Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

Katie Cassidy really does not know how to answer questions, does she? Why drag the Green Arrow into the conversation when the question was about Sara's death. She made it about Laurel and Oliver again. 

At a guess, that's the only way she can connect to the show.  Laurel and her great love for Oliver, platonic and otherwise.  And Laurel is this really strong warrior that Nyssa and Ted Grand see and respect.

The rest of the show is just a blur for her. I wonder if she even watches the episodes because in her interviews, she doesn't seem to have an idea of what is going on.

She basically gave the same answer regarding Laurel's relationship with those characters. She will butt heads with all of them, and then they'll respect her and see her as a warrior. And it seems more speculation on her part than anything else, her perception of what happens. We'll see.

Edited by looptab

I actually liked the interview. Now I really believe the last interview  the writer was changing her wording to stir up shit lol. 

But yeah the false hope giving that Sara may be alive is not cool lol. 

Edited by ban1o

Or maybe KC knows that if she fails to get fans on her side this season, they can always use the Lazarus Pits to bring Sara back to life. 

The way they appear to be going about it, doesn't sound promising to me. Having Nyssa and Ted Grant telling Laurel how awesome she is, is the wrong way to go about getting fans to like her. Didn't they watch Smallville and She-Who-Will-Be-Loved (aka Lana)? In 8 seasons that never worked. I'd rather they tell her she's awful at fighting and shouldn't think about going out there and that is what drives her to get better (hopefully that takes until the show goes off the air). 

Also if Laurel is good and righteous why is she taking the name Black Canary. Shouldn't she go by Blue Jay or something happy and suits her better than her sister's assassin name with the outfit color added. Black Canary to me symbolizes darkness and a rescuer. Which Laurel is not dark and is the one that always needs rescuing. She needs her own name to be her own person. No one else has taken anyone elses name on this show (despite what the EP's think when they keep saying that) 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

Here is another interview with KC. This one is a lot better, so I wonder if the other interviewer deliberately worded things oddly to get people talking. Also, stop giving me hope about Sara, not cool.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/arrow-katie-cassidy-saras-death-740682

Yeah, this one is a lot better, although nothing about it makes me excited to watch her arc this season, especially the tired rehash of the O/L soulmates bit, and how she thinks everyone sees Laurel as a warrior and fighter. It's chipping away at my hope that she wouldn't become a Mary Sue vigilante.

I didn't even notice that Natalie Abrams wrote the other one, and that does explain a lot.

• Love 1

Yeah, this one is a lot better, although nothing about it makes me excited to watch her arc this season, especially the tired rehash of the O/L soulmates bit, and how she thinks everyone sees Laurel as a warrior and fighter. It's chipping away at my hope that she wouldn't become a Mary Sue vigilante.

I didn't even notice that Natalie Abrams wrote the other one, and that does explain a lot.

I agree with you, I'm not excited. However, last season she made similar claims about the finale & we got the opposite... so I'm not totally worried yet. The soul-mate bit is redundant & annoys me, but at least she's adding that it's her view - not the shows- just hers. That is a big difference from past interviews. I wish I could get excited for this character but after Sara's death, I've pretty much written her off.

I actually liked the interview. Now I really believe the last interview  the writer was changing her wording to stir up shit lol. 

But yeah the false hope giving that Sara may be alive is not cool lol. 

Damn, this may be really naïve, but do journalists actually change quotes like that?  I was under the impression that any answers given would be verbatim, but I don't really know because I'm definitely not a writer.

Here's the direct quote in case anyone wants to see it.

I really hope KC just misspoke, I know I took it (hopefully) wrong the first time I read through it but even if she did word that wrong the line about having always been best friends comes off delusional and I'm certain KC meant every word of that.

I guess to be fair, Laurel acts like she considers Oliver her best friend, he just doesn't treat her like that.

Reading the later half of the quote tells me that KC actually doesn't know what happens next. Notice the "I have a feeling" part.

From the IGN interview.

IGN: So with that arc, her growing stronger and Sara’s death, do you think that will have an effect on Laurel’s relationship with Oliver?

Cassidy: Yeah, absolutely. I’ve always said that I think the two of them, from when we shot the pilot, are soulmates. Even though romantically they may not be together at the moment, or at this time in their lives, I think Laurel knows Oliver better than he knows himself. I think that she out of anyone isn’t afraid to stand up to him or call him out or get in his face. She’s very strong, very secure and mentally I do think that she is a warrior inside and a survivor and it takes somebody who’s that strong and that driven, given everything that we’ve seen her go through since Season 1. You have to be a very strong person to deal with all of this. I think that he, at first, will probably not be supportive because he doesn’t want to put her in danger but I think ultimately he will see that she has the mentality and that she’s dedicated and she’s willing to start from the bottom and learn the basics and do the training and she actually has what it takes. I think, hopefully, eventually he will end up respecting that and accepting it. Who knows? Maybe they’ll move forward together as a team. Partner in crime? I don’t know but it definitely would be cool.

Damn, this may be really naïve, but do journalists actually change quotes like that?  I was under the impression that any answers given would be verbatim, but I don't really know because I'm definitely not a writer.

well they don't really change quotes but they can often change the wording to make it more understandable, especially if the person is talking quickly and such. But I don't know KC could just have really bad wording lol. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 1

Interviews are generally edited for space and oral interviews can sometimes be transcribed incorrectly.  This is entertainment journalism, so it's not quite on the same level as making sure a politician has been quoted correctly or people are getting the correct information about the effects of a natural disaster.

Anyway.

I think that she out of anyone isn’t afraid to stand up to him or call him out or get in his face.

So far on this show, if I recall correctly, the following people have stood up to Oliver, called him out, or gotten into his face: Thea, Quentin, Diggle, Moira, Yao Fei, Fyers, Slade, Felicity, Tommy, Malcolm, Sebastian Blood, Sara, Isabel, Barry Allen, Amanda Waller, that other vigilante guy in the subway in season one, Helena, Roy, the Bratva guy, Ivo, and Oliver's subconscious in the form of hallucinations.  

Did I forget anyone?  

I mean, just in this last episode alone, Diggle called him out, Felicity called him out twice and walked out on him after he kissed her, the QC board said, "Yeah...no," and Vertigo was annoyed enough to shoot a small missile at him.  To an extent the entire show is about people calling Oliver Queen out on his crap.

• Love 12

If KC stopped sprouting the soulmate 'I know Oliver better than he knows himself' crap I wouldn't mind her answer so much but that just leaves such a bad taste in my mouth.

Yeah, since it doesn't reflect anything that has ever happened on the show. Maybe that great idea the EPs pitched her was an O/L AU where he didn't treat her like shit and she didn't look past it for the sake of being Oliver Queen's girlfriend, and they both live happily ever after.

My brain hurts trying to figure out what alternate reality exists where Laurel knows Oliver better than himself and why KC believes that. It's like a brain teaser I can't solve. Maybe KC's reading some really good AU fanfic. That's all I've got.

I can't get too worked up over all these KC interviews, to be honest--especially since she always says the same things regardless of what is happening over the course of the show.  But here's the thing...they're HER opinions and not necessarily the those of the producers.  I think it's been proven time and time again that what gets said doesn't really play out on the screen so why should it be any different now?   She's being a salesperson for Laurel because that's what she gets paid to do.  That doesn't mean I have to buy what she's selling (and I don't...at all).

It's too bad the reporters can't list out the people that stand up to Oliver and the people that know Oliver better than Laurel does, which are Moira, Diggle, Felicity, Sara, Slade, Waller, Lyla, and the Russian Mob guy.

Someone needs to tell KC to stop saying O/L are soulmates, she's the only one that stands up to him and she knows him better than anyone. All of those are not true and have never been shown on screen. 

• Love 1

I can only get annoyed at the soulmate talk sense that's only her opinion. But it erks me that she can say Laurel knows him better then he knows himself. Better then anyone. That she above everyone else can stand up to him. I want so bad for someone to ask her to explain her comments, with reference to what we have seen on the show.

And I would love it if someone asked SA and the EPS about it. I want to know how they would spin it. SA has already contradicted her in regrads to the the soulmate comment.

I want so bad for someone to ask her to explain her comments, with reference to what we have seen on the show.

And I would love it if someone asked SA and the EPS about it. I want to know how they would spin it. SA has already contradicted her in regrads to the the soulmate comment

I think she bases this comments on lines like "I know you like i know my own name" :/ Too bad they never actually showed us that.

When did SA contradict her?

Stephen's comments all through SDCC were that there was one woman in his life (Felicity) and that they would not be revisiting Sara or Laurel as romantic interests for Oliver. ("The ship has sailed on those relationships.")

• Love 3

Stephen's comments all through SDCC were that there was one woman in his life (Felicity) and that they would not be revisiting Sara or Laurel as romantic interests for Oliver. ("The ship has sailed on those relationships.")

Well he did say for this season. 

There was also an interview he did where someone asked him about KC's soulmate/meant to be comment. And he said something along the lines of so much as happened, with Tommy and such, that even with her knowing his secret he isn't sure there could be anything more then friendship.

I want to say it was at the end of last season.

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 2

I think she bases this comments on lines like "I know you like i know my own name" :/ Too bad they never actually showed us that.

When did SA contradict her?

Remember that interview that KC did where she talked about being a method actor?  I think that she mentioned that she would talk to writers if things in the script didn't feel right to her.  I kind of wondered if lines like "I know you in my bones" and such were actually suggested by KC to the writers.  Totally speculation on my part, though.   

• Love 1

The first time it was at the end of S2. When he was doing interviews for the finale. One week before KC was doing all the interviews and was spouting about soulmates and other things.

Now that Laurel is in the know of his Arrow identity, has their relationship changed? Do you think it will?

They'll have their moment of trying to reconcile all of this new information. But it hasn't happened yet because it's been five hours since Oliver found out Laurel knew. They'll have their moment but it won't happen this season.

Katie Cassidy said recently that Laurel believes she and Oliver are "soulmates." Does Oliver share those same feelings?

Oliver's always going to love Laurel. He's always going to love her, period. But things change. Oliver never wanted Laurel to know for a reason because knowledge equals danger. The people that find out his identity always find themselves in the crosshairs of trouble. I think that her knowing, even though it's revealing Oliver to be the guy she always hoped he would be, at the same time, it may make it more difficult for them to have a relationship in the future beyond friendship.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/arrow-stephen-amell-season-2-703702

• Love 1

Well he did say for this season. 

I'm forgetting all of the interviews at SDCC, but while he said the thing about Felicity being true "this season," repeatedly, here is where he talks about Sara and Laurel. 

It just seems he’s got Sarah out there and Laurel…

Stephen Amell: The ship has sailed on those romances. I don’t think we’ll ever see Oliver & Sarah or Oliver & Laurel together again. I mean – they’ll be together but just not ‘together-together’. They’ll be teammates.
Edited by Carrie Ann

I am pretty apathetic when it comes to Laurel and I don't like KC but she probably has some basis for the delusional things she says:

How will Sara’s death impact Oliver and Laurel?
GUGGENHEIM:  There’s a scene between the two of them in Episode 6 that’s the sweetest scene, and it’s Oliver and Laurel.  Every now and again, we do have these scenes between the two of them where you really feel the history between the two of them.  They were best friends, they were lovers, they were in love with each other, and now they’re post-relationship, but there’s this history there that’s always going to follow them and is always going to be a bond between the two of them.  And there’s a scene that ends Episode 6 that’s a really good example of that.  Sara’s death probably pulls them closer together than further apart.  That’s not to say that there aren’t some significant moments of conflict between them, also.  One of the reasons we killed Sara off is the amount of story and richness that we get out of it.  There’s a scene in Episode 2 where they’re going at it and can’t stand each other.  There’s also a scene in Episode 2 where they’re the closest they’ve ever been.  That’s all in the same episode, and it doesn’t feel schizophrenic or inconsistent.  Each moment feel earned because of the emotional roller coaster that these people are on.

From Collider interview post 3.01

IMO, the EPs don't think they have to show something on screen if it's in a comic somewhere.  They say it and they think we need to just go with it.  This leads to a lot of the WTF moments in this show like "I know you in my bones".

Edited by Sunshine

I am pretty apathetic when it comes to Laurel and I don't like KC but she probably has some basis for the delusional things she says:

How will Sara’s death impact Oliver and Laurel?

GUGGENHEIM:  There’s a scene between the two of them in Episode 6 that’s the sweetest scene, and it’s Oliver and Laurel.  Every now and again, we do have these scenes between the two of them where you really feel the history between the two of them.  They were best friends, they were lovers, they were in love with each other, and now they’re post-relationship, but there’s this history there that’s always going to follow them and is always going to be a bond between the two of them.  And there’s a scene that ends Episode 6 that’s a really good example of that.  Sara’s death probably pulls them closer together than further apart.  That’s not to say that there aren’t some significant moments of conflict between them, also.  One of the reasons we killed Sara off is the amount of story and richness that we get out of it.  There’s a scene in Episode 2 where they’re going at it and can’t stand each other.  There’s also a scene in Episode 2 where they’re the closest they’ve ever been.  That’s all in the same episode, and it doesn’t feel schizophrenic or inconsistent.  Each moment feel earned because of the emotional roller coaster that these people are on.

From Collider interview post 3.01

IMO, the EPs don't think they have to show something on screen if it's in a comic somewhere.  They say it and they think we need to just go with it.  This leads to a lot of the WTF moments in this show.

While there's nothing in the narrative at all to suggest that there was ever a point in time where Oliver and Laurel were best friends, at least MG does say were. It seems like KC's operating under the belief that there's a present-tense aspect to that BFdom, which...come on, girl.

There’s a scene in Episode 2 where they’re going at it and can’t stand each other.  There’s also a scene in Episode 2 where they’re the closest they’ve ever been.  That’s all in the same episode, and it doesn’t feel schizophrenic or inconsistent.

Color me skeptical, sir.

Edited by apinknightmare

This is what really concerns me about KC's interviews.  At this point, she's filmed eight or so episodes, so she knows where her story has taken her up to that point.  So how much of the stuff that she says in interviews is her speculation and how much is stuff that has already really happened?  Yikes.

I  wonder if the writers have said something to KC for her to keep saying they are soul mates. Although she is entitled to her opinion and I don't really care what she says I do wonder if her comments are based on some sort of insight the writers gave her. Not likely since she's really the only one to say the soul mate remark in a while, but I am curious. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 1

I'm wondering if they did talk to her about it and that's why she has added the portion about it being her opinion.

Maybe she just keeps talking about it because she A)wants it to happen and B)is annoyed with the Olicity.

Edited by 10Eleven12

I think it's possible that that's a door they're keeping open, and have said so to her. I'm more and more convinced that they have a concrete intention of trying a Laurel/Oliver romance again, and then they'll try to sell us that their love conquers all. Which..seriously..stop.

Edited by looptab
  • Love 1

I think it's possible that that's a door they're keeping open, and have said so to her. I'm more and more convinced that they have a concrete intentions of trying a Laurel/Oliver romance again, and then trying to sell us that they're love conquers all. Which..seriously..stop.

Yeah, I can conceive of TPTB not believing that Oliver has fully evolved as a hero until the woman he shit all over takes him back once he's a changed man. They're being awfully heavy handed with the symbolism as far as Oliver and Felicity are concerned if they're not considering them endgame though, so if they get back together, I think they'll break up before the show ends. Of course, I'll be out at that point.

• Love 6

As much as a hate it, there is always a chance they would go back to Oliver and Laurel. But if that is their intention, they are digging a massive hole with Olicity. Both from the narrative they have established and the ship baiting all summer long (not to mention during 3.01 with so many castmates tweeting the date and SA posting the Olicity gifset). Its one thing to keep both ships alive, but to spend the summer killing one and promoting the other? Only to do a 180? Thats dangerous.

• Love 4

No, not if you're a journalist with any kind of respect for your profession. You can't change quotes. However, you can clarify quotes by adding dropped words if there are any or adding explanations, but you have to indicate those with either parentheses or brackets (depending on the newspaper's style). You can definitely paraphrase, but you have to be very careful not to change the meaning. That's why direct quotes are so much better.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 1

They probably used the term soul mates to her before the pilot so she's clinging to that like one would a life preserver.

At this point I think they have shelved Oliver/Laurel as a romance but they still seem to be pushing Arrow/Canary as THE relationship on the show. If they can establish that without hurting ratings too badly they could then decide to give the romance another try.

I think it's possible that that's a door they're keeping open, and have said so to her. I'm more and more convinced that they have a concrete intention of trying a Laurel/Oliver romance again, and then they'll try to sell us that their love conquers all. Which..seriously..stop.

If they do that, after everything (Oliver sleeping with Sara…again…and the way they are building Olicity to be the big romance of the show) then they are more stupid than I thought and I won't be the only one who stops watching. 

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 2
 I think that her knowing, even though it's revealing Oliver to be the guy she always hoped he would be, at the same time, it may make it more difficult for them to have a relationship in the future beyond friendship.

(From SA's interview)

All considered, I don't know how to take this bit. It's kind of like the "because of the life that i lead" speech, but with another player. It's possible he was being vague since at the time he might have not known the direction they were going to take relationship-wise, though.

Is anyone else tickled (yes I used tickled) by this?  I don't want insta-friendship or any kind of friendship because I want to enjoy my Felicity scenes. Seems like that's not a concern so far. I'm all for Thea/Felicity or Felicity & the Flash ladies. 

Could there be a friendship between Laurel and Felicity?
I'm not exactly sure where the writers are going to go with that but I do know that Laurel has respect for her because she's so smart and she's so good at what she does and she's part of Team Arrow in keeping Oliver's secret. It's an interesting relationship and dynamic between the two of them that I think we'll explore more this season, especially now that Laurel is involved in more of the action. But I'm not sure, that's a good question for the writers.

From the IGN interview:

Aside from saying that, and the fact that I think the fans and the fans of the comic book and the fans of Laurel, I think that they’re going to be very happy.

Even KC does it! It's amazing to me the way the EPs, Stephen, and now Katie all have to qualify their statements every time they talk about Laurel. It's like they all know the critics and majority of fans are gonna hate whatever they do with her, but hey, at least the small minority of fans who love her will love it. How sad.

And I would love it if someone asked SA and the EPS about it. I want to know how they would spin it. SA has already contradicted her in regrads to the the soulmate comment.

I actually would love it if someone asked her about Stephen's comment that the ship has sailed on Oliver/Laurel and see how she responds to it. 

There is a list of SA quotes I would love for someone to bring up to her. Some of my favorites:

-The soulmate one

-The ship has sailed

-One woman in Oliver's life (this year...but still)

-In terms of woman in his life, she (Felicity) knows him better then anyone

And even from Oliver: the whole dinner date conversation between Oliver and Felicity.

• Love 1

About the "this year," I know some people view it as a qualifier, but I really don't think it is. All the interviews that day were about what's happening on Arrow this season, not what's potentially happening next year or in Season 6. Ergo, I don't think there's any real significance to "this year."  Could the writers go in a different direction next year? Sure. But I don't think Stephen was contemplating this year, as opposed to next season. 

• Love 2

No personal offense to KC, but every time I bother to read her interviews I end up wishing I hadn't bothered. Her views on Laurel and Laurel's relationships never make any sense to me when viewed against the story that's unfolded over two years. The only thing she seems to have made sense of is her relationship with Quentin, and I'm inclined to give PB the credit for that. Just once, I'd like to hear her say something like "Laurel and Oliver will always have a connection, but Laurel isn't defined by Oliver. She's on her own journey this season, and she needs to figure out who she is." Is that so hard - to talk about what's possible for her character without the shroud of Lauriver, the leakiest 'ship that ever sailed, hanging over her head? And the idea that we have "Laurel, Warrior Princess" coming... I don't know if I should laugh? I definitely think the S2 Cycle of Suck is on its way in again. I may need alcohol while watching this, and I'm living in a dry country. (Off to Google brewing methods.)

• Love 11

Laurel Brown the TV journalist just wants Oliver and Felicity to kiss to avoid future conflicts.

http://www.docbrowntv.com/arrow-recap-tommy-thea-heartbreak-sara/

As for Felicity and Oliver, it’s notable that they do not discuss their oh-so-recent kiss directly. Instead, they snap at each other and deal with their emotions in their own ways. Felicity turns to Ray Palmer, taking the high-paying job he’s offering (despite the stalking and BTWs). Oliver, meanwhile, reenacts the crime before chasing down a whole bunch of people.

They should have just kissed. Kissing is more fun.

• Love 5

So it looks like the ratings dipped  to a 0.8 from a 1.0. To be honest I'm actually surprised. I assumed they would stay the same or go up due to first epiosdes pretty shocking ending and last year the second episodes ratings went up. A 0.8 is still good for the CW though I guess. 

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/10/ratings-news-16th-october-2014.html 

It still might adjust up though with finals. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 1