Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

(edited)

A.Thena. Thanks for posting that here because I just came here to talk about it. That interview makes me incredibly excited! I loved Brandon Routh sooooo much as Superman he WAS my Superman {him and Christopher Reeve} so to learn he's coming back to the DC Universe is very exciting, and I'm happy they're giving Felicity a hottie not some Jimmy Olsen. I was excited to read of Laurel getting a love interest as well and he wonderfully addressed the issue of insta-Canary. Also to learn that CL is coming back and I read somewhere that the wonderful Abruzzi from Prison Break is on-board as well so I am super excited for the new season. Even more so than before, I'll still miss Susanna Thompson though.

Gotta say that the producers of Arrow and The Flash are NAILING it in terms of casting. Wow.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Looks like Arrow and The Flash will not be part of the DC movie universe...

http://www.greenarrowtv.com/arrow-the-flash-will-not-be-part-of-the-dc-movie-universe/18020

During the session, Johns stated definitively that “the film and television universes for DC Comics ‘are separate worlds.’”

Arrow and The Flash create a huge DC universe for us. And it’s going to live and breathe and grow,” he continued. “We also want to let the creators tell the best stories they can with these characters without putting them in a box, so to speak. And so we want to do the best TV show, television series we can possibly do with the DC universe with these characters.”

Fans hoping for a narrative structure similar to the Marvel Cinematic Universe that happily includes both of the ABC series Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the upcoming Marvel’s Agent Carter, as well as the forthcoming Netflix block of series, are sure to be disappointed. While the dark world of Arrow‘s Starling City would seem to slip easily into the tone of the nascent DC Movie Universe as established in the Henry Cavill-fronted Superman film, it appears it is not meant to be, at least for the time being.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I know the actors and producers of the show are probably disappointed, but I don't think connecting the shows to the movie universe would have been beneficial to either one. I think this is good news.

• Love 2

From the Spoiler Thread:

Chairman Meow, on 24 Jul 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

They've now likened their work to that of Joss Whedon, Steven Spielberg and Francis Ford Coppola.   Okay.   I think someone needs to put the crack pipe down.

I believe that they also made character comparisons to Lois and Clark, but then tried to claim that people misinterpreted that.  We could have an entire thread dedicated to the crazy shit that these EPs say.

• Love 2

Strictly speaking, this is not about Arrow until right at the end. But it's interesting - I had no idea they were married (and I love the bit about their daughters costumes) http://www.ksitetv.com/interviews-2/agent-carter-producers-talk-about-the-show-its-arrow-connection/35491

So that's why Guggenheim kept pimping Resurrection in his tweets earlier this year.  I actually avoided the show at first since I thought he was involved in it but it turns out it was his wife who was involved.

what's a second ship?

ETA: I read the article which explained "second ship"...should read before asking :D

Thanks for the link.  I agree with their list, as far as the shows I've watched.

Edited by Morrigan2575

I think that a few of the couples on that "second ship" list could have been avoided by casting properly in the first place.  If Jason Dohring had been cast as Duncan instead of that Teddy guy, a second ship probably wouldn't have even existed.  If Yvonne Strahovski or a similar badass had been cast as Laurel, Felicity might not even exist.  So, I am actually a little grateful because I think that the miscasting of Laurel (IMO) brought about Felicity and I don't think that I'd still be watching Arrow without her.

• Love 9

I do agree with the zap2it article. Emily Bett Rickards is made for 90s style rom coms, the kind that made Julia Roberts and Meg Ryan the stars they are today. She has this perfect blend of girl next door homeliness and sass of a girl who can bring down a leading man to his knees.

Can't wait for her to get their next!

That's pretty good company to be in, but unless your name is Meryl Streep, TV is the place to get a good role for a woman these days (as Glenn Close has said). But I do like the idea of her doing rom coms in her 20s and 30s.

It would be weird if 10 to 15 years from now, Netflix (or whatever its analogue will be) described Arrow as "Featuring a young Emily Bett Rickards in her first major role..."

• Love 1

A lot of actors who transitioned to movies did it during their hiatuses. They have a good 4 months where they can do a film which does not require a lot of action. Katherine Heigl did most of her successful films during Grey's Anatomy. Once she left Grey's Anatomy, her career tanked as well (the stories of her diva behaviour did not help as well). She is back on TV this coming fall. Ryan Reynolds and Katie Holmes also started their movie careers while they were working on Two guys, a girl and a pizza place and Dawson's Creek. They are both A-listers now.

Another CW starlet who got some high profile film roles while working on her tv show is Mrs Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively.

The point is, you can start your film career while you are working on TV. People have done it before and will continue to do so. I do believe Emily has enough charm and charisma to actually carry a feature film.

• Love 1

I know Caity's not a regular (although she pretty much was) she filmed a move during the break and was back on set for the first ep of season 3. It is possible and has been done by many other actors, so I don't see why EBR couldn't do the same.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

I questioned the list somewhere else because I didn't understand it since many of the people on the list, have either filmed movies during the time on TV or before coming to TV.  The explanation I got was that this list is probably talking about people who should leave TV behind and go to movies only.

Edited by Morrigan2575
Arrow (0.92 Last Year)

Timeslot: Wednesdays at 8,CW

Lead-in: Local Programming
Lead-out: The 100
Episode Order: 22-24 episodes
Competition: The Middle & The Goldbergs, Hell's Kitchen/American Idol, Survivor, The Mysteries of Laura

The Pros
• Competition probably gets easier for Arrow with Revolution out of the slot since this show shared more audience with it than with The Mysteries of Laura
• The Flash might bring enough attention do the CW and the DC Comics shows in general that it gives Arrow a boost of its own in the process, particularly through crossovers.
• The 100 should be a more competent lead-out to have than The Tomorrow People was a year ago.
• Despite a worrisome spring, Arrow did manage to end up even year to year. That’s very promising!

The Cons
• Like fellow CW-hit shows The Originals and The Vampire Diaries, Arrow had some very concerning spring drops going on, despite the show firing up in all cylinders creatively speaking. Will it really be able to come back from that?
• Despite what I thought was a mind blowing Season 2, the show is considerably more serialized nowadays than it was back in Season 1, so potential for casual viewing is more limited now.

The Verdict: As concerning as those spring drops were, the finale was even year to year, which is promising, so I am not ready to read that much into them, especially since they affected basically the entire CW. I also genuinely think all the attention that Flash is getting might end up being positive for Arrow as well, so I am cautiously optimistic about this season simply taking a drop on par with overall broadcast.

The Guess: 0.85 (-7%)

Potential for Major Deviation: Low

Fall TV Preview - Wednesdays
Posted by Oma bin at Thursday, August 21, 2014
http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/08/fall-tv-preview-wednesdays.html

Nope. Nothing so far. I strongly suspect they may go with a solo shot of Oliver for the main publicity stuff because the putative leading lady/actual leading lady stuff is going to be problematic in terms of placement. Last year with Laurel not knowing they could get away with sticking her in the background but this year? Ouch. Of course they could have Laurel & Felicity equidistant from Oliver but then what about Digg? And Roy, come to that. Maybe they'll have two or three variations of the promo (and yes, I've thought way too much about this).

Regardless of Laurel's popularity level, I don't think placing Diggle and Felicity at Oliver's sides would be a slight against her. They've been Team Arrow going on three seasons now. They've earned those spots on their own merits to the story imo.

• Love 10

I may be asking this in the completely wrong place but have they released any promo photos for the new season?

The Flash poster came out on Tuesday, so I'm expecting the Arrow one any day now. This is about the time it came out last year. I don't remember for sure on promo photos for the cast, but I think they came out somewhere around the same time.

Aw, too bad. I was looking forward to that. Guess it will keep me from refreshing TVLine every half hour though, lol. ;)

As far as cast photos, it looks like GreenArrowTV posted them last year on October 1, so we'll probably have to wait awhile for those too.

Sadly we won't get the Arrow poster today.  According to Chico6 it will be released closer to the premiere

There goes my happy theory that it would be posted with something that would make certain viewers run right out and buy/download the digital 2.5 season. 

Waiting sucks!