Type keyword(s) to search

Jimmy Kimmel Live - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Watching the first episodes of Colbert reminded me again that I truly believe Kimmel is one of the best late night interviewers. Granted, he's been doing it for more than a decade now, but he actually listens to his guests, asks follow up questions and interjects jokes at appropriate moments. Miley Cyrus aside, he rarely stumbles or seems bored/disinterested. Even if I'm not particularly interested in a specific guest, I'll sometimes watch just to see what Jimmy brings to the interview.

Yes, I agree. (Entertainment Weekly's TV critic praised Kimmel for his interviewing skills a few years ago, especially with women.)

Before Colbert started, the snooty TV pundits tended to think of Kimmel as a frat boy prankster, and that Colbert (whom I like) was going to become late-night's best interviewer. But Kimmel is indeed really good at talking to people,

I just saw the Jimmy/Emily Blunt interview from the other night, and you can just tell that they're friends in real life and she felt totally at ease with him. It was great.

They're actually not only good friends, but neighbors. And she and John Krasinski have been very close to the Kimmels for the past few years....

So Donald Trump canceled on Jimmy Kimmel Live at the last minute..

Perhaps Trump canceled because he saw he'd be the No. 2 guest.

Jay-Z is important and all, and he's from Brooklyn, but -- like him or not -- Trump is the most talked about person in the U.S. these days.

So why is he No. 2?

It reminds me of the time that Kimmel finally landed Julia Roberts as a guest, and he slotted her as the No. 2 guest (after Sally Field). Why not book her for a night when she could be the No. 1 guest?

Also, Kimmel is doing a rare Friday show from Brooklyn, and he has on Howard Stern. The thing is Stern is the type of guest whose comments are likely to be talked about the next day, when people are at work. But when you have him on Friday night, his appearance will be lost to the weekend.

2rh0kqw.png

• Love 1

I adore this man and this show.  Harrison Ford was a tough interview and he managed to get through it with wit and grace.  Ford is showing his age, I guess.  He was very nervous, too.  He kept rubbing the arm of the chair.  

I had to laugh when Leno said he preferred Fallon because Jimmy is mean.  HA!  He is hysterical, that is what he is. 

I had to laugh when Leno said he preferred Fallon because Jimmy is mean.  HA!  He is hysterical, that is what he is.

I enjoy Jimmy's show and have seen him be very considerate and kind to almost everyone. He genuinely does seem to care about others. I was therefore very surprised when he went after Leno in such a public, deliberate and vicious way. It was completely out of character for him. I realize that Jimmy idolizes Letterman, but it was still uncalled for. My respect for Jimmy went down a lot after that spectacle.

I enjoy Jimmy's show and have seen him be very considerate and kind to almost everyone. He genuinely does seem to care about others. I was therefore very surprised when he went after Leno in such a public, deliberate and vicious way. It was completely out of character for him. I realize that Jimmy idolizes Letterman, but it was still uncalled for. My respect for Jimmy went down a lot after that spectacle.

I missed that.  When and where did it happen?  He has been having a mock feud with Leno for years.  It has always been in fun.  

Edited by wings707

Kimmel was a guest on The Tonight Show via satellite and he took the opportunity to go after Leno.

This is a brief explanation by Kimmel on why he hates Leno (no reason, really).

That was back in 2010!  

I have never cared for Leno and always been a Letterman/Kimmel fan.  I can now add Seth Meyers to my late night favorites. 

Maybe Hugh didn't want to switch accents back and forth, but I think it's just because most people (maybe rightfully) think American audiences are dumb and would be confused if he talked in his natural speech THEN switched to House's way of speaking.

This is not restricted to Kimmel, but it makes me roll my eyes when someone who has a new a baby acts like it's their first child when it isn't. Kimmel has two grown children, including another daughter. The talk about "my daughter" in reference to his youngest is annoying. Jimmy talks to guests like he's never had babies or toddlers before.

I feel bad for the older children who have seemingly been scrubbed from memory, is what it is.

As an Episcopalian born and raised in NYC, one of the things I was taught at an early age was to be respectful and mindful of other people's religion.  Jimmy seems to believe that everyone is a Christian.  Perhaps he should read up on his guests.  Last December, he asked Joseph Gordon-Leavitt if his family had any Christmas tradition.  Joseph politely replied that they don't because they are Jewish.  Last night, he asked Ashton Kutcher if his daughter saw the Easter Bunny.  Poor Ashton hemmed and hawed about not wanting to confuse her with a bunny laying eggs.  Jimmy should have known that Ashton's wife, Mila, is Jewish and that they were probably raising their daughter in that faith.  I don't believe Steve Colbert would make such faux pas.

This is not restricted to Kimmel, but it makes me roll my eyes when someone who has a new a baby acts like it's their first child when it isn't. Kimmel has two grown children, including another daughter. The talk about "my daughter" in reference to his youngest is annoying. Jimmy talks to guests like he's never had babies or toddlers before.

I feel bad for the older children who have seemingly been scrubbed from memory, is what it is.

Jimmy Kimmel's kids are in their early to mid 20s (born in 1991 and 1993). Kevin Kimmel has been on the show a few times, most recently to play a prank on his dad. Kimmel, I believe, even credited him for an app he discovered that Kimmel used on the show. Kimmel put his daughter through art school, and is supporting her in her quest to become a legit artist.

But it makes sense to be awed by the new baby, especially when it's been 21 years since the last one and he's in a different and more secure place in his life.

acFhs82.png

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 1

But it makes sense to be awed by the new baby, especially when it's been 21 years since the last one and he's in a different and more secure place in his life.

True.  When Jimmy's first two were born he was probably working away from the home just to make ends meet.  As his income income improved and his work hours were more within his control, he was able to spend more time (and money) with his first two.

When this last child was born, Jimmy was living in a very nice house and only working four days a week, and lots of weeks off where his show is in reruns.  It makes sense that he's able to pick up on a lot of stuff that he missed the first two times around.

He seems to be a good dad and soon he'll probably be a great grandpa.  (It's so much easier to be a grandparent when you aren't with the child all the time and can make Grandparent time the equivalent of parenting Disneyland.  I'll have to get back to you on that, as none of my children have yet seen fit to procreate...)

ETA  Sorry. I couldn't get the blasted post to post correctly.  My first paragraph is now in the quote box along with the quote I was responding to.  I've tried twice and don't feel confident about fixing it now, so here it is.

Edited by Zahdii

When this last child was born, Jimmy was living in a very nice house and only working four days a week, and lots of weeks off where his show is in reruns.  It makes sense that he's able to pick up on a lot of stuff that he missed the first two times around.

I could totally be wrong about this, but between Aug. 17, when Kimmel returned from a two-week break with a new beard, and the week ending this week, March 31, Kimmel has only taken 2 weeks off: The week of Christmas and the week of New Year' Day.

He worked 2 days the week of Thanksgiving and did 5 shows the week of the Oscars.

But I've noticed he really hasn't been taking vacations lately.

Here's my guide on this info, by the way (again, I could be wrong).

http://epguides.com/JimmyKimmelLive/

Part of it, I would guess, is the added competition with Stephen Colbert. The week that Fallon and Colbert had off in October -- six weeks after Colbert started and which was capped off with Kimmel visiting The Late Show -- Kimmel did his show from Brooklyn.

I don't know if Kimmel shows up to work on Fridays, but the 4-day-a-week talk shows use Fridays to catch up on things and to film special bits.

Why do I notice this? Because as much as I like Kimmel, I like shows to have more breaks because there's so much to watch as it is.

Man, I am as over Robert Downey Jr. as he clearly is over doing press for Marvel. At least Don Cheadle and Paul Bettany acted like they wanted to be on last night's show instead of at home scrubbing the kitchen or whatever Downey would have rather been doing. (Team Captain America the other night wisely left perpetual foot-swallower Renner behind and brought the cast members who can muster up some charm).

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 1

And we know Downey can be a delightful raconteur when he wants to.

The actors who think they're above doing press can bite me. I don't care if they're personally uncomfortable being themselves without a script to hide behind, or have had a bad week, or are exhausted. Do some freaking acting for 8 minutes! Someone like Downey probably makes more from one movie than I will in my entire lifetime and I expect him to dance for my entertainment, dammit.

I mostly feel sorry for the hosts having to sweat and grin when guests are so obviously over it.

Edited by lordonia
(edited)

Re Jimmy's climate change speech -- it always amuses me when he gets serious about an issue because he so rarely does. I dunno if a lot of deniers watch his show, but god bless him for trying.

I hate yogurt so it's fine with me if everyone starts disbelieving in that instead.

On 8/25/2015 at 9:27 AM, nowandlater said:

What really, really, really annoys me about Kimmel is when he returns from break and he refuses to shave. Usually, it's for just one week. But he still has the beard in his 2nd week back from vacation.

That was last August, so you must be hella irritated by now.  :)

Edited by lordonia
3 hours ago, lordonia said:

Re Jimmy's climate change speech -- it always amuses me when he gets serious about an issue because he so rarely does. I dunno if a lot of deniers watch his show, but god bless him for trying.

I hate yogurt so it's fine with me if everyone starts disbelieving in that instead.

That was last August, so you must be hella irritated by now.  :)

Actually, it's been so long that I barely notice nowadays. I am actually shocked when I see old clean-shaven photos of him.

My problem, I guess, was one of somebody changing their looks. All I ask for is consitency.

32 minutes ago, lordonia said:

Loved Brad Paisley's bathroom gender song! Maybe I need to stop fast-forwarding past his interviews if he's always this funny.

I never knew he was this witty either.  I will pay attention in the future!

• Love 1