Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

(edited)

No spoilers quoted below...

INTERVIEW: David Ramsey On Arrow’s ‘Crazy’ Final Season
Written by Dan Cribb -  June 26, 2019
https://www.supanova.com.au/interview-david-ramsey-on-arrows-crazy-final-season/

The airdate for Arrow’s eighth and final season had just been locked down when Supa-Star David Ramsey, a.k.a. one of pop culture most-beloved sidekicks, John Diggle, picked up the phone, describing the announcement as “bittersweet”.

“Anyone on television that does seven or eight seasons is very fortunate, very lucky,” he offered.
“Stephen [Amell] told me that he had taken the character as far as he could. Actor to actor, that is something that really punches you, and if you really have taken the character as far as you can take it, then now you’re just doing it to make money or please the family or whatever, and you really are in danger of overstaying your welcome.”

“I think it was a bold choice, but it was an honest choice, so I applaud him for that.”
“Let’s talk about Green Arrow for a second; he’s not Superman, he’s not Batman, he’s not Wonder Woman, he’s not Aquaman. He’s not in the top ten DC comic book characters,” Ramsey says.

“It’s tough to imagine now, but back in 2012, you would have thought of Green Arrow as a B character, not the A character.”

Before he signed on for Arrow, Ramsey found himself in Miami, portraying Anton Briggs in beloved Showcase cult hit Dexter, and despite leaving the show in season four, the actor continued to watch until the polarising finale.
“When I watched it, I was a bit deflated… there was something anticlimactic about the ending in general. So, I felt the same [as] a lot of people did. But then I thought, ‘What do you do with a guy like this?’ It’s either you kill him or you make him a lumberjack in Alaska.”
He might be most well known for his time on Dexter and Arrow, but Ramsey tells aspiring actors that every role matters.

“Anything can happen. Greg Berlanti saw me in Blue Bloods – that’s how I got Arrow.”

“Just don’t take anything for granted, do your best work and try to be the best version of yourself you can, because you have no idea what’s shaping up in places that you can’t see.”

“We’re going to our eighth season, and I swear it feels like it’s only been four seasons.”

“To be totally honest with you, more than John Diggle, more than anything else, what I’m going to miss is working with the people I’m working with. Just enjoy what you do.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

HEY, CW, GIVE US THAT NEXT-GEN ORIGINAL TEAM ARROW SPINOFF 
ALYSSA BARBIERI   JUNE 27, 2019
http://fangirlish.com/hey-cw-give-me-that-next-gen-original-team-arrow-spinoff/

I might’ve given up on Arrow what else would you expect with the departure of Felicity Smoak — but that doesn’t mean I’m done with the Arrowverse. And I’m not just talking about current shows still airing, like The Flash, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow.

In fact, I specifically want to see more from the Arrow world. Well, from the future Arrow world. Specifically, the next generation of Original Team Arrow.
The thing about television is that, despite the long-running nature of shows, particularly on The CW, is that eventually it fades. It becomes gradually worse as producers run out of story ideas, when characters fulfill their journeys and when there’s a pressure to keep it going despite that.

Arrow has suffered from that. It’s suffered from expired storylines, an overabundance of characters, plot-driven storylines and the pressure to exist for The CW’s annual crossover event.

In fact, Stephen Amell recently said that, for him, Arrow ended after season 7. Basically, they decided to bring Arrow back for a final season to set-up the epic Crisis on Infinite Earths. You know, the crossover where they’re probably going to kill Oliver Queen despite everything he’s done as a character and for this Arrowverse.
As far as I’m concerned, there’s only one spinoff we’re talking about here. And that’s Next-Generation Original Team Arrow. Or Original Team Arrow 2.0.
Oliver and Felicity’s kids, Mia and William, and Diggle’s son, Connor. God, it was the rebirth of Original Team Arrow. It was the Next Generation of OTA.

Everything about them was perfect. From the look right down to their roles on the team. Mia was Oliver, the skilled fighter and leader. William was Felicity, the tech guru that’s sure to make you laugh. Connor was Diggle, also a skilled fighter and reliable right-hand man.

Oh, and the romance tease with Mia and Connor? Sweet lord. The chemistry. ALREADY.
An OTP on OTA? It’s inevitable.
The same would go for Next-Gen Team Arrow. It would be Mia, William and Connor’s stories, with stories and teases of their parents woven through. It’d be a great way to explore their childhood — which hopefully isn’t this current, depressing-as-hell reality Arrow created last season.

The thing that made Arrow the success that it was is the dynamic between Oliver, Felicity and Diggle. They’re the heart of the show. They’ve always been the heart of the show.

And if The CW green-lights a Next-Gen Team Arrow spinoff, Mia, William and Connor would be the heart of it.
I can only hope that, if it does happen, that whoever runs this series learns from Arrow‘s mistakes. That just when things are starting to click, don’t forget the heart of show. Give us those dynamics. Give us those moments.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

From uInterview's interview with EBR on June 26...

'Arrow' Star Emily Bett Rickards Bio: In Her Own Words
Published on Jun 28, 2019, by uinterview

-- On what was her first acting experience, EBR: "Well, I wanted to be an actor when I was a kid, so my parents put me in musical theater briefly, though I wasn't - I wasn't like a shining star - like, I wasn't a prodigy. Like, I'm still thinking, like, ' maybe I - maybe I shoulda done just that.' Um, but I just always loved it. We did - I think we did, like, Oliver and Pippi Longstocking and Peter Pan and all these sort of like fanatical children's stories. We brought them to life and... that's always something I knew I wanted to do."

-- EBR: "Our school stuff was not good. No one should ever see it. We were just f**kin' around. (Laughs) Like, trying to shoot things in French. No one could speak French. You know, all that stuff."

-- On what projects she's working on next, EBR: "I think I'm going to take a little bit of a travel break. I would love to go to Israel. I'd love to go to Alaska. And I'd love to go to Patagonia. So just really like a triangle of - which you really can't do all in one trip, I'm slowly starting to see. Um, but yeah, those are three - I mean, I want to go everywhere, so it's a little bit hard to pick and choose. If someone was like, 'hey, it'd be really easy for you to go to Japan,' I'd be like, 'fantastic.'"

-- EBR: "I love Peru. I love Peru. I thought it was such a fantastic country. Um, I love Spain. I love Iceland. I've been to Australia a few times. I think Peru is still my favorite trip to date. Cuba. ... The color - I mean, everyone was so rich in color and this idea that once you were there for awhile, you were - I feel like your time slowed down. And that was like, coming into the culture was sort of like that pace of life. And accepting that really made you look around and sort of absorb this color palette you were in."

'Arrow' Star Emily Bett Rickards On Her Play 'Reborning'
Published on Jun 28, 2019, by uinterview

-- On whether she prefers stage over TV, EBR: "Yeah. I do now. I think my love for theater was always there and since doing this show [Reborning], you know, there's - it's not just a love so much anymore as it is an actual need. It's - it's just a need now... It would be hard, I think, to, you know, to switch that back to only doing TV, which, um, is such a great medium as well. But this ability to, you know, use this rehearsal space and this time, which we're not always blessed with when you do TV - not always, anyway. That time really gives you sort of this meat and this understanding and this way to build and discover and really sort of excavate these layers of these people that you're trying to take on or host their life."

-- EBR: "I love comedy, so really that is such a - you have to rely so much on the writing, I think, in that, and then, you know, transfer it off the page and to the actor and the director. Um, I just came from Strand* about 15 new plays and I'm like, whoo - ones I haven't read before, just pulling them off the shelf, just wondering, you know, if you're going to find a gem in there. And I think, you - you know, it's sort of - it's where it starts, is on the page and the writing, so you really have to go, like, go in for that writing, and then, you know, who you connect with and who you - who you can sort of picture connecting with outside of it and collaborating with everyone around it. It's very fun."

(* I think she said "Strand," which might refer to the Strand Book Store on Broadway in NYC, but I'm not sure.)

ETA: Transcription of her Reborning comments are posted in the Arrow Stars in Other Roles thread.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

What’s the Future of Arrowverse on Netflix?
by Kasey Moore  June 28, 2019
https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/whats-the-future-of-arrowverse-on-netflix/

The Arrowverse’s future on Netflix (at least in the United States) has now been secured going forward post-2019. Here’s what’s going to happen to your favorite Arrowverse shows on Netflix including Arrow, Black Lightning, Legends of Tomorrow, The Flash and Supergirl. 

Let’s set the stage for a second. All the shows listed above, air on The CW and are produced by Warner Brothers pictures. From 2013, Netflix has had a deal with The CW whereby all of The CW’s library comes to Netflix.

Up until 2016, The CW library on Netflix got refreshed every October. From 2016 up until early 2019, new series arrived on Netflix roughly a week after it finished airing. Again, this covered all shows The CW outputs.

Moving forward, however, that won’t apply to new shows. That means Batwoman season 1, which is in the Arrowverse, won’t automatically come to Netflix.
Are any Arrowverse titles leaving Netflix?
Not for a while. Arrow is likely going to be the first title to be leaving given the series is coming to an end this year.

Once season 8 comes to Netflix in 2020. It’ll then take a few years for Netflix to then lose the license and therefore be removed.

All of the other shows don’t have end dates as of yet.

Will new seasons of Arrowverse titles keep coming to Netflix?
Absolutely with that key exception we mentioned above. We’ll be covering shows individually when the next season will be available but it should stick to the existing deal whereby new seasons come a week after they wrap up.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
On 6/25/2019 at 8:15 AM, tv echo said:

Smallville's Tom Welling Says He Would Love to Do an Episode of ARROW... As Batman
by Jessica Fisher   June 26, 2019
https://geektyrant.com/news/smallvilles-tom-welling-says-he-would-love-to-do-an-episode-of-arrow-as-batman 

Smallville Star Tom Welling Likes the Idea of Playing Batman in The CW's ArrowVerse
JEREMY DICK— June 24th, 2019
https://tvweb.com/arrowverse-batman-tom-welling/

Welling would have to hit the gym to be able to play Batman or Bruce Wayne.  He was finally looking his age in Lucifer.  Not bad, just not Batman levels.

(edited)

Eh 😐...

5 Reasons Why You Can’t Afford To Miss Arrow This Season
By Shantanu Pandey  June 30, 2019
https://thedigitalweekly.com/2019/06/30/5-reasons-why-you-cant-afford-to-miss-arrow-this-season/

#1. If you’re a fan of Stephen Amell, then you don’t need any more reasons to watch it. Because you will see Stephen at its best in this series. Stephen put a whole lot of effort to get into a shape of the vigilante, and he also gets the training in mixed martial arts and archery.

#2. Arrow also features some scenes of the Stephen performing exercises like a salmon ladder, archery, weight lifting which is a visual treat for the viewers.

#3. Arrow is not only about seeing Stephen aka Oliver queen perdoperfo [sic] action but also the breathtaking story plot. You will witness a whole lot of suspense in this series. You just can’t predict what’s going to happen next in the show and that is why it’s the best show you will ever see.
#4. It’s not only about the actors who acted really well but also about the direction of the show which is a visual treat. All the action scenes are captured by the different angles to give you the best experience.

#5. The monologue is one of the things why this show received so much recognition. The monologue performed by the Stephen at the beginning of each episode sets the mood for all the action you’re going to witness

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

‘Arrow’ season 7: The 5 best moments of Mia Smoak
Lynsey Neill    July 2, 2019
https://www.purefandom.com/2019/07/02/arrow-season-7-the-5-best-moments-of-mia-smoak/ 

...: Mia Smoak is very badass, and a lot of her best moments have to do with her impeccable badassness and genetics.
#5 Nyssa Al Ghul, Daughter of The Demon, Training our Future Superhero (7×16)
#4 “Take care of mom” (7×22)
#3 The Mother-Daughter Chat (7×16)
mia-ah-maa-zing.gif

This scene was one of the more emotionally resonate of the season. It’s Mia trying to understand Felicity’s point of view, while giving insight into Mia’s motivations, which at the time were ambiguous.

As Felicity says, “Mia, you are so much like your father,” I cry… every time.

Mia has a newfound understanding and respect for her mother here, and that’s something we can all relate too. Being so mad at your parent(s) then looking back retrospectively at their sacrifices and humanity simultaneously softens and strengthens them in your eyes.

And as Felicity says, “I’m so proud of you,” I cry, obviously. But I also find joy in the fact that that’s one affirmation we all crave to hear from our parents, or from the adults that shape our lives the most.

#2 “Hi” (7×16)
#1 Cloak Tricks (7×16)
mia-blackstargifs-1.gif

This is Mia Smoak’s top moment because this was her chance to step up to the bat. While she dismantled a large group of grown men (and still could of had time to file her nails) we got to see the extent of Mia’s skills. As she seamlessly caught the bow and fired off her arrow, hood up, we were reminded of Oliver Queen, and how we wish he was there.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

19 Times Love Unleashed Evil
Rachel Foertsch at July 2, 2019
https://www.tvfanatic.com/slideshows/19-times-love-unleashed-evil/ 

Love may turn people into heroes, but it can also turn them into villains. 

There are many television characters who undergo complete transformations for a person they care about, but the change isn't always a postive one.
2. Slade Wilson - Arrow
Slade's feelings for Shado, while real, inspired him to do some pretty horrific things. He blamed Oliver for Shado's death and kidnapped the woman he loved in order to inflict the same pain that he felt all those years ago.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Another (short) clip from EBR's interview with uInterview was posted...

Emily Bett Rickards Reveals Her Favorite Video Games – How To Win At Them
Published on Jul 3, 2019, by uInterview

-- On her favorite videogames, EBR: "Mortal Kombat and Left for Dead. ... They were games I sort of grew up on. They were, like, button-smashing games. And then, you know, they were sort of like great games to come home and play with your friends and also, just like aggression games, you know, get it all out... My best friend and I used to have dinner night and just play, like, Mortal Kombat until we were both too tired to do anything else. Good way to spend your time, you know. Educational."

-- On her game strategies, EBR: "Distract the other person with jokes, while you're playing. And that usually works.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Just goes to show how subjective the "because comics" argument is - If you like what Arrow did, then you're okay with the change, even though it deviates from the comics. But if you don't like what the TV show did, then you're not okay with the change just because it deviates from the comics...

Arrow: 5 Changes Made To Connor Hawke For The Better (& 5 For The Worse)
by Mariana Fernandes  – on Jul 03, 2019
https://www.cbr.com/arrow-connor-hawke-differences-better-worse/ 

With the eighth and final season of the show set to premier later this year, the character of Connor Hawke has been promoted to series regular. While we still haven't gotten the chance to get to know the character deeper, there are already hints of a few changes the show made in regards to his comic-book counterpart. With this in mind, let's take a look at five changes that were made for the best, and five for the worst.
10 BETTER: HIS INVOLVEMENT WITH THE JUSTICE LEAGUE
9 WORST: HIS PAST
Which is, indeed, a pity. While Connor Hawke isn't extremely well-known to everyone, fans who took the time to change that, quickly loved him. Connor has an extremely interesting past, one that is directly connected with Green Arrow, and it's a shame that the show hasn't given this to us just yet.

8 BETTER: HIS SUIT
7 WORST: HIS ABILITIES
6 BETTER: HIS PHYSICAL APPEARANCE
5 WORST: HIS POTENTIAL FUTURE
It's been since confirmed that the potential future we saw him in was never realized, and the person we are seeing on Arrow is not the same we saw on Legends, which just made the first introduction pointless, confusing fans quite a bit.

4 BETTER: HIS TEMPER
In the comics, Connor Hawke has such a volatile temper (and probably abandonment issues) that his own mother doesn't know what to do with him. He was impulsive and somewhat uncontrollable, so much so that she sent him to the Ashram Monastery, the same Oliver had attended for a time. Probably best to leave the exaggerated attitude in the comics.

3 WORST: HIS SUPERPOWERS
Hawke also has the power of regenerative healing, which keeps him strong and healthy, gives him tolerance to pain, and accelerative healing of wounds. On top of that, he's also clairvoyant, having visions about several key moments.

2 BETTER: HIS ADOPTION
1 WORST: HIS PARENTAGE
... In the comics, Connor Hawke is actually the biological son of Oliver Queen, the Green Arrow himself. He was conceived when Oliver was in college, before becoming the Green Arrow.

It would be virtually impossible to make him the son of Oliver, especially once Mia got into the picture. However, it's definitely a shame that one of the most defining characteristics of the character didn't make onto the screen, especially considering all the amazing storylines that could have come out of it.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

'Arrow' actor Michael Rowe teases Deadshot return: 'He’s still out there lurking around in the shadows somewhere'
By Remus Noronha  Jul 6, 2019
https://meaww.com/arrow-cw-deadshot-could-be-still-alive 

Speaking in an exclusive interview with MEA WorldWide the Canadian actor said, "I don’t think that Deadshot died on Earth One in Arrow. He’s still out there lurking around in the shadows somewhere."
"I guess the possibility of him returning can happen multiple ways in a universe like that," he explained further. "There are many interesting stories you could tell. I’ve moved on from that character, but I’d consider dusting off the eyepatch if DC gave the green light on a potential return. It’s too bad that business often gets in the way of art in the film and TV industry. If Deadshot is dead, it’s the business that killed him... not the explosion."
"I’m proud of the work I did on Arrow," Rowe said. "I’m one of the OGs. Deadshot was the second villain to ever appear in the series. I think that show was important. There were no other Superhero shows on TV at the time. Arrow showed that you could now do some really cool digital effects on a TV budget because technology had caught up to our imaginations. Look at the number of comic book properties on TV now. Even just look at the Arrowverse and all the spinoff shows. I like to think I played a small part in that. But all good things must come to an end. I wish the cast and crew all the best in whatever comes next for them."

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Article includes video clips of scenes mentioned...

Five Awesome Fight Scenes From Arrow 
Tom  July 7, 2019
https://www.tvovermind.com/five-awesome-fight-scenes-from-arrow/

4. Russia Fight
You don’t always see Arrow using guns since his bow and edged weapons seem to be his preferred method, but there are times that one has to use what they have in order to get the job done, and Oliver is just as skilled at pulling the trigger and overwhelming a bunch of trigger-happy thugs as he at using his bow. Watching him move is almost like watching the priests in the movie Equilibrium as the gun kata might be mostly made up but it does seem to have filtered down throughout the years into many different forms that may or may not have been taken into consideration for various shows.
1. Arrow vs. Ra’s Al Ghul
This is probably one of the only times that Ra’s Al Ghul has been given a fair treatment in media since in Batman Forever he was a great fighter, but he wasn’t shown to be especially vicious as he is here. In this version he seems to be playing with Oliver before he finally puts him down. Of course as Adam Holmes of Cinema Blend wrote years ago he wasn’t dead, and there were reasons for it, but in this instant you can imagine a lot of Arrow fans felt their breath leave them in a sudden gasp as Oliver was kicked off the ledge, supposedly well on his way to the afterlife. But then again if you’ve been reading comics for long enough you know that heroes and major villains aren’t just offed that easy.

5. Divided (6x09 and 6x10)
4. Russia Fight (5x11)
3. Arrow vs. China White (1x02)
2. Arrow vs. Deathstroke (2x23)
1. Arrow vs. Ra’s Al Ghul (3x09)

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Yet another video clip from EBR's interview with uInterview (3 other video clips from this interview are posted in this thread above)...

Emily Bett Rickards On 'Arrow'
Published on Jul 8, 2019, by uInterview

-- On how she would explain her Arrow character, Felicity, EBR: "You know, she was such a character that wore herself so much on her sleeves. She was always so genuine to me. I don't think that she held much back. And also, that's why I kind of fell in love with her in the first place. She was so genuine and so, you know, just trying to put her best foot forward, um, all the time. You know, she woke up every day being, like, I'm going to be a good person today. And she made a million mistakes, but she would always try. And I really - I love that about her. I mean, I miss her - I've been missing her for years. So, um, to miss her now and talk about her like she's in the past is always like a little bit, um, different. But the - but the fans know her as well as I do. I mean, I get to live her sometimes, or got to, I guess. But I think that, you know, wherever she is, she's happy."

-- On what she will remember most from the TV series, Arrow, EBR: "Well, you know, I started when I was 20. So, seven years later, I still kind of - the potent parts - I mean, a lot of it is potent, but Seasons 1 and 2, like, I was 21 and 22, and I was learning so much and continued to, you know, just gather all of this education in that seven years. Um, and the whole show - I mean, the whole show taught me, you know, pretty much all of the things that I have learned now. That being said, it's really, like, the people you met along the way and they've, like, really became my family. So the things that I remember are sort of like things off set and like getting to sit, you know, and learning about camera and learning behind village* and watching my fellow cast mates act. And, like, everyone's sort of this orchestra of a machine, just putting together to make a TV show, every week, every single week for 10 months. And our crew is phenomenal. There is nobody that works harder than they do. Um, yeah, I miss them."

(* I had to Google this term. Apparently, "'video village' is the nickname for the area around the monitor on set. It earned this name because of the amount of people that tend to form around the tiny screen(s)." The camera assistant is most likely to be put in charge of the video village. - Source)

-- On whether she has a favorite Arrow episode, EBR: "I don't remember the numbers as well as Stephen does. He's like a genius with that stuff. But I got to play two Felicitys at once. I had - like, we call her 'Goth Felicity,' um, as she was hallucinating on these pain meds. That was really interesting, as we had this incredible machine in and had to, you know, sort of double on screen. And my friend Ali, who's a phenomenal actor, was working with me, um, as like to do all their shoulder and stuff, and I wouldn't be able to do it without her. Um, that was a really cool episode to shoot. But then, like, the things in Season 1, where we're jumping over elevator shafts. And then, you know, after coming home from a trip and, like, going straight to work and then working with, you know, everyone we were on a trip with, like, those episodes were amazing 'cause everyone, like, comes from a weekend, like, comes in - it's like 'wow, this thing that we're making, like, we're all in it together!' And everyone's just like on the bandwagon to go."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
On 7/11/2019 at 2:50 PM, Featherhat said:

Thanks. Well that's not surprising, especially considering the SDCC cast invitees, although I'm curious about Ben Lewis now. TBA or just recurring again?

With the shortened season, so they might go either way but I would love to lock him down for every flashforward no matter how brief an appearance they might need him for.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm a Capricorn - and I'm happy with my Felicity moment...

Here’s which Felicity Smoak moment goes with your zodiac sign
Lynsey Neill   July 14, 2019
https://www.purefandom.com/2019/07/14/heres-which-felicity-smoak-moment-goes-with-your-zodiac-sign/

Capricorn
December 22 – January 19

“Felicity? Did you just hack into—”
“I’m gonna stop you right there. Yes.”

fs-smoak.gif

venuskara.tumblr.com

Capricorn’s embody Felicity hacking into… everything. How can one choose just ONE moment when Felicity was a hacker-goddess-genius? One CAN’T. She’s a hacker-goddess-genius during every moment she draws breath. Capricorn’s are disciplined, responsible, and are good leaders. I know what you’re thinking. What exactly is disciplined and responsible about hacking into secret government agencies? Well, I’ll tell you. It’s not in the act itself, it’s more so that Felicity’s dedication to her craft is admirable. And when she excels at it, Capricorn’s everywhere bless our soil for harvest.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Happy with mine too.

Pisces

February 19 – March 20

The Notebook (2012)image.png.9bf3cde8441473b1c794d594cbe3c744.png

smoakmonster.tumblr.com

Ah, rainy confessions at the local burger joint. It was in classic Pisces fashion that Felicity brought the notebook to Oliver. The nuance of this scene is what makes it so memorable. Felicity is shy about maybe knowing something about Oliver’s family that he doesn’t, but even knowing that, she so subtly and respectfully commands respect and the truth. Pisces are intuitive, compassionate, and wise. Everything about Felicity in this scene exemplifies a Pisces best qualities.

• Love 1

But there’s one integral cast member who won’t be around to see Arrow through its final season. This spring, fans were devastated to learn Rickards had filmed her final episode—bringing an end to Olicity. “They’re such opposites. I think that’s what draws everyone in a little bit,” showrunner Beth Schwartz says of Oliver and Felicity’s relationship. “You don’t see the [love story of] super intelligent woman and the sort of hunky, athletic man very often. She’s obviously a gorgeous woman but what he really loves is her brain.” For his part, Amell believes the success of both Felicity and Olicity lies completely with Rickards’ performance. “She’s supremely talented and awesome and carved out a space that no one anticipated. I don’t know that show works if we don’t randomly find her,” says Amell, adding that continuing the series without Team Arrow’s heart is “not great. Arrow, as you know it, has effectively ended. It’s a different show in season 8.” And he’s not exaggerating.

Stephen being Emily's biggest fan will always be my favorite thing. ❤️

• Love 10
(edited)

Quoted some non-spoilery portions from the EW article...

How Arrow saved the TV superhero — and why it had to end
Chancellor Agard    July 17, 2019
https://ew.com/comic-con/2019/07/17/arrow-final-season-cover-story/  

“I’m very emotional and melancholy, but it’s time,” Amell — who is featured on the new cover of Entertainment Weekly — says as he takes a sip from a pint of Guinness. “I’m 38 years old, and I got this job when I was 30. I’d never had a job for more than a year. The fact that I’ve done this for the better part of a decade, and I’m not going to do it anymore, is a little frightening.”
Developed by Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim, and Andrew Kreisberg, Arrow debuted in the fall of 2012. The DC Comics series follows billionaire playboy Oliver Queen (Amell), who, after years away, returned to now–Star City with one goal: to save his home-town as the hooded bow-and-arrow vigilante who would become known as Green Arrow (it would take him four seasons to assume the moniker). What began as a solo crusade eventually grew to include former soldier John Diggle (David Ramsey), quirky computer genius Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards), lawyer-turned-hero Laurel Lance/Black Canary (Katie Cassidy Rodgers), and the rest of Team Arrow. Together they’ve defended their city from a host of threats — dark archers, megalomaniacal magicians, and the occasional metahuman — while Lost-like flashbacks revealed what Oliver endured in the five years he was away, first shipwrecked and then honing his skills around the world to become someone else, something else.
Their take on the Emerald Archer — who made his DC Comics debut in 1941 — was noteworthy from the beginning. Taking cues from films like The Dark Knight and The Bourne Identity and series like Homeland, the writers imagined a dark, gritty, and grounded show centered on a traumatized protagonist. “As we were breaking the story, we made very specific commitments to certain tonal things, such as ‘At the end of act 1, he has his hands around his mother’s throat.’ And, ‘At the end of act 2, he kills a man in cold blood to protect his secret,’ ” says Guggenheim.
Not that the team wasn’t meticulous about creating Green Arrow’s cowl. “We had to have so many conversations to get it approved, but that’s why we got [Oscar winner] Colleen Atwood [Memoirs of a Geisha] at the time to [design] the suit,” says Berlanti. “We were determined to show we could do on TV what they were doing in the movies every six months.”
“It’s really easy to make a guy with a bow and arrow look silly. We sweated every detail,” says Guggenheim, who also recalls how much effort it took to perfect Oliver’s signature growl. “I actually flew up to Vancouver. On a rooftop during reshoots on [episode 4], Stephen and I went through a variety of different versions of, basically, ‘You have failed this city,’ with different amounts of how much growl he’s putting into his performance. [We] recorded all that, [I went] back to Los Angeles, and then sat with the post guys playing around with all the different amounts of modulation.”

That process took eons compared to the unbelievably easy time the team had casting Arrow’s title role. In fact, Amell was the first person to audition for the role. “It was Stephen’s intensity. He just made you believe he was that character,” says Guggenheim, recalling Amell’s audition. “We had crafted Oliver to be this mystery box character, and Stephen somehow managed to find this balance between being totally accessible in a way you would need a TV star to be, but he’s still an enigma.” After his first reading, Amell remembers being sent outside for a short time before being brought back into the room to read for a larger group: “I called [my manager], and I go, ‘I know this is not how it’s supposed to work, but I just got that job.’”
Also not planned: Arrow spawning an entire shared universe. “We went on record a lot of times during the premiere of the pilot saying, ‘No superpowers, no time travel.’ But midway through season 1, Greg started to harbor a notion of doing the Flash,” says Guggenheim. “I’m a very big believer that it’s great to have a plan, but I think when it comes to creating a universe, the pitfall is that people try to run before they can walk. The key is, you build it show by show.” And so they did. First, they introduced The Flash star Grant Gustin’s Barry Allen in the two-part midseason finale of Arrow’s second season. From there, Supergirl took flight in 2015, then DC’s Legends of Tomorrow in 2016, and Batwoman is due this fall. “It’s like the hacking of the machete in the woods and then you look back and you’re like, ‘Oh, there’s a path,” says executive producer and Berlanti Productions president Sarah Schechter. But even though Arrow is the universe’s namesake, Amell doesn’t concern himself with the sibling series outside of the now-annual crossovers. “I never think about any of the other shows,” he says. “I want all of them to do great, but they’re not my responsibility. My responsibility is Arrow, and to make sure everyone from the cast to the crew are good.” His sentiments are seconded by Flash’s Gustin: “I don’t understand how he does it — his schedule that he maintains with working out, the conventions he goes to, the passion he has for it, and the love he shows towards fans. He’s always prepared. He cares more about that show being high quality than anybody else on the set.”
It was midway through season 6 when Amell realized he was ready to hang up Oliver Queen’s hood. “It was just time to move on,” the actor says of pitching that Oliver leave the series at the end of season 7. “My daughter is turning six in October, and she goes to school in L.A., and my wife and I want to raise her [there].” Berlanti persuaded him to return for one final season, which the producers collectively decided would be the end. “We all felt in our gut it was the right time,” says Berlanti. Adds Schechter, “It’s such a privilege to be able to say when something’s ending as opposed to having something just ripped away.”

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

How EW got those super Arrowverse covers for Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, and more
By Sydney Bucksbaum July 17, 2019
https://ew.com/comic-con/2019/07/17/story-behind-arrowverse-covers/  

The stars of the Arrowverse — Arrow‘s Stephen Amell, The Flash‘s Grant Gustin, Supergirl‘s Melissa Benoist, Legends of Tomorrow‘s Caity Lotz and Batwoman‘s Ruby Rose — may be joining up for the first ever five-show crossover later this year, but EW gathered them together first for our August cover … and it turned out super (sorry). But while fans have seen these superheroes achieve the impossible in comic books and on TV thanks to CGI and special effects added in digitally, we wanted to do … something else.

“Because this was our first monthly issue we wanted to come out swinging, put our best foot forward and do something that hasn’t really been done before,” EW Photo Editor Alison Wild says. “Carlos Serrao is a famous and iconic photographer known for his active photography so we wanted to think of something that was true to the EW brand but also explosive. We wanted to produce something that will stay around for a while and be hopefully remembered in a good way as EW’s first monthly … and showing off what these people can do. They do their own stunts, they can pull this stuff off so we wanted to do as much in camera as possible – they’re actually superheroes!”

Instead of shooting the Arrowverse stars in poses and adding in special effects after the fact like bullets and knives flying through the air, the team behind the covers decided to do everything authentically. So everything you see in the cover photos was actually there on set, no extra CGI or photoshop needed.
“They wanted it to feel more in camera and organic because a lot of times especially with superhero shows, movies and posters there seems to be a lot of heavy, heavy retouching,” Serrao says. “It almost becomes an illustration because the subject matter is superheroes doing superhuman things. We wanted to do as much in camera as possible with the effects. The motion, shutter drags, coloring and lighting was all done in camera so it feels more grounded. When you look at it, it just doesn’t feel like it was composited in post-production.”
Because Serrao works a lot with athletes, he approached this shoot in the same way to incorporate real movement and action into the photos, something that EW has never done before.

“I know the mechanics of the body and capturing the moment and I also get a lot of technical shoots as well so this was a combination of all of that,” Serrao says. “Getting to shoot the actors in character was so fun because generally I’m accustomed to people who don’t want to be there so I try to make it as painless as possible. But when I get to do these things, it’s much more collaborative. The person is in their character, doing their job, interested and committed to making sure the shots are good.”
When it came to deciding what to have each of the stars do in their individual covers, Wild explains that the concept went through a few different stages.

“It evolved into this idea of heroes fighting their way through peril,” she says. “First we wanted to do heroes in peril and while it’s a cool concept, people don’t want to see their heroes about to be defeated. So we decided to give them an obstacle and see how they get through it. And since superheroes are so color driven, we gave each cover its own theme.”

“What I like about them is it’s a nice variation of each character,” Serrao adds. “There is a cohesiveness to all of them but each one has its own unique spin or color palate.”
After eight years of playing the Green Arrow, Amell already has hundreds of photos standing in front of a bullseye with a bow and arrow. The challenge for his final EW cover kicking off the final season of Arrow was making sure it was different and stood out from all the rest.

“There was a loose – extremely loose – inspiration from the iconic Esquire Muhammad Ali Saint Sebastian cover with his hands behind his back getting shot by arrows,” Wild says. “But we didn’t want Arrow shot because he’s a hero and if everything goes our way, he’s not majorly injured. We put a spin on it where he’s dodged all these arrows that were shot at him. We built a wall, Ward stuck a bunch of arrows in it and Carlos shot him from the side through all the arrows and it captivated all of us. It ended up looking so striking.”

The Arrowverse In 30 Seconds: Cast Explains The DC Universe | Entertainment Weekly
Published on Jul 17, 2019, by Entertainment Weekly

Edited by tv echo

‘ARROW’: 5 QUESTIONS WE WANT ANSWERED AT SDCC 
ALYSSA BARBIERI  JULY 19, 2019
http://fangirlish.com/arrow-5-questions-we-want-answered-at-sdcc/

1. HOW WILL THE SHOW HANDLE FELICITY’S ABSENCE?
It’s one thing to write a character out of a show. It’s something else entirely when an actor chooses to leave and you have to adapt. That’s the problem the Arrow producers face in the final season as they have to do the unthinkable: Manage to go on without Felicity Smoak. To this point, they’ve written it so that Felicity is in hiding, which means her friends have no idea where she is, other than Diggle. So if we’re to get any references to Felicity, it’d come from Diggle — or Oliver, assuming he returns.

But it’s not so much of how they’ll address Felicity’s absence as much as it’s going to affect the foundation of the show. Felicity has been a part of this since season 1 and helped create the Arrow we know and love. How does this show manage to be anything but less than what it already is?
5. WILL FELICITY BE IN THE SERIES FINALE?
Now, I don’t think this question is as simple as: Will Emily Bett Rickards return? Because I’m still not convinced that they didn’t film potential series finale scenes before she left. Just in case she wouldn’t be able to return for the series finale. Because there’s no way to have an Arrow series finale without Felicity Smoak.

1. HOW WILL THE SHOW HANDLE FELICITY’S ABSENCE?
2. WHERE IS OLIVER?
3. WILL THE FLASH FORWARDS SET UP A SPINOFF?
4. WILL MIA TAKE ON HER FATHER’S MANTLE OF GREEN ARROW?
5. WILL FELICITY BE IN THE SERIES FINALE?

• Love 1
(edited)

If you read the article, the writer actually says Arrow is the oldest active primetime superhero series and acknowledges that Smallville is the longest-running DC superhero show (no spoilers quoted below)...

‘Arrow’: TV’s Longest-Running Superhero Series Says Farewell To Comic-Con
By Geoff Boucher  July 20, 2019
https://deadline.com/2019/07/arrow-stephen-amell-berlanti-comic-con-international-san-diego-dc-comic-arrowverse-1202649829/

The panel, which also showed off a sizzle real and some teases for the final season (see it below) featured star Amell (Oliver Queen, aka, the Green Arrow), Katie Cassidy (Laurel Lance), David Ramsey (John Diggle), Juliana Harkavy (Dinah Drake), and Rick Gonzalez (Rene Ramirez). Also on stage: showrunner Marc Guggenheim and director and former fight coordinator James “Bam” Bamford.

“This show doesn’t exist without him,” Cassidy said. “I’m so proud of him and so impressed with him.” “A true leader,” Harkavy said, before getting a bit misty-eyed.

“There would not be any superhero universe on TV — not just DC Universe, any superhero universe, after Smallville without Stephen Amell,” who added that Amell’s conditioning is epic. “Muscles on his ear lobes,” Ramsey said.
Television’s oldest active primetime superhero series is the bullseye-center of the CW’s interconnected DC Comics franchises (hence their collective name, the Arrowverse): The Flash, Supergirl, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, and, soon, Batwoman. (Black Lightning, another CW adaptation of a DC property, is separate from the shared universe of the other five. Constantine was an Arrowverse show but it gave up the ghost in 2015 after a single season.)

The Arrowverse series have collectively aired more than 460 episodes of television to date, something that no one would have predicted when Amell suited up for the Arrow pilot in 2012. It’s a staggering achievement, in some ways, and Comic-Con was a front and center experience for Amell and Arrow in a big way during the earliest days of the project.

Arrow premiered in October 2012 but the show had already participated in two Comic-Con panels by that point — the producers and network had deemed the fan constituency that essential to the show’s launch. The first panel was in July 2011, just two months after Smallville finished up its decade-long run (which still stands as the longest tenure of any live-action series based on DC Comics characters).

Arrow was a sharp pivot into a darker tone that was clearly informed by the mood and aesthetic of Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight feature-film franchise. Amell’s character, Oliver Queen, had been portrayed by Justin Hartley on Smallville and the Arrow team was anxious about fans embracing the new stoic version of the archer.

Edited by tv echo
15 hours ago, tv echo said:

Constantine was an Arrowverse show but it gave up the ghost in 2015 after a single season.)

Lol, it was retroactively an Arrowverse show when they got the former lead after his show was toast.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Summary of some of SA's comments about EBR during SDCC...

‘Arrow’ Season 8: Stephen Amell Misses Felicity Actress Emily Bett Rickards
By Nicole Massabrook   07/21/19 
https://www.ibtimes.com/arrow-season-8-stephen-amell-misses-felicity-actress-emily-bett-rickards-2807848

“It’s really tough doing the show without Emily being there because she was probably one of if not my best friend on set,” Green Arrow actor Stephen Amell told Extra. “And I was sad to go back to do the eighth season without her being there. I like what we’re doing, but I’d be lying if I said that it didn’t feel like something was missing without her there.”
As soon as Amell started work on the final season of “Arrow,” he felt the actress’ absence. “I texted her when I was on the plane to Vancouver last week. I texted her that I was sad. The show feels different, in no small part because Em Bett’s not with us this year,” Amell told Entertainment Tonight.

Amell added that he was proud of the actress, who had been on the CW show since Season 1. Bett Rickards is currently appearing in an Off-Broadway show called “Reborning.”

The Oliver Queen actor was clear throughout San Diego Comic-Con that he didn’t want Bett Rickards to leave the show. “There’s no way to sugarcoat this. In a perfect world, she is still on the show. It sucks that she’s not,” Amell told Whedonopolis.

However, that doesn’t mean he wants Felicity to return. “Me personally, I actually kind of hope she doesn’t come back because I love goodbyes. I love finite goodbyes. That being said, if she wants to, that’d be cool,” he added.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Video of this Arrow panel at SDCC was previously posted in the Social Media thread...

The Arrow Cast Shares Favorite Stories About Stephen Amell Ahead Of Final Season
Jessica Rawdon   July 25, 2019
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2477121/the-arrow-cast-shares-favorite-stories-about-stephen-amell-ahead-of-final-season 

Speaking out about some memorable moments while working on Arrow, the cast shared some of their favorite memories of Stephen Amell and his dedication ahead of the final season. David Ramsey perhaps had the funniest story at Arrow’s 2019 Comic-Con panel, noting,

"I’m walking down the hallway, I hear someone say, ‘Ramsay.’ I know it’s Stephen. I walk into the room and Stephen’s there shirtless. He’s talking to me about what’s happening with the show, and how much he can’t wait to work with me. And he’s looking forward to a long relationship. And all I saw were abs, a bunch of biceps and earlobes. Because he has muscles on his earlobes. But the picture physically of that was just a picture of someone’s dedication and it extended to the set and every day at work."
Katie Cassidy was less enamored about Stephen Amell’s abs during the big Arrow panel, but she had a lot of sincere comments to make about the actor kicking ass, particularly when he’s the first person on the call sheet every single day. She also revealed the advice she gave the actor early on during Season 1:

"I actually was just saying to Stephen backstage [at Comic-Con] that I am really proud of him. Everything on this show he has done – you guys have no idea how hard he works. How hard we all work. Especially being Number 1 on the call sheet in a production that is this demanding is insane.

"I remember when we shot the pilot I said to Stephen, ‘just, don’t eff this up.’ He obviously didn’t. I do say this, I’m so proud of him and so impressed with him…for some reason things just happen and we all sort of gelled together and worked. He was the leader. He led us to where we are."

Although Rick Gonzalez came into the Arrow cast a little bit later than some of his other castmates, he also had a Stephen Amell story to share.

"Coming in Season 5, immediately I saw the hard work he put in for the last four seasons. I remember distinctly last Season 7 I was talking to Michael Jai White and he brought up what he was privy to see in Season 1 or 2 and the hard work [Amell] put in. And Michael Jai White has worked with like Jackie Chan. People at that level. The fact he put Stephen Amell higher than those guys… I remember even seeing another clip of another season where he’s like scaling a wall. I texted him immediately and said, ‘You scaled a wall? When did you do that?’ He like sends me a text of where he learned and is like, ‘We should go and train sometime.’ He just set the bar for the show."

To all of the nice comments from his co-stars, Stephen Amell could only blurt out “this panel sucks and I hate it,” although he was super emotional while he said it. It's very clear what an intense attachment the actor has to playing Oliver Queen and Green Arrow for DC's TV branch. In fact, there were tears in his eyes at various points and he kept getting emotional during Comic-Con, even though the whole shebang isn’t even over yet! It’s going to be a long year for the cast, as they are still producing a full season of TV for 2019-2020 and as all these comments illuminate, it can sometimes be grueling to work on a network TV program that runs from October through late spring and a bit of summer.

To be honest, I really do believe Arrow would likely have never been the launchpad for an entire universe of TV had Stephen Amell not been the guy to put on the superhero costume. His dedication to the show and also to the fans has been pretty unparalleled. You don’t really need to go further than his social media presence to see how much Herculean effort he puts into making sure he has a connection with the audience to see that. He's the backbone of the arrow-verse, and while some of the other DC shows may be more popular at this point, Arrow is the show that brought it all together.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Warning: rest of article, not quoted below, contains spoilers...

Arrow: 6 Things To Know About the Final Season From an Emotional Panel at San Diego Comic-Con
July 25, 2019  Brianna Martinez
https://telltaletv.com/2019/07/arrow-6-things-to-know-about-the-final-season-from-an-emotional-panel-at-san-diego-comic-con/ 

1. It Was a Time to Pay Tribute to The Show That Started It All
When asked about the creators’ undertaking at the beginning of the series and the casting of the titular vigilante, Marc Guggenheim stated that Stephen Amell was always their choice.

Marc Guggenheim: The moment [Stephen Amell] opened his mouth, I knew we were going to be okay.

Meanwhile, tributes from Amell’s castmates about his work and dedication to the role and the cast and crew on set, specifically from David Ramsey, left a few misty-eyed.

David Ramsey: There would not have been any comic book heroes, not just DC, on TV, after Smallville, without Stephen Amell.

3. Emily Bett Rickards’ Absence Was Definitely Felt

It was honestly hard not to notice the presence of a particular member of OTA, and both the audience and cast acknowledged it.

Stephen Amell: The panels feels a little incomplete without [Emily Bett Rickards] here.

Though there’s no promise that she’ll return, it’s been stated that Felicity’s presence won’t be erased from Arrow in its final season.
5. One Final Prop Hand Off

A few Comic-Cons ago, a young girl named Sarah went up to the microphone in Ballroom 20 for a fan question. When she explained that she was undergoing treatment for cancer, Stephen Amell promptly got off stage and handed her his necklace with a promise that she’ll return it to him the following year.

Last year, Sarah returned, necklace in hand, and approached the microphone again. This time, the handoff was his necklace for his earliest bow.

Sarah made her trek back to the microphone once again this year and handed back the bow as the Arrow actor hands her the final trade, an essential piece of Arrow history: Oliver’s first suit from Arrow Season 1, ending the tradition and adding another layer of emotions to the show’s final panel.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

I only quoted portions of her interview, so you may wish to read the entire thing...

KAT MCNAMARA
AMANDA LANG· ·JULY 23, 2019
https://www.euphoriazine.com/blog/2019/07/entertainment-kat-mcnamara-interview 

You may recognize Kat McNamara as one of the leading faces in the female action hero movement that has been taking hold of both the television and film industry as of late. Strong female characters are more than just a token side character these days, they are the leads, the stars of the show. But a strong female character isn’t just a cape-wearing, martial arts welding, muscle-woman. This character has depth, a history, a vulnerability that matches their badassery. In other words, they are a fully rounded character of their own, not so easily put away in a box.
Right now, you may know Kat McNamara as the CW’s Mia Smoak or Freeform’s Clary Fray. But Kat is ready for so much more. If Hollywood is opening its doors to strong, well-rounded female roles, it’s good to know we have Kat leading the charge. And not just because she can throw a mean right hook.
Your characters are so kickass. Did you always want to be an action hero?
It’s funny you say that because I sort of fell into playing all of these extremely kickass females, and it’s never something I did intentionally although I am really grateful for it. It’s such a movement right now in the entertainment industry and it’s really highlighting the ways that a woman can be strong and I really appreciate that. As a little girl, my favorite Disney princesses were Pocahontas and Mulan. They were the ones who fought their own battles and stood up for themselves, and I guess everything comes full circle in the end but I find that interesting now looking back.

It seems like we’re seeing more female action heroes as well and you are definitely a part of that. What did you want to bring to these badass characters?
Well, physically, you look at me and I am not necessarily someone who looks imposing, so you have to make it physically make sense. So, I guess the most important thing for me is to find the logic of it. The women I play who are so revered for their fighting, they have to be completely vicious, they have to be merciless, and they have to be extremely fierce in the way that they need to be very tactical and use their size to their advantage, but from a character standpoint, that would stop being interesting very quickly if they did not have a vulnerable side. You have to make sure that these women are humanized, and that they can be made a whole, real person. I think that is the most interesting part of creating a character, and differentiating these characters, it’s finding why they are fighting so hard and what is driving them and what their weaknesses are and how they sort of guard against these weaknesses being used against them later on.
You’ve done an amazing job portraying characters who may already have a pretty large fanbase. What were some of the things that were important to you when it came to taking on such well-loved characters?
It’s something that I was aware of when I was cast as Clary, and it’s something that I have only come to appreciate even more, as I have gone on to do that in Arrow, and in Maze Runner as well. The responsibility is not lost on me. I was a huge fan of YA, and that whole genre, and everything that encompasses, so I understand how connected the audience is towhees characters, and how important they are. I wanted to make sure that they come to life in a way that honors the source material. That from day one was my biggest goal with all of this, just to approach it from a place of “How do I elevate the source material?”, what is most important, what essence of this character can I bring and take further into putting my own creative stamp on it, and make it fresh and interesting by allowing my own experiences as a human being to shape my way of interpreting them, and that has come to life in a wonderful way. Also, with Arrow, something that was important to me because Mia is the daughter of Felicity and Oliver, two characters who have been so well developed, and a relationship that is so beloved, and so thought out and well played for seven years. I watched the show and tried to do as much research as I could. I did the same thing with Maze Runner and Shadowhunters, I made sure to read all the Mortal Instruments series, and read as much as I could, and give as much research online as to people’s opinions, and stay connected with these characters, just to make sure these elements are at least acknowledged at some point.
Who would win in a cage match Clary or Mia?
It depends on the rules! Are we using supernatural powers, or are we not? Because let’s be fair, as ferocious as Mia is, Clary can shoot sunlight out of her hand so… If supernatural powers aren’t allowed, Clary would probably lose. If we’re just going by pure fighting tactics and experience, Mia was trained by Nyssa Al Ghul, Mia has been fighting since she was a little nugget. So she knows every tactic, she is a born and bred fighter, so supernatural things aside, I think Mia would win. It’s interesting to play those to characters because they’re sort of two sides of a similar coin, and it’s been very fun for me as an actor to sort of go the opposite way.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

THE FLASH CROSSOVER CRISIS: GREEN ARROW'S PERFECT SHOT Will Launch of Trilogy of Prose Novel Crossovers
Tommy Williams  July 26, 2019
https://geektyrant.com/news/the-flash-crossover-crisis-green-arrows-perfect-shot-will-launch-of-trilogy-of-prose-novel-crossovers 

In the spirit of the Arrowverse’s annual crossover events, a trilogy of crossover prose novels is being released. The first is The Flash Crossover Crisis: Green Arrow’s Perfect Shot and it is written by Barry Lyga. As you might be able to guess from the title, this novel will feature the Flash and Team Arrow having some fun.
As mentioned before, Green Arrow’s Perfect Shot is merely the first book in a trilogy. Future books in the series will include Supergirl, Superman, and the heroes from Legends of Tomorrow. You will be able to purchase Green Arrow’s Perfect Shot on August 13 with an MSRP of $13.99. Pre-orders are now available on Amazon.

Amazon link (on sale August 13, 2019)
The Flash: Green Arrow's Perfect Shot (The Flash: Crossover Crisis) [hardcover] by Barry Lyga ($9.93)
https://www.amazon.com/Flash-Arrows-Perfect-Crossover-Crisis/dp/1419737384/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=the+flash+crossover+crisis&qid=1564252606&s=gateway&sr=8-1 

It’s the crossover event fans have been waiting for, as The Flash joins forces with Green Arrow!
When the Green Arrow needs help tracking down a sinister bomber in Star City, speedster Barry Allen is out the door in a flash. But as The Flash saves the day with his friends on Team Arrow, a huge dimensional rift appears over his hometown of Central City—and thousands of refugees with superspeed come pouring out. Can the combined skills of Team Arrow and The Flash’s friends at S.T.A.R. Labs manage the chaos long enough to stop the rift from tearing their universe apart? This exciting first installment in the new crossover trilogy promises to be one of the most action-packed reads of the season. Supergirl, Superman, and the heroes from DC’s Legends of Tomorrow will be joining in on the fun in books two and three of this can’t-miss trilogy. 

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

I haven't listened to all of the Watchover podcasts, but I had to listen to this one (warning: SDCC spoilers are discussed)...

Watchover with Jen and Calli
Ep 48 - SDCC Wrap Up

Jen (jbuffyangel) and Calli  July 22, 2019
https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/watchover-with-jen-and-calli/e/62736165?autoplay=true 

Another year, another SDCC in the can. Despite not attending themselves, Jen and Calli still have some opinions on the goings on, particularly as pertains to Arrow, Olicity and the flashforward crew. What can we expect from season 8? And also, what the HECK did they do to Veronica Mars? Again, the girls have some opinions on how some showrunners view shipping. It's a lively episode!

Edited by tv echo

Batman, Green Arrow, & Archie No Longer Safe for Kids
https://go.parentstv.org/comic-books/

In this research report, the PTC examined comic book-themed prime-time programming on the major broadcast networks during November, February, and May “sweeps” periods from November 2012 through May 2019.

Programs examined were Fox’s Gotham; CW’s Arrow, Black Lightning, The Flash, Supergirl, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, and Riverdale; and ABC’s Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Marvel’s Agent Carter, and Marvel’s Inhumans. This resulted in a total of 293 episodes, and slightly more than 300 hours of programming analyzed (a few episodes were two-hour specials).
This study found:

• In comic book-themed programming with particular appeal to children, young viewers were exposed to over 6,000 incidents of violence, over 500 deaths, and almost 2,000 profanities.
  • The most violent program was CW’s Arrow. Young viewers witnessed 1,241 acts of violence, including 310 deaths, 280 instances of gun violence, and 26 scenes of people being tortured. They also heard 492 profanities.
  • Fox’s Gotham featured 35 explicit, gory scenes of beheading or dismemberment, 144 deaths, 13 scenes of torture, and over 1,100 acts of violence.
  • In only eight episodes, CW’s Black Lightning featured 19 deaths, 111 profanities, and 212 acts of violence.
  • The CW series DC’s Legends of Tomorrow included 77 instances of sexual content, 785 instances of violence (including 67 deaths and 11 scenes of torture), and 368 profanities.
  • Violence on the Disney-owned ABC network programs Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Marvel’s Agent Carter, and Marvel’s Inhumans included a combined 1,194 instances of violence and 115 deaths. Also heard were 254 profanities. Most episodes of the ABC series were rated TV-PG.
  • The CW’s series Riverdale, based on Archie Comics, featured 78 instances of sexual content, 242 instances of violence, 153 profanities and scenes of casual drug use – especially disturbing, since every main character in the series (including Archie, Jughead, Betty, and Veronica) is a teenager still in high school.
Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

CW Head Mark Pedowitz Talks Streaming, End of ‘Arrow’,’ ‘Supernatural’
By JOE OTTERSON  AUG 4, 2019
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/cw-mark-pedowitz-streaming-arrow-supernatural-1203291022/ 

Pedowitz also spoke about the end of CW cornerstones “Supernatural” and “Arrow,” both of which will conclude during the 2019-2020 season.
“For them and for Stephen Amell and ‘Arrow’ these shows will go out the way there were supposed to go,” he said. He also praised “Arrow” for spawning six additional DC shows in the so-called “Arrowverse,” saying that “Batwoman” was the “next evolution” of that universe. “We believe these franchises, this universe will continue for many, many years,” he said.

Edited by tv echo

Arrow: David Ramsey Reveals His Favorite Episode and Guest Star
By AARON PERINE - August 8, 2019 07:20 pm EDT
https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/08/08/arrow-david-ramsey-reveals-his-favorite-episode-and-guest-star/

Arrow is near the end, and the cast and crew are taking the time to reflect on the show's lengthy run. David Ramsey has played John Diggle/Spartan since the beginning of the show and recently revealed his favorite episode and guest star during the Television Critics Association Press Tour for the show. Surprisingly, the episode that Ramsey directed himself didn't end up being his favorite one.
"For me, it's just the pilot in terms of the shows. Marc [Guggenheim] said, when I first met these guys, Diggle doesn't have much to do in the pilot, but he becomes very integral to the story," Ramsey began, "I just remember shooting on the island, and David Nutter, who was our great pilot director, seemed to have been the only one that had the foreshadowing knowledge that this was going to be a hit... So we were still trying to find it in that pilot, obviously. So I think that kind of stands out. "
"Whatever people might feel about it, I really loved Manu. I loved Manu as Deathstroke. I just loved what he brought to it. And also, he was such a huge part of Season 2, and I thought Season 2 was our strongest season," Ramsey said to the surprise of a nearby Stephen Amell.

He continued, "I felt like we kind of found it in Season 2. That was where we were talking about spin-offs, and all of a sudden the show became bigger than everyone thought. It was just, like, 'Wow, I guess this is a hit.'" So, the success of Season 2 catapulted Arrow to where it is now and paved the way for the Arrowverse as fans experience it today. As Season 8 quickly approaches, all of the cast has been very thankful to all the fans who have been the titular character was still being called “The Hood”.

Edited by tv echo

The Biggest Takeaways and Buzziest Shows From the Summer TV Critics' Press Tour
AUGUST 09, 2019 6:00am PT by Lesley Goldberg
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/biggest-takeaways-buzziest-shows-summer-tv-critics-press-tour-1230420 

The CW
Network president Mark Pedowitz is fresh off saying farewell to Jane the Virgin, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and iZombie and is poised to part ways with network-defining hits Supernatural and Arrow (as well as The 100) during the 2019-2020 season. The exec, broadcast's longest-tenured chief, will stick with what works as he looks for more shows from DC Comics and Archie's Riverdale world. As for renewing low-rated rookies All American and In the Dark, digital returns cemented those pickups as The CW's new digital strategy will likely help boost linear viewership. Also, for the love of at least our sanity, please stop asking about Supernatural spinoffs. It. is. never. going. to. happen.

Although I don't agree with everything this writer said (for example, he loved Diaz), it's still a decently written article on this subject...

All seven seasons of Arrow ranked from worst to best
by Scott Brown  August 13, 2019
https://bamsmackpow.com/2019/08/13/arrow-ranking-all-seven-seasons/

Relationships, stories and character arcs come much more into focus on the subsequent viewings and thus, can change the way you feel about certain seasons once you know where it’s headed.
7. Season 6
Oliver, Felicity, and John were much more interesting than Dinah, Curtis, and Rene and, because of that, the writing consistently tried to bring the split teams back together every episode because of a different threat. It was frustratingly monotonous. However, even though the narrative was lacking, especially in the first half of the season, every performance ranged from good to great.
6. Season 4
This is the season where magic is really introduced – that should be all you need to know.

The season was often lackluster when it came to its handling of both H.I.V.E. and the overall narrative in general. The same can be said for the flashbacks. Additionally, the relationship drama was way more CW-inspired than it ever had been it the past, which created a frustratingly numb feeling whenever it got touched upon.
5. Season 3
Let’s get this out of the way, the first half of season 3 is great. The nine-episode story arc at the beginning of the season is one of the best stories that Arrow has had within its entire run. However, it’s once the season gets into its back half that it falters quite a bit.
4. Season 7
The character arcs, especially Oliver’s, are excellent throughout the season and the new flash-forward story is one of the cleverest structural changes to this show.

Like season three though, the front half of the season is excellent, but the second half becomes a bit lackluster. The Ninth Circle simply becomes just another faceless organization that has a leader with which there’s a personal connection to Oliver. Even though this is the case, there are some excellent episodes in the back half, such as “Confessions”.

3. Season 1
Yes, some of the early episodes feel very procedural in nature and the voiceover, to be blunt, isn’t that great. But, as the season goes on and more and more characters get introduced, it really becomes fantastic. In fact, this is the only season of Arrow where the front half is weaker than the back half.

Plus, we get out first introductions to Oliver, Diggle, Felicity, Malcolm, Laurel, Thea, and Tommy, giving us our first glimpse at what we will come to love about these characters. Tommy did get the short straw though because he was definitely the best character on the show in this season. Thankfully he did get chances to reappear later down the line.

2. Season 5
Prometheus. Prometheus makes this season what it is.

Throughout the entire season, the narrative is often streamlined and simple because of the threat Prometheus poses. And, once the audience learns his true identity, he becomes one of, if not the most, terrifying villains on the show.

1. Season 2
All. Hail. Deathstroke.

Everything about this season is Arrow at its best: Oliver’s struggles in both of his lives, the character arcs for everyone and the flashbacks are incredible. Plus, the introduction of new characters, such as Sara and Barry, expand the universe into what it is today.

Yet, the best part of the season are the interactions between Oliver and Slade. These characters have the most honest, brutal, complicated relationship in the history of the show and we really get to see that in both the present day storyline and flashbacks.

Edited by tv echo

The first new crossover book came out "The Flash: Green Arrow's Perfect Shot," and I read it during this morning's workout and morning commute. It's the Flash segment of the story, so it was mostly in Barry's pov but still has appearances from Oliver and the team. I didn't like it as much as the last crossover book (and I mean the Flash book of that story), but it went by pretty quickly imo.

Spoilers:

Spoiler

Not much quality Oliver content as the last Flash book in the crossover series. It also references a lot from the other Flash books, but I was able to get through it fine. This book takes place in the alt-version of 7a/5a (they even poke fun and acknowledge they aren't following or involved in tv canon, that they are in an alternate type of timeline) where Nora West-Allen isn't a thing and Team Arrow defeated Diaz so Oliver never went to jail but WestAllen and Olicity are still married and William is still with Oliver and Felicity. The newbs make appearances,  with Curtis teaming up with Cisco and Dinah teaming up with Joe while Oliver sticks with Barry in Central City and Felicity stays in Star City to take down a serial bomber. Ray, Sara, and Mick make a cameo. There's some eh moments imo on Oliver's character, but it wasn't too bad in my opinion. I just wish there was an overall character theme like the last crossover series.

Olicity content:

"Star City is in trouble"

Oliver Queen snorted and glanced over his shoulder. Down in the bowels of the Bunker, concealed beneath the Palmer Technologies building, he was alone with only Felicity Smoak, his partner in both life and in crime-fighting. They'd been married more than a year now, having exchanged their vows after an invasion of superpowered beings from an Earth that had been conquered by Nazis.

It felt ridiculous even to think such a thing, but it was true--it had happened. And it was also true--and obvious--that Star City was in trouble.

"Tell me something I don't know," he said with gentle sarcasm.

At her workstation. Felicity clucked her tongue. "Be nice, and I'll show you something you've never seen before."

Oliver arched an eyebrow.

Felicity blushed. "Oh, wow, That came out wrong! Anyway..." She pounded at her keyboard for a moment. "There. How do you like them arrows, Green Apple? I mean.."

----------------------------------------------------

Felicity joined him at the screen and looped her arm through him. His entire body was taut, rigid. The darkness within Oliver propelled him to great deeds and good works...but it was still a darkness. Felicity had come to terms with it, but sometimes--as now--the very physical manifestation of his anger and intensity could be eye-opening.

"We'll figure it out," she promised.

--------------------------------------------------

"Just keeping it real," Dig told him.

"As he said," Oliver said equably.

"Could you keep it down while you're keeping it real?" Felicity snapped, engrossed in a microscopic component. She gave a little gasp and flipped up the microzoom goggles she was wearing. "I meant to say," she said sweetly, "could you keep it down, my dear husband, light of my life?"

---------------------------------------------------

"It goes up in the air," Curtis was saying, "and then arcs and comes down. Like an arrow shot into the sky. So: Arrowplane."

"Not. Calling It. Arrowplane," Oliver insisted. "Just get us to Central City."

Curtis shrugged and flipped some switches. "Engaging main thrusters. Felicity, do you read me?"

"Read you." Felicity's voice crackled through the speakers. "I show nothing in your flight path. You're cleared for the launch, Arrowplane."

"It's not'--!"

---------------------------------------------

She'd sent a message offering help to Lyla Michaels, the director of A.R.G.U.S. and, conveniently enough, Diggle's wife. The message had bounced off A.R.G.U.S.'s cyber-shielding. Until they figured out what was missing, the weren't going to let any data in or out, either.

So Ambush was looking for something. He was willing to knock down buildings to get it. And now, whatever it is, he has it.

She ran her fingers over the communications switches. She'd taken things as far as she could on her own. No matter what was happening in Central City, she needed to get Oliver back

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Here's another review of The Flash: Green Arrow's Perfect Shot...

“Crossover Crisis” Could Very Easily Be an Episode of The Flash – Book Review
Posted by Jamie Sugah On August 13, 2019
https://thegeekiary.com/crossover-crisis-book-review/68713

I have apparently been living under a rock for years, because I didn’t even know that there were books based on the DCTV CW shows; that was silly of me. Of course there are books based on those shows. I mean, even Teen Wolf had books. Anyway, the Crossover Crisis series will feature characters from The Flash, Arrow, Supergirl, and Legends of Tomorrow. Green Arrow’s Perfect Shot focuses primarily on Team Flash and Team Arrow and has a mystery in each city. In Star City, a serial bomber somehow connected to Brie Larvan is terrorizing the city, while in Central City, a dimensional breach has opened and thousands of refugees from Earth 27 are pouring through, fleeing Anti-Matter Man, who has rendered their planet uninhabitable.

Green Arrow’s Perfect Shot reads just like an episode of The Flash with one key difference – Flashpoint never happened. All of the characters are perfectly recognizable; I can picture them clearly and hear their voices in my head. There’s not a lot of introspection or exposition, but in a book like this where we already know the characters, they’re really not necessary, and I don’t think the book is lacking because of it.

The writing style is simple, and this is a quick, easy read, but it isn’t dumbed down. I imagine it’s much like reading a script for one of the shows. Also, as someone who is familiar with both shows but hasn’t watched in quite some time, I wasn’t lost or struggling to figure out who was who or what was going on. There is backstory peppered throughout, and for people who are caught up, it might seem a little redundant, but for someone like me, it was very helpful in allowing me to follow along. I really liked the story and am completely intrigued by the concept of the alternate timeline – I kind of hope that comes up at some point in the series.

green-arrows-perfect-shot.jpg 

Edited by tv echo

Warning: intro to this article (not quoted) contains spoilers...

10 'Arrow' Characters Who Should Return for the Final Season (PHOTOS)
Meredith Jacobs August 13, 2019
https://www.tvinsider.com/gallery/arrow-season-8-returning-characters/

Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards)
Rickards announced she wouldn't be returning for Season 8 in April, and the Season 7 finale did write her character out in such a way that it could serve as a final goodbye. Still, it wouldn't be the same if the series ended without Felicity, Olicity, and OTA, and it's hard to imagine Arrow having a happy ending — at least for Oliver, without something off-screen — without her around.

Sara Diggle
Lyla (Audrey Marie Anderson)
Slade Wilson (Manu Bennett)
Sara Lance (Caity Lotz)
Walter Steele (Colin Salmon)
Rory Regan (Joe Dinicol)
Helena Bertinelli (Jessica De Gouw)
Roy Harper (Colton Haynes)
Thea Queen (Willa Holland)
Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

‘The Flash Crossover Crisis: Green Arrow’s Perfect Shot’ Review
By Angela DiLella -  Aug 5, 2019
https://www.n3rdabl3.com/2019/08/the-flash-crossover-crisis-green-arrows-perfect-shot-review/

The book is set up in something of a comic book format: although it’s primarily in text, we still get things like “the story thus far” in the beginning, a teaser for the next volume, and so on. These are also nice touches and makes the book easier to pick up for readers new to or not very familiar with the Flash.

A strength the book has is easing readers into the Flash’s universe. I’m more familiar with the Flash in his animated ventures, so I appreciated the economic explanations for things that appeared to be tied in with both his and Green Arrow’s respective live-action shows. Towards the climax, there were a couple of new elements introduced quickly that I had trouble keeping up with, but not being too familiar with either live-action show, I’m not quite the target audience for this story. I imagine that a fan of the related shows wouldn’t have this problem at all.

Nonetheless, I found the story a fun venture–it really does feel like a comic put to text, keeping the usual vigor and excitement, with an unfolding mystery that I could imagine as a regular comic story very easily. It involves mirror universes overlapping, with different villains (who are seen as heroes in their brutish worlds and are identical to certain heroes in our Flash and Green Arrow’s world) appearing in Central City with the help of a dimensional rift, along with thousands of multiverse refugees. They are harbingers for even bigger troubles in both this and presumably later books in the trilogy.
Although that is more or less the main plot, there’s also a lot going on in B and C stories that also have to do with the alternate worlds interacting to some extent. The story never flags and it never feels overwhelming, either: it seems that, for the most part, action-heavy or high-tension moments are balanced with just as important, but more leisurely-paced chapters. Leisurely compared to the Flash’s normal pace, of course. To be honest, it’s what I would consider the “B” story–featuring Brie Larvan’s bees and her brother–that has me the most intrigued for the next two The Flash Crossover Crisis books. There’s something about those robo-bees! The multiverse villains also tease a bigger story that will come to a head for the patient that makes you want to stick with things, not to mention the book’s actual teaser which names Supergirl as a player in book two.

One thing I noticed and appreciated was that Lyga does not appear to talk down to his audience. The book is officially classified as YA by Abrams and Amulet Books. Sometimes this means that existing stories are repackaged and reduced to the simplest terms. Lyga does not seem to be afraid of challenging his target audience and regularly throws high school vocabulary in as well as high school math (to his credit, he takes the reader through the math as succinctly and clearly as one probably can, though it still filled me with dread because, you know, math). He is also great at presenting examples to explain these ideas, again, without talking down to the reader. He just nudges them along. It’s a hard thing to balance, but Lyga manages it.
All in all, this was an enjoyable book that reminded me why I had liked the Flash so much when I was actively watching Justice League or other DC property-cartoons that featured him. Although the Green Arrow was also in these shows, I don’t recall paying much attention to him, and I now feel like I ought to go back and give him a fair shot; he seems like an interesting character as well.

From a fan engagement perspective it was dumb move to cut the scene and use the time for the 3rd bird to have a discussion with the dog about... whatever.

Olicity is their bread and butter. No one cares about the 3rd bird besides the actress who plays her.

• Love 4