Type keyword(s) to search

Wheel Of Fortune - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Tonight was the first episode where Pat was back, after his medical issues. They got a standing ovation as he and Vanna walked out, and he acted all “surprised”. If I were Vanna, I think I would have said “yeah, that’s for me. I’m the captain now”

Seriously, all the best to Pat!

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Come on.....

Homemade Fig Jam!!!!

Screw you puzzle writers.  How is anyone going to get that? 

I know! Sometimes the puzzles are too convoluted, just to use weird letters. 

Does anybody remember the name of the open market in the final scene with Pat and Vanna? It sounded and looked like "Chartes Market." I think he said they were in NYC but it did not look like NYC.

Edited by DakotaLavender
(edited)
On 4/1/2020 at 3:17 PM, BuckeyeLou said:

Why is WOF showing old episodes now?  Have they run out of the new shows that were filmed recently?  Jeopardy is still showing new shows.

This week’s episodes were pulled due to Carnival Cruises being the featured sponsorship of the week, which would not be appropriate to show due to COVID 19 affecting the cruise industry. They will have to show reruns sooner or later so it’s not the worst idea to have them now and hopefully show these episodes at a later date.

The ABC O&O’s that show Wheel aren’t even showing this week’s reruns, instead showing an encore of the network’s evening news. Seems like they are mostly being moved to late night slots on those stations.

Edited by gsnrocks92
  • Useful 1

Tonight's episode with DAVE from Santa Cruz made me want to say, "Look, I know you want to take home as much as you can, but when you have won EVERY TOSS-UP and EVERY PUZZLE, why not let your FELLOW CONTESTANTS at least get the $2000 questions?

He was such a jerk--making sure he brought home EVERY PENNY.  He won the trip, two puzzles with $5000 and $3500 letters AND the $10,000 bonus.  The other two guys?  One won nothing (usually because of LOSE A TURN) and the other got $2000 (he got one of the triple questions). 

Oh, and he won the BMW.  I admire his game play, but don't be a jerk when there is no way the other players could catch up. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Dave was extraordinarily good at solving puzzles. Combined with his luck with the wheel he did extremely well. I didn’t find him a jerk, just a really good player who was also having an amazing run of luck as well. Sucks for the other players but sometimes that’s the way it goes.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’m watching the first new episode, and other than the “white thing” I don’t see a lot of difference. Did anyone catch - it sounds like a live audience, but it’s really not, is it?

Pretty sure it’s fake crowd noises as it is on Jeopardy. 

Buzzerblog made way too big of a deal over the white thing being like “condoms” which the average Wheel viewer won’t think of.

It is odd they are still offering trips as prizes but i guess the trip companies need all the advertising they can get for 2022 or whenever traveling comes back.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, gsnrocks92 said:

Pretty sure it’s fake crowd noises as it is on Jeopardy. 

Buzzerblog made way too big of a deal over the white thing being like “condoms” which the average Wheel viewer won’t think of.

It is odd they are still offering trips as prizes but i guess the trip companies need all the advertising they can get for 2022 or whenever traveling comes back.

Hopefully, the trips have a long open window to be used. That said, I don’t even know what that window was pre COVID.

3 hours ago, gsnrocks92 said:

Haha I was going to describe it that way but decided to go with Pat’s version. 

Things didn't look that different to me.  Pat was all up that one contestants grill when he made the final spin.   The peg condom is kind of a placebo.   You're not going to get anything from touching alone; you have to touch a contaminated surface and then touch you face.   If you're prone to touch your face without washing you hands, you'll get it from something, peg condom or not.  Vanna has to be loving her job way on the other side of the stage these days.   

I too thought it was odd giving away trips.   I'd much rather have a pallet of Lysol.

Edited by Maverick
21 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Hopefully, the trips have a long open window to be used. That said, I don’t even know what that window was pre COVID.

I believe it was a couple of years, maybe three.  So based on the regular timeline I think they've got until the end of 2022 to use it.

As mentioned, I hope the ability to claim one’s trips is extended beyond 2022 or whenever.   Maybe make it indefinite (or permanent).  Sure, there may be a vaccine by then, but it typically takes several years before there’s complete trust and normalcy.  I think the fastest turnaround was about 4 years.  I hope we can get close to normal sooner at the very least.

12 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Knowing that some of these trips won't be available when the pandemic still here. I will still be scare to be that close to someone....virus or no. I know they had their fevers checked and all, but I don't knew how reliable that information is.

Yeah, I agree.  I can do without travelling with someone I don't know.  I might be a little more bold as the months go by, but still cautious.  I haven't traveled in the air all year, so I don't know what the restrictions are.  I'd think social distancing would be more than imperative on a flight, especially given the fact that several are scared of travelling right now.  I'd still be cautious, but more for others than for myself

I must admit, the arm clutching Vanna and Pat always did made me freak a bit here. I know they are social distancing with the contestants, but I wouldn't feel that comfortable if I was in Pat's or Vanna's shoes. Judging that he had an operation and all, would that make the virus easily transmitted by touch or talking to one another? I know that was always their signature brand for years, but I would be extra cautious. Test or no test.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Can someone please tell me who won tonight’s show (Friday) and what did they win?  Like stupid CBS couldn’t wait until the top of the hour about Justice Ginsberg. 

I'm not sure what your local affiliate is, but for me, this has happened in the past.  However, my local news was the one to break-into Wheel of Fortune (or Jeopardy) as it's syndicated.  The network news would've waited until 8 PM EST (within the 8-11 window before the 11:00 local news).  On the other end, local news would interrupt national programming if there was breaking news within the area in which one resides.

Missed the show entirely, anyway, though it sounds like you didn't miss much.  I think the chances are rather expansive for that BMW, BTW

4 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Carey, the reason we were wondering is because out of the first 4 days, the prize was the BMW on three of the days and one contestant did win it. So we wanted to know if the prize was the BMW again on Friday. 

I saw the BMW was finally won on Thursday by a female contestant. Pretty amazing that it kept coming up. Do they put more then one car envelope on the wheel? Anyway, I think Pat was happy to get the BMW off the stage. LOL!!!! WOF was also preempted in the Philadelphia area for the news RGB death on Friday.  

13 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I saw the BMW was finally won on Thursday by a female contestant. Pretty amazing that it kept coming up. Do they put more then one car envelope on the wheel? Anyway, I think Pat was happy to get the BMW off the stage. LOL!!!! WOF was also preempted in the Philadelphia area for the news RGB death on Friday.  

Ugliest BMW ever!

I wonder if those plastic things make it harder for contestants to spin altogether....I can imagine sweaty palms and all that.

19 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Carey, the reason we were wondering is because out of the first 4 days, the prize was the BMW on three of the days and one contestant did win it. So we wanted to know if the prize was the BMW again on Friday. 

Oh I see.

Sounds like they did offer it again, but over the series it would've gone against tradition.  Whenever a prize is won (excluding cash) that prize is off the table.  On a related note....

14 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I saw the BMW was finally won on Thursday by a female contestant. Pretty amazing that it kept coming up. Do they put more then one car envelope on the wheel? Anyway, I think Pat was happy to get the BMW off the stage. LOL!!!!

It depends on how many cars are offered for the end game, but they definitely have more than one envelope for the same automobile.  So it could be six for one of two vehicles, or three of the same car if four are offered.  The other 50% of the prizes are cash prizes

7 hours ago, Carey said:

Oh I see.

Sounds like they did offer it again, but over the series it would've gone against tradition.  Whenever a prize is won (excluding cash) that prize is off the table.  On a related note....

It depends on how many cars are offered for the end game, but they definitely have more than one envelope for the same automobile.  So it could be six for one of two vehicles, or three of the same car if four are offered.  The other 50% of the prizes are cash prizes

It’s funny because I’m always mad when they land on $36,000-$37,000 depending on what season it is. I think it should be an even $50,000, $100,000 and of course, the million along with a car or two added. That said, I wouldn’t turn down the $36,000 or whatever the amount is currently.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

It’s funny because I’m always mad when they land on $36,000-$37,000 depending on what season it is. I think it should be an even $50,000, $100,000 and of course, the million along with a car or two added. That said, I wouldn’t turn down the $36,000 or whatever the amount is currently.

I can see having a few $38k ones (for this year) because that's kind of a gimmicky thing with 1k for every year it's been on but yes should be more 50k or so.

Also for the teachers it should be like a 5k minimum.  

On jeopardy too I think it's time to up the tourney amounts for winners. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I can see having a few $38k ones (for this year) because that's kind of a gimmicky thing with 1k for every year it's been on but yes should be more 50k or so.

With it being $38,000, there's really isn't a reason to have $50,000 when you could add $75,000 (or $76K, twice the amount).  While they're at it, the $100,000 used whenever that $1 Million prize does not come into play should be bumped up to $150,000.

While there's talk of Alex leaving Jeopardy, it's the home stretch for Pat as well (and maybe even Johnny & Vanna).  I don't know if I'll bet on major changes until everyone exits within 5 years

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Also for the teachers it should be like a 5k minimum.  

On jeopardy too I think it's time to up the tourney amounts for winners. 

Agree re: teachers.

I though Jeopardy was already bumped up recently.  I think, depending on the total, the grand cash prize is okay, but I don't think I'd say "No Thank You" to more money!

3 minutes ago, Carey said:

With it being $38,000, there's really isn't a reason to have $50,000 when you could add $75,000 (or $76K, twice the amount).  While they're at it, the $100,000 used whenever that $1 Million prize does not come into play should be bumped up to $150,000.

While there's talk of Alex leaving Jeopardy, it's the home stretch for Pat as well (and maybe even Johnny & Vanna).  I don't know if I'll bet on major changes until everyone exits within 5 years

Agree re: teachers.

I though Jeopardy was already bumped up recently.  I think, depending on the total, the grand cash prize is okay, but I don't think I'd say "No Thank You" to more money!

I think the regular tourney of champions and teacher/ college / teen tourneys it's still $100k.  Which don't get me wrong is a lot of money but after taxes is like 66k, not a huge amount of money. Not when you see other game shows routinely offering lots more just on regular shows. 

9 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I think the regular tourney of champions and teacher/ college / teen tourneys it's still $100k.  Which don't get me wrong is a lot of money but after taxes is like 66k, not a huge amount of money. Not when you see other game shows routinely offering lots more just on regular shows. 

IIRC, Jeopardy moved to a quarter million in 2002.  It's a Million for special tourneys that involve Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter.  With other gameshows, it's actully much, much less.  Likey $10K - $50.  And those are shows that are one-and-done (no returning champions).  If you were referring to Millionnaire and the like, that's fair.  Jeopardy should offer $1,000,000 for the annual champion.  It's not an easy gameshow, but it's totally awesome & competitive and one should be rewarded as such.

With Wheel, that's easy, but easier from home compared to being on stage.  Not a fan of the Million Dollar Wedge, but an indefinite tournament for someone to win a million would be a better route to take

I wasn't able to find anything about the specific prize distribution on the current bonus wheel, but got this from the WOF Wiki:

Other than a single $100,000 envelope, the prize distribution has changed over time:

Originally, there were 11 $25,000 envelopes and 12 car envelopes, whose distribution varied depending on whether a week offered two or three cars.

In February 2002, additional cash amounts (one each from $30,000-$50,000 in $5,000 increments) were added for Big Money Week, a configuration made permanent that September.

For the NASCAR Week of April 22, 2002, a lifetime supply of gasoline was added.

Starting with a special week of episodes aired in July 2009 and running through November 27, 2009, the Bonus Round temporarily stopped offering cars. The week of December 21, 2009 also did not use cars due to being taped out of order. During this period, the car envelopes were likely replaced with additional $25,000 envelopes.

With the introduction of the Million-Dollar Wedge in Season 26, the $100,000 envelope is replaced with a $1,000,000 one if the contestant takes the wedge to the Bonus Round. Said envelope originally had a design identical to the graphic on the wedge, but on February 23, 2009 it became "ONE MILLION" (with the latter word in much larger letters) in plain black text.

At the beginning of Season 28, all remaining $25,000 envelopes were increased to $30,000 and cars began to include a $5,000 bonus.

In March 2012, additional cash amounts of $65,000, $75,000, and $85,000 were added for Big Money Week, although none of them were landed on and the envelopes were never shown on-air.

From November 25, 2013 through the end of Season 31, the cash awarded with cars was dropped to $3,000.

Starting in Season 32, $30,000 and $35,000 were both retired; the lowest value is now the current season number multiplied by $1,000. At the same time, the cash awarded with cars was removed entirely.

https://wheeloffortunehistory.fandom.com/wiki/Gameplay_elements

Based on this, it seems like there would be 12 car envelopes, 1 each of $100,000, $50,000, $45,000 and $40,000 and 8 $38,000 envelope.  It doesn't make it clear if the 50/50 split between money and cars from the original incarnation still remains, though.  If it does, then it's not overly odd to have the BMW come up 4 times in a row.  But it seems like the contestant on the minimum more often than not which suggest it's more weighted to that prize.  

• Love 1
On 9/20/2020 at 10:19 PM, Carey said:

IIRC, Jeopardy moved to a quarter million in 2002.  It's a Million for special tourneys that involve Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter.  With other gameshows, it's actully much, much less.  Likey $10K - $50.  And those are shows that are one-and-done (no returning champions).  If you were referring to Millionnaire and the like, that's fair.  Jeopardy should offer $1,000,000 for the annual champion.  It's not an easy gameshow, but it's totally awesome & competitive and one should be rewarded as such.

With Wheel, that's easy, but easier from home compared to being on stage.  Not a fan of the Million Dollar Wedge, but an indefinite tournament for someone to win a million would be a better route to take

The tournament of champions is $250 k on jeopardy.  The other tourneys it's $100k.  

I've seen several game shows where it's more.  Also way back in the early 80s or so the jokers wild had a tourney of champions offering $250k. It's been 20 years already since millionaire premiered with that too prize You'd think 40 years later jeopardy could at least beat $250 k and match the million dollar peize

The special tourneys with Ken jennings and others they do offer more. 

I think the wheel and jeopardy could bump up the prize money amounts.  

They are running out of puzzle clues. It's that obvious. I must admit, I am a little spooked out with the arm in arm intro that Pat and Vanna always do. I know it is WOF tradition for years, but during a pandemic?!? And Pat had an operation not too long ago. I know they get tested, but still.......I don't know.

11 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I know I shouldn't laugh, but I could not stop laughing.

"Under Pressure by Queen and David Louie." 🤣

I saw that.....and why do people try to solve when they obviously don't know?   So stupid.  I can see it in the toss ups you ring in on accident. But this wasn't one of them.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I feel dumber just watching this show.  The contestant lands on express multiple times.  She wasn't interested in it.  She kept spinning the wheel. Then finally she figures out the answer while landing on express yet again, and doesn't bother to make more money by calling out the letters.  She just solves the puzzle.

If I landed on express, I would go for it.  Sure, screwing up would result in losing all of the money, but it is worth the risk.

She was a real head scratcher albeit a lucky one.

I was shocked she solved the final puzzle.  I'm not even so sure she said slacks

• Love 1

I could understand when she passed on the Express the first time because there were barely any letters.   But when not only did she not take advantage of it on the last spin, but also spewed the answer out before Pat could get in a word I was just I can't with this twit.  And I don't know what was up with the other contestant almost botching the crossword puzzle.  She had already said the one word not fully filled in. 

She did not say 'slacks' on the final.  Dammed if I know what the hell she was saying but it wasn't slacks, no matter how many times she repeated it. 

• Love 3

There is literally no reason to pass on the express other than of you have a million dollar piece or a bonus letter card for the final or I suppose if you have a whole lot of money built up and don't know it.   Otherwise the risk is LOWER on the express than to keep spinning.   You keep guessing until you are wrong, then you go bankrupt and lose a turn.  What happens if you don't take it?  You keep spinning, taking a chance of hitting bankrupt, lose a turn each and every spin or missing a letter in which case you lose your turn. 

People make me so mad by passing on it. It's a lower risk most of the time. But even beyond all that, you land on it and know it like the lady last night, you just threw away $2000 by passing.  

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Maverick said:

I could understand when she passed on the Express the first time because there were barely any letters.   But when not only did she not take advantage of it on the last spin, but also spewed the answer out before Pat could get in a word I was just I can't with this twit.  And I don't know what was up with the other contestant almost botching the crossword puzzle.  She had already said the one word not fully filled in. 

She did not say 'slacks' on the final.  Dammed if I know what the hell she was saying but it wasn't slacks, no matter how many times she repeated it. 

Ohhh I completely forgot about the crossword puzzle botch.  She waited so long to say the ones that were already filled in.

I'm not the only one that didn't hear "slacks" then.  I knew I wasn't crazy...lol

Last night was idiot night I guess.

• Love 3

They used to put the prize puzzle randomly in the first 3 rounds but now it's always round 3. Shake it up so the 3rd person to spin doesn't get that (slight) advantage. Less $500 spots, more $800/900. 2 big money spots on the wheel. At least they win what they have at the end of the game, Jeopardy

• Love 2

I said the same thing earlier in the week when it was Boston. The next day I realized they are celebrating a different city each day and decorated for all of them. Much more used to them doing an entire week of each city. The flamingos though-did they do Miami or another tropical city? I don’t remember 

• Love 1