Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Navigating Litchfield Correctional Facility

• Start Topic

Questionfear, though it would kill my Babcia if she wasn't already dead if I told her this because you know how the Poles feel about the Russians, and she and my Dziadzio were concentration camp survivors who hated Russians more than they hated the Germans, she sounds like a bit like my Babcia did when she was still alive. I think that Kate Mulgrew is doing a decent job. Maybe not perfect, but passable. And the actress is so phenomenal that she somehow became my favorite character this season, which I never saw coming.

And as with I think literally everything on tv, if you're an expert or insider in whatever field is being depicted or covered, you probably have a lot of cringeworthy moments (I'm sure doctors and lawyers can't watch those shows without rolling their eyes). But if it passes the "refrigerator logic" for most viewers, that's good enough in general for tv/film. That covers accents, too, IMO.

The episode with the flooding was super tense!  I was fully expecting a riot to break at that point.  Speaking of which, I wonder if all that new riot equipment will come into play next year?  Caputo is already starting to crack with the stress of the new gig and has something to prove to the warden.

The whole season was super tense, what with the different races being against each other, plus all the talk about how poor the prisoners felt they were being treated, and then the isolated acts of violence, then we saw the riot gear show up, then the storm. I really thought the prison was going to explode at some point. I thought it was cool that it didn't happen, but then a bunch of other crazy shit did happen.

• Love 1

I preferred Season 2, but don't have a strong preference either way.

I do enjoy the other stories as much or more than ALex/Piper, who I just don't care about much.

I am still not clear if alex was really fleeing or just told Piper for that for whatever reason. Alex was still in her apartment, so she didn;t violate her parole, so what happens now? They can't throw her back in jail for a report from someone in jail that she was THINKING about parole violation.

Since the story doesn't seem to follow the book too closely and considering the "real" Piper was not in jail for that long (was it like 15 or 18 months or something), I wonder how long Piper will remain the focus of the show. 

They either have to deviate completely from the story eventually and write Piper out of the show almost entirely, at least in terms of her being in prison OR keep throwing her back in jail/extending her sentence for this to be believable for several more seasons.  Not all this can happen in such a short time. 

I loved them both, but I liked S2 slightly more. I'm not entirely sure why, but maybe it's because the guards were less skeezy.  Slightly less, but less nonetheless.  I was concerned about it going off the rails, as Weeds got progressively weirder, but I just loved it. 

I've been thinking about it a lot too since I finished it and I just love that there is a show full of so many different kinds of women.  It's great not because it's fulfilling some "check off the diversity boxes" kind of thing, but because it's diverse. The variety allows so much character growth and change and it's so interesting to NOT see the same young, not-poor, straight, white, Christian people that are in just about everything else.  Nothing wrong with the young, not-poor, straight, white, Christian people that do appear in this at all and I don't want to think of the people who don't fit those boxes as existing solely for my enjoyment, but I just loved seeing so many different people doing interesting things.

• Love 8

I'm going straight to the reply box in this thread, because I'm not finished yet, and I don't want to see spoilers.  The major difference I've noticed between the 2 seasons is that there is waaaaayyyy more nudity in Season 2.  I don't have a problem with it, it's just so much more of it.  Wonder why?  A conscious effort to titilate?  More reality? Fits into the context of the scenes?

I finished binge-watching last night.  I liked this season, but I think I prefer season one.  The whole Vee storyline was great in some places, bad in others, and maybe it's just because I binge-watched, but it seemed to go on WAY too long.  In some episodes it almost felt like an after-school special, where Poussey was the only kid who could see just how bad the Queen Bee was.  Wore thin after a while.

I really enjoyed Poussey, though; she was hands-down the best character this season.  I was surprised to find that I liked Alex this season, too.  Usually she isn't my cup of tea, but I actually missed her and feared for her safety.  Hoping Nicky gets a meatier storyline next season, because she's awesome.  Who ever suggested that Nicky and Pouseey hook up deserves a gold medal.

• Love 1

I've just finished watching the show and was pleasantly surprised with the quality of it. It's a great show, has some of the most interesting, three-dimensional characters on Tv right now. The actresses and actors are great, particularly Taylor Schilling, Kate Mulgrew and Uzo Aduba. Season one was masterful, I was hooked from the first episode and couldn't wait to see what will happen in the end. The storylines and characters dynamic, it all worked really well. So kudos for that.

That said, season two was a bit of a letdown. It was still good but not nearly as good as the first season. It was a bit dijointed and I've missed the focus on the protagonist - Piper, as she was the primary character I was interested in. They are all ok but she's the one who carries this show imo. Also, there were too many new characters (and the cast is already quite large), and Vee as a villain of the season didn't really work well enough. She was evil, yes, but couldn't quite reach the bar already set by Mendez and Pennsatucky, who I thought were both crazy scary in the first season and I genuinely feared for Piper's, Red's and Dayanara's wellbeings back then.

Anyway, I did like the episodes that focused more on Piper, Morello (her storlyine surprised me the most, a stalker?! never would've guessed), Rosa, Bennet and Dayanara, sister Jane, Sophia and few others. The ending of the season was alright, too.

But if they are filming third season, I hope they follow the recipe of season one. It was a winning formula.

• Love 1

I think I liked season 1 better. Although I may change my mind in about five minutes. It's difficult. When I began watching Season 1, I was new to the prison as was Piper and I felt like just as she was getting to know her way around the place and how it all worked, so was I. Even though Season 2 was great, the feeling I had getting to know everyone during the first season was a nice ride. 

Season 1 was worlds better. Season 2 didn't work for me so much so I think I'm skipping 3. 2 was dominated by Vee who I couldn't stand. I really missed having the Piper/Alex chemistry since there's no other interesting couples. Daya and the cop (can't even remember his name) are terrible. Sorry for the rant but I'm so disappointed I don't enjoy this show anymore.

I'm still depressed over Breaking Bad ending and now I have to wait until April for Game of thrones. I really want to find another show that is binge-watch worthy.

Oy.

• Love 1

I preferred season 1. It was truly a binge-watch for me, whereas season 2 I didn't feel that urgency to KEEP WATCHING MORE AND MORE. Season 1 felt more organically centered, whereas season 2 felt more scattered. I love Lorraine Toussaint, but Vee did essentially hijack the season - something that no one character really did last year. I like Piper, so I liked seeing the prison through her eyes and seeing her harden and change as a person. And I really, really enjoy the Piper/Alex fireworks (despite thinking Prepon is mediocre at best), so that aspect was sorely lacking in season 2. Season 1 had more Sofia, season 2 had more Poussey, both of which are good. But season 2 permanently soured me on Taystee, Crazy Eyes, and especially Black Cindy.

Verdict is in: I definitely preferred Season 1.

• Love 1

Not that this is the season 1 vs. season 2 vs. season 3 thread, but I do expect a bit of a return to form in season 3.  Vause will be back full time and I think that will bring more focus back to Piper.  Love her or hate her, she's the fulcrum of this teeter totter.  It just doesn't work as well for me without her at the center of it all.  Also I think next year's "big bad" will go back to being the prison/establishment a bit more, rather than a one-off villain, so the main source of tension will feel [to me] a little less out of left field.

• Love 2

While I did enjoy season 2 I greatly preferred season 1. Honestly my personal opinion is that the supporting characters from season one worked better as just supporting characters coming in every so often with their funny quips or adding to the show in other ways. I've seen this with other shows too and I hate to even bring up Glee since it's nowhere near the quality of OITNB. But I thought it worked well when characters like Brittany, Santana etc. had their funny lines and smaller roles that really added to the show then their roles were expanded and the quality went down because they worked better in the parts of the total package of the show that they played originally. I believe Piper and Taylor Schilling by extension worked as the star of the show with Alex/Laura Prepon as the other star if not so much a lead at least in terms of the Piper/Alex relationship. I know they had to work around Prepon's absence but I found myself not liking or bored by the other supporting characters having more of a presence while Piper blended into the background. I believe people are guest or supporting actors for a reason and people are leads for a reason and I wish the show would have stuck with the same format as season one. The middle episodes especially were lagging and missing those watercooler moments from season 1. There was no "I threw my pie for you" or chapel love scene that had everyone talking in season 1. I did think it picked up majorly starting with episode 9 when the focus turned back to Piper again and then Alex came back in episode 10 through the rest of the season plus all the major story arcs really got moving at that point. I'm hopeful for season 3 now that Prepon will be back fulltime. I know some people find Piper unlikeable and I realize she's no longer the new kid on the block so some things definitely had to change in season 2, but I think it was a more interesting bingeworthy show when the focus was on a main character and by extension a main relationship.

(edited)
I believe people are guest or supporting actors for a reason and people are leads for a reason and I wish the show would have stuck with the same format as season one.

Yeah, same.  It's an unpopular bordering on controversial opinion, but while second fiddle is absolutely crucial to the symphony, it's almost always second fiddle for a reason and almost always should stay second fiddle.  Had season 1 had some glaring problem, then by all means, fix it.  But when your season of television is an unmitigated critical and commercial success [and it was], I do not understand the impulse to tinker with the recipe.

I did think it picked up majorly starting with episode 9 when the focus turned back to Piper again and then Alex came back in episode 10 through the rest of the season plus all the major story arcs really got moving at that point.

I agree with that, too.  Episode 9 was a real step up for me and from that point on the season had better momentum moving towards the finale.  Didn't hurt that Vause was back, either.

Edited by bravelittletoaster
  • Love 1

Just finished watching the season. I love stalking the forums and getting everyone's perspective, so thank y'all!

Like others, I agree that the Daya/Bennett storyline is boring and dumb. Maybe it's the pregnancy and emotional swings, but every single episode- and sometimes even in an episode- her moods toward him seemed to swing dramatically and it got realllllllly tiresome for me. I just don't see how he could be that dumb and manipulated by her and her mother and all the other cholas. I'm ready for bennett to get transferred. 

Also, I agree that Vee did take up a lot of time this season, but c'mon, this is only Season 2 and there are so many stories to tell and only 13 hours in which to tell them all. And, it was explained in I think ep 12, that before Vee, things went along relativeley well, but after Vee, the whole prison was thrown into complete chaos. I think that was the point of the plot/character: to put everyone on edge and we see how far they get stretched/ban together.

I love the series. I love the writing. I love the characters. I love the conflicts because they do seem realistic (and although I have never been to prison, I have in the past been a guest of a local county for a period of time, and yes, these women's portayals of inmate life in min security are perrty accurate). Very solid show.

BUT: here is my big gripe and I don't know where to put it, or if it deserves its own topic thread, so Im just putting it out here. The music. I mean, I love the music and music is an unseen character of any good show, but what I'm talking about is the music that the girls all "like". Sorry, but that chola asking Bennett for an ipod with a Smith's mix would *never* happen IRL. NEVER. (I'm from a very large Texas metro where there is one alt rock radio station, four country stations, three rap/hip-hop stations and 16 Latino stations...) And, Soso leading the goup in a Lisa Loeb sing-a-long? WTF??? JK is showing her age and her own personal musical preferences with these kinds of choices, and it is annoying to me because while *most* everything else is realistic and believable character-wise, their musical choices would not be this.

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the inmates choice of music doesn't really line up with reality?

• Love 1
(edited)

I think we're supposed to find the vaguely goth chick's [Flacca?] taste in music out of left field, though.  I mean, it's a bit of a running gag they introduced last season, and her friend even called her out on it.  She said her boyfriend's name was "Ian," so I'm guessing he's something of a departure from her world, and I kind of attribute her music taste to him.  I had a harder time believing that she knew who Fleet Foxes were enough to diss them, but I work for the label and we enjoyed the hell out of that nonetheless.

I agree with you that Soso's song choices were dated, though.  Was she even alive when that was a hit?

Edited by bravelittletoaster
  • Love 3
(edited)

The music. I mean, I love the music and music is an unseen character of any good show, but what I'm talking about is the music that the girls all "like". Sorry, but that chola asking Bennett for an ipod with a Smith's mix would *never* happen IRL. NEVER. (I'm from a very large Texas metro where there is one alt rock radio station, four country stations, three rap/hip-hop stations and 16 Latino stations...) And, Soso leading the goup in a Lisa Loeb sing-a-long? WTF??? JK is showing her age and her own personal musical preferences with these kinds of choices, and it is annoying to me because while *most* everything else is realistic and believable character-wise, their musical choices would not be this.

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the inmates choice of music doesn't really line up with reality?

I read Morrissey's biography, and it turns out that he is most popular in recent years in Spanish-speaking countries. So the request for the Smiths music made sense to me.

(I'm from a very large Texas metro where there is one alt rock radio station, four country stations, three rap/hip-hop stations and 16 Latino stations...) And, Soso leading the goup in a Lisa Loeb sing-a-long? WTF??? JK is showing her age and her own personal musical preferences with these kinds of choices, and it is annoying to me because while *most* everything else is realistic and believable character-wise, their musical choices would not be this.

No classic rock stations? Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 2

I think we're supposed to find the vaguely goth chick's [Flacca?] taste in music out of left field, though.  I mean, it's a bit of a running gag they introduced last season, and her friend even called her out on it.  She said her boyfriend's name was "Ian," so I'm guessing he's something of a departure from her world, and I kind of attribute her music taste to him.  I had a harder time believing that she knew who Fleet Foxes were enough to diss them, but I work for the label and we enjoyed the hell out of that nonetheless.

I agree with you that Soso's song choices were dated, though.  Was she even alive when that was a hit?

The Soso thing didn't bug me only because certain folky tunes can live on for years in camp/youth group circles. I like to joke that lesbians and jewish teenagers are the only people who know all the words to every Indigo Girls song ever written-I swear most of my jewish youth group teenage years were spent sitting in a circle (bonus points if we're sitting around a fire) and someone has a guitar and we're singing Indigo Girls and early Dave Matthews Band. Since we know Soso was a big old hippie, it doesn't shock me that she might have had a lot of "sit around and play folk songs" singalongs, and Lisa Loeb fits perfectly in that. 

• Love 2

Season 1 definitely beats Season 2 for me because I'm in this for Piper's journey. As awesome as the supporting cast is, I came for her story and my viewing habits will continue based on her story. Doesn't hurt that I ship the hell outta Vauseman.

The Vee arc was compelling. Lorraine Toussaint was EPIC in this role. Watching Taystee revert to survival tactics, seeing Suzanne do anything for love, and learning that there's more to Black Cindy than jokes really kept the show moving. And yet...for me there was always a missing part. I lived for any scrap of Piper's story, even when Larry was involved. When S2E10 opened with my grrrls making sweet, sweet love, I squeed so loudly that my husband side-eyed me.

Red's band of merry old gangsters tickled me to no end. Nicky is always a pleasure and I pray she stays clean. I'm curious about Boo and her new friendship with Tucky. I enjoyed learning more about Slavic-Spanish Rosa and her past as a black widow bank robber. Seeing how she dealt with Vee's rudeness took the show out on a high note for me. Yet even with all that good stuff, I hope next season is about 70/30 = Piper/Others.

• Love 2

I read Morrissey's biography, and it turns out that he is most popular in recent years in Spanish-speaking countries. So the request for the Smiths music made sense to me.

No classic rock stations?

I think this is over-thinking it. His label has been heavily promoting in Latin America. So, good job marketing team! (Like when Victoria beer was introduced to America, it was test-marketed in Chicago of all places. Because if it succeeded there- it did- it would succeed anywhere in the UA of A) I used this as an example of many times when the music (and even sometimes the teevee choices, like when Taystee has charge of the remote and all she wanted to watch was the Discovery Channel) just seemed incongruious with the characters. That's why I said it was like JK's way of inserting *her* own personal favorite music into the show. When I was in the county lockup lo those many years ago, IF we ever got music- and we did on occassion- it was a HUGE fight (and that was in Georgia, so there was a lot or hip-hop/country fights going down to near riots, then they took away the boombox.) And c'mon, these girls are too dumb to know that they have a "whole other hole", I doubt they're waxing philosophic about the stylings of Morrisey.....

Oh yeah, we do have a classic rock station and they play the same 10 bands from the late 70s over and over and over and over.....

• Love 2

Yeah I still don't think it's an issue really because I thought they made it pretty clear she got her taste from her boyfriend Ian and the fact that it's an affectation on her part is kind of the whole point ["Bitch, you were born in '92," Maritza tells her the first time she waxes on about "How Soon is Now."]

• Love 4

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

BUT: here is my big gripe and I don't know where to put it, or if it deserves its own topic thread, so Im just putting it out here. The music. I mean, I love the music and music is an unseen character of any good show, but what I'm talking about is the music that the girls all "like". Sorry, but that chola asking Bennett for an ipod with a Smith's mix would *never* happen IRL. NEVER. (I'm from a very large Texas metro where there is one alt rock radio station, four country stations, three rap/hip-hop stations and 16 Latino stations...) And, Soso leading the goup in a Lisa Loeb sing-a-long? WTF??? JK is showing her age and her own personal musical preferences with these kinds of choices, and it is annoying to me because while *most* everything else is realistic and believable character-wise, their musical choices would not be this.

Maybe I am being overly sensitive but what exactly do you mean by "that chola" would never ask for the Smiths? Is this an age thing? Or are you implying that Latinas only listen to rap/hip hop/urban music?

In my experience Latin people have the most diverse musical tastes of any ethnic group I have ever been around. I didn't find her request strange at all, and I didn't attribute it to her having a white boyfriend who showed her the this thing called "rock music".

As far as Soso, why wouldn't she know Lisa Loeb and Meredith Brooks? I'm 32 and those songs came out when I was in high school. Even if Soso is supposed to be younger, she would of been what a pre-teen when those songs were out. Like other posters have said some songs travel genres and generations just by popularity or their place in pop culture. Hell I've been at college parties back in the day when people have broken out singing "American Pie" which would of been over twenty years since the song came out.

Edited by Dougal
Trimmed quote.
  • Love 5

But isn't the point of a sing along to pick a song that most people would know.  Considering what we know about Soso I don't find it surprising that she knows Lisa Loeb and Meredith Brooks.  To me it's like a karaoke song.  Most people's go to song isn't something terribly modern. 

cpierce, on 01 Jul 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

The music. I mean, I love the music and music is an unseen character of any good show, but what I'm talking about is the music that the girls all "like". Sorry, but that chola asking Bennett for an ipod with a Smith's mix would *never* happen IRL. NEVER. (I'm from a very large Texas metro where there is one alt rock radio station, four country stations, three rap/hip-hop stations and 16 Latino stations...)

Haha, I thought Flaca liking The Smiths was a total stereotype! At all of the Morrissey shows I've been to, 90% of the crowd are Latin American/Mexican and are styled very much like she is. This is in SoCal though, so I don't know if that is true in other parts of the US.

• Love 1

I have come late to the party, because everyone and their dog was talking about this show, and that made me not want to watch it, if that makes sense.

I am just floored at how good this was. This might be some of the most powerful women's programming I have seen since Maude. Brilliant writing, complex characters, and very real portrayals of how women end up in prison. 

I am so moved by this show. Really, some of the best television I have seen.

There isn't much I didn't like, actually. I found the wrap-up to Vee and Rosa's stories a little on the nose, but supremely satisfying, so I didn't care.

I wish I had a fave character...but I don't. I alternately like and hate them all. Again, that speaks to the intelligence of the scriptwriters. I suppose if I had to choose, Boo fascinates me more than many of the others. But there isn't a one of them I don't find compelling in some way. It's a show that challenges on so many levels, and forces me to really confront some of my own prejudices.

I rarely feel enriched as a person after tv, quite the opposite usually, but this program really makes me feel like I learned, and changed, from who I was when I started. Thanks to all the posters here who are so prolific in their praise. Were it not for some of you, I might never have bothered with what I thought was an overrated 'women in jail' drama. It was only after reading some posters' thoughts about the show that I decided to give it a try.  Now I am off to see what else you guys liked, so I can try that, too. 

Edited by JustAlison
  • Love 4

I started watching this show out of curiosity after I'd read the book. I binge-watched Season 1 last year -- not so much because I "loved" it but because it was there, I had little else to do that weekend, and I felt a need to finish the season. There were parts of Season 1 that I found interesting, and scenes/episodes that "passed the time"; however, I also hated almost all of the characters and by the time I'd finished the Season 1 finale, overall I really wasn't much of a fan of this show.

Still, I started Season 2 over another uneventful weekend this past summer. While I'm still not fond of most of the characters, surprisingly I ended up getting into the second season ... and even liking it in many ways. After I finished Season 2, I re-watched Season 1; and I enjoyed it slightly more the second time around, though overall, I'm still definitely partial to Season 2.

Some of the things I particularly enjoyed about Season 2: the fact that Alex hardly appeared (LOATHE her); the scenes with the staff (perhaps an unpopular opinion, but I find Healy to be oddly compelling; Caputo also has his moments, Fig was sort of amusing at times, and even the rest of the staff members are interesting to watch, though I wouldn't necessarily want entire storylines dedicated to some of them); the Morello backstory (I often hate the flashbacks but her story was pretty engaging); and the Rosa story, while it could have been "depressing", turned out to be one of the better plotlines, as well. As for the new characters: "Soso" was annoying, but at least she was supposed to be, so I didn't mind her too much. And it was similar with Vee; I didn't love her, but  she was an entertaining enough "comic book" (obvious) villain without being too over-the-top.

There were some things about Season 2 that bugged (I guess this is also an unpopular opinion, but I don't care for or about Poussey; and can't Big Boo just get released, or be killed by the next villain, or something?) and I basically couldn't care less about Piper (or any of her love interests, for that matter).

Still, even though I have no idea where they'll go with it, I am quite curious now to see what happens in Season 3. Somebody mentioned earlier that they'd like to see a backstory with Norma; I agree. She's one of the few prisoners that doesn't annoy me, and I'd love to learn why she doesn't talk!

Edited by kickedinthehead
After the first episode of season two, I never feared for Piper's life. There was a lot of prison conflict, but it was focused on other characters. I generally like the character of Piper, but I am so happy that each season is not going to be another prisoner out to get her.

In the third episode when Vee was rolling her eyes about her and turning Suzanne against her I did think the show would end with Vee having it in for her in that way. And then the only other interaction they had was when they took the phone from her. Although I loved how she wasn't cowering or particularly intimidated in that scene.  I was relieved. I agree it would be way too much to have a major threat every season for her.

I hated Vee. I think the depection was one of the best depecitions of a sociopath I've ever seen on television. Incredibly charming even lovable when she wants to be but there is just nothing there. Not even the ability to form a genuine emotional bond. The problem is genuine sociopaths are ultimately boring. They don't really have conflict themselves since they only care about their own survival. Watching other people fall for their shit becomes annoying fast even if you can understand it logically. And, in the end, all they can do is fuck shit up and die. There is no nuance to it. That isn't to say there is no nuance in the amazing performance.

I do think what Piper did to Alex at the end was truly heinous and selfish. Calling her PO and reporting her plans to possibly leave the country?

Alex was about to commit a felony. Didn't Alex tell Piper that it was Piper's own choices that got her in prison not Alex ratting her out? Didn't Piper agree with that and tell her mom that?  How is it any different when it is Alex's own choices?

And it isn't that easy in 2014 to just escape with active warrants on you and not be found. Especially when she doesn't have any money or contacts anymore. Especially when you are a tall woman with green eyes and many identifiable tattoos. Kind of sticks out in the crowd. And even if the government won't find and extradite her an international drug lord probably will have his ways. Alex's was likely  going to end up caught and in max. Since the government doesn't love having to chase you down.  And the government would have had to chase her down. Because they needed her testimony for Kubra's retrial. Another likely scenario is that she would be dead.

Alex wasn't a small time street hustler. She was a conncected player in a huge international drug trafficking ring. She isn't someone the government will shrug at losing track of when they need her testimony. She isn't someone Kubra will forget about getting vengence on.

I have no doubt Piper did it for selfish reasons but Alex was about to do something insanely stupid and reckless.  I have zero sympathy for her. First of all, she would have done the same to Piper in a heart beat (and has) if it beneifted her in any possible way. Second, she was about to commit a major felony on top of the felonies she has already committed. At best, Alex is no worse off than she was before.

As for Piper only having a short time on her sentence (which I don't think is true anymore since the prosecutor still might pursue perjury charges and the Queen of SHU certainly isn't getting any time off for good behavior), her issue wasn't that she needed Alex to be her prison wife. It was that she wanted her in her life, at all. Which wouldn't be possible even after Piper got out if Alex were on the run or, far more realistically, dead. Alex was telling her that was the last time they would ever see each other at their meeting.

Also, I loved the scene where she called Larry to get him to do it. How when he is annoyed that she just wants Alex back in prison Piper doesn't justify herself or explain it away. She just calmly turned to Polly instead.

When S2E10 opened with my grrrls making sweet, sweet love, I squeed so loudly that my husband side-eyed me.

Well it was hot but usually sweet love doesn't end with being punched in the face by your sex partner's giflreind.

Edited by CherithCutestory
  • Love 1

I do have my opinions about Daya/Bennett and I'm not sure whether this is a popular opinion, unpopular or if nobody really gives a shit, but I'm on Bennett's side all the way. For most of season, I didn't get why Daya was so insistent on Bennett telling the truth. I mean, I started getting it by the end but I still support Bennett. Thinking about it short term, of course it would be nice and romantic if Bennett professed his love for her in front of everyone and got arrested. He would be the official father and not Mendez, he'll get to help Daya care for the baby and he or she can call him daddy all that they want. Of course, on the other hand, both parents will be in prison. Daya's mother can care for the child for the, what, three-six years that Bennett and Daya will be in prison? Daya will probably get out first, then Bennett, and then how will both of them get good jobs to support their child? Sure, they could make do with minimum wage jobs and it's not like Bennett has a high salary anyway, but they'll both have records and Bennett's will be for a sex offender. I don't know a whole lot about law, but I am aware that being labelled as a sex offender is pretty bad. 

At least, if Bennett didn't confess, he could still help care for the baby. They could tell their child the truth, either at the young age and keep it a secret, or wait until the child's eighteen and explain the situation. Of course, that increases the chance of their child hating them in their later years so that sucks. But Daya and Bennett could get together after she's out of prison. Bennett could find another government job without the record and could be able to care for their child. Ultimately, the situation sucks either way, but thinking about it long term, which would be better for the baby, as Daya would say? Both have their pros and cons, but I believe Bennett has a point about not wanting to lose his job and become a sex offender mostly just for Daya getting the family she's probably dreamed about. 

Again, none of these people on this show are good in any way. I just think being labelled as a coward isn't as bad as being labelled a sex offender. 

• Love 1
(edited)

The thing I love about this show is that even if a character isn't your favorite, the back story makes you empathize with their situation. I love how Piper was the story originally but all these other amazing stories are being revealed. It is so true that you don't know someone till you walk a mile in their shoes. This show makes us do that.

I All of these actresses are amazing in their roles.  I'm glad there is finally a diversity at least in this show.

Edited by Kairay
  • Love 2

I didn't enjoy Season 5 at all. The riot went on way too long, and too much focus on unlikable characters.  I truly hope the meth heads, the white supremacists, and the new Latinas are gone next season. They were beyond annoying and made the show almost unwatchable. What a waste of 13 episodes. Hopefully Season 6 will be better paced.

• Love 6

I'm binge-watching, only partly through. I find I couldn't care less about the riot. The framework does nothing for me. I do like that they appear to have sectioned characters off according to actor chemistry, which is always a saving grace of a sketchy plot. I usually don't care if a show re-sets a character or relationship as long as it's not forcing something the show runner wants and cheating the fans out of a pay off they're expecting.

The two "pairings" I'm liking the most are Piper/Alex and Lorna/Nicky. I'm willing to overlook the psycho stuff we learned about Lorna - they have sort of re-set her back to before that.  Prepon and Schilling have a very natural rapport, and that is sort of a touchstone so far this season.

Adrienne C. Moore as Black Cindy is one of my favorites, and so far she has very little to do. (So far - maybe that will change) In fact the black characters are sort of being used as an ensemble, rather than getting a consistent individual arcs within an arc. They have a scene or two apart from pushing plot, but that's it. IMO they're getting shortchanged, material wise, because they're stuck with pushing plot and not much else.  Which is my comment on the plot. Eh. The idea is good, the execution feels like a lot of filler at times without a strong narrative structure.

I do like the dynamic of that guard going under cover as a prisoner - so far it's being handled well.  I don't think we needed her backstory. WTF, who cares, not everybody needs a backstory in a cast of dozens and dozens. We just met her! And the sorority backstory, while trying to be farcical, was completely unbelievable with ridiculous characterizations and scenarios.

The other duo with strong chemistry is of course Pennsatucky and Boo.  I can't name check everybody, but there are other actors who, individually, are proving their chops. Two who are not, IMO are the actress playing Flaca who is paired with Diane Guerroro's character. Neither one merits featured focus. Daya I no longer have time for - a person who did what she did and then is somehow shocked it sets her up for max has no credibility.

As always, the meth head characters are a turn off and a complete waste of time. Not because they're meth heads - Pennsatucky started off as the primary meth head/white supremacist, and she was a very strong character because Taryn Manning is a great actress who can deliver when she's in the spotlight. I'm still extremely uncomfortable about her relationship with the rapist/guard, and think that is more the show runner trying to help out an actor it turns out they liked, rather than something that would actually happen, and I don't care for it. I recall that actor was very upset about the rapist turn. This feels like the show trying to dig itself out, but it's dangerous with the redeemable rapist stuff. That is ALWAYS dangerous.

Orange is the New Black doesn't want to turn into M*A*S*H.  The Korean war lasted 3 years and M*A*S*H went on for 11. Most of the prisoners at Litchfield have limited prison sentences, under 3 years. I don't think medium security prisoners are set up for long sentences. At some point OITNB had to deal with the timeline - if they continued to extend the prisoners sentences, it would no longer make sense for them to be at Litchfield, especially as many of the characters were planning for when they'd get out, or keeping their head down so they could get out on time. More would move to max. Many of the characters would lose their motivation if they had some long sentence piled on top of them.  So, to have a season that follows only three days for the entire season seems like a smart, credibility saving move for the show, and it's just a matter of what they focus on and how well they pull it off. Not crazy about the execution of the riot to date, but liking when the show slows down and favorite pairings have scenes.

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, DianeDobbler said:

Orange is the New Black doesn't want to turn into M*A*S*H.  The Korean war lasted 3 years and M*A*S*H went on for 11. Most of the prisoners at Litchfield have limited prison sentences, under 3 years. I don't think medium security prisoners are set up for long sentences. At some point OITNB had to deal with the timeline - if they continued to extend the prisoners sentences, it would no longer make sense for them to be at Litchfield, especially as many of the characters were planning for when they'd get out, or keeping their head down so they could get out on time. More would move to max. Many of the characters would lose their motivation if they had some long sentence piled on top of them.  So, to have a season that follows only three days for the entire season seems like a smart, credibility saving move for the show, and it's just a matter of what they focus on and how well they pull it off. Not crazy about the execution of the riot to date, but liking when the show slows down and favorite pairings have scenes.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Realistically, even though they've set up what will happen next season in the finale, either they're all getting longer sentences, which I don't fully buy because it'll be more expensive to punish everyone for the riot by extending their sentences for too long, or we might start to see some of the inmates reach the end of their sentences and get released. Like Aleida and Judy, we might see them occasionally out in the real world, but my hope is that it allows them to reduce the number of main characters that they have. They can filter in new ones if needed be, but drop the cast number, rather than increase it. Also, they need to be reducing the number of recurring characters that get storylines. Nobody cares about the meth heads or the Nazis and I think those kinds of characters tear focus away from the main characters, who are getting paid more to be on the show (I assume). 

What they've proven in this new season is that they have way too many characters and way too many stories that they want to tell, which means many characters either get very little screen time, or they get really shitty storylines. For example, Taryn Manning gets saddled this season with both less screen time AND a shitty storyline with her rapist. Sure, the characters that got more screen time last season had their roles reduced this time around, but that meant for new characters or characters that aren't well liked got way too much screen time. 

Ensemble casts are good....until you have too many and start pulling focus away from other characters because of the shortage of time, or the amount of detail that goes into a particular character's storyline for that season. 

(edited)

Getting trapped in a dirty porta potty seems like one of the most horrible fates imaginable. However, I think I could break out. So, let's imagine that I'm Kaputo in my underwear. If I push on the door with my feet, the bottom the the door gives more than the center because the tape doesn't go down that far down. If I could pull the toilet seat off at it's screws, I think I could use the sharp plastic at the screw ends of the toilet seat to rip the tape as I push the door open with feet. I can use the screws to puncture holes in the tape. What are your thoughts on escaping a nasty porta potty?

IMG_4213.JPG

Edited by Savybitch
  • Love 2

It's not like a serial show is supposed to represent real time, as in each week shows the events of the actual past week in the characters' lives, so the criticism of MASH doesn't really make sense.  Most of the inmates we don't even know their crime, and the ones we do, most wouldn't even be in a federal prison to begin with.  Even Piper they could work around in many ways.  In reality, she served her short sentence and got out and married Larry.  They've already veered way off.  But it's not a documentary.

I wonder if you tip a porta potty if the roof is designed to come off, for exactly this reason.  Or even if you can remove it from simply standing on the seat and removing hand-sized screws.  

Tipped = spilled contents of the hole. Shudder.

These particular units didn't seem to have roofs at all, so maybe they could have hoisted themselves out through the open top. But their hands were zip-tied together, so that makes it much harder to do anything, really.

I did not enjoy this season.  I watched it, but it seemed interminable.  I am so bored by the pairing of Piper and Alex.  I actually liked Alex better this season, but I find nothing likable about Piper.  I hated the torture scenes as well as the puking ones.  The storyline is just kind of all over the place and the show seems to lack focus.  

13 hours ago, mj2000 said:

Am I the only one who wanted to read Suzanne's story? I am so curious about the adventures of Admiral Rodcocker and Edwina. 

I bet someone's put something up on archive of our own or fanfiction.net to try to help fill the void. :)