Type keyword(s) to search

Adam NewMan: Now Young, Still Restless

• Start Topic

Since Sharon didn't give much of a crap when Adam "died" I hope that means their "epic love" will be heavily downplayed / ignored when he comes back. The fewer scenes they share together the better.

I agree that another round of Sharon and Adam's twu luv would be a non-starter but I've always believed that Sharon's nonchalance about Adam's death was an act. I think she had a hand in helping him escape and has known all along that he's alive.

• Love 1

I never really cared for Adam either way, the story was too poorly executed, but I don't see the big deal in recasting him. He was a villain that basically did everything and was driven too far to truly be useful on a well-written show. I miss the days when a villain could wreck havoc in a well written story and then we simply write them off and move on. If you want to bring them back (like Michael or Sheila) wait a few years. There show has too rich a history to need him back immediately. Especially considering how any recast is going to go over with the majority of fans.

If anything, I think they should bring back Keemo who would serve a similar function, but it's actually steeped in history. Here you have Jack as a family man and he has even acknowledged his neglect of Keemo. Have him move back to Genoa City with a wife and a child or just a child and then deal with the emotional fallout from all of it. Bringing back Adam will just be a headache.

Jack and Adam's relationship completely disregarded the fact that Adam killed Ashley's baby and brought Patty to town, who killed Traci's daughter. From a dramatic standpoint their friendship made no sense. I think the writers viewed it as another way for Jack to stick it to Victor, but that is the obvious, predictable route and not the way to create the best story.

• Love 2

Personally, I would prefer Adam to be played by some totally unknown talent. That way, there  aren't going to be any preconceived notions. I don't know TSJ or BB. I doubt James Scott could be seen as anyone but E.J. I do think it's been very helpful that Adam has been off canvas for so long. The way Billy was recasted was so stupid with BM being in those intense scenes with MM and then suddenly Billy Abbott falls in the front door played by David Tom.  

Jack and Adam's relationship completely disregarded the fact that Adam killed Ashley's baby and brought Patty to town, who killed Traci's daughter. From a dramatic standpoint their friendship made no sense. I think the writers viewed it as another way for Jack to stick it to Victor, but that is the obvious, predictable route and not the way to create the best story.

Ashley's "baby" (I tend to agree with those who say there never really was one and/or it wasn't possible) was miscarried when she fell backwards down the staircase. True, the reason why she fell in the first place was because the sight of Adam wearing a dress startled the hell out of her, but he did try to stop her from falling. I hate that storyline with such a passion! I swear to God that MAB was trying to push CE (who was portraying Adam at that point in time) over the edge with her crazy-ass writing - and it did eventually work, when the poor guy finally gave up and quit the show.

As far as Patty is concerned - it was the VicTurd who brought her to town - Adam had nothing to do with it. Turd brought Patty back to town all so he could exact his never-ending quest for revenge upon Jack Abbott - with Adam and Jack's fake diary scheme being the catalyst for this particular round of merriment.

What Adam did to Ashley was bad enough, now he's killed Delia and tried to cover it up. If Jack continues to support him he deserves to have his family turn on him.

Adam did not "kill" Delia; he didn't even know about her being hit by a car until well after it happened. In fact, I think that it is still very much a mystery as to what happened on the night of her death. I know the popular belief amongst the good citizens of Genoa City is that Evil!Adam did the deed and deserved every horrible thing Billy did to him, but from what I remember, it was never proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that Adam was the H&R driver. Not that he would have ever gotten even a fair semblance of a trial in GC, anyway.

For what it is worth, I still don't think Adam had anything to do with the Hit and Run, and was most likely being framed for it. There were just way too many things about Delia's death that still, to this day, simply don't add up.

• Love 5

For what it is worth, I still don't think Adam had anything to do with the Hit and Run, and was most likely being framed for it. There were just way too many things about Delia's death that still, to this day, simply don't add up.

Yep. My money's still on Kelly. Maybe Phyllis can look into that when she's back on her feet.

• Love 5

Yay! We apparently have a new Adam. While I still miss Chris Engen, I wish Justin Hartley luck.

As for the character of Adam, I would say he killed Ashley's baby as his actions caused her to fall. I also think he killed Delia. As for Patty, he might not have brought her to town, but he used and abused her more than Victor did, IMHO.

• Love 3

I  have been wishing that he would have gotten the lead on Arrow instead of Amell.

I dunno, this Hartley kid looks good but Amell is on some next level shite. Oy, the body on that guy. Anyways...I wish Justin much luck and success in the role because he's going to need it. The hardcore MM-istas (if there are any still watching Y&R) probably started sharpening their figurative knives as soon as the announcement appeared.

• Love 6

Justin Hartley? Wow, he must have been desperate for steady work. Good for Y&R. He brings a major fan base with him. Michael Logan did say that there would be big casting news today. Boy, was he right.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

Surprised Justin would take a long term daytime role, when he was doing well on Primetime.

This guy isn't going to be on this show for an extended run. I'd give him two years max, then he's out. He'll play Adam as a stud muffin in a totally different vein than Engen or Muhney. I doubt if he'll ever wear a shirt. Maybe he'll wrestle Burgess Jenkins in the nude like the famous fight scene in "WOMEN IN LOVE". Anything to bring back the ratings.

• Love 1

I like Justin Hartley a lot. I have been wishing that he would have gotten the lead on Arrow instead of Amell. He's going to look way younger than the current Billy, who should be the same age. I think it's a good choice. It would be a great choice if there were better people running and writing the show. I'm sure he doesn't have stubby fingers like the ones that we've been seeing. I don't think he should be paired up with MCE. I'd like to see him in scenes with ED.

CL is tweeting about Hand being let go. Lol

What was the timeline with Billy and Victor Jr.?

Justin Hartley? Wow, he must have been desperate for steady work.

Except he's not desperate at all, he's been fully employed on multiple prime time shows as long term recurring characters all year. 

• Love 3

And yet, he came back to the soaps which IMO means that he was desperate for steady work or for some other reason, maybe he wanted a bigger more steady paycheck, I have no clue. It is an odd development. Whatever the case, this is good for Y&R.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

This guy isn't going to be on this show for an extended run. I'd give him two years max, then he's out. He'll play Adam as a stud muffin in a totally different vein than Engen or Muhney. I doubt if he'll ever wear a shirt. Maybe he'll wrestle Burgess Jenkins in the nude like the famous fight scene in "WOMEN IN LOVE". Anything to bring back the ratings.

I pray you are right. Lol.

• Love 1

Seems the new Adam is Justin Hartley, slated to appear in full body in November.  There was a classy post on Michael Muhney's twitter today, wishing him luck and asking people to be kind to him.  He will need some time to try to make the character his own, and although I am an insane Michael Muhney fan, this one looks pretty good and might be the right choice.  Time to move forward......damn!

• Love 2

I agree that another round of Sharon and Adam's twu luv would be a non-starter but I've always believed that Sharon's nonchalance about Adam's death was an act. I think she had a hand in helping him escape and has known all along that he's alive.

Excellent point, like when he helped her escape from prison.

Justin Hartley is amazing, but he seems more like a Billy recast than Adam. I'm sure he'll do well because he's a great actor, but I still wish Adam wasn't back at all. The role has been run into the ground and he really isn't needed. They should've just made Hartley an adult version of Brooks Prentiss and brought that family back similar to how B&B revived the Spencers with Don Diamont.

• Love 1

Yep. My money's still on Kelly. Maybe Phyllis can look into that when she's back on her feet.

I think it was Smelly too. She is downright creepy. I so hope Phyllis goes after Smelly and Stuposharon

• Love 1

This guy isn't going to be on this show for an extended run. I'd give him two years max, then he's out.

I really like him and I think he can do a good job.. it is the writers that can't do a decent job.

I think it was Smelly too. She is downright creepy. I so hope Phyllis goes after Smelly and Stuposharon

She had better learn how to control her feet before she goes after anyone, she may end up dead next time...LOL,

• Love 1

Adam ate the show for years. I hated his whiny, woe is me mantra and got sick of his "I'm better than the rest of you because I'm educated" shit. I haven't missed him one iota. But if they insist on bringing this thoroughly unnecessary character back from the dead yet again, then I am hoping he lightens up and becomes a tiny bit more integrated into the canvas. Endless scenes of him lurking around the Adams family home and later the penthouse became tedious long ago. I don't hate the fact that this version has abs and is very, very nice to look at. So even if I have to mute his whining, at least I'll still enjoy watching him speak.

Edited by Lithogirl
  • Love 5

Adam ate the show for years. I hated his whiny, woe is me mantra and got sick of his "I'm better than the rest of you because I'm educated" shit. I haven't missed him one iota. But if they insist on bringing this thoroughly unnecessary character back from the dead yet again, then I am hoping he lightens up and becomes a tiny bit more integrated into the canvas. Endless scenes of him lurking around the Adams family home and later the penthouse became tedious long ago. I don't hate the fact that this version has abs and is very, very nice to look at. So even if I have to mute his whining, at least I'll still enjoy watching him speak.

I do have to admit that I miss Adam a lot more than Phyllis but that's not saying much. I too got tired of him thinking he was always the smartest guy in the room. That became as annoying as Victor's " I built this company blah blah".

Whether I like it or not, Adam is an essential character to the canvas. He hasn't yet run his course.  So count me in with the new guy. I've watched his clips, he can at least act and looks good without a shirt.

• Love 1

I hated his whiny, woe is me mantra and got sick of his "I'm better than the rest of you because I'm educated" shit.

I grew to like Adam these last few years but the Adam + whatever woman he's with at the time vs the world crap was repetitive, along with his constant whining and scheming because his glorified sperm donor didn't love him enough.

• Love 1

I, for one, can't wait for November to see Adam back on the screen.  I would have preferred Scott Elrod for the new Adam, but I'm not complaining about Justin Hartley, either.  Neither of these guys is MM, but they are both hunks.  The show has to have Adam before it tanks, completely.. I don't care what direction they take him - just want the Delia thing solved.  I certainly hope he has the guts to stand up and hold his own with EB. 

I haven't watched this show in over a year after a watching since the '80's but seeing that Justin Hartley is the new Adam, I may have to tune back in. He is a great choice and I'm surprised they actually got an actor that I was happy to see get the part. I have been reading these threads and Peach's recaps which are awesome. Hopefully by November things will have gotten better.

Edited by Desperately Random
  • Love 2

Guys watch the tone. People are allowed to post their opinions without being accused of lying. Keep the posting to "I think" and "In my opinion". Unless you have credited sources it's your opinion. Please be respectful to your fellow posters.

• Love 1

And yet, he came back to the soaps which IMO means that he was desperate for steady work or for some other reason, maybe he wanted a bigger more steady paycheck, I have no clue. It is an odd development. Whatever the case, this is good for Y&R.

That's not to say he's desperate at all. As Artsda said, he's been working steady since Passions on a variety of primetime things. He met his ex-wife and current gf through soaps and is still very close to Eric Martsolf and his ex-Passions cast. Soap Opera is a genre he respects and appreciates and many have expressed the same POV. Were James Franco, Josh Duhamel or the impending Shemar Moore desperate? Hardly.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1

I think nu-Adam will come back with a new face and a fake name.... kind of Christian Gray... and romance Manjaw anew. And she.... like Jack with Emily... will sleep with him never noticing he has the same body as her hubby.

Maybe they'll explain how two people could be so dense, when we find out Chelsea is Jack's SEEEKRETTT daughter. (also Jonny grows another head in a related story line.) 

This show makes the Game of Thrones look normal.

• Love 1

I'm curious to see how Adam will manage to skate on hit and run/reckless driving, obstruction of justice, tampering with evidence, etc charges. And he's probably going to be even more hated and isolated than he was before. JFP knew all along she was going to bring him back so I don't know why she decided to completely trash him before she "killed" him off.

• Love 1

I'm curious to see how Adam will manage to skate on hit and run/reckless driving, obstruction of justice, tampering with evidence, etc charges.

The obstruction and tampering with evidence charges can be negotiated away by a good attorney but on the hit and run, I think another suspect will arise: Kelly. Plus there's the whole matter of Billy trying to kill him. Billy's pretty much skated on that so far.

• Love 2

I still don't get the Adam killing Delia storyline anyway.  It was an accident!  He didn't see her or know she was there, he felt something and then saw the dog running away.  At best he should have stopped and really made sure the dog was AOK as animals will run off if able after being hit but it doesn't mean they aren't injured.  Then he would have seen Delia and taken it from there.  Billy should never have left Delia in the car period!  

• Love 3

I still don't get the Adam killing Delia storyline anyway.  It was an accident!  He didn't see her or know she was there, he felt something and then saw the dog running away.  At best he should have stopped and really made sure the dog was AOK as animals will run off if able after being hit but it doesn't mean they aren't injured.  Then he would have seen Delia and taken it from there.  Billy should never have left Delia in the car period!  

If I remember correctly, Adam told Billy he didn't feel any bump or anything.  His car came to a stop up against the bushes where we are supposed to believe Delia was, but running over a child or a dog would have have done much more damage than a broken piece of plastic.  I still believe the original storyline was to be that Kelly hit Delia just before Adam got there, but once they decided to dump MM, they tried to make Adam the guilty one.  The problem is that the footage of the dog and the frantic stop are right there for anyone to see.  I had hoped they would address this at some point and actually show who killed Delia, but with the current people in charge, they think we are so stupid we don't question anything.  And you are right, Billy should have never left Delia in the car. 

Edited by movinon
  • Love 4

That makes sense to pin the blame on MM once it was determined he was leaving the show.  So many storylines have not been closed out with the viewers and this is yet another one feebly done by the feeblers..oh I meant writers!  And when one of us forgets another one remembers these details!!

• Love 2

I still don't get the Adam killing Delia storyline anyway.  It was an accident!  He didn't see her or know she was there, he felt something and then saw the dog running away.  At best he should have stopped and really made sure the dog was AOK as animals will run off if able after being hit but it doesn't mean they aren't injured.  Then he would have seen Delia and taken it from there.  Billy should never have left Delia in the car period!

If Adam had gone to the cops and soon as he suspected he Delia I don't think there would have been a problem. Instead, he tried to cover it up which will make it hard for anyone to believe he really didn't realize he hit her until later.

• Love 4

I had hoped they would address this at some point and actually show who killed Delia, but with the current people in charge, they think we are so stupid we don't question anything.  And you are right, Billy should have never left Delia in the car.

Edited by movinon, Today. 3:53 pm.

i think nu-face Adam will try to solve the mystery while becoming the "Newman" in Chelsea's life.  Then Kelly will remember either seeing daddy molest Stich or him messing with her and she 'killed' him and blocked it out ...JUST LIKE she blocked out squashing Delia and everyone will go "Just so you're sorry... and you were drunk??? well OK then"

Maybe Drunkie will plow her down as karmic punishment and she'll fake being in a wheel chair to keep Jack.

• Love 1

Only Adam ever had a grudge held against himfor more than ten minutes.

When (if) Kelly turns out to have plowed down Dee everyone will understand about the drunk thing and know she's like real sorry.

Summer drives a poor kid to suicide and he apoligises to HER.

Nikki 's murdered half a dozen.... Billy 'murdered' Chelsea's hubby and he gets to screw her.

It's not that I hated the Adam hate, I just hated that he was the only one. My God! Victor made his daughter miscarry. Drove the mother of his grandchildren insane and screwed her.

Asstin fits right into the Addams Family.

Thank you for saying better than I could the reason why I never held the things Adam did against him.  Not that I'm an Adam apologist (I'm not an apologist for any of the idiot characters on this show), but the hypocrisy, although a soap staple, always outrages me.

• Love 3

I am so ready for Adam to get his ass back in town. The show needs him desperately.

I think the new guy is probably not long for the show,  (Nice of MM to tell his fan-ions to lay off the new guy) He's too pretty and a really good actor who has too many other options - I look for him to hold out till he gets a better offer or something. I can't imagine wanting to join this top-down trainwreck...for the next few Years?

I think Chelsea is the current golden child and he'll get to be her great love (supplying another addition or two to the next gen of Newmans) until she needs to be a widow again. Sharon may be the golden cooter of days past (In that bikini I don't blame them)  BUT Chelsea is Y&R's Brooke/Erica/who's that blond on GH who keeps humping Sonny and every man who comes to town...her too. SHE who no man can resist loving.

• Love 1

I really like this new Adam so far and think he is very handsome and sexy.He is doing great and I loved him in Monday's Canadian episode.My opinion might change as he gets more air time but as of this moment I am liking him a lot!

• Love 5