Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Here’s hoping Arrow gives Dinah the opportunity to shine both as a hero, a detective, and as a woman.

Here's hoping they don't have her act like a hypocritical asshole. That's the most I can possibly hope for at this point. 

• Love 6

It's a shame they ruined Dinah in S6 because I would've been open to a Felicity/Dinah friendship before but now I don't want it. Keep her away from my fave, thanks!

(Knowing my luck this will be the season they actually give Felicity a female friend and it'll be the character I detest! ?)

• Love 3
(edited)

At first, I was really surprised that Oliver and Felicity were number one, but OMG, the write-up is perfection. ETA: I just realized the article was written by jbuffyangel. I'm no longer surprised Oliver and Felicity are number one, LOL. The write-up is still perfection.

24 TV Couples Killing it at Marriage

The story often ends at the altar for many shows. The writers reward fans for surviving the long and arduous journey of will they/won’t they by giving the favorite couple their happily ever after.

However, for some shows, marriage is not the end of the story. It’s just the beginning. We watch our beloved couples live their vows week to week on the roller coaster ride of marriage.

We’ve examined 21 Greatest ‘Will They/Won’t They’ Couples, so let’s rank the couples who show us how marriage is done.

4. Diggle and Lyla, Arrow

diggle-and-lyla-400.gif?zoom=2&resize=50

Diggle and Lyla were divorced when they fell in love again, but they got it right the second time around. Their lives are filled with danger and it requires sacrifice. However, the challenges Diggle and Lyla face also help prioritize what is truly important – love, family, friends, duty, and honor.

They work as a solid and cohesive unit, even when they disagree because they don’t take each other for granted. They are equals in every way.

1. Oliver and Felicity, Arrow

olicity-400.gif?zoom=2&resize=540,238&ss

Arrow has the opposite problem of the Moonlighting Curse. The show suffers when Oliver and Felicity are kept apart.

Happily, Season 6 was the permanent end to those shenanigans as Oliver and Felicity officially tied the knot. They also immediately dived into parenthood and their moments with William are co-parenting at its best.

Their transition into marriage was almost effortless because Oliver and Felicity acted like a married couple long before any legal documentation made them so. Married is their natural state.

Oliver and Felicity challenge each other, support one another and always bring out the best in one another. They also teach an important lesson about relationships.

We don’t need anyone to be our light. We all have a light within us. Love is about finding the person who can harness your light.

In other words, love the person who brings out the very best version of you.

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 14
(edited)
52 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

Arrow has the opposite problem of the Moonlighting Curse. The show suffers when Oliver and Felicity are kept apart.

I totally agree with this. And it's not just when they are actually broken up. When Oliver and Felicity's interactions are limited, the show suffers, IMO. That's why I'm not looking forward to an extended prison stay for Oliver. (Unless they have Oliver dreaming of Felicity every week :P )

Also, I totally should have known it was jbuffyangel who wrote that after the "light" mention, LOL!

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I totally agree with this. And it's not just when they are actually broken up. When Oliver and Felicity's interactions are limited, the show suffers, IMO. That's why I'm not looking forward to an extended prison stay for Oliver. (Unless they have Oliver dreaming of Felicity every week :P ) 

Also, I totally should have known it was jbuffyangel who wrote that after the "light" mention, LOL!

In the spirit of democracy I'm willing to accept him and Felicity alternating their dreams. It's big of me, I know. 

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

It's that time of the year again.  I swear I try to keep my answers as short as possible, lol.  

I always look forward to reading your answers. :)

Edited by Starfish35
Quote double posted :(
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Soulfire said:

I'm just catching up but their ability to continue to promote Rene and Dinah (at the expense of Felicity and Diggle who were completely absent here) just blows my mind. Two of the worst characters in S6 and they're in the trailer? WTF. Awful.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

It's that time of the year again.  I swear I try to keep my answers as short as possible, lol.

You're the one that puts the most thought into the show.  You also come off as objective, which is very impressive.

It's amusing that Matt, who watches the least, was in favour of all the things I hate.

I found it super icky that Quentin (and the writers behind him) could feel people were so easily swapped out and replaced.

Going back to its roots ... the show started with sister-swapping. Now it's Earth-swapping.

Did you not get the last question or did they just forget to put your name in?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Did you not get the last question or did they just forget to put your name in?

He forgot to give me that question the first time around.  I have answered it since but he's going to have to add it in later.  

I basically said I think season 8 feels really likely to happen and that as long as SA, EBR, and DR want to stick around I was in favor of the show staying on air but when one of them goes, it stops being Arrow.  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Angel12d said:

I'm just catching up but their ability to continue to promote Rene and Dinah (at the expense of Felicity and Diggle who were completely absent here) just blows my mind. Two of the worst characters in S6 and they're in the trailer? WTF. Awful.

I don't remember anymore, but was Curtis in the promo? 

(edited)
18 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

@BkWurm1, I enjoyed reading your answers. I thought you were the most thoughtful writer. As always, I respect you for participating in that roundtable.  (I see Craig is still trash-talking Olicity fans.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, tv echo said:

@BkWurm1, I enjoyed reading your answers. I thought you were the most thoughtful writer. As always, I respect you for participating in that roundtable.  (I see Craig is still trash-talking Olicity fans.)

It's like he can't help it even when most of his talking points about Olicity were positive.  

(edited)

WHERE TO BUY JEWELRY AS WORN BY BUFFY SUMMERS, FELICITY SMOAK AND BETTY COOPER
Emma Fraser   July 21, 2018
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/where-to-buy-jewelry-as-worn-by-buffy-summers-felicity-smoak-and-betty-cooper

SYFY FANGRRLS spoke to jewelry designer Peggy Li about how a hobby turned into a career, her big Buffy the Vampire Slayer break and engaging with fandom. Li’s work has appeared on numerous television shows including the aforementioned Buffy and more recently Arrow, The Vampire Diaries, Riverdale and The Good Witch.
Buying items you have seen a character wear on a show that aired last week can be tricky, due to the lag between when the episode was shot and its air date. This is often months, even longer if it is a movie. But Li noted that with her store, “I’m lucky that [as a business] I am small enough that often those pieces will be available. So it is something they can actually see, go on online and get. I think that is very satisfying.” Visitors can buy items that appeared on Buffy nearly two decades ago, as well as something Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards) wore on Arrow more recently.
The process for how Li’s handcrafted pieces end up on screen varies. Some costume designers request certain pieces. On other occasions she will send a box of options, which they then make their selection from. Some designers send a character breakdown, whereas others will simply pick the pieces they like from a wide range. Occasionally a piece will be a prop, integral to a storyline, as was the case on Pretty Little Liars when the request was for a “delicate dainty gold earring.” Li’s pieces have been used on Arrow since Season 2, and that relationship has given Li “a feeling for the kind of things they like." For example, costume designer Maya Mani asked for more silver pieces for the most recent season.

Pitching costume designers is another method, something Li is gearing up for at the moment as shows are about to go back into or start production for the fall TV season. The Charmed and Roswell reboots are two she would love her jewelry to appear on, but she is also keen to be back on Arrow and Riverdale. The common denominator here is The CW, but Li mentioned that her relationship is with the costume designers, not the network.  

Edited by tv echo

Happy birthday, Emily Bett Rickards: Why Felicity Smoak is so darn awesome by Alexandria Ingham

It’s Felicity Smoak’s birthday! Well, it’s Arrow star Emily Bett Rickards’ birthday, who has brought Felicity to life. Here’s a look at why Felicity is, by far, the most inspiring character on the series.

Arrow‘s Emily Bett Rickards turns 27 today. What better day of the year to put a spotlight on her character Felicity Smoak? Emily has stolen hearts, made us laugh, and inspired many fans to jump out of their comfort zones.

Just what makes Felicity so awesome? Why is she so inspiring? To celebrate Emily’s birthday, here’s a look.

Felicity Smoak the computer genius

When we first met Felicity in Arrow season 1, she was the tech girl at the company. Nervous and shy, she hid behind her computer and stumbled over her words. She was everything females watching could relate to when around the hot, passionate Oliver Queen.

Over the years, she’s grown as a person. She’s jumped out of her shell and taken a step out of her comfort zone. Many others have been inspired to do the same. If the tech girl can find love and become more forceful in what she believes, surely everyone else can too?

One of the best things about Felicity’s character development is that she’s not just out looking for love. Sure, she and Oliver have found their way to each other, broken up, and then found their way back to each other, but that’s not just her storyline. We’ve seen her grow as a person, as an activist and as a tech girl without Oliver being a part of it. It’s inspiring for other women who don’t want a man to define them.

Proving the support is crucial

Remember when you were a kid and you always wanted to play the leader when acting out your favorite TV show or movie? You wanted to be the one in the middle of the action because that’s the most important role right? Well, Felicity has inspired more to be the eyes and ears of the group. She’s proven that support roles are absolutely crucial.

Without Felicity, Team Arrow would have been caught more times than not. They would have failed at hurdles and would never have been able to protect the city. She’s the one who follows the police scanners, watches out through drones and CCTV footage and uses her skills to thwart good and bad guys in their paths to make sure Team Arrow can get through the mission and fight unscathed.

It’s inspiring to see the one not in the middle of the fight be one of the most important members of the team. The rest of the Arrowverse has built upon this idea, with the likes of Cisco and Harrison Wells taking important roles in The Flash. It was Felicity that started this and made everyone want to be Oversight.

Without Emily Bett Rickards, we wouldn’t have Felicity. And without her on Arrow, we wouldn’t have a female who is strong and beautiful inside and out proving that we don’t all need to be in the middle of the action to be important.

Happy birthday, Emily! Thank you for bringing Felicity to life in such an awesome way.

• Love 8
(edited)

Happy Birthday, Emily Bett Rickards!
Denise Caputo  July 24, 2018
https://fanfest.com/2018/07/24/happy-birthday-emily-bett-rickards-2/

Please join us in wishing a very happy birthday to Arrow star Emily Bett Rickards! She celebrates her 27th birthday today!

Emily is best known for her lovable role as Felicity Smoak on the CW series Arrow. Just this past weekend, she attended San Diego Comic-Con along with the rest of the series cast. ...
In addition to being a fan favorite on the hit show Arrow, Emily is also a frequent guest and fan favorite at Heroes and Villains Fan Fest events all around the world where she putting smiles on fans faces and making dreams come true!

Emily, we want to wish you the happiest of happy birthdays today! We hope all of your birthday wishes come true and that you have an amazing day!

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

Olicity gets criticized in some corners for "turning" Arrow into a soap opera, but just read this summary of Thea's journey on Arrow...

The Many Secret Siblings of the CW’s Teen Dramas, Ranked
By Cate Young  July 25, 2018
http://www.vulture.com/2018/07/the-many-secret-siblings-of-the-cws-teen-dramas-ranked.html

Everyone knows that a good soap opera is built on tropes. The long-lost secret sibling is one of the very best, and if you haven’t noticed, the CW absolutely loves using it. At least 11 different CW shows have utilized this specific trope in all sorts of twisted ways — from evil stalkers to illegitimate royalty — and the bizarre circumstances of their secret existences seem to know no bounds. This past year alone, both Riverdale and Dynasty unearthed secret older brothers who are introduced to their families via an imposter: one involved covering up an murder, and the other involved an amputated finger!
... Let’s break down the best secret siblings of the CW, ranked from least to most utterly chaotic. Spoilers for each show throughout, of course.
10. Arrow (2012–present)
Saving the city is a lot of work, but does anyone ever think about Batman Jr.’s little sister? After the death of her father and return of her declared dead brother, Thea Queen (Willa Holland) falls into a routine of hard partying and drug use, as well as a crush on her brother Oliver’s (Stephen Amell) best friend Tommy Merlyn (Colin Donnell). But surprise! Tommy is actually her paternal half-brother, and she is the result of an affair her mother had with trained assassin Malcolm Merlyn (John Barrowman), whose attempted mass murder was fueled by the (very racist!) presumption that the slums of Starling City were in need of literal eradication. While Tommy dies in said attempted mass murder, Thea eventually comes to terms with her new identity, becoming an assassin in her own right under her biological father’s tutelage and joining Team Arrow as Speedy. She also murders a friend while under the influence of psychotropic drugs (and is resurrected by the mythical Lazarus Pit after being stabbed in the chest), but those things are mercifully unrelated to the parts about the super-brother she didn’t know about.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Stephen Amell's Favorite Moments From Arrow Season 6
 BY LAURA HURLEY  JULY 26, 2018
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2454615/stephen-amells-favorite-moments-from-arrow-season-6

The sixth season of Arrow saw a lot of ups and downs, and Oliver experienced everything from facing his evil doppelganger from Earth-X to tying the knot with lady love Felicity to winding up in prison after a fight to take back the city. Star Stephen Amell was asked at the recent San Diego Comic-Con what his favorite of all those Season 6 moments actually was, and he couldn't choose just one. Here's what he had to say:

"That's a good question. I liked the finale. I liked Oliver's moments with everyone in the finale. And my scene with Emily, where I'm telling her what I'm going to do. That was a highlight for me. And my last scene with Paul was...shit...that was, man oh man, I get sad just thinking about it."
Then there's Stephen Amell's scene with Emily Bett Rickards in the finale, which was just about as heartbreaking as anything Arrow has ever done. Felicity was blindsided by Oliver's deal with the F.B.I., which resulted in her saying an indefinite farewell to her husband, losing her partner in vigilantism, and suddenly being solely responsible for a young boy she had only met a little over a year ago. All things considered, the finale was an emotionally intense episode that was clearly a joy for Amell to act, even if fans weren't exactly overjoyed by the end.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

6 Years of ‘Arrow’ & Olicity: How We Fell in Love
Jul 26, 2018  by Sarah Cudlipp
http://theseriesregulars.com/6-years-of-arrow-olicity-how-we-fell-in-love/

Let’s be real, Oliver and Felicity's relationship is a central pillar of Arrow. If you don’t love Olicity, you definitely love to hate them. Either way, this couple tends to promote intense emotions. So let’s talk about what six years has done to us! Now, listen, we understand that everyone roots for different things. Even if you aren't a huge Olicity fan, we support you. This is the land of all ships! But today, we're celebrating Arrow's six year long love story.
Year One
Oliver and Felicity started out as vigilante and tech support. But as season one progressed, we fell more in love with Felicity and the idea of her and Oliver. Felicity was adorkable and we wanted her to have a glass of tall, brooding vigilante.

While there definitely seemed to be a strong sexual undercurrent, there was a distinct possibility it was all in our heads. We can admit it. There was an immediate obsession with Olicity and we got a little crazy. Hell, we can still crazy! But aren’t all captains supposed to stand with their ships no matter what?
Year Two
This was it! Things were happening! Felicity knew Oliver’s secret, Oliver got jealous, and they were pretty protective of each other. This was also the season Diggle became the real captain of our ship. As if we couldn’t love him more! But at the end of this season, things got real. Like, really real.

We flew by invested and passed obsession about ten miles back. The moment in the mansion as Team Arrow executed their plan gave us life. The looks they gave each other told us everything we needed to know, and then some. How could things get better?! We were more hyped than ever for the next season.
Year Three
We don’t speak for everyone of course. But for us here at The Series Regulars, season three will always be one of the best Olicity seasons. Sure, there was some rough times. And yes, Oliver insisting he couldn’t be himself and the Arrow had us throwing snacks at our televisions. Not that we don’t understand, we’ve just heard it a million times.

But we got a love fern. A love fern, people! Sure, it got smashed later, but that thing was our beacon of hope! We got a date. Okay, so it ended in an explosion. Then we got what we had been waiting for. The exchange of ‘I love you’. Be still our hearts! Then they literally drove off into the sunset while we all had to take a ride in the fanbulance.
Year Four
Our anticipation was at an all time high. The season opener had us jumping up and down and shrieking so much, we had to watch the episode again to actually see what happened. Not that we wouldn’t have watched it again anyway. But things did not stay great. We expected some bumps, but we got a lot more than that.

Felicity was shot, Oliver had a secret child, friends were brought back from the dead, and friends were lost. By the end of this season, there wasn’t a lot of hope left. Just when we had finally gotten the engagement we were waiting for, it was over. But this fandom doesn’t give up easily and we had strong leaders that continued giving us hope.
Year Five
The roughest year of all for the Olicity fandom. Our couple was over, but their friendship stayed strong and their bonds with each other and Diggle kept the team going. We had a few memories along the way to tide us over, but we had a lot of not so great situations to sit through as well.

Oliver and Felicity began new relationships. Thankfully they didn’t last long, but they were still painful to watch. Adrian Chase entered the scene and he wasn’t messing around. We learned a lot about all the characters in this season and we still held on to that little flame of hope that Oliver would find happiness with Felicity.
Year Six
We got to see our couple done right. Oliver and Felicity already knew everything about each other at this point, but decided to take the road back to being together a bit slower. We were fine with that, but we wanted more. They needed to learn to understand and listen to each other. We got to see that in the best way possible. We knew where this road was going to lead and we’ve never been so happy to be right.

Our couple finally got married and decided to take on their problems together. Oliver had someone to come home to that would understand and Felicity had someone to support her completely. We finally had the couple we’d been hoping for. We can’t wait to see what the future will hold for them!

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 6
(edited)

Arrow Season 7 Will Let Fly With Fewer Spoilers, And I'm Actually OK With That

By Matt Webb Mitovich / July 30 2018

Could a less-spoiled Arrow season prove to be, by definition, a better season?

If the superhero series’ visit to this month’s San Diego Comic-Con made anything clear, it’s that new showrunner Beth Schwartz — and by extension, her cast — will be holding things much closer to the leather vest as Oliver Queen navigates his supermax situation and Roy Harper somehow resurfaces, stag. At Comic-Con, Schwartz described herself as “the spoiler police,” explaining that she prefers to have fans “enjoy [the show] when it airs, and not find out things too early.” In turn, series lead Stephen Amell & Co. proved more guarded with Season 7 preview, not even (to cite one example) elaborating on the well-teased Longbow Hunters element, even though casting for three of Ricardo Diaz’s cohorts had been trumpeted at the Con.

Mind you, Schwartz’s predecessors, Marc Guggenheim and Wendy Mericle, seldom “overshared” in the course of delivering preview, but they did freely hint at the direction a storyline or character was headed. Schwartz seemingly prefers to not go that far, and the cast accordingly has fallen in line. Heck, the show’s Comic-Con panel, combined with a Season 7 trailer, the cast’s (admittedly distracted) visit to TVLine’s video suite and assorted press room chit-chats only added up to the same handful of story points: Oliver’s having a rough time behind bars! Felicity and Diggle are lonely/missing Oliver! Rene, Dinah and Curtis are struggling to uphold Green Arrow’s legacy in a vigilante-free city! Diaz remains a threat!

But a less-spoiled Arrow season could be a good thing. Maybe even a great thing. The fact is that after six years, there aren’t a ton of places for the show to go, so the slightest half of a breadcrumb will get fans speculating, perhaps correctly, about what’s next. Plus, a Schwartz-led Arrow could be a markedly different beast than what the show has been in recent years, so how better to safeguard any upcoming zags by clamping down on intel?

New Arrow boss Schwartz unfortunately couldn’t make it to TVLine’s Comic-Con video Q&A, but that only has me more eagerly anticipating our very first 1-on-1. We then can each see what happens when an unstoppable, scoop-seeking force meets an immovable, “spoiler police” object. Again — fun.

Edited by KenyaJ

This makes me think that infamous spoiler from David and the denials that followed, may be the cast misleading everyone to create an element of surprise if Beth was unhappy about it getting out. 

• Love 1
(edited)

These Arrow reviews (617, 618, 621) were written by a lawyer in Ohio...

The Law Is A Ass #432: Things Aren’t Impeachy Keen with Green Arrow
Bob Ingersoll May 29, 2018
https://www.comicmix.com/2018/05/29/the-law-is-a-ass-432-things-arent-impeachy-keen-with-green-arrow/

First, I’m going to SPOILER WARNING you that I’m about to give away much of the plots of the Arrow episodes “Brothers in Arms” and “Fundamentals.” If you haven’t seen them, you might want to stop reading and go to Disneyland in Ollie’s stead.
An impeachment is an indictment, not a conviction. Articles of impeachment are the formal charges brought against the official. They lay out what high crimes or misdemeanors the official has committed to warrant said official being impeached, but they don’t remove the official from office.
So, even though Star City City Council voted to impeach Mayor Queen, he wouldn’t have been removed from office or turned power over to Deputy Mayor Lance. He would have continued as mayor while some other body conducted a trial. He would only have been removed from office if he was convicted of those articles of impeachment. At some later time.

The Law Is A Ass #433: Green Arrow Wants Me To Trial Little Tenderness
Bob Ingersoll July 23, 2018
https://www.comicmix.com/2018/07/23/the-law-is-a-ass-433-green-arrow-wants-me-to-trial-little-tenderness/

We’re talking about the Arrow episode “Docket No. 11-19-41-73.” Keep those numbers handy; we’ll be talking about them for a while. And, no, I wouldn’t advise playing them in your local lottery. Why should those numbers be winners? Nothing else about this episode was.
Ricardo Diaz, the crime lord who had taken control of Star City earlier in the season felt it wasn’t enough that he used the corrupt politicians under his control to impeach Oliver as the Mayor of Star City, he also had his underlings prosecute Oliver. Diaz wanted Oliver to spend the rest of his life in prison, while Ollie watched Diaz ravage Star City. Diaz even brought in a special prosecutor, Alexa Van Owen with her 99% conviction rate, to prosecute Ollie. And that still wasn’t the worst thing Diaz did. Considering Kirk Acevedo, the actor playing Diaz, never saw a piece of scenery in the Arrow sets that he didn’t treat as a blue plate special, the worst thing Diaz did was emote.
Manslaughter is not a lesser included offense of some “Don’t Be a Vigilante” Ordinance. First of all, manslaughter is a felony and, as I said, the anti-vigilante ordinance would be a misdemeanor. So manslaughter is a higher-degree crime than the anti-vigilante ordinance. It can’t be a lesser included offense.
Uh, Alexa, didn’t you vet your witness so that you’d know the answer to that all-important question before calling her? No. Okay. Still, a mistake that fundamental makes me doubt that 99% conviction rate. Seriously, on L.A. Law Susan Dey also played a prosecutor named Van Owen who would have done a better job. Hell, Susan Dey’s other big role, Laurie Partridge, would have done a better job.

The Law Is A Ass #434: Green Arrow’s Prosecutor Is Trying My Patience
Bob Ingersoll July 30, 2018
https://www.comicmix.com/2018/07/30/the-law-is-a-ass-434-green-arrows-prosecutor-is-trying-my-patience/

If, as it has been said, a fish rots from the head down, then Team Arrow, from The CW’s Arrow, must be a twenty ton whale shark that’s decomposing from the head, Oliver (Green Arrow) Queen, down through the rotting body that is Green Arrow’s support group, Team Arrow. Why I call them rotten is something we’ll go into as “The Law Is a Ass” continues to suffer the migraine that is the Arrow episode “Docket No. 11-19-41-73.”
If Alexa had interviewed Dinah and learned Dinah was going to say Ollie wasn’t Green Arrow, then Alexa wouldn’t have called her. Not calling a witness whose testimony will contradict your case is so basic that not even Dr. McCoy would have quibbled over the logic. If, on the other hand, Alexa had interviewed Dinah and Dinah had told her Ollie was Green Arrow, then Alexa would have had a prior inconsistent statement from Dinah, which she could have used to impeach Dinah’s testimony.
So for the first – and only – time in her trial, Alexa had a witness who did testify that Oliver Queen was Green Arrow. Then Alexa got to the heart of the various homicide and assault charges leveled against Ollie. She asked Rene if he ever saw Green Arrow kill or maim people. Rene testified that he had, but there were too many occurrences for him to estimate how many people it was.
See, in a trial for homicide and assault, it isn’t enough for a witness to testify that he saw the defendant kill or maim lots of people. The witness has to testify that he saw the defendant kill or maim the specific victims named in the indictments. Or, if not that, how about the testimony of the medical examiner that he pulled green arrows out of the corpses of people Oliver Queen was charged with killing? Something, anything, to prove that Ollie killed the people named in the indictment as opposed to a general murder of murder victims.

ETA: He has also reviewed other superhero shows and some superhero movies -
https://www.comicmix.com/author/bob-ingersoll/

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

Here's an interesting article from a few months ago (although I don't completely agree with the writer's depiction of Felicity)...

Depictions of Women in STEM: Felicity Smoak and Dr. Caitlin Snow
ALICEN RICARD    March 16, 2018
https://www.sfu.ca/wwest/WWEST_blog/depictions-of-women-in-stem--felicity-smoak-and-dr--caitlin-snow.html

In this month’s Depictions of Women in STEM post, I am profiling and comparing hacker extraordinaire and former CEO of Palmer Technologies, Felicity Smoak and the brilliant, and occasionally villainous Dr. Caitlin Snow. Superhero shows have really taken off in the past five years or so. Both Marvel and DC have been moving their content onto the small screen - DC has practically taken over the TV network the CW with the “Arrowverse.” The Arrowverse started with the TV show Arrow and later spun off into three other shows as well: The Flash, Supergirl, and Legends of Tomorrow. However, it isn’t the superheroes themselves I’m talking about here, it’s the women in STEM who help these heroes catch the bad guys.

In these four shows there are two main characters who are women in STEM. Felicity Smoak from Arrow and Caitlin Snow from The Flash. In Arrow Felicity, played by Emily Bett Rickards, is the only woman in STEM. Granted, there aren't a lot of other women, period. The other two characters in STEM are both men: Ray Palmer and Curtis Holt. Ray is no longer on the show but he was primarily a love interest for Felicity until they gave him a superhero storyline and moved him over to Legends of Tomorrow. Curtis was introduced in season four of the show and his sole purpose is to be the new “Felicity” since she is now in a higher position.

Felicity is a quirky, bubbly, and intelligent woman, who often has trouble standing up for both herself and her job no matter how qualified she is. She has a degree in computer science from MIT. When she was in her senior year her boyfriend, Cooper Seldon, got both of them into some trouble which made Felicity “reinvent” herself from a hacker to a “good girl” (“The Secret Origins of Felicity Smoak”).
There are some positive aspects to Felicity's portrayal, despite the fact that sometimes she’s only there to be a love interest for the male protagonist. The audience sees her become more and more successful in her career as she becomes more prominent of a character. When the show started, she was an IT girl. In season two, not only did she become a series regular, she also gets promoted in her job to Executive Assistant. After Queen Consolidated is bought and becomes Palmer Technologies in season three, she becomes Vice President. In season four Ray Palmer “dies,” and Felicity becomes the CEO of the company. This is so important to see on television since off screen, there are fewer women CEOs than there are CEOs named John. Along with her career progressing, her confidence in what she does also progresses. By season four she knows that she's good at what she does and she's no longer afraid to stand up for herself.
DO ARROW AND THE FLASH MEET THE GOALS SET OUT BY THE WHITE HOUSE FOR BETTER REPRESENTATION OF WOMEN IN STEM FIELDS?

The former Obama Administration's White House fact sheet lists 3 goals for fictional representation of women in STEM. We are noticing a trend in the movies and television shows we have reviewed - they meet some of the following goals better than others.

1.  Include diverse STEM role models (past and present): In Arrow, Felicity is the only person in STEM who is a woman. Everyone else in STEM is a man. The show does have many “strong female characters,” many of whom are even superheroes, but as they are not in STEM, this show does not meet this goal. The Flash is a more STEM-centric show than Arrow, but Caitlin is the only main character who is a woman in STEM. For a couple seasons, they also had a woman biochemist named Jesse on the team, but her run on the show was short. Despite that, the Flash does not meet this goal either.

2. Highlight the breadth of STEM careers and social impacts: Felicity is a hacker, which is something that has become fairly popular in media and is often negatively depicted. However, we see her go from a hacker to eventually being a CEO in a tech company, which is a refreshing situation for a woman on television. Therefore, Arrow does meet this goal. In The Flash, it is awesome to see Caitlin as a woman engineer, who is also a doctor, so The Flash meets this goal.

3.  Debunk STEM stigmas and misconceptions: Arrow actually does debunk the stigmas and misconceptions of STEM, but when we get right down to it, they play up a lot of stereotypes. At first it was refreshing to see the “pretty blonde” character as wicked smart with a degree in computer science from MIT, instead of being portrayed as an airhead. Unfortunately, this was ruined when her backstory is shown, in which she is a stereotypical “goth girl” getting into “hactivism” because of her boyfriend. In this regard, the show does not meet this goal. In The Flash, Caitlin makes engineering seem really cool and interesting. However, the fact she is also a villain from time to time might play up to the “mad scientist” stereotype. Overall, Arrow and The Flash do meet this goal.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, tv echo said:

In Arrow, Felicity is the only person in STEM who is a woman. Everyone else in STEM is a man. The show does have many “strong female characters,” many of whom are even superheroes, but as they are not in STEM, this show does not meet this goal.

This is rather an unfair criticism simply because it's not a show about a STEM industry and there are limited characters. It's true that there are two male characters in STEM in Arrow but they weren't on the show at the same time, and it took until season 3 to get even one.

• Love 3

At first it was refreshing to see the “pretty blonde” character as wicked smart with a degree in computer science from MIT, instead of being portrayed as an airhead. Unfortunately, this was ruined when her backstory is shown, in which she is a stereotypical “goth girl” getting into “hactivism” because of her boyfriend. 

No.  That is not what was shown.  Felicity was into hactivism WITH her boyfriend and his roommate and was writing circles around them when it came to code. There was nothing to suggest that Cooper dragged her in.  Just that they had similar interests.   What Cooper did was use her work stupidly so that he was caught.  She was about exposing what those in power were up to, not be caught in a criminal activity.  But when she thought that HER choices had lead to Cooper's death, she reinvented herself.  

• Love 11

LAUREL AND SARA LANCE, ARROW

Though Laurel had the oldest reason in the book to hate her sister — Sara sneaked off with Oliver Queen for a romp on the open sea — death (or “death”) ultimately brought the Lance girls closer together, when Sara returned from her watery grave very much alive. So resilient would their bond become that when Sara “died” a second time, Laurel made it her mission to continue on the Canary legacy. Then, when Laurel herself (truly) died, Sara’s heart ached, and still does to this day.

Arrow is #17 on this list...

The 20 most popular TV shows of the summer
Kim Renfro   August 3, 2018
https://www.thisisinsider.com/most-popular-tv-shows-summer-2018-8

Summertime TV viewing has become easier with each passing year as new streaming platforms and original series become available to audiences craving some couch time. But which show is ruling the season? INSIDER worked with Parrot Analytics , which compiles available global data on social media, blogging, pirating, and other factors to figure out the viewer demand for shows.

Parrot assigned each series an "expressions" total that reflects average daily audience demand from all countries from May 27 to July 25, 2018 (adjusted for each country's population).

Keep scrolling to see the 20 most popular TV shows of the summer.
17. "Arrow" (CW)
Average Demand Expressions: 1.76 million

The sixth season of the CW's superhero series "Arrow" concluded in mid-May, but that hasn't stopped fans from chatting about the popular show online and keeping it on our list of popular TV.

20. "The Expanse" (Syfy)
19. "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" (FOX)
18. "America's Got Talent" (NBC)
17. "Arrow" (CW)
16. "SpongeBob SquarePants" (Nickelodeon)
15. "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." (ABC)
14. "The Originals" (CW)
13. "The Handmaid's Tale" (Hulu)
12. "Grey's Anatomy" (ABC)
11. "Supernatural" (CW)
10. "Riverdale" (CW)
9. "Lucifer" (FOX)
8. "The Big Bang Theory" (CBS)
7. "The Flash" (CW)
6. "The 100" (CW)
5. "Vikings" (History Channel)
4. "13 Reasons Why" (Netflix)
3. "Game of Thrones" (HBO)
2. "Westworld" (HBO)
1. "The Walking Dead" (AMC)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I could not disagree more with this writer's comments about Ricardo Diaz, Cayden James and Rory Regan...

10 New Character Additions That Hurt The Arrowverse (And 10 That Saved It)
BY TOBIAS HANDKE – ON AUG 02, 2018
https://screenrant.com/arrowverse-new-character-additions-saved/

Considering the amount of characters in the DC universe it's no surprise there's been a plethora of new heroes and villains recently introduced in the many different shows making up the Arrowverse. Unfortunately not all of them have had a positive impact.
20 HURT - SUSAN WILLIAMS
The Channel 52 reporter is a rather bland and boring character who at first butts heads with Queen while investigating him, but somehow ends up in his bed and begins a love affair that's neither hot or compelling.
While there's a modicum of truth ot Queen's reason for breaking off the romance - he informs Williams it's to keep her safe from harm as those close to him often end up getting hurt - it's more likely Oliver realized his new found partner's about as entertaining as watching paint dry.
19 SAVED - DINAH DRAKE
Actress Juliana Harkavy does an impressive job conveying Drake's wide range of emotions and really brings the character to life in the sixth season of Arrow.
13 SAVED - RICARDO DIAZ
Crime bosses are a dime a dozen in comic book adaptations but Ricardo Diaz is particularly menacing and provides a worthy adversary for the Green Arrow.

Ruthless and without morals, Diaz provides a counter balance to Arrow's complex hero and is played wonderfully by renowned character actor Kirk Acevedo.
Unlike previous baddies, who have been driven by their ego or the destruction of mankind, Diaz's main goal is power and control, making him far less of a cartoon villain.
7 SAVED - RENE RAMIREZ
A member of Team Arrow, Rene Ramirez brings some spunk to the Arrowverse thanks to actor Rick Gonzalez. As the troubled vigilante Wild Dog, Gonzalez portrays a tough-as-nails ex-Navy Seal who's not afraid to get his hands dirty.

Along with being a tough guy, Ramirez also has a soft touch. His love for his daughter is unbreakable and brilliantly represented by Gonzalez's acting. It's heartbreaking to see Ramirez struggle through a custody battle and his plight brings another emotional element to the series.

Ramirez also has to deal with the fallout of betraying Green Arrow, eventually showing his humility by asking for forgiveness and rejoining Team Arrow to help defeat Ricardo Diaz.
4 HURT - CAYDEN JAMES
Season six of Arrow is an unusual watch, combining the best and worst elements seen across the franchise. If the revelation of Ricardo Diaz being the true mastermind behind events in season six is excitingly fresh, than the initial bad guy Cayden James is a true disappointment.

James is a familiar stereotype of the genius hacker seen in many shows and movies.

Although Michael Emerson is a superb actor, the script lets him down and turns James into a generic villain who fails to standout.

When Diaz is revealed as the one who terminated James' son, it's a massive shock, but things get even better when Diaz takes out James and becomes the primary antagonist.
2 HURT - RORY REGAN
Season five of Arrow finds our intrepid hero Oliver Queen bringing in reinforcements for Team Arrow, including the vigilante known as Rory Regan. Unfortunately for poor old Regan, he's often overshadowed by his larger than life counterparts, especially the testosterone-fueled Rene Ramirez.

Because of this we never really get a great insight into his character and he becomes more like background dressing. The writers obviously felt the same, as Regan doesn't even last the entire season. He's written out of the show after losing his powers.

It's quite a shame as Regan has the potential to be an interesting member of the team.

Hopefully he will discover his powers and get another chance in the Arrowverse.

20 HURT - SUSAN WILLIAMS
19 SAVED - DINAH DRAKE

18 HURT - MON-EL
17 SAVED - AVA SHARPE
16 HURT - LILLIAN LUTHOR
15 SAVED - RALPH DIBNY
14 HURT - REIGN
13 SAVED - RICARDO DIAZ
12 HURT - NORA WEST-ALLEN
11 SAVED - MAGGIE SAWYER
10 HURT - ZARI TOMAZ
9 SAVED - LENA LUTHOR
8 HURT - MALLUS
7 SAVED - RENE RAMIREZ
6 HURT - MORGAN EDGE
5 SAVED - CLIFFORD DEVOE
4 HURT - CAYDEN JAMES
3 SAVED - IMRA ADREEN
2 HURT - RORY REGAN
1 SAVED - BRAINIAC 5

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

11 fictional bad-ass women programmers, ranked by ‘Completionist’ author Siobhan Adcock
WRITTEN BY KAREN ROUGHT | EDITED BY DONYA ABRAMO | 3:00 PM EDT, AUGUST 2, 2018
https://www.hypable.com/fictional-bad-ass-women-programmers-ranked/

The bad-ass lady computer genius is sort of the thriller’s version of the manic pixie dream girl, but with a higher salary and a more interesting plot. Like the MPDG, the bad-ass lady computer genius tends to be troubled, outspoken, or otherwise marked by obvious character quirks. She has compelling hair. She is hot, but hot in an interesting way. She can be dorky, but only while also being hot. Very often, she is in the frame in order to pound coffee or booze and type super, super fast while staring fiercely at a screen and muttering to herself (to be fair, male computer geniuses do a lot of that, too). But just as often, she is in the story to solve the mystery, crack the code, save the world — even save herself. I would call that an upgrade, even if it’s buggy.
5. Felicity Smoak, ‘Arrow’ (2012)
There are some lively parallels between Barbara Gordon and Felicity Smoak, a minor character in the Green Arrow DC comics who emerged into a main character — with major coding credentials — on the CW series Arrow and its spinoff Vixen. Smoak, like Barbara Gordon, is a tech genius who uses her expertise to help an antihero fight crime, and Smoak, like Oracle, does some of her best work while in a wheelchair — albeit temporarily. Felicity Smoak is one of those characters that you either love or hate, and some fans of the series blame Smoak’s romantic storyline for derailing the main plot, but for the purposes of this list, the character deserves credit for being a female CTO when high-ranking female engineers in general are in short supply.

11. Kate Libby, ‘Hackers’ (1995)
10. Abby Sciuto, ‘NCIS’ (2003)
9. Willow Rosenberg, ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ (1996)
8. Lex Murphy, ‘Jurassic Park’ (1993)
7. Cindy ‘Mac’ MacKenzie, ‘Veronica Mars’ (2004)
6. Barbara Gordon/Oracle/Batgirl (1990)
5. Felicity Smoak, ‘Arrow’ (2012)
4. Raven Reyes, ‘The 100’ (2014)
3. Juanita Marquez, ‘Snow Crash’ (1992)
2. Lisbeth Salander, The Millennium Series (2005)
1. Cameron Howe, ‘Halt and Catch Fire’ (2014)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Felicity Smoak is one of those characters that you either love or hate, and some fans of the series blame Smoak’s romantic storyline for derailing the main plot, 

Ugh.  So tired of commentators sneaking in a jab when they talk about Felicity.  Yes, some don't like Felicity, but guess what?  Laurel and the other screamers were and are just as divisive. 

How come on lists touting their fighting skills no one feels the need to remind the audience about the hate for them?  Or specifics like season three when Laurel went full Single White Female on Sara or the next season when she dug up her sister's corpse for a road trip and then kept her chained in the basement like some sadistic pet.  Or that BS's existence basically destroyed Quentin in season 7.  Or how Dinah and the NTA make me shut down even just seeing them on the screen? 

Somehow those details don't seem relevant in articles talking about fighting skills so why in articles talking about Felicity's skills must they derail the narrative?  Wouldn't want anyone to think you actually appreciate or value her abilities!

• Love 21

No mention of Felicity Smoak at all - I guess maybe she isn't considered an original character (even though the Arrowverse version and the New 52 version are completely different from the original Felicity Smoak)? ...

The 19 Best New DC Characters Of The Last Decade (And 1 That We Wish Never Existed)
by Colin Tessier   August 5, 2018
https://www.cbr.com/best-new-dc-characters-last-decade/

With the New 52 several years in the rear view mirror and Rebirth already over two years old, it’s an appropriate time to reflect on DC’s best new characters of the last decade. Many fans disapproved of the New 52, but the reboot did introduce several characters that have found success. Rebirth has also debuted plenty of new characters, and many of them have resonated with fans. The Arrowverse can also stake a claim to introducing fans to original characters that been successful in their own ways. From Jessica Cruz to Harrison Wells, DC has churned out several notable characters in the last ten years. There are certainly some characters that didn’t pan out, and we can point to at least one glaring misstep. So, without further adieu, let’s take a look at ten of the best new DC characters of the last decade, and one fans wished never existed.
8. JOHN DIGGLE
The overall quality of Arrow may waver throughout the seasons, but there’s at least one constant: John Diggle’s steady presence on the show has always been one of the show’s redeeming factors. Diggle, played by David Ramsey, was initially a bodyguard and limo driver for the star of the show, Oliver Queen. However, Diggle continues to prove that he’s a proficient hero in his own right.

On the show, Diggle is most known for his role as Spartan on Team Arrow. But, in recent seasons, he’s filled in for Oliver as the Green Arrow himself. It’s fair to argue that Diggle has become one of the vital members of the Arrowverse.
5. EMIKO QUEEN
What’s not to like about Emiko Queen? She has a fascinating backstory because she’s Oliver Queen’s half-sister and the daughter of Shado, a legendary assassin. Komodo, a bitter enemy of the Green Arrow, kidnapped and trained Emiko, which makes her one of the most dangerous young heroes in the DCU.

When it comes to her family, Emiko struggles to pick a side; at different points, she’s betrayed both Oliver and her mother. Regardless, as the latest Red Arrow, Emiko is much more than the stereotypical sidekick. She recently joined the newest iteration of Robin’s Teen Titans, which will allow her to truly make a name for herself.

20. WALLACE WEST
19. JESSICA CRUZ AND SIMON BAZ
18. DUKE THOMAS
17. THE COURT OF OWLS
16. LUKE FOX
15. CORUM RATH
14. GODSPEED
13. MARIONETTE AND MIME
12. GOTHAM GIRL
11. JACKSON HYDE
10. CAITLIN SNOW
9. VOLTHOOM
8. JOHN DIGGLE
7. SIDEWAYS
6. ROUNDHOUSE
5. EMIKO QUEEN
4. JONATHAN SAMUEL KENT
3. MEENA DHAWAN
2. HARRISON WELLS
1. WISH NEVER EXISTED: TELOS

Edited by tv echo

I don't think I've ever seen her in anything but she's got quite a few credentials.

4 hours ago, tv echo said:

technically, “Miss Arrowette,” as she was called in 1960s’ World’s Finest Comics No. 113

Ouch. That is so sexist.

That's basically what I though of her on Orange is the New Black, she's a beautiful woman and that was about it. Acting wise she wasn't very good and she got to use her natural accent. She's also not a very physical actress either so that's disappointing to me. They cast for hot not how she would look as a super hero. 

Arrow Season 6 Blu-ray review: What to expect and why it’s worth buying
by Cody Schultz   August 9, 2018
https://hiddenremote.com/2018/08/09/arrow-season-6-blu-ray-review/

Thanks to our friends at Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, we were lucky enough to receive an advance copy of the release in order to bring you an in-depth look at what to expect from the 4-disc set before exploring whether you should be adding it to you collection!
Disc 1

• Episode 1, “Fallout”
  • Episode 2, “Tribute”
  • Episode 3, “Next of Kin” 
  • Episode 4, “Reversal”
  • Episode 5, “Deathstroke Returns”
  • Episode 6, “Promises Kept”
  • Episode 7, “Thanksgiving”
  • The Split of a Man: Deathstroke Bonus Feature
    -Given that Season 6 welcomed the highly anticipated return of Manu Bennett as Slade Wilson aka Deathstroke, it’s only fitting that the Season 6 Blu-ray collection serves up a special feature dedicated to Oliver’s frenemy! One can never get enough Slade Wilson (or Manu Bennett for that matter) and this bonus feature is sure to delight fans looking for more of Slade’s redemption arc!

Disc 2

• Episode 8, “Crisis on Earth-X, Part 2”
  • “Crisis on Earth-X, Part 1” i.e. Supergirl‘s crossover hour
  • “Crisis on Earth-X, Part 3” i.e. The Flash‘s crossover hour
  • “Crisis on Earth-X, Part 4” i.e. Legend of Tomorrow‘s crossover hour
  • Episode 9, “Irreconcilable Differences”
  • Episode 10, “Divided”
  • Inside the Crossover: Crisis on Earth-X Bonus Feature
    -Always one of the most-talked about events of the season, the Crisis on Earth-X proved to be one of the Arrowverse’s strongest yet – although we were in no way prepared for the crossover’s many shocking twists! So it’s only fitting that the Arrow Season 6 Blu-ray collection bring together the creative teams from all four Arrowverse series to shine a light on immense amount of work which went into creating the crossover event.

Disc 3

• Episode 11, “We Fall”
  • Episode 12, “All for Nothing”
  • Episode 13, “The Devil’s Greatest Trick”
  • Episode 14, “Collision Course”
  • Episode 15, “Doppelgänger”
  • Episode 16, “The Thanatos Guild”
  • Episode 17, “Brothers in Arms”
  • Revenge in Ones and Zeroes: The Story of Cayden James Bonus Feature
    -Although I’ll admit that Cayden James fell flat as a villain for me personally, he served a solid purpose in the season and it only makes sense for the character to take center stage in a character-driven bonus feature.

Disc 4

• Episode 18, “Fundamentals”
  • Episode 19, “The Dragon”
  • Episode 20, “Shifting Allegiances” 
  • Episode 21, “Docket No. 11-19-41-73”
  • Episode 22, “The Ties That Bind“
  • Episode 23, “Life Sentence”
  • The Best of DC TV’s Comic-Con Panels Bonus Feature
    -What’s better than the chance to relieve Arrow‘s 2017 San Diego Comic-Con panel? The chance to re-watch the best moments from all of the DC TV panels, of course! Fans are sure to love getting the chance to watch this best-of highlight feature blending together the top moments from each DC TV panel.

Through this collection, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has managed to deliver fans a spectacular 4-disc set which beautifully celebrates the sixth season of Arrow and the entire Arrowverse. This is of course achieved by the inclusion of all four hours of this year’s crossover, a special feature dedicated to offering a behind the scenes look at the Crisis on Earth-X event and a montage of DC TV’s 2017 San Diego Comic-Con panels.
Make sure to pick up your copy of Arrow: The Complete Sixth Season beginning Tuesday, August 14 where Blu-rays and DVDs are sold! 

Edited by tv echo