Type keyword(s) to search

Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

What do you guys reckon is a good number of days to leave a completed chapter before going back to edit and post?

I'm super excited as I've just finished a chapter but I am on a quest to self improve and be more picky so I'm fighting the urge to edit and post vs sitting on it a few days, muling over it on dog walks and doing a better edit.

Should add that I am normally pretty bad in terms of editing! I write, edit and post pretty much straight away. It's the "churn it out" vs "try to be an artist" fight I have with myself all the time. I usually churn it out like I do with dinners at home which is probably not good for a creative endeavour but it's more my nature! I get excited though hence the propensity to churn! 

There is a story about G.K. Chesterton that he didn't edit at all, just dictated to his secretary and didn't change anything after that.  it's probably apocryphal. (Although I do have a friend who wrote all her university essays over and over in her head and when she put the words down on paper, she was done.)

I wait two days before I go back and edit what I think is a finished work.  Less than that I'm still in love with my own words; a week later I just want to move on.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2

I shall try for an overnight sleep and see how that goes! I know if I try to edit right away I would do a completely dodgy job of it. 

I suspect the trouble with me is the assembly line nature in which I write. I am just not an artist at heart. I'm a 2000 words a day and tick it off until the chapter is done kind of girl.

I want to find my inner artist! I do wonder if I sat around and refused to write until I was super feeling it, would I produce better stuff or would I just end up surfing the net for gems?

I don't think you should try to fight your very productive tendencies.  2000 words a day consistently is wonderful.  BUT taking a couple days to let it rest just a bit so you get some distance will help you tweak what you've written so you are happier with it in the long run. 

For me, I need at least a week, and really, probably a couple weeks or longer, before I can read my stuff and see it as it is instead of how I imagined it in my head.  It's just so much easier to fix sentence structure and make sure the emotional impact is all there not to mention the physical stuff like what they are doing and making sure these characters aren't just walking around in an empty, white room if I do have that distance. 

Given how prolific you are, you really won't have to suffer posting withdrawal for long, just long enough to get ahead of your writing (and then stay ahead) so you have that cushion of time to review before you post.  

• Love 2

Well it's not like the CW is going to bother trying to hype things up for Arrow's return.  I approve.  Simple but it's welcoming to the female viewers.  I like that she's gaming too.  Also, something probably totally not intended but the woman in it reminds me of Kerri Russel who used to star in a show called Felicity so...

• Love 1

Guys what do you think about fic writers adding "Notes" to explain themselves?

Do you like it as reassurance that the writer knows where they are headed or you think it should come loud and clear across in the chapter?

Or does the extra reassurance help?

7 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Guys what do you think about fic writers adding "Notes" to explain themselves?

Do you like it as reassurance that the writer knows where they are headed or you think it should come loud and clear across in the chapter?

Or does the extra reassurance help?

I’m not a fan of notes. I think everything should be made clear in the story itself. Unless those notes are just some extra details that are not needed in the story but might be fun for the readers to know about. 

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

hehe I have this note I want to add just to reassure about something but I feel sketchy doing it! 

Is it a clarification? I mean, notes have never really stopped me from reading a story. I just skip them ? if you think this note of yours will help readers, go for it. 

1 minute ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Is it a clarification? I mean, notes have never really stopped me from reading a story. I just skip them ? if you think this note of yours will help readers, go for it. 

I kinda teased something would happen but it hasn't happened yet and in all honestly I spent a week thinking about it (on dog walks) and it's too soon for it to happen but it will happen with the right set up.

I think I'm worried people will read the update and think "What the hell, you teased XYZ last week!"

I have a compelling explanation for why I wrote what I wrote!!!!!  

Why do I get the feeling that that movie would be better than the first third of s3?

22 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I kinda teased something would happen but it hasn't happened yet and in all honestly I spent a week thinking about it (on dog walks) and it's too soon for it to happen but it will happen with the right set up.

I think I'm worried people will read the update and think "What the hell, you teased XYZ last week!"

I have a compelling explanation for why I wrote what I wrote!!!!!  

If you're talking about the

Spoiler

Moira/Felicity confrontation

I'd be happy to have it put off for a while. Once that happens, the story is pretty much over (it seems to me).

This article showcases some fan art...

20 Arrowverse Heroes Reimagined As Villains
BY BEC HEIM – ON OCT 08, 2018
https://screenrant.com/arrowverse-heroes-reimagined-villains/

19 DARK ARCHER OLIVER
oliver-queen-dark-archer.jpg?q=50&fit=cr

Out of all the heroes, Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) has most often flirted crossing the line between hero and villain. In this drawing from Kaiitan, we see a really nice head study of a villainous Oliver. The whole vibe is very anime-esque and that's definitely a positive as anime villains have some amazing costumes.

The draping of the hood, the lower face mask, and the high collar piped in red are definitely a departure from the Robin Hood aesthetic of hero Oliver. Also, it looks like one of his eyes may be a different color/replaced? It’s definitely a very interesting silhouette either way.
15 OLIVER ARROW THRONE
arrow-game-of-thrones.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&

The Iron Throne from Game of Thrones is definitely one of the most famous thrones in pop culture. It has driven good men to depths of depravity and made bad men even worse. There’s also just something so tempting in its design. It’s no wonder that Boss Logic wanted to use that imagery and meaning by having Oliver on his own Arrow Throne.

In this reimagining, Olivier just sits there, looking confident and sure of himself.

There are arrows at his feet like there was some kind of shootout and he emerged victorious from it. Even so, the fact that he sits there, face in shadow, it makes you wonder what he did to get there. Like we said about the Iron Throne, it has shown good men how bad they can go for it. 
9 FELICITY SMOAK AS HARLEY QUINN
felicity-smoak-harley-quinn.jpg?q=50&fit

Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards) has a less than perfect past. Over the years, however, she definitely has settled into a happier sort of life. Well, happier in between instances of near-death and her husband being in jail, but her experiences haven’t quite sent her over the edge. While Harley Quinn does exist in the Arrowverse in some way, it would be interesting to see what would happen if one too many things push Felicity over the edge.

From Ash-DaPotato, we have a mash-up of Felicity with Margot Robbie’s version of Harley Quinn. Right now, it just focuses on the hair mixed with Felicity’s face. ...
5 THEA QUEEN (TIGRESS/DARK SPEEDY)
tigress-speedy-thea-queen-.jpg?q=50&fit=

Thea (Willa Holland) went through her own villainous inclinations back in season two and early in season three. While it was pretty much agreed on that she would be Speedy the moment audiences heard Oliver’s nickname for her, people thought that it would change once things got darker for her.

There are several amazing mantles of villains that Thea could have taken up. Courtesy of IronAvenger1234, we get to see two versions of it. The one on the left is a version of Thea Queen as Tigress and the right is a darker version of her Speedy costume. We would have liked some more stripes on the Tigress costume, but both are functional and practical for the work that Thea does: hero or villain.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

*cries*

I have 8,000 words to edit! I do not want to edit 8,000 words! I will NEVER get it done! Editing is my bugbear. 

*considers piking and just posting 4000 words*

haha thank you for listening to my tortured fanfic writing rant! 

• Love 2
On 10/11/2018 at 8:16 AM, statsgirl said:

I'm sorry about your enormous editing, but terrifically impressed that you wrote 8,000 words.

I haven't edited a single word and then wrote a few hundred more!

SEND HELP!

But I am done thank goodness! Not going to add anymore to this chapter! I just hope people don't glaze over and skip bits of it because I'm being long winded!  

Will I ever edit this thing??? 

• Love 1

I don't know if you guys have seen this before, I just found it on YouTube. This girl does/did fantastic Klaroline fans react videos (haven't watched the TO 513 one because I'm still super bitter).

This is for 208/209 and its Olicity focused. Looking at these clips, especially on the freeze frames and zooms...it now seems really obvious that Olicity was totally being setup in 208/209 (we weren't imagining it) and, I'm now convinced Oliver was jealous (don't care what you say SA).

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

and, I'm now convinced Oliver was jealous (don't care what you say SA).

Yeah, I have no doubts.  And SA's claims of Oliver not being jealous were just him selling the Sara swerve pretty much using the same lame kinds of justifications Oliver might have told himself about Barry and Felicity. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

This is for 208/209 and its Olicity focused. Looking at these clips, especially on the freeze frames and zooms...it now seems really obvious that Olicity was totally being setup in 208/209 (we weren't imagining it) and, I'm now convinced Oliver was jealous (don't care what you say SA).

Oh yeah, definitely jealous. I was annoyed when SA was backpedaling in interviews after the lunge because it felt like gaslighting. Heck, the whole first part of the season was an Olicity setup. Almost every episode had moments where my reaction was “OMG, they really are going there.” Which just made the second part boring, annoying, confusing with the swerve. Which, yeah, was to set up the Slade thing in the finale but still ... i’m bitter.

• Love 6

Oliver was totally jealous. I get why SA needed to pretend otherwise to sell the relationship with Sara, but come on. He spent two episodes glowering at Barry every time he looked at Felicity and another episode being pissy that Felicity wasn't devoting enough focus to the team because she was worried about Barry. And Diggle accused him of being jealous, repeatedly. For that reason alone, I take it as gospel.

Anyway, fun video. To this day, 208 and 209 are two of my absolute favorite episodes of the show. They are near perfection.

• Love 8

Didn't Stephen admit in earlier interviews that Oliver was jealous? I kinda remember fandom being pissed not because he denied Oliver being jealous, but because he contradicted his own past statements.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, JJ928 said:

Didn't Stephen admit in earlier interviews that Oliver was jealous? I kinda remember fandom being pissed not because he denied Oliver being jealous, but because he contradicted his own past statements.

Maybe?  I don't know if he later changed his tune. 

I just remember that he did a TV Line interview and claimed that Oliver wasn't jealous in 208/209.  This was after the episode aired and right before the early January NYC press tour where he downplayed Olicity.  Which gave most of us whiplash because 2A was pretty much non-stop Olicity hints BUT as i recall most Olicity fans were in a state of "wait are they really going there?  am i seeing things?" while the Lauiver/Comic/Antis were all "oh you poor stupid shippers you're being played it's called shipper baiting!"

Looking back it's obvious that Olicity was being setup as the main Love Story from 201 on and SA's December/January interviews downplayed it to pimp the Sara/Oliver hookup and the whole point of the Sara/Oliver hookup was the 223 gotcha!

I sometimes wonder if Arrow would be massively better received if it was a Netflix show where the whole season dropped at once and people could binge.  

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I sometimes wonder if Arrow would be massively better received if it was a Netflix show where the whole season dropped at once and people could binge.  

Probably. All I know is that friends who binge are less ragey and less critical than us who watch weekly ?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, KenyaJ said:

Anyway, fun video. To this day, 208 and 209 are two of my absolute favorite episodes of the show. They are near perfection.

ITA about 208/209, they were a perfect 1-2 punch and made for the most fun hiatus, IMO. Little did I know that the Olicity setup then ignore for huge blocks of time only to trot them out for the season finales was going to be this show’s MO.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Probably. All I know is that friends who binge are less ragey and less critical than us who watch weekly ?

Not only gives us extra time to rage about the rage worthy stuff but gives us too much time to notice all the additional plot holes and worse, come up with better ideas than what they end up doing on screen.  If they don't do the one the fandom wants/expects this year I expect people to go into mourning.  :D  (And I'm not even talking about if FutureFelicity is dead)

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

If they don't do the one the fandom wants/expects this year I expect people to go into mourning.

If it's what I'm thinking of, it's already canon in my head. :D 

BTW, the Arrow in my head is a great show with lots of fun and exciting story lines that make sense and are logistically sound. Too bad I don't have the motivation to put that on paper anymore. 

• Love 3

Send help!!! I'm sitting around, watching Olicity clips, surfing gems, stalking Evgenia, and about to eat creme brulee

Have not written a word!!!!!

When I get into these moods I waste chunks of writing time! 

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 1

@statsgirl I love her short stories! She's got some super cute ones!

Question time!

Would you guys think it was weird if someone names their story with almost the same name as their first story?

So the background is the Chinese released The Eternal Love so I also wrote The Eternal Love but Olicity style.

Now I am watching The Eternal Love 2 and am planning another Olicity adaptation. Different AU, different plot but same sort of hijinks. Very similar "feel" even though it's a different plot. Is that going to be really weird to give it almost the same name or should I just try to think of a new name?

Edited by Mellowyellow

Maybe you could do something like "The Eternal Love"  Take Two!

Really, just make sure you have a note that makes it easy to tell them apart.  The similar name will make it a tad confusing but it's not rocket science.  People will figure it out.  :D

Thanks guys! Both of you have inspired me to do The Eternal Love 2 - ZZZZZ (insert the secondary title of the second story)

Gahhh I so want to write this plot bunny but I really should finish watching the series (it airs only 4 eps a week and I need to wait for English subs) so I can completely plagiarise all the cute stuff the main couple do.

I used to (privately) curse writers who post like 20 WIPs and never finish anything but I can understand the temptation the more I write!