes life & distance get in the way. That said, I didn’t really expect Ming to be so into it. It’s not that’s she’s ever trashed the show or her experience but I didn’t realize how happy she was to do it and reconnect. 

37 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I know Scott had been on with Hastings & Hays. He’d also popped in on Maura’s chat, too. I agree he should have been included in this one since he & Andy were pals on & off the show then. I got the impression now that they have different lives now and don’t really talk. Sometimes life & distance get in the way. That said, I didn’t really expect Ming to be so into it. It’s not that’s she’s ever trashed the show or her experience but I didn’t realize how happy she was to do it and reconnect. 

Yes, I saw him on those as well.   He was really good with Don and Kathy.   (Kathy seemed a little off, to be honest.)  Scott just seemed so appreciative of his time on the show.  Got the impression there was a part of him that would like to get back into acting. 

Anne Sward (Lyla) is in a new Lifetime Christmas movie called A Crafty Christmas Romance. I think the original title was Crafting Christmas and that is how it is listed on IMDB. Anne’s character is central to the story, but she only appears at the very end. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, AvidFan said:

Larry Bryggmann was on New Amsterdam Episode 307 “The Legend of Howie Cournemeyer” as Dr. George Helms.

While watching, I kept expecting Lucinda to come around the corner. Or better yet -- Dr. Bob Hughes with an ax to grind.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, AvidFan said:

Larry Bryggmann was on New Amsterdam Episode 307 “The Legend of Howie Cournemeyer” as Dr. George Helms.

NUP_192803_1621_lowRes.jpg

He looks great for 82. He can play any role. 

• Love 4

I’m watching season 3 of Stranger Things and thought gee, that newspaper editor looks familiar. It’s Michael Park who played Jack Snyder on ATWT. It’s so nice to see these actors still working. 

3 minutes ago, rejnel said:

^Michael Park has also kept up a robust stage career. And I think he’s getting more handsome with age!

I saw him with Scarlett Johansson in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof on Broadway. Way pre-pandemic. I didn’t go to the play to see her; I went to see him. He was wonderful. I agree that he is getting handsomer (which is probably not a word). 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, rejnel said:

^Michael Park has also kept up a robust stage career. And I think he’s getting more handsome with age!

I've seen him in several shows in NYC, including Dear Evan Hansen and How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. He's a damn good song and dance man in addition to being a good actor. 

• Love 2

So many good actors had their start on soaps. It was good camera training. I wish I lived near by NYC as I’d be tempted to see a show a week. Lucky you to have seen him more than once.