Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

17 Behind-The-Scenes Secrets Katherine McNamara Just Revealed About "Shadowhunters" And "Arrow"
Nora Dominick    August 20, 2020
https://www.buzzfeed.com/noradominick/katherine-mcnamara-shadowhunters-arrow-interview 

After starring on both Shadowhunters and Arrow, Katherine McNamara is no stranger to kickass TV shows with dedicated fanbases. So, she sat down with us to spill some behind-the-scenes secrets about playing Clary Fray, Mia Smoak, and what it was like wrapping two extremely beloved shows. Here's everything we learned from Kat:
3. Meanwhile, for Arrow, Kat only had one audition and the material was for a character completely different than Mia Smoak.
She said, "The sides were not even for anything like Mia Smoak. They were for a rookie cop with a different name with a dark past. It was this whole, sort of, disguised situation. So I had a completely different mindset going in. But I just remember having the best time just playing with it and really working with them and just experimenting in the room, and it felt very comfortable straightaway."
4. In fact, she didn't find out she was playing Oliver and Felicity's daughter until after she booked the role.
Kat said that right after she was cast, Arrow showrunner Beth Schwartz called her and told her, "Hey, we're so happy to have you. By the way, everything you know is a lie. You are Oliver and Felicity's daughter, and we're not sure what your name is yet, but we'll figure it out. Awesome."
10. One of the memories for Kat that sticks out from filming the final season of Arrow was being right beside Stephen Amell as he said goodbye to the series and Oliver Queen.
Kat explained that she got to watch Stephen go through what she had just went through with Shadowhunters, in terms of saying goodbye. She said, "You could tell how much he cared about each world we said goodbye to and each guest star and character that would come on to do their grand finale and their goodbye. And then, getting to go through the 'Crisis on Infinite Earths' by his side for most of it. It was so special and so unique. Arrow started this whole legacy of superhero shows on The CW and getting to be there and witness what it had built and the family that it had brought together was amazing. I really felt honored."

11. Also, she loved watching Stephen Amell and Emily Bett Rickards' final scenes together as Oliver and Felicity.
Kat said, "Seeing Emily and Stephen interact is always amazing. I do feel like they're my parents. I'm like so proud every time I watch them do a scene together. We couldn't have done [the series finale] without her. I'm just so glad we got to have her, it was such a treat."
14. Kat ended up keeping some flechettes — tiny arrows — that were holstered on Mia's legs in her superhero costume on Arrow.
She said that she played with the flechettes a lot on set because they wanted her to be able to "twirl it and play with it."
16. One of Kat's favorite things from filming the Arrow backdoor pilot, Green Arrow and the Canaries, was getting to play the "duality" of Mia's character.
She explained, "We had such a blast shooting that and it was really exciting to sort of play that duality of character. Having both of Mia's personalities blending together, and kind of expanding her skill set even more into, you know, trying to take on her father's legacy. We couldn't have done [this backdoor pilot] without the crew too."

17. And finally, even though both Shadowhunters and Arrow have ended, Kat is extremely grateful for the two "devoted and loving" fanbases that keep the shows alive even now.
She said, "Honestly, as an actor, you pour blood sweat and tears into everything you do, and hope that someone else, you know, invests at least a little bit into it. These are a couple of fandoms that are just absolutely invested and so on board, so kind, and loving. It's really amazing."

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Watchover with Jen and Calli
Watchover Ep 81 - Arrow 1b is a Slog

86 MINS   AUGUST 21, 2020
https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/watchover-with-jen-and-calli/e/77133351

Jen is still rewatching season one with her daughter and folks... it’s rough. She offers up some thought on it, Calli chimes in and, spoiler alert, Laurel is still very much an issue! Also: Watch Selling Sunset on Netflix! It’s a HOOT.

Edited by tv echo

Lengthy interview with JB...

Loneliness of a locked down TV star: JOHN BARROWMAN describes how Covid's left him without work and cut off from friends... but is planning the biggest step of all - fatherhood
By REBECCA HARDY   21 August 2020
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8652633/Loneliness-locked-TV-star-JOHN-BARROWMAN-describes-fatherhood.html

John Barrowman, the perennially upbeat, affable and incontestably happy Mr Nice Guy, is feeling uncharacteristically glum.

Lockdown for him — a ‘control freak who loves to work’ — has been particularly difficult, he says. As for so many in the entertainment industry, 2020 has been a complete wash out.

‘This is the longest period I’ve been home without travelling. Normally I travel and work every weekend. Part of it is frustrating and part of it is depressing.
‘I know some people find it exciting but, personally, I don’t. I’m a control freak at heart, so having the element of not knowing what’s going on and having no control over it . . .’
He sighs. ‘I’ve been depressed to be honest. There have been days through lockdown when I’ve found it difficult to get up.’

John is speaking from his home in Palm Springs, California, where he spent lockdown with his architect husband Scott Gill, whom he married in 2013. They’d only intended to be there for a month when Covid-19 struck.

(Read more)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

DC FanDome LIVE: Enter the Multiverse With Jim Lee, Walter Hamada and Greg Berlanti
BY JON ARVEDON    AUGUST 22, 2020
https://www.cbr.com/dc-fandome-live-multiverse-101/ 

DC Chief Creative Officer/Publisher Jim Lee, Warner Bros. Pictures President of DC-Based Film Production Walter Hamada and Berlanti Productions founder/producer Greg Berlanti greeted viewers at DC FanDome who tuned in for the Multiverse 101 panel.
"When people think about superheroes, they know the names, the powers, the origins, but one of the things distinct to DC is we have this reality, but there are alternate realities beside us," Lee said. "There's this endless spectrum of characters you can create."

"When we started out just with Arrow, it wasn't our intention to replicate what everyone did so brilliantly in comics," Berlanti added. He then discussed how introducing Barry Allen led to the Arroweverse as we know it. "I think just as an audience member, I wanna show up and not know who I might see here," he added, noting how the actors love playing villainous versions of themselves.

Regarding "Crisis on Infinite Earths," Berlanti said, "Marc Guggenheim is my personal encyclopedia for these types of things. We sort of kept building block by block. Truly in the last couple of years, it's taken a whole new level. We never thought we'd be able to do "Crisis." He then explained the "Crisis" teaser at the end of "Elseworlds," explaining how it was more of a pipe dream at the time.

As far as what's next, Berlanti said, "Because certain worlds have been combined, we're mindful of that. In terms of our crossover next year, because of COVID, our aspirations aren't quite as large."

Hamada then dished on Ezra Miller's "Crisis" cameo. "Before I could even finish the pitch, he was like, 'I'm in.'" He immediately jumped on it and that point, Jim ran with it."

Lee explained how the crossover had finished filming already but that it would be so meaningful to fans to have Miller appear in "Crisis." "We had to track down the costume for Ezra, and luckily he still fit in it."

"AND, the cool thing is, Ezra's Flash was never named The Flash in the movies. He learned the name from The Flash." The scene of the two Flashes meeting was then shown.
"I really do experience these shows as a fan first," Berlanti said. "Whenever anyone is doing stuff in this business from that place, then the impossible becomes possible."

"It became this really weird situation where... the fans just love these characters, so this really opens the door for us to do more crossovers, to really establish this idea that there can be a Flash on TV and a Flash in the movies," Hamada added. "You don't have to pick one or the other, you can love both. And they do both exist in this great Multiverse. I do think that moving forward, there's more opportunities for us to do this sort of stuff." He then explained how continuity isn't as strict on the TV side in comparison to the film world. "On one Earth, you have Gal and Jason and Ezra, as this Justice League and you can continue telling these stories, while on another Earth, you can have a more grounded, real, Year Two Batman (a reference to Robert Pattinson's Batman). There is that one Earth, that greater Earth with this existing Justice League and another that's sort of happening with that Year Two Batman. And of course there's outliers like Joker, that doesn't exist on either Earth, but that's OK. Matt Reeves can continue to build out his Gotham."
During the Q&A, a fan asked if the Multiverse was gone.

"It's not gone," Berlanti said. "I think for the purposes of The CW, those worlds are one, but off network is like being off-planet."

Another fan asked if there would be more Elseworlds movies, making specific reference to Red Son.

"The possibility is there. It really comes down to, our focus is great stories," Hamada said. "And so, if we come across the right filmmaker with the right story, and it doesn't work within our existing timeline, and it would work as an Elseworld, we can definitely explore it. I can say we're not currently developing Red Son, that isn't one of them. But that's the beauty of Multiverses. We can explore it, we can go down the road and take a shot at it."
The last question was how the panelists manage such a Multiverse.

Berlanti explained how it doesn't confuse him watching animated and live-action Batmen, so it shouldn't be an issue between different live-action versions.

Edited by tv echo

Which Umbrella Academy Character Is Most Like Which Hero In The Arrowverse?
BY SHAWN S. LEALOS    AUGUST 22, 2020
https://screenrant.com/which-umbrella-academy-character-most-like-heroes-arrowverse-comparison/

Based on the comic books by Gerard Way, Gabriel Ba, Jason Hvam, and Dave Stewart, Umbrella Academy tells the story of a group of former childhood heroes. As adults, they have to find a way to stop an upcoming apocalypse. Here is a look at the similarities that exist between the characters in the Umbrella Academy and the Arrowverse.
9/10 LUTHER - DIGGLE
When it comes to Umbrella Academy, Luther is the guy they call on when they need some serious muscle to take care of a problem. While he is nowhere near as powerful as Luther, Diggle is the muscle man for Team Arrow.

While Oliver is more of a stealth fighter who can scrap when needed, it is Diggle that provides the muscle and is not afraid to mix it up when he needs to. Both men also served as bodyguards, Luther in Season 2, and Diggle was Oliver Queen's bodyguard early on Arrow.
8/10 DIEGO - ARROW
On Arrow, Oliver Queen was always someone who wanted to protect his city at all costs. He traveled in the shadows, remained hidden, and took care of business without worrying about allies at first. Diego is the same in Umbrella Academy.

Both men learned after fighting alone that it was often better to have someone to count on as well. Finally, both men never miss, although, for Oliver, it was training while Diego actually had this trait as a superpower.
4/10 BEN - FELICITY SMOAK
When it comes to the Umbrella Academy, especially in Season 2, the voice of reason and the moral fiber of the team was not someone who joined them in the fights. Instead, it was Ben, someone who had the ear of a hero and tried to influence him to be a better person.

In Arrow, there is a character that fits that bill perfectly. Felicity Smoak is not someone who runs into battle and fights supervillains. However, out of everyone on Arrow, it was Felicity who had Oliver Queen's ear, kept him from veering off the right path, and tried her best to keep him an honorable hero.
2/10 LILA - ARSENAL
Lila was someone on Umbrella Academy who was trained to be a weapon and was someone who, as a result, was not always in the best state of mind. Over in the Arrowverse, Roy Harper was someone who began training to be more like Oliver Queen and became a secondary hero, but one who often went over the line when it came to his vigilante actions.

Both characters suffered mental abuse, and both lost their grip on their sanity, making them even more dangerous and in need of someone to reach out and help them.

10/10 VANYA - FIRESTORM
9/10 LUTHER - DIGGLE
8/10 DIEGO - ARROW

7/10  ALLISON - CAITLIN SNOW
6/10 KLAUS - CONSTANTINE
5/10 NUMBER FIVE - FLASH
4/10 BEN - FELICITY SMOAK
3/10 SIR REGINALD - HARRISON WELLS
2/10 LILA - ARSENAL
1/10 THE HANDLER - EOBARD THAWNE

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Why Arrowverse & MCU Both Succeeded (When Other Shared Universes Failed)
BY THOMAS BACON     AUGUST 22, 2020
https://screenrant.com/arrowverse-mcu-success-shared-universe-problems-failures/

In a quirk of timing, both the MCU and the Arrowverse are essentially about to be relaunched. The first three phases of the MCU are now known as the "Infinity Saga," building up to a climax in last year's Avengers: Endgame, which served as the swan song for Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark and Chris Evans' Captain America. The Arrowverse, meanwhile, finally built up to the much-anticipated Crisis on Infinite Earths — a story it had been teasing since The Flash season 1 premiere — and rebooted the Multiverse. All this was achieved at the cost of Stephen Amell's Oliver Queen, meaning the Arrowverse too has lost its foundational hero. The coincidence of timing is ironic, to say the least.
Ironically, the core problem is that studios have usually been a little too eager to build these shared universes. The Marvel Cinematic Universe took its time, establishing each individual character before finally bringing them all together in 2012's The Avengers; Marvel aimed to make each individual movie as good as they could, with the shared universe adding context rather than dictating the plot. In the same way, Arrow had been running for two seasons before the first spinoff, The Flash, was launched. As vast as these universes may have now become, they started out slowly and developed organically. Few studios have been willing to take the same approach with their own shared universes, with execs instead desperate to make bank as quickly as possible, and so unwittingly sabotaging their own efforts.

Looking at the failures, one also gets a sense that there is no overarching vision for the various franchises. The MCU has had its own stumbles, but it has become ever more successful due in large part to the increasing dominance of Kevin Feige, while the Arrowverse has been guided by mastermind Greg Berlanti. In contrast, other cinematic universes usually find creative visions compromised by competing interests, as studio execs intervene in order to course-correct the films while they're in production — the result of that conflict was most plainly seen in the DCEU's Justice League.
There are striking similarities between the MCU and the Arrowverse, and one of the most surprising is the fact they both faced the same problem early on: neither Marvel nor DC technically had access to their biggest brands. Marvel had to launch the MCU without Spider-Man and the X-Men, while Warner Bros. restricted the Arrowverse from using characters they planned to appear in the movies. Ironically, in both cases this actually helped. The lack of guaranteed hits meant producers, directors and writers focused on making each movie and each episode as strong as it could possibly be. Both franchises saw some inspired casting choices, with Robert Downey Jr. defining Tony Stark and Chris Evans embodying Captain America, while Stephen Amell delighted fans as Oliver Queen and Grant Gustin is still seen as the definitive Barry Allen.

It's no coincidence both the Arrowverse and the MCU are comic book adaptations. These films and TV shows are essentially repeating what the comics have been doing since the 1950s and 1960s, smashing together different heroes in versus matches and team-ups. These comics can be viewed as proofs of concept, helping to figure out what works and what doesn't. They include epic stories — like Jim Starlin's Infinity Gauntlet and Marv Wolfman's Crisis on Infinite Earths — that can be adapted when the time is right. In contrast, many of the other shared universes feel artificial, existing only as potential money-making devices.
Oddly enough, both the MCU and the Arrowverse made early mistakes. The MCU's Phase 2 suffered from behind-the-scenes conflict, as Marvel Studios imposed the Infinity Stones plot on their writers and directors; creators found themselves chafing under the controversial Marvel Creative Committee, and by 2015, things had become so bad Disney forced a corporate restructure. The Arrowverse's problems were less pronounced, but they're still visible in the lackluster Arrow seasons 3 and 4, with Arrow's showrunners struggling to make their street-level vigilante work well in an expanding world of superheroes. But, in both cases, the issues were ultimately resolved and creators found a new balance.
The Arrowverse, however, is in a slightly less stable position. On the one hand, the loss of Stephen Amell shouldn't affect it too much; Arrow may have laid the foundation, but for years The Flash has been the most popular show, and Grant Gustin and his supporting cast are still on board. What's more, the Arrowverse is now gaining some new big-name brands, with a Superman & Lois series set to launch next year. But there are still problems, mostly involving casting. Ruby Rose left Batwoman after just one season, and the show is set to introduce an original character as her successor, something of a gamble. As well, The Flash lost Hartley Sawyer's Ralph Dibny after some tasteless social media posts surfaced online. Up until now, the Arrowverse has had a reputation for top-rate casting, but that has been soured somewhat of late.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

19 Actors Who Were Perfectly Cast And Styled As Comic Book Characters
Hannah Marder   August 24, 2020
https://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahmarder/actors-that-looked-like-their-comic-book-characters

4. The Black Canary from Arrow (played by Caity Lotz)

sub-buzz-9425-1597157156-7.png?crop=456:  sub-buzz-2127-1596561498-1.jpg?crop=639: 

While the identity of the Black Canary in the comics and Arrow-verse changed, I always really liked Sarah Lance as the Black Canary.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

23 Beautiful Olicity GIFs Just Because We Miss Them
BY LINDSAY MACDONALD   AUG 28, 2020
https://www.tvguide.com/news/23-beautiful-olicity-gifs-just-because-we-miss-them/ 

Arrow has only been gone from our lives for a few months, but our withdrawals are already painful enough to start another rewatch. With that rewatch comes the not-so-shocking reminder that Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) and Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards) are seriously #shipgoals.

From way back in Season 1, when they were casual friends who occasionally exchanged extremely odd and inexplicable favors, to Season 8 where we saw them get the happiest of endings together, Oliver and Felicity's love has always stolen our hearts. So obviously, the fandom spent the last eight years that Arrow was on the air creating some of the best GIFs and fanart that's ever existed. We picked out all our of our favorites to create this list of the most beautiful Olicity GIFs of all time.

Why, you ask? We don't need a reason, we just miss them, OK! 
Arrow is currently streaming on Netflix.

b0ef3295bd90fa8d458c9c4b8680b705.gif 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

Arn Anderson Recalls Stephen Amell Wrestling at SummerSlam 2015
By Andrew Ravens -August 29, 2020
https://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/arn-anderson-recalls-stephen-amell-wrestling-at-summerslam-2015 

Arn Anderson discussed Stephen Amell wrestling a tag team match at the SummerSlam pay-per-view event in 2015 during the most recent edition of ARN. 
On WWE working out Stephen Amell before his SummerSlam 2015 match: “Prior to this match happening, I got word I needed to be at a live event really early because Stephen was gonna be there and he was out on the coast doing a movie, and we were gonna get him in the ring and see what he had. He showed up, we got him in the ring, there were some things that he had just kind of thought he knew because he’d seen it on TV and he half did know. So he didn’t just walk in there never watching the show or anything else.”

On what he thought of Amell’s performance: “The guy was very athletic. And damn, I tell ya, I was shocked. He did a few things that afternoon that just picked it up right away. Basic stuff – I couldn’t tell you exactly what it was – it was just stuff that right away he had it. And I knew he wasn’t gonna embarrass himself, and he wasn’t gonna embarrass us. And this is one of those rare times that you get a guy that steps into our world and you don’t try to do too much. You just do what he’s comfortable doing. He gave a good showing for himself and the audience paid him back by not eating him alive by actually showing him some respect. So, it was a pretty feel-good night.”

Edited by tv echo

Even TVLine isn't buying it...

Arrowverse... or 'The CWverse'? Promo Attempts Name Change We Will Ignore
By Matt Webb Mitovich / September 2 2020
https://tvline.com/2020/09/02/arrowverse-name-change-the-cw-verse/ 

A promo released on Tuesday afternoon acknowledges up front that “FROM ONE HERO… AN ENTIRE UNIVERSE… WAS BORN” — referring to Green Arrow’s eponymous series and the half-dozen DC comic dramas that it has sired in the years since: The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, Black Lightning, Batwoman and, as hyped in the final seconds, incoming freshman Superman & Lois (premiering in 2021).

That “entire universe,” the promo suggests, is now known as… The CWverse. Apparently? Update: It has come to my attention that “CWverse” was first trotted out over a year ago, in this promo.
Ever since Arrow‘s end date was announced (the series finale aired Jan. 28), there has been casual, Internetty speculation about whether the “Arrowverse” name would stick. (“Why name the roster of current shows after the expired one?” someone surely mused.)

I, for one, never considered budging from the Arrowverse name, deeming it 100-percent and forever accurate in giving credit to the flagship series that spun off the others. But The CW (or at least Lenny in marketing) appears to have arrived at a different POV — possibly because of Arrow‘s now-defunct status, or because Season 2 of DC’s Stargirl will be a CW exclusive, and that show is not even an indirect spinoff, yet is, as I put it, “Arrowverse-adjacent.” (Arrow‘s series finale indicated that DC series such as Stargirl, Titans and Doom Patrol take place on other Earths in the new, Spectre-sired multiverse. It’s complicated.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Arrowverse's New Name Is Absurd (We Have Better Ideas)
BY THOMAS BACON   SEPTEMBER 2, 2020
https://screenrant.com/arrowverse-new-name-cwverse-rebrand-bad-reason/

The CW is attempting to rebrand the Arrowverse, and their new name is absolutely absurd. Arrow was originally intended as a standalone TV series, but in 2014 it launched its first spinoff. Fans initially alternated between calling this the "Flarrowverse" and the "Arrowverse," but they soon settled upon the second term. Soon, the producers themselves were referring to the Arrowverse internally (although initially they appear to have hyphenated it, i.e. "Arrow-verse").

Sadly, all good things must come to an end. The final season of Arrow has ended, with Oliver Queen sacrificing himself to reboot the universe. Sadly, as time passes it's becoming clear The CW is in no hurry to sign off on spinoff Green Arrow and the Canaries, which would have starred Katherine McNamara as Oliver's older daughter Mia; in fat, McNamara is reportedly in talks for the Urban Legend reboot, suggesting she's moving on. All that means there won't be any more Emerald Archers in the Arrowverse, and that name will soon become a historical curiosity. Consequently, The CW is attempting to rename the franchise.
Not very well, unfortunately. A recent promotional trailer showed off their various superhero TV series, celebrating them as "The CWverse." There's a sense in which this name is a little amusing, given only a few years ago The CW was wary of committing to too many DCTV shows at once lest they become seen as a superhero network. Unfortunately, it's also clumsy, and it certainly doesn't roll of the tongue. What's more, there's an odd sense in which it feels rather proprietary, as though The CW is declaring these shows as theirs. That sits uncomfortably with the fact both Supergirl and Stargirl started out on different networks and streaming services.
In truth, any concerted attempt to rename the Arrowverse is likely doomed to failure. The CW has failed to understand that this name wasn't really chosen by its producers, but rather was acknowledged by them. It was named by the fans, and there is no way the fans will accept the network imposing a new name upon it. Not least because, while The CW may be ready to move on from Oliver Queen, that doesn't mean the fans are. The best approach would be to simply leave it be, and wait until a few years have passed and the fan community itself begins to use another name. Alternatively, if there must be a rebrand, a better approach would be to cut across the board - to rebrand everything, from the DCEU to the Arrowverse. They can now all safely be advertised as part of the DC Multiverse, a brand that would embrace every DC movie and TV series ever released.

There is one other option, though, but again it requires a little patience from The CW. They could choose to brand their shows the "DC Universe." Granted, that name is currently used by WarnerMedia's streaming service, but that's pretty clearly winding down. It's just a matter of time before the name is free - and that would be a cool and useful successor to the "Arrowverse" brand, which would easily add or remove other shows and movies whenever the creatives please.

The CW Is Attempting To Rename Arrowverse Now That Arrow Is Over
BY DANIEL GILLESPIE   SEPTEMBER 1, 2020
https://screenrant.com/arrowverse-new-name-cwverse-cw-superheros-trailer/

The decision to rename the universe makes sense in a limited way. Now that Arrow is no longer on the air, and that character is no longer alive in the universe, it seems strange to continue to refer to it as the Arrowverse if looked at without content. But the context, in this case, is everything. Not only did Arrow launch the franchise for The CW, but Arrowverse is also what every fan on earth calls the universe.

To change it now, six years after it was created, and to a, frankly, shameless plug for the network that the shows appear on seems like a mistake. Fans will certainly not suddenly start referring to it as The CWverse, and media will likely cling to the name Arrowverse for as long as they can. This will likely lead to a situation where the universe is called one thing officially, but another entirely by the majority of people who watch it. A strange decision, and one that will have fans scratching their heads for some time to come.

Stephen Amell Shares Two Cents On The CW Trying To Rename The Arrowverse
ADRIENNE JONES     PUBLISHED: SEP. 2. 2020
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2553838/stephen-amell-shares-two-cents-on-the-cw-trying-to-rename-the-arrowverse 

I, like most fans of the Arrowverse, don't understand why The CW would try to rename the franchise at this point, anyway. While I totally get that Arrow is no longer a part of the family of shows, it's not like those characters stories have been completely erased from the memories of all the characters on the other shows via the "Crisis on Infinite Earths" shenanigans. Arrow's legacy as the series that started it all still lives on in The Flash, Supergirl and the others, so why not continue to pay tribute to what the show helped to bring about?

Besides, Arrowverse has a nice ring to it, and makes sense because all of the shows are truly connected. Calling them "The CWverse" makes it sound like the Legends of Tomorrow gang can mix it up with the rich folks of Dynasty, who sometimes have to call Supernatural's Sam and Dean to take care of vampires who moved to town after terrorizing the kids from Legacies. The CW should just calm down, and if they can't let the Arrowverse stand, they should take Stephen Amell's advice and call it the Berlantiverse. Problem solved!

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

THE ARROWVERSE IS NO MORE, WELCOME TO THE CWVERSE…UGH!
by Jonas Diego   Sep. 1, 2020
https://screencrit.com/the-arrowverse-is-no-more-welcome-to-the-cwverse-ugh/ 

Apparently, The CW is calling their superhero universe The CWverse instead of its former moniker, Arrowverse presumably because The Arrow, the show that kicked it off, is no longer on air. That being said it’s a weird name (or maybe it’s because I’m partial to their original name for it).

The CW’s ‘Arrowverse’ Rebrands as ‘TheCWverse’ in New Promo for Superhero Shows (Video)
Jennifer Maas | September 2, 2020
https://www.thewrap.com/arrowverse-thecwverse-rebrand-supergirl-batwoman-superman-promo-video/ 

A representative for The CW told TheWrap the network has actually been using “TheCWverse” rebrand “for a while,” pointing to this promo from last year, which ran before well before “Arrow” concluded in January.

The CWverse Trailer: The CW Renames the Arrowverse; First Look at SUPERMAN & LOIS TV Show
Rollo Tomasi   September 3, 2020
https://film-book.com/superman-first-look-at-new-superhero-tv-show/ 

The CW has released a TV show trailer for the newly re-dubbed Arrowverse (since Arrow has concluded) and footage for their new upcoming TV show Superman & Lois. The Arrowverse will now be called The CWverse. That makes no sense to me since it excludes the other TV series on The CW. The CWverse only includes the superhero TV series that air on The CW. It seems to me another moniker should have been chosen.

Arrow star Stephen Amell and The CW try to rename the Arrowverse
BY SUSANNAH ALEXANDER    SEPTEMBER 3, 2020
https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a33909377/arrowverse-arrow-stephen-amell-the-cw/  

In a promotional video released on Tuesday, The CW refers to the universe of super-powered shows as "The CWverse" and although the clip begins with shots of Oliver Queen / Green Arrow (Amell), accompanied by the words, "From one hero an entire universe was born", it seems that the term 'Arrowverse' coined by Arrow is being phased out.
Even Amell is at it, although he had a different suggestion as he tweeted that the universe should be called "the Berlantiverse" after Arrowverse co-creator and writer Greg Berlanti.
One fan replied to Amell's tweet with: "No stop. Its the #Arrowverse always and forever. The other shows wouldnt have existed if Arrow didnt show up. It is disrespectful to what you and the show have achieved and it is disrespectful to the legacy of the show."

Another added: "Arrowverse... Always. You worked hard for it to exist, so..." while another simply commented: "It's not going to happen."
Another fan was more on board with the name change though, tweeting: "It's pretty accurate though. All shows on the CW take place on a single earth in the new Multiverse. So that is the CW Earth. Not just the Arrow earth. I thought 'Arrowverse' was always pretty silly because not every show in that universe had a connection to Arrow."

Edited by tv echo

Why Arrow Season 3 Was So Underrated
BY NICHOLAS RAYMOND    SEPTEMBER 2, 2020
https://screenrant.com/arrow-season-3-underrated-not-bad-reason/ 

Season 3 was filled with pivotal moments and storylines that shaped the future of both the show and the Arrowverse as a whole. It set up Legends of Tomorrow and Sara Lance’s White Canary future by killing her off, featured the debut of Brandon Routh’s Ray Palmer, introduced the concept of the Lazarus Pits, put Oliver and Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) together, and transformed Laurel Lance (Katie Cassidy) into the Black Canary. However, those things haven’t stopped season 3 from receiving a great deal of criticism from a section of the fanbase, who regards it as a major disappointment.
In the show’s first two seasons, Arrow was focused on being a dark and gritty, grounded show about a vigilante, but season 3 is when it started to become a bit more like a superhero series. For some, the change was too much, especially since it began incorporating science fiction and fantasy elements all at once with the argument being that Arrow lost its identity. In the same season that it brought in the Atom, it also dove into the mystical nature and the restorative properties of the Lazarus Pits.
While it’s true that Arrow changed in season 3, that doesn’t mean the story it offered wasn’t as compelling or as nuanced as the others. Arrow season 3 is often underappreciated. Though were some opposed by how this played out, Sara’s shocking death started off the season with a powerful and emotional bang that really shook up the main characters. This and later events in the season provided a lot of character growth for the various members of Team Arrow. The individual plotlines for characters like Laurel, Thea (Willa Holland), and Diggle (David Ramsey) took them to some interesting places.
For the first time, Arrow provided an opponent so challenging that it was difficult to imagine how Oliver could possibly win. Both Deathstroke and Merlyn were highly skilled, but neither was an immortal swordsman who had trained for hundreds of years. The scene where the superior Ra’s al Ghul effortlessly defeated Oliver and kicked him off the cliff remains one of the show’s most memorable moments. The ensuing struggle to recover from his defeat, seeing Team Arrow grow and become more independent in his absence and the final battle with the League of Assassins all helped make Arrow season 3 a fun watch.

Edited by tv echo

Why joining Arrow was so scary for Kevin Alejandro - Exclusive
BY KATY KROLL  SEPT. 2, 2020
https://www.looper.com/242895/why-joining-arrow-was-so-scary-for-kevin-alejandro-exclusive/ 

But before he was mixed up in the antics of one Lucifer Morningstar, Alejandro first stepped into the DC Universe when he appeared on season 2 of the CW show Arrow as Sebastian Blood, aka Brother Blood. The series, based on the comic book character Green Arrow, is the cornerstone of the CW's Arrowverse that includes such intertwined shows as The Flash, Supergirl, and Legends of Tomorrow. In the dual Blood roles, the actor portrayed the Mayor of Starling City who was also secretly the leader of the Church of Blood, using fear as motivation to fix the city at any cost.

In an exclusive video chat with Looper, Alejandro delves into what it took to play Brother Blood and reflected on why joining Arrow was actually a scary experience for him.
Joining Arrow in 2013 wasn't something that Alejandro took lightly. In fact, he calls it a "scary moment" in his career."

It was a bit nerve-wracking to come into a show that was already established and already had a big fan base," he says. "Plus, it was a world that I wasn't familiar with, so I really had to do my research with playing Brother Blood because I wasn't educated in it. I knew how niche this world is and how it was important not to offend anybody with my portrayal of this character because it already exists in a world beyond me."
"The standout moment for me was actually moving to Vancouver to shoot my first few episodes and locking myself in my hotel room and really just figuring out how to play this guy," he tells us. "I wouldn't go out. I was like a crazy person talking to myself every day, researching what kind of a human being he was ... Like all the actor-y mumbo jumbo that not a lot of people want to know about. But I was that actor, and there was no time so I had to figure it as I was going along. So, yeah, that was a scary moment."
"I think if I had failed in my portrayal of Brother Blood on Arrow, I probably wouldn't have been invited back to the universe [on Lucifer]," the actor shares. "And that's just a testament to putting in the work, the time, the research. And once you're in, it's amazing. The fans are the most loyal and the most respectful, but they also expect a lot. They expect you to do what you're supposed to do, but once you've proven to them that you deserve to be there, they love you for it. I love being part of that universe, and it's not an easy world to become a part of."

Edited by tv echo

Although this article was originally published in 2016, it's new to me - it's also an interesting reminder of how much so many of the Arrow characters deviated from the comics...

What the cast of Arrow should really look like
Luis Prada    Nov. 7, 2016; updated Mar. 29, 2018
https://www.looper.com/30150/cast-arrow-really-look-like/ 

... A comic book show that grounds itself in a somewhat recognizable version of our reality, Arrow takes the Christopher Nolan route with costume design—not too comic booky, but it occasionally goes nuts and has fun with it. How drastic were the changes when a member of the Justice League was given his own TV show? Let's find out...

Oliver Queen / Green Arrow 
oliver-queen-green-arrow.jpg

Robin Hood. That's all it has to be said of a comic book Green Arrow. Oliver Queen could wear all the hoodies and masks he wants, but that facial hair is about three centuries too late. Thankfully the minds behind Arrow decided to just give Oliver permanent blonde scruff. Besides, how weird would it be if a modern-day billionaire in his late 20s or early 30s walked around looking like a guy who sells handcrafted flutes at the Renaissance fair?

Thea Queen / Speedy 
thea-queen-speedy.jpg

Thea doesn't exist in the comics, but Speedy does—and she's a different character whose real name is Mia Dearden. Thea's full name is Thia Dearden Queen. In the comic she isn't Oliver's sister, her costume is accented with yellow, and its primary color is either red or black. Even more confusing: Roy Harper originally went by the name Speedy in the comics. Mia took up the mantle after Roy changed his codename to Arsenal. Who was Roy Harper? Well...

Roy Harper / Arsenal 
roy-harper-arsenal.jpg

Roy Harper used to be called Speedy, then later changed his name to Arsenal, and then at some point went by the name Red Arrow, all the while looking pretty much the same. He doesn't usually wear a red hood like he does on TV, and in the early days of his comic book existence he had some yellow incorporated into his color scheme. And why not wear yellow when you're prancing around on rooftops in the dead of night? When you're trying to hide in the shadows to get the jump on your enemies it's always good to wear the color most closely associated with the sun.

John Diggle 
john-diggle.jpg

Diggle is an example of the tail wagging the dog. He follows in the footsteps of Harley Quinn as a DC character created exclusively for television who has made his way into the comic book universe. It's not surprising that he looks pretty much the same on TV—like a generic Jack Bauer ally who gets killed halfway through a season of 24.

Felicity Smoak 
felicity-smoak.jpg

Felicity has shown up in a couple forms throughout DC history, making their first comic book appearance in 1984 as the stepmother to the superhero Firestorm who works as the manager of a computer company in New York. She was later reintroduced into DC comics continuity as the Felicity Smoak fans know and love only after the character became a fan favorite as a part of the main cast of Arrow. Felicity's comic book look was based off of actress Emily Bett Rickards, which is why she's retained her signature blonde hair and thickly framed glasses.
Quentin Lance 
quentin-lance.jpg

The creators of Arrow fudged with a lot of the characters' histories before bringing them to the screen, and Quentin Lance is a pretty good example. Originally, Quentin's name was Larry. He's been a policeman and a private detective in different iterations of the DC universe, but either way, he's Black Canary's father. Visually, he's portrayed as a slightly disheveled police detective on Arrow. But in the comics, Quentin, um, Larry, is dashing and suave, the spitting image of James Bond—hair slicked back and jet black, suits gorgeous, and a cigarette always in hand.
Laurel Lance / Black Canary
laurel-lance-black-canary.jpg

At first glance, it might seem like the Arrow version of Black Canary has a lot in common with her comics counterpart, but look closer. You'll notice one looks like she's wearing a tactical suit befitting a crime fighter, while the other looks like a stripper whose boyfriend is in a motorcycle gang. A leather one-piece bathing suit with a tiny leather jacket and fishnets isn't really a great crimefighting gear. TV Black Canary's costume is an improvement in every way...with the exception of the hair. Sorry, Laurel, but that wig is atrocious; you're better off wrapping the fishnets around your head like a lunch lady.
Carrie Cutter / Cupid 
carrie-cutter-cupid.jpg

Cupid is one of the more radical departures from comic to screen. On the page she looks like Poison Ivy. Green leggings, a green sports bra-like contraption, green gloves, green veil, and fiery red hair. On Arrow, the green is still there in the form of a low-cut shirt, but it's hidden beneath the Arrowverse's prerequisite cool-looking leather jacket. As we learned from Bryan Singer's X-Men movies, if there's any article of clothing that can act as a stand-in for the cheesiness of the comic book outfit it's a leather jacket, preferably black. Superheroes are always cold.

Oliver Queen / Green Arrow
Thea Queen / Speedy
Roy Harper / Arsenal 
John Diggle 
Felicity Smoak 
Malcolm Merlyn 
Quentin Lance 
Slade Wilson / Deathstroke 
Damien Darhk
Ra's al Ghul 
Count Vertigo 
Amanda Waller 
Sebastian Blood / Brother Blood 
Laurel Lance / Black Canary 
Deadshot 
Carrie Cutter / Cupid 
Huntress 
Captain Boomerang
John Constantine 
Royal Flush Gang 

Edited by tv echo

More media backlash against "The CWverse"...

The CW SHOULD Have Kept the Name Arrowverse
Timothy Donohoo   Sep. 4, 2020
https://www.cbr.com/the-cw-should-have-kept-name-arrowverse/ 

The universe likely would not have developed as it had if the events in Arrow didn't transpire the way that they did. Barry Allen would have never returned to Central City from Star(ling) City when he did and promptly become the Flash. Thus, he never would have met Supergirl through interdimensional travel. Likewise, Sara wouldn't have become the Black and later White Canary or joined the Legends of Tomorrow crew. Literally everything hinged upon Arrow's existence, if only because it was the show which all the others were in some way spawned from.

On top of that, Green Arrow would sacrifice himself in The CW's crossover, Crisis on Infinite Earths. Returning later as the Spectre, he literally rebooted the Arrowverse after so many worlds had been destroyed. Thus, it now more than ever truly is the Arrowverse, as once again, it wouldn't exist without Green Arrow and the show that he starred on. Even though Arrow has now ended its roughly eight-year run, it's an ongoing impact on the other shows can not be stressed enough,
While changing the name at all could itself be argued against, the name that the network chose was wrong for several reasons. For one, the CWverse is more fitting for a series of spinoffs of original shows such as Supernatural. These would be shows which The CW outright owns, and not just adaptations of existing properties. Though not quite the same situation, the current route would be like if Netflix titled their Marvel shows, which were still nominally in the MCU, as the "Netflixverse."

Secondly, given the fact that so many of DC properties and adaptations, such as the Donnerverse, were included in Crisis, the name CWverse is even more confusing. How could their CWverse be so tightly connected to content which The CW didn't create or own? Needless to say, the decision to change the title after five years of referring to it as the Arrowverse is rather confusing, though it oddly does mirror the journey of said universe's former namesake and greatest hero.

CW, stop trying to make CWverse happen
Eric Frederiksen    Sep. 5, 2020
https://batman-news.com/2020/09/05/cwverse-editorial-arrowverse/ 

First and foremost, “Arrowverse” is a fan-coined name. The CW is lucky to have fans who love its programming enough to come up with a name so that they can talk about it more. It’s not often your viewers give you a marketable, hashtaggable name that helps you advertise a half-dozen (and counting!) shows. To try to re-brand it is disrespectful of the people who come back every week because they love these shows. It tells fans that corporate branding is more important than fan love. And we live in a capitalist society, so that’s exactly what the CW thinks. But they’d be smart to try to pretend like they didn’t.

Second, I’d even suggest that it’s disrespectful to the characters of the Arrowverse and the people behind the shows. The front half of the 2019-2020 season was a big tribute to what these people built. Greg Berlanti found a tone that worked to get a comic-book show on the air and then, when that show was successful, helped usher in five more. He also cast Stephen Amell as Oliver Queen, someone with the physicality and charisma to play a superhero for eight television seasons and to own the character. Many actors aren’t interested in advertising their work, but Amell took to it. He became one of the biggest faces of the network on social media, in press, and on the network itself. As much as people think of the CW as a network for teenagers, DC superheroes are just as much of a pull these days.

In the bounds of the fiction, Oliver Queen literally re-made the multiverse. He’s mourned by all the shows’ main and secondary characters. We spent a year from 2018’s “Elseworlds” crossover waiting for “Crisis on Infinite Earths,” and it became a huge network event. Now, not even a year later, the network wants to move on. Again, it makes bean-counter sense. But it feels bad.
Or maybe just leave it by the name we all know, like, and use. Honor the characters and the creators. Call it the Arrowverse.

DC Weekly: Sorry CW But We’ll Always Call It The Arrowverse
Emmanuel Gomez    Sep. 5, 2020
https://lrmonline.com/news/dc-weekly-sorry-cw-but-well-always-call-it-the-arrowverse/ 

This might be a bit of a stretch but I firmly believe that none of this that we have talked about would have been possible without the early success of Arrow. It allowed Warner Bros. to gradually take bigger risks with characters and storylines. I believe it also persuaded other networks to develop their own superhero series, which then ended up on The CW. This is one reason why I think that they should have just kept the name Arrowverse.
The other reason is that calling it the CWverse alienates the other series on The CW that aren’t DC properties. So is Riverdale and Supernatural now part of the same universe? When are we getting that crossover? Keeping the name Arrowverse would help viewers not confuse the shows on the network. Arrowverse equals DC series, CWverse everything else.

Probably the most important reason is because of the effect of Amell’s character on the rest of the… well… Arrowverse. He serves as this universe’s Batman. This is because Warner Bros. will never allow the Dark Knight to make a full appearance on television (I’m looking at you Gotham, that wasn’t much of an appearance). He mentored Barry Allen and had a relationship with Caity Lotz’s Black Canary turned White Canary. Both who lead their own series. He also made the ultimate sacrifice to save and reset the Arrowverse during the events of Crisis on Infinite Earths. Thus deserving the name, Arrowverse.

Sorry, we’re not calling it that! The CW changes the name of the Arrowverse
C.J. Hawkings   Sep. 5, 2020
https://culturess.com/2020/09/04/sorry-not-calling-cw-changes-name-arrowverse/ 

Sure, the term “Arrowverse” might not be the official name of The CW’s DC TV programming block in the eyes of the network, but it is as far as the franchise’s fans are concerned. The name of the Greg Berlanti Productions shows was penned by Marc Guggenheim in now-obsolete promo material for the web series Vixen in August 2015. The phrase was also used by now-former producer Andrew Kreisberg. However, the shared universe has been referred by other things over the years including “Berlantiverse,” “Flarrowverse” and “DC-TVverse.” And a new trailer for all the CW television shows associated with DC Comics has officially unveiled another new — and somewhat boring — name for our beloved multiverse: the “CWverse.” Give us strength.
When the promo dropped, fans were not thrilled that the term Arrowverse wasn’t used in the marketing of the upcoming seasons. Even the writer behind the TVLine article couldn’t believe that it would be changed to something as dull as the CWverse.

It’s fine to have an opinion on the matter, and yes, Arrow is now over, but many have questioned the official name can’t be the Arrowverse. The other shows wouldn’t exist without the series. And, honestly, why break something that isn’t even broken? The fans have known it as one thing for five years. To rename it now is redundant.
All this is to say, most of us are just going to keep calling it the Arrowverse, regardless of what The CW markets it as. Sorry, not sorry.

Edited by tv echo

Watchover Ep 82 - What We’re Watching

102 MINS. SEP. 4, 2020
https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/watchover-with-jen-and-calli/e/77480084

Welcome back! Jen returns from vacation to dish on Arrow episodes 8&9 of season 1 and as usual, we can’t help but talk beyond into season 2 a bit. We also talk about what shows have us wagging our chins right now, especially Selling Sunset and Yellowstone!

Edited by tv echo

6 Names Better Than The CWverse
BY APEKSHA BAGCHI    1 DAY AGO
https://www.cbr.com/6-names-better-cwverse/

Not only is the universe being renamed at a time when fans are still mourning the demise of Oliver Queen, but the new name also doesn't really have a chance of taking off. What will instead happen is that fans will either stick to their personal terms or rebrand DC’s superhero universe, leaving it with countless unofficial names. So, with that in mind, let's look at six names that trump the rebranded title.
ARROWVERSE
With Arrow serving as the catalyst from which the entire family of DC shows on The CW were born, keeping the name Arrowverse just makes sense. Not only did the Green Arrow launch the DC TV franchise for The CW but in the massive crossover event, “Crisis on Infinite Earths," he also sacrificed himself to become to reboot the multiverse. Whether The CW network accepts it or not, Arrow is the face of its DC shows and it's going to take more than a press release to change that.

ARROWVERSE
FLASHVERSE
FLARROWVERSE
BERLANTIVERSE
DC TV-VERSE
DC MULTIVERSE

Edited by tv echo

I don't agree with these rankings, but here's one guy's opinion...

The Ultimate Greg Berlanti Ranking
POSTED BY JOE REID     THURSDAY 9/10/2020
https://www.primetimer.com/features/the-ultimate-greg-berlanti-ranking 

All told, 39 films and TV shows — previous to Unpregnant — have had Berlanti's name attached to them. Some have been great, some terrible, some gone before their time, some gone at exactly the right time. Quite a few are still going strong on our television screens. The following is our Ultimate Berlanti Ranking, where we determine once and for all which Berlanti projects reign supreme.
13. Arrow
Years: 2012-20
Role: Creator/Producer/Writer

If you're looking for the show that began the great Greg Berlanti takeover of television, look no further. The CW had been in the business of DC superheroes since airing the final seasons of Smallville, but the ambition of what Berlanti built, beginning with Arrow, and the multiverse of ever-expending interconnected TV series, each with their own vibe and eccentricities, probably hasn't been given the praise it deserves.

WB, DC and CW films and TV shows on this list:
35. The Tomorrow People
30. All American
29. Titans
27. Vixen
26. Freedom Fighters: The Ray
24. Green Lantern
23. Stargirl
22. Supergirl
20. Young Americans
19. Batwoman
18. Black Lightning
14. Doom Patrol
13. Arrow
12. Dawson's Creek
9. The Flash
8. Katy Keene
7. Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
6. Riverdale
5. Jack & Bobby
4. Legends of Tomorrow
1. Everwood

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

Interesting that Laurel's death didn't make this list....

100 Most Shocking TV Deaths Ever
By Ryan Schwartz / September 13 2020
https://tvline.com/lists/shocking-tv-deaths/ 

Suffice it to say, the following list is comprised of TV deaths that weren’t just heartbreaking, but that truly took us by surprise — whether it was because we didn’t know a cast member was on their way out or because the cause of death was just that brutal (see: any number of Game of Thrones deaths). That does include characters who were eventually revived (hey there, TV magic!), but whose demises nonetheless rattled us.
TOMMY MERLYN, ARROW
CAUSE OF DEATH: Impaled on rebar during Glades explosion
THE EPISODE: “Sacrifice” (Season 1, Episode 23)
ORIGINAL AIRDATE: May 15, 2013
MOIRA QUEEN, ARROW
CAUSE OF DEATH: Stabbed in chest by Slade
THE EPISODE: “Seeing Red” (Season 2, Episode 20)
ORIGINAL AIRDATE: April 23, 2014
SARA LANCE, ARROW
CAUSE OF DEATH: Shot with an arrow by a drugged Thea
THE EPISODE: “The Calm” (Season 3, Episode 1)
ORIGINAL AIRDATE: October 8, 2014

All Arrowverse deaths on this list:
TOMMY MERLYN, ARROW
MOIRA QUEEN, ARROW
SARA LANCE, ARROW
LEONARD SNART, DC'S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW
MARTIN STEIN, DC'S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW
H.R. WELLS, THE FLASH

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

This podcast also included a lot of Arrow series finale talk...

Watchover Ep 83 - The Worst Series Finales

September 14, 2020
https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/watchover-with-jen-and-calli/e/77687577?autoplay=true

Our sympathies to The 100 fandom brought about this topic: what are some of the worst series finales and who hurt these showrunners? Also: we talk about the Arrow spinoff and why no one should hold their breath on it.

-- After watching what happened on The 100 (recently) and Veronica Mars (less recently), like Jen and Calli, I am grateful for Arrow's ending with the Olicity ship intact (although I still don't like that Oliver had to "die" in order to be redeemed, in contradiction to other redeemed former killers being allowed to live, like Sara and E2 Laurel). I also agree that too many TV showrunners and producers wrongly believe that their series must have "shocking" deaths and must avoid romantic ships (but not familial or platonic ships) in order to be edgy and not boring. These showrunners are just showing a lack of imagination and a disdain for their fans. Bottom line: Once a series ends, don't try to bring it back. Because if it comes back, a fan favorite character will inevitably die.

-- Jen and Calli still don't think that Oliver and Felicity are dead-dead, but are just living somewhere else in the universe (due to Oliver's Spectre power).

-- Like Jen, I don't think the two stars of Superman and Lois have chemistry, although I like the premise of that show. Calli commented that we learned during that show's DC FanDome panel that Clark won't be cheating on Lois with Lana. Jen is skeptical because it's a CW show.

-- Calli said that some Canary fans did this twitter campaign during DC FanDome, where they constantly tweeted WB and the CW, demanding Green Arrow & The Canaries. Calli also reported on a recent twitter argument between a KC fan and Canadagraphs (who thinks the spinoff is dead). If you're interested, you can read that twitter thread starting here.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I stumbled across this old 2014 article (new to me) and just had to post it (considering the source)...

16 TV Characters Who Should Be Arrested for Scene Stealing
Carissa Pavlica     February 25, 2014
https://www.tvfanatic.com/slideshows/16-tv-characters-who-should-be-arrested-for-scene-stealing/

Not every character can be a lead, but that doesn't mean every actor doesn't make every minute of their screen time count.

These characters have become fan favorites and seem to steal the scenes out from under the noses of their top billed coworkers. How do they do it? Skills and charisma, among other things. 
1. Emily Betts Rickard as Felicity on Arrow
Can you imagine Oliver Queen without Felicity? She's a figment of the TV show but fits so perfectly into the Arrow world that she's managed to outshine canon characters. That's a first rate scene burglar.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

This podcast also included a lot of Arrow series finale talk...

Watchover Ep 83 - The Worst Series Finales

September 14, 2020
https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/watchover-with-jen-and-calli/e/77687577?autoplay=true

-- After watching what happened on The 100 (recently) and Veronica Mars (less recently), like Jen and Calli, I am grateful for Arrow's ending with the Olicity ship intact (although I still don't like that Oliver had to "die" in order to be redeemed, in contradiction to other redeemed former killers being allowed to live, like Sara and E2 Laurel). I also agree that too many TV showrunners and producers wrongly believe that their series must have "shocking" deaths and must avoid romantic ships (but not familial or platonic ships) in order to be edgy and not boring. These showrunners are just showing a lack of imagination and a disdain for their fans. Bottom line: Once a series ends, don't try to bring it back. Because if it comes back, a fan favorite character will inevitably die.

-- Jen and Calli still don't think that Oliver and Felicity are dead-dead, but are just living somewhere else in the universe (due to Oliver's Spectre power).

-- Like Jen, I don't think the two stars of Superman and Lois have chemistry, although I like the premise of that show. Calli commented that we learned during that show's DC FanDome panel that Clark won't be cheating on Lois with Lana. Jen is skeptical because it's a CW show.

-- Calli said that some Canary fans did this twitter campaign during DC FanDome, where they constantly tweeted WB and the CW, demanding Green Arrow & The Canaries. Calli also reported on a recent twitter argument between a KC fan and Canadagraphs (who thinks the spinoff is dead). If you're interested, you can read that twitter thread starting here.

I know it doesn't matter at all in the grand scheme of things that have happened this year but I am grateful that A) Arrow finished before everything shut down and B) that the Big Shocks for the finale were people coming back to lift, not killing everybody off. There are also multiple ways they could have said "screw you" to Olicity fans and gone "oh it was an essential part of the story" BS but they went out of their way to give them a bittersweet but happy ending and bring EBR back for it. They made a lot of mistakes and wrote for plot more than characters but it could have been a lot worse. 

I agree that GAATC isn't happening as we saw it in January, we'd surely have heard *something* by now. I guess Canadagraphs could have some insider (2nd hand) that they might repackage it for next pilot season. I'm not sure why he'd think Mia would have to be recast if they still wanted the character unless there are rumours that KM has made it clear BTS that she's out of here (in the same way Katherine Newton did after Wayward Sisters failed). Unless he's just thinking she'll have found another job by then. I can see them trying with just the Canaries, especially if KC still has that deal with WB, but does it have enough power to go by itself after over a year-two years of being off screen?

I think it’s pretty clear that this was not the show KM was sold. I wonder if this pandemic gave her a way out. If it was delayed to a point where they had to resign, she may have made it clear she would not be on board. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Chaser said:

I think it’s pretty clear that this was not the show KM was sold. I wonder if this pandemic gave her a way out. If it was delayed to a point where they had to resign, she may have made it clear she would not be on board. 

Maybe. She definitely made it clear that this isn't the spin off project she wanted. KC wasn't happy either. Maybe that was part of the reason it didn't get picked up originally, the mish mash was very obvious BTS, as well as on screen? And KM's young enough that this is far from her last chance to be a lead (in theory anyway) whereas KC and JH don't have as many opportunities left being in their mid 30s (sigh Hollywood). And (my) general feeling that she'll be the last one out the door come hell or high water. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they do try and rebrand as a BOP show with or without the name if DC lets them.

I was just a little surprised that any of his rebranded/repackaged theoretical scenarios in a few months' time were clear that their new GA/KM would be absent as if he had heard something, but he didn't specify. I mean Mia and the chance to see William and FTA were the only reason I was interested in this at all but if they want to try a show with KC, JH and a new up and comer that's fine, it's just one I won't be watching and they'll get to test out if there really are 2 million KC/Canary fans just waiting for it.

And hey we won't have to watch them pull a lot of stuff about Felicity as a parent out of their asses to give Mia some angst/bonding with Laurel and Dinah when they can't think of anything else and they've run out of Oliver stuff. They can relax in peace. 

Naming as the 5 most important heroes just the leads of the 5 Arrowverse shows is taking the easy route. I also disagree with this writer's choice of the 5 least important (I can think of a lot of heroes who were less important than Ragman and Speedy)...

Arrowverse: The 5 Most Important Heroes (& The 5 Least Important)
BY DEREK FARACI   Sep. 16, 2020
https://www.cbr.com/arrowverse-most-vs-least-important-heroes-comparison/ 

10/10 Most Important: Green Arrow
The one who started it all, Oliver Queen led a life of luxury until he was shipwrecked on the island of Lian Yu where he had to learn to protect himself from powerful foes. When he returned to Starling City - later renamed Star City - Oliver Queen became first became the Hood, then the Arrow, and finally, Green Arrow. His work paved the way for more costumed heroes to stand up and fight against evil.

As the oldest and most experienced hero, Green Arrow was the one the other heroes went to for advice, even as he found himself standing amongst friends who could run faster than light or lift mountains without breaking a sweat. In the end, Oliver Queen gave his life to save the Multiverse, making him not only the father of the Arrowverse, but its patron saint as well.
7/10  Least Important: Ragman
With the mystical rags of the Devarim, Rory Reagan became the hero Ragman. Rory was the only survivor from the town of Havenrock, which was destroyed by a nuclear missile. He arrived in Star City looking to find out who was responsible for the destruction of his home, and soon joined Team Arrow. When Rory learned that Felicity Smoak was the one who redirected the nuclear missile to Havenrock, he forgave her. Not long after, Rory gave up the superhero life, choosing to help those in need in another way.
5/10  Least Important: Speedy
The younger sister of Oliver Queen, Thea Queen found herself embroiled in the world of superheroes, although she never felt comfortable being a part of it. Thea came to learn that her real father was Malcolm Merlyn, the villain known as Dark Archer, who trained her to become a skilled fighter and marksman.

Thea fell in love with Roy Harper, the man who would become Green Arrow's sidekick, Arsenal. When Arsenal left Star City, Thea took on his mantle, and while she wanted to be called Red Arrow, her brother decided her hero name should be Speedy, her childhood nickname. Thea worked as a hero for a time, but quit Team Arrow shortly after, realizing that the superhero life wasn't right for her.

10/10 Most Important: Green Arrow
9/10  Least Important: Killer Frost
8/10  Most Important: Flash
7/10  Least Important: Ragman
6/10 Most Important: Black Lightning
5/10  Least Important: Speedy
4/10  Most Important: Supergirl
3/10  Least Important: Hawkman
2/10  Most Important: Sara Lance
1/10  Least Important: Elongated Man

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I don't know how reliable this source is...

SCOOP: John Stewart Will Be the Justice League's Green Lantern
Written By Mikey Sutton   September 16, 2020
https://www.geekositymag.com/post/scoop-john-stewart-will-be-the-justice-league-s-green-lantern 

Quite honestly, Green Lantern, for all of its flaws, was engaging pop entertainment; if Greg Berlanti's original vision for it wasn't dismembered by WB (a repeating story), it probably would've succeeded. But Berlanti has a Green Lantern of his own for HBO Max. I recently scooped that Green Lantern is being planned to join the Justice League in a theatrical sequel. No, it won't be Reynolds, who isn't in the Snyder Cut, either; those rumors are bogus.

So who is it?

As I mentioned then, Green Lantern hasn't been cast yet. The only GL who has been selected is David Ramsey, whose John Diggle was revealed as John Stewart afters years of fan speculation and wishful thinking. Ramsey will appear as GL in the CW's upcoming Superman & Lois TV series, another Berlanti production. However, sources said that he might not be Stewart for HBO Max, apparently. (The latter remains a question mark if it will be tied in with the Arrowverse as Berlanti heads both.)
According to insiders, the Green Lantern being discussed for the new Justice League is Stewart, with Hal Jordan remaining on HBO Max for now. I had this revealed earlier, but here are additional details. 
Keeping in line with comic-book history, Stewart in the JL will be part of a Corps that'll include various aliens as well. WB is looking at the Justice League animated series from the early '00s as a model in which he'll be presented. In fact, it's the familiarity he created with the general public in the cartoon which made WB realize to utilize him for the DCEU instead of Jordan. Jordan will eventually debut in the DCEU, beyond HBO Max; in the meantime, it'll be Stewart's light to shine on the silver screen.

Edited by tv echo
6 hours ago, tv echo said:

The only GL who has been selected is David Ramsey, whose John Diggle was revealed as John Stewart afters years of fan speculation and wishful thinking. Ramsey will appear as GL in the CW's upcoming Superman & Lois TV series, another Berlanti production. However, sources said that he might not be Stewart for HBO Max, apparently.

givenow.gif

• Love 3

The Superman and Lois rumour has been going around since January, I really hope it's true and that COVID didn't force them to rethink any plans. 

With the HBO Max show, my only thinking is that they'd potentially want fresh new characters not ones from other shows like LOT (especially as it's a more well known property) and having John "Diggle" Stewart who's mourning dead brother Oliver wouldn't work for that, especially if it's not directly connected to the Arrowverse. Even in the finale they couldn't actually show the ring or the oath just the green light which suggests they were hedging their bets a bit. 

• Love 1

FYI...

HBO Max will takeover all of the DC Universe contents starting January 31 while DC Universe will become a Comic Book service.
By Al_Taransky - September 20, 2020
https://popgeeks.com/hbo-max-will-takeover-all-of-the-dc-universe-contents-starting-january-31-while-dc-universe-will-become-a-comic-book-service/ 

DC Universe was a Streaming Platform of Warner brothers that streams originals and DCEU movies. It aired quality original programs like Titans, Doom Squad, Stargirl, and Harley Quinn Animated series. Arrowverse shows from CW like the Flash, Supergirl, Arrow, Legends of tomorrow, and many more were also on the platform. Fans got saddened that DC Universe will end its tenure as a streaming platform. The domain name and the app won’t go to waste. The service will become a digital comics library subscription. The new service will be called DC Universe Infinite. Starting January 31 of Next year, You can read unlimited comics for the price of $7.99 a month or $74.99 a year with DC Universe Infinite. There are over 24000 comic books that can be read on this platform in digital form.

HBO Max will be the new home of all the DCEU and DC Universe Originals. The fans who want to continue watching the DC Universe shows can now watch them at HBO Max for the price of $14.99 per month. One of the first DC titles to be available on HBO max will be the 3rd Season of the critically praised Harley Quinn animated series. The Transfer of DC properties to HBO Max is an attempt to rival Disney Plus. HBO max can also provide more diverse content aside from Superhero related media. DC Universe is too limited when it comes to content variety. There are also complaints about lags and bugs while streaming videos. HBO max is more stable when it comes to speed and picture quality.

The repackaging of DC Universe into a digital library is an attempt to save the comics industry in the middle of this pandemic.Sales of comic books had been all-time low since the Pandemic started. Many comic-book stores closed down because most people are in lockdown and quarantine.

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Arrowverse shows from CW like the Flash, Supergirl, Arrow, Legends of tomorrow, and many more were also on the platform.

They don’t have their facts quite straight; those shows were never on DC Universe (likely because they’re still on Netflix).

Edited by Starfish35

All 12 Characters Who Wore Green Arrow's Suit (Besides Oliver Queen)
BY NICHOLAS RAYMOND     SEPTEMBER 22, 2020
https://screenrant.com/green-arrow-suit-costume-characters-not-oliver-queen/ 

Over the years, a number of heroes and villains have borrowed the costumes, weapons, and titles that belonged to Oliver Queen. This includes his Hood, Arrow, and Green Arrow identities. Some were impersonators looking to help (or hurt) or Oliver, while others used the suit for completely different reasons.

Ra’s Al Ghul
In Arrow season 3, Ra’as al Ghul (Matt Nable) was so impressed with Oliver Queen and the fact that he survived their duel that he arranged for Oliver to marry Nyssa (Katrina Law), and he picked him to be the new leader of the League of Assassins. However, Oliver wasn’t interested in being the Heir to the Demon. To force Oliver in submitting to him, Ra’s al Ghul wore the Arrow suit and killed a group of gangsters. His actions helped turn Starling City and the police against Oliver.

Maseo Yamashiro
Ra’s as Ghul posing as the Arrow was just one phase in his plan. The next step was for Oliver’s former friend and League member Maseo Yamashiro (Karl Yune) to don the suit. As the Arrow, Maseo continued the killing spree begun by Ra’s al Ghul and put Oliver on a collision course with the Atom (Brandon Routh).
Citizen Steel
In a Legends of Tomorrow season 4 episode, the Legends dressed up as other Arrowverse heroes at a superhero theme park. Sara Lance (Caity Lotz) wore Supergirl’s outfit, while Citizen Steel (Nick Zano) wore a costume identical to Green Arrow’s.

Ra’s Al Ghul
Maseo Yamashiro
Roy Harper
Malcolm Merlyn
Robert Queen (Earth-2)
Adrian Chase (Earth-2)
Christopher Chance
John Diggle
Citizen Steel
Barry Allen
Emiko Queen
Mia Smoak

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Eh - I don't agree with Arrow's low ranking (also, this list is out-of-date, considering HBO's Watchmen series isn't on it, even though Watchmen currently has an IMDb rating of 8.1 and just won an Emmy for Outstanding Limited Series, plus two acting Emmys)...

10 Best Live Action Superhero Television Shows Ranked By IMDb
BY ALEXANDRA STONE  SEPTEMBER 23, 2020
https://screenrant.com/live-action-superhero-tv-series-best-imdb/ 

Superheroes are everywhere from blockbuster films to great TV series. It's tough to pick the best of those shows but the ratings on IMDb might help.
10/10 Arrow - 7.5
Oliver Queen lived a spoiled life in the lap of luxury until he became lost at sea on his father's yacht. Missing for five years, Oliver returns home a changed man determined to clean up the city as a hooded hero, armed with a bow and arrow.

First premiering on the CW in 2012, Arrow stars Stephen Amell as the classic DC hero, the Green Arrow. In 2019, the network announced that its eighth season would be the last but it did spark an entire Arrowverse of shows.

10/10 Arrow - 7.5
9/10  The Flash – 7.7
8/10  Titans – 7.7
7/10  Gotham – 7.8
6/10  Jessica Jones – 7.9
5/10  Misfits – 8.2
4/10  Legion – 8.3
3/10  The Punisher – 8.5
2/10  Daredevil – 8.6
1/10  The Boys – 8.7

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

This is interesting - the 1990 Flash tv series originally was supposed to be a superhero ensemble show titled Unlimited Powers ,and this ensemble would have included Green Arrow and Green Arrow's teenage daughter(!)...

The Flash: The Secret Origin of the Original TV Series
By Mike Cecchini   September 22, 2020
https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-flash-the-secret-origin-of-the-original-tv-series/ 

Ah, but this isn’t Grant Gustin and Team Flash from the CW’s The Flash. No, this is The Flash TV series from 1990, the one starring John Wesley Shipp and boasting a theme song by none other than superhero movie maestro Danny Elfman.
In honor of the show’s 30th anniversary, this is the story of how the 1990 The Flash TV series came to be and its brief, bright run.
The Flash began life as a pitch for a different show entirely. The men who would eventually steer Barry Allen’s network TV destiny, Danny Bilson and Paul De Meo had made a name for themselves in genre circles with their work on films like Zone Troopers and cult classic Trancers, and as big comic book fans, were looking to bring superheroes to the screen. And in 1989, they wrote a feature length pilot script for a series called Unlimited Powers.

But Unlimited Powers wasn’t a Flash show, and instead dealt with an entire team of superheroes. While Barry Allen was a key character, he would have been joined by other DC Comics heroes including Green Arrow, Doctor Occult (a minor creation from Superman creators Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster), Blok (of Legion of Super-Heroes fame), Wally West, and Oliver Queen’s teenage daughter (three decades before a similar character would become a fixture on Arrow).
And while Tina was a fixture from the pilot, there was the little matter of another character, Barry’s longtime comics love interest and wife, Iris West. Iris was played by Paula Marshall in the pilot episode, and never seen again on the show.

“We realized we wrote ourselves into a corner, and it would be much more interesting if he was single, and then we could do the Moonlighting thing with Tina and bring women in and out of the show,” Bilson says. 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

This is an interesting article. Although I only quoted paragraphs containing Olicity and Green Arrow mentions, the rest of this article is worth reading...

Why Batman Is a Terrible Superhero (Or, Why Our Present Social Crises Demand a Different Class of Hero)
Daniel Whyte IV     Sep. 28, 2020
https://www.tor.com/2020/09/28/why-batman-is-a-terrible-superhero-or-why-our-present-social-crises-demand-a-different-class-of-hero/ 

Despite this, there is a cult-like dedication to the superhero genre. Hundreds of millions have flocked to theaters, resulting in three of Marvel’s Avengers movies being in the top-ten highest-grossing films of all time. Every year—well, every year except the current one—tens of thousands make pilgrimages to comic book conventions dressed up as the demigods and vigilantes they most admire—and, often, as the villains they’ve come to love too. Fans become emotionally invested in TV series featuring characters who have power and latitude beyond anything we’d dare hope to obtain in our own lives. (I know Arrow is over, but I’ve stanned Olicity since day one and grew increasingly frustrated when the show insisted on using every occasion possible to drive Oliver and Felicity apart. And you will never not find me talking about Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., my heart and home among all comic book television adaptations.)
Iron Man, Captain America, the Green Arrow, Supergirl. They’re all symbols, somewhat incorruptible (at least to us) and everlasting in the way that good characters are. They represent something we can aspire to but can’t achieve. Maybe such symbols are not what we need right now; maybe we need to see our heroes doing things that we can see ourselves doing. Science has proven that observational learning—learning by watching others, even on TV—can change the way we behave. According to psychiatrist Steven Gans, we are more likely to imitate people we admire, people in authoritative positions, and people we perceive as personable and warm. Superheroes, for instance.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2

Olicity's first kiss...

This Week in TV History: Glee Mourns a Loss, General Hospital's 'Seduction,' Beverly Hills 90210 Debuts and More
By Matt Webb Mitovich / October 4 2020
https://tvline.com/lists/this-week-in-tv-history-on-this-date-series-premieres-memorable-moments/ 

October 8
Though titled “The Calm,” the Oct. 8, 2014 episode of The CW’s Arrow (aka the Season 3 premiere) left fans in quite a tizzy. Nudged by Diggle to seize the titular calm moment in Star City and make time for his own someone special, Oliver asked Felicity (multiple times) out on a date, where they would later acknowledge they had already through their adventures talked through all the usual small talk (and seen Oliver shirtless). And though that cozy dinner got cut short by a rocket launched by Count Vertigo, Oliver would later make clear to a frustrated Felicity — in the clip embedded above — that she best not dare suggest he doesn’t love her. Which he then sealed with the couple’s first kiss.

Edited by tv echo

10 Most Hilarious Felicity Smoak Memes Of All Time
BY ANDY BEHBAKHT    OCTOBER 6, 2020
https://screenrant.com/arrowverse-felicity-smoak-funniest-memes/ 

While Arrow introduced a lot of beloved DC characters, a minor one that ended up having a surprising reception was Felicity Smoak. While she is a small character in the Firestorm mythology, the Arrowverse version reimagined her to become a major Team Arrow member who ended up becoming Oliver Queen’s wife. The character was originally only supposed to be a guest player for an episode or two, but after seeing Felicity in action, the creators decided to give her a bigger part. For 7 seasons, Felicity was the team’s IT-master who has gone through a lot of different experiences.

Even though she didn’t return for most of the final season, Felicity and Oliver did get a happy-ish ending in the series finale. Whether or not fans will see her again in any of the other shows remain to be seen. Throughout the years, Felicity garnered a massive fanbase who have found ways to celebrate the character through memes and fan-art.

10/10 An Army, A Hulk & A Hacker
Felicity-Smoak-Meme-1.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&

However, when someone has a powerful no-nonsense hacker like Felicity, what would the outcome be? If Felicity is just kept away at a safe location, she could probably hack herself into a victory against armies as well as The Hulk.
5/10  Those Awkward Season 1 Talks
Felicity-Smoak-Meme-7.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&

The Oliver and Felicity relationship had a very funny origin story as the playboy billionaire came up with weak lies to get her help. It’s a wonder that Felicity kept a straight face for as long as she did, given how terrible Oliver’s lies were in keeping his vigilante gig a secret.

However, something that was always a blast to watch was whenever they had those awkward conversations over coms. This meme has probably Felicity’s best awkward line to Oliver ever.
1/10  That Special Fern (10)
Felicity-Smoak-Meme-10.jpg?q=50&fit=crop

Anyone who is in the Olicity fandom knows the meaning behind the fern that became iconic for the couple. Hopefully, they have one together in the Afterlife now that Oliver and Felicity are no longer in the land of the living.

10/10 An Army, A Hulk & A Hacker
9/10  Anytime Oliver Gets Jealous
8/10  Team Arrow In A Nutshell
7/10  Diggle The Ultimate Olicity Shipper
6/10  DC’s Ultimate Hacker
5/10  Those Awkward Season 1 Talks
4/10  How Felicity Substituted For Batman
3/10  How Felicity Should Have Bothered Oliver
2/10  The Season 4 Fear
1/10  That Special Fern (10)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Throwback Thursday: ‘Chicago Fire’, ‘American Horror Story’, ‘Arrow’, and ‘Gilmore Girls’
October 8, 2020    Mary Misasi
https://telltaletv.com/2020/10/throwback-thursday-chicago-fire-american-horror-story-arrow-and-gilmore-girls/ 

My oh my, what a week of throwbacks! This week on our Throwback Thursday we are looking at the dates October 4th through October 10th.

We are talking big-name shows such as Gilmore Girls, American Horror Story, Chicago Fire, and Beverly Hills 90210. There are even a few superhero dramas to premiere this week — The Flash, Batwoman, and Arrow
Here are a few TV shows that premiered this week in TV History:
2012 – Arrow

Edited by tv echo

The last words of every fallen Arrowverse hero
BY MICHILEEN MARTIN  OCT. 12, 2020 
https://www.looper.com/260051/the-last-words-of-every-fallen-arrowverse-hero/ 

Laurel Lance needs the Canaries to carry on
Laurel Lance (Kate Cassidy) doesn't start off as one of the members of Team Arrow. In the beginning of Arrow she's Oliver Queen's ex-lover who learned of his affair with her younger sister when both were presumed dead after the sinking of Queen's Gambit. Oliver comes back home and Laurel eventually learns of his crimefighting alter ego. Not long after the death of her sister, Laurel becomes part of Team Arrow as Black Canary. While Laurel and the rest of Team Arrow try to stop the mystical villain Damien Darhk (Neal McDonough) from escaping prison, Darhk stabs Laurel with one of Oliver's arrows. In season 4's "Eleven-Fifty-Nine," Laurel comes out of surgery and at first seems to be fine, but dies in her hospital bed.

Shortly before seizing from an embolism, Laurel tells Oliver, "I know that I am not the love of your life, but you will always be the love of mine." He asks her why she's saying this and she answers, "Because tonight, it was just a reminder that anything can happen, which is why I need you to promise me something." We never actually hear Laurel's last words, but after her death Oliver tells Team Arrow that Laurel asked him to make sure she wouldn't be the last Canary of Star City. 

While Kate Cassidy eventually returns to Arrow, and her new character's name is Laurel Lance, it would eventually prove to be the Laurel of Earth-2.
Green Arrow tells his friends to keep going
No hero in Crisis on Infinite Earths has a rougher time than Oliver Queen. At the end of the first chapter, he dies in a last stand against the Anti-Monitor's armies. He's resurrected in body, but not soul, in a Lazarus Pit — then killed again when the antimatter wave wipes out him along with the rest of the original multiverse. 

And he still has one final death to suffer. In Purgatory, Queen is recruited by Jim Corrigan (Stephen Lobo) to be the new host for the Spectre — a powerful being who, in DC's comics, is literally the wrath of God. He uses his new powers to help Flash escape the Speed Force, and eventually to fight his final battle. As the Spectre, he's able to go toe-to-toe with the Anti-Monitor and help create the new multiverse. Sadly, he doesn't survive the battle for long. Dying, he tells Barry and Sara (Caity Lotz) that he's at peace, and that the new multiverse will need them. "So keep going," Oliver says. "Don't ever stop. This world, this new world, it needs both of you."

That isn't exactly the last thing we hear from Oliver. In the afterlife, reunited with Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards), he remembers the first time he saw her. She asks about it and he assures her it's a long story but adds, "Lucky for us, we have all the time in the world for me to tell it to you."

Martin Stein lived the adventure of a lifetime
There are no strings on Leonard Snart
The Flash of Earth-90 rides the lightning for the last time
Malcolm Merlyn shows Digger what he means
Amanda Waller sticks to her guns
Gypsy said goodbye to Cisco years before her death
Robin's last words, as usual, are holy
Red Daughter understands the truth before the end
Nora West-Allen accepts the consequences
Laurel Lance needs the Canaries to carry on
The Batman of Earth-99 sees no hope
Zoe Ramirez's last words are for her father
The Birds of Prey of Earth-203 die without answers
Quentin Lance is thankful at the end
Ronnie Raymond had to try
Rip Hunter wants to see his family
Green Arrow tells his friends to keep going

ETA: This article is incorrect in that we do actually get to hear Laurel's last words. In fact, there were two versions of her last words. One version was the flashback scene that was shown as part of Arrow's Season 5 trailer at SDCC, but it never aired in any episode (Laurel: "Your instinct is always trying to go it alone. But Ollie, you can't."). The other version was the flashback scene that actually aired in 5x01 (Laurel: "Please... please don't let me be the last Canary. That way, a part of me will always be out there with you.").

Edited by tv echo

21 Plot Twists So Ridiculously Unbelievable They Ruined People's Favorite Shows
by Kristen Harris    October 15, 2020
https://www.buzzfeed.com/kristenharris1/plot-twists-ruined-tv-shows

4. Oliver's secret son on Arrow.
sub-buzz-906-1602195591-24.jpg?downsize=

"I gave up on Arrow after Oliver found out he had a son and then decided to hide it from his fiancé. I hate secret child plot twists, they never end well."

—rachell11

Edited by tv echo

Arrowverse: 5 Ways Barry Allen Is The Best Character (& 5 It’s Oliver Queen)
BY EVI LODGE    OCTOBER 15, 2020
https://screenrant.com/arrowverse-barry-allen-oliver-queen-best-character/ 

9/10  Oliver: He Sacrificed Everything For The People He Loves
Oliver Queen goes through way too much on Arrow, from being stranded on Lian Yu to consistently losing people while also putting others in danger. Yet, despite all that he literally sacrifices everything to save the city and his friends and family.

In the Crisis On Infinite Earths' cross-over, Oliver dies which has repercussions across the Arrowverse. It's tragic since he's such a key part of the Arrowverse, but it's still a fitting end for his character after everything that he has been through.
3/10  Oliver: He Loves Felicity
Oliver and Felicity are the best couple in the Arrowverse. The build-up to their relationship was so cute, and once they got married it was even better.

It's clear from the beginning that Oliver deeply cares about Felicity and their chemistry is great. The fact that she helps him with missions and that he really needs her is a cool aspect of his character and their relationship.

10/10 Barry: He Has A Sense Of Humour
9/10  Oliver: He Sacrificed Everything For The People He Loves
8/10  Barry: He Always Puts Others First
7/10  Oliver: He Doesn't Give Up
6/10  Barry: He's Goofy
5/10   Oliver: He's Not Perfect
4/10  Barry: He Doesn't Give Up
3/10  Oliver: He Loves Felicity
2/10  Barry: He's An Optimist
1/10  Oliver: He Redeems Himself

Edited by tv echo

Peter Roth is famous in the Arrow fandom for taking notice of EBR ("I love the blonde computer girl") in her game-changing debut as Felicity Smoak in 1x03 - so it's sad to see him go...

Peter Roth To Step Down As Warner Bros. TV Group Chairman After 22 Years At The Helm Of the TV Studio
By Nellie Andreeva   October 16, 2020
https://deadline.com/2020/10/peter-roth-step-down-warner-bros-tv-group-chairman-exit-tv-studio-22-yeats-greg-berlanti-the-big-bang-theory-the-west-wing-the-flash-chuck-lorre-channing-dungey-1234598805/ 

It’s an end of an era at Warner Bros. as Peter Roth, one of the most accomplished TV executives of the past couple of decades, will be leaving the independent television studio in early 2021 after 22 years.

Roth was upped to his current role as Chairman of the Warner Bros. Television Group in February when he signed a one-year extension to his most recent contract which was up in summer 2020. That was envisioned as the final chapter in Roth’s Warner Bros. TV tenure, whose course was changed dramatically when, a month after Roth re-upped his deal, the coronavirus pandemic hit, halting production and all other essential Hollywood activities, like in-person meetings, lunches, premieres and press junkets.
Also getting a course correction was Warner Bros. TV’s leadership succession plan. Roth’s top lieutenant and heir apparent, WBTV President Susan Rovner, surprisingly left the studio after 22 years to become Chairman, Entertainment Content for NBCUniversal’s TV & streaming unit. Former ABC Entertainment President Channing Dungey, who exited her Netflix post last week, is expected to replace Rovner as Roth’s successor.

In announcing Roth’s pending departure, Ann Sarnoff, Chair and CEO, WarnerMedia Studios and Networks Group, spoke about how the timing of it came about.

“Peter and I have been meeting for some time about this, and while there’s never a great moment to say goodbye, he felt that this was the right time to transition in a new leader for the group,” Sarnoff said. “He’s delivered hundreds of shows, thousands of episodes and millions of viewers, with one singular vision – to work with the best people and to make the best television series. In addition to being well respected by his colleagues and competitors, actors, writers, directors and producers, he is the force behind iconic, pop-culture-defining television shows we all know and love, including The West Wing, The Big Bang Theory, Gilmore Girls, Two And A Half Men, Gossip Girl, Supernatural, The Flash and countless others. We’re thankful for his contributions to our company and wish him the very best.”

Roth is known for his close ties with talent (and his hugs in greeting people pre-COVID). A number of bets he made on creators have had a huge payoff for the studio.
Roth was determined to woo Berlanti back, and he did. Since Berlanti came back to WBTV, he became the most prolific producer in television, breaking multiple times the all-time record for most series on television at the same time. Berlanti also built an expansive DC universe that spans linear TV and streaming. When the arm-race for talent hit in 2018, with Netflix poaching TV’s top creators with massive overall deals, Roth stepped in to keep Berlanti and was instrumental in re-signing the showrunner in a mega pact.
Roth joined the company in March 1999 as President, Warner Bros. Television. As he kept climbing the corporate ladder, he remained hands-on involved in the creative process. During his more than two decades atop the studio’s television production business, 32 scripted primetime series reached the 100-episode milestone. Among them: The Big Bang Theory (279 episodes, the longest-running multicamera comedy in the history of television), Two and a Half Men, The West Wing, Gilmore Girls, Smallville, Gossip Girl, Shameless, Nip/Tuck, The Mentalist, Pretty Little Liars, Arrow, Mom, The Closer, Fringe, The Middle, George Lopez, The Flash, Mike & Molly, Person of Interest, Supernatural, Third Watch, The Vampire Diaries and One Tree Hill. 

Edited by tv echo

Arrow: How Oliver Queen Can Return In The Arrowverse's Future
BY MATT MORRISON   OCTOBER 16, 2020
https://screenrant.com/arrow-oliver-queen-stephen-amell-future-return-how/ 

An Arrow Revival
The possibility of an Arrow revival on the same scale as the Dexter revival seems unlikely. Ignoring that it hasn't been a year since Arrow came to a close, there is a reason why fans have been demanding the return of Dexter, even if only in the form of a movie or limited series. To put it mildly, most of the Dexter fandom hated the show's finale, which has gone down in history as one of the worst series finales ever due to how it failed to provide any sense of closure to its ensemble. By contrast, the final episode of Arrow was generally well-received and brought the story of most of its cast to a definitive close with little chance of a continuation.

Ironically, most of those characters whose stories were left with an open ending in Arrow's finale were purposely being set up for continuing roles elsewhere in the Arrowverse. Perhaps the best example of this was John Diggle, .... This, coupled with earlier hints dropped throughout Arrow's run, fueled speculation that Diggle might show up in Superman and Lois as a Green Lantern or that David Ramsey would go on to be part of the cast of the upcoming HBO Max Green Lantern series.

Another point of consideration is Green Arrow and the Canaries, the Arrow spin-off series set up by Arrow's penultimate episode. ... Unfortunately, despite the pilot episode receiving high ratings, The CW has yet to move forward on starting production on Green Arrow and the Canaries. As such, it seems unlikely the network would consider an Arrow revival at this time, when there's apparently reason to doubt the success of an Arrow spin-off.

Flashbacks/Visions
A far easier way of bringing Stephen Amell back as Oliver Queen is through flashback sequences and visions. ... The only problem with this idea is that it offers too much complication for too little gain and would not be the best possible use of Oliver Queen as a character, given everything he sacrificed to earn his place in paradise during Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Oliver Queen Of Stargirl's Earth-2
One interesting possibility lies in the series Stargirl, where Stephen Amell could play a different take on Oliver Queen. It was revealed in the episode "Brainwave" that Green Arrow and Speedy were part of an Earth-2 superhero team called the Seven Soldiers of Victory, along with Sylvester Pemberton and Pat Dugan back when they were the Star-Spangled Kid and Stripsey. While this Green Arrow and Speedy were never identified as Oliver Queen and Roy Harper, they wore the classic Golden Age costumes associated with those versions of Green Arrow and Speedy. As such, it would be a fun Easter egg to have Stephen Amell play that version of Green Arrow as well.

A Green Arrow From The Past Joins The Legends Of Tomorrow
Another possibility is that the Legends of Tomorrow could recruit a version of Oliver Queen who hadn't died yet. ... The biggest challenge here would be in coming up with a good reason for Oliver Queen to agree to a long-term trip with the Legends, as Oliver was notorious for hating dealing with things outside his comfort zone, like time travel and aliens. ...

Oliver Queen Gets Resurrected (In A Crossover Event)
If Oliver Queen were to come back from the dead for an extended period or an actual Arrow revival at some point in the future, it would almost certainly have to be as part of a major crossover event. Simply speaking, Oliver Queen's sacrifice as the Spectre to give birth to a new multiverse was too big a moment to diminish by bringing him back for anything less than an equally large disaster. There is a precedent in the comics, however, as Oliver Queen once walked out of the afterlife to save the life of his son, Connor Hawke, when nobody else was there to save the day. It's easy to see the Arrowverse version of Green Arrow making a similar return as part of a future Green Arrow and the Canaries storyline, given everything Oliver Queen gave up to ensure his daughter's future.

Edited by tv echo

Arrow: 5 Times We Felt Bad For Oliver Queen (& 5 Times We Hated Him)
BY ANDY BEHBAKHT  OCTOBER 18, 2020
https://screenrant.com/arrow-times-felt-bad-hated-oliver-queen/ 

9/10  Hated Oliver: Cheating On Laurel With Her Sister
While Black Canary and Green Arrow are a power couple in the comics, The CW version never went in that direction. While Laurel Lance and Oliver did have a romance back in the days, the playboy billionaire naturally screwed it up.

Even though Oliver was stuck in hell for 5 years, it doesn't change the fact that he literally cheated on Laurel with none other than her little sister. The pain that it caused Laurel just makes Oliver the worst boyfriend ever.
5/10  Hated Oliver: Hiding William's Existence From Felicity
It's a miracle that Oliver and Felicity Smoak somehow ended up together because the amount of secret-keeping between those two was exhausting. One of those times was when Oliver discovered that he had a son in Central City.

But Oliver is only allowed to see William regularly if he doesn't tell anyone about his existence, even girlfriend. The fact that Oliver didn't think Felicity could keep it a secret was one of his worst moments of all time.
1/10  Hated Oliver: Hooking Up With Sara... Again
After Oliver had returned to Star City to become the Emerald Archer, it took only a season for Sara to eventually return home too, as The Canary. But as the two struggled with being in each other's lives again, they, unfortunately, overcame it.

By the second half of season 2, Oliver and Sara were once again hooking up. Despite the fact that this is what caused Laurel all that pain, to begin with, Oliver and Sara were just that selfish.

10/10 Felt Bad For Oliver: Seeing His Mother Murdered
9/10  Hated Oliver: Cheating On Laurel With Her Sister
8/10  Felt Bad For Oliver: Watching Lian Yu Blow Up
7/10  Hated Oliver: Shooting An Arrow At Roy's Knee
6/10  Felt Bad For Oliver: Losing Tommy
5/10  Hated Oliver: Hiding William's Existence From Felicity
4/10  Felt Bad For Oliver: Finding Thea Almost Close To Death
3/10  Hated Oliver: Not Telling Barry & Kara About The Deal
2/10  Felt Bad For Oliver: Having To Die Twice In One Crossover
1/10  Hated Oliver: Hooking Up With Sara... Again

Edited by tv echo

Halloween Countdown: Scariest Villains on TV
RAQUEL   OCTOBER 20, 2020
https://fangirlish.com/2020/10/20/scariest-villains-in-tv/

Adrian Chase ~ ‘Arrow’
Everyone who knows me knows that I love Arrow. Adrian Chase had to be on this list.  Another psychopath who believes that revenge for the death of his father at the hands of Oliver justifies his means to break him. He wants Oliver to lose absolutely everything and be destroyed, as destroyed as he feels. Chase managed to put Oliver through unimaginable pain and made him face his worst demons and the ugliest truths about himself.
Slade ~ ‘Arrow’
I’m aware that it is the second time that an Arrow villain appears on this list, but it could not be otherwise. Slade is remembered as one of the best villains in the series. He was the first to truly push Oliver to the limit and he attacked all the people Oliver truly loved. He was the first that made Oliver confront the ghosts of the past (Slade himself was one of them) and his own guilt for everything he had lived through.  And he did it in the most violent and heartbreaking way possible.

Edited by tv echo