Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

http://m.deadline.com/2014/02/warner-bros-exec-sarah-schechter-to-run-greg-berlantis-film-and-tv-company/

Sarah Schechter is the new president of Berlanti Productions, so she'll be probably credited as EP in all of their shows. I'm assuming this is to give Berlanti more freedom as a writer.

Erik Oleson is a new staff writer and co-EP, but I don't think he's a new showrunner? Though maybe they'll need someone if Kreisberg is gonna be running The Flash's writers room alone.

Her name is Sarah Schecter. From the CW PR:

After a violent shipwreck, billionaire playboy Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) was missing and presumed dead for five years before being discovered alive on a remote island in the Pacific. He returned home to Starling City, bent on righting the wrongs of his family and fighting injustice. To do this, he creates the persona of the Arrow and allies himself with former military man John Diggle (David Ramsey), computer-science expert Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards), street brawler Roy Harper (Colton Haynes) and international assassin Sara Lance (Caity Lotz), while keeping his secret from those closest to him including his sister Thea (Willa Holland), who has allied herself with his most deadly enemy. Rivalries and allegiances will shift as Oliver faces his most difficult challenge yet. Based on characters appearing in comic books and graphic novels published by DC Entertainment, ARROW is from Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television, with executive producers Greg Berlanti (“Green Lantern,” “Brothers & Sisters”), Marc Guggenheim (“Eli Stone,” “Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters”), Andrew Kreisberg (“Warehouse 13,” “The Vampire Diaries”) and Sarah Schechter.

She was named president of Warner Bros-based Berlanti Productions in february.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/warner-bros-exec-sarah-schechter-to-run-greg-berlantis-film-and-tv-company/

Bringing the Sarah Schechter thread over here, then:

I know she's been tweeting about the Flash, but Arrow only started getting blocked/written this past week, so I don't know if she's had anything to tweet about yet.

The CW press releases are listing her as an executive producer on Arrow, as are DC sources, so I went with that. 

Kriesberg is working with another producer over on Flash - David Nutter. I think Geoff Johns is having additional creative input as well.

Yeah, David Nutter directed the pilot, and Geoff Johns co-wrote it, but I don't think either of them will be running the writers room with AK.

(edited)

Right but maybe I'm missing something there's a difference between EP and Show Runner, right? Shows can have multiple EPs but that doesn't make them all Show Runners. Usually there's the show runner or team of show runners and then you have EPs/writers and then staff writers.

She's obviously high up in Berlanti Productions, sounds like she's going to create another level of management between Berlanti and all of his projects but not act as a day to day show runner on Arrow.

Edited by Morrigan2575

I get bitter because "showrunner" is not an official Hollywood credit, so for every freaking show I gotta figure out who's running the writers rooms and who's not amongst the Exec Prods.

(edited)

Yes, the Executive Producer is a title given to someone who has power, or it can be honorific such as actors negotiating their contracts to give them producer status (although now that I've looked further the only one I can find is Hugh Laurie who got EP credit for the last 3 seasons of House) .  Doesn't mean much in term of the direction a show takes. That's the show-runners' call, who are also EPs but not the only EPs.

Berlanti seems to be the primary show-runner for his productions, with Kreisburg and Guggenheim under him for Arrow and The Flash. They've said that Berlanti goes over ideas with them and then they put them into action.

I don't know if Sarah Schechter will also have creative input or if she will be management/organization to free up Berlanti for more projects. 

Edited by statsgirl

It's tricky, since it depends upon the network and the production company and what exactly people are getting credited for.  But generally, "Executive Producer," does mean showrunner, unless "Executive Producer" has a "co" in front of it (like, for instance, George RR Martin's credit on Game of Thrones) or "Executive Producer" is immediately followed by "Producer" or something else.

I think this will be much more clear in the fall when the official credits start appearing for all of the Berlanti shows.

(edited)

MG interview related to his whole career but includes stuff about Arrow.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/06/catching-up-with-arrow-showrunner-marc-guggenheim.html

I'm not sure when the article was written, MG mentioned that they're pitching S3 to The CW "tomorrow" but this was apparently done sometime after the Series finale aired...or the media got an advanced screening.  They went back to writing S3 on Monday 6/2, I'm guessing they had to pitch S3 right around the time of the finale but I always thought they made the pitch before Upfronts?

Interview with CH and EBR...it's in Spanish, not sure if the link will come through as translated to English but I'm sure the Spanish speakers among us can translate better than Google anyway.

http://cinemania.es/blogs/detalle/22249/los-lectores-de-cinemania-entrevistan-a-emily-bett-rickards-y-colton-haynes-de-arrow

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

I wonder if that's the official DVD cover?  It's a twist on the CW S2 poster but I don't like it as much. I get that it's Arrow but putting so much distance between him and the rest of the cast feels off, plus changing the background from the Island to the generic city streets seems off as well.

It's the S2 poster with a twist, Oliver is in fully Arrow garb including bow & arrow he's pushed further to the front away from the Team and they changed the background from The Island to something generic.  I think they should have jsut kept the S2 poster it was better (IMO).

file_178947_1_arrow_season_2_poster.jpg

• Love 2

Not necessarily.  Emmy categories, are usually more about the best chance to get the nomination rather than what part the actor may play in the show. EBR is in her first year as a series regular on the show, there is no way she would have been submitted as Lead. Frankly, if KC name had been submitted, she would probably have been submitted in the supporting category as well.  Lead categories are usually for the people who carry the show (Julianna Margulies on the Good Wife, James Spader on Blacklist, for example).  On Arrow, the only real lead is Stephen Amell, everyone else is supporting.

• Love 1

Looking at the updated photo of the group, I'm struck at how much skinnier Katie looks. Obviously there was some photoshopping done, but I wonder if the graphics guy did that on purpose as snarky commentary on how skeletal she is? Cause the photoshop job looks BAD. I really hope she's been eating more protein as part of all that supposed training she's been doing since the finale.

• Love 1
(edited)

Looking at the Season 2 poster above, I suspect the Season 3 poster will be changed to give Katie Cassidy a more prominent placement (closer to Oliver/Arrow).

Edited by tv echo

The season three poster won't be released until closer to the premiere date. Last year I think it was August 27. It will be interesting though to see if there are any changes in the positioning compared to the season two poster.

I will laugh if Emily and maybe even Caity (if she does end up being a regular) end up near the front and Katie Cassidy is back in the shadows again. It probably won't happen though. If they're really going to make her Black Canary in season three, she'll probably be up in front again.

(edited)

Oh wow that's bad. Who's the girl on the roof supposed to be? Thea? Sara?

In all seriousness, I do hope the season three poster is better than the season two poster, however they're arranged. I didn't even recognize Laurel at first - that even now doesn't look anything like KC to me. And I don't like how Felicity looks, though at least she is recognizable.

Edited by Starfish35
(edited)

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but it seems the arrow facebook page is making #FelicityFriday a thing, which I think is really cute :D

And WarnerBrosTV retweeted that Also #LotsofFeelsFriday RT @CW_Arrow Oliver's not going to let anything happen to you. #FelicityFriday #Arrow

BrLE5aPCMAEC5Yq.png

An Intetview with Emily & Colton: Sugapuff Meets The Cast of Arrow - Colton Haynes & Emily Bett Rickards

Edited by Velocity23
  • Love 1

You know, Colton is an example of how interviews can make me like the character more. I used to find Roy annoying, and now I like him a lot more. Of course his story improved a little, but I think a lot of it is due to how personable he is in his public appearances/interviews. Pairing him with Emily is just icing, really - they're so funny together!

• Love 3