Type keyword(s) to search

Wheel Of Fortune - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I expect clips from tonight’s show to hit the internetz. Poor lady tried several times to solve (what I thought was) a fairly common expression. 

That was painful but hilarious. Reminded me of the Kelly Ripa and Regis Philbin debacle.

12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I expect clips from tonight’s show to hit the internetz. Poor lady tried several times to solve (what I thought was) a fairly common expression. 

That has to be a record for someone guessing and missing the puzzle. Three times!!

• Love 1
On 3/2/2022 at 7:43 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

That has to be a record for someone guessing and missing the puzzle. Three times!!

Pat Sajack is so rude! A contestant said her kids didn't want their names said on tv. When she missed a puzzle Pat said maybe her kids were on to something. The audience groaned and he tried to pretend he was joking. Vanna wouldn't do that.

21 hours ago, TakomaSnark said:

It's a close call but I think tonight's (Wednesday) Wheel contestants topped the 'Another Feather In Your Map' crew.

I mean obviously it isn't spelled correctly to be paddle boats but that is literally the only thing I've ever heard them called and I don't know before the e turned up that I would have guessed pedal.  That said once you had the e... there is nothing else it can be.

I realize that the paddle boats are the ones with the big wheels and not the ones you rent at the park but still... 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bybrandy said:

I mean obviously it isn't spelled correctly to be paddle boats but that is literally the only thing I've ever heard them called and I don't know before the e turned up that I would have guessed pedal.  That said once you had the e... there is nothing else it can be.

I realize that the paddle boats are the ones with the big wheels and not the ones you rent at the park but still... 

I know them as pedal boats because of what tourists rent to toodle around in the Tidal Basin.

And now tonight, we had this:

HARRY - O - - ER
ON BROADWAY

Contestant: I'd like to solve.

Pat: Go ahead.

Contestant: Harry Conner On Broadway.

• LOL 2

I caught the end of Wheel of Fortune tonight with the little back-and-forth dialog between Pat and Vanna. Vanna says she likes little identifiers like a pod of whales. Pat says, a murder of crows. Vanna says a gaggle of geese. Pat says, a dumpster of TV executives. 

I am still laughing. 

• LOL 2

I've never really been a faithful viewer but started watching again when I began watching JEOPARDY nightly. I have to confess that I often don't understand their categories. Tonight's winning category was "Fun and Games." The contestant had very few letters in the puzzle and so was spit balling answers. He said the correct answer without realizing it. It was "The Final Buzzer." Huh? I mean yeah, often there is a buzzer in a game, but that's a stretch to me. 

A fellow won the $100,000 tonite, he was very excited!  He even layed down on the floor in the midst of confetti & made 'snow angels" which made Pat laugh.  That's twice in the past couple of weeks that someone has won the $100,000!

• Love 4
On 5/29/2022 at 10:57 PM, TakomaSnark said:

Vanna made an appearance on RPDR: All Stars for 'Category Is: Vanna White Realness.' Looks like she had a lot of fun.

RuPaul's Drag Race on Twitter: "Category Is: Vanna White Realness 😍 An all-new episode of #AllStars7 is NOW STREAMING on @paramountplus! 🤩 https://t.co/PVPgOXAHiZ" / Twitter

I loved seeing each of the queens’ reactions on the catwalk when they first saw Vanna! It was adorable! 

• Love 1

The 40th season started today, as stated by the first puzzle (I couldn't believe it took that long for someone to solve it). I'm glad to have new episodes back.

Some things I noticed:

New graphics.

Still no live audience to be seen. That's disappointing.

Pat was going up to the contestants and shaking hands this time.

I don't like the night time background. I hope that's temporary.

Did they explain what the XL wedge does? I might have missed it.

Edited by InDueTime
2 hours ago, InDueTime said:

The 40th season started today, as stated by the first puzzle (I couldn't believe it took that long for someone to solve it). I'm glad to have new episodes back.

Some things I noticed:

New graphics.

Still no live audience to be seen. That's disappointing.

Pat was going up to the contestants and shaking hands this time.

I don't like the night time background. I hope that's temporary.

Did they explain what the XL wedge does? I might have missed it.

Yeah I misses the xl thing 

We were hoping too that they'd bring back family /friends to come out at the end with big winners.  

I assume the set with the dark tones is temporary for premier week

The XL wedge was hit twice today so Pat explained it:.  The value per letter is the value currently on the wheel (so basically an extra $2,500, $3,500 or $5,000 space).   If you the wedge with a correct letter it's added to you're bank until the end unless your bankrupt (same as the million dollar wedge, except you don't pick it up...there's just an "XL" displayed by your total).    If you go to the bonus round with the wedge and win, you get an extra $40,000 on top of whatever you get from the mini wheel. 

Also, if you get to the bonus round with the million dollar wedge, there are two million dollar envelopes now. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

For the 40th Season, some things have been brought back. The white plastic spinner holders are gone now, Pat comes over to the contestants at the end, steps up on the dais behind them and shakes hands again. At the end, bonus round winners can have a friend/family member come up on stage to celebrate with them again. 

You don't notice some of these things until they're gone or they come back. I wish they'd bring back those action screen backdrops they used to have. The current ones are styled nicely but the other ones are more fun. 

They're doing a WWE tournament this week, with wrestlers paired up with "regular" contestants (who are presumably WWE fans, since a lot of the prizes and trips involve going to WWE events). The top 3 winners from the first four days will come back for a championship round on Friday.

The wrestlers in the first two days haven't necessarily been contributing much and mostly let the "real" players take the lead in guessing and solving, but damned if they aren't great hype-men/women for their partners. Not too surprising, I guess!

(edited)

I’m sure Pat must be done - 40 years is a long time to do that job. Pat started in December 1981, so he’ll have almost 43 years under his belt by the time he’s done.

I’m old enough to remember the other Wheel hosts: Chuck Woolery (excellent); Bob Goen (solid); and Rolf Benirschke (the less said about him, the better).

I’m guessing Vanna will stick round for an interim season or two and then follow Pat out the door. Susan Stafford, the hostess during the Woolery years, did the same when Pat took over.

Edited by Egg McMuffin
  • Like 1

End of an era.  Wheel of Fortune was a nightly ritual in my house growing up.  We'd watch on our 13 inch black and white TV which was in the kitchen.

I remember when the contestants used to not get cash, they had to spend their money buying prizes from a themed set, like the Living Room.  "I'll take the cuckoo clock for $200 Pat".

Other things I remember:

• Pat would always get announced first.  Then he'd come out and welcome "Vanna HWhite".  The way he said "white" was almost with an H sound at the front, like "huh-white".
  • Vanna would come out and do a little spin to show off her outfit.  My mom would always do a twirl in imitation.
  • Vanna actually having to turn the letters.
  • No million dollar space.
  • Everyone always guessing "RSTLN E" for their bonus round letters.  Then the show decided to just give everyone these letters.

Best wishes to Pat, he has earned his retirement.

As for the new host... please, anybody but Ryan Seacrest, Nick Cannon or Ken Jeong.

• Like 5

I'll  take the ceramic cat for $60...

Wonder if Vanna will stay around.  I assume she will or else she'd have announced something too.  He surely told her first before announcing. 

Wheel better not screw up the transition like jeopardy did. 

I'd like to see Neil Patrick Harris host. 

And dear God please no Steve Harvey. 

• Like 1

Vanna will probably stay a bit longer but I wouldn't be surprised if Maggie Sajak replaces her whenever she goes.   They seem to be setting that up.   

After the Jeopardy debacle, they have already picked someone of won't say a word until they do.   Unlike Jeopardy and more like TPIR, the Wheel host has more contestant interaction, keeps things moving and has to do a bit of ad libbing.   My first thought is they wouldn't go for a known actor but it worked with Drew Carey so if they can find the person it's possible.   They're going to needed someone who doesn't overwhelm the show with their own personality.  

• Like 1

I've been watching the end of Wheel before Jeopardy! comes on, so Pat's retirement announcement felt like that of a coworker. He's still totally got the timing down with the one-liners, as well as interacting with the contestants. I thought he'd stay longer, but he'll be 77, and that's long enough. I just hope he doesn't regret hanging up whatever those pie-shaped cards are called. But, if he does, I'm sure he could come back for Specials.

20 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

This comment on the tweet-linked NY Times article sums it up pretty well:

I was hoping they would offer it to Wayne Brady. He's incredible at improv, very personable, and proven himself on a game show already. When I read that it would go to Ryan, I said to myself, "Wheely?" Don't get me wrong, I think Ryan could do a fine job. I would just prefer someone with a bit more of a quirky personality. Pat has a quirky personality and we're going to miss that about him. The ratings will be the final arbiter whether or not they made a good choice.

https://nyti.ms/3Xs7zBS#permid=125965463

• Like 3

Meh.  I'm okay with it.  Pretty easy decision & good choice.  I mentioned elsewhere about Ryan being the successor while saying it was way too soon.  Of course, I wasn't the early one & did feel like it was something in the works for a long time.

It's good since he's already in house.  His ABC work with Idol & NYRE, plus his stuff in the 1990s, specifically Click (a Merv Griffin product) makes this the most logical choice.

I know some people aren't happy about it, but I think it's better than dragging this out prior to what I felt like was the definitive choice (or a definitive choice)

• Like 2

Was Vanna interested?  I think after 40 years as letter turner, Vanna would have made a good host.  Or what about Pat's daughter?

Ryan Seacrest is overexposed and seemingly in everything.

• Like 3

Vanna filled in for Pat a couple years ago when he had emergency surgery.  No bueno.  I feel like Pat's daughter Maggie is in line to replace Vanna when she retires.  They had her fill that role when Vanna did Celebrity WOF.   

I think Wayne Brady would be wasted on this show.   He is really good at improv which LMAD let's him showcase.   The host on WOF is in large part a traffic cop keeping the game moving.  

Meh on Seacrest.  I don't think he'll be awful but agreed he's overexposed.  

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Was Vanna interested?  I think after 40 years as letter turner, Vanna would have made a good host.  Or what about Pat's daughter?

Ryan Seacrest is overexposed and seemingly in everything.

Basically like Steve Harvey.  While I'm long come to the conclusion that FF is stale, Steve's era was the best thing that's happened to the (third version of the) show.

Vanna is in her mid-to-late 60s.  It probably made more sense to go with someone younger & established.  Ryan will be around the same age Ken Jennings was when he became the host, and pretty much the same age Barker & Carey were when they first hosted TPIR

13 minutes ago, Maverick said:

I think Wayne Brady would be wasted on this show.

100%.  I'm probably not betting on him leaving his successful network show that's done well for about a decade and a half for WOF.  If it were Jeopardy?  It's possible, but not for Wheel of Fortune

Vanna simply isn’t a broadcaster. Her guest hosting turn was a bit painful.

I’m sure Ryan will do OK, but why do they need him? I’m sure he’s not cheap, he’s polarizing/overexposed, and there are plenty of people with experience doing semi scripted television. Pat himself was the local weatherman for KNBC before getting Wheel and had no national profile. Bob Goen, who hosted the last few years of the daytime version of Wheel, also was pretty unknown when he got the job, and he did fine.

Oh well, it could be worse - they could have given it to Kelly Ripa.

I agree on what a a good game show host Wayne Brady is. I’d like to see him get “promoted” to do “The Price is Right” - I think he’d be excellent there. Drew Carey is so unpolished. The Price is Right needs someone with more polish and panache. 

• Like 3
On 6/27/2023 at 11:56 PM, Egg McMuffin said:

I’m sure Ryan will do OK, but why do they need him? I’m sure he’s not cheap, he’s polarizing/overexposed, and there are plenty of people with experience doing semi scripted television. Pat himself was the local weatherman for KNBC before getting Wheel and had no national profile. Bob Goen, who hosted the last few years of the daytime version of Wheel, also was pretty unknown when he got the job, and he did fine.

It’s hard to replace such an icon. I agree the Ryan Seacrest is so overexposed. I would have loved another local “unknown” getting a huge break.

• Like 1

Vanna hasn't been on this week because of Covid, and they have California's Teacher of the Year subbing (it's Teacher Week). The teacher's fine, but it's showing that there's more to Vanna's job than just pressing on the lit-up panels. There's a flow and technique to the walking back and forth, knowing which side to start on, and so on. You don't really notice it until someone brand new is doing it and struggling.

Obviously still nowhere near the most difficult job in the world, but it's nice to see a little validation for Vanna's years of experience.

I rarely watch Wheel of Fortune, but it stays on after Jeopardy and I tend to look up for the final puzzle.  All I can say is Wow, Vanna White looks terrible - all teeth and bones and pulled back skin and surgical enhancements.  She suddenly embodies the opposite of "Aging gracefully."

I didn't like Steve. A little over the top in his reactions. I know the object is to win as much money as possible. But if no one else had any money, I'd probably be a little slow at the Triple Toss. 

• Like 1