Type keyword(s) to search

Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

I don't, but, admittedly, I love long chapters and long one shots.

Speaking of long chapters, there's still one chapter left to be posted, but this story is gorgeous and I'm totally addicted to it: Broken Bones, Mended Hearts by andachippedcup. 

After a car crash leaves Oliver with a traumatic brain injury and unable to see, he finds himself hospitalized in a semi-private room. Though he can't see her, he takes comfort in speaking to his neighbor on the other side of the curtain: Felicity, recently hospitalized for a fractured neck, leaving her in traction and unable to move. Together, they help each other heal.

• Love 1
On 8/15/2019 at 10:45 PM, Mellowyellow said:

Do you guys get fatigue from super long stories?

I've got a one shot that's going to be around 12000 words long. Wondering if I should split it over 2 weeks or post all 12000 words of it at once?

When I've had fatigue from long stories, it's usually when I'm waiting for updates and they only post like 3k words every few weeks or less.  But If I'm liking a story, I'm happy to keep going or pause and come back the next day if I need too.  (FYI, I don't think 12k is that super long of a story) 

BUT I also think that when chapters are posted in a paced manner rather than posted all at once, you pick up more eyeballs to read it.  So I'd be inclined to break up my posts of a 12k story.  Also, 12k as one chapter I do think can be intimidating in a way that 12k for 4 or more chapters wouldn't be even if you posted all four chapters at the same time.   

You have any advice on how often I should post for a story that is 163k words long?

@BkWurm1 the story felt like it needed to be split for better formatting (despite reading like one long yarn) so in the end I managed to split it into 4 parts complete with different  section names! I'm trying this new "fic on steroids" thing and it's working well for me since I just get it all done and dusted instead of dragging it on. I'll drop it all at once but I do think breaking it up  within the story makes it less messy. 

With 163k words you have the luxury of doing 1 chapter a week like clockwork. I would adore that as a reader. Something to look forward to every week. I'm guessing you don't need editing time as I know you're super thorough in terms of editing. 

• Love 1

Question for fanfic writers!

Do you guys have favourites amongst all the fics you write?

I most certainly do. The same amount of effort and care is put into each fic (actually some which have had more effort put into them are not necessarily favourites) but when I re read them again through the eyes of a reader stopping by I definitely have favourites!

Some I adore and some I do not care to ever read again, despite being quite happy with it when it was first written. I don't even think it's bad, just not my jam.

• Love 1
On 8/17/2019 at 12:58 AM, Mellowyellow said:

@BkWurm1 the story felt like it needed to be split for better formatting (despite reading like one long yarn) so in the end I managed to split it into 4 parts complete with different  section names! I'm trying this new "fic on steroids" thing and it's working well for me since I just get it all done and dusted instead of dragging it on. I'll drop it all at once but I do think breaking it up  within the story makes it less messy. 

With 163k words you have the luxury of doing 1 chapter a week like clockwork. I would adore that as a reader. Something to look forward to every week. I'm guessing you don't need editing time as I know you're super thorough in terms of editing. 

Lol.  I'm in editing stage right now.  The early chapters are in great shape (knock on wood) since i've gone over them so many times, but I have some work to do on the later ones.  I want to have gotten the end ones up to at least 2nd draft stage before i start posting.  

And yeah, regularly at least once a week is the plan.  It will be hard some weeks not to want to post more (the weeks with the shorter chapters)

21 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I most certainly do. The same amount of effort and care is put into each fic (actually some which have had more effort put into them are not necessarily favourites) but when I re read them again through the eyes of a reader stopping by I definitely have favourites!

Some I adore and some I do not care to ever read again, despite being quite happy with it when it was first written. I don't even think it's bad, just not my jam.

For sure.  Some I find once i wrote them, I just had no more interest in them.  Not bad per say, but old news?  Then some are just always a pleasure to reread. I always say that we are the first audience member we are writing for so most of the time we better hope we love it.  But yeah, it's hard not to marvel as some things that either just work out better or have held up better over time.  Or maybe we have one that just reached inside our brain and got it just right.  You can't always predict which one that will be.  

Fan videos using Taylor Swift's new song, "The Archer"...

Oliver and Felicity || The Archer
Published on Jul 24, 2019, by sammy431 Balance

Oliver Queen~ The Archer 🏹💚
Published on Jul 24, 2019, by Allison Poynor

• Love 1
On 9/3/2019 at 9:24 AM, tv echo said:

Fan videos using Taylor Swift's new song, "The Archer"...

Oliver and Felicity || The Archer
Published on Jul 24, 2019, by sammy431 Balance

Oliver Queen~ The Archer 🏹💚
Published on Jul 24, 2019, by Allison Poynor

At risk of being mocked or being told what are u nuts 🤣 I say they should get Permission to play that song in the series finale. 

• Useful 1
On 8/22/2019 at 12:30 AM, Mellowyellow said:

I have plenty that I more or less forgot I wrote - generally one shots. Not that they're bad, just they were there to fill a temporary need. Then I have 2 longer ones - one finished and one WIP - that I really enjoy reading. And get mildly mad at the author for not finishing that one.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Josh371982 said:

So cute! Love this! Mia looks so adorable with the hood on 

I know when I saw that sketch I was all about the little bear onesie Hood! What are those two like with their baby and that anyway?

• Love 2

I've not read any fan fiction, but I'm impressed by the quantity and variety...

Here’s an ‘Arrow’ and Olicity Holiday Reading List
Lynsey Neill  December 11, 2019
 https://www.purefandom.com/2019/12/11/arrow-olicity-holiday-reading-list/

This fan fiction list is dedicated to all the people in the Olicity fandom who work tirelessly to give us content to enjoy. Whether it’s fan fiction, fan art, fan videos, gif sets, and more, you’re appreciated.
Here’s our collection of Arrow fan fiction to enjoy over the holiday break, as we gear up for the final installments of Crisis
... (Read more)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

So I had been working on a fic for more than a year and started posting it a couple months back.  And now i have only 3 more new chapters to post before it's all done.  It was such a huge part of my world for so long.  If any one is interested in checking it out, here's the link and the blurb.  I swear it's not as intense as I make it out to be, lol.  

https://archiveofourown.org/works/20373139/chapters/48315145

Oliver Queen vowed never to return home.

Felicity Smoak is determined to change his mind.

Eight years ago, the Queen’s Gambit sank and Starling City went into mourning for two of their own, Robert and Oliver Queen. Then, two weeks later, the son emerged, seemingly clueless, but very much alive. The city’s devotion flipped to suspicion.

Oliver Queen went into exile and life in Starling City went on unchanged until the day Felicity Smoak was plucked from the IT department and handed a mystery. It was only when bodies started piling up that she understood the stakes. Abruptly thereafter, she was told the matter was settled and to stop digging.

She didn’t.

For years, even as Felicity grew closer to the Queen family, she secretly continued her search for answers. She wants to move on and start living her dreams, but she can’t until she finds the truth. Now, she knows how to get it. Retrieving Starling City’s Prodigal Son is only the first step.

512 by 800 dark with words.jpg

• Love 7

I found your story yesterday after a friend tweeted about it, and I couldn't stop reading. I finished Chapter 34 a few hours ago, and when I realized I'd read 162,000 words in less than 24 hours, I laughed (and cringed at my obsessiveness, LOL). Anyway, I just wanted to share with everyone how great it is so they can join me in my obsession. 😊

• Love 1

Prodigal Son is really well done and exactly the kind of fic I want to read.  And see on TV.

There's a TV show with the same name and I'm always disappointed when I realize that it's not the broadcast of this fic.

• Love 3
On 12/28/2019 at 5:10 PM, KenyaJ said:

I found your story yesterday after a friend tweeted about it, and I couldn't stop reading. I finished Chapter 34 a few hours ago, and when I realized I'd read 162,000 words in less than 24 hours, I laughed (and cringed at my obsessiveness, LOL). Anyway, I just wanted to share with everyone how great it is so they can join me in my obsession. 😊

On 12/28/2019 at 6:42 PM, apinknightmare said:

I've been reading it! The story is incredibly engaging - you're a great writer @BkWurm1. I love Oliver and Felicity in it and am very, very (AND I MEAN VERY) anxiously awaiting the next update, LOL.

On 12/28/2019 at 9:30 PM, statsgirl said:

Prodigal Son is really well done and exactly the kind of fic I want to read.  And see on TV.

There's a TV show with the same name and I'm always disappointed when I realize that it's not the broadcast of this fic.

Aww, thanks you guys.  I really appreciate everything you said.  It means a lot to hear it from people I feel like I know and know I can trust their opinions to mean something.  

I'm getting ready to post the final chapter in a little while.  I've been working on it so long it's kind of bittersweet.  But hey, that lines up perfectly with coming to the conclusion of Arrow as a whole.    

Felicity remained a presence on Arrow in the first seven episodes of this final season, as evidenced by this fan's video (plus, she was mentioned in the COIE crossover and is part of the COIE tie-in comics)...

Arrow S8 || Every mention of Felicity Smoak
infinitecanvas   Dec. 14, 2019

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

@BkWurm1, I forgot my AO3 passwprd, so I didn't comment there, but congrats on your mammoth fic. It's a really impressive piece of work and it kind of messed up my reading schedule once I sarted it. I appreciate the exploration of Felicity and Moira's relationship and its potential nuances.

But honestly, you had me serial killer yacht salesman. 😄

• LOL 1

When does fanfic usually die for a fandom?

Asking because I've started a new fic and need to know if I need to motor before people stop reading fics. 

It's my final Olicity fic (it really is the end of an era isn't it?) so I would like people to read it 😅

7 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

When does fanfic usually die for a fandom?

Asking because I've started a new fic and need to know if I need to motor before people stop reading fics. 

It's my final Olicity fic (it really is the end of an era isn't it?) so I would like people to read it 😅

There will probably be a surge of fics published in the coming months - what ifs, fix-its, AUs, etc. It won't ever truly die, but it'll probably pick up for a bit before it levels off again.

• Love 3

It is the end of an era so I am going to shamelessly flog my last fic no matter what!

Goodbye My Love

https://archiveofourown.org/works/22212100/chapters/53033374

Bright and bubbly Felicity Smoak opens her heart and takes a chance at love when mysterious fellow agent Oliver Queen unexpectedly enters her life and sweeps her off her feet. However their happiness is short lived and Felicity's world comes crashing down when she realises everything about the man she thought she knew was one elaborate lie.

Determined to live her life on her own terms Felicity questions everything around her and fights every step of the way to regain her freedom.

Just make sure you read the warnings and heed them!

The good news is I have reached a VERY zen place with the show where I am incredibly motivated to write not matter what happens on it (ie no mood swings so you get regular updates).

Almost done with Chapter 2 now! SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE

PS Every time I write 2000 words in one sitting @statsgirl has to proclaim me the bestest best! 

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, lemotomato said:

This one illustration made me more emotional than anything that happened in the ridiculous 5 hour cameo-fest that was the crossover. 

GUH if they wouldve done something Like this and had Diggle William and Mia there for that I wouldve lost it 😪😢😥😭

• Love 1

Whinging, wailing here.

Do you ever feel the drudgery of setting up scenes that help your story or plot along when all you want to do is write your DRAMATIC!ANGSTY! scenes but it won't make sense on its own and you can't post or even re read a dramatic angsty scene with no context so you need to waddle through stuff to get to it?

I break it up by letting myself add in some Olicity cuteness.

Ok enough venting. Time to soldier on! I can do this!

• LOL 1

I was feeling sentimental about the end of the show and decided to check the count on 3x20 without background music AS ONE DOES--it's over 32 million!-and was reminded of one of my favorite vids from early season 2, set to "Everybody Wants to Rule the World". Most of you probably know it, but here's the link for anyone wanting to take a walk down memory lane. 

Everybody Wants to Rule the World

Edited by thegirlsleuth
  • Love 5