Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
David T. Cole

Wheel Of Fortune

There is literally no reason to pass on the express other than of you have a million dollar piece or a bonus letter card for the final or I suppose if you have a whole lot of money built up and don't know it.   Otherwise the risk is LOWER on the express than to keep spinning.   You keep guessing until you are wrong, then you go bankrupt and lose a turn.  What happens if you don't take it?  You keep spinning, taking a chance of hitting bankrupt, lose a turn each and every spin or missing a letter in which case you lose your turn. 

People make me so mad by passing on it. It's a lower risk most of the time. But even beyond all that, you land on it and know it like the lady last night, you just threw away $2000 by passing.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Maverick said:

I could understand when she passed on the Express the first time because there were barely any letters.   But when not only did she not take advantage of it on the last spin, but also spewed the answer out before Pat could get in a word I was just I can't with this twit.  And I don't know what was up with the other contestant almost botching the crossword puzzle.  She had already said the one word not fully filled in. 

She did not say 'slacks' on the final.  Dammed if I know what the hell she was saying but it wasn't slacks, no matter how many times she repeated it. 

Ohhh I completely forgot about the crossword puzzle botch.  She waited so long to say the ones that were already filled in.

I'm not the only one that didn't hear "slacks" then.  I knew I wasn't crazy...lol

Last night was idiot night I guess.

• Like 3

I wonder if Sajak is bored with that gig.  I know he gets paid well and it doesn't take long to film a year's worth of episodes.  Still, with all of his horrible joking around, he seems bored, like he is mailing it in.  He isn't funny, not even close to being funny, and there is no doubt that he knows it.

They do have to do something to change the game up a bit.  Whomever wins the trip has a huge advantage over the other two contestants.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 1

They used to put the prize puzzle randomly in the first 3 rounds but now it's always round 3. Shake it up so the 3rd person to spin doesn't get that (slight) advantage. Less $500 spots, more $800/900. 2 big money spots on the wheel. At least they win what they have at the end of the game, Jeopardy

• Like 2

Why is the puzzle board decorated with palm trees, flamingos and ship anchors on a episode celebrating.... Philadelphia?

• Laugh 2

I said the same thing earlier in the week when it was Boston. The next day I realized they are celebrating a different city each day and decorated for all of them. Much more used to them doing an entire week of each city. The flamingos though-did they do Miami or another tropical city? I don’t remember 

• Like 1

Does the wheel look smaller to you or is it just my imagination?  Back when Chuck Woolery hosted (1975-1981) I thought the wheel looked bigger. Maybe it just looks smaller because this game is ruined by the absurd number of times players land on bankrupt.

I wonder if players get to take that white plastic piece they use to spin the wheel with home as a "fabulous parting gift"?

They do need to change up the game some how.   People seem to call out the same first letter most of the time.  Perhaps they ought to have more puzzles with letters that aren't used quite as often.

I don't like it when Pat says there are no more vowels on the board.  He ought to let people call out vowels until there are no more vowels to call out.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 2

I don't recall that being a particularly new rule? They announce no more vowels since you have to buy them, and they're not giving people the option to spend money on something that doesn't exist.

15 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I don't recall that being a particularly new rule? They announce no more vowels since you have to buy them, and they're not giving people the option to spend money on something that doesn't exist.

The game has gotten so boring and repetitive, I just think they need to make some changes.

I just think it would be an interesting twist if they didn't announce that there weren't any vowels left.  I don't see the harm in adding that into the mix.

As it stands, more often than not, the person who wins the trip wins the game.   That one puzzle alone shouldn't carry that much weight over the other ones.   Every trip seems to be somewhere in the seven thousand or eight thousand dollar range and I don't think that includes the money that the person made picking letters leading up to him or her winning that puzzle.

• Like 1

So many prize puzzle trips to the Caribbean.  Are these trips for two people, and do they include the flights?  

• Like 1

I feel so bad when contestants start to spiral and for whatever reason are unable to get it together before the end of the game.  It is painful to watch.

• Like 1

I think they are going to have to give Vanna a little scooter to ride around in.  She has been slow at times revealing the letters.

Edited by icemiser69

Wow!  I figured the guy had it just at the buzzer and I'm glad they gave it to him tonight.  Good job show.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

2 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

Wow!  I figured the guy had it just at the buzzer and I'm glad they gave it to him tonight.  Good job show.

I thought he was way past the buzzer but I’m still glad they gave it to him. Because that’s about when I got it, and I totally thought I deserved the credit!

• Laugh 4

I’m not a huge fan but my husband loves this show. Anyhoo, I keep wondering why they don’t raise the wheel up since everyone has such an awkward time spinning the damn thing. Possibly because I do ergonomic assessments but it looks so torturous. 

• Like 4

On 3/12/2021 at 7:57 PM, NYGirl said:

I think he started to answer slightly after the buzzer.  I figured if he whined long enough they would have given it to him, which they did.  Still, whining seems to get results.

On 2/26/2021 at 1:17 PM, DonnaMae said:

I think Vanna looks very good for her age....63.

She does look good, but she is still slow at times when it comes to tapping the letters.

On 3/12/2021 at 5:02 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I thought he was way past the buzzer but I’m still glad they gave it to him. Because that’s about when I got it, and I totally thought I deserved the credit!

I thought he was way past the buzzer and was super surprised when Pat said they checked and he was in time to the point I thought I heard wrong or Pat was joking. I re-wound it to look again and the 2nd time he seemed even more past the buzzer!  I don't think they should have given to him.  Plenty of other people get the puzzle right after the buzzer and don't get the prize.  I don't think you should be awarded for whining.  

Thought it was very cool and generous that the guy that one the $145K last night donated all his winnings to to charities.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, I Want My MBTV said:

Thought it was very cool and generous that the guy that one the $145K last night donated all his winnings to to charities.

I thought that was so good of him.  He still had the trip to Puerto Rico.  I doubt that he needed that money, since he lives in Encino, an upscale area of the San Fernando Valley.

• Like 1

Quite taken with Chandler from tonight's show. What a giddy delight she was!

Twitter loves her too, apparently XD

Edited by tracyscott76
  • Like 1

Has anyone ever won the million dollar prize?

I have seen the million dollars put on the little wheel a couple of times, but I have never seen anyone spin and land on it.

On the 4/14 episode, those two words in the bonus round were ridiculously long.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, icemiser69 said:

Has anyone ever won the million dollar prize?

I have seen the million dollars put on the little wheel a couple of times, but I have never seen anyone spin and land on it.

On the 4/14 episode, those two words in the bonus round were ridiculously long.

I saw what I think was the first million dollar winner.....my husband and I were watching randomly and it all went right. It’s super hard to get the stars to align for this. 

• Useful 1

Someone once spun the million on the bonus wheel but they didn't win. And I think it was one where they figured it out just after the buzzer so it was extra heartbreaking.

I think 3 people have actually won it since they introduced it.

• Useful 1

Whoa, did anyone else see the final puzzle tonight?  After the player called all the letters, the puzzle was still very non-obvious (to me).  Pat said something like “quite frankly, I’m glad it’s you up there and not me”. The solution?  “Quite frankly”. I didn’t catch it; Pat & Vanna talked about it when they came back from the break. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Whoa, did anyone else see the final puzzle tonight?  After the player called all the letters, the puzzle was still very non-obvious (to me).  Pat said something like “quite frankly, I’m glad it’s you up there and not me”. The solution?  “Quite frankly”. I didn’t catch it; Pat & Vanna talked about it when they came back from the break. 

Yeah, I caught it when it happened.  He mentioned "quite frankly" just before the bonus puzzle, and that was the answer.  I had wondered at the time if he was going to talk about it when they were closing the show, which he did.

Edited by icemiser69

On 4/15/2021 at 5:40 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I had that as the answer before the contestant called their own letters. Didn't notice Pat saying it.

• Like 1

So on Wheel of Fortune tonight, one contestant got every puzzle, including the toss-ups (unfortunately didn't get the bonus round puzzle). And it wasn't a situation where she solved them almost instantaneously without giving the others a chance to spin...they had their chances and either guessed wrong or landed on Bankrupt or what have you.

But on Twitter, there were people complaining that she didn't give them a chance, that it "pisses me off" when this happens, that she was cocky, greedy, unlikeable, probably rich and doesn't even need the money when the other two do, etc. I've seen this kind of thing before when one person dominates and I just don't get it. Yeah, it might be nice to "let" someone else win something, but with the possibility that Pat's final spin could net $4500 per letter or something, you've got to go for it. If the others have bad luck or make dumb guesses, that's their problem.

Am I alone here?

• Like 3

Not at all.   It's participation award culture.   "Everybody deserves to win something!"   "Sharing is caring!"    No, it's a game.   The object is to win.  The object is not to let other players feel better about themselves.   the notion that you should intentionally call a wrong letter to give someone else a chance or not ring in when you know it because you already won two rounds is laughable to me.  Maybe it's luck.  Maybe she's just good.   Or maybe the other players are just that bad.   Whatever it is, that's the game.  

My mind also boggles at comments like "she's probably already rich"   Like, seriously?   And that's based on her winning a lot?  Because why?  So the other two players are poor and downtrodden?  Based on what?   That "deserving" crap is bad enough in shows like Survivor or Big Brother where there's a social element.  But it's so completely irrelevant in a simple game show like this.  

• Like 2

My wife gets annoyed when one person wins everything.   Just likes to see the winnings spread around.  

On this one though the guy in the middle was just awful and missed two easy ones, including the prize puzzle I believe. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Yeah, that flub was totally on him. "Walking over coffee". I mean I know people walk&talk, and drink coffee while walking, but that is not an expression.

• Like 3

Okay, I’m a little dumb. Some may say a lot dumb but what the hell is FIG BAR?!?! A bar with fig newtons? A granola bar. I’ve never heard the term FIG BAR. BTW! I guessed BIG BAR. I told you I was dumb. Be gentle. I hurt easily. LOL!!!

A Fig Newton is basically a brand name fig bar. Usually fig bars are more like the size of two Fig Newtons side-by-side, but Fig Newton is to fig bar as Cola is to Pepsi.

Wow: did anyone see tonight's winner?!  I think its the biggest prize ever given away on "Wheel".  The lady won a home in the Margaritaville resort in Florida worth(I think) $375,000!  The puzzle was a fairly hard one(I thought), Even Pat & Vanna seemed shocked that she won.

2 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Wow: did anyone see tonight's winner?!  I think its the biggest prize ever given away on "Wheel".  The lady won a home in the Margaritaville resort in Florida worth(I think) $375,000!  The puzzle was a fairly hard one(I thought), Even Pat & Vanna seemed shocked that she won.

Yes, very exciting for her.

• Like 1

I was watching Wheel last night, and I was fixated on the dress contestant #1 was wearing. It looked like a very fitted black knit dress with pleated black pleather inserts over each breast, tied in the center to form a very big pleather bow. 

Even my husband, who never pays any attention to clothes, commented on what a strange choice that dress was to wear on television (or even in public). 

Anyway, she ended up in third place. If she had won, she might consider that her lucky dress. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BradandJanet said:

I was watching Wheel last night, and I was fixated on the dress contestant #1 was wearing. It looked like a very fitted black knit dress with pleated black pleather inserts over each breast, tied in the center to form a very big pleather bow. 

Even my husband, who never pays any attention to clothes, commented on what a strange choice that dress was to wear on television (or even in public). 

Anyway, she ended up in third place. If she had won, she might consider that her lucky dress. 

THANK YOU!  I was just coming here to post similar thoughts.  Is this in fashion now? I thought it looked ridiculous

• Like 1

My wife and I both hated that dress too. So weird and distracting a big bow over her breasts.  

Also said she was a marriage counselor but made it sound like she wasn't married to her lifelong significant other or however she said it

My wife won't watch if she doesn't like any of the three contestants.  Last night was one of those times.  Fast forward thru it all

That contestant with the weird bow outfit was a phony and full of herself. Marriage counselor! Glad she didn't win.

1 minute ago, rcc said:

Edited by rcc

5 minutes ago, Lilac2000 said:

Is a Blown-Out Flip-Flop a common "What are You Wearing???

LOL.  Only if you’re a fan of  Jimmy  Buffett (who figured prominently in the clues and prizes for this game).

• Useful 1

Puffy Beanbag?? Really Wheel of Fortune? That seems exceptionally lame. Beanbag Chair maybe...

• Like 3

I was extremely annoyed by the contestant a couple days ago who, while singing the praises of his wife said she was a "full time stay at home mom" and a had a full time work from home job and was a full time student in a masters program. You can be the latter two concurrently, but being either of the latter two contradicts the first. If you're working from home and/or schooling from home, even if your children are in the house, you should not be the primary childcare provider all day. And even if you are (for reasons other than pandemic), you're not a stay at home mom. You're a mom who works from home. Grrr! Spreading misinfo about how WFH works.

....this may be a peeve of mine....