Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, tv echo said:

ndeed, we are our traumas, and those traumas dictate how we respond to a particular stimuli. My traumas are telling me that Diggle from Arrow is a better fighter than Oliver Queen, and they wonder aloud why, despite having more training and more muscle than Queen, that he is written to take the backseat role.

Certainly more muscle and even power, but training?  In certain areas sure but fighting skills?  Oliver had I thought a lot more hand to hand to hand and of course bow and arrow training. (And Waller tossed in torture, interrogation, and assassin for fun too) Plus League of Assassins seems to tower over any training the army can teach at least in Arrow's world.  

• Love 2

"What did you think of the Olicity wedding?"

Comment 1: Kind of rude for Felicity to steal WestAllen's moment

Comment 2: Completely illogical and why did Felicity have to steal the moment

BkWurm1: Ok, let me tell you why you're completely wrong.

• Love 15

Ugh and then Craig somehow drags it back to being about Felicity leaving in season four and blaming the ratings on the drama.  What's worse, I take some blame in that paragraph because I saw his original answer to the question and it didn't include that at all.  My answer was sooooo long I think he felt the need to expand his

Edited by BkWurm1

I get the impression that the others are just going through the motions of watching it.  Matt Tucker that used to do reviews hasn't done one since 6-3.  Last year, Stephanie hadn't been watching and had to catch up. 

Sometimes I wonder if GreenArrow.tv is ripe for an Olicity take over.    

• Love 10
28 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I get the impression that the others are just going through the motions of watching it.  Matt Tucker that used to do reviews hasn't done one since 6-3.  Last year, Stephanie hadn't been watching and had to catch up. 

Just say the word! ;)

No one has posted in the forums in nearly a month.  

I also suspect that if someone offered to recap the episodes, Craig probably would consider posting them or really any articles people want to contribute, as long as they are well written and fair.  

Enjoyed reading the different POVs, as usual.  Always enjoyable to read your responses, @BkWurm1 :)

One question; about Dinah's gloves.  I too thought they were full opera-length gloves when we got the first pics, but since then, looking at the episode pics, I've gotten the impression that they're actually short gloves paired with separate arm guards of some sort.  Is that not the case?  In some of the pics I've looked at, it looks like they're not connected at the wrist, which made me think the arm guards are separate pieces.

Edited by Starfish35
10 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Enjoyed reading the different POVs, as usual.  Always enjoyable to read your responses, @BkWurm1 :)

One question; about Dinah's gloves.  I too thought they were full opera-length gloves when we got the first pics, but since then, looking at the episode pics, I've gotten the impression that they're actually short gloves paired with separate arm guards of some sort.  Is that not the case?  In some of the pics I've looked at, it looks like they're not connected at the wrist, which made me think the arm guards are separate pieces.

The arm gloves went through two different versions:
The original version: 
canario-negro-6-temporada-2.jpg

vs. the 2.0 version seen in the show: the 2nd version they are just sleeves with arm guards covering the bottom and separate gloves.
dinah-drake-arrow-black-canary.jpg

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I've never noticed that but you could very well be right.  

Edited:  How did I never notice that??  I like the arm guards much better.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

The arm gloves went through two different versions:
The original version: 
canario-negro-6-temporada-2.jpg

vs. the 2.0 version seen in the show: the 2nd version they are just sleeves with arm guards covering the bottom and separate gloves.
dinah-drake-arrow-black-canary.jpg

Ah, ok.  Yes, the second pic is what I was thinking of.  That's a separate sleeve piece under the arm guard? I figured the arm guard was all one piece but maybe not.

Edited by Starfish35

All I could think when reading that was once again an eff off Craig. Like don't act like you speak for the entire Arrow viewership. But the first thing that made me roll my eyes was Stephanie saying how nice it was to see Felicity being so supportive of her "friends son". It's okay to say husband- it won't kill you. I'm glad Craig's site seems to be losing momentum couldn't happen to a nicer person.

But excellent responses @BkWurm1 ?

• Love 6
6 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Lead the way and I'll follow!!!!!!

• Love 1
On 8. 1. 2018 at 10:44 AM, paulvdb said:

With the second half of Arrow starting up this month, what can fans look forward to seeing with regard to your character, Felicity Smoak, over these next few months?

In Arrow, they can look forward to sort of more relationship-building with her husband, who is the Green Arrow, and seeing where they can build that within sort of a broken alliance. Right now, they used to have a circle and I think right now they have half of it as the sort of (inaudible) has been on the other side. To relay it back, everyone has problems and these characters do as well. It’s just a different set of problems to distinctively work through it with (inaudible) purpose.

When you first signed on for Arrow, did you ever consider that you would have such a large following as you do right now?
When I first signed to the series, I thought it was only supposed to be a day role. I don’t think I could have imagined it. I’m from a small town in Canada and obviously watching people sort of like other — we’re Canada. We’re not totally removed from the rest of the world but there wasn’t a sense of -when I was growing up, at least– film and TV presence as there is now. When I signed on, I think that delayed the foundation of what I could actually picture and what my future looked like. No, I don’t think that I could have even imagined this following that I’m so grateful for and it’s a supportive following, too. People are dedicated in the story and the show and to the writers and my friends who work with me, the other actors. It’s really quite fun.

https://culturedvultures.com/slamdance-2018-emily-bett-rickards-talks-funny-story-arrow/

EBR talked about her new upcoming movie premiering at the Slamdance Festival in Utah this weekend and whats upcoming on Arrow. 

• Love 3

TV Guide mocked the Noobs

Curtis (Echo Kellum) and the newbies were feeling betrayed and underappreciated — even though one of them, like, totally betrayed Oliver (Stephen Amell) first — and Oliver, Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) and Diggle (David Ramsey) weren't sure whether they could bring the team back together with all the hurt feelings involved.

Even with the help of some misleading Arrow Cave footage though, Oliver couldn't handle all of those villains on his own. With Diggle on the bench and everyone else throwing temper tantrums, Team Arrow was seriously understaffed.

Oliver threw himself at the team's mercy, but Curtis, Rene (Rick Gonzalez) and Dinah (Juliana Harkavay) just couldn't find it in their hearts to forgive him or rejoin the team. So they formed a team of their own!

Set up in the old Helix bunker, Curtis, Dinah and Rene plan to take on Cayden James and protect the city themselves. We'll pretend that this isn't going to end in tears and try to be happy for them. Good luck to you, Team Totally Not Arrow — We Hate That Guy!

It's definitely sad to see the team so fractured, but it does leave an opportunity for Arrow to give fans something they haven't seen since Season 2: Original Team Arrow.

Original Team Arrow (or OTA as they're more fondly referred to) is exactly what it sounds like. The original team of Oliver, Felicity and Diggle from early seasons of the show back when they were fighting crime all on their own. Thanks to Curtis' tech, Diggle can safely go back into the field with no tremor, which means Oliver will have at least a little bit of backup.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 19
9 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Lead the way and I'll follow!!!!!!

14 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Just say the word! ;)

Well, a simple thing would be to do the episode poll (rank it 10-1) on the "What did you think of the episode page?"  So far I'm the only one that rated let alone reviewed it, lol.  IGN did their review and gave it a 4.1 on their site and it makes Reddit happy so I guess not hating the episode would be a take over in itself, lol.  Here's the page link:http://www.ksitetv.com/forums/showthread.php?177488-Loved-It-Hated-It-What-did-you-think-of-quot-Divided-quot&p=8181738&posted=1#post8181738

• Love 1

I love this review of 610...

Arrow Season 6 Episode 10 Review: “Divided” 
Chris King  January 18, 2018
http://www.tvovermind.com/the-cw/arrow/arrow-season-6-episode-10-review-divided

Tonight’s mid-season premiere is an incredibly frustrating episode of Arrow for many reasons, but the main one is pretty simple: plot drives the story in this episode instead of character, and Oliver, Curtis, Dinah, and Rene act wildly out of character for most of the hour, regressing back to old mistakes or not acting on thoughts and feelings they had previously stated earlier on this season. Let’s take a quick look at Dinah to start. First of all, the complaints she lodges against OTA about trust and transparency already have thin ground to stand on because of her lying about Vincent to them; however, even taking that out of the equation, her choice to ignore Felicity and Diggle’s claims that Vincent is working with Cayden James and insinuate that Oliver might be a liar completely contradicts her words and actions from the end of Season 5 and the first half of Season 6. Dinah has clearly expressed, on several occasions, how thankful she is for the team and how especially thankful she is that Oliver found her and gave her a chance to be a hero again—he helped her forge a new life. So why would she disregard a personal warning from him so flippantly? Why would she insinuate that Oliver was lying and trying to cause her harm when all he’s ever done is try to help her grow into someone stronger, better, and more fulfilled? Sure, Dinah goes and confronts Vincent on her own after her conversation with Felicity and Diggle (thankfully, the Arrow writers decided to not completely ruin her character and at least show that she’s still a smart, competent cop that would follow up any lead), but her words earlier rang so false that I had a difficult time getting invested in anything else she did throughout “Divided.”

And then there’s the self-righteous attitudes of Rene and Curtis, both of whom (as I said on Twitter earlier) I’ve never wanted to punch more than during the “clean slate” scene in tonight’s episode. While I didn’t necessarily agree with Rene’s actions in the mid-season finale, I understood his reasons—he did it for his daughter, he did it for family. However, near the beginning of “Divided,” we see that Rene stills feels guilt over his decision. It was for the best for him and Zoe, but he asks Curtis if there’s anyway that he can help him delete the digital evidence that Watson has against him so that he can recant his statement. In the opening moments of tonight’s episode, Rene is looking for any way possible to make things right with Oliver, but by the end of the hour, he’s angry and defensive, upset with OTA for their trust issues with him because everything he did was “for my daughter.” But what Rene never takes a moment to consider is that his actions could take Oliver away from his family, from William, who, like Zoe, has already lost a parent. During the “clean slate” scene, Oliver recognizes Rene’s role as a father and comes to an understanding with his friend; he gets why he betrayed him, and he extends an olive branch, a way to start over, which is what Rene wanted to do at the start of tonight’s episode. Yet now, for some unknown reason (and please don’t try to argue that it’s because Oliver, Felicity, and Diggle took 24 hours to tell them about the bug in the bunker), Rene has changed his mind—now he doesn’t see a way back to the way things used to be, and he’s excited to create a new team with Dinah and Curtis.

Speaking of Curtis, he’s the worst offender of arrogant, self-righteous, and obnoxious behavior in “Divided,” particularly during the previously mentioned “clean slate” scene, in which he rejects what is essentially an apology from OTA (an apology they did not have to give, by the way), stating that Cayden James didn’t create an environment of distrust—Oliver, Felicity, and Diggle did. Typically, I really enjoy Curtis as a character; I find him funny and entertaining, and I love his friendship with Felicity. Because of those feelings, I can’t stop myself from being saddened and angered by the petulant child he is throughout “Divided.” Gone is Mr. Terrific, replaced with a whiny brat, who has apparently forgotten all about the faith that Oliver has shown in him by bringing him on the team even against his better judgment and the friendship he and Felicity solidified earlier this season after hashing out their issues. But I guess being spied on for a period of a couple days is too much for Curtis to forgive, even though OTA is forgiving a hell of a lot more during that “clean slate” scene and even though Curtis himself spied on Felicity back in Season 5 when she was working with Helix.
There’s still fun moments to be had in “Divided.” The interaction between Oliver, Diggle, and Felicity, working together as the original team again like they did in the old days, is consistently wonderful throughout the hour (especially the sass Felicity gives Oliver when he requests information for her without even saying “hello”). ...

Overall, though, tonight’s mid-season premiere is a frustrating and exhausting hour of Arrow, one that illustrates the series’ over-reliance on manufactured drama and its unfortunate tendency to prioritize plot over character. There can be amazing action (like that one-take with Oliver going up against James’ and Bertinelli’s men), tremendous tension, and thrilling visuals, but none of it matters if we don’t care about the characters and their emotional journeys. Conflict between main characters is necessary for any show to survive, but it has to be earned. Right now, Arrow‘s trying to take dramatic shortcuts, and the show’s not finding its way to a satisfying story destination—it’s getting lost.
“I’m not trying to point fingers, Dinah. I’m trying to point out there is blame on all sides here.” And after Oliver said this, my friends, is when all should have been forgiven, and the band should have gotten back together. Oliver Queen, the new, more mature, and, simply put, best version of him, was able to see all sides of everyone’s argument and calmly talk it out. Everything he says makes complete sense during that scene, and it’s a shame that the writers had to turn the Newbies into cocky, selfish, and ignorant individuals just for the sake of drama.
“I remember the last time you got in bed with one of the Bertinellis. It did not end well.” Married Felicity Smoak might be the funniest and sassiest Felicity we’ve seen yet, and I love it.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 9

A.V. Club reviewer gave 610 a grade of B+ ...

Arrow and its heroes shake it all off in a solid episode
Allison Shoemaker   January 18, 2018
https://www.avclub.com/arrow-and-its-heroes-shake-it-all-off-in-a-solid-episod-1822219727

Arrow’s back, and I’m very relieved to say that it’s in fine form. When the first half of the season wrapped up in December, my big concern was that the “cliffhanger” — Dinah, Curtis, and Rene all leaving Team Arrow — was going to be rescinded almost immediately, just another fake-out in a show with a history of that shit. It’s still unlikely to stick permanently, but for now, it’s prepared to live in the tension, and that can only be good news. Rather than rushing to the likely narrative end, credited writers Ben Sokolowski and Emilio Ortega Aldrich allow Dinah, Rene, and Curtis to stick to their guns (and T-spheres). It’s almost like actions have consequences, and sometimes those consequences stick.
Better still, Sokolowski and Aldrich lace “Divided” with a lively energy that’s been in short supply this season. The stakes remain high, the risks even higher than usual — just ask the Bertinelli family — but everything’s just a little brighter, a little more spirited. Take the quote that opens this review. That’s a high-stakes scene. Oliver is in danger, as is his ally, who yes, runs a dangerous crime syndicate, but also seems to be not so bad, really, and says he never wanted to be in the “family business” in the first place. The aims of Cayden James and his Legion of That Guys are evil, no bones about it, and Michael Emerson’s performance is genuinely chilling. But that line? Fun!
It’s fitting that the primary antagonist this season spends so much time hacking not just computers, but nearly everyone around him. Relationships, emotions, power dynamics, attachment, ego: they’re all there to be toyed with, decoded, and wielded to advantage. Yet what’s going on with these characters exists beyond the simply binary of good or evil, trustworthy or otherwise, friend or for. In throwing Vincent’s desires and intentions into question, it puts him in the same corner as Not Laurel: Torn between their darkest impulses and old affections and loyalties, playing at one while denying the other. Johann Urb’s performance hasn’t revealed much yet (though in fairness, this is really the first time he’s had much to do), but Juliana Harkavy’s work in their scenes together made things pretty plain, and for a deeply sad reason.
Did I miss something? Does Not Laurel wear wigs now? I’m not against it, I love wigs, just wondering if maybe I’ve forgotten something.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

EW reviewer gave 610 a grade of B ...

Arrow recap: 'Divided'
CHANCELLOR AGARD JANUARY 18, 2018
http://ew.com/recap/arrow-season-6-episode-10/

At this point, Diggle still can’t go out into the field, but that doesn’t mean he can’t help Oliver set up some explosives in Bertinelli’s warehouse. As they plant the charges, Diggle suggests Oliver ask Curtis, Rene, and Dinah to come back, but Oliver refuses because he still can’t trust them and believes that he, Diggle, and Felicity can handle this all on their own. In past seasons, I would’ve found stubborn Oliver rather frustrating, but it’s very easy to understand where he’s coming from in this moment. This isn’t season 3. Oliver doesn’t just have to think about himself now. He also has to worry about William, whom he is still lying to because Oliver hasn’t changed that much. He needs to be able to trust that the people he goes out into the field with won’t put that relationship in even more jeopardy, and that’s not the case at the moment.
Oliver’s close encounter with Cayden’s Injustice Gang convinces him that he can’t take them on alone, so he calls another meeting with Dinah, Rene, and Curtis. He apologizes for breaking their trust and asks them to come back. But that’s the last things the new kids on the block want because they hate that they aren’t treated with the same respect as the Felicity and Diggle. This is yet another sign of Arrow‘s growth. In past seasons, the show would’ve copped out and made sure Oliver was in the right, but it doesn’t do that here. Curtis et al.’s concerns are taken seriously. In fact, Oliver wishes them luck with their new endeavor. Before they head to their new lair, however, Curtis hands Diggle a new version of the implant that actually works this time! At least we know Oliver won’t be out there by himself now.

Edited by tv echo

'Arrow’ Recap: “Divided” – Uncivil War
BY DAVE TRUMBORE      JANUARY 18, 2018
http://collider.com/arrow-season-6-episode-10-recap/

Now, in any other season of Arrow, the fractured team could easily have gotten together for tough words and stiff drinks after a bad break-up, only to heal their wounds and get back together by the next week’s episode. Thankfully, that’s not what happens here. The divide is deep: Rene still stands by his decision to put his family first (a position which Curtis and Oliver understand, even if they don’t like it), Curtis still can’t trust the three former team leaders after their own betrayal, and Dinah is working out some major issues with her cohorts and the fact that her former boyfriend, once thought dead but now revived as a meta with healing abilities who masquerades as the Vigilante, is in league with James. (Cayden James has some issues with the Vince/Dinah relationship as well…) That’s a lot of drama to just squash and move on. Instead, Mr. Terrific, Wild Dog, and Black Canary are forming their own team, and they’re already all set up in the old Helix lair!

So at the end of the episode, we’re left with two teams: One is the OG Team Arrow, which should be a nice throwback for fans who have been with the show from the beginning. Even better, Diggle is back in fighting shape after Curtis’ patch fixed whatever was wrong with the implant. (Is it time for Spartan 2.0?) The other is an unnamed team of young guns who have their own meta, their own brain, and their own wild card; they’re certainly going to be interesting to watch, and this second squad gives the writers a little room to breathe when it comes to deciding who’s going to be shouldering the narrative.
And in a bit of a throwaway plot that wasn’t really wrapped up, so hopefully we’ll get more on it later (?), was the very casual decision by Rene and Curtis to hack into the District Attorney’s files in order to scrub away any digital evidence they had against Rene … because the way to show people that you’ve moved beyond criminal activity is to engage in more criminal activity. The fact that Curtis not only agreed to do this but was eager to do so was a little silly. But hey, it’s Star City.

Overall, a strong return for Arrow that focuses the stakes in a much more personal, in-your-face way than a big bad comic book villain tends to do. Add in the mystery factor of James’ ultimate plan, and Season 6 remains a compelling weekly watch.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Here's a weird interpretation of Oliver's actions towards the newbies in 610 that I really don't understand or agree with...

Arrow Season 6 Episode 10 Review: Divided
Delia Harrington   Jan 19, 2018
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/arrow/270358/arrow-season-6-episode-10-review-divided

Fundamentally, the A Team approaches this as an issue where at best, both sides have done wrong and they should wipe the slate clean and start over – not because it’s the right thing to do or they feel remorse, but because it is tactically necessary to defeat their foe, which is like a quarter of Ollie’s Rogues Gallery. But Oliver’s insistence on listing off the B Squad’s trespasses at his peace summit, framing of their departure as his decision, and belief that he is the one in a position to forgive or not, undercuts his argument and betrays his true feelings.

Felicity’s outburst, in which she framed the B Squad as children who are mad at “daddy” for reading their diary, is bizarre in the extreme, and communicates a similar message. Regardless of what they said about wrongs on all sides, Oliver and Felicity (Diggle seems more reasonable) still believe that they are in the right, the others are in the wrong, and that the B Squad should be lucky to be forgiven.

That’s incredibly egocentric, and right on target for Oliver. It’s only a recent development for Felicity, and one that I dislike for her character not just because I’m a fan, but also because I don’t understand it. In the past she has been one of the only people who can tell Ollie no when he really needs to hear it, and usually the only person who can make him listen to reason. The other is John. This of course begs the question: if Felicity and Diggle felt like it, could they get Oliver to come around? Probably, and they almost did at the end of this episode. But Oliver is Oliver, and no amount of Season 6 emotional maturity is enough to make this guy actually admit real wrongdoing.

While it makes me mad at Oliver when I watch it, it’s still a pretty gutsy thing for a show to do. Like many tv shows, superhero and otherwise, Arrow has asked us to give Oliver a million miles of leeway, forgive him of all his flaws, and always take his side, even when he’s in the wrong. But finally, in the sixth season, the writers are acknowledging that the world of their show is fundamentally unfair, and that’s exemplified most clearly within Team Arrow. We’ve been asked to ignore his moral shortcomings until he sees fit to remedy them, prioritize his needs and loved ones over all else, and to hate his enemies, even if they’re coming for vengeance for the things Oliver has done.

... By letting the B Squad walk and choose to not forgive the A Team, Arrow is saying that they have a point, and that Oliver deserves to live with it.

Edited by tv echo

‘Arrow’ 6×10 Review: A Love Letter to Original Team Arrow
January 19, 2018  by ALYSSA BARBIERI
http://fangirlish.com/arrow-6x10-review-love-letter-original-team-arrow/

Dear Arrow,

I remember the exact moment I fell in love with you. Not when I decided to keep going after a sluggish couple of episodes — episode 3 kept me going — but the moment where I realized that this was my show. The kind of dedication that led me to writing these reviews and countless editorials. The kind of dedication that made me feel a personal connection to this show, which is honestly the most important thing a form of art can do.

Season 1, Episode 15, “Dodger.”

It was the first time that we saw Oliver Queen, John Diggle, and Felicity Smoak working together as a team — no secret identities, no laughable excuses, just an open book. Team Arrow was still in the crib, but there was an instantaneous chemistry and sense of comfort that seemed to fly off the screen. It felt like you were watching something special. Team Arrow was going after the Dodger, a weirdo thief that liked to hitch bomb collars to people and let it go “boom.” And yet, I’ll always remember the guy. In a way, I’ll kind of be thankful to him. Not that he did anything but be the first villain that OTA took on as a unit.

That episode solidified Team Arrow as a unit. Everyone had their role, they did it well, and they gelled perfectly as a team; a family. What would follow through the rest of season 1 and in season 2 — where Arrow was at its absolute best — was the stuff of magic. Team Arrow was a well-oiled machine with a rapport that was infectious. And the beautiful thing was that we got to see their relationships — as a unit or individually — progress on a weekly basis. It’s the exact definition of the writing tip “show, don’t tell.”
OTA has always been, and will always be, the heart of your show. It’s a dynamic that makes Arrow so much more than just a superhero show. In a world of copycats and over saturation, having a rich dynamic like that sets you apart from the others. I could give a rip about action and stunt sequences if it meant I didn’t get the relationships I get with OTA. Why should I care if I don’t care at all? Oh, that superhero guy got an arrow through the heart? Poor guy. I hope someone sends him flowers. And also remembers to remove the arrow from his chest. That could be a traumatic and awkward open-casket service.
I don’t care about the Newbies. I’m not going to pretend to. It’s one of the hazards that a seasoned series like yourself, which is in its sixth season, faces when contending with what its audience has known and loved for years. OTA is the gold standard. Sure, we’ve seen several versions of Team Arrow, but we all know where it started. With the three of them.

You’d think you would want to make the Newbies likeable — especially Rene, whom I’ve despised since his introduction. But instead, you’re putting them in a position where they come off as entitled and almighty. I didn’t think it was possible to dislike the Newbies more than I already did. Clearly, I was wrong.
You guys struck literal magic with Original Team Arrow. And you know it. You can’t fake that chemistry, that ease, and that evolution that has laid the trusting foundation that has defined OTA over the years.

This show has proven that it’s at its best when Original Team Arrow is at the center of the show. No matter where time takes this show, don’t forget what got you there. Don’t forget that it started with the three of them.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

"Underground" was likely a reference to Jessica DeGouw's role in Underground (her now cancelled TV series on WGN America)...

DC TV Watch: All Those Midseason Premiere Developments Explained
JANUARY 19, 2018 8:00am PT by Sydney Bucksbaum
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dc-tv-watch-supergirl-flash-arrow-black-lightning-midseason-premieres-1075785

Arrow

Secret's out | Twenty-one days after Cayden James (Michael Emerson) revealed his villain cabal to viewers, he also revealed that secret alliance to Oliver (Stephen Amell) the first time they came face-to-face in the midseason premiere. Why didn't he keep that secret longer? Cayden may be 10 steps ahead of Team Arrow, but showing his cards so soon seemed a little too egotistical. Just think of all the things he could have accomplished had Oliver not had his eyes opened so soon.

A team divided | Maybe Cayden doesn't need to worry about Oliver gaining any kind of upper hand, since Team Arrow has never been more fractured than they are now. After Oliver swallowed his pride and apologized to Dinah (Juliana Harkavy), Curtis (Echo Kellum) and Rene (Rick Gonzalez) for how things ended in the midseason finale with them leaving the team, the three newbies still didn't bury the hatchet. They rebuffed Oliver's olive branch and decided to form their own team to take on Cayden and his cabal ... knowing fully that Oliver, Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) and Diggle (David Ramsey) were working on the same mission. How they think that's a good idea is completely baffling since they have the least amount of experience and resources. 

Good as new | It took a few attempts, but Diggle has the full use of his hands and arms thanks to Felicity and Curtis finally fine-tuning their bio-implant. Oliver's OTA team now has two fully functioning field operatives instead of just the one. While Oliver definitely needs the assistance out in the field, a extended exploring Diggle having to get used to life as a bystander would have been fascinating to see play out. Given the show's track record with exploring physical injuries with the team (i.e. Felicity being confined to a wheelchair with no permanent or lingering effects after only a few episodes), that isn't surprising. But it's definitely a big missed opportunity.

Guess who's (probably) back? | After all the times that Arrow name-dropped season one anti-hero The Huntress (Jessica De Gouw) in this week's episode, it's probably time to start prepping for her return. Her cousin told Oliver that "she's underground," meaning she's probably still running around in the shadows taking down dudes who wronged her. What does that mean for Cayden James, who had her only remaining free family member killed in cold blood? Is revenge for his death what brings her back to Star City? And what does that mean for her and Oliver? Will the exes again be on the same side for an enemy-of-my-enemy-is-my-friend alliance? Talk about a throwback.

Edited by tv echo

This IGN reviewer liked Bamford's shaky cam (go figure) - also, it's Anatoly, not Nikolai...

ARROW: "DIVIDED" REVIEW
JESSE SCHEEDEN    18 JAN 2018
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/01/19/arrow-divided-review

The biggest miscalculation the writers made with the midseason finale was in assuming that the reveal of Cayden James’ alliance of evil would have significant dramatic impact. It didn’t. The series did nothing to build to that moment or set the stage for this alliance. I’m still not even sure why characters like Vigilante and Nikolai are working with James in the first place. It really feels as though the writers just gathered together every random villain and antagonist currently available and threw them in a room together.
Ricardo “The Dragon” Diaz is easily the biggest sticking point in that regard. The Richard Dragon character is a particular favorite of mine in DC’s comics. Arrow already made one questionable move by basing their version on the far less memorable New 52 incarnation. Even so, the idea of the Green Arrow going up against a kung-fu crime lord has its definite appeal. But to date, this season has done almost nothing with Diaz. I’d be surprised if Kirk Acevedo’s total screen time this season amounted to more than ten minutes. This episode did nothing to break that trend. At some point, you have to question why the character is being used at all if he’s just going to be treated as a generic thug.

The one ray of light when it comes to the villains is that we finally seem to be getting somewhere with Vigilante. The underwhelming reveal of the character’s identity remains one of the more frustrating elements in a generally frustrating season, but at least this episode made strong use of the dynamic between Vincent and Dinah. There was a wistful sense of two estranged lovers trying to recapture some shred of what they once shared before it was all torn away. The outcome of the final action scene also strongly suggests that Vigilante is actually working against James and the rest, so maybe we’ll see him join Team Arrow yet. It would be ironic if this character was the one to finally move this conflict in a better direction.

That final battle also delivered some much-needed visceral thrills. While we didn’t get a one-on-one fight between Green Arrow and the Dragon (hopefully that’s coming one of these weeks), but the well-choreographed fight scenes made it obvious that James Bamford was back in the director’s chair. That’s one area where the series has yet to lose its touch. The long takes and shaky-cam quality gave Ollie’s doomed attack a very brutal, personal feel.

The other major bit of fallout from “Irreconcilable Differences” involved the fact that Team Arrow splintered into pieces even as James’ group came together. Here again, the show isn’t doing nearly as good a job of making us feel invested in that struggle as it should. I don’t feel any burning desire to see Team Arrow made whole again. If anything, it’s kind of nice going back to that old-school lineup of just Ollie, Felicity and Diggle. Obviously, Ollie’s takeaway this week is that he needs the numbers to combat James’ team, but a big part of me would like to see Arrow shift away from the ensemble approach it’s taken in recent seasons.

Edited by tv echo
2 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

From today's TV Questions | TVLine

20 | Are any Arrow viewers sympathetic to Curtis, Rene and Dinah’s point of view? (We’re genuinely curious!)

Currently, there are 26 comments.  15 are an answer to this question.  Only one was team newbie.  For reference, here that is:

20. I’m completely sympathetic towards the newer three. Frankly, I think the original three are acting like self-important jackasses and I’m down for the newer three poking some holes in that layer of pomposity Oliver and the others are lording around.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

Arrow, ‘Divided’: Breaking up Is Not That Hard to Do
BY CRAIG WACK · JANUARY 19, 2018
http://oohlo.com/2018/01/19/arrow-divided-breaking-up-is-not-that-hard-to-do/

Sex and the Olicity: Ollie and Felicity were too busy this episode for tie straightening or makeouts. However, they are in a stressful moment in their lives and their relationship is still solid, which is worth noting.
What about the action:  With Ollie mostly on his own this hour, the action sequences were pretty short, with Oliver using his grappling arrow to bug out whenever too many henchmen show up. At the end of the day, Ollie’s brief alliance with the mobster falls apart, and James gets what he wants. The defeat doesn’t sit well with Oliver and he realizes he needs help. He gathers the various Team Arrow factions together to clear the air and reunite for the common good. The thing is, Rene, Curtis and Dinah are still pretty sore over the whole surveillance thing, and announce their intentions to go into business for themselves. Oliver takes the news like a parent of a six-year-old threatening to run away from home, and wishes them the best of luck against the insurmountable odds James and his posse represent.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Currently, there are 26 comments.  15 are an answer to this question.  Only one was team newbie.  For reference, here that is:

20. I’m completely sympathetic towards the newer three. Frankly, I think the original three are acting like self-important jackasses and I’m down for the newer three poking some holes in that layer of pomposity Oliver and the others are lording around.

Maybe Oliver and the others are "pompous" because they've been working as a team and protecting the city for 5 years longer than the newbies have and they know what they're talking about? Geez.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

Oliver takes the news like a parent of a six-year-old threatening to run away from home, and wishes them the best of luck against the insurmountable odds James and his posse represent.

I love this line.

• Love 18
7 hours ago, lemotomato said:

Maybe Oliver and the others are "pompous" because they've been working as a team and protecting the city for 5 years longer than the newbies have and they know what they're talking about? Geez.

And the five weeks since the split. Let's not forget that. Rene actually shouldn't be out there, but none of them showed any sign of thinking about the current threat hovering over the city at all!

• Love 4

Meet Juliana Harkavy, the Fittest, Most Badass Superhero on TV
BY VINNIE MANCUSO  JANUARY 19, 2018
https://www.menshealth.com/guy-wisdom/juliana-harkavy-dinah-drake-arrow

Arrow arguably has the most shredded cast on TV, and its biggest badass of all might be superhero and fitness fanatic Juliana Harkavy. For two seasons, the 33-year-old actress has been ass-kicking her way through the CW’s Arrow series as Dinah Drake, better known to DC fans under her leather-clad vigilante name, Black Canary.
After Arrow’s mid-season 6 return last night, Men’s Health chatted with Harkavy about superhero fitness, working out with the cast, and how guys can grow in 2018.
From the beginning Arrow has always had one of the fittest casts on TV. Has that ever come close to becoming a competition?
That’s funny, but It’s not a competition! It is fun. We work out together. It’s less of a competition, it’s more of a way for us to bond. Everyone can stay healthy together.
As you get deeper into this role, have you been able to get more hands on when it comes to the fight coordination and the stunts?
That’s been one my favorite parts of the show. This year in particular I’ve really tried to work more closely with my stunt double, whose name is Ivett [Gonda]. She’s amazing. She’s an Olympian in Taekwondo. This year I had an open dialogue with her about Dinah’s journey, not only emotionally but physically as well. I’ve been training how to kick properly. Just really basic things. A lot of boxing. The Bō staff, obviously. It’s just been great to learn how to tell her story physically, as a fighter. And grow as a fighter and an athlete, not just a character.
We’ve been asking people a lot, in the light of the #MeToo movement, how men can be better in 2018. I’d love to get your thoughts, as someone who kicks ass on-screen and off.
One thing that I draw from all these different experiences, and my own experiences, is that men just need to listen. If men listened to women when they say no, when they say how they feel, that that’s not something that can be pushed around or pushed over. I think that if we just start something as basic as men truly listening to women, which is one thing that I feel, that our voices are just not heard in the same way as men’s voices are. If they could just show us that respect, I think that would be a really great starting point.

Edited by tv echo

Arrow: Some Dweeb with Glasses
By Matt Ross   Thursday, January 18th, 2018
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/01/18/arrow-some-dweeb-with-glasses

First things first: Quentin, give it up the daughter stuff, man. Enough already. Thea, or someone, needs to just dish out some tough love and snap this dude out of it.
Perhaps we should talk about the main point of tonight’s episode, though. That being the creation of what I’m calling “Team Teenage Angst”—the angsty, knee-jerk response by three people who feel they’ve somehow been wronged by their boss.

Last column, I talked about Ollie’s flaw as a leader to recognize that the sensitive nature of his operation has considerable consequences to the team members involved and that he should see it from their level. The problem I have with Dinah, Curtis and Rene is that there’s just no pleasing them. They’re mad that Ollie kept tabs on them and how he conducted himself at times. The irony is that they were doing the exact same thing to people of Star City, government entities, etc., etc. But, when Ollie (who is their boss, mind you) wants to make sure they’re not compromising the whole operation, they get all up-in-arms and like that kid in your neighborhood, take their ball and go home.
I mentioned there’s no pleasing them. A perfect example of this was tonight when Ollie, John and Felicity reached out to them (twice!) to try and bury the hatchet and move on. Instead, they chose to focus on the fact that it took Ollie 24 hours to inform them that they had learned Cayden had planted a camera and was spying on the team. They were still upset even after Ollie explained that that the reason they waited to tell them was because they wanted to be certain they had all the facts and info straight and had the kinks worked out before telling them. That seems reasonable, right? Why risk opening up a can of worms when you don’t have all the facts straight yet.
Let’s face it; it’s very rare that the grass is actually greener on the other side. I think Rene, Dinah and Curtis will find out real quick that it’s hard to operate without a leader, which is something you need whether you like it or not. Yes, I question Ollie’s leadership qualities in certain situations, but when it comes to being in the field, he’s clearly the decision maker and guy calling the shots. No way Rene is leadership material. The guy is a loose cannon who reacts without thinking. Curtis is about as wishy-washy as they come and lacks the ability to execute. Dinah probably possesses the best leader attributes out of the three, but she makes questionable choices when it comes to associates and I’m not sure if she’ll actually ever step up. So, while it seems great now because everything is so fresh and they have that sick new lair (conveniently left over by Helix and one in which the city doesn’t know about?), I predict a big rift coming soon...
This actually brings me to a point I made earlier and said I would touch again. I was really hoping with the team splitting that we would be introduced to some new faces tonight. I thought for sure Ollie would recruit some new heroes to combat the mounting villain threat. But it’s a long season, so here’s hoping that’s on the agenda at some point!

#TeamOliverArrow

For now…

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

There's also an online poll (Oliver is leading, Felicity is second)...

Who Was the Biggest 'Arrow' Hero in 'Divided'? 
January 19, 2018    Laurel Brown, Senior Writer, BuddyTV
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/arrow/who-was-the-biggest-arrow-hero-67390.aspx

While the newer/former members of Team Arrow have their moments in "Divided," they need to be excluded from all heroic labels at this point. Sure, Curtis works to fix Diggle's hand, and Rene at least considers recanting his confession hurting Oliver. But these three supposed heroes are way too committed to acting like teenagers after Oliver spied on them. 

There is nothing heroic in holding a grudge -- especially when it hurts everyone else. 
In addition to sticking with the team and doing everything he can physically, Diggle brings coffee. True hero! 
She does not carry weapons, but Felicity may be the true hero of this whole arc on Arrow. Pulling all-nighters and matching Cayden James' computer skills, this is the hero the team really needs. In "Divided," Felicity is also the only sane one: She points out that the defectors are essentially acting like petulant children whose daddy read their diaries. If everyone listened to Felicity, the bad guys would already be defeated. 

Also, Felicity breaks out Bull Durham quotes to inspire Oliver. That always wins. 
Despite pending criminal charges that could put him away forever, Oliver Queen does not shirk his hero duties in the slightest throughout "Divided." Oliver takes on Cayden's team twice in the episode, both times essentially going in solo. He does a pretty good job too, reminding the audience why this show is called Arrow and not A Whole Bunch of Angst-Ridden Heroes. While Oliver may not be able to take down the bad guys alone, at least he tries. 

It is also notable that Oliver -- when he realizes he cannot beat the villains -- overcomes his pride and apologizes profusely for former breaches of trust. That the others do not accept this just shows how much more heroic Oliver is. Quite frankly, the original Green Arrow really is the biggest hero of "Divided." 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I'll give this to Oliver, if only for the huge character growth he showed reaching out and apologizing (EVEN THOUGH HE DIDN'T HAVE TO) to the newbies.

Yes! I was just watching the Afterbuzz TV aftershow and they were all complaining about how Oliver hasn’t changed at all in 6 seasons. It was like they’re watching a different show...

Those TV Line comments are the best. The entire comment thread has practically been taken over by people complaining about the noobs.

• Love 6

Since the noob backlash caused by the last episode seems to be unintentional, how long will we have to wait until one of the EPs has to do an interview explaining how everyone is watching the show wrong and the noobs' position is actually justified and people should side with them?

Edited by GirlvsTV
  • Love 3

What I laughed about the newbies the most is how Dinah said at the end that "the city NEEDS US, we know that..." and she also said something along the line of not taking that responsibility for granted. Am I blind? Because they didn't do anything in the time away and in the episode itself. They just created more problems! These newbies are the worst.

• Love 5

From the beginning Arrow has always had one of the fittest casts on TV. Has that ever come close to becoming a competition?
That’s funny, but It’s not a competition! It is fun. We work out together. It’s less of a competition, it’s more of a way for us to bond. Everyone can stay healthy together.

And yet when asked who would win, the cast in the past has always hands down said EBR, lol.  So it is probably best it isn't a competition.  

• Love 10

Craig Wack and Tatiana discussed Arrow 610 (starting at 10:29 mark)...

Agents of GEEK Podcast Episode 102
1/21/2018  Craig Wack & Tatiana Torres
http://agentsofgeekpodcast.com/wordpress/

-- Tatiana was "so irritated at New Team Arrow" in this episode because Oliver apologized to them and "they just threw it in his face." She thought that Dinah "had no leg to stand on." Craig agreed that Dinah and Rene had both been "up to something." Tatiana said that Rene could've come to Oliver with his situation and they could've come up with a plan to deal with it. She thought that "maybe Curtis" was the only one "with a leg to stand on" because he wasn't doing anything wrong and Felicity had been making decisions about their company without him.  However, Tatiana said that the newbies were "just playing into Cayden James' hands."

-- Craig compared Oliver's reaction to the newbies' announcement that they were going to go out on their own to an old Kevin Hart stand-up routine, saying, "whenever he got mad at his mom, he threatened to run away and, like, pack one toy in a bag and be like, 'you see, I'm going to leave,' and, you know, his mom was like, 'yeah, whatever.'" So that was like Oliver's calm reaction, which was like: "Okay, pack your toy, do your thing. I know that eventually you will be back." If the newbies want to go on their own against Cayden James, the Russian mob, the Diaz crime organization, and Vigilante, then okay, good luck. Craig noted that, until three weeks ago, Curtis "regularly got the crap kicked out of him" every time they went out. Tatiana joked that they don't even have "Ragboy" to help them out any more. She also loved Felicity's reaction, which was her reaction. In the past, Felicity has been the calm one when Oliver has gotten angry, but this time, Oliver was calm and Felicity was the one going, "Excuse me, what do you think you're doing??"

-- Craig noted that the T-Spheres, as well as both Felicity's chip and Diggle's chip, are all Curtis' tech, so that Cayden - who has access to one of Curtis' T-Spheres - might be able to access (hack?) all that tech and control them all, right in the middle of a battle.

-- Craig and Tatiana said that William has to know what Oliver is doing, with Oliver being gone from home all that time.

-- Craig speculated that Thea and Quentin "are going to be the engineer and the conductor of the Black Siren redemption train" in order to give them something to do on the show. Tatiana said that the only way this would work is if Black Siren "is redeemed and dies immediately." Tatiana said that the cast is "huge" and Arrow doesn't need Black Siren "to be good." Craig wondered if the show was "setting up for some kind of end game" for the show after Season 6.

-- Craig and Tatiana then speculated about SA's plans for his career and SA's comments about wanting more control over his future projects.

-- Craig thought that the NTA storyline will show "just how much heavy lifting both Oliver and Felicity did for them." Tatiana would appreciate the newbies "getting a taste of just how much Oliver has to deal with." She noted that it wasn't easy and he didn't always handle it perfectly. She also noted that Diggle had gotten a taste of it when he led the team. Tatiana saw Rene and Dinah both fighting for the leadership role. Craig saw Curtis "sliding into the Felicity role."

Edited by tv echo

Divided - Arrow Music Notes 6x10
Austencello  January 21, 2018
https://austencello.tumblr.com/post/169979935674/divided-arrow-music-notes-6x10

A theme emerges out of her [Dinah's] confused grief and love when she interacts with him [Vince] in waterglasses (electronic) over strings which contains both angst over the man she lost and a love underneath.  The tone and instruments (minus piano), reminds me of “Someone You Love” (3x14) which was often used for heartbreaking moments in Oliver and Felicity’s relationship.  This theme first appears in 6x05 when Vince takes a bullet in the head right in front of Dinah, she gets a chance to ask him why he became Vigilante, and she decides to let him go instead arresting him. 

The theme reappears in 6x09 when Vince meets her in the alley and they disagree about their roles and outlook of justice, Dinah still angry as Vince tells her that he still cares about her.  One of the Vigilante themes plays as she tells him that she won’t let the Vigilante get away a second time if they meet up in the field. 
... He [Quentin] is convinced that this little sliver of humanity means Laurel (a good person) is still in there.  As he shares this, the theme for Laurel and Lance: “Working Together But Alone” (1x02) plays in the strings and oboe.  This theme was used a lot for the Lance family and dealing with Sara’s death in Season 1.  In 1x19, it plays as Laurel convinces Quentin to help Thea, who reminded her of Sara.  Later on, roles become reversed as the theme morphs to grieving Quentin in Season 5 with Thea offering support and help: “Lance Goes to Rehab.” (5x07) Here, Thea tells Quentin that he is like a father to her and shares her concern about what might happen to him if he pursues this.  
One of the tricky parts about analyzing music as the show comes out each week is that it takes awhile to know whether a new theme for characters are emerging or if it is music of the week.  Having a few weeks perspective helps with theme recognition for the Big Bad of this season: Cayden James.  Cayden (and his theme) first appeared in 6x04 as he revealed himself to Felicity and Alena before ordering their deaths. Low violins play a 5 note motif punctuated with rests and dissonant notes giving a quiet sinister nature.  
All of the big bads have two themes, often contrasting, that can play at the same time.   What is fascinating about Cayden’s other theme is that is essentially a lower variation of the notes in the first theme in the lower strings, changing the rhythm and giving it a driving repetitive force.  This first appears at the end of 6x05 as he reveals a little of his plan to Black Siren.  On top of that is a more melodic slower variation of No.1 which continues to rise in a similar pattern of minor (and dissonant) seconds and thirds (or Augmented seconds but that starts getting really technical).  I believe this may be the theme for Cayden James as leader or for the whole evil team and plan.  It returns at the end of 6x09 as the all of the other team members are revealed: Black Siren, Anatoly, Richard Dragon, and the Vigilante.  Since most of these team members individual themes include minor thirds, this could be an all-encompassing theme instead of having individual melodies.  However, it greatly ties into Cayden’s themes so we shall see how it all plays out.
- Black Siren’s lower string theme was used as the evil team first meet the Bertinellis: “Laurel not Laurel” (5x10.)  It matches Cayden’s theme and more subtle than her musical cry/theme which was used a lot in the first several episodes.
- “Train and Hunt” (Season 1) plays as Oliver/Green Arrow arrives solo tracking down Cayden James.  This was music from Season 1 when he worked solo and “in bed with the Bertinellis” so it fits with both points.
- In 5x02, the Recruits (Rene, Curtis, and Evelyn) are brought into the team by the Green Arrow and then left after they failed the training.  Curtis stays behind to tell Oliver that he was the reason they left: tearing them down instead of building them up creating a lack of trust.  A violin theme plays over this speech: “Everyone Left” which returns here in horns and strings (with violins playing Oliver’s strings pattern from 1x01 quickly then with pauses, representing his team breaking apart) as Curtis gives a very similar speech at the end of this episode.  While trust was built on both sides over the past year and a half (Oliver growing as a leader, recognizing his need of a team and trusting them to take care of the city without him), underlying foundational issues of trust were not strong enough to survive the betrayal from both sides.  Oliver apologized and put aside his anger and hurt for the good of the city to work together to defeat Cayden James’ team.  The newbies are willing to fight for the city but not with Oliver.  They hadn’t been in the trenches with Oliver to the same degree and length as Diggle and Felicity. Three notes repeat in the violins from “Just Listen” (1x07- telling Helena “before the Island, I wasn’t a good person and it affected the people I love”) but more recognizable from “Salvation” (1x18 - saving Roy) “Sacrifice” (1x23 - losing Tommy), and “The Essence of Heroism” (2x22).  This happens as Curtis gives Diggle the chip before walking out.  The theme often occurs in moments of light in great darkness although Oliver may have trouble seeing that in his failings.  Although they lost that team, Curtis gave them the ability to heal Diggle and continue with their team.  
- The music for the NTA bunker reveal was a lot of fun new electronics but different sounds from the OTA bunker/foundry reveals.  A new theme in the violins plays over it.  We shall see if that is a NTA team theme or just for their moment of coming together as a team celebration.  (Anyone else concerned that their new base is where the team met Cayden James in the flesh for the first time? I understand needing to reuse sets but it doesn’t seem the most logical “secret” base)

Edited by tv echo

A CLOSER LOOK AT MEDIA REPRESENTATIONS OF JEWISH PEOPLE
BY SCOTT L. WOLFSON   January 22, 2018
https://www.crixeo.com/media-representation-jewish-people/

Can you think of any Jewish heroes? Arrow seemed to be trying to do something about this. But having Felicity Smoak be a token Jew didn’t do much. On Arrow, she and the very non-Jewish Oliver Queen had only a few conversations about their religious differences, and the topic was mainly glossed over. One might say the topic would stray from the superhero story lines — but the same producers in the same “universe” explored same-sex relationships on Supergirl with tremendous detail and realness. And again — Felicity was a character made up for the show, so it wasn’t as if they brought in a Jewish character but shied away from it. It was their choice to make her Jewish, just as it was their choice to not explore that. However, Arrow did introduce a Jewish hero not everyone was familiar with: Ragman. He’s an interesting character — named and costumed for the semi-racist term given to poor Jewish immigrants who traded and worked as tailors with rags and old clothes. And his power is derived from the myth of the Golem. Of course, none of this was in the show — and the character left after only 11 episodes. And as far as I know, Martin Stein (half of Firestorm) has never discussed his Jewishness on either Arrow or Legends of Tomorrow.

Edited by tv echo

Assessing The Arrowverse: The Problem With The FBI Investigating Green Arrow
BY JOE PELLICONE   JANUARY 15, 2018
http://fanfest.com/2018/01/15/assessing-the-arrowverse-the-problem-with-the-fbi-investigating-green-arrow/

... Though despite all the complexities and interesting face-offs, there is one story thread this season that doesn’t make sense – or rather, doesn’t make sense any more: The Criminal Investigation of Green Arrow.

In past seasons, this made sense when it was ‘The Hood’/ ‘The Arrow’. For starters, there was a lot more killing then; but now the Green Arrow – or at least his public presence – is one of a hero. He’s worked with the SCPD, he led the city against Damien Darhk and most importantly he was given praise by the President of the United States! The Green Arrow is the exact opposite of a ‘threat to national security’ and has been shown to be a force of good. Even when framed/ tricked into something, he is ultimately exonerated. For example, last season Oliver did have to publicly condemn the Green Arrow, but in the months following (where Adrian Chase was revealed to be Prometheus) he’s sure to have been exonerated of those transgressions – or at least had them explained. So why now? And why so fiercely?
The easy answer to all this is that FBI Agent Samandra Watson has her own motivations and/or might be working with Cayden James; but the MidSeason Finale would have been the perfect time to reveal that. This means there’s still a chance Agent Watson is “just doing her job”, but is she? The way she has handled this case and how she arrested Oliver publicly for being the Green Arrow was incredibly unprofessional. She knows full well that such allegations could bring repercussions to his son and family members. Hell, it’s happened before! Though no matter how much the character of Agent Watson is being written to be hated, there’s still the chance that she is good in some way. Perhaps this is all just some sort of ‘realistic’ read of the situation. Though there’s actually several items that make this incredibly unrealistic: (1) again, the President of the United States acknowledged the Green Arrow as a hero just last season, (2) the world saw him fight off Nazi invaders this season and (3) other heroes like the Flash seem to get a pass!

Though to be completely fair, super powered heroes getting a pass and non-powered heroes being labeled as vigilantes/ criminals is nothing new. Hell, this debate has been going on for ages with Superman and Batman – just swap in Flash and Green Arrow. Green Arrow and Flash have both worked with their respective Police Departments, but it’s only when Green Arrow helps catch the bad guy that we hear ‘he makes the police seem ill-prepared’. And the Flash doesn’t? When dealing with metas, the CCPD need the help of a meta. When dealing with highly trained/ weaponized villains, shouldn’t the SCPD have a little bit of help as well? Furthermore, remember that Green Arrow always turns over the villains. The Flash on the other hand has often locked metas away in the pipeline prison. Does Green Arrow get the short end of the stick because he’s still just human?

But what do you think? After appearing in almost every season, is this storyline played out? Should they have continued with the ‘leaked photo’ idea and made this more about ‘revealed identities’ instead of ‘Green Arrow = criminal’? Should Team Flash invest in a Metahuman lawyer? Is FBI Agent Watson actually Cayden’s wife and equally blames Oliver for the loss of her son? ....

Edited by tv echo

Though no matter how much the character of Agent Watson is being written to be hate

Is she really? I don't hate her, in fact I like her sass. I never viewed her as a villain, an antagonist sure but, so was S1 Lance and I didn't hate him either.

• Love 1