Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

It's weird. I had been getting the vibe in recent months that SA was pretty much done with Arrow. But with his latest comments and all the media focusing on them specifically, I now feel like he's setting the stage for demanding more pay which, you know, I can't really fault him for.

I don't think the show can survive without SA or EBR and to an extent, DR. They are like cornerstones of the show and when they're sidelined for the newbies, it feels off-kilter and wrong. I do feel like S6 was a bit of a test to see if Dinah could carry the show and she absolutely cannot and I don't think Rene can carry it either. Curtis I don't even count tbh.

All that being said, I personally think Arrow should end sooner than later. Give it a short S8 to wrap things up. IMO it's come to an end anyway. However, if they do manage to sign everyone again, the seasons should either be less episodes or they should cut some series regulars.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Angel12d said:

I don't think the show can survive without SA or EBR and to an extent, DR. They are like cornerstones of the show and when they're sidelined for the newbies, it feels off-kilter and wrong. I do feel like S6 was a bit of a test to see if Dinah could carry the show and she absolutely cannot and I don't think Rene can carry it either. Curtis I don't even count tbh.

As much as I wouldn't like it, the show can survive losing DR if they give Oliver another bro since Oliver has grown up enough that there is less of a need for Diggle to be his Yoda.  Roy could step become the male BFF.

Felicity would be harder to lose and they couldn't replace her, certainly not as Oliver's love interest and very doubtfully as the IT person on the team although they would certainly try with Curtis.

Given what a fail NTA was last season, I don't think they can afford to lose Stephen.

Edited by statsgirl

I'm curious in a scenario where Emily decides to leave whether they would try to have Oliver move on or do like TVD with Damon and have him remain single till the series finale where they bring Emily back to give them a happy ending 

They'd totally just have Oliver be single until the series finale.

I think the show could survive losing EBR/DR, at least 2 additional seasons like TVD did. It'd force the writers to explore Olivers relationships more indepth with the other characters. But DR probably is in zero rush to go anywhere. 

Th Arrow ratings are low enough that I think they could run for a year without DR and EBR and it wouldn't make a bit hit.  I would stop watching, but I'm sure there's a chunk of viewers who only care about Oliver Queen.

I always wondered if they would extend Arrow until Flash was ready to end so that the Arrowverse on this earth will tie up at the same time. 

7 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I always wondered if they would extend Arrow until Flash was ready to end so that the Arrowverse on this earth will tie up at the same time. 

Have they said when The Flash will end?

2 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Have they said when The Flash will end?

I think I read that Grant Gustin is signed through season 6.  He's acted in a couple of indie movies by hasn't had anything take off so they might be able to get him for some additional seasons.  

• Love 1

Why would they leave? 

EBR seems to enjoy being able to work in the city she was born in and lives in and also gives her an opportunity to do little side projects.

DR sees with Arrow his biggest sucess througout his career. And its a stable paycheck.

Seems the network and WB are aware that those 3 are very important to the sucess of the show. And even if they deny it, i think s6 they were testing out how the new team would fare if OTA decided to say goodbye. 

Rehashing the same old are Emily or David gonna leave every single year is getting tiresome honestly. 

Edited by Velocity23
  • Love 5

5 Actors Who Regretted Being On Superhero Shows (And 15 Who Adored Them)
BY TYLER HARGETT – ON SEP 02, 2018
https://screenrant.com/actors-regretted-adored-superhero-shows/

Some actors have fun with their roles, whether being fans of the comics their shows are based on or simply falling in love with their character and trying to ensure they leave a lasting impact on fans.

This has led to many actors' roles on superhero shows being their definitive character for audiences, such as Stephen Amell's Green Arrow or Adam West's Batman.

Others, however, run into issues during their series' run, such as grueling schedules, behind-the-scenes controversies, and the struggle of finding a new role after being cast as the same character for so long.
15   REGRETTED: WILLA HOLLAND - ARROW
There's no denying the impact of The CW's Arrow.

Receiving an adoring fanbase and spawning an entire television universe, the series has taken the format of superhero shows to a new level.

However, despite the show holding on to most of its major characters (including Oliver, Felicity, and John) for six seasons (and counting), the show has dropped a few main characters over the years, with some returning and some not.

Actress Willa Holland's Thea Queen (also known as Speedy) was certainly a character fans were sad to see go.

Following Holland's departure after the sixth season, showrunner Marc Guggenheim told TV Line he had been made aware of Holland's desire to leave the show during the fourth season.

Costar Stephen Amell later said he respected her decision "to move on with her career."
2  ADORED: STEPHEN AMELL - ARROW
As stated before, Arrow is a large part of today's superhero show craze.

However, like with any adaptation, a show can only successful with a dedicated fanbase behind it.

In a Washington Post interview, actor Stephen Amell said the reason the show has remained successful is that fans "can tell we give a [expletive]."

"They can tell we're protective over the script," he said.

Besides making appearances at conventions and in other Arrowverse shows, Amell has also been known to go through his social media and read posts from fans, as well as live-tweet during episode airings and encourage the creation of Arrow-related memes.

With such love and dedication for the role, maybe Amell will get his wish for Arrow to become "the best superhero comic book show of all time."

Edited by tv echo

40 Best TV Duo Height Differences by Yana Grebenyuk, September 6, 2018

There are plenty of tropes that make interactions between characters, and couples, stand out to us. A good height difference isn't an official one, but maybe we should make it one?

A good height difference almost determines how much a couple will stay with us, how much it will stand out, and how much promise they can have down the road.

Every iconic couple on television had some kind of considerable differences when side by side, and isn't that what it is all about? 

Here are a few examples of aesthetically pleasing pairings that make you want to see them together, and who make anything more memorable because of their height difference. 

12. Oliver and Felicity - Arrow

oliver-and-felicity-arrow.gif

Forehead kisses are another underrated moment between couples, it is another way to demonstrate intimacy and do you know what makes it look good? A height difference!

My favorite height difference scene:

tumblr_o4j7fz7aYq1rf1jeto1_250.gif   tumblr_inline_o4jvieDKzk1sn50vm_400.gif

• Love 12

I agree that S2 was better than S1...

Disappointing TV Shows That Turned Things Around In Season 2
By: Nick Steinberg   August 29th, 2018
https://www.goliath.com/tv/disappointing-tv-shows-that-turned-things-around-in-season-2/

6. Arrow
The first season of Arrow deserves credit for being better than it had any right to be. Although it definitely still had that CW feel to it (read: cheesy melodrama), the premise was well-realized, Stephen Amell was likable enough as the titular hero, and the action was a step up from most live-action comic book shows. That being said, much of the supporting cast left something to be desired, with Katie Cassidy’s Laurel Lance in particular treading water with little interesting to do, and the villain-of-the-week structure was laid on a little too thick.

Thanks to some small, but significant changes, Arrow’s sophomore season was considerably more enjoyable to watch. The introduction of Caity Lotz as Black Canary and the increased focus on Emily Bett Rickard’s lovable tech genius Felicty Smoak gave the show a much-needed boost in the female character department, while Manu Bennett’s transition from Oliver Queen’s ally to sworn enemy Deathstroke was a fascinating development to watch play out. Whether or not you’ve fallen off of Arrow in the years since, it’s hard to deny that the show improved considerably in its second season.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

This makes no sense...

7 TV romances that shows… just forgot about
CAMERON K MCEWAN    7 SEPTEMBER 2018
http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/feature/a865651/tv-romances-forgotten/

Here are seven times either writers, characters or even the audience got absent-minded over small-screen romances. Spoilers follow, obvs...
4. Arrow – Oliver Queen & anyone *but* Felicity
Oliver Queen, aka the Green Arrow, has dated a variety of different women during his time on the show based on the DC Comics character.

There are Huntress, McKenna Hall and Susan Williams to name but three, but they're usually written out quickly and barely mentioned once gone.

Of course, but Felicity ended up as his chief love interest (and then later wife) so it's probably best he forgets about his prior partners.

Edited by tv echo

Do most shows continue to mention temporary love interests once they're off the show? I find most of the list kind of stupid as it has a lot of unrequited crushes that were forgotten when the crusher moved on (seriously, Winn/Kara for Supergirl instead of Jimmy/Kara who were the building couple for season 1, only to break up off screen during the hiatus and be dismissed in a single line?) but how much time is Arrow supposed to dedicate to mentioning off screen people who have no effect on the current story? And Helena and Susan were both mentioned is Season 6 when they were relevant to the story. 

• Love 3

The list makes sense but Olicity doesn't make sense on the list.....If that makes sense? LOL

A more appropriate pairing to list would have been Oliver and Laurel cause they were the big intended in S1 or Oliver and Sara cause the show actually put GA and BC together but they never mentioned it after. 

Edited by Chaser

If the list had stuck with just Oliver and Sara, it probably would have made more sense. After all that relationship lasted what, 6-7 episodes? And except for 301 and 302 was pretty much ignored? (Was it ever referred to during any of the crossovers?) There’s something mentioned in the latest Arrow novel but it was, if I recall correctly, all from Sara’s POV. 

• Love 1

I've got this image of Oliver denying he's ever had exes that's making me smile. Fits in with the Susan Williams thing where he was all "Who's that? I have no idea what you're talking about?" after 520 when he was trying to date Felicity again. 

F: I ran into your ex the other day

O: What ex? I have no exes

F: Don't be stupid remember McKenna? What about Laurel?

O (dreamily): I remember you chewing on a red pen

F *shakes head and rolls eyes*

• Love 15

Sara and Oliver got a few lines reconfirming their connection in the last couple of crossovers but their S2 relationship is never mentioned.

LL is constantly remembered on two shows though rarely as a LI. Oliver even had Nope!Face when she was in hospital telling him he was the love of her life. But she became deified in death, unlike Sara where Laurel realised she was always destined to put on the mask mid season, never mind that that was a load of bunk. Then it  wad Sara Who? Until they needed to resurrect her.

• Love 2

Posted with mod permission...

Why DC Movies Should Learn From Their Television Universe, Not Ignore It
by Jessica Mason | September 6th, 2018
https://www.themarysue.com/dceu-movies-learn-from-dc-tv-arrowverse/

The DCTV universe started in 2012, with the premiere of Arrow. This was the same year Marvel’s Avengers assembled on the big screen, and a year before Man of Steel sort of kicked things off for DC. What DC did with Arrow was to essentially recreate on television what Marvel did in the movies with Iron Man. They started modestly, with a single character—actually, a very specific character: a billionaire, playboy who is held captive by bad guys for a while and is inspired by that ordeal to become a hero and make questionable facial hair choices.
The real similarities between Tony Stark and Olivier Queen, though, were that they were extremely human, and their stories laid a somewhat plausible foundation for all the fantastical stuff that would happen later. This model established a single character to focus on, then added more and more, before uniting a big super team. Arrow gave us The Flash, which birthed Legends of Tomorrow and laid the foundation for the multiverse that would connect Supergirl. They were patient and allowed the universe to be guided by a singular creative voice—Kevin Feige for Marvel, and Greg Berlanti on DCTV.

The DCEU, on the other hand, was in such a rush to create a “universe” that they jumped in with no foundation, as big as possible, with Man of Steel. Then, instead of giving us a single Batman movie in the new continuity, we got Batman v Superman. We were asked to care about characters that we didn’t know at all. The DCEU brass assumed that because we were seeing Batman the intellectual property, we would care about Batman the character, but charismatic actors and cool action shots can only do so much to endear us to a character. It takes a real story to make us truly care. We cared about Oliver Queen on the small screen because of the show’s stories, not because we’re attached to the The Green Arrow in general.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 8

The CW Conclave: Best and most heartbreaking family moments
by Catherine Palmer   September 12, 2018
https://showsnob.com/2018/09/11/the-cw-conclave-family-moments/

Arrow: “I am going to do everything in my power forever to make sure that you never end up alone in this world.” (6×02)
While Oliver’s (Stephen Amell) son William (Jack Moore) was introduced back in season four and first mentioned in season two, it was season six that found Ollie finally establishing a substantive relationship with William.

Tragically, that change was prompted by the death of William’s mother Samantha (Anna Hopkins) at the hands of one of Oliver’s most despicable adversaries, Adrian Chase, aka Prometheus (Josh Segarra). Her death wasn’t Oliver’s fault, but William became his responsibility. At first, Oliver tried to fit William into his life, but then he realized that he owed William more than that.

William, still traumatized and numb, wasn’t the one who needed to adjust. Oliver was, so he gave up the hood. Of course, he eventually took the mantle back from Diggle (David Ramsey), but it was refreshing to see Oliver devote himself entirely to William when William needed him the most.
“Stay with me, Daddy.” (6×23)
In a way, Quentin Lance (Paul Blackthorne) got the ending he deserved, even though his death was devastating. He wasn’t able to save Sara (Caity Lotz) from being killed in Arrow’s third season. Despite his best efforts to protect her, he wasn’t able to save Laurel (Katie Cassidy) from being killed in season four.

In season six, Lance was able to save Earth Two Laurel (Cassidy), who he had come to consider an adoptive daughter, by taking a bullet for her. As for his death itself, it was absolutely brutal that he wasn’t able to say goodbye to anyone, especially Sara.

However, dying as a result of finally being able to save someone you love is a relatively good send-off. Plus, Lance is not alone. He’s with Laurel again.

Edited by tv echo

Did someone actually say, Stay with me Daddy, to Lance? Sara obviously wasn’t there and it couldn’t have been BS, could it? I find it hard to believe I would have forgotten that. I imagine I’d still be laughing months after the fact.

• Love 2

LOL what. Lance dying for someone who wasn't his daughter wasn't the ending he deserved at all, IMO. But in the end I was so annoyed at his moronic actions over BS in S6 that I didn't care what happened which is sad because I did come to enjoy his scenes with Oliver. His whole death left me cold tbh. 

And I actually thought the family scenes with Oliver and Felicity and William in 621 were much more powerful than the scene they describe in 602. By this time they'd really established them as a family unit and you could actually feel Oliver's heartache and desperation at not wanting to leave his family because we'd seen what he had to lose.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 6

11 New Character Additions That Hurt CW Shows (And 9 That Saved Them)
BY ERIC MCADAMS – ON SEP 15, 2018
https://screenrant.com/cw-new-character-additions-saved-shows/

20 HURT: DAMIEN DARHK – ARROW
If you're going to use a character whose is Damien Darhk, then you'd better succeed in making him seem scary. Darhk got a lot of build-up in season four of Arrow, being an ageless magician akin to Ra's al Ghul, and he did terrible things in the season itself, but he was just never terribly interesting.

Played by veteran bad guy (and occasional Howling Commando) Neal McDonough, Darhk seemed more like a greedy tycoon than a sinister sorcerer.

The real problem with the character was that he had too many shoes to fill-- magician, assassin, immortal, mayor, crime kingpin, etc.

Add the fact that he was responsible for the end of Laurel Lance, and he was a net negative for Arrow-- though he was a bit more fun in Legends of Tomorrow).

Edited by tv echo

I fully admit Darhk worked far better on Legends than he did on Arrow but that list of too many shoes to fill is ridiculous. He wasn't mayor, his wife was and outside of setting the stage for Genesis, I wouldn't consider him a kingpin either. And how much effort does being immortal really take?

Step 1: Don't die

Steps 2-Infinity: Continue not dying

• Love 2

I really disagree with the below ranking of the Arrow villains - I would put Prometheus near the top with Deathstroke, and I would put Diaz at the very bottom...

The Definitive Ranking of the Arrowverse Villains
Kat Calamia   September 17, 2018
http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/arrowverse-villains-ultimate-ranking

14. PROMETHEUS (ARROW SEASON 5)
Arrow Season 5 saw Oliver Queen develop and explore and own his political roots. He officially took up the responsibilities that came with being Mayor of Star City. But Season 5 was a rocky ride overall. The writers were likely still finding distinctive voices for the new members of Team Arrow while also trying to figure out the show’s new tone post-Laurel Lance. It’s no surprise the season’s villain wasn’t very compelling

At this point, the “identity reveal” villains were becoming tiresome (both Arrow and The Flash had used the tactic in previous seasons). When Adrian Chase revealed himself as Prometheus, it wasn’t very shocking — honestly, even his costume felt uninspired. But Chase’s demise made up for his lackluster arc. When he teamed up with other Arrow villains during the jam-packed finale, it allowed Prometheus to (literally) go out with a big bang.
10. RICARDO DIAZ (ARROW SEASON 6)
Ricardo Diaz is everything fans wanted Prometheus to be in Arrow Season 5. Kirk Acevedo’s performance made Diaz truly menacing as he pitted the whole city against Oliver Queen. Through Diaz, the show’s writers seemed to find a glorious sweet spot between political storytelling and superhero adventure.
6. DAMIEN DARHK (ARROW SEASON 4, LEGENDS OF TOMORROW SEASON 2 AND 3)
5. RA’S AL GHUL (ARROW SEASON 3)
One of our favorite nail-biting moments of the Arrowverse was the battle between Ra’s Al Ghul and Oliver on the mountain. The best villains are the ones who hold a mirror in front of our heroes to show them what type of person they really are and, more terrifyingly, the type of person they might become.

Oliver has always feared becoming a truly bad person. He became a vigilante to right the wrongs of his father and, deep down, clear his conscious of all the bad he did during the five years he was away. After battling Ra’s, Oliver became the person he most feared. But in doing so, he helped the rest of Team Arrow find their own heroism as they had to go up against Oliver himself.
2. MALCOLM MERLYN (ARROW SEASON 1, LEGENDS OF TOMORROW SEASON 2)
The best villains are the ones who believe they are the heroes. Malcolm wanted to destroy The Glades because he thought he was improving Starling City, but along the way, he lost his only son, Tommy, to his demented sense of justice. Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow gave Malcolm several seasons of development, which helped him become such a well-rounded character.

Additionally, actor John Barrowman gave a very layered performance — especially when it came to Malcolm’s relationship with his daughter, Thea. Whenever Malcolm showed up on the screen, you never knew if he was there as a friend or a foe. And that’s exactly the way we liked seeing him. Malcolm didn’t just have a great villain arc. His character’s journey gifted him the perfect redemption story.

1. DEATHSTROKE (ARROW SEASON 2)  
Arrow Season 2 showcased some of the most intense episodes in the DC television universe — and made five tedious seasons of flashbacks worth it. That payoff was all thanks to one guy: Deathstroke.

Slade Wilson was both friend and enemy to Oliver Queen. Yes, he helped him survive on the island, but then he made his life a living nightmare back in Starling City. Wilson broke the Queen Family (RIP Moira), but especially Oliver. To this day, he still hasn’t been able to fully recover.

Edited by tv echo

I agree a lot more with this writer's comments about the following Arrow villains...

9 Villain Castings Decisions That Hurt The Arrowverse (And 11 That Saved It)
BY ERIC MCADAMS – ON SEP 16, 2018
https://screenrant.com/arrowverse-villain-casting-decisions/

20 SAVED: MICHAEL EMERSON – CAYDEN JAMES
Dramatic irony is the literary term for when the audience knows something that a character doesn't, and it can be used to make powerfully tragic figures in fiction. Arrow tried its hand at this when it created Cayden James, a super hacker played by Michael Emerson who believed Oliver Queen was responsible for his son's passing.

James was the most active antagonist in the sixth season, and he was fascinating to watch not because of his fearsome intellect, but because of his tragic backstory brought out with a mixture of rage and sorrow by Emerson.

James was obviously deceived by the man truly responsible for his son's end, and this dynamic gave Emerson plenty of material to play with.
15 HURT: AMY GUMENICK – CUPID
It was hard not to let out a groan whenever Cupid made a reappearance on Arrow. A former police officer who became obsessed with the Arrow, Carrie Cutter started shooting heart-shaped arrows at whomsoever she chose.

This was fun for an episode or two after her debut in season three, but fans were tired of seeing Cupid by season four.

We can't blame this character's annoying nature entirely on actress Amy Gumenick-- the writers of Arrow never seemed to scratch beneath the surface with Cupid, seeming to like the character without knowing how to make her more of a gimmick.

It didn't help that Gumenick lines were frequently delivered in a cutesy, flirty way that was bound to get frustrating before long.
13 HURT: KIRK ACEVEDO – RICARDO DIAZ
Ricardo Diaz is a villain defined by his ambition. Unfortunately, he's not defined by much else. Beginning in season six and continuing into season seven, Kirk Acevedo portrayed the crime lord who started as a lieutenant to Cayden James before revealing his plans to supplant him as boss of all of Star City.

While he's certainly not the worst villain to appear on Arrow, Diaz just doesn't have enough of a personality to carry an episode.

Acevedo is known for playing tough guys, and he definitely conveys that aspect of the character, but there just isn't much else that comes across. Diaz's ambition was striking, but with the spotlight on him, he failed to generate interest and the actor is at least partly to blame for it.
12 SAVED: JOHN BARROWMAN – MALCOLM MERLYN
Malcolm Merlyn is the first main antagonist from Arrow, and in many ways he represents a lot of what makes the show compelling: stylized fight scenes, sensationalized characters, and complicated familial dynamics.

Without John Barrowman, Merlyn likely wouldn't have lasted nearly as long on the show.

Barrowman has played Malcolm (aka the Dark Archer) since the beginning, and if he wasn't so in sync with the character and by all accounts such a generally nice guy, it's doubtful Malcolm would have seen many episodes past the first season.

But he did, appearing in every season through the sixth, receiving a longer arc revolving around his daughter Thea.

Arrow has a history of taking its bad guys and making them much more morally complex, and Barrowman was arguably the catalyst for all of that.
10 SAVED: KATIE CASSIDY – BLACK SIREN
Not all fans liked what Arrow did to Laurel Lance. After it became clear that Oliver and Felicity were, by far, a more popular couple than Laurel and Oliver, Laurel didn't have nearly as important a role on the series, and she was eventually bumped off by Damien Darhk. Luckily for viewers, Katie Cassidy didn't leave the show, returning as the villainous Black Siren.

The reviews of the later seasons of Arrow have been largely mixed, but everyone seemed to like the way Cassidy played the villainess. Since she already had chemistry with much of the cast, Cassidy was able to twist and hurt the heroes in her new evil identity, making her a genuinely affecting character.

Some fans were sad to see Laurel go, but it's hard to argue with the role Cassidy was given after.
9 HURT: CYNTHIA ADDAI-ROBINSON – AMANDA WALLER
The Suicide Squad (aka Task Force X) was not the brightest spot in Arrow's series run, as many of the less popular villains ended up there for storylines that were later squashed when the Suicide Squad mainstream film was announced. At the helm of this sinking ship was Amanda Waller, played by Cynthia Addai-Robinson, who never managed to more than an annoyance.

Waller was the head of A.R.G.U.S., ostensibly a crime-fighting government agency. Waller's totalitarian tendencies revealed her to be more of a villain than a heroine, and through it all, Addai-Robinson's performance was flat.

It's hard to play a role that Viola Davis nailed on the big screen.

We know Waller was supposed to be harsh and guarded, but you've got to do more with your character than just smirk and say strict stuff all the time.
4 HURT: VINNIE JONES – BRICK
Casting an actor to play a supervillain similar to a supervillain they've already played isn't always a great idea. A perfect example is Vinnie Jones, enlisted by Arrow to play Danny Brickwell, aka Brick.

Jones might seem to be a good fit for the role, having played the Juggernaut in X-Men: The Last Stand, but the execution was lacking here in more than one way.

First, Brick himself was a fairly bland character, distinguished by sadistic tendencies and a brutal outlook on life and not much else. Second, Jones phoned in his performance, playing Brick's rage and giving him absolutely no nuance or subtlety. Finally, the writers tried to make him important by giving him a painful history with the Merlyn family, but it felt pointless by then.
2 HURT: JIMMY AKINGBOLA – BARON REITER
Some roles demand a great actor just to be the least bit memorable. An extremely bland character, Baron Reiter needed all the help he could get, and unfortunately, Jimmy Akingbola didn't provide it.

Reiter was the antagonist in the flashback subplot of season four, which was marked by the introduction of dark magic to the Arrowverse.

Magic was a mixed bag for the Arrowverse, and Reiter was one of least interesting parts of it. Reiter was a simple soldier who sought magical power-- and that was about it. Neither the writing nor Akingbola added much texture or nuance to the character, making his scenes noticeably boring to watch.
1 SAVED: MANU BENNETT – DEATHSTROKE
Deathstroke is almost certainly the defining villain of Arrow's series run, and it's mostly thanks to Manu Bennett's performance as the legendary mercenary.

Slade Wilson's story is told both through flashbacks and the main narrative, starting in Oliver's past as his mentor and ally and morphing into a crazed soldier driven by nothing but a desire for vengeance.

Manu Bennett fit this role so well that it's hard to imagine anyone else playing Slade nowadays.

Bennett brought an intimidating presence that hid some surprising tenderness, and his transformation from friend to foe is one of the best arcs in the series.

Fans are happy to see Deathstroke return, especially now that he's less of a villain.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Ricardo Diaz is everything fans wanted Prometheus to be in Arrow Season 5. Kirk Acevedo’s performance made Diaz truly menacing as he pitted the whole city against Oliver Queen. Through Diaz, the show’s writers seemed to find a glorious sweet spot between political storytelling and superhero adventure.

Automatic FAIL just based on this alone. Are they high? Did they watch Arrow on Earth 2? IDGI.

• Love 13
12 hours ago, tv echo said:

15 HURT: AMY GUMENICK – CUPID
It was hard not to let out a groan whenever Cupid made a reappearance on Arrow. A former police officer who became obsessed with the Arrow, Carrie Cutter started shooting heart-shaped arrows at whomsoever she chose.

This was fun for an episode or two after her debut in season three, but fans were tired of seeing Cupid by season four.

We can't blame this character's annoying nature entirely on actress Amy Gumenick-- the writers of Arrow never seemed to scratch beneath the surface with Cupid, seeming to like the character without knowing how to make her more of a gimmick.

It didn't help that Gumenick lines were frequently delivered in a cutesy, flirty way that was bound to get frustrating before long.

Maybe it's just me but I have a soft spot for Cupid.  She's become a character I enjoy.  She was absurd but I liked that she owned that and her habit of crushing on new guys amuses me.   She was a good fit on the Suicide Squad. Her last appearance with Lady cop and someone else that I can't even recall wasn't memorable in the least though.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 17
13 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Maybe it's just me but I have a soft spot for Cupid.  She's become a character I enjoy.  She was absurd but I liked that she owned that and her habit of crushing on new guys amuses me.   She was a good fit on the Suicide Squad. Her last appearance with Lady cop and someone else that I can't even recall wasn't memorable in the least though.  

Yeah, the only appearance I was underwhelmed by was that evil lady trio episode. I really hoped I would like it, but it was such a let down when it aired. 

13 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Not just you liked Cupid as a villain too.

And the Bee lady. I miss the days of fun random villains who were less lame than 3D if you think about it. 

I have to be honest, I thought Bee lady was horrid. It was a campy character but the actress ruined it even more. Maybe Brie should have been a robot. I might have bought her portrayal that way.

• Love 1

I only listed the Arrow questions below (the correct answers appear with your score at the end of the quiz) - btw, if you don't know the answer to #3, then you shouldn't be here (just kidding ;)) - I scored 93%...

Quiz: How Well Do You REALLY Know The Arrowverse?
Matthew Allen   September 19, 2018
http://whatculture.com/tv/quiz-how-well-do-you-really-know-the-arrowverse

It's incredible to see a show like Arrow grow into its own television brand. While Marvel may rule the big screen, they can't hold a candle to the small screen phenomena that is DC's Arrowverse.
With so many characters and stories both behind and in front of the screen, there's so much to know about the jewel in the CW's crown. Here's 15 questions, let's see if you hit bullseye!

1. How Long Did Oliver Queen Spend On Lian Lu (Flashback And Present Day)?
2. Under What Proviso Did John Barrowman Accept The Role Of Malcolm Merlyn?
3. Which Recurring Character Was Only Slated For A One-off Appearance?
6. Which Character Was NOT Killed Off To Make Way For Their Appearance In Suicide Squad?
7. Who Portrayed Sara Lance In Season 1 Before Caity Lotz Took The Role?
9. Which Big-Bad Had A Wife Named After The Actor's Real-Life Spouse?
10. The Penultimate Episode Of Each Season Of Arrow Is Named After The Songs Of Which Artist?
12. Before Being Cast As The Atom, Which Role Was Brandon Routh Set To Play?
14. Which Fan-Favourite Character Was Set To Appear In The Arrow Episode, "Unthinkable"?

Edited by tv echo

This is the funniest shit ever by Green Arrow TV

We’re also announcing that this is the last category for this year’s GATV Awards. We were running late, but also, at least for this year we are retiring the Best Couple/Pairing category…. since the main couple of the series is married, it didn’t seem right to keep that category afloat

Also if you want to vote for best cliffhanger!

http://www.greenarrowtv.com/2018-greenarrowtv-awards-pick-the-best-cliffhanger-of-arrow-season-6/

5 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

We’re also announcing that this is the last category for this year’s GATV Awards. We were running late, but also, at least for this year we are retiring the Best Couple/Pairing category…. since the main couple of the series is married, it didn’t seem right to keep that category afloat

It's so painfully obvious it's to keep Olicity from winning since this year other characters actually had very clear ships.  Laurel and Diaz (gag) Curtis and his cop.  Dinah and her ex.  And of course Olicity.  That's four in show canon couples.  

• Love 2

They promised us a different kind of storytelling. We already had "Who's in the grave?" in season 4.

eta: having read through the other predictions, they all sound very tongue in cheek.  Even the Murphy Brown one which I truly expect will happen.

Edited by statsgirl

Sure they promised something different, they do it every year and lather, rinse and repeat again. I am looking forward to Beth's take on it though.

I looked through the others as well and yes I don't think they're serious, just I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 

On 20/09/2018 at 10:42 AM, BkWurm1 said:

It's so painfully obvious it's to keep Olicity from winning since this year other characters actually had very clear ships.  Laurel and Diaz (gag) Curtis and his cop.  Dinah and her ex.  And of course Olicity.  That's four in show canon couples.  

Didn't he always use to argue as well that the category didn't have to be relegated to romantic couples/pairings only- that's how he'd justify Oliver and Laurel being options long after their expiration date. 

• Love 1

Christopher Daniels Talks 'All In' Match with Stephen Amell, Possible Future 'Arrow' Appearance
By CONNOR CASEY - September 26, 2018
https://comicbook.com/wwe/2018/09/26/christopher-daniels-stephen-amell-all-in-match-arrow-appearance/

The CW star wound up losing, but Daniels was very impressed with how the rookie handled himself in front of a sold-out crowd for 12 solid minutes.

"I'm personally very proud of the match that I had with Stephen, I feel like, people had a preconceived notions of what a 'celebrity match' could be and I think Stephen sort of threw threw them against the wall and shocked the world," Daniels said. "I was happy with what we did and I was proud of how it turned out."

"I feel like Stephen, he kept his head about him and performed pretty admirably for his first singles match and his third match overall," he added.

Daniels went on to say that after seeing Amell wrestle in just three matches, he believes the Green Arrow could have a successful future in the pro wrestling business if he chose to keep going.

"You know, the three matches that he's had you've seen some of the stuff that he's done and it's wildly athletic," Daniels said. "I don't think it would have been out of the question that he would have been successful at this."

Amell's friendship with Rhodes eventually led to the reigning NWA Worlds Heavyweight Champion getting cast as a Derek Sampson in the fifth and six seasons of Arrow.

Daniels has been building up his own acting career lately with cameo appearances on GLOW and Love while also starring in the Waterworld stunt show at Universal Studios Hollywood. He said if the opportunity came about, he'd definitely be up for an appearance on Arrow as well.

"You know, if that opportunity came to me I'd certainly be happy with it and do my best with it and that's sort of the idea now, like doing the Waterworld stunt show has opened the doors for me in terms of stunt performing and acting and hopefully, I'm hoping to sort of parlay that into more work in the future," Daniels said. "If Arrow came around, yeah I wouldn't turn it down, that's for sure."

Edited by tv echo

Warning: if you click on article link, article includes a spoilery pic...

Arrow: 10 times Felicity Smoak was our hero
by Alexandria Ingham   September 27, 2018
https://netflixlife.com/2018/09/27/arrow-10-times-felicity-smoak-hero/

There would be no Arrow without Felicity Smoak. As Overwatch, she is the glue that holds the team together. Here are the 10 times she was our hero.
Taking on the role of Overwatch, she is the eyes and ears for everyone. She’s literally the glue that keeps everyone together. She’s also the one that helps to keep Oliver grounded and focused.
She isn’t just a hero for her work in HQ as Overwatch. Felicity is also the heart and soul of the whole series. She’s the one that offers the best advice, even when she’s not in the greatest mood herself. This is the woman that has your back when you need it the most but will also call you out when you’re being an unreasonable so-and-so.

10. Every time she hacked into databases
9. When she figured out Moira was part of the Undertaking
8. When she goes undercover at Alonzo’s casino
7. When she reminded Oliver he could fight
While everyone else panicked and dealt with their own problems, Felicity was there for Oliver when he needed her. As the city literally burns and it looks like there’s no way to stop the Foundry, Oliver suffered a major hero crisis. He believed he had failed everyone.
In the end, Felicity saw through the pity party and was able to pick him up when he needed it. While everyone left him or dealt with other problems (Diggle was on a mission for Oliver at this point, so we’ll let him off), Felicity stayed. She listened to enough of Oliver’s words to be able to argue back.

And boy did she argue! It was because of her that Oliver got the support he needed to fight. Yet again, she proved that support was a crucial part of being a hero—and this time it wasn’t with the use of her computers.

She proved him the emotional support she needed. See, emotions are strong!
6. When she was just a friend to Sara
5. That time she got Oliver to fight for her

Oliver was used to fighting for his life. He would take down the bad guys and protect the good. Well, eventually it was about the good people, thanks to Felicity’s. However, one thing he wouldn’t do was fight for something that he truly wanted: love.

We could all see it. Olicity was the ship to root for. They were so good for each other. Polar opposites in so many ways, their differences became their strengths. They could play off each other and push one another. It took a while for Oliver to see the truth.

In fact, it was Felicity who saw it first. And she encouraged Oliver to fight for love.

It was never going to be an easy right. Oliver didn’t believe he deserved it. After everything he’d been through, seen and done, he never believed that love was something that he deserved. Felicity made him realize that everyone was worthy of this. Oliver, especially, was worthy.

However, he would need to fight for this love. She even gave him the person to fight for: her. In a tearful message, she begged that Oliver didn’t go off to fight to die because she wanted him to make it through alive.

Maybe this didn’t technically play the hero in the traditional sense. However, it did give us hope for Olicity and it did give Oliver something to hold onto when he went off to fight. That led to Oliver being around to save more people, so definitely a hero.
4. When she called Oliver out after his return
Who was the one to do it? Of course, it was Felicity. There was no other person who could do something like this. After all, Felicity had proven time and time again that she would call Oliver out on everything that he pulled.
The best thing is, she did all this while being in love with him. I’ll admit that this was some excellent writing from the Arrow writer’s room. Many others would have written Felicity as a nervous and shy woman who couldn’t stand up against the man she loved. That wasn’t in Felicity’s nature.

We’d seen Felicity stand up against Oliver before for all types of reasons. It was in this moment that she became a hero for us all to prove that love doesn’t mean you let someone walk all over you or that calling them out will lead to the end of the relationship.
3. Felicity literally saves Curtis’ life
Since flight didn’t initially work, Felicity decides to step up and fight. Grabbing a machine gun, she shields Curtis and literally saves his life.

Of course, everyone is surprised to find out that Felicity was able to fight off a metahuman. Nobody believed it would happen, including some of the viewers. We watched through our fingers in fear that we’d lose our favorite hacker.

This is why she’s such a hero. At one point, Felicity probably never even thought she’d survive through this. This is a woman who will always put herself in harm’s way to protect those she loves. She’s done it before and will do it again.

Her selfless actions are what makes her a hero. And then the look of a hacker girl takes people by surprise and makes it clear she’s the strongest person on the team.
2. Preventing Oliver from bleeding out
Technically, Diggle was the one that did the saving, but Felicity was a crucial element. She was the one Oliver trusted to get her to his father’s old factory. It was Felicity who trusted in Oliver to drive him out there when everyone else would have opted for the hospital. Then she remained calm despite feeling like a bag of nerves inside while she helped Diggle patch him up.
1. When she encouraged Team Arrow to do better
Many others would either turn their backs or not try to talk two men down. Felicity isn’t “many others.” She’s not the damsel in distress. Throughout the last six seasons, she has always been the strongest player on the team—even when she’s emotional, she’s proving that emotions make you stronger and can help get the job done.

It was Felicity’s heart and emotions that drove her in this moment of Arrow Season 1. She made it clear that both would have to do better. This was non-negotiable, even though Oliver certainly tried to put up a fight.

Team Arrow did change. More villains were injured rather than killed, so justice could be served. This may bite Felicity in the butt now that Oliver is in prison, but we know that Oliver can look out for himself for the most part. Plus, she did the right thing.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 8