Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, lemotomato said:

A poster retrospective. Personally I like season 2's the most and season 7 the least. 

1171770680_season1.JPG.6e31feee98064f84e4e5124877243489.JPG74089942_season2.JPG.c90561e89d8bab7db448b56ad14cf688.JPG242345005_season3.JPG.b1fb3421579dc249da0a00fd4254d11d.JPG1598643164_season4.JPG.ff03264bc56eba8dc3390058d6771fe1.JPG46724067_season5.JPG.cf609802b674ca62f546024f5c2dbed9.JPG512758067_season6.JPG.fe0ecc398e4977703cfdc2624d5dd99c.JPG862481229_season7.JPG.bcd8a57423e5899913772ee696e07e45.JPG755737277_season8.JPG.735e8700b9ca342e21ea29d863f5ec86.JPG

Okay, yeah; with them all together I can see why the latest one seems off to me. The background image and color scheme don't really fit Arrow's aesthetic.

• Love 1

Cool/dark/green was the color scheme. The warm orange isn't bad, but it is a departure from the previous posters.

I think I like the one where the buildings make a star in the negative space the best.

Fall TV Predictions: NCIS 'Reunion,' This Is Us Tyke Twist, HTGAWM Deaths, Three Freshman Fates and More
By Team TVLine / September 19 2019
https://tvline.com/2019/09/19/fall-tv-predictions-2019-ncis-ziva-tony-reunion/

It’s time once again for the TVLine staff to share its predictions for the upcoming TV season, where last time around we walked away with a 33 percent success rate.
REMINDER: These are predictions, not outright spoilers. Pitchforks down!

https://tvline.com/gallery/fall-tv-predictions-2019-photos/the-walking-dead-michonne-fall-tv-predictions/

ARROW
PREDICTION
: The CW will order a spinoff centered around Team Arrow 2.0 in the year 2040 before the mothership show signs off early next year.

Edited by tv echo

You know what I thought of when I saw that Arrow Season 8 poster?

Last year I watched this DVD set of an old British TV series titled Robin of Sherwood (starring Michael Praed). It was really, really good (big thumbs up!). But the last episode had this iconic scene, where

Spoiler

Robin Hood stands on a hill at twilight and shoots his last arrow into the sky and then turns his back, right before his position is overrun by the Sheriff's men. You never see his death, but it's heavily implied and then later confirmed by Marian.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I guess Batwoman really is like Arrow's replacement in the Arrowverse...

Batwoman Season 1, Episode 1: "Pilot" Premiere Review
By Jesse Schedeen Updated: 30 Jul 2019 Posted: 18 Jul 2019
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/07/18/batwoman-season-1-episode-1-pilot-premiere-review 

... For the most part, these characters tend to fall into familiar Arrowverse molds. Luke Fox (Camrus Johnson) is very much the Felicity Smoak/Cisco Ramon/Winn Schott of the series - the obligatory geeky, wisecracking tech genius. Kate's father Jacob (Dougray Scott) is more or less the Quentin Lance of the show - the law and order-obsessed, vigilante-opposed counterpoint to the main hero. Kate's stepmother Catherine (Elizabeth Anweis) is the mysterious, powerful parent with a shady past a la Moira Queen. And finally, Kate's stepsister Mary (Nicole Kang) is the Thea to her Oliver - a spoiled socialite with the potential to become something more.
Not since Arrow Season 1 has a series drawn so much obvious stylistic inspiration from Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy This Gotham City is cut from the same cloth - less stylized, Gothic wonderland and more decaying urban metropolis. In fact, portions of the episode were filmed in Chicago (which helps prevent Gotham from simply looking like a more dimly lit version of Star City and Central City). Certain key scenes even play like direct homages to The Dark Knight. Batwoman also borrows from that franchise in terms of its fight scenes, which tend to be shorter and more brutal than the heavily staged battles on Arrow.

Edited by tv echo

Mod Note: Please remember to keep this topic for news and media about the show, without (1) reference to any future episode or storyline, and (2) without discussion of same. Several recent posts made here have been moved to the Season 8 Spoiler Discussion topic. Thank you!

• Love 1

Interview with Sarah Schecter, who's an EP on Arrow and other Berlanti shows, and who is now president of Berlanti Productions...

Sarah Schechter:  The Super-Producer Behind All Those Superheroes
Jacqueline Cutler   October 04, 2019
https://www.mediavillage.com/article/sarah-schechter-the-super-producer-behind-all-those-superheroes/ 

This month several of super-producer Sarah Schechter’s shows premiere, while others return or continue.  Consider how unusual it is to be able to say “several of her shows,” then consider the range of her portfolio and Schechter’s work becomes even more compelling.  On The CW alone, Schechter -- president of Berlanti Productions -- has Batwoman, DC Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, Riverdale, Black Lightning, The Flash, Arrow, All American  and (at midseason) Katy Keene.  In addition, she has Doom Patrol  and Titans on DC Universe, Prodigal Son on Fox, Blindspot on NBC, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina  and You on Netflix and God Friended Me on CBS.  (This list excludes shows that are currently in development.)  As executive producer of all of the above, Schechter oversees details from "the design of a car on a napkin” to "the blood splat on the wall” to the tone of a show.  “Sometimes the only person working on something longer is the writer, and sometimes not even then,” she recently told MediaVillage during an exclusive interview.

It’s no coincidence that Schechter’s series spotlight smart, fearless women and tell complex stories representing all people.  "I do think diversity is a strength and representation matters," she explained.  "I don't live in a world that is all straight people or all white people.  It seems crazy that television wouldn't reflect the world we live in."
“I started PA-ing at 18 on indies in New York,” she recalled.  “I became very interested in why terrible movies were getting made.  I thought I wanted to direct.  It was the only job I understood.”

She began her career working for Oscar-winning documentarian Barbara Kopple on Woodstock ’94.  “I love documentaries,” Schechter said.  “It’s a really tough life.  If you are not independently wealthy, I don’t know how you can do it.”  She also worked as a production assistant with Judd Apatow, eventually advancing to an executive position.  “He would keep going back to the script,” she noted.

Schechter gives much credit to the men who served as her mentors, especially the profoundly prolific Greg Berlanti.  Five years ago, after nine years as an executive at Warner Bros. films, Schechter was named president of Berlanti Productions, overseeing film and television.

Whether the stories in Berlanti Productions shows reflect adults questioning the existence of God, teenagers grappling with their futures or superheroes defending cities (or entire planets), the tone is never one of condescension or snark.  Even when characters with capes and amazing powers zoom about, a realism pervades.

“I need hope and truth,” Schechter said.  As an example, she explains why Riverdale is inherently different from the vintage Archie comics; Betty and Veronica do not fritter away time pining over the iconic red-headed boy who has touched both their hearts.  “It was very important to me that Betty and Veronica don’t fight over a man,” she noted.  “I have no time for that.”
“What’s exciting is getting to work on so much,” she said.  “I try to read over each script.”  As Schechter considers what her job entails, she added, “Producers don’t lose faith when everyone else does.”  She also doesn’t dwell on the negative; she doesn't waste time fighting with people or trying to decode what others are thinking.

Happily, Schechter takes pride in what she has accomplished.  “When I see little girls think they can be superheroes instead of date them, it’s all really worth it,” she said.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

5 Things We Want To See in Season 8 of ‘Arrow’
RAQUEL   OCTOBER 8, 2019
https://fangirlish.com/5-things-we-want-to-see-season-8/

FELICITY’S RETURN
It is obvious that this was going to be our first hope and what we most want to happen in season 8. Felicity Smoak is an integral part of Arrow. So much so, that even the protagonists themselves have recognized that the show as we know it basically ended with her departure. But all the characters that were once important in the show are returning, so it’s not silly to think that Felicity could be one of them.

It may only be for the final episode … but it is clear that the producers and actors want her return to give a better closure to both the character, and the story. I think Emily is also willing to figure out her agenda. And, honestly, fans are dreaming that one day they will confirm her participation in the last season.

There is no doubt that her departure from the show was a blow to the fans and the audience … but her return can be the good news we’ve all been waiting for.
HISTORY FOCUSED ON OTA AND NOT ON NTA
Throughout the seasons, this show has failed to focus on the core characters of the series, and has given too much prominence to unimportant, ungrateful and uninteresting characters (see NTA).

In this season, after Emily’s departure, there are only two OTA members left: Oliver and Diggle and I really hope they focus on them both. It is time that, at least in the last hours of the show, they give OTA dynamics (although they are shaky now), and our wonderful BROTP the importance and the moments they deserve.

In addition, I want to say that the season itself should be centered as much as possible on Oliver. It is his story, his legacy, his end. Enough of focusing on characters that only make us want to sleep or roll our eyes. And by this I mean NTA (New Team of Assholes, as a colleague of mine recently baptized them) and Laurel Lance.
A TRUE LOVE LETTER TO THE SHOW
Too many times the producers have told us that a particular episode would be “a love letter to the show,” and then that “love letter” didn’t match with what really was important to the series. So I hope that in season 8, in the final season, they will be able to make a letter to the show, to their main characters (of course, they could not do this without Emily) and, above all, to Oliver’s story. That’s the story that has kept us hooked for so many years, that is the story they cannot fail, because they owe it absolutely everything.
Enough of criticizing Oliver in other series! #RespectOliverQueen2k19

BONUS: A HAPPY ENDING
For me, if the series doesn’t end with a happy ending they will not have done justice to the story that began in the pilot.

In recent times, it seems that the series producers think that a dramatic ending will mark a before and after, and that will make people remember the show. In short, they think it will be a good ending. I think they are wrong. A good ending means doing justice to the history of the series and its logical development. Arrow has always been about a dark man who believed he should pay for his father’s sins and his own, who thinks he didn’t deserve to be happy because he was a murderer. The logical conclusion to that story is that Oliver will end his journey as someone who is recognized as a hero, who sees himself as such and who has managed to be happy and knows that he deserves that happiness. I think that’s what we’ll see, and I hope I’m not mistaken.

FELICITY’S RETURN
HISTORY FOCUSED ON OTA AND NOT ON NTA
STAR CITY 2040 FOCUSED ON MIA AND WILLIAM
RESPECT FOR THE RETURNING CHARACTERS
A TRUE LOVE LETTER TO THE SHOW
BONUS: A HAPPY ENDING

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

I think that this EBR interview is from Issue #10 (January Issue) of EUPHORIA magazine that came out in December 2018 - I recommend reading the entire interview (also there are some great EBR pics included)...

EMILY BETT RICKARDS
AMANDA LANG     AUGUST 27, 2019
https://www.euphoriazine.com/blog/2019/08/interviews-emily-bett-rickards/ 

Confession: When I first saw Felicity Smoak on Arrow back in 2012, I was not a fan of her character. All I could think was, “What is this little tech geek doing on a superhero show? What is up with those dork glasses? Why is she so awkward?” Looking back I realize I had been so conditioned to see strong, female characters only as the stereotypical action girl who can box with the guys. As I’ve gotten older, I have realized that not only do I actually adore Felicity, I relate to her as well. I am not tech-savvy, nor am I good with computers, but I am a very flawed individual. Felicity Smoak portrays the reality of how a woman can be feminine and kind, but still selfish, stubborn, and frustrating. In other words, human.

Which brings us to Emily Bett Rickards, the fiercely talented actress who brings this character to life. Like myself, Emily does not share Felicity’s talent with computers. What she does have, however, is a quiet intelligence and warm sense of humor that imbues everything she says with urgency, forcing the listener to quiet their mind to take in what she has to say. Emily takes long pauses before delivering each response… except when it comes to her television crush. That one she knew right off the bat. And no, it is not Oliver Queen.
Felicity is the moral center and beating heart of the Arrow–verse in many ways. How do you think she has held onto that hopefulness after everything she has been through?
I’m always very proud of her and shocked by her ability to move on from the things she has experienced. She has been able to go forward and heal from some of the darker things she has endured. She’s inspiring to me in that sense that she is able to keep moving and keep bettering herself. She is so strong, I really look up to her for that.

Do you think she has sort of lost some of that hope after Oliver’s decision that has caused her so much isolation recently?
I think she has been burned a couple of too many times. She wants to fight back and be able to protect herself and the world around her instead of just relying on others.
Would you say you are more like Felicity in real life? If Emily Bett Rickards were in this universe, what would her role be?
We have helped each other grow over time. We have been together for seven years! There are things that bleed in and bleed out into our lives. Our environments are completely different, but she has taught me a lot. You know, I’m not leading an undercover life… But I wouldn’t tell you if I was! She has a very strong, moral code. Her voice of justice is the same and she holds very high expectations for herself.

A villain would be fun to play, but I don’t think I would really want to be one. If I were in that world, I think I would be more in an action kind of role. I am a lot more physically active than Felicity, though I’m not very coordinated. I also don’t have her technical ability in terms of hacking. Her skills are really not my skills.
Which do you prefer– comedy, drama or action?
I love comedy! I find it very smart and usually very current. That is definitely what I gear towards. There is such a wonderful truth in comedy that is grounded in our realities and very relatable. So, that is definitely what I am drawn towards. Also, anything that has well-rounded characters who aren’t perfect. That is what life is, I’m not interested in perfect characters, because I don’t think that really exists.

What draws you to certain roles? Is there something particular that you look for?
Complexity, authenticity, truthfulness, just anything that is written with complete honesty and without ego. Something was written with a humane lense to the world. That is what I tend to be attracted to.
What is your favorite ship name?
I was going to say my best friend’s ship name but I probably shouldn’t share that. I mean Ollicity is obviously the best one out there!
Article initially published in print, December 2018

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

EW ranked all past 160 episodes of Arrow - obviously, I can't quote much or even list all 160 episodes by rank, so I'll just refer you to this article link - it's interesting that they have these two writers for this article because, iirc, they have tended to be opposites in terms of Felicity/Olicity, with CA being friendlier and SB being more hostile (fyi, I don't agree with all of these rankings)...

We ranked every episode of Arrow
By Chancellor Agard and Sydney Bucksbaum  October 15, 2019
https://ew.com/tv/2019/10/15/arrow-episode-ranking/

160. “Collision Course” (Season 6, Episode 14) ...
The rift between Original Team Arrow and the New Team Arrow finally crescendos into outright violence. Unfortunately, the conflict just doesn’t hold any water and is more frustrating than anything because it feels unnecessary. —C.A.
153. “Code of Silence” (Season 4, Episode 14) ...
If I see another episode revolving around someone keeping a secret to protect someone they love, I will scream. And here, we get it in spades. Oliver’s keeping William a secret from Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) which Thea weirdly supports (after everything that was kept from her last season, this makes no sense!), Quentin’s (Paul Blackthorne) keeping his work with Team Arrow a secret from Donna (Charlotte Ross), and you just know it’s all going to go up in smoke right away. This is the most tired trope in comic book shows and I never want to see it again! —S.B.
119. “Darkness on the Edge of Town” (Season 1, Episode 22) ...
The good: Oliver and Diggle finally pull the truth about the Undertaking out of Moira, and Oliver confronts Malcolm about being the Dark Archer and ends up being captured. The bad: The use of Imagine Dragons when Oliver and Laurel hook-up, an unacceptable song choice. —C.A.
111. “The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak” (Season 3, Episode 5) ...
I wish Felicity’s origin story didn’t revolve around another man/romantic interest. —S.B.
88. “Lone Gunmen” (Season 1, Episode 3) ...
Wow, what a moment that we will never forget, a moment that is most pleasing to us in Arrow‘s run: Rickards debuts as the incomparable Felicity Smoak. Amell previously told EW that the show doesn’t work if it doesn’t find the actress, and he’s right. (Oh, and this episode introduces Deadshot, which is fine). —C.A. 
69. “Star City 2040” (Season 7, Episode 16) ...
Felicity’s debut in the flashforwards was exciting, sure, but the real whammy of this hour comes from Rene when he reveals the plans for the opposite of The Undertaking. What a cool callback to season 1. —S.B. 
64. “We Fall” (Season 6, Episode 11) ...
When Cayden James takes the city’s infrastructure hostage and demands $10 million a day to prevent further attacks, Oliver is not only forced to reveal to William that he’s the Green Arrow again, but also team up with New Team Arrow to keep the city’s inhabitants safe. This setup leads to one of the show’s best moments: a fight sequence told entirely from Felicity’s perspective. As OTA and NTA take on Cayden’s forces, Felicity opens up to a justifiably worried William about what it’s like to sit back in the bunker while Oliver is out in the field. The poignant monologue, as performed by Rickards and written by Speed Weed and Spiro Skentzos, powerfully captures the years of history between Oliver and Felicity. —C.A. 
38. “Beacon of Hope” (Season 4, Episode 17) ...
You know how hilarious it is when someone plays the random “Bees?” card in Cards Against Humanity? Well, this Ben Sokolowski and Brian Ford Sullivan-penned hour captures that very specific and delightful feeling. In “Beacon of Hope,” The Flash’s Brie Larvin, a.k.a. the Bug-Eyed Bandit (Emily Kinney), returns to terrorize Felicity with, you guessed it, bees — specifically killer robotic ones that chase her and her mother around Palmer Tech’s offices. Not only is it a blast to watch and one of the few times Arrow allows itself to just be fun (see: the bees, of course, but also a sneezy and delirious Curtis accidentally discovering the bunker), but it’s also one of the best examples of the show using the growing weirdness of its shared universe to its advantage. Honestly, it should bee higher on the list. —C.A. 
35. “Human Target” (Season 5, Episode 5) ...
Human Target! We knew Arrow would never actually kill off Oliver (well, until the final season) but this fake out was so incredibly well done. And the growing Prometheus threat just continues to ratchet up the tension — if Church is that terrified of this guy, then Oliver truly has no idea what’s coming. However this episode is also the start of one of my most hated Arrow arcs ever: Susan Williams’ (Carly Pope) relationship with Oliver while secretly working to bring him down with her work as a journalist. NO. This is not what a journalist does! TV shows love painting journalists in a bad light with no ethics, but that goes against everything we’re taught. —S.B.
28. “You Have Saved This City” (Season 7, Episode 22) ...
Was this a satisfying conclusion to season 7’s story? Not entirely. It felt as though the show wrapped up the Ninth Circle and Emiko storyline way too quickly. That being said,  “You Have Saved This City” felt like a conclusion to a larger story. That’s of course partially due to it being Emily Bett Rickards’ final episode as a series regular, but the episode also achieved that by spotlighting teamwork and what Oliver and company have built. Look at how director James Bamford poignantly tries to fit as many members of Team Arrow into each shot; the touching culmination of Earth-2 Laurel and Bronze Tiger’s redemption arcs; the thrill of seeing Mia embrace her inner Green Arrow while working with Team Arrow 2.0 in the flash-forwards; or finally, the powerful speech Oliver gives before he and Felicity go into hiding. Emotionally, the season 7 finale struck all of the right notes — and then gave us one hell of a tease for “Crisis on Infinite Earths.” —C.A.

27. “The Scientist” (Season 2, Episode 8 ) ...
Barry f—ing Allen is here, y’all! His introduction on Arrow, leading to his own series, is perfect in every way. Gustin makes for the most charming pre-speedster and his chemistry with all the characters on Arrow just worked. If he wasn’t already getting his own show, I’d petition for him to join Arrow full-time. —S.B.
11. “The Climb” (Season 3, Episode 9) ...
A.k.a. The one with Oliver and Ra’s al Ghul’s epic shirtless sword fight. It’s one of Arrow‘s best fight sequences ever just because it’s clear Oliver’s lost from the moment it begins. What elevates the episode, though, is that everything that comes before the duel is great, too; from Maseo’s surprising appearance in the present day storyline, to Felicity’s poignant plea to Oliver before he heads off to battle. Here, writers Jake Coburn and Keto Shimizu offer up a great blend thrilling action and powerful emotion that makes it easy to overlook how convoluted Malcolm’s plan actually was. —C.A.
1. “Unthinkable” (Season 2, Episode 23) ...
If you want to know not only what a perfect episode but also a perfect season finale looks like on Arrow, look no further than season 2’s full throttle ender. The city’s on fire thanks to Deathstroke’s Mirakuru army laying siege to the streets, but the worst of circumstances ends up bringing out the best in Oliver. He stays true to this season’s “no killing” rule and the reveal that Slade is being left in a new prison on Lian Yu feels like a poetic and full circle end (for now) to one of Arrow’s best villains. And while the season 1 finale left every character in chaos, season 2 ends with a clear path for each character heading into the new season. Plus, Lyla fires a grenade launcher, so how can you not put this episode at No. 1?! —S.B.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

How Arrow’s greatest strength became its biggest weakness
Sam Barsanti  October 15, 2019
https://tv.avclub.com/how-arrow-s-greatest-strength-became-its-biggest-weakne-1838717171 

To put it simply, Arrow tore through big events in those first few years, and it made those initial seasons feel really exciting and fresh. Season two in particular, with Oliver facing off against a fully realized Deathstroke who is completely out of his mind and has built a mountain of elaborate schemes designed to hurt Oliver in every possible way, is one of the absolute high points of superhero television in general. Of course, the reason the early years were so satisfying is that they were explicitly designed that way.

Six years ago, when Arrow’s second season was just about to kick off, series producer Marc Guggenheim told fan site GreenArrowTV that the writers explicitly tried to “burn through story” and not be “precious” with anything they wanted to do, in hopes of avoiding the sort of agonizingly delayed storytelling that plagued previous superhero shows. After all, The CW’s last big foray into the genre before Arrow was Smallville, and it infamously waited until the last second of the last episode to make its Clark Kent into Superman—and even then it was more of a glimpse than a reveal. Clearly, the team developing Arrow wanted to avoid that specific mistake.

Unfortunately, the problem with burning through story is that you’ll eventually have no more stories to burn, and it didn’t take long for Arrow to become a victim of its own success. By doing all of the cool things—like Deathstroke’s turn to evil, sidekick Roy Harper adopting the name Arsenal, and season one villain Malcolm Merlyn being identified as an acolyte of Ra’s Al Ghul—as soon as possible, Arrow eventually had to settle for plots and villains that didn’t have nearly as much punch. Guggenheim even predicted as much in that GreenArrowTV interview: “If we have the idea and we’re going to do it, let’s do it now. We’ll solve season five when we get to season five.”
Everything else beyond those two promising seasons, though, has been a mess. There are a number of culprits: A lack of compelling villains, the show’s devotion to its flashback framing device, and developments like Felicity failing to stop a nuclear bomb from destroying an American city—something that is barely ever mentioned again, despite (or because of) how utterly ridiculous it is. But they all go back to that philosophy Guggenheim articulated in 2013—forward momentum at all costs that wound up costing Arrow everything.

With Green Arrow’s canonical adversaries exhausted, and Ra’s Al Ghul’s screentime all but wasted (save for a classic, shirtless sword fight), the show strained to find new supervillains. Its take on D-list antihero Vigilante was fine, but you know you’re scraping the bottom of the barrel when comic creations like him and Wild Dog are getting big spotlights instead of more prominent characters. Hence the rise of Ricardo Diaz, a glorified mobster who could hold his own against Oliver and his friends simply because the plot demanded it. Diaz is based on a martial arts master from the comics named Richard Dragon (or, more accurately, the criminal who killed Dragon and stole his identity in the New 52 continuity), but TV Diaz never does anything interesting enough to justify any association with the surname “Dragon.”

The show’s pacing has left Oliver with a dearth of suitable allies as well. With Oliver’s story—or at least the story that had been set up since the pilot—essentially finished by the end of season five, the writers had a chance to go in any direction they wanted in season six. Unfortunately, they chose to pull the focus from their main character in favor of other vigilantes who were part of the crummy and annoying New Team Arrow—most of whom were just ineffective or less interesting variations on previously established characters. The original Black Canary died, but now we have multiple Black Canaries who are worse!
The one time the show managed to have any success in this area, it was in the service of characters and concepts who’d be better utilized on a different show: DC’s Legends Of Tomorrow. That excellent spin-off is a lot better at moving back and forth in time, too. By season three, Arrow was taking its flashbacks off the island for a story that was either too disconnected from the modern-day plot to feel important or so closely related that it felt cheap and distracting. (What are the odds that a killer virus Oliver encountered five years ago is the same killer virus being used by a villain in the present?) In fact, the most alive Arrow has felt since 2014 was when it ditched Oliver and the flashbacks entirely in season seven, instead flashing forward to a dystopian, Green Arrow-less Starling City where the lines between the haves and have-nots are distinctly drawn. There, a young woman—eventually revealed to be Oliver’s daughter—begrudgingly fights for justice alongside the aforementioned Canaries. It was a new energy for Arrow, one that cut off all of the aging threads from the show’s present-day stories, which still involved Oliver fighting Ricardo Diaz, with the added twist of Team Arrow getting deputized by the police department—always a good indicator that your dark vigilante show has lived a little too long.

Edited by tv echo

No spoilers quoted below (warning: rest of TVLine article contains spoilers)...

Arrow Boss on Final Season Premiere: The Flash Team Was 'Very Gracious' About Letting Us Destroy [________]
By Matt Webb Mitovich / October 15 2019
https://tvline.com/2019/10/15/arrow-recap-season-8-premiere-earth-two-destroyed-in-crisis/ 

A moment of silence, please, for Earth-Two (including presumably Harrison Wells and his daughter Jesse)…..

“When we started breaking the season as a whole, because we don’t have that many episodes, we knew that we wanted to start big, and we wanted to introduce the upcoming Crisis immediately,” Arrow showrunner Beth Schwartz explains. “Crisis is starting earlier than we thought.”

Now mind you, one can’t just eradicate an entire planet without getting the proper approvals. Rather, sister series The Flash had to sign off on Earth-Two’s destruction. “We were like, ‘Is this OK? Does this ruin things?’ And you know, they were very gracious,” Schwartz reports.
And as far as scenes we won’t see this season, “There was a nice Laurel/Tommy moment in the in the club that got cut [from the premiere], which I was sad about,” Schwartz lamented. But along with any other Season 8 scenes cut due to time, “Hopefully we’ll get those in the DVDs.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Edited by tv echo

Arrow Review: Starling City (Season 8 Episode 1)
October 16, 2019  Brianna Martinez
https://telltaletv.com/2019/10/arrow-review-starling-city-season-8-episode-1/ 

Even with Emily Bett Rickards’ notable absence, Felicity’s presence is felt throughout, from mentions of her Bunker design on this Earth to Oliver gazing at the photo he keeps of her and Mia from the cabin –a quick moment that still manages to leave a lasting impression.

It’s especially felt as Oliver goes down to the Merlyn-Queen Consolidated IT department looking for her.

Oliver: It was supposed to be red.

I mean, the scene has every item to call back to that iconic scene on Arrow Season 1 Episode 3, “Lone Gunman,”; the pink blouse, blond hair, glasses, and that red pen comment, with the added fun of seeing the season 3 fern. I am a fan.
William and Mia’s little conversation in the newly renovated bunker really goes to show you how much like their parents they are.

William offering comforting words to Mia about the legacy their mother and father left them feels like something Felicity would have done, while Mia takes the time to process it quietly and in slightly broody fashion, much like Oliver, before accepting it and taking it in stride.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Stephen Amell has described the final season of Arrow as a “love letter” to fans. In the past on Arrow, the promise of a “love letter” hasn’t always lived up to that hype (I’m talking about you, underwhelming 150th episode), and it’s still way too early to say whether this eighth season will match Amell’s claim or fall short. However, this week’s season premiere, “Starling City,” does serve as a great opening salutation to this final farewell letter; it’s an episode that reflects on and honors the series’ past while pushing it forward into a new, exciting future, one that we know has major, universe-shattering consequences.
There’s no shortage of reviews and editorials talking about the impact that Oliver’s friends and family have had on him throughout Arrow’s run. I know that I have written extensively about how both Felicity and Diggle have helped mold him into the best version of himself, how they saved him more from the hell of Lian Yu than any rescue boat did.
I also appreciated that we learned what Felicity is up to on this alternate earth, and I was happy to hear that she’s running Smoke Tech. Also, Oliver’s crestfallen face when he realized it wasn’t Felicity and Stephen Amell’s delivery of the line “It was supposed to be red” were an emotional gut punch.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

Arrow’s Love Letter To Fans Was Missing One Important Thing: Felicity Smoak
ALYSSA BARBIERI    OCTOBER 16, 2019
https://fangirlish.com/arrows-love-letter-to-fans-was-missing-one-important-thing-felicity-smoak/ 

Arrow‘s season 8 premiere was indeed the love letter to the fans that the showrunners promised — in how it was able to honor the past and celebrate the future of this show. Oliver and Tommy. Oliver and Moira. Oliver and Diggle. Every moment from the series premiere — and nods to episodes hereafter — had me feeling the nostalgic bug.
But as I was watching the season 8 premiere, I couldn’t help but feel like there was something missing. Something vital. Something game-changing. Something that can never be replicated. Something that made me love Arrow.

For me, Arrow didn’t really begin until one character charmed her way on screen and left Oliver Queen, Stephen Amell, The CW and fans smitten with her quirkiness and quick wit.

Everything changed when Felicity Smoak stepped on screen. The show. The journey. The hero.

In a single two-minute exchange, suddenly you could see the hero that we were supposed to root for. No longer was he wearing a perpetual scowl, he was smiling, smitten by the blonde IT expert that wasn’t afraid to call him on his bullshit.

Felicity’s impact on Arrow — and Arrowverse as a whole — is substantial, and also something that I’ll delve into in a separate editorial. But that was the moment where I finally felt like there was something in this show — and the hero I was supposed to be rooting for — to invest in.
The one thing that Arrow did in its season 8 premiere was mention Felicity every chance it could, which was difficult given that Oliver was sent to another Earth where he couldn’t exactly talk about his lovely wife and beautiful daughter, Mia.

While the show did a good job of reminding us that Felicity is still very much a part of this show, it couldn’t compensate for the loss of Felicity’s presence. Arrow has always been a show shrouded in darkness. But too much darkness could’ve and would’ve killed this show.

That’s where Felicity shined — she was the light in what seemed like an impenetrable darkness. And she was the light that was finally able to break through the darkness that had consumed Oliver.

Felicity has always been more than just Oliver’s partner, friend, girlfriend, wife and mother of his child. She has been an inspiration to so many people that watched and continue to watch this show because she represented those like us — people that didn’t wear the mask or costume but were heroes at heart.

While I know Felicity won’t be in Arrow‘s final season — although I’m holding out for the series finale, be it previously-filmed footage or Rickards’ return — that void will be felt throughout these final episodes. Because when you take away that light, the darkness is blinding.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

Here’s our 8 favorite moments from the ‘Arrow’ season 8 premiere!
Lynsey Neill  October 17, 2019
https://www.purefandom.com/2019/10/17/arrow-season-8-premiere-favorite-moments/

I think it’s important to start out with this simple truth:

This episode, and this season, is like no other. Because our “red pen” Felicity Smoak will no longer physically be with us, and because it will be like a season paying homage to other seasons… leading up to the very big “Crisis” event! Naturally, that has Arrow fans like myself worried. Change, in the face of a longtime TV viewer, is a scary thing.
#3 Paragon
This speech The Monitor gives is especially satisfying and equal parts jarring for an Arrow fan. We aren’t used to high praise and compliments given to Oliver Queen. And Oliver is especially not used to it. It sets him apart to the abundance of heroes in these Arrowverse shows. And listening to it made me overjoyed that Oliver was getting the same respect that he’s showed the other heroes over the years. He’s sacrificed more than anyone. He deserves it. He’s a paragon.
#2 It’s supposed to be red
Besides being a meta-statement for the season as a whole, Oliver meeting Not-Felicity like he did in 1×03, was a definite highlight. It’s easy for shows to just not talk about it, and never mention it again when they lose a key member. But clearly Felicity Smoak is at the forefront of Oliver’s mind, every step of the way.

They brought back their “love tokens” so to speak. “It’s supposed to be red”, meaning the pen she was chewing on, and their love fern. Classic Olicity callbacks.
All in all, I would say it was a pretty solid season premiere (even though it cannot be perfect without Felicity Smoak). It was definitely a lead up to Crisis but it also showed Oliver Queen a world where he wasn’t in it. And that’s definitely a worse world.

#8 The Dark Archer vs The Green Arrow
#7 FTA, and William and Mia!
#6 Deathstroke JJ!
#5 Tommy’s Evil Monologue
#4 Diggle, Diggle, Diggle
#3 Paragon
#2 It’s supposed to be red
#1 The Moira and Oliver of it all

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Arrow: 10 Unanswered Questions After The Season 8 Premiere
BY MATT MORRISON – ON OCT 18, 2019 
https://screenrant.com/arrow-season-8-episode-1-questions/

10. HOW DID EARTH-2 BATMAN WIND UP ON LIAN YU?
9. WHAT IS EARTH-2 ADRIAN CHASE'S BACKSTORY?
8. WAS BRUCE WAYNE BATMAN ON EARTH-2?
7. WHO TRAINED EARTH-2 TOMMY AS THE DARK ARCHER?
6. WHAT HAPPENED TO ROBERT QUEEN BEING EARTH-2'S HOOD?
5. WHAT HAPPENED TO EARTH-2 LAUREL & THEA BEING CLOSE?
4. WHY DOES CLUB VERDANT EXIST ON EARTH-2?
3. HOW IS LAUREL WALKING AROUND IN PUBLIC ON EARTH-2?
2. DID ANY OF EARTH 2'S HEROES SURVIVE?
1. WHY DOES THE MONITOR NEED DWARF STAR PARTICLES?

Edited by tv echo

Arrow Finally Delivers a Proper Green Arrow/Black Canary Duo - With a Twist
by Ian Cardona – on Oct 18, 2019
https://www.cbr.com/arrow-season-8-hood-black-canary-duo/

Ever since the series premiere of Arrow in 2012, fans have been waiting for a proper Green Arrow and Black Canary team-up that's worthy of their comic book legacy. With Dinah Laurel Lance part of the series' cast, most fans believed it was only a matter of time before we would see Oliver and Dinah unite as a two-person team to take on the criminals of Star City.

However, things were never that simple. Sara Lance's Canary first showed up, then Laurel put on the domino mask after her sister died. And even if Laurel became the Black Canary, she was nowhere near an effective crime-fighter compared to her comic book counterpart.

Even with the introduction of two other Canaries, Dinah Drake and Black Siren, Arrow has often had Green Arrow and Black Canary share the screen, but never the classic way many comic book fans would have wanted to see them. In the comics, there is no Team Arrow. There is only Oliver and Dinah, the dynamic, street-level crime-fighting duo.

Well now, with its Season 8 premiere, Arrow finally gives fans a proper Green Arrow/Black Canary duo -- only it's just not on Earth-1.
Laurel explains that the two of them became crime-fighting partners after Adrian joined her heroic cause. Therefore, Earth-2 now has what the prime Earth never had: a proper Green Arrow and Black Canary duo that operates throughout the streets and rooftops of Star City.

Adrian may be no Oliver Queen, but this is as close as Arrow has ever gotten to featuring these two superheroes as a two-person unit. There's no Felicity on the other end of the line or back-up from Diggle or anyone else. It's just the pair of them, and they appear to work quite well together.
What's more, the episode even sees Adrian call Laurel "pretty bird," a nickname often used by Green Arrow in the comics when speaking to Black Canary.

Over time, it became clear that Arrow wasn't just a reflection of the comics. While the series is inspired by the source material, it has gone on to tell its own original stories. However, the Season 8 premiere finally gave fans something they have wanted to see for years. It might not be the exact characters you wanted, or on the proper Earth, but this is as close as we've gotten to seeing a pitch-perfect version of a classic Green Arrow/Black Canary duo.

Edited by tv echo

Obviously, I disagree with some of the listed things (esp. when the argument is solely because it differs from the comics)...

20 Things Wrong With The CW's Arrow
Britt Poteet   Oct. 21, 2019
https://www.thethings.com/20-things-wrong-with-the-cws-arrow/

Fans are quick to voice their opinions when they believe the show has made a mistake. Here are 20 Things Wrong With The CW’s Arrow.
20 The Canary Mess...
Fans of Black Canary were excited to see her come to life on Arrow, but after eight seasons the character’s story has been confusing and inaccurate compared to the comics.

Three different characters have had the mantle, resulting in a muddled, confusing backstory. Laurel and Sara Lance both took turns as the hero and eventually Dinah Lance held the title. It’s hard to follow, and it ruined the Black Canary.
19 No Proper Beard...
Oliver Queen’s beard is iconic in the comics. He’s an easily recognized hero with a very unique look. When Arrow came out, fans were upset he didn’t have his famous facial hair. Throughout the early seasons, he didn’t have the right look.

While he did have the comic-accurate goatee at one point in season seven, it certainly took a long time for them to get there.
18 Oliver's Son...
17 Adding Ra’s Al Ghul...
16 Felicity’s Disability...
In a plot twist no fan wanted, Felicity ended up disabled and in a wheelchair. While Arrow tried it’s best to portray a disabled person, it didn’t do a great job.

She became a knock off of the Batman character Oracle, who is responsible for the hero's tech and sits in a wheelchair. The plot arc didn’t work well, especially when she was cured with a chip with little explanation.
15 Laurel’s Fate...
When fans first saw Laurel Lance on the show, they assumed they knew where her story would go. She was supposed to become the Black Canary and be romantically involved with Oliver.

While both of those things technically happened, she was also whiny, judgemental, and pushed to the side to make room for Felicity. Eventually the character perished and fans were outraged at the way the character was treated.
14 The Suicide Squad...
The Suicide Squad is arguably one of the most interesting groups of characters that DC has. When it was first announced that Arrow would feature the group, fans were excited.

However, the show didn’t have the rights to the majority of the recognizable members, like Harley Quinn, and the plot was scrapped. Warner Bros wanted to use them for the movie instead, so the squad on Arrow was a waste.
12 Dropped Plot Points...
Most CW shows have their fair share of plot holes, and Arrow is no different. There have been quite a few major story-lines that the show has dropped completely or wrapped up with little explanation.

Roy disappears and appears out of nowhere, Laurel becomes a superhero far too easily, and Oliver somehow survived being stabbed and kicked off a mountain by Ra’s. The show tends to be very vague.
11 Making Atom More Like Iron Man...
10 Giving Oliver A Sibling...
9 Too Many Resurrections...
8 Artemis Is All Wrong...
7 Making Oliver Too Much Like Bruce Wayne...
Batman and The Green Arrow have always been compared, but Arrow took the similarities to a new level. Some have even referred to Oliver as the Bruce Wayne of the Arrowverse.

Ra’s, typically a Batman villain, was one of Oliver’s main foes, Felicity acts as his version of Oracle, and they changed Oliver to more of a brooding loner. They took away a lot of the originality surrounding Green Arrow.
6 Not Political Enough...
3 The Olicity Romance...
While there are plenty of fans who love Oliver and Felicity together, there are also a lot who don’t. Regardless of whether you love or hate them, they changed the focus of the show as well as the background of the character.

Felicity is not a love interest for Oliver in the comics. Adding her to the show was a bold decision and not everyone was on board.
1 It Should Have Ended By Now...
While Arrow is currently in its final season, there are a lot of fans who believe it should have already ended. Season 3-5 are widely considered the peak of the show.

Even actor Stephen Amell said it should have stopped at season seven. While he claims he changed his mind, it’s clear that a lot of people think the show has jumped the shark.

Edited by tv echo

5 BURNING QUESTIONS WE HOPE THE FINAL SEASON OF "ARROW" ANSWERS!
by Kyla Killackey   October 21, 2019
https://younghollywood.com/scene/5-burning-questions-we-hope-the-final-season-of-arrow-answers.html

I feel safe in saying that "Arrow" has been nothing short of a phenomenon. The series, which enters into its 8th and final season this Fall, was the start of a whole new era for The CW network and kicked off one of the greatest shared universes in television history. It has been a long and winding road to get our green hero to where he is today, full of triumph and loss and a whole lot of mystery. The 7th season ended with one hell of a cliffhanger, and with the end now in sight, we’ve rounded up our 5 most burning questions that we hope will be answered this season!
5. Felicity???
The Monitor took Felicity through the portal last season, and though there was an implication she might be going to see Oliver, we’ve learned to never trust a happy ending. Where are they going? Will Oliver get to meet his kids? Will we see Felicity at all this season? There is so much to do and so little time!

1. Where are Roy and Thea?
2. What happened between the time jump?
3. Where-oh-where is Diggle?
4. Who will be the final villain?
5. Felicity???

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

This is a good analysis of the use of past Arrow music in 801, but I'm not going to quote a lot (also, some good animated gifs)...

Starling City - Arrow Music Notes 8x01
Austencello (Ruth)   October 21, 2019
https://austencello.tumblr.com/post/188500287639/starling-city-arrow-music-notes-8x01

... For most of the series, piano was used for Oliver and yet it was pretty absent from this episode except when he looked at the picture of Mia and Felicity when both the piano and harp play.  Harp was generally used for softer moments especially with Felicity or Thea.  The harp represents the love that has changed him from the man who first walked in those doors, who does everything he can for his family.
Oliver decides to confront Malcolm for being the Dark Archer but the Monitor stops him, reminding him of the mission to find the Dwarf Star particles.  As he speaks, The Monitor’s theme from last year’s crossover plays: a solo violin over strings and a little bit of choir to give a cosmic, other-worldly sound.  The dwarf-star particles were stolen by the Dark Archer, however, so Oliver decides to look into Malcolm first by visiting the IT department to find Felicity and get her help.  There was no music in that original meeting so this time it combines hammered dulcimer (Oliver’s instrument especially in Season 1) with humorous variations of the Arrow theme, provided by rests and pauses.  Fun string patterns were used both for Oliver and Felicity in Queen Consolidated (especially Felicity) so the feeling evokes memories and humor, especially as he finds a woman that reminds him of Felicity and yet is definitely not her.  This music continues as he seeks information off of Curtis’ computer.
Later on, Moira introduces Diggle to him as his bodyguard as the same music accompanies the scene from the pilot.  It’s a great moment when Oliver has to remind himself of his previous interaction when personally thrilled to see Diggle while Diggle plays around for a little, including locking him in the car.  This scene was the first time Diggle’s theme was introduced in the electric bass and it was fun to hear it again.  

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Arrow Review: Welcome to Hong Kong (Season 8 Episode 2)
October 23, 2019   Brianna Martinez
https://telltaletv.com/2019/10/arrow-review-welcome-to-hong-kong-season-8-episode-2/

Tatsu’s history with Oliver and her masterful martial arts skills adds depth to the Hong Kong story. But it’s her very frank questions about The Monitor’s request that lead to one of the highlights from the episode.

Oliver: Because If I’m wrong—If I’m wrong, then all of this is for nothing. You understand, Tatsu? I left Felicity. I left my children. So, if The Monitor can’t fix this and if he is not here to help, then all of these things I’ve sacrificed and all of the things that so many other people have sacrificed will have been for nothing! I need my family to live—which means that I need this to work.

Stephen Amell does a fantastic job illustrating the desperation, heartache, and need Oliver has to believe in whatever The Monitor’s mission entails and that it will make all of his sacrifices worthwhile, keeping his family safe.

The scene complements the moment before that beautifully and heartbreakingly intercuts Oliver putting his wedding ring back on with the moment that Felicity tells Oliver that knowing him has changed her life from Arrow Season 3 Episode 20, “The Fallen”, and Felicity giving Oliver assurances that they’re going to be fine from Arrow Season 4 Episode 6, “Lost Souls.”  

The question now is, are the choices of scenes meant to be taken as more than just a pair of crucial moments in Olicity’s relationship or are they just a pair of randomly selected highlights?
Tatsu poses a valid question about how blindly and unquestioningly Oliver is going into this mission. There are so many non-answers given in just the span of these 2 episodes, that a sinking feeling creeps in about what this mysterious man is up to.
Things go south quickly and the heart-seizing moment where William’s life hangs in the balance thanks to JJ’s men add another layer of emotion to 2040, especially considering that the Queen-Smoak are all the family they have left.
I’m going to need William to make it out of that situation alive and well because I can’t accept another Queen-Smoak family loss.
-We get our final Arrow introduction at the top of the hour—sniffles—is another heartbreaking reminder of what Oliver’s given up to help save the Multiverse and even manages to feature a part of those gut-wrenching final 10 minutes of the Arrow Season 7 finale. You know the ones, Olicity’s goodbye and the cabin montage.
-Those two scenes used during the ring scene are courtesy of Antonio Negret-directed episodes! An excellent way to note the director’s impact on not only Oliver’s story but Olicity’s.
-I was honestly hoping we would be able to get through the final season without someone unnecessarily blaming Oliver for something that he had no control over. Alas, that doesn’t seem to be the case.
-Lyla’s words to Earth-2 Laurel definitely feel like they invoked Felicity’s words to Oliver on Arrow Season 2.

Felicity: You honor the dead by fighting and you are not done fighting.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I very much agree with this. KC is getting a lot of praise in reviews and on Twitter for last night's episode (and she was good), but SA has been a bit of a powerhouse when it comes to selling what he's feeling lately:

Stephen Amell Is Acting His Butt off on ‘Arrow’s Final Season
By Alex Zalben,  Oct 22, 2019
https://decider.com/2019/10/22/arrow-welcome-to-hong-kong-review-stephen-amell/

Speaking extremely generally, with few exceptions the characters on The CW’s Arrow have spent the past seven seasons working in two emotional realms: moody brooding, and grim determination. Like I said, there have been exceptions, but Arrow is a show that rightly prefers to have its cast deal with emotional trauma through expertly constructed fight sequences and big speeches instead of tearful heart to hearts. Yet two episodes into the show’s final season, it’s clear that Arrow is focused not only on putting Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) through the emotional wringer; Amell is also acting his taut tuchas off, as well.
Oliver, though, feels it more than anyone. Towards the beginning of the episode, he describes leaving behind his wife, his daughter, his friends and family in order to save the entire multiverse (or at least try). He lays out everything he’s lost, and the weight he has to bear. That’s not necessarily new territory for Oliver, or Arrow; every season features some variation on the “no, I have to do this alone” trope as the hero sets out to save the day before learning he needs to rely on his friends. What Amell effectively conveys here though is that this time is truly different. Even though he will eventually learn the same lesson (as well Grant Gustin’s Barry Allen, who is dealing with similar issues on The Flash), Oliver Queen is one guy with a bow and arrow. Having someone who is basically a god say that he needs to save the multiverse? And he has to do it alone? For the first time in eight seasons, the trope makes sense.

For Amell’s part, it’s the most real acting I’ve seen on a CW superhero show in… Maybe ever, as his eyes become wet with tears describing his circumstances. It’s hard not to think this is Amell himself wrestling with the weight he has to bear, that Arrow wasn’t just the first superhero show in the Arrow-verse, it also effectively kicked off modern comic book television. Now, after nearly a decade, he has to say goodbye to all of that, bring home the first stage of a movement in a satisfying fashion.
That’s the meta-textual emotion that’s pouring into every word and movement coming from Amell, at least in these first two episodes. The stakes are ludicrously high, and Amell’s performance is very much rising to the challenge, eking raw feeling from every pore and movement. It’s still early going, of course — there’s well more than half the season to go before the end. But as of now, Amell is jumping ably up that acting salmon ladder, and exceeding expectations.

• Love 1

Arrow’ 8×02 Review: “Welcome to Hong Kong”
RAQUEL   OCTOBER 23, 2019  
https://fangirlish.com/welcome-hong-kong-arrow/

After that conversation, Tatsu doesn’t hesitate to follow Oliver and his plan, however risky it may be. In the end, everything goes well, but Tatsu’s life is in serious danger and our Oliver apologizes to her.

The truth is that I’m tired of Oliver apologizing for everything. He was not to blame for what happened to Tatsu, she decided to follow him, knowing the risks. Seriously, they should stop making Oliver apologize almost for breathing.
Now, Oliver is willing to fight for his life and to return to his family. He is willing to fight for himself, and for them. He is willing to fight to live, and will not wait to die.

It’s a tremendously wonderful and poetic idea since this episode is a tribute to season 3, the season where Oliver was only waiting to die and didn’t fight to live until Felicity asked him to do so. And in this episode, a tribute to season 3 in which Oliver was just waiting for his death to come, Oliver decides to fight for life. This speaks of Oliver’s growth and this reflection of Oliver’s current moment compared with the Oliver of season 3 is totally intentional, and I think it’s a wonderful parallel.

Oliver is still willing to sacrifice himself, without that huge heart that he has he would not be our Oliver, but he is also willing to find another way to save the entire multiverse.

Felicity taught him that there is always another way and that he should look for it. That’s exactly what Oliver is going to do. Felicity … absent but always present in Oliver’s mind and heart, always guiding his actions even though she is not by his side. Felicity is part of Oliver, part of his body, his heart and his soul and the final scene is just a sample of the thousands that have shown us this fact throughout the seasons.

One of the most special moments of the episode has been when Oliver has put the wedding ring back on. It was a precious moment and I’m glad Stephen suggested something like that. A magical moment within the episode that says so many things, while the scene goes on in complete silence.

When he was on earth 2, Oliver couldn’t wear his wedding ring for obvious reasons, but now he can put it back on. That ring represents so much … it is a symbol of his whole life. A symbol of love and commitment to Felicity and his whole family,  a symbol of the reason why he fights. A constant reminder of what he has had, has lost and struggles to safeguard. The antidote and the poison … but he can bear that poison in order to feel Felicity and his children closer, in order to feel them with him. Oliver felt naked without that ring, it is a ring that connects him with Felicity and the life he had to leave behind, it is a ring that connects him with a part of himself that until Felicity, he never thought could exist.
Now, let’s talk about Laurel. I will never understand that Laurel blames Oliver for … doing exactly what? Trying to save her land, the entire multiverse and the lives of Barry and Kara, having had to sacrifice his family in the process? Because it’s the only thing Oliver has done. It makes no sense that Laurel tells him that what has happened on Earth 2 is his fault. Oliver’s mission was to try to stop what is happening. He didn’t succeed, but that is not his fault. 

So I don’t know what Laurel’s accusation is about. She is hurt, but that doesn’t excuse the way she treats Oliver, making him feel bad and blaming him for things he has no control. Oliver doesn’t want to be there. Oliver would do everything to not be there, and return to his family, but he sacrificed himself for everyone and now Laurel comes to unfairly accuse him of things that make no sense. That same Laurel who tried to kill him and his family several times. This leads me to reaffirm that people like Barry or Laurel don’t deserve Oliver Queen, and his sacrifice.

• Love 6

Hey, Arrow, Can You Stop Blaming Oliver Queen For Everything That Goes Wrong?
ALYSSA BARBIERI    OCTOBER 23, 2019
https://fangirlish.com/hey-arrow-can-you-stop-blaming-oliver-queen-for-everything-that-goes-wrong/ 

If there’s one simple truth that I’ve learned from the Arrowverse over the past eight years, it’s that Oliver Queen will always take the blame for whatever goes wrong.
So watching Oliver blame himself, yet again, after Laurel blamed him for the destruction of an entire Earth was infuriating — like he personally lit a match that destroyed the entire thing. Ugh. Stop, Oliver. You’re far too good for all of these people that don’t appreciate you.

I’m sick and tired of people trashing Oliver or underestimating just how much he’s meant to this Arrowverse. There’s a reason Arrow is in the name, after all. He started all of this. And, when he takes his bow at season’s end, he’ll leave it in the trusting hands of his successors.

Whatever Oliver Queen’s legacy winds up being in the eyes of many, he was a true hero. He never stopped fighting. He never stopped trying to be a better version of himself because he always believed there’s room for growth. He owned up to his faults. And, instead of simply accepting them, he tried to be better because of them.

So, Laurel, let me put this simply for you, since you don’t appear keen on listening to anyone. Stop blaming others for things that are out of their control. Whether it was the death of your father or the destruction of your entire Earth. Look, I get it, you have every right to be fucking infuriated. I can’t imagine losing my entire fucking world. But stop blaming Oliver, because he tried to help your Earth in the first place.

With each passing episode, it’s clear that Oliver Queen is suffering at the hands of his own sacrifice. In agreeing to save Barry and Kara, he sacrificed himself. Only he didn’t realize the effect said sacrifice would have on him. Not that he’d do anything differently. Ten times out 10, he’s choosing the self-sacrificing route, folks. That’s just who Oliver Queen is.

Even as we watched Oliver think about Felicity, who he had to leave behind, and his children, who he also had to leave behind, Oliver knows exactly why he had to leave. When push comes to shove, Oliver will fight to protect his family.
And it’s not just his family’s lives that are at stake. It’s the entire freaking universe. That’s not lost on Oliver. You’re telling me if the Monitor told Oliver right now that he could give up his life and every life could be spared that he wouldn’t do that? If you say no, you don’t know Oliver Queen.

Oliver Queen has been my favorite hero in this Arrowverse not because he’s perfect. It’s because of his imperfections and his determination to keep growing as a hero and as a person that have made him as relatable as one can be in a comic book universe. Spoiler alert: He doesn’t need superpowers to do that. Oliver Queen is a true hero because of what he does, not what his abilities are.

When all is said and done, actions speak louder than superpowers. Not that the Arrowverse would give a damn.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, tv echo said:

Now, let’s talk about Laurel. I will never understand that Laurel blames Oliver for … doing exactly what? Trying to save her land, the entire multiverse and the lives of Barry and Kara, having had to sacrifice his family in the process? Because it’s the only thing Oliver has done. It makes no sense that Laurel tells him that what has happened on Earth 2 is his fault. Oliver’s mission was to try to stop what is happening. He didn’t succeed, but that is not his fault

God knows I don't like Laurel and it certainly wasn't Oliver's fault but from Laurel's perspective the only anomalies on her Earth before it's destruction were Oliver and Diggle and I don't think at the point she got angry she really understood what Oliver was doing so I can sort of understand her thinking that because they were the only thing "wrong" on her Earth, it was their fault. It doesn't completely make sense since she knows her going to another Earth and even taking the place of a dead person as Oliver did didn't cause the destruction of that Earth but her world had been destroyed so I can make allowances especially since I think part of her anger was driven by Oliver's insistence there was no hope because some random dude she'd never heard of said so.

No spoilers...

Arrow season 8: Will Oliver Queen get a happy ending?
by Lissete Lanuza   October 25, 2019 
https://netflixlife.com/2019/10/25/arrow-season-8-oliver-queen-happy-ending/

Back in season 1, it would have been almost impossible to believe Oliver Queen – an angry man hellbent on righting his family’s wrongs and intent on pushing everyone who remotely cared about him away, would come anywhere near a happy ending. But Oliver has grown, has learned to put others first, and more importantly, has learned to truly love, and let others love him.

In fact, you could even say the character’s journey is such that, at this point, I can’t even imagine sacrifice being his ultimate end.

Not because Oliver Queen wouldn’t sacrifice himself, no. He absolutely would, and he’s already agreed to do so. That’s why we’re here, in this lead-up to the crossover to end all crossovers, because Oliver agreed to a deal with The Monitor: his life, for that of Barry and Kara’s.

His life for the universe.
But should that be the hero way? And is that an even remotely satisfying ending for the man we’ve seen grow, win some, lose some, find the love of his life and discover what happiness really is?

No, it wouldn’t be. In fact, it would be almost like cheating us out of the ending we – and Oliver – truly deserve.

Of course, without Emily Bett Rickards appearing in this season of Arrow, it’s hard to imagine Oliver getting a full happy ending. How can this end properly for him without Felicity, without his daughter, without a chance to live a quiet life with them?
So, no, I don’t know if Oliver will get to ride off into the sunset like in season three, this time with his daughter in tow, but I really, really hope so. And considering all he’s sacrificed, all he’s built, I would even say he’s earned it.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

No spoilers...

Katherine McNamara fights to make 'Arrow' role different
BY RICK BENTLEY  OCT 25, 2019
https://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-tns-bc-tv-arrow-mcnamara-20191025-story.html 

"I went directly from one show to another which I am eternally grateful for," McNamara says. "It's also just a wonderful thing to jump into a show where the basis is all about family. You have these kids who were abandoned and then have to learn how to work together with a stranger. It's interesting because Mia is not used to having someone else to protect, and that's a scary thing."

She pauses, smiles and adds: "It's also nice to be able to keep fighting."
McNamara's theory is while Mia is the best parts of both her mother and father, her character's loner quality comes mostly from her dad.

"She has Felicity's humor and has Oliver's brooding and aggressiveness and skill on the battlefield. That's a deadly combination in my opinion," McNamara says.
"I want to be part of every kind of genre and play every kind of character," McNamara says. "The way I justified going directly to 'Arrow' after 'Shadowhunters' is that, yes, it's a similar genre, but the character is entirely different. Clay was that ember of hope, the naive, wide-eyed person trying to find her place in the world, Mia is a product of her environment.

"She is a survivor. She is cutthroat and will do whatever it takes to survive. It's a very interesting way to approach a similar world but with a completely different perspective."

• Love 2

This writer's dream-casting of a hypothetical Arrow film - eh, not who I would pick, but all I can say is, if they ever do a Green Arrow movie, they better have chemistry reads...

Casting an Arrow Feature Film 
Lily Wordsmith October 25, 2019
https://www.tvovermind.com/casting-an-arrow-feature-film/

Felicity Smoak (Overwatch)
Following our pattern here, we had to find the perfect actress who knows her way around a computer like a pro. The great news is that we happen to know an actress who double-majored in theater and computer science. We know the classic blonde nerd girl with glasses is cannon, but there’s no good reason why we shouldn’t switch it up. Felicity is fierce and brilliant, just like Lyndsey Scott. The character is an extraordinary hacker and computer wiz. The downside is that we’re not a hundred percent sure that she’d take the role if we had a script to hand her. For the last several years, Lyndsey has been busier developing great phone apps. However, if she did take the part, her imDown app would make an excellent platform for spilling just enough details to keep us wanting more while they film since the videos have to be under a minute. No other actress embodies Felicity as well in real life.

Oliver Queen - Sam Claflin
John Diggle - Michael Jai White
Felicity Smoak - Lyndsey Scott
Sara Lance - Gina Carano
Roy Harper - Miles Teller
Thea Queen - Keleigh Sperry

Edited by tv echo

TVLine's Performer of the Week:

HONORABLE MENTION | When Arrow depicted Earth-Two’s destruction, our first thoughts turned to The Flash and how its heroes will react to losing a few superfriends. But then it dawned on us that Laurel aka Black Siren lost her entire home, and Katie Cassidy Rodgers powerfully conveyed a commensurate hurt. Earth-Two’s denizens weren’t “real” to Oliver, Laurel asserted, but instead represented “copies” of people he loved. For Laurel, though, “Those were real people who were counting on me!” After aiming to “fix” the device that wasn’t letting her breach home to help survivors, Laurel exploded with rage when the devastating truth became indisputable. Then, in a quiet sequence with the excellent Audrey Marie Anderson (as Lyla), Cassidy made us feel every loss: “How am I supposed to move forward when everyone I ever loved is gone?” But thanks to Lyla’s counsel, Laurel came to realize that Earth-One needs her, too.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

A confident Arrow knows exactly what it’s doing, even if Oliver doesn’t
Allison Shoemaker    Oct. 22, 2019
https://tv.avclub.com/a-confident-arrow-knows-exactly-what-it-s-doing-even-i-1839227030

A quick note on the flash-forwards: As with last week’s episode, they feel like almost a footnote, but I want to quickly note that Charlie Barnett is killing it. There have been quite a few family-member-is-actually-evil storylines over the course of Arrow’s seasons. Some have been misdirection, some have been about redemption, and some have just been straight-up evil. But Barnett is so good, so charismatic, so adept at projecting an aura of complete control and emotional detachment, that it sort of wiped those storylines out of my mind for a few minutes. Very excited about the JJ/Connor dynamic, the JJ/Mia dynamic, and about JJ as a villain in general. Arrow’s villains too often wind up playing a sort of teeth-gnashing chaotic evil thing, or a smarmy grandiose all-powerful thing. This was just a guy, in charge, with absolutely no concern for anyone or anything. Good stuff.

Edited by tv echo

No spoilers...

Exclusive: Arrow star responds to talk of a musical episode post-Crisis
BY SUSANNAH ALEXANDER AND DAVID OPIE   27/10/2019
https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a29600210/arrow-joseph-david-jones-connor-hawke-musical-episode-post-crisis/

With the eighth and final season of Arrow having recently kicked off, some fans have been wondering whether a musical episode of the show will ever materialise.
One thing is for sure, though: Joseph David-Jones, who plays Connor Hawke, would definitely be up for it.
The actor has already proven he can sing, having starred as Clayton Carter on musical drama Nashville, and he even has a solid idea for how the musical episode could come about.

"Oh god, a musical episode. That would be unbelievably awesome," Joseph David-Jones told Digital Spy. "I was on Nashville — Colton [Haynes, who plays Roy Harper] can sing, Juliana [Harkavy, who plays Dinah Drake] can sing… so many of us are musically inclined, so I would love to be in a musical episode.

"That would be hilarious…. Maybe we might fight the Music Meister or something like that."
Joseph also revealed that he wouldn't say no to reprising his Nashville role in the Broadway adaptation which is currently in development.

"Yeah I'd be down to be on Broadway… I'd be 110% down for that," he said. "It's every actor's dream to be on Broadway."

Arrow Season 8 Episode 2 Review: “Welcome to Hong Kong”
Chris King   October 28, 2019
https://ckinger13.wordpress.com/2019/10/28/arrow-season-8-episode-2-review-welcome-to-hong-kong/ 

The best acting Stephen Amell has done so far in this short season, and probably some of the most stellar work he has delivered in recent years on the series, occurs about midway through this week’s Arrow. Tatsu challenges Oliver’s commitment to his mission, questioning whether the objectives that The Monitor has given to him will truly make a difference and second-guessing his decision-making when it comes to supplying China White with the Alpha-Omega virus. He fires back at her, declaring that The Monitor’s plan has to be right because, if it isn’t, he would have left Felicity and his children, he and so many others would have sacrificed so much, “for nothing.” “I need my family to live, which is why I need this to work,” Oliver tells Tatsu. His response to her is filled with desperation and heartbreak, and Amell’s guttural delivery of the lines only amplify their emotional impact.

Furthermore, this exchange is so effective because of a small, quiet Oliver scene earlier in the episode, in which he picks up his wedding ring and places it back on his finger, allowing the memories of his and Felicity’s relationship to flood into his mind and heart. In many ways, it’s the polar opposite of Oliver’s speech to Tatsu; no words are spoken as we cut back and forth between a silent Oliver in the present and flashbacks to some of the most important moments in his and Felicity’s relationship. It’s short but powerful, and it visually reinforces Oliver’s words from earlier: He’s sacrificing being with his family to save his family—he needs this mission to work because, unlike the lone vigilante we first met at the beginning of the show’s run, he has people he loves, people he can lose, people who truly see and accept him for who he is still, who instill his life with meaning and make it worth living. It’s a wonderful reminder of how much Oliver’s character has grown from Arrow Season 1 and of how, even though Emily Bett Rickards is no longer a series regular on the show this season, Felicity’s presence and spirit are still very much a major piece of Arrow‘s DNA.
Absolutely love how self-aware, funny, and heartfelt this Oliver/Diggle exchange is: Dig: “You shouldn’t blame yourself, man.” Oliver: “Well, what about my behavior over the past seven years has given you the impression that I would?”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Arrow Review: Leap of Faith (Season 8 Episode 3)
October 30, 2019 Brianna Martinez
https://telltaletv.com/2019/10/arrow-review-leap-of-faith-season-8-episode-3/ 

Oliver and Thea’s cliffside chat is a beautiful moment that illustrates how much the Queen siblings have been changed by everything that’s happened to them since they last saw each other.

Oliver having to leave his family, something that heartbreakingly remains with him, and seeing Thea not exist on Earth-2 seems to be enough to kick up his protective instincts and add another level of heaviness to him, something that even Talia takes notes before she double-crosses him.

The resignation feels heavier with each new episode, adding a level of weariness in the face of the non-answers he’s getting. Talia even notes that there’s a heaviness to him that she hasn’t seen in Oliver even in Russia.
Mia and William’s moment before everything goes wrong for FTA is heartwarming and bittersweet. Mia’s comment about William being the only family she has left goes back to something I noted on Arrow Season 8 Episode 2, “Welcome to Hong Kong,” as William’s life seemingly was hanging in the balance.
Ben Lewis and Katherine McNamara played the absolute devastation of losing one of their own so well. You can’t help but feel Mia and William’s heartbreak about losing Zoe. Connor’s pure, unadulterated anger at what JJ did to Zoe and how much damage his brother has caused is played so well by Joseph David Jones.

FTA bring it at that moment as they express distinct levels of shock, anger, and sadness at an aspect of the reality of what they’ve taken on, and it’s executed so well.
William’s moment of realization at seeing Oliver in front of him for the first time in 20 years, paired with Mia’s disbelief at seeing her dad packs a wallop. It says it all in their faces.  
That phoenix imagery was clearly on display throughout the hour on Oliver’s trip to Nanda Parbat. Of course, given what the imagery signifies, I can’t help but be curious about the connotations of the usage.

Edited by tv echo

It's Ben Turner...

Arrow: Season 8, Episode 3 - "Leap of Faith" Review
By Jesse Schedeen   29 Oct 2019
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/10/30/arrow-season-8-episode-3-leap-of-faith-review 

The fundamental flaw with "Leap of Faith" is that it never really feels all that necessary to the bigger picture that is Crisis. Sure, it ties up plenty of random loose ends and serves as the swan song for characters like Willa Holland's Thea and Lexa Doig's Talia, but for the most part, it all feels more like obligatory housekeeping than dramatically rich material. Thea already got a perfectly decent sendoff last season. Sure, the show purposely left the Thanatos Guild subplot hanging to be picked up down the road, but it's not a thread that was exactly crying out to be addressed. Certainly not like, say, the unresolved fates of Slade Wilson or Brock Turner.
The Diggle/Lyla subplot is equally bland. Rather than address the expected but very welcome twist about Lyla's connection to the Monitor, this episode settles for recycling Diggle's struggle with PTSD and kinda/sorta setting the stage for the couple's decision to adopt Connor. Without Michael Jai White's Brock Turner in the picture, that seems a pointless endeavor. And here again, the end result feels more like housework than necessary storytelling.
Most frustrating of all, "Leap of Faith" pays tribute to some iconic Season 2 and 3 moments without actually capturing what made them resonate so strongly in the first place. For example, this episode hearkens back to 2014's "The Climb" and Ollie's dramatic duel with Ra's. That episode was a beacon of light in a troubled season, using that duel and Ollie's literal and metaphorical fall as fuel for one of the better (and more literal) cliffhangers in the show's history. But while "Leap of Faith" acknowledges that cliffhanger as Ollie and Thea climb that same mountainside, there's little care paid to the significance of that duel and how it shaped Ollie's journey in Season 3. It's treated more as a fun trip down memory lane.

Edited by tv echo

‘Arrow’ 8×03 Review: “Leap of Faith”
Raquel   October 30, 2019
https://fangirlish.com/2019/10/30/leap-faith-arrow-review/ 

The trip to Nanda Parbat brings with it the meeting of the Queen siblings, who remain as cute as ever. The first thing Oliver does is show her the picture of Felicity and Mia, worn out from all the times he’s pulled it out. He shows her the photo with pride, and with an infinite love.

And they talk about the importance of Mia’s name, it’s for Moira but also for Thea. Oliver and Felicity wanted to pay tribute to two of the most important people in their lives and two of the most loved people for Oliver. And it is beautiful. Oliver speaks of his family with pride, with love, but also with nostalgia … he would not want anything else in the world than to be with them now, by their side … but he cannot do it, and that is killing him.
But Oliver, even if he gets on our nerves with these things, we love him precisely for them. When he explains to Thea his reasons everything makes sense. With the voice torn with pain and with tears in his eyes, he confesses to Thea everything he keeps for himself. Leaving his family has been the most difficult of all he has done, he misses them so much …
This is the moment when Thea talks about their parents. They did a lot of bad things … but they protected them the only way they knew. They are who they are today in large part because of their parents. Oliver may not be 100% sure that everyone is safe, simply because no one can. No one knows the future or what can happen but what Oliver can be sure of is that his sacrifice will be worth it. His children, Felicity and herself will be different people thanks to his sacrifice.

This scene has reminded me both of Diggle and Oliver … Mia is like her father, willing to protect everyone she loves and Zoey is the voice of her conscience, the voice of reason when dark fear fills the mind and heart of Mia, just like Diggle always does with Oliver.

Special mention to the little winks to Felicity of her two children, that “oh, frack!” by Mia, or the detail of the electrified floor. I confess that those little moments give me LIFE.
Zoey’s murder is a blow to everyone … but they can’t assimilate it. Suddenly, they are in the bunker … but in 2019 Star City, right in front of their parents. This scene is SPECTACULAR. I CAN’T STOP SCREAMING.

It was a long-awaited moment that I didn’t think was going to arrive before the crossover, but here we are. Mia’s voice inflection asking “Dad?” is a mixture of so many things. It is a mixture of surprise, confusion, longing and … hope. Mia has always wanted to meet her father, to know how he was, just … to hug him. But she has never been able to do it. She has always heard her mother talk about him with so much love, she has always seen how others admired him and she longed to meet him, she longed for him to love her as much as he loved his mother and the city for which he sacrificed.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

REVIEW: ‘Arrow,’ Season 8, Episode 3 – “Leap Of Faith”
10/31/2019 - by Charlie Ashby
https://butwhythopodcast.com/2019/10/31/review-arrow-season-8-episode-3-leap-of-faith/

The key theme for the episode, and presumably the entire season, is the fear of losing family and can be seen throughout all three key plots. Oliver continues to be overprotective of Thea and remains guilt-ridden for leaving his family, Diggle struggles with the aftermath of the Earth-2 incident and fears losing Lyla on the mission, and Mia Smoak (Katherine McNamara) fears losing her brother William (Ben Lewis). Katherine McNamara and Ben Lewis do such a great job at replicating a similar dynamic Oliver and Felicity which harkens back to earlier seasons, with their characters’ struggles being deep-rooted in the direct aftermath of Crisis. Mia and William are from the future, so they already live in pain caused by the death of their father in the Crisis event, not to mention the emotional toll it must have also taken on Felicity. It’s interesting to see the mirror between Oliver’s worries and the reality that is the future.

Edited by tv echo