Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

The reviewers that were suggesting Felicity wanting to make her mark outside of the team means she leaves with the intent of making that happen aka that she feels she has to leave to make that happen are misunderstanding what the show was setting up.  Felicity since season 3 has wanted more than just the mission.  But she also cleary has shown how much being Overwatch means to her.   And then there's the husband she adores.  She's not going to be seperated from that life willingly.

She's not leaving to pursue independence, but when she's off on her own (raising Mia alone for whatever reasons we will find out) she will at least still be able to find some fulfillment in what she creates (Smoak Tech) in addition to whatever covert stuff we know she will still dabble in as Overwatch.   The writing is not talking about her wanting to make her mark to explain her absence but to explain that she still is able to find a level of satisfaction when she is off on her own.  She'll be meeting an important goal in her life.

This is not like Curtis with vague plans and intentions; we already know what she's going to do in the future.  The show is just emphasizing what Smoak Tech and that legacy will mean to her.    

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, tv echo said:

Here's another reviewer suggesting that Felicity's desire to create her own legacy separate from Team Arrow is a setup for her exit from the show...

Arrow – Season 7 Episode 19
Apr 23, 2019 | Posted by Craig McKenzie
https://kneelbeforeblog.co.uk/tv/arrow-spartan/

LOL Emiko's "connection" to Rene is not interesting in the least! This writer SMH

5 hours ago, tv echo said:

DIGGLE DOESN’T GET ALONG WITH ERNIE HUDSON AND A SURPRISE DEATH IN LATEST ARROW
Trent Moore  April 23, 2019
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/arrow-recap-diggle-ernie-hudson-surprise-death

A good story in there somewhere? It's a rehash of Diggle and Andy Which apparently this shows Writers cant have JJ and Connor be actual brothers that love each other in the Future no they have to be like Diggle and POS Andy.

• Love 1

TV Review: ‘Arrow: Spartan’
POSTED APRIL 23RD, 2019 BY DARRYL JASPER
https://sciencefiction.com/2019/04/23/tv-review-arrow-spartan/

As blazingly impressive as his introduction was, Adrian Paul’s Dante has fizzled out just as quickly. Instead of him being the brains behind the Ninth Circle, the writers have posited Emiko in that role, a role wholly unsuited for her and even more unbelievable. Dante’s fate after Emiko learns the truth of her mother’s death, provided he is truly dead, is a prime example of how a show can absolutely waste a character. The swerve they tried to convey with Emiko working with the Ninth Circle was initially a strong one, though it crumbled the moment she was given leadership over the massively secret organization.

More immediately, however, is, now that she knows who killed her mother, what is the point of her continuing along the Ninth Circle’s mission? Is she a true believer now, married to the cause or were her actions purely driven by that feeling of loss, of being alone with no family to call her own? With three weeks left, it’s doubtful she’ll ‘see the light’ prior to the finale which doesn’t bode well for the drama to play out these next few episodes in anything other than a disappointing fashion.

Edited by tv echo

Arrow Review: Spartan (Season 7 Episode 19)
April 23, 2019   Brianna Martinez
https://www.telltaletv.com/2019/04/arrow-review-spartan-season-7-episode-19/

The Diggle family drama is the big draw of the hour, drawing on a disappointingly underutilized aspect of the show until this point: the fact that John Diggle has a family we’ve never heard of, except Carly back in Arrow Season 1, and Andy’s formal introduction in Arrow Season 4.
Stewart’s appearance leads to a series of solid Quiggle moments, as Oliver and Digg bond over their shared daddy issues. Their moments serve as a reminder of one of my favorite parts of Arrow: the OTA-bonding moments that are reminiscent of their earlier days in the bunker.
Ernie Hudson as General Stewart is a beautiful addition to “Spartan,” playing the initially tough, but eventually understanding four-star General/stepfather very well. It’s a wonderful mix of the military personality and emotion, leading to their final scene together.
Seeing Felicity push the self-destruct button on Archer is tough to watch after seeing what it took to make it. But with Archer technically gone, questions arise about exactly how Archer (or some version of it) comes back to haunt her in the future.
-I am fully behind Connor and Mia a.k.a. SmoaknHawke. The tension there is fun and as clear as day, from their talks about Connor’s family drama to that moment where they choose to hide behind that shelf.
-I’m not sure who Dr. Will Magnus is, but the emphasis on his name and seeming importance in the universe makes me believe he’ll probably be popping up again.

Edited by tv echo

‘ARROW’ 7×19 REVIEW: ‘SPARTAN’ 
ALYSSA BARBIERI  APRIL 23, 2019
http://fangirlish.com/arrow-7x19-review-spartan/

Even John Diggle wasn’t enough to save this episode for me.

Maybe it’s the fact that it’s the end of the season, and I’ve had to put up with a lot on this show this year. Maybe it’s the fact that this is an episode I should’ve gotten back in season 2 or 3. Maybe it’s the fact that I know this show ends after the season 7 finale when Felicity exits.

I’m trying to savor every episode, but I’m so far “meh” with what this show has become that it’s making it quite difficult. I want closure, I need closure. I wish Arrow were ending with season 7. I wish the crossover event didn’t dictate when it ends. I wish the crossover event didn’t dictate how Arrow’s mythology developed, force to introduce supers into the mix.
At a time where Felicity is contemplating her legacy, it feels especially emotional considering that Emily Bett Rickards is establishing Felicity’s legacy on Arrow, as she exits after season 7. As Felicity yearns to be remembered as something other than Overwatch, we all hope that Felicity is remembered for how she was a hero that never needed a costume or powers to be strong or super.
Felicity wants her legacy to be lasting and impactful. And she also wants it to be something other than just Overwatch. Felicity wants to help people in more than one way. While she loves saving people as Overwatch, being able to create the kind of technology that can help them is something too enticing, especially for a hero like her to pass up.

From the moment Felicity Smoak graced our screens in season 1, she was destined to leave a lasting impact. No one knew it yet. But that’s exactly what came to happen. She changed the entire dynamic of this show, for the better, and inspired a new generation of girls when it came to being a hero without a cape.

So it’s fitting, as Alena told Felicity, that it wasn’t some technology that was destined to change the world. FELICITY SMOAK was destined to change the world. And even after she takes her final bow in the season 7 finale, that’s a legacy that will live on long after Arrow ends after next season.
Because I’ll be damned if Mia and Connor don’t have it. You know, it. The chemistry. The sizzle. The body language that conveys several emotions at once while leaving you wanting to know more. All I know is that when Mia and Connor are on screen, I can’t help but yearn for a spinoff that features our Next Gen OTA, with our OTP being Oliver and Felicity’s daughter with Diggle’s son. Talk about carrying on a legacy.
Arrow feels like a ticking clock at this point as the end of each episode signals another episode closer to an Arrow without Felicity Smoak. And I’ll be damned if this show isn’t wasting valuable time on some random sister that doesn’t deserve Oliver’s benefit of the doubt or the airtime she’s getting.

At this point, it’s the same old thing at this point. Oliver believes he can save Emiko. Rene thinks this isn’t the real Emiko. Then, Emiko goes and proves them both wrong. Lather, rinse, repeat. It’s repetitive and not in the slightest bit entertaining.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

They're probably shedding crocodile tears about EBR's departure over at this site...

Arrow Season 7 Episode 19 Review: Spartan
Brandon Vieira at April 22, 2019 
https://www.tvfanatic.com/2019/04/arrow-season-7-episode-19-review-spartan/

The upcoming eighth and final season of Arrow will also be a disappointing one for Olicity Fanatics, now that Emily Bett Rickards is departing the show at the end of Arrow Season 7. 

It seems like Arrow is attempting to replace that void with a new possible power couple that if given a chance, could fill the gaping hole Olicity will be leaving behind. 
The priorities in his life are continuously shifting thanks to a Mia Queen. Connor and Mia's relationship is a special one that I anticipate will play a massive role on Arrow's final season. 
They share a deep connection despite not knowing a ton about each other. It could be because of the strong bond formed between their fathers, but you can tell by the way they look at each other that their bond doesn't feel forced. It's organic. 

While we didn't get to witness it, it's clear Mia and Connor's connection goes way back, and while they have more important things to worry about than a will they/won't they romance, you can't fight chemistry forever. 

Soon enough these two are going to give in to their desires, and it's going to be steamy! 
They won't be able to measure up to Olicity simply because their love story has been given way more time to be told, but Mia and Connor will ensure that Arrow won't be lacking in the romance department in its final days. 
As for the future, it wouldn't be a huge shock if Felicity gets murdered. That would make these Galaxy people seem like legitimate threats, which at the moment they don't feel like one just yet. 

Edited by tv echo

I see why you said they are shedding crocodile tears.  They come off mocking the Olicity fandom and gleeful over the idea of Felicity being murdered.  I'm sure they don't even know how obvious they are.  

Chris King now has his own blog for his reviews...

Arrow Season 7 Episodes 18 & 19 Review: “Lost Canary” & “Spartan”
Chris King   April 24, 2019
https://ckinger13.wordpress.com/2019/04/24/arrow-season-7-episodes-18-19-review-lost-canary-spartan/

Unlike Quentin’s well-intentioned actions from last season, this moment, in fact this whole episode really, is about Black Siren’s ability to forge her own destiny with the support of women who don’t want her to the best version of anyone else—they truly believe she can be the best version of herself. Felicity, Dinah, and Sara provide Black Siren not just with encouragement but with full, honest compassion and understanding. The friendship that these three women provide for Black Siren also helps her realize what she truly wants more than anything, which is not to simply be a beacon of good for Earth-1 but to right so many of the wrongs she committed back on Earth-2. That’s why Black Siren returns to her world at the end of “Lost Canary” not just with the knowledge that she has a It’s the best, most compelling, and most successful approach that Arrow has taken towards the Black Siren redemption arc, and it’s a shame that it only occurs now near the end of Season 7 rather than somewhere near the midway point of Season 6, when it would have delivered a more powerful impact.
Diggle and Stewart’s exchange is not just powerful for what it resolves about Diggle’s past, but it’s also significant for what it reflects about Dig’s future and, in particular, the future of his two sons, Connor Hawke and JJ. As we see in the flash-forwards, Diggle’s adopted son has chosen a much different, much more heroic path than his biological child, despite the fact that his birth father, Bronze Tiger, was originally a criminal recruited to the Suicide Squad. The message of this storyline is one that can be found throughout Arrow: family does not only mean blood—we can choose who are mothers, fathers, brothers, and sisters all are, just like how Oliver chose to create a family when he trusted Diggle and Felicity almost a decade ago. In the Arrowverse, people are not defined by their last names; they are able to shape and mold their own destinies, whether it’s Connor Hawke becoming a hero like his adoptive father or Felicity Smoak creating a new form of technology, something different than Archer, that will change the world. The characters that populate Arrow look at their families’ actions of the past and learn from them, either rejecting the sins of their parents like Oliver or embracing their mother and father’s greatest strengths like Mia. By examining the past, they make their own futures, and hopefully, by the time the show ends next season, Mia, Connor, William, and the rest of the Star City 2040 crew will have figured out how to forge a better one for themselves.
So we get Black Siren in the flash-forwards, but no Diggle? Come on, Arrow writers. I want to see old-man John Diggle kicking ass, just like he and Oliver do in the opening of “Spartan.” Man, that was a hell of a great action scene to kick off the episode.
So many of the exchanges between Oliver and Felicity in “Lost Canary” are great. However, I particularly love when he points at her stomach, calling Baby Mia “precious cargo” and their conversation at the end. “So that whole taking it easy thing?” “Well, you know I’m not good at that…”
In an effort to be fully transparent with all of you, I will say that the reason I no longer am writing reviews for the site I previously wrote for is due to some MAJOR plagiarism issues. For more information on the topic, please feel free to read this insightful, informative, and well-documented Twitter thread by Vulture’s Megh Wright. I also highly recommend following these awesome former TVOM colleagues of mine: Nick Hogan, Araceli Aviles, Randy Dankievitch, Hunter Bishop, Tiffany C. Lockhart, and Jasef Wisener.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

The 9 Saddest Arrowverse Parent Deaths (PHOTOS)
Meredith Jacobs April 24, 2019
https://www.tvinsider.com/gallery/arrowverse-parent-deaths-moira-lance-henry-thomas/

Robert Queen (Jamey Sheridan), Arrow
Robert may not have been the best father (just ask Emiko) or a faithful husband, but he made the ultimate sacrifice. Knowing he and Oliver (Stephen Amell) couldn't both survive following the sinking of the Queen's Gambit, Robert shot himself in the head to give his son a chance.
Moira Queen (Susanna Thompson), Arrow
Slade Wilson (Manu Bennett) planned to make Oliver choose between his mother and sister to parallel the choice he had to make on the island between Sara (Caity Lotz) and Shado (Celina Jade). Oliver wanted Slade to kill him instead. 

However, Moira refused to let that happen and sacrificed herself. "Both my children will live," she told Slade.
Samantha Clayton (Anna Hopkins), Arrow
Adrian Chase (Josh Segarra) kidnapped Oliver's friends and family and brought them to Lian Yu. Though he had the entire island wired with explosives, which went off when he killed himself, only one person died as a result: Samantha, the mother of Oliver's son. 

In her dying moments, she made Oliver promise he'd be William's father.
Quentin Lance (Paul Blackthorne), Arrow
Quentin suffered quite a bit over the years. He lost Sara (and only found out about her death months later). Then, she was resurrected and went to travel through time. Then, he lost Laurel (Katie Cassidy), only for her evil doppelganger from Earth-2 to appear. 

He tried to get through to Earth-2 Laurel, which ultimately led to Diaz (Kirk Acevedo) shooting him. Lance later died of his injuries.

Other deaths discussed in this article:
Nora Allen (Michelle Harrison), The Flash
Henry Allen (John Wesley Shipp), The Flash
Thomas Snow (Kyle Secor), The Flash
Martin Stein (Victor Garber), Legends of Tomorrow
Hank Heywood (Tom Wilson), Legends of Tomorrow

Edited by tv echo

Arrow: Spartan
by Shari    April 2019
https://www.douxreviews.com/2019/04/arrow-spartan.html

For once we have an episode where Daddy Issues abound and none of it involves Oliver. 
Like the present day, the flash forwards revolved around Diggle’s family issues. After weeks of wondering what became of Diggle’s other son, we discover that J.J. has fallen far from the proverbial tree. Connor and J.J. grew up in a military household that put a premium on duty and service. In an act of rebellion, he became the leader of the Deathstroke Gang which, as rebellions go, is about as drastic as you could get. It also feels like history repeating itself. Andy and John reacted to the General in very different ways.  John was determined to prove to him how an honorable soldier should behave, while it seems Andy mastered the fighting and survival skills with none of the morality to balance it out. One can only hope that J.J. escapes his uncle’s fate.
The one possible exception to our Daddy Issues theme is Felicity. She wants a life outside of the vigilante shadows and she thought the Archer program would help her get there. Yet when her invention is stolen and used for nefarious purposes, she wonders if she has become her father. The answer is a resounding no since she was willing to destroy her creation then risk the possibility of it being used for evil. Just for the record, how does someone as intelligent as Felicity not realize how dangerous a program like Archer could be until after the Ninth Circle got their hands on it?
Oliver and Emiko’s fight was particularly brutal. And either Stephen Amell has upped his hand to hand skills or he’s grown a lot less precious about his stunt double performing. 

Edited by tv echo

Arrow - Lost Canary & Spartan - Review
Posted by Lisa Macklem at April 29, 2019
https://www.spoilertv.com/2019/04/arrow-lost-canary-spartan-review.html

Arrow has officially become a shadow of its former self. With apologies for doubling up on my reviews again, it seems that this ship is seeing everyone flee. These last two episodes tied for the lowest ratings ever for the show – perhaps not surprising, given that we know Emily Bett Rickards (Felicity) is soon to leave, even before next year’s final 10 episodes. But let’s jump in anyway…
What I did like about this episode was seeing Laurel back in that Black Siren outfit! And I liked that we saw her in the Black Canary outfit in the future storyline. I loved seeing Caity Lotz guest star as White Canary/Sara – and doing the salmon ladder – even if we do only really see her from the waist up. The chemistry between Lotz and Cassidy Rodgers was as good as it always is, so the scenes at Quentin’s grave were very well done. The fight scenes were good – as always – but it’s increasingly difficult to make them actually stand out anymore.
Unfortunately, there were a lot of things that bugged me about this episode. Laurel teaming up with Shadow Thief (Carmel Amit) and using her DA contacts – which resulted in at least 2 deaths – had no ramifications for her? Dinah is simply willing to let those murders slide? And of course, Dinah’s entire holier-than-thou attitude through most of the episode. Felicity wasn’t wrong on calling Dinah on her own past. Maybe slightly less annoying then that Dinah finally does relent at the end.

I didn’t like Oliver and Diggle (David Ramsey) being shunted into the subplot. I would have minded a lot less if we’d had more Oliver all season – a definite major symptom of why this show is ending. Also annoying was that in addition to a tattoo in the future, Dinah also has pins to wear to honor a promise. And Mia (Katherine McNamara) being stupid and pouty and having to be saved… so over that. And Oliver insisting that he go off on his own at the beginning of the series is NOTHING like this pouty, willful teenager.

Let’s move on to “Spartan” which was written by the team of Benjamin Raab and Deric A Hughes and was directed by Avi Youabian, whose other credits include MacGyver and The Walking Dead. Once again, this episode did have a nice underlying thread of family that actually cut through both the present and future storylines. It’s mind-boggling to me, given the prevalence of the Felicity storyline here that Emily Bett Rickards has chosen to leave the show.
I have a few main thoughts about these two episodes. First, I did like the themes in both of them, regardless of the success of the actual execution. Secondly, I did feel like we were finally getting some focus on where this season and the finale are headed. Finally, I’m still not happy with them clearly cleaning character house in the present storyline in order to focus more attention on the future. Did we really need this entirely new show, focused on a younger demographic? Well, CW, if you wanted to chase away the older demographic, you’re doing a fine job. ...

Edited by tv echo

Arrow recap: Roy's return causes problems for Team Arrow
By Chancellor Agard April 29, 2019
https://ew.com/recap/arrow-season-7-episode-20/

From there, Dinah questions the other members of Team Arrow (Felicity’s interrogation was my favorite) and flashbacks reveal more details about the disastrous mission:
Overall, I thought this episode was okay. The structure didn’t really work for me because none of the other members of Team Arrow made sense as the murderers except for Roy. Not only is it impossible to imagine Diggle, Rene, or Oliver beating the guards to death under any circumstances, but the show also hinted at Roy’s bloodlust problems way back in “Star City 2040.” So, it was pretty obvious where this was going from the start. That being said, I appreciate that Arrow tried to break away the formula, the fight scenes were great as always, and the ending makes me very excited for next week’s episode.
Oliver asked for Roy to come back instead of Thea because he’s worried telling her about Emiko will reopen old wounds and he’s trying to protect her from that until Emiko has been apprehended. This is some disappointing and old-school Oliver behavior, but it makes sense because I don’t think Willa Holland is returning any time soon.

Edited by tv echo

Agree to disagree...

ARROW SEASON 7, EPISODE 20: "CONFESSIONS" REVIEW
BY JESSE SCHEEDEN   29 APR 2019
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/04/30/arrow-season-7-episode-20

It’s basically an unwritten rule that any show that sticks around this long has to do a Rashomon-style episode at some point. It’s such a well-worn trope by now that the novelty factor is almost entirely gone. Fortunately, “Confessions” managed to breathe a bit of life into the formula. Usually, the idea is that you have a bunch of unreliable narrators recounting their individual versions of a story. Here, the unreliable narrators were all coordinating with one another to skew the truth just enough to throw the police off. A subtle difference, but a welcome wrinkle all the same.
The main benefit of the nonlinear format is that it allowed a lot of plot to be crammed into a single episode. The usual fluff and banter were kept to a minimum, leaving only two questions to be addressed - what happened on this ill-fated mission, and what is team Arrow trying to hide? There was a steady, exciting build-up to the big reveal, with several Team Arrow members seemingly implicated before the true culprit was finally revealed.
In short, “Confessions” covered a lot of ground in a short amount of time and helped give the series the momentum it needs heading into these last two episodes. Between this episode and “Emerald Archer,” it’s hard to ignore the fact that the series shines brightest when it takes the most narrative risks. That’s something the writers should keep in mind for Season 8.

Edited by tv echo

On point, as usual...

Arrow Season 7 Episode 20 Review: “Confessions”
Chris King   April 30, 2019
https://ckinger13.wordpress.com/2019/04/30/arrow-season-7-episode-20-review-confessions/ 

“Confessions” is an incredibly frustrating episode of Arrow. If you follow me on Twitter, you’ll know that I initially found it frustrating because I assumed the worst: that the Arrow writers had chosen to do what the writing staff had done for most of Season 6 and place the importance of the plot above the integrity of character. I believed that Arrow was being inconsistent with its characterization of Dinah yet again and that, after multiple episodes where she not only fought alongside Team Arrow but also aided Black Siren in finding some form of redemption, she had devolved back into the blind, rigid, SCPD captain drone she had been earlier this season. Thankfully, that is not the case, as the final 15 minutes or so of “Confessions” reveals that Dinah, along with Oliver, Felicity, and the rest of the team, are actually all putting on an act as a part of long-con to cover up the true culprit who committed the murder of the two innocent guards: Roy Harper.
In the first half of “Confessions,” when it’s still not clear that what Dinah is doing is purely a performance, these brief moments with Roy reflect the appeal of the Team Arrow dynamic and, really, Arrow as a whole: the emphasis on family, whether they’re blood, friends, or fellow vigilantes. It doesn’t matter if you haven’t seen them in months because they’ve been gallivanting all over the world destroying Lazarus Pits (which is, ultimately, the cause behind Roy’s murderous actions), or if you see them every day on the streets, protecting Star City—that familial bond will never be broken. That’s why, when Roy tells Oliver that he can’t ask him and the rest of the team to cover for him, Oliver’s response is clear and simple. “You never have to ask me,” Oliver tells him. “Ever.” This is the same type of loyalty and devotion that Oliver has shown to his teammates in the past, even when they betray him like Rene felt forced to do last season when his custody of Zoe was threatened.
But before we begin theorizing about next week, let me try to best articulate why “Confessions” bothers me so much as an episode of Arrow. To me, the twist involving Roy, informing us about his death and the Lazarus Pit bloodlust, could have been handled in so many other, less time-consuming and more efficient and effective ways. Have Roy explain this information to William and Mia in the flash-forwards. Have Felicity ask him about his bloodlust after they reunited weeks ago during the rescue mission to save her. Have him be upfront with Oliver regarding his death at the start of this episode so that there’s tension about when and if he won’t be able to control these murderous urges, just like there was always tension in the past with Thea. Honestly, there are so many ways that Arrow could have done this storyline, but by propping it up as this major mystery and spending nearly an entire episode on this dull, tedious long-con at the SCPD, the writers ultimately chose the worst option possible, giving us one less hour of the team actually bonding and working together to hunt down Emiko and providing us with one less hour of quality Felicity Smoak material.

And given the fact that Emily Bett Rickards, and therefore Felicity Smoak, is gone until (most likely) Arrow‘s series finale after the Season 7 finale in two weeks, I personally would like for the show to deliver more substantive moments involving her. They don’t all have to be with Oliver, and frankly, I don’t want them to all be with Oliver. Give me all the Felicity and Diggle scenes. Felicity, Mia, and William scenes. Felicity and Roy scenes. Felicity, Dinah, and Rene scenes. In two weeks, Arrow will be losing an integral part of its DNA, one-third of OTA, and the show needs to make the most of the time it has left with her instead of jerking its audience around with a mystery story that’s more boring than it is thrilling, more exasperating than it is compelling. Arrow usually steps up to the plate and delivers during the final two episodes of the season. Here’s hoping that Beth Schwartz and her team can keep that streak alive with more focused, captivating storytelling in next week’s installment, “Living Proof.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Arrow Season 7 Episode 20 Review – ‘Confessions’
APRIL 30, 2019 BY JESSIE ROBERTSON 
https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2019/04/arrow-season-7-episode-20-review-confessions/

The revelation that Roy had died since we last saw him, in the midst of himself, Thea and Nyssa destroying all remaining Lazarus Pits, he ended up needing one. The uncontrollable rage he felt after emerging from the pit (ala Thea and Sarah, although the latter doesn’t show many signs anymore) hit him in that moment and he bludgeoned two innocent men to death, unable to control it or stop it. What happens is Oliver has Dinah cover for them and run this elaborate ruse so the SCPD believes instead that Emiko murdered them. It’s an elaborate gross cover up really, and pulls back some threads from a younger Oliver, but feels firmly rooted in his philosophy now that family is more important than ever. This episode poses a legit, tough moral conversation and you could look at the whole team basically as accessories to murder, which again, calling back, is nothing new for Oliver, or even Diggle, a former soldier, but we’re talking murder, not self-defense, not war.
This was an episode centered around one time sapping gimmick: the interrogations we pretty much knew to be false. Dinah states in dire terms if this info gets out (which Emiko already promised it would) the vigilante-SCPD connection is pretty much dead, but it feels like it was probably destined to be anyways, as much as I heralded this move earlier in the season. Our cliffhanger looks grim, but with another season on the books, we know it’s not.

Edited by tv echo

Arrow: “Confessions” Review
Posted By: Taylor Cole  on: April 30, 2019
https://thenerdstash.com/arrow-confessions-review/

25 minutes in, I was convinced that “Confessions” was going to be my first 1 out of 5 Arrow review for season 7. At most, I thought it would barely reach a 2 out of 5. It was slow and a chore to get through due to Dinah’s attitude. Those last 30 minutes completely changed my mind. By no means was this the best episode of Arrow season 7. But, it certainly set up a few awesome moments and storylines.

I had this whole rant ready in my head bashing Dinah for her absolute stupidity this episode. For the better part of “Confessions”, she sounded like a traitor who had no trust in her friends. The past few weeks, in particular, have not been Dinah’s best. She’s been very unlikable at nearly every turn here lately. Watching her grill Team Arrow about the murders was just annoying. At least there were a few hilarious one-liners thrown at her courtesy of Rene, Oliver, and Felicity.

The format of this week’s episode was pretty fun though. We got to see every character’s side of the story via flashbacks and eventually got to see the whole picture. At first, I hated the interrogation scenes but the big twist at the end brought it all together in a satisfying way.
The ramifications for Roy’s uncontrollable bloodlust is immediately the most interesting story right now. Not only did Roy’s bloodlust lead to the murder of two innocent guards but it could have been the catalyst for all of the wrong that happens to Star City in the future. Vigilantes supposedly ruined Star City, according to the flashforwards. It seems that the truth is already about to come out and things aren’t looking too great for Team Arrow’s standing with the public or the SCPD going forward.

ROY HARPER IS BACK JUST IN TIME FOR A MURDER MYSTERY IN THE LATEST ARROW
Trent Moore   April 30, 2019
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/roy-harper-is-back-just-in-time-for-a-murder-mystery-in-the-latest-arrow 

This was an odd episode, with a message that’s even a bit more odd once all is finally revealed. Most of the episode is framed over these broken-up interrogation scenes, with each member of Team Arrow telling a different piece of the story. As these things tend to go, they’re loaded with a few red herrings, with everyone from Oliver to Rene briefly set up as the possible killer. But it turns out the truth is far darker — Roy, back in town to help take down the Ninth Circle, snapped and killed these guards.
Which raises some interesting questions. We’ve seen Oliver veer from adamant to atone sins to doing whatever’s necessary to save the city and back again more than a few times. Yes, Roy couldn’t control himself, and I’m not making the case he should’ve gone down for these deaths. But assembling as a team to willfully lie to the police is a bold, controversial move — and one that’s largely glossed over in the quest to stop the Ninth Circle. It’s almost as if this episode got a bit lost in its fractured story gimmick and let some interesting angles and questions fall to the wayside in the process. Not a bad episode, per se, just one that feels like an awkward approach for the material.
Felicity is still keeping her pregnancy a secret, which makes sense with the world we see in the flash-forwards, where the team was unaware of her child with Oliver. We know Emily Bett Rickards is leaving Arrow at the end of the season, so perhaps she heads into hiding at that point? Clearing the way for a final half-season to do the heavy lifting of setting up Crisis on Infinite Earths?

Edited by tv echo

Arrow season 7, episode 20 review: Confessions
by Scott Brown April 30, 2019
https://bamsmackpow.com/2019/04/30/arrow-season-7-episode-20-review-confessions/ 

Since it began its run all the way back in 2012, Arrow has consistently subverted and changed up its formula several times a season, which it does so again with this episode. This episode is set up as an almost true crime documentary mixed into the narrative threads of this season. What that means is that this episode takes place alternatively in flashbacks to a couple of days previous and in an SCPD interrogation room.

The way that this episode plays out with the constant flashbacks and interrogations feels very different than pretty much every episode of Arrow previously. This is for the best though because it presents this mystery in a way that brings about twist after twist in a way that feels organic and surprising. It moves in a such a way that could only be played out in an episode structured such as this.

The problem with this structure though is that it slightly slows down the momentum of the story at large. However, because the episode is executed so well, this problem becomes a bit of a nitpick at a certain point in the later section of the episode.
With the tension of the murders, and Dinah’s lack of involvement in the aforementioned mission, this brings back the tension that had been underlying the relationship between Team Arrow and the police. The animosity presented in the interrogations is obvious and Oliver even says as much in the beginning of the episode.

Edited by tv echo

ARROW Review 7.20 “Confessions”
By AMELIA EMBERWING Apr. 30, 2019
https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/04/30/arrow-review-7.20-confessions

“Confessions” has great news for anyone who might have been disappointed that Rene Ramirez’s days of ratting out Oliver Queen were over (even if it all was just a part of the plan). Same goes for anyone who was sad that we moved on from Roy Harper’s rage situation four years ago. Arrow’s a game of whodunit this week, and it’s not a good one. Though it tries to build up to a shocking payoff, all it really manages is to pull off is the the most exhausting episode of season seven.
I’m going to save you from reading something boring after watching something boring, so we’re not going to re-document the ins and outs of every confession. Here’s the thing about the “switcheroo” they pulled with Roy: we already saw him give into the blood lust earlier in the season. We knew then that it wasn’t the Mirakuru, because we have proof that someone who experienced it in large doses made it out just fine ages ago without experiencing any relapse. We knew that Roy and Thea were hunting down the Lazarus Pits, and we knew the symptoms of resurrection. The entirety of the episode’s buildup is based on a reveal that most folks had guessed when the wrath first surfaced the last time that we saw Roy in this season.
Thankfully, Arrow has gotten to a point where a bad episode is just bad because they happen in twenty-three episode arcs, and not because they’re rehashing the same nonsense at every turn, or making some yikes-worthy choices. “Confessions” isn’t either of those things, it’s just your run-of-the-mill off episode. It doesn’t make it any better, but it’s still a testament to how far the show’s come under Schwartz and company.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

‘Arrow’ review: 7×20 “Confessions”
Lynsey Neill  April 30, 2019
https://www.purefandom.com/2019/04/30/arrow-review-7x20-confessions/

My criticism with this episode is not really about the storytelling technique itself, I frankly like episodes of television where the characters tell us what happened, while also flashing back. It’s more about doing this episode now. With 2 episodes left in the season, and with 2 episodes left with Felicity Smoak. Having a painfully slow episode just to tell us Roy has Lazarus Pit bloodlust… wasn’t great.

And the fact I can recap it in a sentence… isn’t ramping things up like they should be now that we are in the final stretch. And quite frankly, a lot of fans are going to say “sayonara” when Felicity Smoak is no longer on our TV screens. I wasn’t expecting this episode to be all about Felicity Smoak, more so that in would move the plot along faster, so things feel organic when everything goes to sh*t as hinted in the flash forwards.

Lately, it seems Arrow is more interested in the instant gratification of “this is a cool new episode” instead of, you know, actually moving the plot forward.
-Felicity was adorably eating throughout an interrogation. She is the heart of the show, and can a show survive without its heart? It’s not looking good, I’ll tell you that much.
-Oliver rarely gets the snarky lines, and I enjoyed Stephen Amell’s line reading of “you enjoying yourself, you having a good time?” to the overzealous cop.
-Also, Oliver and Roy’s friendship and bond still holds up. Unfortunately, that same chemistry was never developed with Dinah and Rene. And when Oliver says to Roy, “you never have to ask me. Ever.” I believe it. I’m not sure I’ll believe it when it comes to the newbies.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Arrow – Season 7 Episode 20
Apr 30, 2019 | Posted by Craig McKenzie
https://kneelbeforeblog.co.uk/tv/arrow-confession/

I can’t help but feel that this show is playing catch up with itself at this point. It has taken so long to reveal the main threat of the season because of the various mysteries that were being developed that now there isn’t a lot of time to develop that threat as much as it needs to be.
As much as this structure works there are one too many recounts of the situation. Oliver’s account doesn’t add any extra information so having it feels superfluous. The need to have Oliver’s version of events is understood with him being the series lead but more work should have gone into making his perspective a worthwhile one rather than simply reinforcing what was already known. This stands out in particular as the real version of events comes shortly after so it’s unnecessary to recap the narrative that doesn’t add up at that point.

The return of Roy is welcomed and feeds into the overall narrative in really interesting ways. Oliver’s excuse for calling Roy and leaving Thea out of it is both flimsy and unjustified. A lot of this will be down to Willa Holland’s unwillingness to return but there had to be a better way to write around this that doesn’t have Oliver withholding information from his sister. In fairness Roy does call him out on this but he also backs down once Oliver delivers his excuse. Roy’s return is explained as being a tactic to gain an advantage against the Ninth Circle as the faces of Team Arrow are well known to both them and Emiko so there’s no way they can make use of the element of surprise. Bringing in Roy is meant to get around that disadvantage while having the notable benefit of being someone implicitly trusted by the team.
His involvement is a source of concern to the SCPD as Roy hasn’t been deputised along with the rest of the team so his presence is completely unsanctioned and against the law. The relationship between Team Arrow and the SCPD is a tenuous one so the unilateral decision to involve Roy in Team Arrow’s covert work only makes this worse as it starts to head down the route of vigilante justice again which is something that all parties are actively trying to avoid. The reasoning behind involving Roy is sound but the fact that it wasn’t authorised is a major sticking point and the fact that the mission ended on a problematic note doesn’t help Oliver’s case for bringing him in.

Roy participating in a present day set story is a great callback to the days of old. His interactions with Oliver and Felicity are a lot of fun while being just as natural as they ever were. It was a really nice touch having him bond with Rene over how much they both care about the Glades since that was what motivated Roy to risk his life in the first place. It doesn’t matter what the current dynamic within the show is Roy fits right in and offers a degree of unpredictability to proceedings. It’s also great to see his athletic approach to problems make a return as this made him a visually interesting combatant back in the day.
... Emiko as a villain has been somewhat problematic but focusing on the angle of her being relentlessly driven by hatred of everything associated with her father creates something compelling to latch onto. If possible it would be great to see Thea come up against her. With only 2 episodes left this season and 12 overall it’s easy to see how this could be the beginning of the downfall of trust in vigilantes. If Team Arrow are seen to be a self serving group who think themselves above the law then faith could be lost very quickly.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

TV Review: ‘Arrow: Confessions’
POSTED APRIL 30TH, 2019 BY DARRYL JASPER
https://sciencefiction.com/2019/04/30/tv-review-arrow-confessions/ 

Herein lies a pretty ironic and hypocritical aspect to the episode and Oliver’s line to Rene about people taking responsibilities for their actions. While Roy wasn’t necessarily in his right mind when he killed the two transit guards, does that absolve him of the consequences of that? In a way, it reminds me of the points discussed in Civil War regarding the oversight of vigilante activity; except, in that movie, they weren’t covering up the murderous actions of any protagonist. Add to it that Dinah was involved and it’s a small miracle that the surveillance footage of the incident disappeared.

Only it didn’t. As Oliver tracks Emiko down at the very end, not only does she taunt him with the idea that she’s going to deliver the footage to the SCPD, but she admits to murdering their father by not warning him about the Gambit’s ultimately explosion. It’s a final dig at a brother she hates for no other reason than life wasn’t fair to her and, in that petty rage, Emiko loses any interesting aspects about her character and becomes nothing more than a cookie cutout antagonist, one we’ve seen so many times. In this case, it’s a shame because, if they’d taken just a bit more care with her, she could have been a tragic villain. Instead, we’re left with what ultimately appears to be a bland finale, lacking any sort of emotional weight. And that’s a damn shame.
-What could have been…I have always been a fan of the whole in media res episode opening a lot of TV shows use. Something about backtracking on what led to that moment is such a cool gadget (if not overdone). “Confessions” does a good job with that part; giving us the ‘story’ version and then afterwards, what really happened. Where it fails is in the de-evolution of Emiko’s character. Now, that’s not singularly episode’s fault, but that decision hamstrings what could have been a more dramatic and heartfelt conversation between Oliver and Emiko. Instead, it muddles a cool story device.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Arrow Season 7: 4 Biggest Questions After Episode 20, "Confessions"
BY MATT MORRISON – ON MAY 01, 2019  
https://screenrant.com/arrow-season-7-episode-20-questions/ 

While this does raise the stakes considerably going into the season 7 finale, it makes little sense given Emiko's past actions and words. She said at one point that she was convinced that Oliver was not the same kind of man as Robert Queen was. It also doesn't make sense for her to have been working to protect the Glades as the new Green Arrow if she's now willing to destroy the city just to spite the brother who was given all the advantages that she was denied. There is nothing to justify Emiko's sudden change in attitude apart from sheer insanity, which, while possible, doesn't seem to fit anything we know about her.
... It seems that the rest of Team Arrow has surely been trapped by Emiko Queen's bomb and that their deaths are all but certain.

This might have been a thrilling cliffhanger except for one small problem - thanks to the flash-forward storyline set in Star City 2040, we know for a fact that virtually everyone on Team Arrow is going to be perfectly fine. Roy Harper, Dinah Drake and Rene Ramirez have all been seen alive in the not too distant future. We know that Diggle has to live long enough to adopt the son of Bronze Tiger and to see his biological son, John Diggle Jr., become a rebellious teenager. Ironically, the only member of Arrow's cast whose safety in the immediate future has yet to be confirmed is Oliver Queen himself, ....

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Arrow, ‘Confessions’ Channels Its Inner Usual Suspects to Protect an Old Friend
BY CRAIG WACK · MAY 1, 2019
http://oohlo.com/2019/05/01/arrow-confessions-channels-its-inner-usual-suspects-to-protect-an-old-friend/

Meanwhile in B-plot land:  There’s a lot of Rene and Oliver trying to redeem Emiko. One would think a desire to detonate a biological weapon would be enough to keep you from being invited to Thanksgiving dinner, but Rene and Oliver spend most of the episode searching a haystack for the needle of Emiko’s positive qualities. Thankfully, Emiko puts all that to rest by confessing to Rene that she’s the real leader of the Ninth Circle, and telling Oliver she could have warned their dad about the explosives on the Queen’s Gambit … but didn’t because like so, so many villains on this show, Emiko wants the Queen family to suffer in the most humiliating way possible.

Sex and the Olicity: Once again, not a lot of personal moments between Ollie and Felicity. And, why the hell is a preggers Felicity in an area where a biological agent could be released? That seems dumb even by Team Arrow standards.
Last impressions: This mini-cliffhanger episode is the official start of the end of the season. Emiko has made her big play and now the team has their chance to close in on her. The flashback/interrogation structure added some spice to what would have been a pretty bland story if it were told in a conventional manner. The future jump we’ve seen this year has hamstrung the narrative at times, and it was plainly evident here, because they had to find a reason to ship Roy off to the island so William can find him a few years down the line. The desperation the team had to protect Roy didn’t have the emotional gravity that banding together to protect a current team member like Dinah or Rene would have. You take your wins where you can and after going in circles the past few weeks, Arrow has finally entered the home stretch of the season.

Edited by tv echo

The desperation the team had to protect Roy didn’t have the emotional gravity that banding together to protect a current team member like Dinah or Rene would have.

I completely disagree with this. I'd still be throwing things at my TV if OTA had risked everything again for Dinah and Rene's ungrateful, hypocritical, disloyal, self-righteous asses whereas for Roy at least I sort of cared. Roy is family while I'm pretty sure Rene's looking for the next bus he can throw someone under and Dinah's thinking up new ways to act superior.

• Love 11
(edited)

Arrow Review: Confessions (Season 7 Episode 20)
April 30, 2019  Brianna Martinez
https://www.telltaletv.com/2019/04/arrow-review-confessions-season-7-episode-20/

While the style of storytelling could have been fun to watch as an experiment and deviation from the norm for Arrow, it feels out of place with just 3 episodes remaining in the season and what feels like a lot more story to cover with one of its leads on their way out.
The premise of “Confessions” is solid, but there’s something about the timing of it, and what we ultimately get out of it that feels like there’s something left to be desired.
There are aspects of the hour that stand out, but it’s because of the characters involved and the emotions it calls back to and less about the plot.
With the return of discussions of the Lazarus Pits, also comes the frustrating return of fragments of that civil war storyline from Arrow Season 6, with Dinah and Rene seemingly picking sides again when it comes to Roy.
Between Oliver heartbreakingly discovering that Emiko could have stopped the Gambit going down, Felicity’s frantic calling, and the imagery that invokes the show’s emotional final shot from Season 1, this moment stands out among the hour.
-Felicity’s pregnancy cravings add a level of comedy and lightness to her interrogation, from the gummy bears to the sudden need for cake, cupcakes, and pizza.
-Pitting the newbies against OTA and Roy feels like an unwise choice, even for part of the hour. I also can’t believe they’re still opting to go down this route at all. It did them no favors last season, and at this point, I feel their believable dynamic with OTA is tenuous at best (with Rene being rehabilitated the most).

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Is Dynasty 'Double' a Delight? Did Kids Handle Masturbation Alright? Was Legends Nipple Squicky? And More Qs
By Vlada Gelman, Matt Webb Mitovich, Michael Ausiello, Andy Swift, Kimberly Roots, Ryan Schwartz, Dave Nemetz and Rebecca Iannucci / May 3 2019
https://tvline.com/2019/05/03/dynasty-elizabeth-gillies-nicollette-sheridan-impression-tv-questions/

10 | Shouldn’t Arrow‘s Dinah have been more concerned about the missing security footage after finding out Felicity didn’t scrub it? Also, has anyone figured out how the Ninth Circle’s hooded, stocking-faced henchmen are able to see anything?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

📌 ...

'ARROW’ IS WASTING FELICITY SMOAK’S FINAL EPISODES 
ALYSSA BARBIERI MAY 3, 2019
http://fangirlish.com/arrow-is-wasting-felicity-smoaks-final-episodes/

Long are the days when Arrow thrived as a grounded superhero show with a strong character focus. Where rich, compelling storylines inspired a new wave of superhero dramas that flourished in the past several years.

While Arrow has become a shell of itself since season 5, I continued to tune in as a loyal, yet critical fan because I’d become so invested in the characters that continued to live in this world. I always said that once Oliver, Felicity or Diggle left the show that I’d stop watching. And unfortunately, that will come to pass following this season.

Trying to picture Arrow without Felicity Smoak is like trying to picture the sky without the sun. It’s like trying to picture the night sky without any stars. It’s like trying to picture myself not being a Chicago Bears fan.

It’s impossible.
While Arrow will return for its eighth and final season — a shortened order of 10 episodes — in the fall, its leading lady Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards) will not return. And it’s been traumatic for the fanbase that has embraced Felicity since her guest-star appearance in the show’s third episode.

Felicity had everyone swooning — from Stephen Amell/Oliver Queen to the fans to the CEO of The CW. It didn’t take long for her to become a series regular that graced us with her wonderful mix of humor and intellect.
Everyone and their mother know that Felicity Smoak is the heart and soul of Arrow. She’s the one that single handedly changed this show from her mere presence. So you’d think that since Rickards is on her way out that Arrow would use its remaining episodes to give us as much Felicity as possible.

Only, as you might’ve guessed, it hasn’t. Instead, it’s wasted its episodes with stupid half-sister plots and Dinah-heavy episodes, and sometimes it’s almost like she’s already gone.

What I want more of is the personal aspect of Felicity’s life. Give me those scenes with her and Oliver at home being their cutesy, domesticated selves. Give me more Smoak Tech. Give me Felicity and Diggle legitimately interacting in a personal way. Just give me more Felicity Smoak.
Instead of savoring the final episodes with Felicity in them, I find myself in a familiar place with Arrow where I’m just praying for this season to wrap so this show could recharge for the next season. Only there is no next season with Felicity in it. Which means that these final episodes that we’ve gotten since Emily’s announcement are precious. And they’re being squandered for boring plots and even more boring characters.
Felicity Smoak is the reason I still watch Arrow. She’s my favorite character, and the one has influenced my life in so many wonderful ways. But when Felicity goes off into hiding, like I suspect she will, for season 8, that’s when I tune out. Sure, I might watch the episode while working on something else or doing schoolwork. Sure, I’ll do a quick write-up. But I’ll have checked out. Until the series finale of course, which hopefully Emily can return to give us all the happy ending we deserve.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

Arrow Episode Guide: Season 7, Episode 20 - Confessions
Starman  May 5, 2019
http://www.mygeekygeekyways.com/2019/05/arrow-episode-guide-season-7-episode-20.html 

Emiko just goes crazy in this episode, wanting revenge on the Queen family in general (and by extension, Oliver) and plotting to destroy Star City for that reason even though it is the Ninth Circle that killed her mother - the one last good thing in her life. None of this jibes with what we've seen of the character, who honestly did seem to want to protect The Glades in earlier episodes.

How the heck did Emiko steal the security footage in the first place when she was fleeing the building before guards were killed?

• Love 1
(edited)

Arrow: Confessions
by Shari  May 5, 2019
https://www.douxreviews.com/2019/05/arrow-confessions.html 

My initial response to this episode was quite positive.  They used the interrogation format to address and or give context to some long-standing conflicts between Team Arrow members.  Having Roy in the present is always a plus. I loved Felicity’s hormonal surges and burgeoning appetite. Plus, I’m always pleased when I don’t see the ending coming.  I know Oliver will survive this, but that last image brought back visions of Tommy.

However, repeated viewings revealed many narrative cheats and plot holes. The context I was so pleased by was lessened by the fact that it was all for show.  Felicity’s algorithm points to the Ninth Circle releasing a bio-weapon for maximum damage in an empty subway station? If the SCPD found Emiko’s arrows at the scene of the crime, why would they have considered Team Arrow the prime suspects in the first place? Or, if Rene’s fingerprints were on the murder weapon, why would Oliver’s “confession” that it was his sister who committed the murder be enough to exonerate them?  And given their other questionable if not outright illegal actions, how are they still working for the SCPD?
Just in case you were wondering The Hudolin McGuire Subway Station is not from comics. It was named after Arrow Production Designer Richard Hudolin and Art Director Bridget McGuire. 

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

You may wish to read her entire interview in this Part 1...

Spotlight Interview: Beth Schwartz, Showrunner – Part 1, Getting Started
BY SARAH J EAGEN    MAY 6, 2019
http://msinthebiz.com/2019/05/06/spotlight-interview-beth-schwartz-showrunner-part-1-getting-started/ 

Down a long hallway lined with posters of some of today’s hottest TV shows, I had an amazing time chatting with Arrow showrunner Beth Schwartz about her experiences getting started and thriving in this sometimes tumultuous industry. Over this 3 part interview, she shares how she came to run one of DC’s most successful shows, some of the ins and outs of creating a TV show, and what her recently-announced overall deal with Warner Brothers means for her personally and professionally. Settle in – you’re going to want to make sure you don’t miss a word!
Wow, that’s great! Yeah, so much of getting hired is knowing the right people, and being top-of-mind at the right time. That’s awesome. How did your career progress from there?
It was just sort of an assistant’s journey from one show to another show. When I worked for Greg on a season of Everwood, it was when he had both Jack and Bobby and Everwood. I was going to be on Jack and Bobby as a writer’s assistant, but it got cancelled, so I jumped to show a show called Invasion. That was actually Katie Cassidy (who plays Laurel Lance on Arrow)’s uncle Shaun Cassidy’s show, so I worked with him first before Katie. But then that show got cancelled.
And then the writer’s strike happened and I ended up working on Hart of Dixie. So that was now the third show I was a writer’s assistant on, and I wrote a freelance episode for Leila Gerstein. And at the end of that, Greg had called to see if I wanted to work as a writer’s assistant on Political Animals, a short order starring Sigourney Weaver, in between seasons. So I went to work on that show, and as I was working on that show, they were developing Arrow and Greg said, “I want you to be on Arrow.”

So I went on Arrow season 1 – as a writer’s assistant.  
Wait – you started on Arrow as a writer’s assistant?
I was really hoping to get staffed and it did not work out. That first season I ended up writing 5 episodes as a writer’s assistant and then they finally said, “Yes, it’s probably time to staff you.”

I got staffed season 2 of Arrow, and then season 3 I got a double bump to executive story editor. On season 4 I was co-producer and Greg also put me on Legends of Tomorrow season 1 as a consulting (producer). So I wrote a couple of episodes there, helped them on that show a little bit. And then I came back for season 5 and I was promoted to be a co-EP because I had been running the room since season 4. Season 6 I was a co-EP, and this last season (7), I got promoted to showrunner.

There were a lot of jumps, but because I had so much experience already writing and producing and being in so many different kinds of writers rooms, I soaked up everything. I didn’t even realize it at the time, but I learned from Greg how to break story, and that helped me a lot and always stuck with me. It was definitely to my benefit, although it didn’t seem like it at the time –  all those years of being a writer’s assistant that I was really not happy about ended up paying off in the end because it was like kind of a grad school for me.
How was it on season 4 (of Arrow) when you were working on two shows?
It was a lot. But I love Phil Klemmer, he’s the showrunner over on Legends of Tomorrow, and it’s such a great group of people. It was fun being in a different room, because I had been on Arrow for so long. Although I think we realized after that season that it made more sense for me to be permanently on Arrow and take more responsibility, so that’s what ended up happening. But that group is a really fun group. They’re very – I don’t want to say similar to the show, cuz that doesn’t really make sense, but they all have such a great sense of humor. Where our room and the stories we talk about are a lot darker, they’re a lot goofier, which is fun.
And don’t miss the penultimate episode of Arrow season 7, tonight at 9/8c on the CW! And be sure to check back next week for part 2 of my interview with Beth, where we get into more of the nitty-gritty of writing and casting a hit TV show!

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Is Arrow Killing Felicity Off In The Season 7 Finale?
Laura Hurley  May 6, 2019
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2471376/is-arrow-killing-felicity-off-in-the-season-7-finale 

Felicity found out that William's life is in danger in the flash-forwards; I would not be shocked if Arrow used William's situation as a way to let Felicity sacrifice herself to go out like a hero. Her death would be a heroic goodbye for Emily Bett Rickards and motivate Mia and William, in case that future-set spinoff actually does happen.

That said, Felicity Smoak is the leading lady of the show that started it all in the Arrow-verse, and killing her off -- even via flash-forward -- would be a big move that could alienate a lot of fans. Surely Arrow can come up with a way for her to have a happily-ever-after without needing her on screen, right? And the flash-forwards are continuing, after all.

Considering how awful everything seemed to turn out in the flash-forwards, it would be nice if future Oliver and future Felicity finally got to enjoy a life together, even if they didn't get the chance to raise their daughter together. Less nice if future Oliver turns up with one arm and that awful Legends of Tomorrow future goatee, but nicer than dying!

It would be a shame for Emily Bett Rickards' seven-season stint as Felicity Smoak ending with death, even if Felicity is still alive in one timeline. ...

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Arrow recap: Tommy Merlyn returns to knock some sense into Oliver
By Chancellor Agard May 06, 2019
https://ew.com/recap/arrow-season-7-episode-21/ 

Oliver Queen has always struggled with his worst impulses. That was the case when he was an out-of-control rich playboy before getting stranded on a deserted island, and that’s definitely been the case since he returned as something else. Each season has, in some ways, focused on Oliver’s attempts to shed himself of some bad habit he developed during the years he was away. Tonight’s episode “Living Proof” — which is named after the Bruce Springsteen song like every other penultimate episode of the season on Arrow — touches on this theme once again with some help from a friendly ghost and also explores how parents screw up their children.
I’ll give the show some points for having Tommy point out that Oliver has been in this situation many times before: When he’s scared, he falls back on horrible habits and decides to put an arrow in a problem. In other words, he’s doing exactly what Robert and Moira did; all of the decisions that ruined their children’s lives — abandoning Emiko, getting involved with the Undertaking — were made out of fear. Oliver is literally worried about Emiko coming after his family, which is the result of his father casting Emiko aside because he was scared. Tommy points out that Oliver has a chance to break this cycle now and ensure that his children don’t suffer because of the choices he made.

Of course, it takes more than words to convince Oliver. So, Tommy forces him to imagine a scenario in which Oliver goes through with his plan to kill Emiko. The result? The rest of the team dies, too, because violence just creates more violence. After viewing this dark future, Oliver heeds Tommy’s warning, decides not to kill Emiko, and instead leans on his best parts, like his compassion, to show Emiko that people can change. And he tries to do just that when he eventually escapes from his prison, reunites with Team Arrow, and confronts Emiko, who is trying to tarnish the Green Arrow’s reputation by stealing the Ninth Circle’s bomb back at the SCPD station later that night. Unfortunately, she flees before Oliver can get through to her.

While I’m not sure if I connected emotionally to the lesson Oliver learned in tonight’s episode, I was definitely moved by Colin Donnell’s presence. Donnell’s return as Tommy was appropriately poignant but never felt maudlin because Donnell didn’t take the part too seriously (nor did the script), and his chemistry with Stephen Amell remains strong as ever.

Of course, Oliver isn’t the only one reckoning with how his choices affect his children’s lives; Felicity went through something similar, too. Following an encounter with Emiko in tonight’s episode, Felicity tells Alena she promised herself she wouldn’t make her children’s lives as miserable as her parents made her own, and yet somehow she’s managed to do something worst. That’s been driving her desire to create ARCHER. Alena suggests she protect her kids by taking her life offline (read: going into hiding). Given Felicity’s relationship with her parents, it makes sense why she would consider (and ultimately move forward with) this suggestion. That being said, you still get the feeling that the show is going down this route because of circumstances out of its control (read: Emily Bett Rickards’ departure at the end of the season). (It’s likely that I’m simply projecting).

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

ARROW SEASON 7, EPISODE 21: "LIVING PROOF" REVIEW
BY JESSE SCHEEDEN   6 MAY 2019
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/05/07/arrow-season-7-episode-21-living-proof-review

Each new episode of Arrow makes it a little more apparent the end is drawing near. Not just the end of Season 7, but the looming series finale at the end of the year. That sense of finality fueled the penultimate chapter of Season 7. This episode delivered plenty of dramatic weight even as it showed the weaknesses in the series’ current villain of choice.
Tommy’s presence here was invaluable. Ollie needed someone to serve as a foil while he worked to free himself. Tommy helped give voice to all of Ollie’s fears and doubts as he faces his final confrontation with his sister and the knowledge that everything he’s worked so hard to build since being released from prison. Best of all, Tommy spoke very directly to one of the more fundamental problems the series has faced. Arrow has become too stagnant. Ollie and his team are trapped in a perpetual cycle of battling mastermind villains and narrowly saving the city from annihilation. Anytime the series has the chance to truly reinvent itself (the aftermath of Prometheus’ plot, Ollie becoming a deputized police officer) it tends to back down. The hope is that by acknowledging this problem so directly, the writers are making an honest go ant addressing it in what little time they have left.
Felicity also fared well in what could wind up being her second-to-last appearance on the series (though I’m hoping Emily Bett Rickards will at least drop by for the next crossover). “Living Proof” went a long way toward justifying Felicity’s imminent departure. As much as Felicity has voiced a desire to forge her own destiny and do something to help the world, this episode made the stakes much more plain. She has to disappear for the sake of her daughter. Her dramatic run-in with Emiko made that plain enough. It helped having the flash-forwards as a counterpoint to the present-day storyline, showing us an older, embittered Felicity grappling with the choices she made in 2019. I’m still not overly invested in the Galaxy One storyline, but moments like that make the flash-forwards worth the effort.

The main problem facing the series as it moves into the finale is that Emiko still isn’t all she should be. Sea Shimooka lacks the sheer charisma of most of the show’s previous main villains, and this season never focused enough energy on fleshing out her relationship with Ollie before moving into this endgame stage. Sadly, there’s no real reason to assume the finale will be able to rectify this problem. Season 7 is far from the show’s worst overall, but barring any major changes, Emiko may well be a candidate for most disappointing villain.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Arrow Season 7 Episode 21 Review – ‘Living Proof’
MAY 7, 2019 BY JESSIE ROBERTSON 
https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2019/05/arrow-season-7-episode-21-review-living-proof/

It’s a very good conversation and I think it really says something that at this point, season 7, when Tommy reasons with Oliver about what choice to make, he remarks that Oliver is a good person deep down; there is no reference to the demon that lives within him as there was just 2 seasons ago when he struggled with these same issues. I was upset at the swerve here though: I legitimately thought he had escaped and the whole fight with Emiko was happening. Another cheap Arrow death: the team this time killed but it was all a frightening dream scenario Oliver had cooked up to show the consequences of what just killing Emiko would bring. Stephen Amell’s read of “I miss you every day, Tommy,” was quite good though.
As for the rest of the crew, they didn’t get as much screen time but it was well used. I like how Rene legit said “everything we worked for this year is gone,” in reference to SCPD knowing about Roy’s murders and the team’s lying to cover it up. I felt like Juliana Harkavay (Black Canary) was subtly very good here but I think we could have pulled more. She’s definitely a second tier character on the show but the law and being a policewoman is her identity and I like how she was more than prepared to sacrifice Roy (for his own actions) to prevent herself from losing that. Only when she saw him in action and how far he was willing to go to be a hero did she go back on that decision in a nice scene.

Felicity and Elena find themselves in the crosshairs of SCPD but only for a moment: Felicity, in her own right, is a hero, there’s no doubt at this point and she proves it once again by escaping their grasps with a modified Canary cry rigged into her own apartment. Both women have chemistry in that fast talking comedic way and we get a lot of it but Felicity pulls in the serious at a second’s notice very well here. I don’t think she has much chemistry with Emiko and we’ll see where that scene leads as it felt fairly pointless.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

TOMMY MERLYN RETURNS FOR AN OLIVER QUEEN THERAPY SESSION IN THE LATEST ARROW
Trent Moore   May 6, 2019
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/arrow-recap-tommy-merlyn-returns-guardian-angel 

“You are living proof that people can change. And you’ve got to find a way to see that in her, too.” -Tommy Merlyn
Most of Oliver’s story follows him trying to blow a way out of the building — though it turns out he’s actually still pinned under debris, hallucinating these failed escape attempts — but it serves up a simple but effective metaphor of how Oliver is trying to face the problem at its core. He’s seeing red after learning Emiko killed their father, and wants to blow through the problem and simply kill Emiko to stop her reign of terror.

But Tommy tries to remind him there’s another way. Oliver has spent most of his life in a cycle of violence, and Tommy urges him to break free. Oliver is more than his anger and fury, as Tommy tells him to lean into the good parts of what he’s become as a hero. His loyalty, selflessness, courage, and compassion. Emiko knows no other way to process her pain, and Tommy at least believes Oliver can show her a better way. The jury’s still out on whether that will actually work, but for what it’s worth, he doesn’t pull the trigger on Emiko when given the opportunity.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Arrow: “Living Proof” Review
Taylor Cole   May 7, 2019
https://thenerdstash.com/arrow-living-proof-review/ 

While it may not have been as explosive as “The Slabside Redemption” or even “Emerald Archer”, “Living Proof” will most likely go down as my favorite episode of Arrow season 7.

The reason behind this is due to Oliver’s entire arc this season being (finally) pushed to the forefront. All season, it’s been said that Oliver is in this cycle of hate and murder brought onto him by his family. Oliver himself has said this and throughout the season. He’s been making strides in an attempt to break that cycle by working out in the open without a mask and even working alongside the SCPD.
I’m sure some people believe Oliver should have killed Emiko on that rooftop just as he did in that hallucination (we’ll get to that in a bit). In most cases, I would agree but it just doesn’t fit his character this season. Emiko is a villain. There’s no doubt about that and I don’t think redemption is on the table for her. At least not anymore. The redemption is for Oliver. In a small way, Emiko is just another name on his father’s list of wrongs. If he kills her, Oliver is just continuing that cycle, just as Tommy said. There’s a lot of problems with Arrow when it comes to character development and plot holes but rest assured, they’ve knocked Oliver’s personal arc out of the park this season.
Since I brought it up, there was one pretty sizable plot hole in “Living Proof”. If everything we saw when Oliver “escaped” was a hallucination, why did Emiko say that she knew about Felicity being pregnant? There is no way Oliver could have known this information going into the fight. Don’t get me wrong, that interaction between Oliver and Emiko was pretty sweet but that line stands out as one of the few faults this episode had. Come to think of it, the flashforwards would probably be my only other issue this week but that’s only because of William’s stupidity.

It seems that “Living Proof” set up Felicity’s exit from the series. She’s going off the grid to protect her kid from the Ninth Circle. That’s sort of what I expected but what I didn’t expect is Emily Bett Rickards putting in another great performance. I’ve been pretty critical of her in my reviews when it comes to the emotional side of things but she’s been killing it this season. I know this is going to be a controversial statement but I’m bummed she won’t be in the final season. I’m guessing she’ll end up making a heroic sacrifice to save William in the season finale next week to wrap up her flashforwards storyline.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

A lot of talk about his Nocking Point wines, but I only quoted his Arrow comments below...

STEPHEN AMELL On ARROW's End & Making Wine With Comic Creators
By Chris Arrant, Editor  May 6, 2019
https://www.newsarama.com/45059-stephen-amell-on-arrow-s-end-making-wine-with-comic-creators.html 

Amell spoke with Newsarama about his latest wine, as well as bringing wine to comic book conventions, and of course the upcoming finale of Arrow - and what he'd tell the 2012 version of himself if he could.
Nrama: We're talking just after it was announced that the next season of Arrow will be its last. How do you feel about everything that's going on right now and coming up in the near future?

Amell: It's very emotional for me. Playing Oliver has been the greatest experience of my professional life and I've met some of my best friends and had the pleasure of working with so many wonderful and talented people. I always wanted this show to have a strong finish and I think it was the right time.

I'm also really excited for what's next, for being with my family more and for working on all the growth we've seen with Nocking Point.

Nrama: With Arrow and now the 'Arrow-verse', you've led a modern day rejuvenation of DC superheroes on television. Professionally it's been rewarding, and personally you've gotten to work alongside your cousin and your wife. What would you right now in 2019 tell yourself in 2012 when you first got the call to audition to play Oliver Queen?

Amell: I would tell myself not to worry about the small things but enjoy every moment to its fullest. It goes by so fast and before you know it you've wrapped another season.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Listen To All of Arrow's Bruce Springsteen Title Songs Here
By RUSS BURLINGAME - May 6, 2019
https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/05/06/listen-to-all-of-arrows-bruce-springsteen-title-songs-here/

Tonight's episode of Arrow is titled "Living Proof," and it's the eighth episode to share a title with a Bruce Springsteen song (and the seventh consecutive season that the season's penultimate episode does it). In a series that has had a ton of actor turnover and a number of tonal and storytelling shifts over the years, the "Springsteen episodes" have remained a constant. And now that there are eight of them -- i.e., the number of tracks on Springsteen's career-defining masterpiece Born to Run -- we've collected them together in a Spotify playlist for fans to check out. You can find that below.
The first of the Arrow episodes to be named after a Bruce Springsteen song was arguably the most obvious (at least for a while): "Darkness on the Edge of Town." Another song off of Darkness on the Edge of Town, "Streets of Fire" was the episode where Arrow executive producer Marc Guggenheim confirmed, yes, these are Bruce Springsteen titles. Earlier in the season, an episode titled "The Promise" could have been named after a Springsteen song, as well, although that has never been confirmed. Season three featured "This Is Your Sword," a song from Springsteen's then-new album High Hopes, performed with Tom Morello (who wrote the Dark Horse series Orchid and scored Iron Man) on guitar. Season four had "Lost in the Flood," named for a song from Springsteen's debut album, Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J. Season five featured "Missing," a song prominently featured in Sean Penn's film The Crossing Guard, which starred Jack Nicholson. Penn's previous film, The Indian Runner, was an adaptation of the Springsteen song "Highway Patrolman." And last year's season six had "The Ties That Bind," from Springsteen's 1980 album The River. A regular presence at Springsteen's live shows, the song deals with themes of family and honor that permeated all of Arrow's sixth season.

Billy Joel Song Titles Used:
“Darkness on the Edge of Town”
“The Promise”
“Streets of Fire”
“This Is Your Sword”
“Lost In the Flood”
“Missing”
“The Ties That Bind”
“Living Proof”

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Arrow, ‘Living Proof’: Emiko Rages as Team Arrow is Trapped Like a Rat in a Cage
BY CRAIG WACK · MAY 7, 2019
http://oohlo.com/2019/05/07/arrow-living-proof-emiko-rages-as-team-arrow-is-trapped-like-a-rat-in-a-cage/ 

I’ll tell you off the top, I was taken out of this episode really early because I found it very Blues Brothers that Rene and Oliver could be trapped under thousands of pounds of concrete and steel, and the writers simply brush it off with no broken bones or internal damage. The same goes for Roy huffing a cloud of gasoline additive. The things we do in the name of action-adventure … Here’s everything you need to know about the latest episode of Arrow:
What’s the scoop:  We spend most of the episode in Oliver’s concussed subconscious, where the ghost of Tommy Merlyn resides. Up until she dropped a building on top of him, Oliver has been very pro-Emiko redemption. So, Tommy advocating the same thing is really Oliver’s mind telling him what he wants to hear, despite Emiko clear demonstrating that she’s irredeemable.
Sex and the Olicity: Two episodes left on the show for Emily Bett Rickards and again, she and Oliver share little to no screen time. ...
Last impressions: The Emiko stuff would be way more interesting if we learned more about her. At this point, it just seems that Oliver is going way out of his way to bring a person her barely knows back from the brink of insanity. As much as I hate to think it, Oliver trying to reform Black Siren would carry more emotional resonance than his mission to save Emiko. Having knowledge of the series’ behind-the-scenes happenings isn’t helping either. The lack of Oliver-Felicity screentime would seem pretty normal as the season ramps up the action in advance of its finale, but since it was announced months ago that Emily Bett Rickards is leaving the show at the end of the season, this lack of focus on Olicity is jarring. There are going to be some tearful moments in the finale for sure, but everything going on present and future seems hollow when the show’s emotional foundation is being neglected right before everything we know and possibly like about the show is about to change.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
(edited)

TV Review: ‘Arrow: Living Proof’
POSTED MAY 7TH, 2019 BY DARRYL JASPER
https://sciencefiction.com/2019/05/07/tv-review-arrow-living-proof/ 

What had begun with promise has devolved into a narrative cacophony of disappointment that, at this late in the game, cannot be saved. Yet, despite the merciful end for season seven just around the corner, there are still moments where the character moments in Arrow shine through, saving individual episodes from being the forgettable mess that’s plagued the back half of show’s penultimate season.
This inclusion of the Tommy-ghost is a bit hammy but is also the one saving grace for this episode. There are several moments of genuine emotion that do a fantastic job encapsulating the hero/villain/vigilante line Oliver has straddled and crossed over the entirety of the series. Now that he knows the truth about Emiko—not just her leadership with the Ninth Circle, but her choice to remain silent about the Queen’s Gambit’s destruction—has placed her firmly in Oliver’s crosshairs. He believes that there is no other way to stop her than to put an arrow in her heart. Being the angel on his shoulder (read: the other side of his conscious mind) Tommy points out that, if Oliver can’t find the strength to allow Emiko to change, he will continue on this cycle of violence that has haunted him and the Queen family for all these years.

... While killing your enemies should not be the first or second (maybe not even third) option, it’s one that can’t always be avoided. More importantly, if you don’t take the shot when it’s there, how many lives are you putting at risk for the simple fact of keeping your hands clean?
-The more Emiko’s plan unfolds, the less interesting she becomes. So, she wants to destroy the city because her father didn’t love her enough? This is the type of villainous motivations that make for generic baddies when so much more could be accomplished nuancing their drive. Emiko’s initial turn was a promising one but has gone off the rails since.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

‘Arrow’ review: 7×21 “Living Proof”
Lynsey Neill   May 7, 2019
https://www.purefandom.com/2019/05/07/arrow-review-7x21-living-proof/ 

Firstly, I’m choosing to believe Tommy showing up in this episode was more so meant as a visit from an angel than a hallucination. Because A) Tommy had these knowing looks behind his eyes, and B) he snapped his fingers to get Oliver to wake up.
Tommy’s presence throughout the episode was a welcome light in the dark. Besides Felicity, there are no other characters that bring that same jovial levity to the show. However, as much as I love Tommy Merlyn with my whole heart and soul, and will forever maintain that he shouldn’t have been killed off, I think we did spend too much time on it.

Considering next week is the season finale, there’s going to be some loose threads. Did we necessarily need Oliver to spend the whole episode deciding whether or not to kill his half-sister? No. While I did enjoy my Tommy time, it was a lot. I liked the conclusion that everyone has to take responsibility for their actions, and family is not just a DNA test. But at this stage in the game… it went on for way too long.
-Protective Mama Felicity was A+
-I kind of wanted to see Tommy voice some opinions about Oliver’s wife being Felicity and not Laurel, because one of the great travesties of Tommy dying is he didn’t get to see Oliver in a relationship with Felicity.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

ARROW 7.21 Review “Living Proof”
By AMELIA EMBERWING May. 07, 2019 
https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/05/07/arrow-7.21-review-living-proof 

There’s something Peak Oliver Queen about him looking Tommy Merlyn in the eye (hallucination or no) and telling him that there’s no other way than to kill Emiko. Dude’s literally the reason you stopped killing in the first place but sure, pop off I guess. The majority of “Living Proof” focuses on the team getting out of the crumbling building, up to and including Roy almost killing himself with noxious gas to ensure the rest of the team can get to safety.

Once they do find an exit, Oliver is faced with a choice: Kill Emiko, or get his team out before the building explodes. Last season this paragraph would end with me ranting for four sentences about how Arrow is incapable of making progress. Last season it wouldn’t have been some fake-out dream sequence, and he really would have just killed his sister and cleaned up the mess later. But it’s not last season, it’s not the same team, and this is finally not the same Oliver Queen. After snapping out of the dream, the hallucination is able to convince him that breaking the cycle of violence is the only choice.
The future is a different question entirely. Galaxy One reveals their ZETA super soldier program while the Queen family suffers from some domestic drama. The issues between William and Felicity are both earned and valid, and also happen to land William trapped in the office of the man who’s pulling all of the strings. Rene stumbling upon the meeting will work out to their advantage, but for now they’re stuck in a pretty tight spot!

Next week is the finale, and presumably the last time we’ll see Emily Bett Rickards’ Felicity outside of flashbacks and an off cameo. I’m currently in deep denial that’s all happening. ...

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Arrow season 7, episode 21 review: Living Proof
by Scott Brown  May 7, 2019
https://bamsmackpow.com/2019/05/07/arrow-season-7-episode-21-review/ 

Tommy is an amazing character who was killed off way too soon into the lifespan of the show, and it’s always great to see him back, especially when counselling Oliver. This ghost of Tommy seems to come out whenever Oliver needs his conscience and innermost thoughts to break through his immediate emotions. Right now, he’s extremely angry and murderous, which is something that he’s continually tried to change about himself. He thinks he’s doing the right thing by wanting to kill Emiko as penance for her sins, but Tommy just points out how wrong that is and Oliver knows it.

Colin Donnell and Stephen Amell both provide excellent performances in these portions of the episode, bringing out some of the best emotion of the season. Every Tommy and Oliver are on screen together, it really makes you think about how different the series could’ve been if Tommy wasn’t killed off.
William’s frustration with Felicity makes complete sense and it works to have Mia talk him into finally confronting her and forcing her to explain to him why she’s acting the way she is. For not acting like they want to care about each other, Mia and William really do feel like proper siblings.

The only real issue with the flash-forwards at this point is that they don’t feel like a story being told in just this season. This season’s use of them feels like set-up to a finale that will present in the final season of Arrow. The reason this is a problem, though, is that it makes the pacing of the storyline feel very slow, and not methodically slow either.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Arrow Review: Living Proof (Season 7 Episode 21)
May 7, 2019  Brianna Martinez
https://www.telltaletv.com/2019/05/arrow-review-living-proof-season-7-episode-21/ 

While there’s plenty of action to consider, it’s the character moments that immediately stand at the forefront, temporarily distracting from the many questions about the overarching plot that have come up as the penultimate episode of the season plays out.
Colin Donnell’s return to Arrow is wonderful and welcome as Tommy offers Oliver the insight he needs to figure out what his next moves should be. There’s something about the pair’s dynamic that has always been enjoyable in the myriad ways we’ve gotten over the years, and this specific turn is no exception.
The frank conversations between Oliver and “Tommy” are solid moments that really highlight the toll the trauma has taken on Oliver over the years and just how much of a lasting impact they have had on him.
However, it’s William, Felicity, and Mia’s moments that add the emotional weight to the future we’re seeing and there’s no shortage of heartbreak and angst for the trio as we circle back to William’s abandonment issues.

It’s gutting to hear what William felt when Oliver and Felicity let him choose to live with his grandparents and the 20 years of silence he got from them. At one point, the justification of wanting him to have a “normal life” and “protecting” him begin to feel like it’s not enough.
Mia and William’s moment where we get his perspective on those intervening years provides a painful sibling bonding experience that unfortunately, the pair are familiar with. Though, while William missed out on 20 years with both of his parents, Mia missed out time with one.
It shows how much of a no-win situation Oliver and Felicity are put in and how much they’ve sacrificed for the sake of others and how desperately sad the state of the Queen-Smoak family is in 2040.

In a sense, “Living Proof,” reinforces my earlier concerns about what we see in the future and how bleak things are. Sure, Felicity has been reunited with her children. But there’s still the matter of the intervening 20 years that the Queen-Smoak family spent apart (and still no definitive answer as to what happened to Oliver).
-It’s disappointing to see Dinah continuously opt for the more selfish route when it comes to most missions then feigning compassion for those that do end up making the sacrifice on her behalf. It happened with Oliver and Felicity, and it’s happening with Roy. It’s frustrating and does Dinah no favors.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Arrow’ Season 7, Episode 21 “Living Proof” Is D.O.A., Feels a Little ‘Lost’ ...
Posted by Joey Mills May 7, 2019
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05/07/arrow-season-7-episode-21-living-proof-is-d-o-a-feels-a-little-lost-spoiler-review/ 

“But, character moments?”, you ask? Let’s touch on those…

● Dinah got mad at Roy for killing the subway guards, but changed her mind when Roy risked his life to save the team – pretty much bringing her back around to where she was when the episode began.
● Oliver went from being prepared to kill Emiko to deciding not to kill Emiko – pretty much bringing him right back to where he was about two episodes ago.
Earlier this season, Arrow was given its end date. Unfortunately, the past few episodes are “Jack’s tattoo”-type of episodes: just biding time until we can get to this season’s finale next week, then shift attentions into series finale mode. Last week, we got the unreliable narrator telling us a bunch of lies throughout the bulk of the episode, finally giving us a couple of minutes of the truth to move the pieces into place for this week’s episode. Tonight, we got a good third of the episode (if not more) in the form of a hallucination that (as stated above) served to do nothing but bring us back to where we’ve recently been with Oliver.

In fact, if these past two episodes didn’t exist then I don’t know that there would be much lost when next week’s season finale airs.
That’s where it seems we’re headed towards, folks: multiple episodes of attempting to hoodwink the viewer so that the writers can say “gotcha!” in the finale. Here’s hoping I’m wrong – we’ll know next week when the Arrow season 7 finale airs Monday, May 13, at 9 p.m. ET/ 8 p.m. CT on the CW.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1