Type keyword(s) to search

Jimmy Kimmel Live - General Discussion

• Start Topic

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Gary Oldman, of movie and "standing up to political correctness" fame, is going to be on tonight.  They have to talk about Gary dropping racist, sexist and homophobic slurs and throwing out old anti-Semetic tropes in an interview, right?  It would be a huge thing to ignore unless tonight's appearance was pre-taped.

• Love 1
(edited)

Gary Oldman, of movie and "standing up to political correctness" fame, is going to be on tonight.  They have to talk about Gary dropping racist, sexist and homophobic slurs and throwing out old anti-Semetic tropes in an interview, right?  It would be a huge thing to ignore unless tonight's appearance was pre-taped.

We'll see. Oldman is a friend of the Kimmel show, having participated in many taped bits. His last appearance was just 4 months ago.

So maybe Kimmel goes soft on him? Or perhaps allow him to have his "Jonah Hill Apology" moment.

UPDATE: IT was addressed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANpttfdbe9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caUint9Axwo

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 1

I was kind of impressed with his apology, but at the same time I suspect he was acting.  The pauses and voice quivering seemed to be a deliberate acting choices on his part IMO.  But he would have never had to apologize if he had found a way to get his point across without the slurs, Mel Gibson apologism and anti-Semitism.  I would have still thought GO was an idiot, but I wouldn't have been that offended.

We've been watching lately, and maybe it's just me, but I think Jimmy has adapted well to 11:30 and I'm finding his non-interview parts really funny. 

Those soccer plays of the day have cracked me up.  I enjoy his bits outside asking people questions but also when he asks the audience what it thinks the person on the street will answer.  Like the one if they'd had sex with someone from the internet - drats, can't think of the others right now.  I think his stand-up part is good. 

We've been DRVing both Kimmel and Fallon, and right now and - surprisingly - I'm leaning toward Kimmel.  I'm just seeming to like his style more nowadays.

I'm more of a Kimmel fan myself, although I switch over to Letterman when a repeat's on.  I have more problems with his support crew.  Guillermo is sometimes featured too much, but he seems nice.  Cousin Sal has a bit of an edge to him that shows up sometimes that comes across as somewhat mean.  But I change the channel to anything else if Aunt Chippy shows up.  I still can't figure out if the lady security guard is an actress or incredibly naïve - she never seems to catch on when she's being pranked.  I think if I worked there I'd be looking for hidden cameras every time something even the slightest bit strange started happening.

Did Jennifer Aniston embrace the role of being pissed off about being involved in the pseudo "Friends" reunion skit at little too much?  At the beginning of the segment it appeared she's kinda/sorta pals with Kimmel and his wife but as soon as she laid eyes on the "Friends" set mock up, things seemed to get chilly very quickly.  Maybe she's a far better actress than I give her credit for, but based on the body of her work, I'm not convinced.

Did Jennifer Aniston embrace the role of being pissed off about being involved in the pseudo "Friends" reunion skit at little too much?  At the beginning of the segment it appeared she's kinda/sorta pals with Kimmel and his wife but as soon as she laid eyes on the "Friends" set mock up, things seemed to get chilly very quickly.  Maybe she's a far better actress than I give her credit for, but based on the body of her work, I'm not convinced.

I don't think this whole thing would've happened without her, so I think she was totally in on it.

Kimmel is good friends with Justin Theroux, so they've vacationed together in the past in Mexico.

If you see Jennifer Aniston's ice bucket challenge video -- posted here -- you'll notice it's on Jimmy Kimmel Live's YouTube page.

Since he's closest to Aniston, I don't think this whole reunion happens if she wasn't game.

112321.jpg

Scheduled guests for the week of September 15th – 18th, 2014

Monday:  Jane Fonda, Ike Barinholtz, Mastodon

Tuesday:  Keegan-Michael Key & Jordan Peele, David Muir, Fall Out Boy

Wednesday:  Ty Burrell, Len Goodman, Paolo Nutini

Thursday:  Kaley Cuoco, Anthony Anderson, Bastille

Scheduled guests for the week of September 22nd – 25th

Monday:  Courteney Cox, Jason Aldean

Tuesday:  Viola Davis, Anthony Bourdain, Tove Lo

Wednesday:  Patrick Dempsey, Lara Spencer, Young Jeezy

Thursday:  Denzel Washington, Darby Stanchfield, the Script

Scheduled guests for the week of September 29th – October  2nd

Monday:  Jennifer Love Hewitt, Clark Gregg, Clean Bandit

Tuesday:  Martin Short, Dave Salmoni, Steve Aoki featuring Waka Flocka Flame and Travis Barker

Wednesday:  Tim Allen, Anna Gunn, the Madden Brothers

Thursday:  Ellen Pompeo, Norman Reedus, Disclosure featuring Mary J. Blige

Scheduled guests for October 6th - 10th

Monday: Dax Shepard, Karen Gillan, Music from Rixton

Tuesday: Billy Crudup, Chef Massimo Bottura, Music from Weezer

Wednesday: Kyra Sedgwick, Jon Bernthal, Music from Dirty Heads

Thursday: Michael Peña, Music from Tinashe Feat. Schoolboy Q

Friday: Martin Short, Animal Trainer Dave Salmoni, Music from Steve Aoki Feat. Waka Flocka Flame and Travis Barker

Scheduled guests for October 13th - 16th

Monday: Shia LaBeouf, Michelle Monaghan, Music from T.I.

Tuesday: Adam Carolla, Cristela Alonzo, Music from Bob Seger

Wednesday: Selena Gomez, Chris O’Dowd, Music from Kasabian

Thursday: Edward Norton, Portia de Rossi, Music from You+Me

Scheduled guests for the week of October 20th – October  23th

Monday: Ice Cube, "Science Bob" Pflugfelder, Bush

Tuesday: Bill Murray, Jack Black, Kyle Gass

Wednesday: Keanu Reeves, Mike Epps, Milky Chance

Thursday: Taylor Swift, Alfred Enoch

Mmm..Keanu...

Scheduled guests for the week of October 27th – October  31st

Monday:  Melissa McCarthy, Frank Grillo, Music from Billy Idol

Tuesday:  Nicole Kidman, Dylan McDermott, Music from Blood Orange

Wednesday:  Will Arnett, Lisa Kudrow, Music from Lady Antebellum

Thursday:  Scott Foley, Music from Smokey Robinson featuring Aloe Blacc and JC Chasez

Friday:  Andy Samberg, Rosie Perez, Music from The Flaming Lips

Scheduled guests for the week of November 3rd – November 6th

Monday: Nathan Fillion, Gina Rodriguez, Music from Fall Out Boy

Tuesday: Maya Rudolph, Michael Chiklis, Music from Kenny Chesney

Wednesday: Music from Florida Georgia Line

Thursday: Geena Davis, Music from Icona Pop

Scheduled guests for the week of November 11th – November 14th

Monday: Keira Knightley, Nate Parker, Music from Spandau Ballet

Tuesday: Christoph Waltz, Aubrey Plaza, Music from Conor Oberst

Wednesday: Mike Myers, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Music from Tears for Fears

Thursday: Jim Carrey, Bellamy Young, Music from Oran "Juice" Jones

Never posted in this thread before because I'm kind of meh on Kimmel.  However, I was very pleasantly surprised to catch Tears for Fears on his show last night.  I was just channel surfing, so lucky me!  I figured they'd be doing "Everybody Wants to Rule the World."  Made my night.

Then tonight I see it's Oran "Juice" Jones!  I'm guessing he'll do "Walking in the Rain" or whatever the title is.  I can't wait!   

After missing the appearance of 'Tears for Fears', I found a video: 

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/11/tears-for-fears-perform-the-hits-on-jimmy-kimmel-live-watch/

I made sure to watch when Juice Jones performed, and got a bonus of Jimmy Kimmel singing backup.  Bellamy Young and Guillermo act out the song with Juice.  It was a lot of fun to watch.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2a5mad_oran-juice-jones-performs-the-rain-with-jimmy-kimmel_news

Scheduled guests for the week of November 17th – November 20th

Monday: Elizabeth Banks, John Mulaney, Music from Nickelback

Tuesday: PEOPLE's Sexiest Man Alive, Jason Bateman, Courtney Love

Wednesday: Jamie Foxx, Tracee Ellis Ross, Music From The New Basement Tapes

Thursday: One Direction, Tom Verica, Music from Jessie J

Kimmel's lineup for the first week of 2015:

Monday: Dax Shepard, Karen Gillan, Music from Rixton
Tuesday: Billy Crudup, Chef Massimo Bottura, Music from Weezer
Wednesday: Kyra Sedgwick, Jon Bernthal, Music from Dirty Heads
Thursday: LL Cool J, Michael Peña, Music from Tinashe Feat. Schoolboy Q
Friday: Martin Short, Animal Trainer Dave Salmoni, Music from Steve Aoki Feat. Waka Flocka Flame and Travis Barker

Scheduled guests for the week of January 12th:

Monday 1/12: Joaquin Phoenix, Larry Wilmore, Frankie Ballard (R 1/8/15)

Tuesday 1/13: Jessica Chastain, Patricia Arquette, Childish Gambino

Wednesday 1/14: Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting, Omar Epps, Steel Panther

Thursday 1/15: Johnny Depp, Marion Cotillard, Kandace Springs

Friday 1/16: Rerun TBA

Scheduled guests for the week of January 19th

Mo 1/19: Abbi Jacobson, Ilana Glazer, Bad Suns

Tu 1/20: Eric Stonestreet, Stephen Amell, Logic

We 1/21: Ewan McGregor, Lea Michele, Tess Henley

Th 1/22: Edward Norton, Al Michaels, the Decemberists

Scheduled guests for the week of January 26th:

Mo 1/26: Channing Tatum, J.J. Watt, ZZ Top

Tu 1/27: Kevin Costner, Eddie Redmayne, Jamie Cullum

We 1/28: David Beckham, Elle Macpherson, Vance Joy

Th 1/29: Kerry Washington, Dave Salmoni, Ne-Yo

It's the "I Am the Locker Room Guy" skit where Jimmy gets a lot of guys to all confess that they deflated to footballs for various reasons and Tom Brady didn't know anything about it, then tell everyone else to F--- it if they don't like it.

I have no idea if this guy's on the level, but here's another take on Deflate-gate:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/deflate-gate-triggers-stat-spat-as-analysts-attempt-to-solve-why-patriots-don-t-fumble-003107565-nfl.html

Anyone know how to send a message to Jimmy K?  I couldn't find a place on his face book page to ask a question.  I really wanted to know if the little kid from Jimmy's book club really has an Uncle Kevin that went to the moon, or if Uncle Kevin used that as code for "strip bar" or "nudie colony".

I don't get it.

Jimmy Kimmel is finally getting a visit by the president of the United States, which is hard to do because he is located in the heart of the Hollywood tourism, so there's going to be a lot of hassle to get him there.

(President Obama's previously scheduled visit to Kimmel last June had to be scuttled because of the crises in Ukraine and Gaza.)

So what does Kimmel do? He schedules another guest for that night, Sean Penn.

Every other late-night show that's had the president on has only had the president on.

Heck, when Bill Clinton visited Kimmel last year, he was the sole sit-down guest, if I recall correctly.

Yet Kimmel will have 2 "A-list guests."

It reminds me of the time last year when Kimmel finally booked Julia Roberts on his show (she previously had to cancel when her sister died) -- and he also booked Sally Field as the first guest. So Julia Roberts was 2nd banana for the night. It makes no sense.

I don't get it...Jimmy Kimmel is finally getting a visit by the president of the United States, which is hard to do because he is located in the heart of the Hollywood tourism, so there's going to be a lot of hassle to get him there...(President Obama's previously scheduled visit to Kimmel last June had to be scuttled because of the crises in Ukraine and Gaza.)...So what does Kimmel do? He schedules another guest for that night, Sean Penn...

It's possible you answered your own question.  I thought that either the Pres requested a chance to meet someone he was a fan of, but I think it's also possible that Penn is there so Jimmy has someone to talk to if the President has to cancel at the last minute.

Just now, Jimmy did a funny bit on "The New Rules of What to Do After The Big One Hits", or something like that.  Anyone got all the rules?  I'm afraid I was out of the room for the first couple.

It was: New rules on how to survive an earthquake

1.be IN an earthquake.

2. tweet about how you were in an earthquake (the sooner the better, because the first person to tweet goes straight to heaven if they die)

3. Instagram it (if anything is broken or toppled, or destroyed, shoot it, post it immediately, and put a nice filter on it)

4. Check to see if your husband or wife is alive. If they're not...

5. get on Facebook and update your relationship status (and then right on to tinder)

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 1

My husband was really excited to see Van Halen on this show and was seriously considering buying tickets to their summer tour. Not anymore! What a disappointment! It was also super creepy when he brought that chick up on stage to dance.

My husband said "God, he looks lIke an old serial killer."

• Love 1

Aw, Jimmy. I know how much he admires Dave from seeing him on that show, but to see him tear up was really touching.

Kimmel shows once again how much classier he is than the others. Not only is he showing a repeat tonight, his tribute to Dave was genuine and lovely.

Wow. Almost 2 million views in 3/4 of a day.

Not to be too cynical: I think Kimmel was genuinely upset, but is this a new way of doing viral videos? To be outraged at something that's viral on the internet?

Because people on my Twitter feed from around the world, especially Britain, were all linking to it today.

I don't believe it's at all Jimmy's nature to be cynically manipulative, but the last time the show got a lot of media attention about his monologue was when he got choked up on air about Letterman retiring.

I don't believe it's at all Jimmy's nature to be cynically manipulative, but the last time the show got a lot of media attention about his monologue was when he got choked up on air about Letterman retiring.

Yeah, the reason I believe Kimmel is that he's choked up quite a few times on the air.

Howard Stern actually likes to bust Kimmel's balls on his on-air crying -- for instance, he choked up when talking about John Ritter's death. (Ritter was a guest and a supporter of the show. Ritter died about 8 months into Kimmel's run.)

What really, really, really annoys me about Kimmel is when he returns from break and he refuses to shave. Usually, it's for just one week. But he still has the beard in his 2nd week back from vacation.

To me, it's a sign of laziness. And it's also annoying to look at.

Watching the first episodes of Colbert reminded me again that I truly believe Kimmel is one of the best late night interviewers. Granted, he's been doing it for more than a decade now, but he actually listens to his guests, asks follow up questions and interjects jokes at appropriate moments. Miley Cyrus aside, he rarely stumbles or seems bored/disinterested. Even if I'm not particularly interested in a specific guest, I'll sometimes watch just to see what Jimmy brings to the interview.

• Love 2