Type keyword(s) to search

Jimmy Kimmel Live - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The interview with Ken Bone was fun to watch, mostly because Ken himself came off very well. I don't think Jimmy was exaggerating his love or simply jumping on the social media Bone-wagon, because he has a history of falling in love with You Tube "regular Joe" personalities and having them on the show.

I don't know how the show managed to get that Simpsons segment approved and shot, but it was awesome. The voice was definitely Jimmy's but it was also cartoon-ed up a bit. I assume he did that himself instead of it being autotuned or something? I think his years of radio experience came into play -- he does have a soothing voice when you're just listening.

I think this show has stopped being funny--the interviews are okay but the shtick outside the studio is just stupid. Last night: Older married couples saying how many times a month they have sex (and agreeing to do the bit before they know the question)--c'mon, just stupid and embarrassing for them. The head shot booth so the giant sidewalk head can be superimposed on Kimmel or a celebrity guest has never made me laugh, as the talking head is rarely quick with words. Still my late night choice but hoping for better.

The taped Maury bit was no Handsome Men's Club, but there were almost as many stars and Molly was a good sport.

Jimmy, I promise I won't watch Matt Damon's new movie, The Great Wall. But only because I always wait for streaming.

Too bad the world spoiled Jimmy's supposed exclusive unveiling of the new bachelorette. Say what you will about Chris Harrison, but the man wears some very well tailored suits.

Enjoyed Tracy Morgan's response to Kimmel's question asking he had enough money to buy Morgan's beloved NY Knicks basketball team.  Morgan got a sly grin on his face and said "It wasn't a Bob's Furniture Company truck that hit me..." adding "Everything in the store costs a penny more because of me"

Glad to see he's back in the groove.

Edited by kib

If you're a student of the talk show genre it's worth having a look at the Sofia Black-D'Elia interview they ran tonight (from a 3/14/17 broadcast).  Johnny Carson himself would have submitted it for his Emmy reel.  What could have, in less skilled hands, been little more than "ingenue hawks latest project" squander of videotape, Kimmel made some genuinely and entertaining television and Black-D'Elia won over an audience that was palatable cold with the idea of wasting a perfectly fine afternoon touring the streets of Hollywood to listen to this week's "it" girl.

Rather than rote recital Jimmy listened to a clearly nervous Black-D'Elia, followed the road less traveled and turned it into simply a girl talking about her Dad.

Very human. Very charming.

Before it was over it appeared everyone in the room was having a grand time.  The moonshot was successful.  I imagine anyone that may have sat in that metaphorical chair, from now to back when orthocon tubes made the pictures fly through the air, would say "Yeah, that's how it's done".

(Watching Thomas Keller cook was pretty sweet too)

• Love 1

Jimmy is, for the most part, genuinely entranced by the goofballs and nerds of the world and it shows in his interviews. I'm sure I've said it here before that I think he's the best interviewer of all the late night hosts. He's also adept at making small talk with people Sal rounds up for street bits or during a big board segment with viewers.

My beef with Jimmy lately is that he hasn't visited the barber shop in a while! He's great in the remote pieces.

Does anyone know what happened to Adelina, the security guard who used to be featured a lot? She sat outside Jimmy's office, mostly eating all day, and the staff used to prank her a lot.

Edited by Lord Donia

I sobbed watching this. I loved that Jimmy shared this and think the way he made a point of thanking everyone in his life by name was very sweet. I can't imagine just how emotionally exhausted he is little over a week later so I get why he cried.

I also think his point about tying his personal situation back to the current discussion over healthcare is a good one. It's easy to be abstract when talking about healthcare; its another thing when a crying parent is telling you about how their family will be impacted. The more faces on that story the better because it's a reminder to everyone on either side of the debate that this isn't about getting a win, it's about families.

• Love 18

I don't really 'get' Jimmy as a comedian or a host, and this won't change that, but this monologue really endeared him to me on a human level. It is so touching, and so impressive, that he thanked that many people by name. It's usually such a frenzied, scary blur when you're going through medical crises and surgery that it's hard to latch onto the little details, the medical terminology and the names of the many nurses rotating in and out of the room. It's very sweet that he remembered and acknowledged the entire team, and used his spotlight to not only underscore the importance of NIH and ACA, but to drive people to donate to the hospital who saved his son's life. What a mensch.

• Love 7
(edited)

That was wrenching. I wasn't counting the months or anything and didn't put it together why the show was off last week, so this was a complete surprise. I hadn't seen any news about the birth, either.

Wishing Jimmy and Molly strength and calm as they continue to deal with this. I've become quite fond of Jimmy over the years as his genuine kindness and thoughtfulness have become clearer to me.

It probably took many of us back to his tears and sorrow during his tribute to Uncle Frank. Sigh.

Jimmy's plea about health care was all the more poignant because he almost never espouses his own political opinions.

Edited by Lord Donia
  • Love 5

I've loved Jimmy Kimmel since I discovered him on "Win Ben Stein's Money".  And while I find him quite sexy (humor does that) I'd give anything to be a friend of the family.  Not gonna happen, but it would be nice.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

And while I find him quite sexy (humor does that) I'd give anything to be a friend of the family.

You'd have to contend with Aunt Chippy!

• Love 1

I've just recently started watching Jimmy Kimmel, and after that beautiful monologue, I will for a long time. To mention and thank each nurse and doctor by name was a class act, as well as asking for prayers and donations for the Children's hospital.

I appreciate that Kimmel rarely gets political, but sometimes these things need to be said.  The plea for universal health care was spot on.  Kimmel recognized that he's fortunate to have the means to provide his family's medical needs, but still came across as truly humble and genuinely grateful for the care that his baby received.  

So happy to hear that little Billy is doing well.  

• Love 4

I don't really 'get' Jimmy as a comedian or a host, and this won't change that, but this monologue really endeared him to me on a human level. It is so touching, and so impressive, that he thanked that many people by name. It's usually such a frenzied, scary blur when you're going through medical crises and surgery that it's hard to latch onto the little details, the medical terminology and the names of the many nurses rotating in and out of the room. It's very sweet that he remembered and acknowledged the entire team, and used his spotlight to not only underscore the importance of NIH and ACA, but to drive people to donate to the hospital who saved his son's life. What a mensch.

Well said. I was thinking the same things but couldn't have summed it up as nicely as you did.

• Love 1

I just don't see how the ACA was a factor. He's a millionaire. He had the money regardless.

I have insurance and I just had surgery and I can tell you insurance isn't the problem. It's the cost of treatment and the ridiculous hospital prices.

(edited)

The ACA was a factor-- or rather, the GOP's attempt to reverse it was a factor-- because Billy was born with a preexisting condition. It's not, like that Alabama representative said, that he didn't take care of himself and therefore is undeserving of medical care. The GOP wants to gut the ACA's provision prohibiting the loss of insurance coverage for people with preexisting conditions. The GOP is going to try to slide through, again, by saying that people will have "access" to health care, but it will be prohibitively expensive. So for his own son and the other babies at LA Children's hospital, Jimmy was talking about preexisting conditions.

He talked about the general cost of health care in the context of the other families at the hospital, not of his own insurance (which, I agree with you, is probably great). 

He used his own, recent, shattering experience to speak out on a current national issue. You could see it was hard for him to relive it.  I admire him for it. 

Edited by Mystery
  • Love 11

Health care isn't about politics. Human rights isn't about politics. I'm glad Kimmel and Colbert and Seth Meyers are engaging their audiences and keeping us entertained at the same time. It's not one thing or the other, IMO.

• Love 11

I'm enjoying the guest hosts so far. They're not necessarily instantly great at it, but I find their nerves to be part of the charm.

I'd actually be in favor of a guest host every week on Fridays, like Carson used to do. It livens things up a bit.

• Love 1
(edited)

What do you mean, Will Arnett was too red?

Will looked sunburned; literally red.

I like Kristen Bell in general and enjoyed her episode. I think Adam Scott was genuinely freaked out about Mark Hamill. He was a good sport about it. The (sigh) promposal was only acceptable because of Kristen's song.

Edited by Lord Donia

While tbh I haven't been a big Jimmy Kimmel fan, this story moved me to tears. I'm glad that Kimmel is using his platform to educate people about the need for the best health care, regardless of income, class or politics. I believe that Kimmel not only knows how lucky he to be able to afford the best health care for his kids, he also empathizes with those who don't have the money, the power and the access he does.  

As far as I'm concerned, no child-especially a baby-deserves to die because their parents were too poor, the insurance companies are too greedy, the system is too complicated and the government is too mean to save them. 

• Love 6
On 5/4/2017 at 0:27 PM, Lord Donia said:

I'm enjoying the guest hosts so far. They're not necessarily instantly great at it, but I find their nerves to be part of the charm.

I'd actually be in favor of a guest host every week on Fridays, like Carson used to do. It livens things up a bit.

Yes, I really enjoyed this past week for the most part. I think the best part was that each host had on a good friend to come on the show, and I think that was nice because it helped put the host at ease, and I felt that I learned more about the guest that way too instead of the guest having some kind of stock story or obviously not wanting to be there (I'm looking at you Guy Ritchie). 

9 hours ago, Lord Donia said:

Will looked sunburned; literally red.

I like Kristen Bell in general and enjoyed her episode. I think Adam Scott was genuinely freaked out about Mark Hamill. He was a good sport about it. The (sigh) promposal was only acceptable because of Kristen's song.

I liked everyone's episode, and I couldn't rank them because they all had their pluses and minuses. I think Will Arnett came off the most nervous, but I liked his monologue and his interviews with Maya Rudolph and Benjamin McKenzie. I think Anthony Anderson and George Lopez had the best interview of the week because it was exactly like two old friends talking instead of a regular interview. Kristen Bell did a nice job, and I could see her maybe becoming a daytime host one day because of how cheery she is, and how I could see her doing things like the promposals on her shows. I just wish they hadn't had the "substitute teacher" sketch because I didn't think it was that funny and seemed pointless to me. 

I thought David Spade had an enjoyable show for the most part, but I don't know what they were doing with Guillermo. Maybe there was a punchline at the end I missed because I had to turn it off because Guy Ritchie was such a killjoy to watch. Of course, I also felt bad for Spade because he had the worst guest of the week in Ritchie. I get that he probably hates having to do publicity for his films, and it seems like King Arthur isn't going to do well financially which Ritchie probably also knows, but would it have killed him to make the interview a little bit less painful to watch. 

• Love 1

I liked all the cold opens for the week. They were amusing and different from what Jimmy usually does.

I know David Spade is hit or miss with people, but I've always liked his comedy and still miss his silly Showbiz Show. He looked comfortable onstage but so rarely wears a suit that I was kind of obsessed with it.

23 minutes ago, mortonsalt said:

I thought David Spade had an enjoyable show for the most part, but I don't know what they were doing with Guillermo.

You mean the Voice chair turning thing? I don't think there was anything more to it than that? But thanks for the tip about the Guy Ritchie interview so I could skip it. He's kind of a git anyway.

• Love 1