Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Talk: The Tribe Has Spoken

• Start Topic

(edited)

I am so glad to see the Cesterinino love in here. He was my favorite up until I stopped watching after the second Redemption Island season.

Me too. His rep took a beating after all stars which I always thought was unfair. I think him and Cirie are the best players never to win.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 5

I'm not sure Jerri actually improved her position by switching from Team Rob to Team Parv, though I do agree she played well.  Jumping on Russell's insanity to boot Danielle and give herself a shot at final three was exceptionally well done.

As a thought experiment though, let's think about if she votes out Russell the week after Tyson is booted.  That makes the Villain tribe (in approximate order of loyalty to Rob):

Rob, Coach, Courtney, Sandra, Jerri, Danielle, and Parvati.  Against JT (idol), Rupert, Colby, Amanda, and Candice.  If the Villains win one of the last two challenges (and Rob >>> Russell in challenges, especially puzzles so I think this is reasonable), we hit the merge at:

Rob, Coach, Courtney, Sandra, Jerri, Danielle, JT (idol), Rupert, Colby, and Amanda (I think this is right anyway).  And there's an extra villain idol lying around somewhere.

Assume the Pagonging goes fairly straight forwardly.  Danielle is unceremoniously booted in sixth.  So now it's Rob, Coach, Courtney, Sandra, and Jerri.  I think Rob is smart enough to know Sandra is dangerous if you put her in front of a jury, while Coach is generally viewed as a buffoon.  So his inclination would be to ally with Coach, who will prefer taking Jerri, right?  I think Rob definitely thinks he can beat Courtney or Jerri so will just go with the thing that guarantees Coach.

That's all extrapolating kind of far out and it's hard for Jerri to make that projection, especially given her All-Stars experience where she got snaked by a moron doing Rob's bidding.  But still!  I think she's probably got a solid shot at FTC either way she goes.  I think she's more likely to get to FTC with Rob actually, but less likely to beat Rob in a situation where Lex is not involved.

Plus I like Rob more than Russell.  And that would have kept Courtney around for a bunch more episodes.  The only flaw here would be no Dragonz.  And if Rob had won HvV we don't get RI in the format we did or maybe even the "duel" seasons at all.  So Jerri single handedly ruined Survivor for multiple seasons.

OK, no. That was the editors. Still though, dammit Jerri!

I don't think that scenario would've played out, considering both Sandra and Courtney said post-show that if Russell had gone at the Tribal Council that claimed Tyson, then Rob and Tyson wouldn't have stayed for much longer.  They would've turned on them immediately afterwards with Parvati, Danielle, and Jerri's votes.

Me too. His rep took a beating after all stars which I always thought was unfair. I think him and Cirie are the best players never to win.

Really?  I never knew that.  I thought Rob got a raw deal during AS, but I wondered if he would have fared better if his original season and AS hadn't aired so closely.  It might have given him more people to hide behind, and more time for people to forget his game play a little.  Rob is a big reason why Amazon is one of my all time favorite seasons, and he's among the few Survivors I could watch over and over again.  I was crushed when he lost out on the final IC, to Jenna of all people.

• Love 2

Does anyone know where I can watch Pearl Islands for free? Andrew Savage is the only player on Season 32 I have absolutely no memory of.

I second this. I remember liking Pearl Islands, though. And I do remember Jeff's bro crush on Savage. Jeffy's not going to know who to fawn over in S31, when so many of his crushes are competing.

• Love 2

If you sign up for the CBS All Access, you get a week free.  They have every Survivor season uploaded.  I had to go back during the voting for S31 to remember some of these people (and promptly remembered why I hated them in the first place).  That's the only place I know of.

PI is a season I wasn't crazy about like a lot of fans, but I did enjoy it.  If it hadn't been for the Outcast twist and what became the over-saturation of Rupert, it would probably be in my top 10.  Actually, I might have enjoyed the Outcast twist more, except it brought back 2 of the people I wanted to see return least.

• Love 1
(edited)

Going back to the beginning and watching seasons that I can watch for free on Amazon Prime, which starts with Season 3 (Africa). For some reason, I never watched it. Saw and loved the first two seasons, but never watched Africa (someone mentioned its airing so soon after 9/11, which may have something to do with it). It's weird already knowing who won, plus knowing some of the players from All-Stars before having seen them on their first season. My son and I are two episodes in, and so far we are liking it. I forgot how much time they devoted early on to the actual SURVIVAL aspect of the game. You really got the sense that some of those players could easily drop dead at any minute, as opposed to the most recent seasons where people seemed to actually be GAINING weight. Poor Diane in episode 1 looked like she wasn't going to make it.

Edited by pricklypear
  • Love 1

Really?  I never knew that.  I thought Rob got a raw deal during AS, but I wondered if he would have fared better if his original season and AS hadn't aired so closely.  It might have given him more people to hide behind, and more time for people to forget his game play a little.  Rob is a big reason why Amazon is one of my all time favorite seasons, and he's among the few Survivors I could watch over and over again.  I was crushed when he lost out on the final IC, to Jenna of all people.

I remember people thought he was overrated and didn't like how he reacted when he was voted out. I agree he got a raw deal with his original season airing so close to the filming of All-Stars that and the fact he had no winners on his tribe and Jeff's label "best never to win". I think he might have done better if it was two tribe season. I know he said he went through a rough time after being voted out. Glad everything has worked out for him in the long run.

• Love 1

I remember people thought he was overrated and didn't like how he reacted when he was voted out. I agree he got a raw deal with his original season airing so close to the filming of All-Stars that and the fact he had no winners on his tribe and Jeff's label "best never to win". I think he might have done better if it was two tribe season. I know he said he went through a rough time after being voted out. Glad everything has worked out for him in the long run.

I vaguely remember hearing about that.  I have a feeling, like a lot of people, that some of these second chancers are equally going to have a really tough time if they get an early-than-expected exit.  Rob's expression when he realized he was getting voted off is one that stays engraved in my mind for some reason, but I can only imagine being such a "big name" and getting so much hype about your game, doing extremely well in your respective season (by today's standards, Rob would be in the running for the million), and then have it all cut short.  It's like tainting a legacy, especially since Rob did play key roles in how his season played out.  I've always liked him.  I don't understand why S8 didn't have 20 contestants, and then they could have had two tribes.  It was an AS season, so why not just throw in 2 more.  There were certainly others from Africa, Marquesas, and Thailand (my least favorite season) that I would have liked to see get a second chance.  

I vaguely remember hearing about that.  I have a feeling, like a lot of people, that some of these second chancers are equally going to have a really tough time if they get an early-than-expected exit.  Rob's expression when he realized he was getting voted off is one that stays engraved in my mind for some reason, but I can only imagine being such a "big name" and getting so much hype about your game, doing extremely well in your respective season (by today's standards, Rob would be in the running for the million), and then have it all cut short.  It's like tainting a legacy, especially since Rob did play key roles in how his season played out.  I've always liked him.  I don't understand why S8 didn't have 20 contestants, and then they could have had two tribes.  It was an AS season, so why not just throw in 2 more.  There were certainly others from Africa, Marquesas, and Thailand (my least favorite season) that I would have liked to see get a second chance.

I think they did it to split up the Tagi and Africa alliance plus up  to that point they hadn't had 20 contestants. I do agree I wouldn't have minded seeing Kelly Goldsmith, Sean or Helen play again. Oddly enough the two alternates were Sandra and Ken from Thailand. I always thought the latter was an odd choice.

and Jeff's label "best never to win".

Probst did a round table discussion with former Survivor players at the beginning of this season (Sandra, Parvati, Cochran, and Rob C.), and he mentioned that he said that (but he said "smartest never to win", at least at the round table), and asked Rob if he agreed, Rob said that if he's honest with himself, he would have to give that honor to Cirie, because she made it far twice, but he would appreciate it if Jeff would keep saying it.

• Love 1

I don't think that scenario would've played out, considering both Sandra and Courtney said post-show that if Russell had gone at the Tribal Council that claimed Tyson, then Rob and Tyson wouldn't have stayed for much longer.  They would've turned on them immediately afterwards with Parvati, Danielle, and Jerri's votes.

You mind pointing me towards where that was said? I don't think that really jives with the dynamics of the season. 

Big mistake by producers in All-Stars , I think they should had an entire tribe of winners. Imagine a tribe of Richard, Brian, Ethan, Sandra (or Vecepia), Jenna M, and Tina. If they had gone with that, you would have practically guaranteed a couple of winners making the jury and possibly one or two making a serious run at the game. 

I always hear conflicting things about Sandra when it comes to All-Stars, one was that she didn't make it, the other was that she couldn't make it because she was nursing injuries from Pearl Islands. Anybody have any concrete information? 

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't know why nobody ever mentions the scene where Tyson and Parvati are talking, by the well if I remember?

I just went looking for this scene on Amazon Prime. (I had already decided to re-watch the season as a primer for Second Chances.) I think you must mean when Parvati is answering a direct question by Probst on critiquing Tyson at TC.  I can't find a scene of those two actually talking.  It's a fair point and good analysis that she was reinforcing that Tyson was indeed probably getting votes.  I had overlooked that.  But I still think that vote was mostly Russell's doing.  He clearly saw that it was going to be a 3-3 split.  Now what I wonder is if Russell got extremely lucky that Tyson was one of three who was voting for him or if he knew that. He must have known, but how?  If he overheard Rob talking during that strategy session, they didn't show it.  I can only guess that  Russell knew Rob would vote for him, meaning that Tyson  was suppose to as well.  But that was amazing that he could pinpoint it with such accuracy.   

Edited by vb68

I always hear conflicting things about Sandra when it comes to All-Stars, one was that she didn't make it, the other was that she couldn't make it because she was nursing injuries from Pearl Islands. Anybody have any concrete information?

According to her interviews over the years she was too sick to compete, but one of the spoilers that leaked while All-Stars was filming showed that her and Ken from Thailand were alternates. I think she did confirm that she was an alternate. She has said she was cut for Micronesia. Rupert asked her on the Pearl Islands Reunion show that was on RHAP that he saw her and her daughter in LA for BvW casting and that him and Laura were disappointed they weren't on the island together. She said that casting wanted her and Parvati to come back for something bigger. I think casting really likes her.   I remember Nicole and Rob were asking her about her husband during an interview she did on RHAP a few weeks after HvV and she mentioned how Lynn Spillman asked her if they would ever consider doing The Amazing Race. She said it would be very hard for her husband to get time off due to his Military commitments.

I think they did it to split up the Tagi and Africa alliance plus up  to that point they hadn't had 20 contestants. I do agree I wouldn't have minded seeing Kelly Goldsmith, Sean or Helen play again. Oddly enough the two alternates were Sandra and Ken from Thailand. I always thought the latter was an odd choice.

I think they could have come up with 20 good candidates (I mean, if they can include Amber and Jenna...) but I can understand it may have felt like over-saturating.  4 Borneo, 5 Outback, 3 Africa, 2 Marquesas, 1 Thailand, 2 Amazon, and 1 PI.  Perhaps waiting until the milestone 10th season would have been better to do an AS season.  I was always floored Kelly Wiglesworth wasn't even asked.  I could see her turning it down, but not to even get asked back, when your the first ever RUP?  I figured they'd want the original Tagi 4 duking it out again, and since the theme of AS turned out to be revenge, she and Sue could have gone at it with each other.  Mike Skupin and Paschal English were two others that I would have bet money on seeing return for that season.  I know Mike was offered a chance and cut, but I don't know about Paschal.  I don't remember ever seeing his name even mentioned when it comes to returnee seasons.  

I never heard about Ken being an alternate, but yeah, totally random choice.  

but I don't know about Paschal.  I don't remember ever seeing his name even mentioned when it comes to returnee seasons.

I always thought  that the way he collapsed at the end of Marquesas was probably a big factor in him not ever returning.  Whether he didn't want to or the show had some concerns with him, I don't know.  It could have been mutual.   I remember reading at the time that it scared CBS, who insisted there be more food rewards going forward or something.  Did that season have a food auction?   I think they became more common after that.

I never heard about Ken being an alternate, but yeah, totally random choice.

I haven't thought about that (or Ken in general to be honest) in years, but yeah I remember that.

(edited)

Paschal had ethical issues (to say the least) pretty recently.  Was sleeping with an attorney who had cases before him.  So that's why he wasn't up this time.

I heard about those, from a few years ago right?  When it came to the original AS season, though, I was surprised he wasn't up for consideration as a returnee.  He got the short end of the stick from the first ever rock draw, which TPTB didn't realize wouldn't work in a final 4 setting.  Maybe he was asked but declined.  I don't know if Paschal had any lingering health issues that would have made him or TPTB hesitant, but I do remember him passing out after he was voted off.  It must have been pretty bad, since he couldn't make it to the final 3 TC.  Marquesas was supposed to be the "back to basics" season.  I remember it being heavily hyped in the promos that it was going back to the beach, and they were being given the bare minimum to survive.  They didn't have an auction that season, and I don't recall the food rewards being that plentiful back then, or people being allowed to share so much.  I don't know if it's the health issues or the whiny issues why they started giving away more food.  Marquesas, too, IIRC had to be careful about their drinking water.  I don't know why I felt like that was an issue, though I may be getting it mixed up.  I know both the Outback and Africa seasons had to be extra vigilant with boiling their water.  Beyond the original AS season, I can see why someone like Paschal might have fallen through the cracks.  Not the original lovable old guy like Rudy (who was lovable in his own grumpy way) and there have been many more that have come after him that could fit that role.

Edited by LadyChatts

It's hard for me to get interested about Pascal when Rodger Bingham hasn't been asked back yet. That always been kinda stunning to me. I mean even with season 31, Jeff V and Kimmi were actually both fairly minor characters in Outback. How Rodger didn't get a return call in the past 29 seasons, I'll never know. 

• Love 1

I just went looking for this scene on Amazon Prime. (I had already decided to re-watch the season as a primer for Second Chances.) I think you must mean when Parvati is answering a direct question by Probst on critiquing Tyson at TC.  I can't find a scene of those two actually talking.  It's a fair point and good analysis that she was reinforcing that Tyson was indeed probably getting votes.  I had overlooked that.

Hmm, maybe it was a secret scene.  I remember it being at the top of the episode, but maybe I've spliced in a secret scene in my memory.  Tyson asked her what she was doing and she said something like "well you better hope it all goes according to plan or your name might be coming up..."  Just the two of them, in the jungle, maybe by the well.  (Or maybe I've finally cracked and I hallucinated it.)

(edited)

It's hard for me to get interested about Pascal when Rodger Bingham hasn't been asked back yet. That always been kinda stunning to me. I mean even with season 31, Jeff V and Kimmi were actually both fairly minor characters in Outback. How Rodger didn't get a return call in the past 29 seasons, I'll never know. 

For the first AS season, I can understand, since Outback had more reps than any other represented.  It's not the way I would have done it, but I think if TPTB had it their way, almost the entire AS cast would have been Outback people.  It seems as though Rodger was in consideration for a lot of the alumni seasons, including Guatemala (which I always thought was just a gimme for Stephenie and Bobby Jon since they tanked so badly in their previous season-I didn't know other formers were up for consideration).  That is of course, assuming the internet isn't lying to me about that.  I am surprised he has yet to yield an invite back, and I wonder if he would accept at this point.  Considering the themes of the returnee seasons, I can begin to see why he hasn't gotten asked back, especially after the being cut from the first AS season.

Speaking of the Outback season, I'm surprised the chef who couldn't make rice, Keith Famie, has never returned.  He is another one whose name I've never even seen brought up as being a contender.  I know he wasn't in the running for the popularity award, but that certainly hasn't stopped them from bringing back unlikable players before.

Edited by LadyChatts

Hmm, maybe it was a secret scene.  I remember it being at the top of the episode, but maybe I've spliced in a secret scene in my memory.  Tyson asked her what she was doing and she said something like "well you better hope it all goes according to plan or your name might be coming up..."  Just the two of them, in the jungle, maybe by the well.  (Or maybe I've finally cracked and I hallucinated it.)

Nah, I definitely saw it as well. It was a secret scene. 

I actually ran across that scene in a comment thread on a RHAP podcast in the last month or so (and there is no way I can recall which thread, sorry).  You weren't hallucinating!

I'm surprised that neither John Carroll or Tammy Leitner have ever returned.  Both seemed like very competitive people.

And it would never happen, but I would get a kick out of seeing Gabriel Cade again.

After Marquesas,Tammy Leitner worked for a couple of different CBS affiliates as a journalist. She works for NBC now, but I think as a former CBS employee, she'd be unlikely to return. There's probably no hard and fast rule about it, but if she were to win or even get far along, the conspiracy theorists would be out in full force.

I'm surprised that neither John Carroll or Tammy Leitner have ever returned. Both seemed like very competitive people.

And it would never happen, but I would get a kick out of seeing Gabriel Cade again.

John said he pissed off Cbs after his season by wanting to use the survivor logo for a charity event and said that's why he'll never be asked back.
(edited)

John said he pissed off Cbs after his season by wanting to use the survivor logo for a charity event and said that's why he'll never be asked back.

I recall that.  Didn't he throw a fit because they wouldn't allow him to, and he thought they should have for charity?

Yeah, I think we learned from this season, you won't win against CBS, Survivor, and Probst.  I've seen Dan re-tweeting things on twitter from people calling Jeff and the show out for throwing Dan under the bus during the reunion.  I guess Dan doesn't anticipate being asked to return ever again, since blaming CBS for his personality is what got him railroaded at the reunion in the first place.  From the Marquesas season, aside from John, both Neleh and Sean have always been very vocal in wanting to return.  I saw a photo of Neleh recently, and she still looks amazing.  I am surprised that she hasn't gotten a return invite yet.  I would have loved to have seen her this coming season.  We needed more old school players.  Tammy was another that I thought might get asked back, but at this point, I doubt we would see her again (ties to CBS aside).  I always loved Gina and Hunter, two of the pre-merge boots.  Hunter has declined offers to come back, but I believe Gina has been considered and never made it to the final roster.  I was hoping with the tribe swap that season, Gina might have gotten a chance to make it to the merge at least.

Edited by LadyChatts
(edited)

I think I'm the only one, but I ended up really not liking Gina. The first time I watched that season, I didn't have an opinion on her one way or the other, but on rewatching it years later, I wondered why I hadn't noticed how bitter she was under what looked like a fakely sweet veneer. She was so mad at everyone on Maraamu after Hunter was voted out, and she badmouthed them constantly after the tribe shuffle. After the new Rotu lost an immunity challenge, she was so gleeful about seeing them at the next RC because she wanted to see which of Rob, Sean, or Vee got voted out and was probably more upset than Paschal was that it was actually Gabe that got the boot. I thought she was really terrible to Sarah too; she was constantly in Neleh's, Paschal's, and Kathy's ears about how Sarah was worthless. I know she and Sarah were in the minority after the shuffle, but her attacks seemed much more personal than strategic. Given how much the audience disliked Sarah and loved Gina, I thought it was an interesting contrast that when Sarah got voted off, in her final words she wished everyone good luck and said, "especially Gina," and when Gina got voted off, she wished good luck to Maraamu and specified that she meant "new Maraamu" and not her original tribemates. She didn't seem to understand that people were playing the game for themselves and not for her and Hunter.

Edited by fishcakes

Wasn't Hunter at one time one of the people who tested the challenges out for the show before they were deemed ready for the contestants?  I remember hearing that.  If so, he's probably ineligible.

I heard T-Bird on RHAP say she use to interview contestants for a station in  Atlanta.  I don't know if it was CBS, but I assumed it was for her to have that kind of access. She interviewed Rob.  Hmm.  That might be a conspiracy theory of one reason she didn't get on.

Rob was always one of those that stood out for me, he was so memorable in Amazon. I was bummed when he was a pre-merge boot in All Stars, I didn't discover his podcast until a couple of years ago though, he's an immensely talented broadcaster. I'm surprised a major radio channel hasn't snapped him up, but then again, I selfishly don't want them to, because then I wouldn't have his Survivor podcasts to look forward to.

• Love 2
(edited)

I get that he does RHAP, but I can't believe how popular he is and how much discussion Rob C gets.  I swear, I hardly remember this dude through 2 seasons at all.  

He was the narrator in Amazon and large portions of that season were told through his eyes so that kind of surprises me.  Not to the obnoxious point they've gotten lately (example: Tony, Russell) though.

EDIT: There are basically three things I would expect anyone who watched Amazon to come out of it with:

1) Heidi is a ridiculous joke of a human

2) Crazy Matt is crazy

3) An opinion about Cesternino.

And I think most people would be annoyed that Morasca won, but I don't think that's guaranteed.

Edited by enlightenedbum
  • Love 1

And I think it is very sad that Rob has pretty much closed the book on him ever playing Survivor again. Anytime it comes up he pretty much slams that door shut. 

Re: All Stars - if you listen to the Evolution of Strategy (all star chapter), he does go into why he reacted the way that he did, the things that he wanted to do, or wanted to target and thought he had more time (he would have pushed for Sue). and he had a theory (which is now pretty much a fact now) is that Episode 6-7 is when switch-ups happen. it was for Amazon (specifically), and it was again for All Stars, and had he made it, more than likely he would have been with 'safer' people. (and by safer, people who weren't gunning for him for being "smart") He also mentioned that being one of the smarter people (gameplay wise) on the island, rubbed Boston Rob the wrong way and grumped about it a lot. Being on the Chapera tribe really screwed him

My personal feeling is the producers really hated Thailand to the point that they didn't want more people that they could get away with. we know about Brian (pricing himself out of it), and Shii Ann coming back (ugh). Never knew about Ken being an alternate. I don't think Big Ted was ever going to come back (Ghandia thing/Racist comments thrown in FTC). Helen is someone I am surprised that never got invited back again (that I can recall). 

I think the problem occurred that they screwed up in Africa. The folk tale was that part of the compensation for the final four screw up was being on All Stars. And even without that, you did have big personalities and "how could they not be there" guys in Lex-Ethan-Tom. (Though T-Bird & Kelly got screwed. I think they both should have been there somehow).

If I were re-doing All Stars this is what I would have done

Borneo: 
Richard
Sue

Australia
Colby

Tina

Africa
Ethan
T-Bird/Kelly 

Marqueases
Vecipa 

John/Neleh 

Thailand

(Brian - somehow convince him  not to be uber douchy)

Helen

Amazon
Rob 
Deena

Pearl Islands

Rupert

Jon

That is 12 people who were the winners and most memorable people. Jenna doesn't get invited because of her mom, Sandra is removed because she was sick (her words) if she was the alternate, then I would add her). 

the 6 other people i would have invited back would have been literally, 1 per season. 3 girls, 3 guys. B: Wigglesworth, A: Varner (Skupin), AF: Lex, Or Tom, OR T-Bird, M: Boston Rob, T: (No one), Am: Heidi, Pearl Islands: Savage

I think that cast would have been equally interesting, you have most of these players that were really strong game players, (a few "2nd-chances") and a majority of these people who did get far. There were some hard-er 'removals' (ie: Kathy). and Jerri etc, but i just have a feeling those people (minus Wigglesworth etc) would have gameplayed hard without this whole "ELIMINATE THE WINNERS. (you could also have a winners tribe here)

• Love 1
(edited)

And I think it is very sad that Rob has pretty much closed the book on him ever playing Survivor again. Anytime it comes up he pretty much slams that door shut.

I don't know if we'll ever hear it, but I'll bet he and Nicole were tempted by Blood vs. Water and there's like no chance the producers didn't at least ask.  But then she got pregnant and that settled the matter.

Edited by enlightenedbum
  • Love 1

I'm in the middle of evolution of strategy all stars chapter it's a good listen it you like behind the scenes dirt. I do wish his co host called rob out on his comments about Amber/rob dating before the game I know in the last few years he has backtracked on that.

I don't know if we'll ever hear it, but I'll bet he and Nicole were tempted by Blood vs. Water and there's like no chance the producers didn't at least ask.  But then she got pregnant and that settled the matter.

Oho that's true. Ah well. 

I'm in the middle of evolution of strategy all stars chapter it's a good listen it you like behind the scenes dirt. I do wish his co host called rob out on his comments about Amber/rob dating before the game I know in the last few years he has backtracked on that.

Amber/Boston Rob were dating before the show? (Or Ces?)

(edited)

I had heard that Amber and Rob hooked up, but weren't actually dating.  Amber said after the AS finale that she had been repulsed by Rob in previous encounters and refuted claims they were an item.  I just remember thinking the truth was probably in the middle, but there was some fairy tale aspect to their relationship on the show, so why ruin it.

I figured Rob was probably done with Survivor from a competitors stand point, but I always hold out hope.  I figure it would take something really huge for him to return.  However, he would have a target so big on his back you'd get blinded by it.  Either that or people would be afraid to go after him because of his standing in the Survivor community.

I think the problem occurred that they screwed up in Africa. The folk tale was that part of the compensation for the final four screw up was being on All Stars. And even without that, you did have big personalities and "how could they not be there" guys in Lex-Ethan-Tom. (Though T-Bird & Kelly got screwed. I think they both should have been there somehow).

I will always believe that screw up is primarily why Tom and Lex were cast, and not just because they were big characters or horrible at listening to their 'gut' and kicking off the wrong person because of it.  Kelly is the big thorn in my side as to how she's never been asked back.  I heard T-Bird got bumped for Tina during AS, and I would have much rather seen her.  Never been a big Tina fan.  I don't think TPTB anticipated AS going the way it did.  Not sure if they expected pre-game alliances at all, though they may not have expected previous winners to get targeted simply for winning, or people casting votes out of spite and revenge. 

My personal feeling is the producers really hated Thailand to the point that they didn't want more people that they could get away with. we know about Brian (pricing himself out of it), and Shii Ann coming back (ugh). Never knew about Ken being an alternate. I don't think Big Ted was ever going to come back (Ghandia thing/Racist comments thrown in FTC). Helen is someone I am surprised that never got invited back again (that I can recall).

If Brian hadn't been such a demanding prick about returning to AS I fully believe he would have been cast.  I remember, when Thailand was about to premiere, hearing rumors that production came home disappointed by how the season went.  At the time, I thought how horrible for the cast to be hearing remarks like that, but after watching the season, I totally got it.  That was the first year Jeff hosted the reunion show, and I remember him singling out Stephanie with her audition tape, and asking where that girl was.  I think that was the case that season of big personalities in casting, but the personalities fell flat once they were on the show.  It was also the first year they did a school yard pick for the tribes, and I wonder if the season would have fared any better if they were divided up differently.  Helen, Jan, Brian, Clay, Ted, and to a lesser extent Jake, all seemed like possible candidates to return for future editions.  I only include Ted because he made it to the final 5.  Aside from the Ghandia drama, he seemed like one of the lesser offensive people out there (it's been a really long time since I've watched this season, so I may be remembering him wrong). 

I agree with your thoughts about the S5 rep for AS.  Shii-Ann seemed to have a strong concept of the game during S5, but seemed more withdrawn during AS.  However, she was willing to take the huge risk during her original season by ditching her tribe at the merge and taking her chances with the other side (which backfired since Jeff tricked them with the fake merge).  She was one of the more fun personalities that dreary season, so I can see why she was included.  I will say, over the passage of time, and looking at the list, there are 3 people that I would like to see back just to see how they've changed: Erin, Penny, and Robb (with 2 bs).  I know Robb was an obnoxious hot headed punk who had a break through with his tribe prior to getting voted off.  But given all the time that's passed, it'd be interesting to see him come into the game now with a (possibly) more mature attitude.  I liked both Penny and Erin, and I felt under different circumstances we might have seen a little more strategic gaming from them, especially Penny.

Edited by LadyChatts

I listened to RHAP since his first season (HvV) and my impression is that in an ideal world, he would play again in a NY minute but there are several factors why he says he won't. In no particular order -

1. he was/is spooked by his early boot in ASS and thinks he will always be targeted in any AS, just like Yauman in FvF and Cirie in HvV

2. there was several yrs where CBS forgot about him as more "Rob C" types have gone on. It is only in recent yrs as the podcast has gotten bigger and bigger that Probst have started to acknowledge him

3. while his wife Nicole won't outright say no, she is kinda high maintenance and will really not like manning the fort esp now that they have a baby

4. - newer reason - now that Rob is a self-employed podcaster, he can't not podcast for at least a season and not lose momentum that he can now no longer afford to lose

• Love 1

I am watching Cook Islands right now, and I can't understand why Penner was almost universally distrusted even before the mutiny.  Based on the edit, he didn't seem to be doing any more or less than anyone else as far as strategy goes.

I have a small suspicion that part of that distrust was based on his physical appearance.  Maybe if his eyes were slightly rounder, brown or a less vivid shade of blue, then people would have been more willing to trust him.  There have been many psych studies about how first impressions and physical appearance influence perception, especially in the area of trustworthiness so it is an interesting thought.

I wonder how physical appearance has helped or hindered other players' games, too.

• Love 1
I am watching Cook Islands right now, and I can't understand why Penner was almost universally distrusted even before the mutiny.  Based on the edit, he didn't seem to be doing any more or less than anyone else as far as strategy goes.

He's a really smart dude, loud and outspoken, somewhat rude, and sneaky without being super stealthy (see: chicken thievery in the first five minutes, which is sort of a metaphor for his whole Survivor existence).

• Love 4

A'ight. I took a break from watching past seasons because WA was on, but I'll resume now (midway through the first All Stars).

Here's my rankings, so far:

7. Borneo (1): I'm not being fair, but so many naive players really put a damper on this season

It was the first season of Survivor - it was expected that virtually all of the players would be naive.  I haven't watched the season in a long time, but I thought it was really interesting the first time because people were trying to figure out how to play the game.  I remember there was a lot of discussion over whether or not it was okay to have an alliance - a lot of people thought your vote should be an independent thing based.  And then there was the brilliant Dr. Sean who felt that using the alphabet was the right way to vote.  Hatch was the only one who came into the game planning on forming an alliance and using that to further himself in the game.

Rudy also laid out one of the most important strategy rules - if you don't fit in with the others on your tribe you have to adjust, not expect the others to adjust to you.  Rudy started as the odd man out, an older dude with very little in common with his tribemates.  He found a way to fit in, even setting aside his homophobia to work with Hatch.  There are many, many players who still haven't learned Rudy's very basic message.

What I also liked about the season was it was all new - they read the corny tree mail messages every single time.  Nobody knew a tribal merge was coming.  Less food was provided so knowing how to fish (and hoarding that knowledge to yourself) was a viable strategy to be a "provider" and thus valuable to your tribe.  The cast may have been largely naive, but they were fun and were in it for the adventure, not with a goal of becoming reality TV stars.

• Love 4

Whenever I do my rankings I always leave out Borneo and Outback parts don't hold up well over time, but it's hard to replicate the excitement that was going on while it was airing. It's the biggest survivor will ever be.

• Love 1

It's even funny to watch the earlier season when they weren't even color coded. The first time I can recall the tribes being color coded was Tocantins. I could be wrong but that is when Survivor became modern (IMO) along with the elaborate challenges. It will be interesting to see if they use previous challenges for Season 31. What is old is new. LOL!!!

• Love 1