Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

Suspenseful, Frustrating Sixth Season of Arrow Debuts on Blu-ray
Submitted by RJ Carter on Tue, 08/07/2018
http://www.criticalblast.com/articles/2018/08/07/suspenseful-frustrating-sixth-season-arrow-debuts-blu-ray

The biggest problem with CW's series, ARROW, is that it has to keep ratcheting up the action to top its previous season. The natural end result was that the writers have painted themselves into quite a corner with the way the sixth season has wrapped up. The good part of that, however, is that we get the fun of watching them try to write their way out of it.
But the real "big bad" of the sixth season comes in the way of Ricardo Diaz, an analog for DC Comics hero Richard Dragon. Diaz is a low-level criminal who has stayed off the radar. Nobody has really ever heard of him. But his superpower is his utter ruthlessness, and the patience to get what he wants. If Prometheus (aka Adrian Chase, played by JOSH SEGARRA) was always a step ahead of Green Arrow last season, Diaz is six steps ahead.
The season was frustrating, because every time the viewes would think that Green Arrow was getting the upper hand on Diaz, he'd be dealt one more blow, with the government case getting stronger and stronger against him. It's a good kind of frustration, though, as it gives the story more tension. What's to come next in Season 7? Well, that would have to be the biggest walk-back of them all, because Oliver ends up confessing to being the Green Arrow in exchange for immunity for all his other team members. He's going to prison -- a Supermax facility -- for life.
This Blu-ray release includes all four parts of the crossover episode, CRISIS ON EARTH-X; however, it is worth noting that the digital version only includes the ARROW episode. The discs also include special features delving into the characters of Deathstroke and Cayden James, as well as the 2017 CW SDCC panel.

Edited by tv echo
7 minutes ago, Delphi said:

Why did commentaries stop being a thing?  I wouldn't ever but a DVD set without commentaries,  I already have Netflix. 

Thank you! Commentaries are the best part of the special features. Deleted scenes and bloopers are nice, but short.

Wait, are there no bloopers or deleted scenes on the dvds? they're not listed.

Edited by JJ928
  • Love 1
49 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Those special features seem boring for the most part but idk if they've ever been exciting to begin with.

They've been in my season pass for months and I still haven't watched them. 

3 hours ago, tv echo said:

however, it is worth noting that the digital version only includes the ARROW episode.

Why would they do this?  I'm not going to buy the Blu-ray version since I don't have a player.  This only serves to anger me.

I figured the other crossover eps weren't going to be included. The first two crossovers were included with the season pass (don't know about season 5, because I didn't buy that one), and they showed up in my iTunes account a couple of weeks after they aired. This year's crossovers never came. Bummer, but...still not gonna buy 'em.

Edited by apinknightmare

I can think of only 2 or 3 episodes from S6 that I might buy on iTunes but I'll never buy a full season ever again. And aside from the occasional commentary, special features never interest me anyway. 

Looks like Chris King of TV Overmind is also writing for Fandom now...

5 Storylines Felicity Smoak Deserves in ‘Arrow’ Season 7
Chris King   August 9, 2018
http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/5-storylines-felicity-smoak-arrow-season-7

Although Felicity has been one of Arrow’s main characters for years, she unfortunately hasn’t always received the storylines she deserves. This disappointing trend continued in Arrow Season 6, as Felicity was relegated to a supporting player who, despite developing her own relationship with William, mostly served Oliver’s stories throughout the season.

It’s clear that Felicity deserves better storylines than what she has been getting recently, and with Beth Schwartz leading the more female-populated Arrow writers’ room, we’re hopeful that Felicity will be receiving them sooner rather than later. Here are five potential storylines that Felicity Smoak could and should have in Arrow Season 7.

FELICITY BONDS WITH DONNA OVER SINGLE PARENTHOOD
FELICITY OFFICIALLY LAUNCHES HELIX DYNAMICS
In Season 7, now that there’s less conflict between the Newbies and OTA, Felicity should officially announce and open Helix Dynamics. This storyline would not only let Felicity help the people of Star City in a non-vigilante way, but it would also allow her to carve out her own public identity beyond “Mayor Queen’s wife.”
FELICITY JOINS LYLA AT ARGUS
It would make a lot of sense if Felicity and William are still in ARGUS’s protective custody to begin Season 7, given that it has only been a few months since Oliver’s arrest and his public declaration that he is the Green Arrow. However, there’s no way that someone as fearless and determined as Felicity Smoak will be satisfied with being a stay-at-home mom. She’ll need to find a bigger way to help people.

That’s why I can envision Felicity teaming up with Lyla (and potentially Diggle) at ARGUS. She would not just serve as the agency’s own version of Overwatch, but she would also do her best to keep its ethics in check, given its history of questionable activities.

This storyline would also supply viewers with more Felicity/Lyla scenes, and the few moments we have gotten in the past between them, especially at the end of Season 6, have been wildly entertaining. And as I hinted at in the Donna section of this article, Felicity (and, more importantly, Arrow) needs more female friendships.

FELICITY GETS JUSTICE BY TRACKING DOWN DIAZ HERSELF
The only person who might hate Ricardo Diaz more than Oliver Queen is Felicity Smoak. So wouldn’t it be the sweetest form of justice if Felicity goes on a solo mission (like Oliver did for much of last season) to track down Diaz and make him pay for his crimes?

Felicity could use all of her tech skills to find images, videos, paper trails, and any other signs that indicate where Diaz might be. Perhaps she even gets assistance from her father, Noah, since he has a wealth of knowledge about dark-web criminal activities, and we can further establish where their father/daughter relationship is at this time

Also, Felicity’s search for Diaz could lead her towards uncovering the Longbow Hunters, who are expected to be the central antagonists of Season 7. Whatever information she learns about them could prove to be critical when Team Arrow finally reunites after Oliver is released from prison.

FELICITY AND DIGGLE TEAM UP TO FREE OLIVER FROM PRISON
The two of them working together could be a fun way for Arrow to call back to the moments of OTA friendship that were so frequent in the show’s first two seasons. Plus, if anyone is going to get Oliver out of prison, it should be his wife and best friend.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 12

I love commentaries and anything dealing with the writers/actors delving into characters in character specific pieces but Slade has no interest to me. Do a piece on the Queen family and how its grown the characters, the feud and what you were hoping to do with it, get into the mind of Black Siren. Or a villains piece and why you chose these bad guys to go up against the good guys. Costume talk and translating it from comics never get old to me.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Angel12d said:

I can think of only 2 or 3 episodes from S6 that I might buy on iTunes but I'll never buy a full season ever again. And aside from the occasional commentary, special features never interest me anyway. 

Yep.  I’ve learned my lesson about buying a season pass after Episode 4. I blame excessive Olicity adorableness for clouding my judgment. 

4 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

I figured the other crossover eps weren't going to be included. The first two crossovers were included with the season pass (don't know about season 5, because I didn't buy that one), and they showed up in my iTunes account a couple of weeks after they aired. This year's crossovers never came. Bummer, but...still not gonna buy 'em.

Yeah, this year’s season pass only included the Arrow episode of the crossover. I ended up buying the other individual episodes because I’m a sucker and I really enjoyed the crossover.  But next year, I’ll just wait for them to show up on Netflix. 

• Love 3

I’ve bought an iTunes pass every season, but I don’t think I’ll be getting one for S7 until I see how the season is playing out.  

There are maybe a handful of S4 episodes, two from S5 and maybe three and a bit from S6 that I have ever rewatched, which isn’t a good ratio for 23 episode seasons.  

I caught some season 4 episodes in syndication - the dreaded one right after Laurel died and then the charming one where Felicity and Oliver go to learn magic.  No surprise that that second one is just as charming but I have to say that the even that terrible one with Laurel flashbacks wasn't so bad on rewatch with distance and knowledge about what's to come.  (And me knowing to mute and look away during the retcon kiss)

I'm hopeful that season six will be a lot easier to enjoy on rewatch down the road as well.      

S4 was easier to rewatch for me (I practically rewatched 401-414 sans 408 along with 416, 417, 420-423) while even though I had less episodes rewatched in s5 (502, 504, 508-512, 518-22) I rewatched a select of those multiple times (510, 512, 519, 520, 522, 523). I feel like the same is for s6 (603, 604, 607, 611, 618, 621-622), but rewatching 6a was actually fine overall like 4a was for me.

If you wish to relive the worst part (other than Diaz) of S6 of Arrow...

EXCLUSIVE: ARROW SEASON 6 SUPERCUT BREAKS DOWN TEAM ARROW'S BREAKDOWN
Jacob Olier   August 10, 2018
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/arrow-season-6-supercut

SYFY WIRE has this exclusive supercut from the Season 6 Blu-ray, which gets fans up to speed on one of the season's biggest plotlines. There's a rat in Team Arrow (so thinks Oliver), so Dinah, Curtis, and Rene are on the chopping block. But who's really on Oliver's side and who's operating to undermine Team Arrow — and get the Green Arrow sent to prison?
You can catch up on Team Arrow’s exploits when the Blu-ray hits store on Aug. 14.

New on DVD Aug. 14: ‘Avengers,’ ‘Arrow’ make strong showings this week
By Rick Bentley / Tribune News Service  Posted Aug 9, 2018 at 9:31 PM
http://www.providencejournal.com/entertainmentlife/20180809/new-on-dvd-aug-14-avengers-arrow-make-strong-showings-this-week

A film and TV series featuring comic book heroes are top releases on DVD and Blu-ray this week.
“Arrow: The Complete Sixth Season”: There is a good reason “Arrow” is the CW’s longest-running DC series — multiple reasons. Not only is each episode filled with action, the stories deal with a lot of personal issues that give the characters a three-dimensional feel. And the writing is crisp and smart.

Stephen Amell has never gotten the kudos or attention he deserves playing the characters of Oliver Queen and the Arrow. Queen’s role as the mayor has put him in a lot of political battles to go along with his efforts to be a father and friend. Amell makes both the scenes in a business suit and the arrow garb work.

The release contains all 23 episodes from the sixth season, plus the show’s 2017 Comic-Con Panel and the crossover featurette.

Edited by tv echo

DC Films’ ‘Birds Of Prey’ Casting Biracial Black Canary (Exclusive)
by MICHAEL MISTROFF on AUGUST 11, 2018
https://heroichollywood.com/birds-of-prey-black-canary-biracial/

While an actress has yet to be cast in the role of Black Canary for Warner Bros. and DC Films’ upcoming Birds of Prey movie, the studio is interested in casting a biracial actress to play the character, Heroic Hollywood has exclusively learned.
In the comics, both incarnations of the superheroine Dinah Drake and Dinah Laurel Lance have been portrayed as a white female but the studio aims to take an opportunity to add some diversity to the team with the character’s first big screen appearance. This, however, will not be the first biracial version of the character as Juliana Harkavy who portrays Dinah Drake The CW’s on Arrow is of mixed race herself.

According to an insider, the studio is looking for an actress to play a world-weary Black Canary who has the ability to sing. This may have been the role Lady Gaga was approached for but ultimately passed on and it appears Warner Bros. wants to go in a different direction as well.

DC’s Birds of Prey will feature Black Canary alongside Huntress, Cassandra Cain, and Renee Montoya as part of the heroic lineup, with Batman antagonist Black Mask as the main villain.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I couldn't disagree more with this writer's comments about Diaz...

Arrow: The Complete Sixth Season Blu-ray Review
Eric Joseph   August 11, 2018
http://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/arrow-complete-sixth-season-bluray-review/

Having to keep track of so many series these days, there are very few that I make it a point to acquire each and every season. After all, a person has only so much time, money and shelf space. But when it comes to Arrow, I can’t help adding the next chapter to my collection once it arrives on home video.
Speaking of which, that creative decision proved rather divisive amongst the fanbase. Basically, when you have supporting characters like Black Canary (Juliana Harkavy), Wild Dog (Rick Gonzalez) and Mr. Terrific (Echo Kellum) butting heads with the titular hero, viewers will naturally side with the guy they’ve tuned in to see for the past half-dozen years. The veterans and newbies may all arrive on the same page once it’s all said and done, sure, but it can’t be taken for granted that people won’t check out midseason if they don’t like what’s going on. Even I got sick of folks talking smack about Oliver, hardass as he may be.
Something else that a percentage of the audience didn’t cater to were the newest big bads that arrived in the form of Cayden James (Michael Emerson) and Ricardo Diaz (Kirk Acevedo). I think the problem that most had with these guys was that they were more “real world” than the likes of Deathstroke and Ra’s al Ghul, but I didn’t mind that at all because Arrow is one of the more grounded DC TV shows around. Hey, if you’ve got a non-superpowered vigilante prowling the streets, then it’s within reason to pit him against a supreme computer hacker and a crime lord.

Furthermore, when Diaz fully steps into the light and makes his plans known, he proves to be one of the most calculating and truly dangerous foes that Oliver and company had ever faced. On top of that, Acevedo brings his A-game, thereby making his origin episode, “The Dragon,” one of the absolute highlights in this four-disc set.

One other crucial element that I must touch on is the situation involving Black Siren (Katie Cassidy), whose character arc is just as riveting as that of the one belonging to Green Arrow himself. Not meaning to spoil much, you’ll want to pay close attention to Earth-2’s Laurel Lance as she goes from ruthless villain to possible hero – and you’ll definitely see why she starts down the path to redemption.
On that note, now would be a good time to say that the featurette devoted to “Crisis” puts the various showrunners in one room, letting them chat with moderator Hector Navarro for nearly an hour about this massive undertaking. I just thought I’d throw in that detail in case you were concerned about getting only something having to do with Arrow‘s contribution to the mashup.

As for the rest of the supplemental content, there are some brief extras focusing on the likes of Deathstroke and Cayden James, though I didn’t find them to be too probing. But, as usual, there’s footage from San Diego Comic-Con panels included, this time folding each respective one pertaining to Supergirl, The Flash, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow and Gotham into one oversized featurette. It appears as though this will be included on each series’ Blu-ray set this summer, so if you buy only one, you won’t miss out on anything in this regard.

Edited by tv echo

Not meaning to spoil much, you’ll want to pay close attention to Earth-2’s Laurel Lance as she goes from ruthless villain to possible hero – and you’ll definitely see why she starts down the path to redemption.

Possible hero? Nope. I think that’s my main problem with BS’ arc in S6. People (like this writer) going, “BS is on the path to redemption” just because she’s played by KC. If she hadn’t been E2 LL, I feel like so much of her arc in S6 could have gone either way and an argument could be made too easily that she was still 100% evil at the end of S6 (BS screaming Diaz off the roof could have been a plan for him to escape, she could have not even cared about Lance and just cared about her own survival, etc.). They only had to do the bare minimum with BS in S6 for people (and Lance on the show) to go, “she’s being redeemed! She can be good! Shh, forget about the people she killed, Cayden said she hesitated before killing Vince,” etc. and it shows with comments like this. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

According to an insider, the studio is looking for an actress to play a world-weary Black Canary who has the ability to sing. This may have been the role Lady Gaga was approached for but ultimately passed on and it appears Warner Bros. wants to go in a different direction as well.

Now that would have been interesting.

• Love 4

The Black Canary casting has been all over the place like Arrow is with the characters lol. First its "They are looking for a white actress" then its "these two actresses are in the running" then "they want Blake Lively" then "they want Lady Gaga" then "Canary will be bi-racial" then "it's an open casting"

• Love 1

For me, Arrow has so thoroughly botched the BC character, with its revolving door of replacements and woeful attempts at integrating the character into the show, that I just can’t imagine any circumstances that would convince me to sit through another version, even in movie.

• Love 4

I have no desire to watch or get excited about any movie BC but I hope her fans finally get the version they've been longing for. Let's face it, Arrow never got it right. Well, Sara was the closest to it but then it just went to shit. Maybe if the movie version is a success we can finally get rid of the show version. PLEASE. ?

• Love 7

Supernatural boss rules out doing a crossover with Arrow: "Not going to work"
BY MORGAN JEFFERY  14 AUGUST 2018
http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/supernatural/news/a863854/supernatural-arrow-crossover/

Supernatural / Arrow fans, you can pretty much kiss goodbye to your dreams of the Green Arrow meeting the brothers Winchester.

Arrow star Stephen Amell insisted last year that he'd be "totally up for it" but now Supernatural showrunner Andrew Dabb has suggested that "mixing genres" for a crossover wouldn't work.
"The Scooby-Doo thing was very special for us and worked in a lot of ways," Dabb told Digital Spy and other media. "[But] the number of shows that can realistically cross over with Supernatural is very low."

He added: "Mixing genres in crossovers doesn't work that well, so, like, a crossover with Arrow is not going to work out for us."

Edited by tv echo

I watched the video and I didn't see anything that could be described as "behind the scenes" about it...

'Arrow' DVD Bonus Clip Takes Fans Behind the Scenes of Attack on Star City
By RUSS BURLINGAME - August 13, 2018
http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/08/13/arrow-dvd-bonus-clip-takes-fans-behind-the-scenes-of-the-attack-/

Warner Bros. Television has provided ComicBook.com with a look at one of the behind-the-scenes special features from the DVD and Blu-ray release of Arrow: The Complete Sixth Season, which will be in stores Tuesday, Aug. 14.

12 Biggest Plot Twists That Hurt The Arrowverse (And 8 That Saved It)
BY BRITT POTEET – ON AUG 13, 2018 
https://screenrant.com/arrowverse-big-plot-twists-good-bad/

20 HURT: ARROW - SARA’S PASSING
17 HURT: ARROW - OLIVER AND FELICITY'S BREAKUP
Fans have been quite attached to the pairing of Oliver and Felicity since the first season of the show.

“Olicity,” as they call the couple, has been a big driving force behind the plot of the show. The will-they-won’t-they dynamic has kept a lot of viewers on their toes.

When the couple finally got together, Olicity shippers were overjoyed and took to Twitter to celebrate.

However, the complicated dynamic that has continued between the two even as a couple has become quite frustrating. Their breakup proved to be a mess and was ultimately unimportant considering that they ended up getting back together.

A lot of fans have been very vocal about these frustrations, even calling it downright “stupid.”

Their breakup wasn’t exactly a well-received plot twist.

16 SAVED: ARROW - DINAH DRAKE AS BLACK CANARY
Black Canary is a beloved character in the comics, but her introduction in the Arrow universe hasn’t exactly been smooth.

While the character is typically Dinah Laurel Lance in the comics, in the show, Dinah and Laurel are two different people and have both been Black Canary. Laurel’s sister, Sara, has also taken up the mantle.

Fans were a little surprised when Laurel lost her life, as they wondered what would happen to the Canary mantel.

The addition of Dinah was a bit rushed, but fans have grown to accept her as an addition on the show.

Three separate Black Canary’s has certainly been a confusing, long road, but Arrow seems to have made a solid choice by making Dinah Drake the popular hero.

She is also the closest to the Canary in the comics that fans are used to in the comics, proving that the third time is the charm.

15 HURT: ARROW - OLIVER IS BLOODTHIRSTY
14 HURT: ARROW - TEAM ARROW BREAKING UP
In the early days of Arrow, the team was small and simple. It’s grown and changed quite a bit since then, and fans are always skeptical of new members.

So when fans finally accepted new members like Curtis, Rene, and Dinah only for them to leave Team Arrow, viewers were annoyed.

A major twist in season six of Arrow is the breakup of the team. Tensions are high between all of the characters and they all eventually end up leaving Oliver alone.

The writers attempted to have viewers sympathize with the new members who leave first, but fans weren’t having it.

Diggle, Felicity, and Oliver have always been the heart of the show, so it’s hard for viewers to care about the entire sidestory of Curtis, Rene, and Dinah throughout the season.

Also, Felicity and Diggle leaving Oliver just felt forced.
11 HURT: ARROW - OLIVER QUEEN'S SON
7 HURT: ARROW - DIGGLE'S FIGHT WITH OLIVER
Diggle and Oliver have always had one of the solid, most loyal relationships on Arrow. They’ve stood by each other’s sides through everything that the team has gone through, from losing people they love to struggling morality.

This is why when the writers had Diggle fight Oliver and leave him, fans were outraged.

Many viewers complained that Diggle’s characterization was completely off and that the writers were ruining him.

A lot of the speech that he gave to Oliver was hypocritical and illogical, as this Reddit user breaks down.

Diggle places all of the blame for his and Oliver’s actions solely on Oliver, when he has been by his side the entire time.

It’s like the writers were trying to force a huge conflict where there wasn’t one, and fans saw right through it and openly hated the twist.
2 SAVED: ARROW - THEA IS MALCOLM'S DAUGHTER
1 HURT: ARROW - LAUREL'S DEMISE
While Laurel has always caused tension among Arrow fans, most people weren’t prepared for her to lose her life. It seems like the majority fans agreed that taking Laurel out of the equation was a bad move for the show.

Her character had a tendency to be all over the place, but her struggles with addiction and her relationship with her father were compelling aspects of the show.

She was a major part of Arrow from the beginning, and the dynamic between the other characters shifted in her absence.

Laurel possessed so much potential. Her character's life was taken just as she was getting to an interesting place.

Her demise was merely a step to further Oliver’s guilt and anguish and push his story forward, and fans haven’t been happy with her loss.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

@tv echo I really admire how you manage to get your hands on all the videos/schedules/articles, watch it, transcribe it and summarise it for us! After all these years you're still doing it!!!!

The next show that inherits you will be VERY lucky! 

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 7

You're welcome, @Mellowyellow. I'll do it as long as I enjoy doing it (and have time to do it). 

I really don't know what show will obsess me after Arrow. I don't get addicted to many shows.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 7

The Law Is A Ass #436: Is Green Arrow Not Guilty By Reason Of Inanity?
Bob Ingersoll   August 13, 2018
https://www.comicmix.com/2018/08/13/the-law-is-a-ass-436-is-green-arrow-not-guilty-by-reason-of-inanity/

I’ve spent the past three weeks writing about the Arrow episode “Docket No. 11-19-41-73” and like Popeye said, “That’s all I can stands, I can’t stands no more!” No matter how long it takes, I’m going to finish with “Docket No. 11-19-41-73” today. Even if I have to write about it from the beginning all the way to the SPOILER WARNING! at the episode’s end.

Dramatis personæ: Oliver Queen: the defendant charged with vigilantism, murder, and the assorted mayhem from the past 5 seasons of Arrow. Alexa Van Owen: prosecutor. Jean Loring: defense attorney. Judge McGarvey: corrupt judge in the pay of crime lord Ricardo Diaz who wants McGarvey to be sure and get Ollie convicted. Me: the lawyer trying to make sense out of this entire mess; I’d have had an easier time reading tea leaves in a coffee plantation.
As we know Ollie is Green Arrow, we also know Tommy perjured himself. As Jean Loring also knew Ollie is Green Arrow, she suborned the perjury. As Judge McGarvey didn’t know who was Green Arrow, he ordered Tommy arrested. Whaddya know, the corrupt judge was the only person doing the right thing here.

... So even “Tommy’s” testimony he was Tommy Merlyn was a lie.

It was perjury within perjury. A veritable Russian nesting doll of courthouse lies, except that with this one each time you went down a layer, the lies got bigger. That last layer of lies wasn’t just perjury, it was an actual fraud upon the court. Was no one on Team Arrow paying attention to the fact that fellow team member Mr. Terrific’s jacket had “Fair Play” written on it?
Closing arguments followed. Along with the usual nonsense that Hollywood thinks makes for an effective closing argument, Alexa also informed the jury that Team Arrow intercepted the police escort taking “Tommy Merlyn” to jail and freed him. Which was improper. Closing arguments are supposed to summarize the evidence introduced in trial. They’re not allowed to add new facts which were never introduced into evidence like Oliver Queen has a vast network of operatives who freed Tommy Merlyn; you must convict him so that so that he can’t head up that network anymore. Of course, considering that the living incompetence that was Jean Loring didn’t object to this improper argument, I guess I can forgive Judge McGarvey in not striking it.
The jury found Ollie guilty. Jean Loring then asked the judge to grant a motion for judgement not withstanding the verdict and overrule the guilty verdict because it wasn’t supported by the evidence. Several people have asked me whether there is such a thing in trials and, in true lawyer-like fashion, I answered; yes and no.

Yes, there is such a thing as a judgment notwithstanding the verdict. No, Jean Loring wouldn’t have requested one. The JNOV is used in civil trials, not criminal trials.
In a criminal trial, defense counsel wouldn’t ask for a JNOV, instead counsel would move for a judgement of acquittal. So the criminal motion has a different name but argues the same thing; the evidence in the trial didn’t prove the defendant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt and the judge should overrule the guilty verdict and find the defendant not guilty.
I actually agreed with the judge’s decision. I thought the conflicting evidence created enough reasonable doubt that the jury should have found Ollie not guilty. I also applauded McGarvey for his courage in standing up to Diaz’s orders and making sure justice was done.
Turns out it wasn’t Judge McGarvey at all. It was Chris Chance disguised as Judge McGarvey. Team Arrow incapacitated McGarvey and planted their operative in his place to make sure that the trial ended with the proper result. The proper result here being that the man who actually was Green Arrow so actually was guilty of all the crimes charged in the indictment was found not guilty through perjury and multiple frauds upon the court. So, yay(?) justice triumphed.
Which is sad. If Team Arrow had thought through the logical repercussions of their machinations, they would have realized that if they just followed Judge McGarvey, they could catch Diaz in the act of kidnap and attempted murder. Not only would they have saved the judge’s life, they would have had actual evidence of a federal offense – kidnapping – which they could have taken to the FBI. Then Diaz could have be arrested and prosecuted outside of the Star City justice system, which he controlled. If Team Arrow had done that instead of taking a victory lap, they would have had an actual victory.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Really Famous podcast interview with RG (I have not listened to this entire podcast)...

Rick Gonzalez
Kara Mayer Robinson  August 13, 2018
https://player.fm/series/really-famous-celebrity-interviews/rick-gonzalez

Arrow star Rick Gonzalez and I laugh, analyze and dive deep on:

Learning the craft of acting
Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music and Art and Performing Art
Playing the "perp" on the first season of Law and Order: SVU
Being Rene Ramirez, aka Wild Dog, on Arrow
Growing up in a Puerto Rican and Dominican neighborhood in Brooklyn
Being a Latino actor ... and stereotypes
Why he turned away from acting
Falling off the rails
Getting back on track
Confidence
Kanye West
Rick's love life
Being a dad
Reconfirming his faith
His cool, funky, inexpensive glasses
Hang out with us for an hour and get to know the REAL Rick Gonzalez.

Sneak peek video for above Really Famous interview:
RICK GONZALEZ on BBQ chicken, shoes, fear, marriage, love life + Arrow
Published on Aug 13, 2018, by Really Famous

-- On what's something people don't get or know about Arrow, RG: "We do not conform to conventional TV, storytelling-wise."

Edited by tv echo
10 hours ago, tv echo said:

On what's something people don't get or know about Arrow, RG: "We do not conform to conventional TV, storytelling-wise."

The ego. Hate to break it to you Rick but Arrow is very very conventional television. 

• Love 7

Here's an Arrow S6 blu-ray review from one of our fave sites ;) ...

Blu-ray Review: Arrow: The Complete Sixth Season
August 12, 2018 Craig Byrne 
http://www.greenarrowtv.com/blu-ray-review-arrow-the-complete-sixth-season/

The Episodes: First off, I need to point out that – even though it wasn’t clearly advertised – the set includes ALL FOUR chapters of the “Crisis on Earth-X” crossover. This was a bit of a concern, considering that a major moment for the Arrow characters happens in the Legends of Tomorrow chapter. Seeing them in the high definition of Blu-ray was certainly a treat, and as good as Arrow looks on TV every week, I have to say that on Blu-ray, it looks even better.

I’ve rewatched several episodes on this set already, and I have to say I had forgotten how strong the season started. I’m curious to see if my opinion on the whole OTA vs. NTA stuff from the latter half of the season will change now that we know how the season ends. I liked some of the changed emotional stakes in Season 6, and felt several actors did some of their best work this year.

The Extras: In addition to the three bonus “Crisis on Earth-X” chapters, there’s an “Inside the Crossover” sit-down with several of the executive producers of the carious shows as well as “The Best of DC TV’s Comic-Con Panels” from 2017. I’m curious if the crossover sit-down and “Best of DC Panels” will be on all of the DC TV sets here, as even Gotham was included in the DC panels. Usually we just get the specific show involved.

There’s a featurette about Deathstroke, which is great as I loved Manu Bennett’s take on Slade and all, but… I’m not really sure that’s really what a set like this needed. When Slade was last on the show, it was October or November, and so his time on the series was old news. I do understand, though, that these features are often planned out early in the season. I actually would have liked something about the fracture of the team, perhaps; or maybe a feature about Ricardo “The Dragon” Diaz. Or even something about Black Siren? It just seemed kind of like out-of-place old news. There’s also a feature about Cayden James, which is the same sort of deal, as he was done away with sooner than 2/3 through the season. (Spoiler alert!)

There’s no gag reel, which is probably just as well as they have gotten so repetitive, but I was also disappointed by the lack of deleted scenes. Arrow in the past has always had wonderful scenes on the cutting room floor, and I’d imagine Season 6 is no exception. So what gives?
Is It Worth It? It’s absolutely worth it to get to see Arrow looking this good, and the “Crisis on Earth-X” feature with the producers itself was more than enough reason to buy. It’s also enjoyable to see the various Comic-Con panels if you missed them in person, especially seeing what they tease vs. what we actually had. Yes, you can watch the show on Netflix etc., but at this kind of video quality is hard to beat. It’s definitely on the “recommend” list. And, again, with the crossover, it’s a total of 26 episodes on one set, which is really nice.

Edited by tv echo

Where Arrow’s Season 6 Big Bad Went Wrong

August 16, 2018 by Brianna Martinez

https://www.telltaletv.com/2018/08/where-arrows-season-6-big-bad-went-wrong/

I am a firm believer in the idea that, to a certain extent, a show’s central arc is only as good as its “big bad” villain.

A villain that can add depth to the series and create a believable and engaging obstacle for characters to encounter and eventually overcome. A good villain may be unpredictable, but they still need to have some logical path towards the endgame by the end of the season.

Unfortunately for Arrow Season 6, the “big bad” came in the form of an underwhelming villain — The Dragon.

What started off as an interesting peek at a cabal of villains that included a pair of faces we’ve seen before, turned into a story that changes too many hands to sustain any interest by the time the back half of the season comes around.

Admittedly, I did believe that the cabal would serve as chances for some of the core characters to face off against their own villains — and it did seem that way during Arrow Season 6A, with Digg getting drugs from Diaz, Felicity’s history with Cayden, and of course Oliver and Anatoly’s unfinished business. . . .

Unfortunately, those hopes that each member of OTA would be getting their own villains were dashed rather quickly as these villains’ focuses shifted solely to Oliver. That shift in focus was hurried and came off as almost a quick switch in the story’s direction.

Where the thread gets lost is the motivation and the point of making Oliver the target, especially when Diaz got involved.

We don’t ever get insight into why Diaz was doing what he’s doing. From what can be gathered from Arrow Season 6 Episode 19, “The Dragon,” he was an orphan and bullied as a child and grew up to be a drug dealer with a thirst for killing people that got in his way.

There’s no indication that he ever crossed paths with Oliver in the past or even had an agenda set to destroy the man’s life until he realized that Oliver was an obstacle in his plan to take over the city — that’s what I gathered his plan was but your mileage may vary on what it actually was.

Even with somewhat questionable villains in past Arrow seasons, there has always been a clear narrative indicator as to what draws the villain to Oliver and the villain’s desire to destroy or kill him or even take over Star City.

Ultimately, what Diaz lacks in being a compelling villain is motivation and that logical thread that brings all of these independent actions (that come off more like nuisances than actual villainous acts) together to blow things up for the team and make for a compelling villain arc.

A villain after power just for the sake of having power adds nothing to the story and will ultimately weaken the story’s effect.

Couldn't agree more with this article. But unlike the author, rather than trying to "fix" Diaz in S7, I hope they just get rid of him.

• Love 8

SUPERHERO-TV CRIBS: 5 AWESOME CAVES, LAIRS, HQS, AND LABS
by Erik Amaya | August 16, 2018
https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/best-superhero-tv-headquarters/

But what defines a good lair? It should offer the hero or heroes as many tools as possible. Visually, it should convey some of the character’s persona. It should also offer a sort of stage for the hero and their friends to debate the crisis at hand — with lots of monitors, of course, for visual exposition. With those qualities in mind, here are five of the best lairs in comic book television.

The Arrowcave (Mark I) | Arrow   86%
arrow-stephen-amell-700x380.jpg

While the more recent Arrowcave definitely offers Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) and his team a very theatrical place from which to disagree about everything, the original Arrowcave shows off more of Ollie’s personality. Maybe that was always the intent.

Hidden in Ollie’s nightclub, Verdant, the first Arrowcave was little more than a long brick alleyway with space enough for his gear, his salmon ladder, some of John Diggle’s (David Ramsey) ordinance, Felicity Smoak’s (Emily Bett Rickards) fancy hacking set-up, and Roy Harper’s (Colton Haynes) costume. Felicity’s workstation also featured the requisite monitor from which to quip and ease the dramatic tension.

But the cramped quarters reflected one of the key aspects of Arrow in those days, Ollie’s uneasy alliance with anybody. The early days of the salmon ladder perfectly illustrated to lone brooder accustomed to solitude, while each new arrival made the set more cramped and Ollie’s stated desire to work alone more of a lie. While it may have never been an ideal space for conferences, its design reflected a certain theatricality Ollie himself would also deny.

The second Arrowcave traded in the oddly charming dank for a much larger, but somehow impersonal space for the reinforced Team Arrow.

Edited by tv echo

REVIEW: Arrow the Complete Sixth Season
Robert Greenberger  August 17, 2018
https://www.comicmix.com/2018/08/17/review-arrow-the-complete-sixth-season/

In what could have been a final season, that unevenness was never more frustrating as the show whipsawed characters and situations into increasingly dumb configurations that annoyed rather than entertained.

You can revisit all the nonsense in Arrow: The Complete Sixth Season, out now on Blu-ray and Digital HD from Warner Home Entertainment.
Along the way, we have the crossover “Crisis on Earth-X” which ended with Ollie and Felicity finally tying the knot and shifting her from the geeky, fun, and intense hacker to the nurturing surrogate mother, watering her down as a character.

The producers decided their overstuffed Team Arrow needed pairing and contrived to force them into betraying and distrusting one another so they’re split into the Original Team and the New Team, none of which is convincingly handled. Neither is the internal strife between Ollie and John Diggle (David Ramsey), as they feud over which ones gets to play Green Arrow, further splitting the team.

In perhaps the most interesting twist, halfway through the season, James is killed off by the real mastermind behind everything, thuggish Ricardo Diaz (Kirk Acevado) who then is revealed to have somehow put every cop and judge in the city inside his suit pockets. Once more, the antagonist appears to have thought of everything while our heroes stumble into one another, blindly led into trap after trap, never growing wiser or better prepared. Aiding him is Anatoli (David Nykl), who really added little this season and was wasted while Black Siren (Katie Cassidy) seemed to play both sides against the middle with no clear agenda.

Diaz forces his way into The Quadrant, described as the secret cabal running America’s underworld but they come across as boobs, as one by one, Diaz shoots them without consequence. He, sadly, repeatedly survives near death and will remain a threat in the seventh season, commencing in October.
The sheer incoherence of the plotting spoils some great performances and the overemphasis on the amazing stunt fighting has long since become boring. Should the seventh be the final season, one hopes new showrunner Beth Schwartz will bring some dramatic coherence and discipline to the series.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

On Sale This Week from @CollectDST : Ghostbusters, Arrow and Nightmare!
Daniel Pickett   August 17, 2018
http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/on-sale-this-week-from-collectdst-ghostbusters-arrow-and-nightmare/

DC Gallery Arrow TV PVC Diorama

A Diamond Select Toys Release! You have failed this city! The Green Arrow brings his brand of justice to the DC Gallery line with this sculpture of Oliver Queen from the CW TV series Arrow! Based on Stephen Amell’s portrayal of the character on the show, this 9-inch PVC diorama shows him drawing an arrow from his quiver atop a Queen Consolidated rooftop. This sculpture features detailed sculpting and paint applications and comes packaged in a full-color window box. Sculpted by Rocco Tartamella! (Item # FEB182294, SRP: $45.00)

CW_Gallery_Arrow.jpg?fit=300,451        CW_Gallery_Arrow3.jpg?fit=287,500

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Along the way, we have the crossover “Crisis on Earth-X” which ended with Ollie and Felicity finally tying the knot and shifting her from the geeky, fun, and intense hacker to the nurturing surrogate mother, watering her down as a character.

I don't think she got watered down by being a mother. But I am pissed that there isn't more of a story for her as a mother. There was no conflict in her relationship with William, and by conflict I don't mean fighting. It's just that they started out in pretty good terms and it just stayed like that. 

• Love 2

IIRC, this site has been historically anti-Olicity...

Arrow: Team Arrow’s greatest members
Josh Baggins   August 17, 2018
https://bamsmackpow.com/2018/08/17/arrow-greatest-members/

8. Overwatch (Felicity Smoak)
Every hero needs a “guy in the chair”, or in this case a brilliant technologically savvy computer hacking gal in the chair. One of the earliest to join Team Arrow, Felicity is more invested in the squad than any other member due to her romantic relationship with Oliver. Felicity has become a renaissance woman; she is one of the world’s most accomplished computer hackers and was also CEO of Palmer Tech and founder of Helix Dynamics, all while guiding superheroes from the Arrowcave as Overwatch.

Although not a fighter like the rest of the team, Felicity is a vital part of most missions, especially when the heroes are up against hackers like the Calculator (her father) or the Bug-Eyed Bandit. But most importantly, she is counted on for situations such as rerouting nuclear missiles. Eventually Oliver and Felicity get married and she is now in the demanding position of caring for Oliver’s son as he is locked away in prison. Will Felicity help her husband gain his freedom?
2. Black Canary (Laurel Lance)
Laurel Lance is high on the list because she went through a compelling arc through the years. Even before becoming the Black Canary, she was fighting for justice as a lawyer. Laurel had bounced back from several traumatic experiences over the years, always coming out strong on the other side.

After finding out that Oliver betrayed her with her own sister, she then mourned them as both were thought to have sunk in the ocean. She rebounded with Tommy Merlyn who was then killed in Star City’s first terrorist attack. Laurel deals with alcoholism and the deaths of even more loved ones before picking herself up and training to fight back.

To prove herself to Oliver, she works with Wildcat to eventually become the Black Canary, carrying the Canary mantle after her sister. We watch as her fighting abilities develop as she stubbornly refuses to back down from many tight situations. She gains Oliver’s trust as a member of his team, yet she is brutally cut down in action at the height of her prime. Her death may be one of the most shocking in the Arrowverse.
1. Spartan (John Diggle)
How could the man who at one time took over for Oliver as the Green Arrow not be number 1? Spartan was the first apprentice on Oliver’s quest to vanquish criminals who have failed Star City. He started out as Oliver’s bodyguard – obviously Ollie did not require those services. Diggle is always willing to do the dirty work and step up in Oliver’s absence.

Out of all the Team Arrow members, Diggle is the most active with his diversification of hero-like activities. Aside from fighting crime alongside Oliver, he has a background in the military, dabbles in some special ops work through his connection to Argus, and is even tasked with leading the Suicide Squad for a few missions. Because of his wide range of experiences, his skill set is vast and he can handle himself in almost any arena.

10. Atom (Ray Palmer)
9. Canary/White Canary (Sara Lance)
8. Overwatch (Felicity Smoak)
7. Mr. Terrific (Curtis Holt)
6. Black Canary II (Dinah Drake)
5. Speedy (Thea Queen)
4. Arsenal (Roy Harper)
3. Wild Dog (Rene Ramirez)
2. Black Canary (Laurel Lance)
1. Spartan (John Diggle)

Edited by tv echo

Ha, ha, ha that Mr. Terrific is more important the Felicity.  Ditto just about everyone else. And Wild Dog is third??? How in the world does he justify that?

Thanks @tv echo for copying the list in order so I don't have to go to the site and give it clicks.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Ha, ha, ha that Mr. Terrific is more important the Felicity.  Ditto just about everyone else. And Wild Dog is third??? How in the world does he justify that?

Thanks @tv echo for copying the list in order so I don't have to go to the site and give it clicks.

My guess is his logic is that fighters are greater then non fighters (Felicity) and people who aren't actually apart of Team Arrow and never were (Sara and Ray), regardless of whether they make good characters or not because their appreciation  is fairly basic. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Mary0360 said:

fighters are greater then non fighters (Felicity) and people who aren't actually apart of Team Arrow and never were (Sara and Ray), regardless of whether they make good characters or not

That makes sense as an explanation. But if so, it's a very shallow and simplistic evaluation.  Sara had far more effect on and influence over Oliver both past and present than Wild Dog ever will.

And of course Felicity is the least important part of the actual Team.

• Love 1

I mean,  it's pretty spectacular that he seems to have absolutely no combat experience and always goes down first but still feels the need to call himself terrific and that the teams want him in the field. 

• Love 4