Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Talk: The Tribe Has Spoken

• Start Topic

20 minutes ago, Oholibamah said:

Yeah, Tyson sucks. I didn't mind him for most of BvW until the Tribal where Katie went home. His truly nasty colours couldn't be hidden by the editing there. 

You're my spirit animal for watching the seasons so quickly. You have my kinda stamina for binge watching!

Yeah...I binge watched all of  Breakin Bad in just a few days. After I get my fill of Survivor I will watch Stranger Things... don't know what it is, but my kids keep bugging me to watch it.

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Oholibamah said:

Yeah, Tyson sucks. I didn't mind him for most of BvW until the Tribal where Katie went home. His truly nasty colours couldn't be hidden by the editing there. 

The first Blood vs. Water made me rethink my belief that some players will never be able to win Survivor, because after accidentally arranging his own ouster in Heroes vs. Villains, I had Tyson pegged as one of those players. I have always thought (and will always think) Tyson switching his vote to Parvati was dumber than Erik Reichenbach giving up immunity in Fans vs. Favorites and is, in fact, the dumbest move in Survivor history. The women at least had to promise Erik that they wouldn't vote him out. They also had to make a pitch for why it would be a good move. He was dumb to believe any of it, but at least there was a justification. Same with JT slipping Russell the idol—a stupidly risky move, but had his reading of the situation been correct, there would have been a benefit to him and his alliance at the merge. Thirty seconds of thought is all it takes to realize that there was no potential upside to Tyson switching his vote from Russell to Parvati. If someone who made a move that unjustifiably bone-headed can win the game, then there's hope for all of us—even Russell Hantz.

• Love 3

I had Tyson winning S20 before the season aired because I felt he deserved to be there the least. Of course, he'd get his own dumb ass voted odd. Of course, he'd get a third chance. Of course, he'd win there. He wasn't Section 8 like his mentor Benjamin, but he was still a pantload in any of his three seasons.

12 hours ago, Hera said:

The first Blood vs. Water made me rethink my belief that some players will never be able to win Survivor, because after accidentally arranging his own ouster in Heroes vs. Villains, I had Tyson pegged as one of those players. I have always thought (and will always think) Tyson switching his vote to Parvati was dumber than Erik Reichenbach giving up immunity in Fans vs. Favorites and is, in fact, the dumbest move in Survivor history. The women at least had to promise Erik that they wouldn't vote him out. They also had to make a pitch for why it would be a good move. He was dumb to believe any of it, but at least there was a justification. Same with JT slipping Russell the idol—a stupidly risky move, but had his reading of the situation been correct, there would have been a benefit to him and his alliance at the merge. Thirty seconds of thought is all it takes to realize that there was no potential upside to Tyson switching his vote from Russell to Parvati. If someone who made a move that unjustifiably bone-headed can win the game, then there's hope for all of us—even Russell Hantz.

Yes... this.

So Cagayan is interesting but I can't stand the roidish Tony and I did a peek to see that he wins...uggghhh. He and Sarah are on 34...blech

Edited by Lamima
14 hours ago, Hera said:

The first Blood vs. Water made me rethink my belief that some players will never be able to win Survivor, because after accidentally arranging his own ouster in Heroes vs. Villains, I had Tyson pegged as one of those players. I knowhave always thought (and will always think) Tyson switching his vote to Parvati was dumber than Erik Reichenbach giving up immunity in Fans vs. Favorites and is, in fact, the dumbest move in Survivor history. The women at least had to promise Erik that they wouldn't vote him out. They also had to make a pitch for why it would be a good move. He was dumb to believe any of it, but at least there was a justification. Same with JT slipping Russell the idol—a stupidly risky move, but had his reading of the situation been correct, there would have been a benefit to him and his alliance at the merge. Thirty seconds of thought is all it takes to realize that there was no potential upside to Tyson switching his vote from Russell to Parvati. If someone who made a move that unjustifiably bone-headed can win the game, then there's hope for all of us—even Russell Hantz.

You  know, I'd always thought Tyson's move was bad, thought not the worst ever, but really, if he had been able to secure himself an alliance of Russell, had Parvati been voted out as he had expected, he could have found himself in a better position than number who knows what in a 6 or 7 people alliance with no clear hierarchy at the time.

As I see it know, he was playing a game of win or lose. He lost, and he chose too early for sure to vote against the interest of his alliance. But still, he had the right idea of securing an extra ally, not from his alliance,  by both eliminating his (I mean Russell's) closest ally and keeping him (Russell again) in the game. Of course he messed up, big time. And maybe his vote was based on him seeing Russell as some kind of Coach character - which could not have been further from the truth.

So, I wasn't really surprised that he controlled the game his third season because that's what he'd be trying to do all along, be it aligning with Coach who was a joke but controlled votes without controlling respect of the other players, or for his attempt at not playing according to Rob's idea and, as he saw it, keep the vote as if was going to be, albeit tilted towards Parvati rather than Russell, while gaining a loyal ally.

[not sure the above is very clear, I know what I mean to say but not sure  I managed to convey the idea I meant to... - long day, low communication skills left - if need be, I'll try to explain better another day soon ;)]        

• Love 4

I really liked Tony. I thought Woo was going to win all season but was delighted with Tony's win since he really hustled his ass off. It was Kass that I couldnt stand but I've come to appreciate her contribution to this season after all these years. Cagayan is Top 5 Baby! for me. (Actually it's #2) I've seen it about 5 times and have the Evolution of Strategy chapter which is also hilarious.

• Love 1

Tony got to the end by luck... luck of the draw. He drew the correct color rock and got that 'special' idol. Gave him all the power. The show interfered in the outcome.... dumb show. He did hustle and he was super slick but too cut throat just like Russell Hantz . I don't know if I hate those two more or the two tattoo douchebros of Kaoh Rong more. And Abi Maria... hate her too.

Now I see what the animosity was between Cass and Spencer was on Cambodia. Watched that live and was clueless why they hated each other.

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 4

Why didn't Tony give Trish his regular idol and then use the 'special' idol for himself if needed? He was totally and completely for himself. He kept that 'special' idol because he told folks he could use it at final four TC. So they won't vote for him at F4 TC. At least Russell Hantz had a number 2 (and number 3...both ladies) that he was loyal to all the way through.

3 hours ago, thehepburn said:

I really liked Tony. I thought Woo was going to win all season but was delighted with Tony's win since he really hustled his ass off. It was Kass that I couldnt stand but I've come to appreciate her contribution to this season after all these years. Cagayan is Top 5 Baby! for me. (Actually it's #2) I've seen it about 5 times and have the Evolution of Strategy chapter which is also hilarious.

I really liked Tony too (although I do think it's too soon for him to return, but Probst et al. don't consult me on these things), but the season itself isn't one of my favorites because there's too much dead weight and an appalling lack of strategy on almost everyone's part but Tony's. I give Trish credit for making a couple of good moves, but she was determined to ride Tony to the end, no matter how many times he showed her she shouldn't trust him, so I was happy to have that be her undoing. Kass was just ... delusional. I mean, she had a lot of other faults, but the day she told her husband, "I'm hated, but I'm not a goat," made me wish so hard for her to get to FTC and get zero votes.

Just saw the Shiren howler monkey scene. And WTF is with her walking around with no bottoms on???? Why no bottoms as opposed to no top or completely naked or, hey here's the best idea, completely covered???

Edited by Lamima
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

It's still hard to fathom how Probst thought they were the most likable cast ever. 

Really... how on earth?!?!?! There's like 3 likable people out of the lot.

I suppose it could be editing... but not sure the nastiness I am watching is just a fluke clip editors caught and the rest of the time these cast members are lovely intelligent kind sane people. Might have to watch all their Ponderosa to see how the act when out of the game.

Edited by Lamima

Don't forget he told the cast while filming that he wished he could bring them all back again to play.  Once Hali got voted off, I knew it was beyond going downhill.  We were past that point already.  The Ponderosa's were okay this season.  I liked it better when it was just Hali/Jenn/Joe.  I wish they had included more footage (I guess some of the cast made a music video while they were there).  Would have loved to have seen that, no matter how cringe worthy it was.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, thehepburn said:

I dont think Probst said that the S30 assholes were the "most likable". Just that they were his favorites and that they played hard pounf for pound, or something like that.

I definitely remember him saying he thought they'd be the most likable. But like @enlightenedbum said, his tastes are so different than most's and he obviously doesn't really get that. Well, he might now!

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 2

Here's what I found on EW:

The twist brings to mind last spring’s Brains vs. Brawn vs. Beauty battle of Survivor: Cagayan, which turned out to be one of the show’s best seasons ever. According to Probst, this one—which was filmed in Nicaragua last summer—could top it. “Person for person and pound for pound, I will say that this is the best group of people I think we’ve ever had,” says Probst. “That doesn’t mean there aren’t duds in the cast, but if you just had to take one entire group of people, I love this group. And I don’t often come up front anymore and say I really like a season because I know that that’s very biased and it’s my own opinion. But just my own Jeff Probst opinion—I have not seen a second of footage cut yet. Just based on my experience, this was one of my favorite seasons of all time.”

http://ew.com/article/2014/12/17/survivor-worlds-apart-jeff-probst/

I personally think Probst just loved how the blue collar shlub beat the odds and won one for the little guy, and god bless America and all.  And overall it really was a decent cast, losers excepted.  

Thx, @Winston9-DT3

Yeah, I knew I remembered that "pound for pound" and "his favorite" right. He would never try to dictate what cast is the "most likable" anymore; he's too smart to do that. And he is entitled to his shitty opinions, just like anyone else.

Edited by thehepburn

I think the fact that he hadn't seen a second of footage probably had a lot to do with it. I seem to remember they thought Will was going to be some sort of loveable goofball and Dan would be Rupert... 5.0? Is that what we're up to now? 

Finished that sh!t show. Gah. Final TC and the reunion show were interesting. Many of the bigger unlikables were such a time suck...blech.

I think I'll go back and watch the season Cochran won. Didn't see that season and i hear his name a lot.

“Person for person and pound for pound, I will say that this is the best group of people I think we’ve ever had,” says Probst. “That doesn’t mean there aren’t duds in the cast, but if you just had to take one entire group of people, I love this group."

I defend Probst on a lot of things, but this statement leads me to believe the man is clinically insane.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, fishcakes said:

“Person for person and pound for pound, I will say that this is the best group of people I think we’ve ever had,” says Probst. “That doesn’t mean there aren’t duds in the cast, but if you just had to take one entire group of people, I love this group."

I defend Probst on a lot of things, but this statement leads me to believe the man is clinically insane.

Seriously. THAT cast? Especially with the season we just finished, which had some odd gameplay and maybe not the most exciting finish, but a truly likable cast on the whole, I find his characterization of the Worlds Apart group so tough to understand.

I think the fact that he hadn't seen a second of footage probably had a lot to do with it. I seem to remember they thought Will was going to be some sort of loveable goofball and Dan would be Rupert... 5.0? Is that what we're up to now? 

Since this is Probst we're talking about, I'm going to assume that JOE (said with little cartoon hearts floating around it) blinded him to the rest of the cast. 

And Will was one of the bigger misfires in casting in awhile, he had so much goodwill coming in based on that stupid viral video, which did make him seem like a fun guy. The reality of what a useless lump he was initially and then the truly nasty outbursts later were such a contrast. 

Dan...ugh. I couldn't stand him from his very first moment, so I can't even imagine anyone thinking he was going to be a likeable character. That overly theatrical speaking voice, the delusions about his own personality, everything about him grates. 

At least it took me until his SECOND appearance to loathe Rupert, lol. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Seriously. THAT cast? Especially with the season we just finished, which had some odd gameplay and maybe not the most exciting finish, but a truly likable cast on the whole, I find his characterization of the Worlds Apart group so tough to understand.

Since this is Probst we're talking about, I'm going to assume that JOE (said with little cartoon hearts floating around it) blinded him to the rest of the cast. 

And Will was one of the bigger misfires in casting in awhile, he had so much goodwill coming in based on that stupid viral video, which did make him seem like a fun guy. The reality of what a useless lump he was initially and then the truly nasty outbursts later were such a contrast. 

Dan...ugh. I couldn't stand him from his very first moment, so I can't even imagine anyone thinking he was going to be a likeable character. That overly theatrical speaking voice, the delusions about his own personality, everything about him grates. 

I'll go down the cast that we got to know...

Niña was whiny. Joaquin was a douche. The girls, Jenn and Hali, did ostracize Niña. Hali was not good at challenges. Jenn, after Niña left, became one of my most likeable though it was sad that she gave up on the game. Lindsey was abrasive and judgmental. Shirin was plain old crazy and walked around naked with crazy Max. Shirin was also whiny and a time suck, an all about me person. Tyler was a big dud. Dan was everything you all said about him above and a big misogynist. Will was as well. And will was a big oaf who sucked at challenges. Rodney... my very least favorite.... hate him like I hate Russell and Tony and Culpepper. I just don't like those meat heads on a short fuse types. And Rodney and his judgmental crap... his vitriol for Texas for example. He sucked at challenges and strategy as did the other oafs mentioned above. And their bully tactics drove me nuts... especially Rodney with his trying to get someone to give up their reward for him, icky. Sierra and Mama C were kind of duds, no strategy and they went with the wrong alliance. I kept thinking how stupid they were. And Mike. I was rooting for him though he was annoying too with his voice and screaming at everyone to work hard. Plus his move at the auction... though in the end he didn't do it. He should have went for it or not but his changing his mind screwed him. Though he was already in the crosshairs. I did like to see him keep winning and make it to the end and then win. Joe... well I love me some Joe.

Watching South Pacific now to see who Cochran is. Was going to watch Caramoan but folks on here said it was not a good one to watch. And Russell's nephew is on South Pacific.

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Joe, Mike being the winner in ultimate underdog fashion, villainous Dan and Rodney, the Will vs Shirin moment, two great blindsides, and Mike's auction moment likely sum up why Probst liked this season and cast.  The cast as a whole was either pretty bad or unmemorable.  I think Jeff's excitement at the theme might have blinded him to how terrible the cast was.  

I couldn't stand Dan at first sight.  And his 'you're gonna remember me' with his creepy grin in the opening moment made me hope he was going to be home that night (hey, we don't often forget first boots, so he would have been right!)  Damn white collars just had to pick that 50 piece puzzle and put Shirin in charge of putting it together.  Had they picked a simpler puzzle, maybe they would have won and BC would have gone to TC.  I do believe the first vote would have been Dan.

I think Will would have been okay had it not been for his blow up at Shirin.  That wasn't just a typical blow up, either, but it was about the only offensive thing I can remember him doing.  Frankly I almost could respect his game in being a flip flopper if it hadn't given the BC tribe the edge.  Rodney was obnoxious, too (I remember him applauding when Shirin got voted off, and giving some stupid little wave when Lindsey went).  Though his reaction to Joaquin's blindside probably ranks as one of the greatest ever.

All in all, I rank this a bottom 5 season.    

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Lamima said:

Watching South Pacific now to see who Cochran is. Was going to watch Caramoan but folks on here said it was not a good one to watch.

I liked Caramoan a lot.  

I don't think Brandon is an evil guy, but there's no way he should have been allowed on the show once, much less twice. I think Coach said in a confessional that Brandon clearly had a lot of demons. I caught such an awful vibe from his Dad from little bit of screen time he got during the family visit and at the reunion that it's not hard for me to imagine where those demons came from.

• Love 5

I agree that Brandon was out of his elements so to speak. Can't believe they brought him back again.

Speaking of returnees... how many times do you all think they, the show, should bring back one person? I think several have played four times. I think it should be three strikes and you're out. And Sandra who has won twice, she should be done. I hope she's first to go on season 34.

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 1

Three shots. That's all you should get. Sorry, Cirie, but S20 counts, even if Tom pulled the rug from under you. I mean, I'll probably celebrate if she wins, because I consider her to be "good people."

Brandon was Section 8. And putting him next to Philip was a huge mistake. That asshole can drive a teetotaler to drink, and a pious man to question God's plans.

Cochran made for a decent beta male character. The problem was his plan for the first season, which boiled down to: "1. BETRAY TRIBE. 2. ???????????? 3. WIN."

• Love 3

Brandon played with Phillip on his second go???? Yikes. What was that season called... Crazy Island, One Flew Over The Coocoo's Nest, .....was Shirin also on that season? Was their tribe called Wackadoodle????? Sorry, that's mean of me. I feel bad for Brandon and Shirin even and Phillip a bit as they had tough childhoods.

Stopped watching South Pacific. It was BORING. Will watch a bit of Caramoan, if nothing else but to see Malcolm. OMG... that's the Crazy Island season with Phillip and Brandon. Definitely watching some of it.

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 1

Caramoan is Crazy Island. Makes for some entertaining TV. Shoot they just needed Abi Maria and Shirin and wowza. And poor Brandon was helped off the ledge by Phillip and Phillip didn't do it intentionally. It was like dousing an oil fire on my stove with water.

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 2

Putting that Caramoam favorites tribe together was one of the worst casting misfires ever.  I had questioned who exactly does the screening for contestants before that season, but after Brandon's meltdown, it was clear he never should have been brought back out, let alone let it get to that point.  Someone really dropped the ball for the sake of entertainment over a persons well being.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3
59 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Putting that Caramoam favorites tribe together was one of the worst casting misfires ever.  I had questioned who exactly does the screening for contestants before that season, but after Brandon's meltdown, it was clear he never should have been brought back out, let alone let it get to that point.  Someone really dropped the ball for the sake of entertainment over a persons well being.

I keep thinking that... like why did the show do that????? I bet they had crew standing watch 24/7.

Edited by Lamima

One of the rumors for that season which I totally believe is that Brandon was not voted out but was removed by production because he basically lost at camp. That whole tribal council right at the challenge was just a sham to cover it up.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:08 AM, Lamima said:

I'll go down the cast that we got to know...

Niña was whiny. Joaquin was a douche. The girls, Jenn and Hali, did ostracize Niña. Hali was not good at challenges. Jenn, after Niña left, became one of my most likeable though it was sad that she gave up on the game. Lindsey was abrasive and judgmental. Shirin was plain old crazy and walked around naked with crazy Max. Shirin was also whiny and a time suck, an all about me person. Tyler was a big dud. Dan was everything you all said about him above and a big misogynist. Will was as well. And will was a big oaf who sucked at challenges. Rodney... my very least favorite.... hate him like I hate Russell and Tony and Culpepper. I just don't like those meat heads on a short fuse types. And Rodney and his judgmental crap... his vitriol for Texas for example. He sucked at challenges and strategy as did the other oafs mentioned above. And their bully tactics drove me nuts... especially Rodney with his trying to get someone to give up their reward for him, icky. Sierra and Mama C were kind of duds, no strategy and they went with the wrong alliance. I kept thinking how stupid they were. And Mike. I was rooting for him though he was annoying too with his voice and screaming at everyone to work hard. Plus his move at the auction... though in the end he didn't do it. He should have went for it or not but his changing his mind screwed him. Though he was already in the crosshairs. I did like to see him keep winning and make it to the end and then win. Joe... well I love me some Joe.

Watching South Pacific now to see who Cochran is. Was going to watch Caramoan but folks on here said it was not a good one to watch. And Russell's nephew is on South Pacific.

How could you forget Vince, the Coconut Vendor??

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Oh yeah.... the older creeper who was a little too into Jenn. Glad they dumped him rather quickly. He would have been painful to watch episode after episode.

3 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Never forget.

Sad_Vince_small.jpg

As a coconut vendor, he seeks truth. Just don't talk to Joe in front of him, because it makes him angrysad.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Hera said:

Never forget.

Sad_Vince_small.jpg

As a coconut vendor, he seeks truth. Just don't talk to Joe in front of him, because it makes him angrysad.

LOL. He seemed older to me... maybe with his metal head hair all down and his clothes all dirty after a few days..... I thought he was like 30something and Jenn was about 22.

• Love 1