Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: 3 Minutes to Midnight

Kiera finally learns the truth about John Doe. Alec must make a difficult choice between business and family. Liber8 is rocked to the core by new information about their mission.

I wonder what the new info is and who it comes from. I've been hoping and hoping that Garza is a wild card. Set up by old!Alec to be a special time variance or something. She's the only one who had contact with him, and knew he was the one sending them back. There was that whole thing about her knowing what was on Kiera's chip, but I think it turned out to be a bluff. I'll have to rewatch. But I wish they'd do more with the fact that she's old!Alec's fail safe.

(edited)

omg, that was a lot!!! So far I'm agreeing with all these resets. Esher gone, Hayley gone, L8 somewhat disbanded.

L8 needed to be redefined, the writers didn't know what to do with them in S2. This will free up the characters. Yay for Clan leader Kellog!! And please show writers, let Garza have a bigger role too.

How feasible is it that Kiera could rip her foot away from that nail? Outside of her suit she's not a super solider like Travis. It looked too painful for a normal person.

This is what I make of all the factions;

Chen and Kellog - Seems that Chen is supporting the timeline that sees Kellog rise to a leader. He's probably working with king!Kellog. And as we don't know how much he's jumped around the different timelines, his knowledge seems to supersede everyone's. Including those in Brad's future.

Kiera and Brad - Pretty much the two stranded officers. They'll probably end up in some romance. It does seem that she's abandoned hope of seeing her son and timeline ever again. Though her comment about dreams being true was interesting. It touched on a question I raised before. The scene in 2077, where she dreams about being captured by the Freelancers in 2012. This was while old!Alec was messing around with her chip.

Maybe Kiera's dream comment is a hint to the fact that this is all part of old!Alec's plan, and it's been played out before. This is what I initially thought. With all the talk about this now being a game controlled by other people, I'm going back to that.

Garza - Lone wolf, left L8 and doing her own thing. May reconnect with one of the Alecs. I'm so glad Kiera brought up that she's "working for" Alec, I thought the writers may have forgotten that connection.

Travis and Sonia - On the run. Sonia still seems to want to fight for L8's beliefs, so a splinter group may form out of L8's ashes.

Lucas - Like Garza, he seems to have split L8. He could join any of the other factions, or go it alone.

suit!Alec, Dillon and Jason - After that final conversation between Alec and Jason, it felt like Jason is going to challenge Alec for control of Piron. There's a dark side to him that came out when he attacked Julian. I do like the father son interactions though. With Alec being much younger and everything, it's funny when Jason calls him dad and the scenes can be quite touching.

Dillon is loyal to Piron and seems to be corporate identified. He will always back them no matter who's in charge, especially if he has a cushy position within the organisation.

hoodie!Alec - He may be freed in the future. But would he trust this Kiera after what she did to him? He may connect with Garza. Especially if she also thinks he's the good Alec. They may try to take down suit!Alec.

Julian and Carlos - They do seem to be getting closer in opinion. This is the second time they've colluded to attack a corporation. Carlos is acting out against Dillon and talking like freedom fighter.

Freelancers - I'm not sure about the Freelancers. Didn't Brad say they're not part of the future. That's probably why Chen went rogue. When they find out what's to come, they'll obviously try to correct things. But it could be interesting to see who they align with. Maybe Kiera and Brad will join them.

I can't believe there's only two episodes left, it feels like the show is just getting started. This was a good episode.

Edited by greenbean
  • Love 3

Continuity! When did Kiera find out that Alec knew there was another Kiera? Neither he nor Carlos said anything to her about it, that we saw (as far as I can remember). Alec was kind of snotty to her the next time he saw her, but she didn't understand his attitude and made a point of asking Carlos about it, and he played it off like the kid was just in a mood. Suddenly this week Alec tells her they're having a memorial service for "other you" and her only reaction is to the fact that Carlos didn't mention this to her, not that Alec even knows about "other her."

So, is amnesia guy really the guy who killed other Kiera? That's what I got from that video but it was so quick I couldn't be sure. And Alec didn't end up telling her because she got all pissy about the CMR. I wish she wouldn't bite the hand that feeds her.

Oh man I loved this.  I knew from the show's beginning that eventually Keira and Liber8 would have to move closer to each other (the methods vs. ideology tradeoff) but I never suspected it would happen like this.  Also, I kind of love that it's looking more and more like Keira won't get home to her son (and, indeed, there's a distinct possibility that his timeline will never exist). 

I also dug the continued thread of Julian and Carlos working together and really dug that the whole set up with Jason actually made Julian look the more reasonable of the two brothers (well at least with this version of Alec).  It really made me want to see that actor play a good guy since he's being all evil on the 100 right now and is shady at best on this show.  He seemed so genuinely concerned and interested in finding the truth and not just having more of his reactionary angst he's been going through since his father was killed. 

Just when I think I've got the direction of this show figured out they go and surprise the hell out of me, again. 

Yeah, the whole time travel thing is starting to get a bit too confusing for me.  Its one thing when we see what changed from something we actually know (i.e. books that say 'what if' X happened instead of Y - like what if the south won the civil war), but how can we tell what in the future changed or will change, or will maybe change when we don't really know all that much about what Kiera's "future" or "present" was in the first place, except that Sadler was a big corporate dude.  And we still don't really know if that was really bad or not because we still don't know really what he intended by sending Liber8 back in the past.  So how do we know that having Kellog in charge is better or worse?

That said, my DVR keeps cutting out at the last minute or two, so I missed the end of John Doe saying what he saw/remembered.

Is it bad that I like this Brad character? (Probably, because most characters I like in fiction end up dead)

I took a break from Continuum and just came back now, after first episode of the season. I could follow the plot alright. I like how the things are working out  right now, but I - kind of - lost some sympathy for Kiera. I used to have a lot, now I'm not so sure about her anymore. 

To re quote Captain. Janeway: Time travel gives me a headache! 

Lots of stuff going on, so everyone walked out their own way? oh well, seems like they did reset their minds.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yeah, the whole time travel thing is starting to get a bit too confusing for me.

For me, it just finally made sense. I adore time travel stories, time travel theories--if there were time travel themed undergarments, I would order them immediately--so I was hanging on by a thread this season, trusting all this confusion would come together--and in this episode, it finally did for me. I loved Lucas' revelation that Liber8 would always be somebody's pawns, in part because he's the genius--perhaps even more than Alec--and then having him toss aside the super gun was the frosting on the cake. I can imagine Kira and Brad getting him to join them to sabotage Alec's Halo if Jason doesn't first succeed in convincing Alec to pause production himself--or if maybe Kellogg pushes Halo production ahead against Alec and Jason's wishes.

Question: When Kiera walked out of Alec's office/lab, we briefly see an image on Alec's monitor screen labeled "Kiera's CMR." Was that dead Kiera's CMR, or had he just hacked into live Kiera's?

...Suddenly this week Alec tells her they're having a memorial service for "other you"...

@iMonrey, I think you need to time travel with your post back to the previous episode's thread. Heh. Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
Question: When Kiera walked out of Alec's office/lab, we briefly see an image on Alec's monitor screen labeled "Kiera's CMR." Was that dead Kiera's CMR, or had he just hacked into live Kiera's?

It was to show that he had activated some sort of CMR spoofing device that prevented Kiera from using her CMR to correctly detect whether Alec was lying about not knowing Halo had serious side effects.

How feasible is it that Kiera could rip her foot away from that nail? Outside of her suit she's not a super solider like Travis. It looked too painful for a normal person.

Kiera is just that hardcore :)

For me, it just finally made sense. I adore time travel stories, time travel theories--if there were time travel themed undergarments, I would order them immediately

They used to have those. You could choose what day of the week you wanted to go to.

• Love 2

They used to have those. You could choose what day of the week you wanted to go to.

I remember those. One of my daughters had them at the time. Rats! I didn't realize their true potential. But that explains how my daughter was able to sneak out and do stuff without me noticing. ;-)

I don't understand how Curtis knew/worked with Brad. I thought his timeline was the same as this version of Liber8. Did they team up in the current time, or does Curtis have another future as well?

Honestly, I've been a bit confused about Curtis in that regard since the beginning of the season.  I assumed I blanked a line of dialogue from the first few episodes (they were throwing an awful lot at us awfully quickly) but I don't know if they've ever clarified his role with the Freelancers.  I'm sitll not sure if he was a Freelancer before he hooked up with Liber8 or if the Freelancers recruited him once he got back here to the 2010s.

Fun idea though... what if he is one of the people who was sent back in time to establish the freelancers to begin with.  SO he comes from 2198 or whatever and travels back to 2077 to hook up with Liber8 so that he can travel back to our time... and ouch my head hurts. 

For all of my confusion, I really do love the crap out of this show.

• Love 2

I so love this show. Watching the members of Liber8 come to the realization that all their grand plans and moral justifications were essentially for nothing. I really, really hope they renew this show, because I can't wait to see where they all decide to go from here.

They're not being particularly subtle about a future Kiera/Brad hookup, are they? It took the Liber8 gang all of a minute to figure out that threatening one would be the quickest and best leverage with the other. I really liked Kiera happily running out for breakfast. As much as having Carlos know who she really is and have her back must help, she's still terribly alone. Seeing her try to move on with Brad would be interesting.

You can tell that Julian has started to seriously question why everyone around him is constantly talking about his supposed future as if they've already seen it.

Victor Webster has really honed Carlos' exasperated "Not THIS shit again." face this season.

• Love 1

People talking to each other about real choices is so much more dramatic than people chasing each other for unknown reasons. Great episode.

In a way the biggest plot development was Julian catching on to the time travel. At first he just dismissed Jason as nuts, but the Terminator chip remark pretty much gave away his second thoughts I think. Can he talk himself into disbelieving the evidence? Second Alec should have noticed but then, Alec has always had a tendency to be an asshole over his mother's remarriage. Alec's best chances at redemption have always centered on reaching out to someone else, whether it's Roland, Julian, his mom or Kiera. 

As to the individual choices made so far in response to the discovery of a timeline change...Garza and Lucas walking away because their inability to determine the future at will didn't appease their vanity fit their characters I think. Sonia proved she is the heart of Liber8 and Travis was there. She is correct that all wars do end eventually. Brad and Kiera preaching resignation to their respective masters showed their continued commitment on some level to mindless defense of the status quo. This future Kellogg I thought proved his villainy by preaching war for the ruins (!) then sending Brad to restore the corporate congress (which is what he did after all) instead of sending Brad to prevent the destructive stalemate by having the good guys win. Curtis is still Jason, fighting for the corporations because basically he's irrationally committed. 

Part of what's going on is that none of the parties involved thus far really engage the population in taking charge of their own future, although obviously Liber8 is by far the closest to doing so. The future isn't ever determined by men in suits or by elite soldiers, it's made by all of us. I guess it's hard to make TV dramas without a vicarious hero? And ordinary people are never suitable characters?

• Love 3

This show is so great!  I loved that episode.  I thought it was the season finale.  And I guess that would have left a few threads untied but i'm ok with that.  I think that in reality, loose ends never all get tied up at the same time (or at least rarely) and i love when shows imitate those anarchistic tendencies of reality.  And so while I was totally confused during and after the season premier, i kind of loved all of it.

And i'm still somewhat confused.  I really dig that we are almost as in the dark as Keira and company.  Actually, we're totally that in the dark about the future.  We have no idea what it is except for what Brad said.  But we do know that it appears that everything they have done has completely obliterated the future that they knew.  What I wonder is, what is the end game for the show?  Do the show runners know?  Do they get back to their prior future?  I hope not.  I would think part of the show runners' goal is, in fact, to end up somewhere better than that totalitarian future they all knew.

I'm sure there is more to say but i just loved this episode and am really loving this season.  It's the best thus far in my mind.

• Love 1

One bit I really loved was towards the end where Kiera, the adrenaline having apparently worn off from the gun-waving confrontation, parked her butt on a bench with a look on her face that was all, "I gotta sit down, my foot is killing me..."

• Love 1

I was kind of surprised Kiera basically spilled her guts. I guess she thought this was her way to get everyone to think differently and/or give up. I was kind of surprised she dimed Garza out but she did nail her foot. The question is was Garza a permanent employee of old Alec or he made her a onetime deal or chance.

I also thought Garza would've cut Kiera a break by nailing in between her toes. The basic rules of first aid say never pull an object out so you hope Garza missed bone and it's just tissue damage-not a good idea to rip away from a penetrating object let alone pull it out(didn't Kiera mention something last epi about nanites tripped by adrenaline).

I was unclear about the incomplete free lancer records of the past or future?

(edited)

Carlos mentioned Second Kiera's funeral to First Kiera, then showed her the empty freezer. Kiera did some tech-whammy and realized that Alec had stolen the CMR. That's why she was so disgusted with Alec and said so to his face. He was offended at her insolence and didn't warn her about seeing Brad shoot Second Kiera in the stolen CMR recording.

Garza was a first name employee of Future Alec, working as a prostitute, before she was in Liber8. 

Edited by sjohnson

"Garza was a first name employee of Future Alec, working as a prostitute, before she was in Liber8."

I thought she was a Lib8 plant/spy although call girl first then revolutionary kind of makes sense. But then was she a true Lib8 believer or completing a mission for old Alec?- Garza complained about the future police state in previous epis.  What could old Alec offer Garza as payment?

And what of Jason. In the future he looked sane but his attic has been emptied in the past.  Exactly how long did Jason spend in 'the box'-  in the 1990s? How come everyone else isn't nutso or was Garza the personality we saw as the future prostitute and time travel set her off as well..

You may well be right. I remember lots of threats and even violence, and thought it was S&M byplay but maybe that was Garza trying to assassinate Future Alec. 

I had some vague notion that "Jasmine's" payoff was getting out of the personal entertainment business.

• Love 1
(edited)
One bit I really loved was towards the end where Kiera, the adrenaline having apparently worn off from the gun-waving confrontation, parked her butt on a bench with a look on her face that was all, "I gotta sit down, my foot is killing me..."

I loved that too. I think that's what made her pulling her foot off the nail believable. Kiera isn't a superhero without her suit, but she is a badass. So she did what she had to do and then crashed like a real person. Nice touch.

OK. So the moral of the story is that the future isn't written, right? Everyone's future as they know it no longer exists and now they all have to decide what kind of future they want to create? If so, I can get behind that. I like all the Liber8 people, especially Garza, and am glad that they've splitered off. I'm very interested in what paths they'll choose, how they'll come together, who they'll ally themselves with, etc. And obviously, Kiera needed a boyfriend--she'd gone amost three full seasons without one, which just won't do on TV--so hello, Brad.

Are we sure Kellogg is totally bad? Maybe he believed that the future they all ended up in was really lousy (it sounds lousy), so he was trying to do the same thing Liber8 was doing initially; go back and change the course of history. Send someone back to kill Kiera and allow Liber8 to try to win again in a different way. This Kellogg had no idea the second Alec and Kiera were coming, right? I mean, clearly he's sort of bad if he wants to take Kiera out, but maybe he saw it as being for the greater good. I also loved all of Kellogg's "Wait, is that me??" stuff when Brad showed the video. Ha!

Who has the time travel device? Jason or Carlos.

I'm still confused about the point of this story now and what the characters want; it's gotten so murky. But maybe that's the point. They don't know either. And I still don't buy the new Alec; his personality change is way too drastic. But they're doing a really good job with this show and I'm intrigued by the story. I hope it'll all come together in the end.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

Absolutely loved this episode! Over at io9, they're debating whether Kiera is reliable narrator so how accurate was her big speech or was she just trying to mess with Liber8? Of course Lucas, who was already unstable, would flip his lid at the mere idea of multiple timelines. Curtis is really a wild card for me since we have no idea what his origin time is. This is my theory: freelancer Curtis traveled to 2077, got in with LIber8, died, then either got revived by Freelancer tech, or got pulled from another time and brought back to the 2010's. Jumped to Kellogg's future and partnered with Brad. Ugh, that hurt my brain!

Carlos mentioned Second Kiera's funeral to First Kiera, then showed her the empty freezer. 

Minor correction. Carlos did not show Kiera the empty freezer.  He was alone when he found the freezer empty, missing the body. Hey, is there a shorthand to deal with the Kieras?  I know we have suit Alec and hoodie Alec. The Kiera we're following could be Kiera Prime and the other Dead Kiera (obviously).

I wonder how the Freelancers are going to take this news. It looks like they thought things were on track, or at least manageable. But this revelation pretty much eliminates their reason for existing.  It also means that the first Freelancer from way in the future had the wrong theory of time travel. 

It's funny, I had the same physical reactions as Lucas during Kiera's spiel. What? (shakes head in disbelief) How? (takes off glasses and rubs face wearily) Sure, whatever. (shrugs shoulders and wanders off)

• Love 1

Curtis is really a wild card for me since we have no idea what his origin time is. This is my theory: freelancer Curtis traveled to 2077, got in with LIber8, died, then either got revived by Freelancer tech, or got pulled from another time and brought back to the 2010's. Jumped to Kellogg's future and partnered with Brad. Ugh, that hurt my brain!

I hope it didn't give you an actual headache, because that is a wonderfully comprehensible explanation. More, please. 

I know we have suit Alec and hoodie Alec. The Kiera we're following could be Kiera Prime and the other Dead Kiera (obviously).

For me, it would be easier to just use Dead Kiera and Live Kiera--so long as we don't have a 3rd Kiera to deal with.
(edited)

Since we see the other characters interacting without her and knowing things she's not privy to, Kiera can't be the narrator. This narrator has to be omniscient, so what we see is the real action. She could still be manipulating the other characters, but I don't think she is. We mostly see the world as Kiera sees it and learn as she learns, so it would be really bizarre and break all the narrative rules to suddenly flip the point-of-view like that.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1
(edited)

Hey, is there a shorthand to deal with the Kieras?  I know we have suit Alec and hoodie Alec. The Kiera we're following could be Kiera Prime and the other Dead Kiera (obviously).

According to the Wikipedia entry, the Kiera and Alec who traveled back two weeks are referred to as "Red Alec" and "Red Kiera." New timeline Alec and dead Kiera are referred to as "Green Alec" and "Green Kiera."

It may be predictable to pair Kiera up with Brad, but I wouldn't mind it as character development. We've seen how desperately lonely Kiera is, and with the realization that they have, in fact, completely changed the timeline, maybe it's time for her to move on. She and Brad can both relate to being out of place and time with a family they'll probably never see again. It makes sense.

Edited by AlliMo
(edited)

Since we see the other characters interacting without her and knowing things she's not privy to, Kiera can't be the narrator. This narrator has to be omniscient, so what we see is the real action. She could still be manipulating the other characters, but I don't think she is. We mostly see the world as Kiera sees it and learn as she learns, so it would be really bizarre and break all the narrative rules to suddenly flip the point-of-view like that.

That is the literal interpretation of what narrator means. But on io9, the debate is if her proclamations about the timeline are accurate since we, as the audience, have seen her be dead wrong about things. The debate isn't about point of view or who we are as the audience but could she be wrong.

Edited by Grammaeryn

I watch a lot of sci fi shows, but I have to admit, time travel confuses the hell out of me.  I was fine until this season introduced two Alecs and two Kieras. 

I usually dislike it when time travel changes what we already know to be true about the past or future, but here I'm OK with it.  I've always thought that is was pretty crappy that the show creators gave Kiera a husband and child.  She's always intended to get back to her family in the future, so she was never going to be able to enter into any sort of serious romantic relationship in the present.  I'll be glad if her future family no longer exists. 

I do not object to a relationship between Brad and Kiera, so I hope that is where the show is going with them.  Ryan Robbins sure has bulked up since his time on Sanctuary.  He's looking good!

• Love 1
(edited)

I too see a relationship budding between Kiera and Brad--in a world with time travel, they uniquely understand and relate to each other. When she and Kellogg had their one night of drunken indescretion, it seemed motivated by that same connection in a world where neither of them could connect with anyone else. But I can also still see (just barely) a Kiera/Brad relationship as just a weigh station before the final destination of a Kiera/Carlos end game. Or is that no longer even a possibility?

According to the Wikipedia entry, the Kiera and Alec who traveled back two weeks are referred to as "Red Alec" and "Red Kiera." New timeline Alec and dead Kiera are referred to as "Green Alec" and "Green Kiera."

I saw that too, but even on Fringe where they actually used colors to visually distinguish the universes, it was confusing to use those colors to identify characters who traveled between the different 'verses and became at home in them. Fortunately we rarely have to make the distinction in our Continuum discussions since dead Kiera isn't doing much anymore.

I challenge anyone to identify any of the versions of Curtis definitively.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

How is everyone seeing this episode a week early? The SyFy channel just aired this episode on 6/13. Or is my cable company a week behind? Or . . . did I travel back one week in time??

I'm back to being confused. I had the time travel thing all worked out at the beginning of this season. But the timeline Kiera was in started to collapse when Alec went back a week, because without him in that timeline, it wouldn't be possible for him to grow up and invent time travel and send them all back in time, so none of that could have ever happened. Well, it seems to me the same thing can be said of this new timeline, if the corporate congress collapsed and the future as Kiera and Liber8 knew it never came to exist. I thought the whole point of the Freelancers was to maintain the continuum; the existence of Brad's future seems to show that they have changed, or will change, the future to the extent that none of them will end up existing. Or maybe the original timeline they come from has collapsed and this is the new timeline. But how could the be there? Ugh.

It seems to me the show's writers are trying to use the multiple timelines escape route around temporal paradox problems. The wrinkle is that they've put in timeline collapse as a way of making changes matter, a way of upping the stakes. But near as I can tell the difficulty is that so far we can't figure out a consistent rule for when timelines collapse. 

• Love 1

How is everyone seeing this episode a week early? The SyFy channel just aired this episode on 6/13. Or is my cable company a week behind? Or . . . did I travel back one week in time??

Canada gets it early. I think Monday?

Finally, something we get early! Woo!

It seems to me the show's writers are trying to use the multiple timelines escape route around temporal paradox problems. The wrinkle is that they've put in timeline collapse as a way of making changes matter, a way of upping the stakes. But near as I can tell the difficulty is that so far we can't figure out a consistent rule for when timelines collapse. 

Thank you. I agree.

For me, it just finally made sense. I adore time travel stories, time travel theories--if there were time travel themed undergarments, I would order them immediately--so I was hanging on by a thread this season, trusting all this confusion would come together--and in this episode, it finally did for me.

shapeshifter, your enthusiasm was contagious. I finished watching this episode thinking 'they did not just go there', meaning that they just invalidated all known future outcomes except as character backstory. Now they are all players working towards an unknown future, like every non-time-travel show. However, I liked what you were saying, your questions, and I will simply have to change my expectations. So thank you.

I imagined that there was a Kiera/Carlos endgame as well. It made me happy to see Carlos put a hand on Kiera's shoulder after the memorial ceremony. I like Brad, too, because he was Henry Foss from Sanctuary and I'm glad to see him again.

Was I the only one to say aloud at the end of this episode "The only winning move is not to play."  They could all drive themselves crazy trying to push events around ever so slightly only to watch events turn out in ways they never imagined or explode entirely.  I think about that every time someone tells Julian who he is going to become.  I would actually like him to say "Screw you people, I'm moving to Jamaica and living on the beach.  Good luck with the future."

• Love 4

So if I understand things, either (1) corps bail out governments and take over = very limited human rights; or (2) corps v. government, and its anarchy.  Not sure which is really worse.  Is there a third option/timeline we can choose?

(edited)
I do like the father son interactions though. With Alec being much younger and everything, it's funny when Jason calls him dad and the scenes can be quite touching.

I’m surprised at how touching I find their scenes. It’s been a highlight of this season for me.

ETA:

For all of my confusion, I really do love the crap out of this show.

This is where I am. Ordinarily, I'd have given up on the show by now, but something about the story - and the characters - continues to intrigue me.

Edited by Gillian Rosh

I'm just gonna say... Ouch! This was such a great episode that I jumped into the next one before commenting. I feel like I cheated, oh well.

My favorite part of course was seeing all the Liber8 members realizing that they can't change the future. The coorporations may be bad but their way to stop them is too and they just made the future that they wanted to prevent to happen sooner and with worse results. It was about time they got some time to think about that.