Type keyword(s) to search

Criminal Minds Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

Me too! TG's acting was the only redeeming feature for me. I'll take your word that the B story was not bad as it is an episode I'll never watch again. Of course it doesn't help that I was a Beth hater and just felt they were trying to force us to like her! That was one of VW's very worst writing efforts IMO.

• Love 4

VeeWee wrote that?  Of course he did!  I loved the TG parts, inasmuch as he just knocked it out of the park.  But I did think it made light of what was just horrific in 100, which was such a special episode.  And I don't remember the case at all -- go figure.

• Love 4

Funny you mentioned Route66 because there was a re-run of it last Sunday, I just got to see the last part. Not a favourite at all, but there's so much Hotch in it. And his acting is soooo goood... 

Edited by senin
3 hours ago, normasm said:

Just making a sad observation: personally, while watching Route 66, I find the "B" plot, the unsub and his daughter on the run, so much better than the Hotch plot, and the lack of proper team concern for him.

The guy who played Eddie was really good, and the unraveling of the plan to get his daughter and go make a new life was interesting. On the other hand, Hotch's journey through his mind's trauma, and especially the ridiculous portrayal of Foyet, was bad. Gibson acted his pants off (don't get too excited, HG), but it was badly written. It's true that someone nearly dying under anesthesia might imagine all kinds of surreal things going on that wouldn't make sense, and he might imagine his dead ex-wife giving her blessing to his current GF, but the writers should have been more careful, again, IMO, to take care of the canon characters. Not have Hayley "inviting" Foyet, or having Foyet hug her and Hotch. So ridiculous, and tarnished both Hayley and Foyet. It could have been done more subtly and creepier (Foyet), sadder (Hayley), more poignant.

There's a lot of Hotch in it, and that's why I watch it. But overall, it's not the best episode and they should've written something better to show his talent. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, normasm said:

Just making a sad observation: personally, while watching Route 66, I find the "B" plot, the unsub and his daughter on the run, so much better than the Hotch plot, and the lack of proper team concern for him.

The guy who played Eddie was really good, and the unraveling of the plan to get his daughter and go make a new life was interesting. On the other hand, Hotch's journey through his mind's trauma, and especially the ridiculous portrayal of Foyet, was bad. Gibson acted his pants off (don't get too excited, HG), but it was badly written. It's true that someone nearly dying under anesthesia might imagine all kinds of surreal things going on that wouldn't make sense, and he might imagine his dead ex-wife giving her blessing to his current GF, but the writers should have been more careful, again, IMO, to take care of the canon characters. Not have Hayley "inviting" Foyet, or having Foyet hug her and Hotch. So ridiculous, and tarnished both Hayley and Foyet. It could have been done more subtly and creepier (Foyet), sadder (Hayley), more poignant.

You are not alone in this assertion.  Much as I as a Hotch fan loved and yearned for more screen time for personal favorite...a pretty natural thing I would suggest, I and many others did not want it 'at any cost'.  Even though TG did so well on this, I could see him struggle with some of it.  Good actor or not, if you simply have NOTHING to work with, or what you have is so off, it can be very hard to pull it off.  

I agree with others who say that it made light of '100'.  Absolutely.  Also, the whole Hayley giving him her ring at the end and encouraging him to not mess up with Beth.., why do that when they must have known that the chances of Bellamy Young being available was slim at best, so why put that out there?

Lots of holes, lots of lost opportunites, lots of everything - but we did get Hotch in tails, Hotch in a gown, and some lovely HH moments, so I guess its better than nothing...only just!

• Love 3

Just adding my agreement that while Gibson did a great job in Route 66, the story was terrible.  I never hated Beth, but I thought they were pushing too hard to get her accepted by the fandom.  I loved the other moments with Haley, and wished they had him do even more introspection about the time he was spending with Jack.  The Foyet part was stupid.

• Love 6

I didn't love Route 66 either, but mostly because I loathe dream sequences.  Also, I'm of the unpopular opinion of not hating Beth.  I didn't really care about her either, but I didn't hate her.

• Love 2

My unpopular opinion...

I preferred Gideon over Rossi...

I know Gideon was a drama queen and was insensitive at times, but he was a brilliant profiler and all his flaws added to the drama.

I also wanted the show should have been about profiling with Gideon, Reid and Hotch being more prominent and all other characters in more supporting roles.

I also love Reid/Morgan interactions when Morgan is being nice that is not the one like in Rabid.

Edited by ReidGirl
  • Love 3

Not so very unpopular. I thought Gideon brought an edge to the show. He was after all supposed to be a stressed and damaged intellectual still recovering from a major breakdown and always thinking out of the box. I hated the way MP left the show in the lurch but that doesnlt take away from how he played Gideon while he was there. I thought Rossi was great when he started as he also was a bit rogue and lone wolf in a different way but then they made him into cuddly Grandpa Rossi and part of the jolly happy family that Erica Messer wanted and that was when the show lost something edgy and unique and dramatic. Reid/Morgan had a great relationship most of the time but the nonsense in Rabid should be wiped from everyone's memory it was just so awful.

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, Old Dog said:

Not so very unpopular. I thought Gideon brought an edge to the show. He was after all supposed to be a stressed and damaged intellectual still recovering from a major breakdown and always thinking out of the box. I hated the way MP left the show in the lurch but that doesnlt take away from how he played Gideon while he was there. I thought Rossi was great when he started as he also was a bit rogue and lone wolf in a different way but then they made him into cuddly Grandpa Rossi and part of the jolly happy family that Erica Messer wanted and that was when the show lost something edgy and unique and dramatic. Reid/Morgan had a great relationship most of the time but the nonsense in Rabid should be wiped from everyone's memory it was just so awful.

Good to know I am not the only one with this opinion. I always thought lots of viewers liked Rossi more than Gideon.

Completely agree about wiping that nonsense in rabid. They wanted us to believe that even Garcia was physically fit than Reid. Really??

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ReidGirl said:

I also love Reid/Morgan interactions when Morgan is being nice that is not the one like in Rabid.

or the dick he was in 'LDSK'.....he's lucky Reid just tossed that whistle at him, I would have shoved it up his nose.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, ReidFan said:

or the dick he was in 'LDSK'.....he's lucky Reid just tossed that whistle at him, I would have shoved it up his nose.

See, yes he was a dick in LDSK but it was perfect for the Season one show. They hadn't been working together very long and I could imagine Morgan still wondering why someone like Reid was in the unit when he had had to work his way through the FBI to get his place. I enjoyed the little touches of discord and tension in the team - unlike these days when the dozens of newbies just spring fully formed and fitting in and the only attempt at any tension or struggle in the unit is the cringingly bad interaction between Garcia and Alvez! I think the way the team had to work round each other's foibles and ways of working is part of why the early seasons were so very special. There was the great antagonist Strauss who became all fluffy and "family" under Messer's influence. That original tension with her, Hotch and the team was so well done.

Edited by Old Dog
  • Love 5
33 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

I thought Reid fans are supposed to be passive aggressive ??... but I know what you mean... though I think Morgan was very good with Reid in first 4 seasons. They had a special relationship which was completely ignored in later seasons with main focus only on Morgan and Garcia. They tried to revive that realationship in season 11 for which I am thankful. I also hate the over the top banter between Morgan and Garcia in later seasons.

26 minutes ago, Old Dog said:

See, yes he was a dick in LDSK but it was perfect for the Season one show. They hadn't been working together very long and I could imagine Morgan still wondering why someone like Reid was in the unit when he had had to work his way through the FBI to get his place. I enjoyed the little touches of discord and tension in the team - unlike these days when the dozens of newbies just spring fully formed and fitting in and the only attempt at any tension or struggle in the unit is the cringingly bad interaction between Garcia and Alvez! I think the way the team had to work round each other's foibles and ways of working is part of why the early seasons were so very special. There was the great antagonist Strauss who became all fluffy and "family" under Messer's influence. That tension with her, Hotch and the team was so well done.

Yes agree with this. Now all we have is perfectly bland team interactions with no fallout or flaws in characters.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ReidGirl said:

I thought Reid fans are supposed to be passive aggressive ??... but I know what you mean... though I think Morgan was very good with Reid in first 4 seasons. They had a special relationship which was completely ignored in later seasons with main focus only on Morgan and Garcia. They tried to revive that realationship in season 11 for which I am thankful. I also hate the over the top banter between Morgan and Garcia in later seasons.

Yes agree with this. Now all we have is perfectly bland team interactions with no fallout or flaws in characters.

We should have a flawed character, or a team member with nefarious intentions in mind.

2 hours ago, Hotchgirl18 said:

We should have a flawed character, or a team member with nefarious intentions in mind.

Why? Why do you want people we trust and hold as heroes to be secret murderers or otherwise dysfunctional and destructive? I'm just asking, but, really, what is the attraction for investing in someone who is going to end up trying to rape or kill you? I don't LIKE people who are bent on hurting others, or themselves. 

Just seems a little juvenile to me. But then, I'm old.

• Love 5
On 3/21/2017 at 2:54 PM, normasm said:

For me the worst part of Route 66, besides the Beth love fest, was the wasted potential. This could have been a fantastic episode getting into Hotch's psyche, but instead we were treated to comic antics by Haley and Foyet and having them force their "Beth is the one for Hotch" point of view down our throats. I was so outraged by those things that I can't even remember a thing about the case. 

7 hours ago, ReidFan said:

I've always hated that. And another unpopular opinion of mine is that I dislike when Morgan calls Reid "pretty boy" as if that's all he is. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, normasm said:

Why? Why do you want people we trust and hold as heroes to be secret murderers or otherwise dysfunctional and destructive? I'm just asking, but, really, what is the attraction for investing in someone who is going to end up trying to rape or kill you? I don't LIKE people who are bent on hurting others, or themselves. 

Well, I think it would be interesting! I think it would provide a twist and get us away from the formula. Think about Gideon. He wasn't the nicest guy in the world. He was flawed. He was human. Plus , having a team member with ulterior motives would probably get the profiling up to par. 

Going on Messer 's "team is family" buisness : Even the best of families fight sometimes. Not all is perfect. If nothing, they need to bring a character in who was like Rossi, who had a hard time getting along with the team at first. And people make mistakes. Think about earlier seasons like Rossi in Limelight. Or Doubt. Not everything can be perfect all the time. This is Criminal Minds. Not I Love Lucy. 

Plus, if Criminal Minds is gonna use every crime show plot in the book, they might as well use the "team member with ulterior motives" plot .

7 hours ago, Hotchgirl18 said:

Luke or Reid. 

Messer is too happy happy frolicking in the flowers. This is Criminal Minds. NOT Happy Days!

Nope not Reid.... we have been trusting and loving him for so many seasons. Luke on the other hand I dont mind.

5 hours ago, normasm said:

Yes agree... I dont think they should show any veteran team member having bad intentions. Somehow I just dont really trust or like Luke yet.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, SSAHotchner said:

I've always hated that. And another unpopular opinion of mine is that I dislike when Morgan calls Reid "pretty boy" as if that's all he is. 

I dont mind Morgan calling Reid Pretty boy as such. But I was really angry at the end in Rabid when they are at hospital, he says something like 

"I hope they have not messed with your face much as that is your best asset". Seriously Morgan?

Edited by ReidGirl
  • Love 1

I actually felt like the show was more of a "family" in the pre Erica Messer showrunner seasons. The idea wasn't shoved down our throats, and we saw a lot of interesting interaction. But that all changed when Erica took charge. I have an inherent distaste for sentiment or too much fluffiness (especially unearned fluffiness), and that is what most of the team interactions became under the new regime. It's saccharine and it just feels oh so fake to me. It honestly  makes me recoil (but again, any show that tries to foist that sort of dynamic on me would foster the same reaction). 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, ForeverAlone said:

I actually felt like the show was more of a "family" in the pre Erica Messer showrunner seasons. The idea wasn't shoved down our throats, and we saw a lot of interesting interaction. But that all changed when Erica took charge. I have an inherent distaste for sentiment or too much fluffiness (especially unearned fluffiness), and that is what most of the team interactions became under the new regime. It's saccharine and it just feels oh so fake to me. It honestly  makes me recoil (but again, any show that tries to foist that sort of dynamic on me would foster the same reaction). 

Me too. I think Erica picked the wrong show to produce! Lol. And I miss sassy, snarky Rossi. He was funny. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, ReidGirl said:

I dont mind Morgan calling Reid Pretty boy as such. But I was really angry at the end in Rabid when they are at hospital, he says something like 

"I hope they have not messed with your face much as that is your best asset". Seriously Morgan?

Yeah! This from the guy who never misses a chance to be photographed/filmed without a shirt on. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Willowy said:

The most unpopular opinion of them all:

I LIKE MORGAN and I'm glad he's coming back!

Hey as I said I do love Morgan and Reid interactions when Morgan is not being a jerk. I loved them in earlier seaons then the show runners forgot that Morgan had a very close friendship with Reid and not just Garcia. Though it made a great comeback in season 10 and 11 and I absolutely love those scenes in Nelson's Sparrow, Entropy and A beautiful disaster. 

• Love 1
On 3/28/2017 at 1:24 AM, ReidGirl said:

I actually kind of liked that line, it felt ad-libbed to me. Morgan seems to be the only one capable of acknowledging how handsome Reid is. Small thing, but I'll take it. :)

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Willowy said:

I actually kind of liked that line, it felt ad-libbed to me. Morgan seems to be the only one capable of acknowledging how handsome Reid is. Small thing, but I'll take it. :)

Yup may be, never thought about it like that.... as Matthew and Shemar are extremely good friends off screen.

If that is the case then I don't mind that comment :-)

I actually love their bromance on this show. They have many tender moments of pure love and friendship.

Just that I cannot stand the jokes they made at Reid's expense in Rabid. That episode just tried to turn him into some sort of caricature. 

I hear you and you're not alone in your opinion, many people can't stand that episode. I on the other hand, really liked it and gave it a nice review. Despite all the growling, screaming, and foaming at the mouth from the victim (who I thought was really awesome in the role, I've always liked that actress), I kind of felt that ep was meant to have a lighter tone and be more comedic, and even though it didn't fire on all cylinders, I just went with it. Also loved that we finally got to see Reid in shorts, woooo!

The best part about that episode for me was Chris Coy as the victim the BAU were able to get to in time. What a talented actor, he is. His sweet character seemed to have such a sad, lonely life, but came off as a really good person. I like it when they take some time with a rootable victim.

Edited by Willowy
Foy is not Coy
  • Love 2

I'm excited to have found this place! I have so many UOs to share, with the disclaimer that none of these are ever intended to annoy or upset anyone and I understand and respect that most will disagree because they're unpopular opinions for a reason. :-) 

I love JJ. I will admit that I've fanwanked a lot about her and the fact that she has a sibling who committed suicide really resonates with me, so some of what I like might be more about how I personally perceive her than what we've seen on screen. I agree with the popular opinion that she was better as a media liaison, especially as that job highlighted the interesting dichotomy of how she was so great at interacting with the public at large but, beneath the pleasant and friendly demeanor, guarded, private and closed off when it comes to the people closest to her. And it's not like this team really needed yet another profiler. It was much more interesting to see someone fulfilling a different role even if we didn't get to see as much of it as I'd have liked. 

Similarly, I love Will/JJ based on the relatively little we've see of them. 

I can't bear Gideon for some reason. It's to the point where S3-S5 are the peak seasons for me because it's hard for me to love the show while Gideon is a part of it. 

Other than Gideon and maybe Morgan, I love every single character. I even liked Seaver!

I love Reid's hair in all its many incarnations :-)

I mentioned that S3-S5 are the peak seasons for me, but if I had to pick just one favorite I think it would be season 3, which seems to be a somewhat unpopular choice? Most people I know would pick either S1 or S4 as their very favorite, but as great as those are, S3 is even better to me. I even love the episodes most don't, like In Heat :-)

The newer seasons aren't as good for a variety of reasons, but I've come to terms with the fact that I'll never break free of my addiction to this show. As long as it's still on, I'll still be watching it! 

I really like Luke and think he's an improvement over Morgan. 

Thank you for reading! 

• Love 5
(edited)

I started out liking Garcia. Now I can't stand her. I can't help it. She's starting to rub me the wrong way.

I don't mind Luke.

The show without Hotch is meaningless. It's only hanging by a thread (for me) because of Reid. Seriously, bring him back!

I really don't care if Morgan doesn't come back. I like him but I don't care enough about him to come back.

The writers need to stop ending their seasons with car crashes. Seriously!

I don't like the fact that nobody seems to be affected by the crimes when they first look at the photos. (Except Reid. He actually shows emotions.)

JJ is okay (for the most part). AJ needs to tone down her character's 'too cool' for everyone attitude a little so she can become more tolerable.

Stop the JJ/Reid shipping. He's a 100x better than she will ever be. Also, I don't see their chemistry at all. 

JLH's character was so boring.

Elle Greenway needs to come back.

Rossi needs better lines. Sometimes I feel like his lines are a bit too cheesy.

Kat's girlfriend (I forgot her name) needs to come back.

Mr. Scratch is one of the most boring villians on the show. 

I like Reid's drug addiction problem. I also liked the initial bisexual storyline the writers had for him.

I hate that KAT turned out to be a lesbian. I want her to end up with Reid. 

The writers need to stop making MGG's character so dorky. I like his aggressive side. It's incredibly sexy.

Reid needs to become less miserable and more evil. (He can return to his good side but I wanna see more of his darker side for some time. )

Don't kill me

Edited by In My Zone
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, In My Zone said:

I started out liking Garcia. Now I can't stand her. I can't help it. She's starting to rub me the wrong way.

I don't mind Luke.

The show without Hotch is meaningless. It's only hanging by a thread (for me) because of Reid. Seriously, bring him back!

I really don't care if Morgan doesn't come back. I like him but I don't care enough about him to come back.

The writers need to stop ending their seasons with car crashes. Seriously!

I don't like the fact that nobody seems to be affected by the crimes when they first look at the photos. (Except Reid. He actually shows emotions.)

JJ is okay (for the most part). AJ needs to tone down her character's 'too cool' for everyone attitude a little so she can become more tolerable.

Stop the JJ/Reid shipping. He's a 100x better than she will ever be. Also, I don't see their chemistry at all. 

JLH's character was so boring.

Elle Greenway needs to come back.

Rossi needs better lines. Sometimes I feel like his lines are a bit too cheesy.

Kat's girlfriend (I forgot her name) needs to come back.

Mr. Scratch is one of the most boring villians on the show. 

I like Reid's drug addiction problem. I also liked the initial bisexual storyline the writers had for him.

I hate that KAT turned out to be a lesbian. I want her to end up with Reid. 

The writers need to stop making MGG's character so dorky. I like his aggressive side. It's incredibly sexy.

Reid needs to become less miserable and more evil. (He can return to his good side but I wanna see more of his darker side for some time. )

Don't kill me

I agree with everything you say. This is the gospel as far as I'm concerned. I hate JJ with a passion. As much as I love Hotch. And ditto on Reid 's aggressive \darker side. Hotter than hell. 

• Love 1
Just now, Hotchgirl18 said:

I agree with everything you say. This is the gospel as far as I'm concerned. I hate JJ with a passion. As much as I love Hotch. And ditto on Reid 's aggressive \darker side. Hotter than hell. 

I never understood the hate for JJ. I thought she was fine until I started reading this forum, then I started noticing things about her that I never even thought about. It's so depressing.. 

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, In My Zone said:

I never understood the hate for JJ. I thought she was fine until I started reading this forum, then I started noticing things about her that I never even thought about. It's so depressing.. 

I've hated her since season 7. 

"Look at me! Look at me! I'm the best profiler now. I'm too cool for my teammates and I can boss people around even though I'm not the unit chief!"

• Love 1

LOL HG....but you're right. I've never particularly liked JJ but I absolutely loathed her when she came back in season 7. For exactly the reasons you gave. And Proof. Just wanted to reach into the tv and slap that &@#$&@#$.....

out of seven current cast members, she's still number 8 on my favourites list though, behind everyone else. And Roxy, who's my second favourite after Reid O:-)

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

LOL HG....but you're right. I've never particularly liked JJ but I absolutely loathed her when she came back in season 7. For exactly the reasons you gave. And Proof. Just wanted to reach into the tv and slap that &@#$&@#$.....

out of seven current cast members, she's still number 8 on my favourites list though, behind everyone else. And Roxy, who's my second favourite after Reid O:-)

I want to slap that blonde bitch silly. She needs to get knocked off the high horse. 

1 hour ago, ReidFan said:

1 hour ago, Hotchgirl18 said:

I want to slap that blonde bitch silly. She needs to get knocked off the high horse. 

Ouch.. 

• Love 1
On 6/14/2017 at 7:57 AM, In My Zone said:

I don't mind Luke.

Stop the JJ/Reid shipping.

He's a 100x better than she will ever be. Also, I don't see their chemistry at all. 

I still like Garcia, she's got a good heart, loves her BAU family and means well but I do wish she'd dial back the inappropriateness. I will suffer through her juvenile moments in order to savour the wonderful ones, like in Amplification and Green Light though.

LOL, I was determined to dislike Luke. ("another newbie! why!?") I'm warming up to him a little I suppose, I don't growl at the screen every time he's on anymore lol. They've done some good stuff to make his character likeable- Roxy, that was genius...More Roxy please. And he absolutely won me over when he served up that dish of karma to Calvin Shaw in 'Red Light.'  Don't wanna see them develop any sort of Garvez though. Please don't try to reestablish that Morgan/Garcia sort of relationship with Alvez.

Don't care much for JJ personally and I completely agree that a JJ/Reid ship would never wash on the show. But I will say that their friendship is appreciable onscreen; *that* chemistry I do buy into. And  while I've got absolutely no interest in, and would never buy into a JJ/Reid love relationship, I do understand that some people are fond of it and I fully support anyone who wants to flex a creative muscle and write that 'ship. (as if anyone needs my approval LOL...)

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

I still like Garcia, she's got a good heart, loves her BAU family and means well but I do wish she'd dial back the inappropriateness. I will suffer through her juvenile moments in order to savour the wonderful ones, like in Amplification and Green Light though.

LOL, I was determined to dislike Luke. ("another newbie! why!?") I'm warming up to him a little I suppose, I don't growl at the screen every time he's on anymore lol. They've done some good stuff to make his character likeable- Roxy, that was genius...More Roxy please. And he absolutely won me over when he served up that dish of karma to Calvin Shaw in 'Red Light.'  Don't wanna see them develop any sort of Garvez though. Please don't try to reestablish that Morgan/Garcia sort of relationship with Alvez.

Don't care much for JJ personally and I completely agree that a JJ/Reid ship would never wash on the show. But I will say that their friendship is appreciable onscreen; *that* chemistry I do buy into. And  while I've got absolutely no interest in, and would never buy into a JJ/Reid love relationship, I do understand that some people are fond of it and I fully support anyone who wants to flex a creative muscle and write that 'ship. (as if anyone needs my approval LOL...)

Eh... Luke's alright. I like his dog. Lol. Still glare everytime I  see Emily though. I just wish Garcia would grow up. 

• Love 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, ReidFan said:

The thing with JJ is that I think AJ Cook exhibits certain mannerisms when she delivers her lines that make her come off as a bit.. condescending (maybe?) and stuck up. I watched a show for her a few years ago called Tru Calling where she had that same kind of stuck up attitude in it. At first, I thought it was her character then when I saw her on Criminal Minds and I realized that maybe it has to do with AJ's line delivery. I dont know..

Edited by In My Zone
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Hotchgirl18 said:

*sigh* I wish things could return to the way they were. Is that an unpopular opinion? 

The only thing I need to return is Hotch. And Blake. I'm sick of watching this show without Hotch. Don't get me wrong, I love Emily to death but TG was really something..

• Love 1
4 hours ago, In My Zone said:

The only thing I need to return is Hotch. And Blake. I'm sick of watching this show without Hotch. Don't get me wrong, I love Emily to death but TG was really something..

That's essentially what I mean. I want Hotch back. And I want the show to return to its roots. 

• Love 1