Type keyword(s) to search

Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

@BkWurm1 you know me too well! I say no matter what crap has happened in story they all should end like that =p

Plus that one is so saucy! Bonus!

@statsgirl I'm enjoying the There's Nothing but Light one.  Well I've only read the first chapter but Felicity is adorable in it. I like adorable Felicity.

Yaaaay to finding new stuff to read!!!!

• Love 1

Watching Still Starcrossed reminded me if a trope I like of the arranged or faked engagement/ marriage. What's the name of the AU one where Felicity blackmail's Oliver into marriage because his bratva connections will protect her from her evil step father?  There's another one where Felicity and Oliver get married because their families want a business merger.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I'm so very happy you managed it in a way that I can recommend this!!!  

Hehe I was wondering if your hard core Olicity loving self could handle it =p

Glad you liked it *blows you a kiss*

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Hehe I was wondering if your hard core Olicity loving self could handle it =p

Glad you liked it *blows you a kiss*

Well THAT Felicity isn't MY Felicity or Oliver's Felicity.  So Ray can have his shot.  Plus it's all very cracktastic fun.  

• Love 2

A little bit of a late addition to the conversation, but I was just reminded of one of my fanfic pet peeves (although is won't always stop me from reading). I don't particularly enjoy Olicity enemies to lovers fics. Which is strange, because I've enjoyed it in stories about other characters. I like Beatrice and Benedick in Much Ado About Nothing, for example. For some reason, I just don't like seeing the Olicity relationship start that way. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Hiveminder said:

A little bit of a late addition to the conversation, but I was just reminded of one of my fanfic pet peeves (although is won't always stop me from reading). I don't particularly enjoy Olicity enemies to lovers fics. Which is strange, because I've enjoyed it in stories about other characters. I like Beatrice and Benedick in Much Ado About Nothing, for example. For some reason, I just don't like seeing the Olicity relationship start that way. 

Yeah, I get it.  I am ok with initial skepticism, but never full on enemies.  I can't say they are poorly written since I usually just skip those stories right off.      

• Love 1

For me it's that I think their acquaintances to friends to lovers trajectory on the really worked and actually defines them as a couple. So it's tough for me to let go of.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Yeah, I get it.  I am ok with initial skepticism, but never full on enemies.  I can't say they are poorly written since I usually just skip those stories right off.      

I've read a fair few (because I can't help myself), and I wouldn't say they're any more poorly written than any other type of fic in a purely technical sense. I generally think the characterization is poor though. Too often the author has to make one or both of them act completely unreasonable or like a terrible person to get them to dislike each other. The rest of the time it's just some ridiculous, overblown miscommunication that goes on far too long. 

9 hours ago, bijoux said:

For me it's that I think their acquaintances to friends to lovers trajectory on the really worked and actually defines them as a couple. So it's tough for me to let go of.

Yeah, I really love that we got to watch them grow to love each other.

In my mind, Oliver should always be a little bit charmed by Felicity, and Felicity should always see a little more of him than he lets others see. 

• Love 6

I read a few because I like the trope but usually one or both are OOC. I think it works if Oliver is pre island Ollie at the beginning then they meet again after he comes back but AUs where both of them are already adults and nothing major to change either of them happens during the fic feels weird. One exception I really liked is one fic (that unfortunately isn't finished damn it) where they are young and meet when Oliver is in college and acts like an ass at the beginning and Felicity is in the last year of high school (if I remember correctly) and she is in her angry with the world goth phase so they clash at the beginning but I think it's really well done. It works because they are still immature but on the road to become the two people we know on the show so it doesn't feel OOC.

• Love 3

tumblr_inline_oony8lfxFZ1qdedsx_1280.jpg

oliver queen is one of those soccer dads cheering from the sidelines only he doesn’t have kids yet and it’s not football but his wife felicity smoak punching people

Source

• Love 9

Is anyone reading the fic To make you feel my love? That fic is very well written but it's giving me Oliver and Felicity think they are good parents to Jules but are really crappy insensitive parents level of frustration with the whole Tommy thinks he's Olivers friend but is happy playing father to Olivers baby and husband in all but name and sexual relations to Felicity while being insensitive as hell to Oliver.  I'm three chapters in and I'm hoping the writer is going to turn this around and not be oblivious to how insensitive it makes Tommy and Felicity look like the Ficon writers were oblivious to what insensitive parents Olicity were to Jules.

(Had to get that off my chest, sorry guys)

Just now, bijoux said:

I'm not reading it, but I'm trying to find it. The closest I'm coming up with is smkkbert's fic, but the kid is called Madeleine in the summary.

That's the one. It's a series. I really really liked the the first two parts but the third part is okay but just makes me irrationally angry at the characters much like I was irrationally angry at Olicitys crappy parenting of Jules in Ficon. 

Haha go for it! I love reading comments about fics and stuff. It's especially interesting to read comments about fics I DON'T read.

I saw that summary and skipped it. I am weird! I want an Olicitot in canon badly but have no patience for it in story unless it's in the very last chapter! Plus in my head cannon Felicity and Tommy have nothing to do with each other (or he is just Oliver's best friend whom she knows) so them being close always weirds me out and I won't read those fics! I always think they should sub Ray in that role =P

I like the way Tommy is deployed in He Deserves a Shot at Being Happy or Two Men Same Name but any hint of Flommy and I'm out! Ha should add that as my fanfic quirk! 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, LeighAn said:

That's the one. It's a series. I really really liked the the first two parts but the third part is okay but just makes me irrationally angry at the characters much like I was irrationally angry at Olicitys crappy parenting of Jules in Ficon. 

I'm reading it and it seems like it's turning a corner? But yeah, it's pretty annoying that no one involved seems to understand that Tommy being around all the damn time is hindering things between Oliver and his kid. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I'm reading it and it seems like it's turning a corner? But yeah, it's pretty annoying that no one involved seems to understand that Tommy being around all the damn time is hindering things between Oliver and his kid. 

This. I just want to yell "Tommy back the BLEEP off!" I appreciate the writer has established that Tommy is just a nice guy trying to help Felicity yada yada but he's lack of awareness of Olivers feelings of disconnect makes him come across as insensitive and like he's over stepping boundaries and will remain comfortable doing so and it's not helped by the fact that so far Felicity doesn't seem to notice or care either.

Also considering Olivers only be gone three years I think in this version I think it seems pretty sucky that they haven't kept his memory alive for Madeline so she doesn't treat him like a complete stranger. Like shown her his picture or something.

I guess I'm bias in the sense that I appreciate Tommy as a character but I do feel that the fandom and fic writers do treat him with rose coloured glasses.

1 minute ago, LeighAn said:

Also considering Olivers only be gone three years I think in this version I think it seems pretty sucky that they haven't kept his memory alive for Madeline so she doesn't treat him like a complete stranger. Like shown her his picture or something.

He was only gone a year here - and it seems like they kinda did - you'll see when you get to the chapter that was posted today. 

I guess I'm bias in the sense that I appreciate Tommy as a character but I do feel that the fandom and fic writers do treat him with rose coloured glasses.

I actually dislike Tommy a lot and was glad he died ::ducks:: - so I keep hoping he'll die here too, haha.

• Love 1
(edited)
31 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Why is Tommy always there? Shouldn't they be going to a family counselor or something?  

Anyway, I do agree chapter 5 seems to be a turning point. And I do understand Tommy/Felicity's POV, I imagine it would be very upsetting for Mae to have a clean break from Tommy. I also understand how Tommy would feel losing that connection to Mae. However,  I think they should realize that what Oliver/Mae needs most is some uninterrupted time to rebuild.

Of course I'm a little pissed at the author for the whole Island thing in a High School AU. There was no reason to even go there especially after the first fic ended with a 5 year later epilogue that never mentioned anything like this.

Edited by Morrigan2575
3 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I actually dislike Tommy a lot and was glad he died ::ducks:: - so I keep hoping he'll die here too, haha.

Ha! I would say I was indifferent to him and with seasons past I think he's become over rated and a lot of fic writers make a bigger deal of his importance then I see necessary. Especially since I find Tommy is the friend confident brother in arms character a Diggle gets relegated to the occasional acquaintance a lot of the time.

I didn't need him to die in show but in the end I think it was better for the show because I think Diggle and Olivers friendship is the more natural fit and the more earned relationship. 

14 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Anyway, I do agree chapter 5 seems to be a turning point. And I do understand Tommy/Felicity's POV, I imagine it would be very upsetting for Mae to have a clean break from Tommy. I also understand how Tommy would feel losing that connection to Mae. However,  I think they should realize that what Oliver/Mae needs most is some uninterrupted time to rebuild.

Yeah, I agree. I don't think she should have a clean break or anything, but they're just continuing on like Oliver being back requires zero change to their routine, and it's awful. Even Laurel who was just like, "Well, they're kinda a family!" in the last chapter or the one before. 

3 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Yeah, I agree. I don't think she should have a clean break or anything, but they're just continuing on like Oliver being back requires zero change to their routine, and it's awful. Even Laurel who was just like, "Well, they're kinda a family!" in the last chapter or the one before. 

That moment with Laurel was the worst in the missing sensitivity chip. It made me think that Tommys quite happy in the role he's pushed his way into. 

I get why authors use Tommy. He was on the show for a relatively short while and there were unexplored dimensions to him. So he's a canon character, yet you have the option to do basically anything with him without it being out of character.

• Love 1

I also think it's increadinly gross that he moved in with Felicity and Mae when she has two sisters that could have done that and that he's decided to stay at the Queen mansion with them even though Olivers back.

Okay I read the latest chapter and I see what you guys mean about it turning a corner so I'm feeling more generous then I was before. Tommy still needs to back off though.

The talk about Tommy in fics made me think of The Darkest Hour. When is that getting updated? Is ckksac on any social media, has she maybe mentioned anything?

5 hours ago, LeighAn said:

Is anyone reading the fic To make you feel my love? That fic is very well written but it's giving me Oliver and Felicity think they are good parents to Jules but are really crappy insensitive parents level of frustration with the whole Tommy thinks he's Olivers friend but is happy playing father to Olivers baby and husband in all but name and sexual relations to Felicity while being insensitive as hell to Oliver.  I'm three chapters in and I'm hoping the writer is going to turn this around and not be oblivious to how insensitive it makes Tommy and Felicity look like the Ficon writers were oblivious to what insensitive parents Olicity were to Jules.

(Had to get that off my chest, sorry guys)

This story has been frustrating the hell out of me, but I don't put it on the same level as FiCoN because I think the author is actually aware of the mistakes that the characters are making.  I think part of the issue is that it's a high school AU, and Oliver, Felicity, and Tommy are actually being written as teenagers.  Teenagers are not known for their stellar decision making skills, so at least their behavior makes sense.

I do have a major issue with none of the actual adults stepping in to point out to Tommy or Felicity that Oliver and Mae's relationship needs Tommy to back off.  In the chapter that posted today, 

Spoiler

Oliver actually opened up to someone (Dig) about how much Tommy's closeness to Mae is bothering him, and all Dig said in regards to Tommy was that he was a big help to Felicity.  So frustrating.

Still, even though I understand that Tommy in this story is basically a kid who's only trying to help, I want to slap him.  Also, it make me feel like a bad person, but I kind of don't like Mae in this.  I keep telling myself she's just a baby, but then I'm like oh my god kid, just give your dad a hug!  I think maybe it's a good thing I don't have kids.

5 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Haha go for it! I love reading comments about fics and stuff. It's especially interesting to read comments about fics I DON'T read.

I saw that summary and skipped it. I am weird! I want an Olicitot in canon badly but have no patience for it in story unless it's in the very last chapter! Plus in my head cannon Felicity and Tommy have nothing to do with each other (or he is just Oliver's best friend whom she knows) so them being close always weirds me out and I won't read those fics! I always think they should sub Ray in that role =P

I like the way Tommy is deployed in He Deserves a Shot at Being Happy or Two Men Same Name but any hint of Flommy and I'm out! Ha should add that as my fanfic quirk! 

Sometimes the comments are the best part of a fic.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Hiveminder said:

Still, even though I understand that Tommy in this story is basically a kid who's only trying to help, I want to slap him.  Also, it make me feel like a bad person, but I kind of don't like Mae in this.  I keep telling myself she's just a baby, but then I'm like oh my god kid, just give your dad a hug!  I think maybe it's a good thing I don't have kids.

How old are they in this fic? I thought they'd be in their early 20s if Oliver went missing for a while after Felicity gave birth.

(edited)
4 minutes ago, bijoux said:

How old are they in this fic? I thought they'd be in their early 20s if Oliver went missing for a while after Felicity gave birth.

Mae was born in their senior year and she's just 2 so they're probably 19-20 but I think Felicity was a year younger than the others and graduated early.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
Just now, bijoux said:

They can't be any older than twenty, maybe twenty one.  Oliver went missing after their freshman year at college, I believe, and it's been a year since then.  Young enough that they could still under the effects of teenage hormones and don't have enough life experience to fall back on, but old enough that their collective denseness is still frustrating as hell.

It's at least not as bad as the first story in the series, where Felicity was such an asshole to Oliver sometimes that I kind of hated her, even though she had the excuse of being a teenager and having pregnancy hormones screwing her up.

• Love 1

Thank you both.

Upthread it was mentioned that Oliver was missing for three years, which is why I put them in their early 20s. Although I still imagine having to raise a child that young and stepping in to help a friend after your significant other/BFF went missing and was presumed dead (?) would make a person mature fast. From your coments, I guess not. I will say that learning that the daughter is only two, I wouldn't expect to react on anything but instinct and what feels safe and familiar.

(edited)
7 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Thank you both.

Upthread it was mentioned that Oliver was missing for three years, which is why I put them in their early 20s. Although I still imagine having to raise a child that young and stepping in to help a friend after your significant other/BFF went missing and was presumed dead (?) would make a person mature fast. From your coments, I guess not. I will say that learning that the daughter is only two, I wouldn't expect to react on anything but instinct and what feels safe and familiar.

I wouldn't either, logically, but in this story there's no way to get into Mae's head, so all she really is is someone who keeps rejecting Oliver and making him feel bad.  This is an issue with having really young kids play a major part in fiction that's not written from their point of view.  It can be really difficult to get the readers to connect with them when they essentially don't have a view point.

Edited by Hiveminder
(edited)

Have you noticed that there are trends that appear in fics?

There is another current surrogate father Tommy fic where Felicity and child talk about him as if he is the kid's step-dad but he never had a romantic relationship with Felicity. I don't think the kid's bio dad is Oliver either. 

I ended up bailing on the homeless Oliver fic because Felicity was becoming too overbearing and just interefering in his life without his input. I guess the Oliver in the story doesn't mind but it strikes me as odd since Thea and Oliver hate their cartoonishly evil parents because they dominated and controlled their lives. 

Edited by leopardprint
1 minute ago, leopardprint said:

Have you noticed that there are trends that appear in focus?

There is another current surrogate father Tommy fic where Felicity and child talk about him as if he is the kid's step-dad but he never had a romantic relationship with Felicity. I don't think the kid's bio dad is Oliver

I ended up bailing on the homeless Oliver fic because Felicity was becoming too overbearing and just interefering in his life without his input. I guess the Oliver in the story doesn't mind but it strikes me as odd since Thea and Oliver hate their cartoonishly evil parents because they dominated and controlled their lives. 

I notice that all the time.  Mostly, I think people see something in one fic, think it's neat, and incorporate it into their own.  That, or they read something that gets stuck in the back of their mind and they don't even realize where the idea came from when they end up writing it.

I think I know the surrogate dad Tommy fic you're talking about.  At first, I thought it was weird that Tommy was so involved in Felicity and her daughter's life, but after the last few chapters I just can't understand why Felicity still lets Tommy be around her daughter when

Spoiler

he apparently almost let her take vertigo while in his care, got in an accident while drunk which ended up with the kid breaking her arm, and still appears to be drinking and doing drugs.  I might be wrong about that last part because I kind of just skimmed that last chapter, but I'm pretty sure he's still drinking at least.

It just seems really irresponsible.

Something about the title, and the fact that Felicity can't remember much about her daughter's father makes me think Oliver might actually ed up being the bio dad, much to everyone's surprise.

As for the homeless Oliver fic, I'm mostly just reading to see what happens.  I keep wanting to warn Oliver that he's going to end up as Felicity's Stepford wife.

I truly do not understand Felicity/Tommy fics.  I know that we didn't see a whole lot of Tommy, so writers can kind of make him into whatever they need for the story, but I try to picture him with Felicity and I just don't get it.  If people want a canon character to pair with her there are more logical options, like Ray or Barry.  I mean, I just don't see Felicity being in to Tommy.  I guess some people think that if she fell for one billionaire playboy she'll fall for the other, but the billionaire part had nothing to do with why she was with Ray or Oliver, and the playboy factor was definitely not part of the attraction.  Felicity said that one of the reasons she fell in love with Oliver was because of his passion for going after criminals, honoring his fathers wish, trying to make the city better.  I see a similar quality in her other love interests.  Cooper, when they were at MIT, wanted to fight against capitalism (was it? I don't remember his specific hacktivist goals).  Ray wanted to help the city.  Barry wanted to prove that his father was innocent.  They all had a goal and purpose outside of themselves that they were working for, that was driving them.  I don't see that in Tommy.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Hiveminder said:

I keep wanting to warn Oliver that he's going to end up as Felicity's Stepford wife.

Hahaha, yes exactly! It's also weird that Oliver keeps saying he didn't want the life he had and she keeps "fixing" things so he can get it back. 

10 minutes ago, Hiveminder said:

I notice that all the time.  Mostly, I think people see something in one fic, think it's neat, and incorporate it into their own.  That, or they read something that gets stuck in the back of their mind and they don't even realize where the idea came from when they end up writing it.

Yes, I definitely meant it more as an observation not a criticism. It's just interesting they way people will fixate on similar elements and then take them off in their own directions. Almost fanfic for fanfic. 

1 minute ago, leopardprint said:

Yes, I definitely meant it more as an observation not a criticism. It's just interesting they way people will fixate on similar elements and then take them off in their own directions. Almost fanfic for fanfic. 

I feel like this is just the way the world works, especially these days when social media is so prevalent.  We build off of each other.

It's interesting sometimes to see how something can work out so well in one person's hands, and then be a flaming pile of failure in someone else's. 

• Love 2

I just don't see Flommy as a pairing in any universe in which Oliver is still alive.  Tommy/Thea is better provided Thea is not Malcolm's daughter.

I read the synopsis of a fic where Tommy and Laurel are dating and friends with Felicity, and then Oliver comes back and it ends Oliver/Laurel and Tommy/Felicity and I'm just all Nope.  Not even if it's well written.

• Love 2

Count me as some one else who doesn't think Felicity would ever be interested in Tommy or that they're compatible. Plus for the love of god no more Olicity + Tommy threesome polagmy fics. It's not sexy fic writers it's like creepy.

• Love 8

Tommy/Oliver makes more sense to me as a pairing than Tommy/Felicity. It doesn't help that most Tommy/Felicity fics are based on the premise that Oliver is an asshole that takes Felicity for granted and she deserves better, so let's put her with Tommy instead-- which is basically a rewrite of the Tommy/Laurel relationship on the show. NOPE.

• Love 4

Honestly, the only person I can ship Oliver with other than Felicity is Sara, and that's only short term.  Felicity, I could see being with Ray long term, but only if Oliver is absolutely not anywhere in the picture or picture adjacent.  And I see it being more a friend with some romance relationship.

22 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I just don't see Flommy as a pairing in any universe in which Oliver is still alive.  Tommy/Thea is better provided Thea is not Malcolm's daughter.

I read the synopsis of a fic where Tommy and Laurel are dating and friends with Felicity, and then Oliver comes back and it ends Oliver/Laurel and Tommy/Felicity and I'm just all Nope.  Not even if it's well written.

Were they at least upfront about this or was it a bait and switch?

15 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

Count me as some one else who doesn't think Felicity would ever be interested in Tommy or that they're compatible. Plus for the love of god no more Olicity + Tommy threesome polagmy fics. It's not sexy fic writers it's like creepy.

I think Tommy and Felicity would have been friends had Tommy not died or turned evil.

I agree on the polygamy fics, especially the ones that are longterm relationships with shared kids etc. 

• Love 1
Just now, Mellowyellow said:

Were they at least upfront about this or was it a bait and switch?

If it's the one I think it is then it was basically in the title.  I scroll past it every time I see an update.