Type keyword(s) to search

Wheel Of Fortune - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I am so good at WoF -- of course, I'm sitting comfortably at home, never land on bankrupt or lose a turn, etc.  My nightmare would be to have something like that happen on TV.  There have been some epic blunders over the years.

Is there a way to find out the designer of Vanna's black and white cocktail dress from tonight's episode? It is amazing. I have never been so intent on buying one of her dresses before! Is there an online forum for Vanna's wardrobe info?

I liked today's couple, who seemed pretty subdued they went to final round after winning by 50 dollars. Other couples would have been obnoxious. And great they solved the final puzzle, and how easy it can be with the right choice of letters.

The day after Christmas episode was interesting. Too tired to go out but not too tired pig out and watch WOF. LOL!! I'm not sure if it was a new episode or a rerun but a guy won over $91,000 before going to the bonus round. Unfortunately, he didn't get the bonus round puzzle (wooden gavel) because he didn't really try too hard and seemed happy enough with the $91,000. He seemd like a nice guy. I felt sorry for the two ladies who didn't stand a chance against him. Although, the one lady had a chance to win $18,000 but she screwed up the puzzle. It was Everglades National Park but she (stupidly) said Everglacier National Park. God! I still love this show after 30 plus years. LOL!!!

I love this show too!

Hubby and I watch it and Jeopardy religiously every night.

I have often thought about trying to get on the show but I fear that I would be on against someone who would be a crazy good competitor like this guy and that would be too hard for me to take.

On a side note, I love dear beautiful Vanna, but isn't 57 a little old for the ballgowns, no matter how well preserved you are?  

• Love 1

Vanna survived the 80's fashions so I can handle her now in the current ball gowns. I think she wore pants not too long ago which I didn't really care for. Pat & Vanna have a great gig and work about a month or two out of the year. I do wonder who will quit first and when. Hopefully, not anytime soon.

• Love 1

She can wear the pretty dresses that are not ball gowns. She wears them sometimes instead of the ball gowns and I think they look better, just as pretty and more appropriate. I'm not suggesting casual wear, just not something that makes her look like she's going to the prom. 

In the "classic puzzle" bits they do before a commercial break, where we see a bonus round clip from a years-ago episode, I noticed that Vanna wore much more subdued outfits back in the day compared to now. Sometimes just a cute pants suit. Now she looks like she's dressed for a gala at the Met.

• Love 1

Yeah, and all she is actually doing is standing around doing the hard job of making the letters turn over..........as if she is even really needed for that.

Don't get me wrong, she's lovely and sweet, but just a little too overdone for the job.

• Love 1

Hey all, I'm a lurker and latecomer from Televison Without Pity, and true to my personal style, I have highly trivial information that was SO important to post I simply HAD to register in order to share it!  :D

There was no mention by Pat during the interview portion that tonight's (3/2/2015) contestant Andrea is also an ABC reality star!  She was on ABC's attempt at a Big Brother-style series called "The Glass House" which lasted only a single season a couple years back.  As I don't watch Big Brother at all, I naturally watched every Glass House episode and every scrap of live feed footage I could find online and enjoyed it all.  So I effortlessly recognized Andrea from the second she was onscreen on tonight's Wheel

and in a funny coincidence she had a sort of repeat performance: made it all the way to the big finale, only to fall short of taking the final prize home.

Well, that was the vital piece of knowledge that I had to share, that finally made registering here a reality.  Glad to be here, hope to contribute more utterly useless trivia all over the site from here on out (as the need arises)!  ;)

• Love 1
(edited)

Contestant was solving the puzzle with the names of the seven Dwarfs and she named them.....

Dopey. Grumpy. Doc. Bashful. Happy. S N E E_Y and sleepy

Pat said  "no, I'm sorry.....

SNEEKY ?   SNEEKY ?  LOL 

And it's not even how to spell SNEAKY.

Edited by Taylorh2
  • Love 2

That was a weird episode in general. No one could make any money except that woman, and she made something like 41,000 before the bonus round. And I may have to take a break from watching, because the buying of all the vowels in every single puzzle is driving me absolutely batty. I get it when you don't know the puzzle, but if you're saying "Let me buy THE U" as oppossed to "can I buy an A/ Is there a an I", then why do you have to buy the damn vowel? You already know it's there obviously.

• Love 1
(edited)

Tonight someone named Janay, or however you want to spell it, spelled her name G'Na.  Please tell me she choose that name herself and a parent didn't saddle her with that unpronounceable mess.  I mean, I'm mostly open-minded when it comes to unique names but that had to be the one of the weirdest names I have ever seen.

Edited by junemeatcleaver
Tonight someone named Janay, or however you want to spell it, spelled her name G'Na.  Please tell me she choose that name herself and a parent didn't saddle her with that unpronounceable mess.  I mean, I'm mostly open-minded when it comes to unique names but that had to be the one of the weirdest names I have ever seen.

Maybe she or her parents loved Crocodile Dundee enough to use it with a modification after one of his favorite phrases, G'Day.  That's the only explanation that would explain her bizarre name.

• Love 1

I started watching in the middle and missed the introductions so I assumed it was pronounced Gina until I heard Pat say it. I spent the rest of the episode wondering how often she's had to correct people on the pronunciation, because that is just a horrible horrible spelling.

Tonight's bonus round was a Phrase. The contestant (nor I) got it. DABBLE IN THE KITCHEN.. Seriously? I have never heard that phrase before. I know all the parties I go to end up in the kitchen but the word dabble has never come up in conversation. That said, the guy had won $17,000 and a trip to Ohau. So, I wasn't that broken up for him. LOL!!!

Very few of the phrases on this show should qualify as phrases. They should change the category to "random assortment of words that just happen to make grammatical sense." And unless you happened to call the D and the B, there's pretty much no way to get that puzzle because even though the last word was clearly "kitchen," no one is going to think of "dabble" as something in the context of that.

I really want to know what happens if a contestant doesn't say "I'd like to buy a vowel" a certain number of times (or at any time at all). I just don't understand these dodos who buy every damn vowel when it's so unnecessary. And then the other type of unnecessary vowel purchase ---- the other night, the puzzle was something like this: T _ N N I S    M A T C H  (that wasn't the puzzle, but the format is similar).   Yes, the contestant just had to buy the E.  Like throwing money in the toilet.

• Love 1

I like when the puzzle is the name of a movie or a landmark and it's clear that none of the contestants have even heard of it and they cannot for the life of them figure out what all of the words are.

Or like last night in the "Before and After" puzzle where the contestant incorrectly called out "Go tell it on the mountain Boat"!

• Love 2

Tonight's Before & After: 

BOUNCY FLIGHT ATTENDANT

Am I just being stupid --- is 'bouncy flight' a common phrase? To me, it seems more like a random phrase. 

And my creepy-meter is going off for tonight's contestant Adam. Strange, with very intense fist-pumps and thumbs-ups. 

• Love 1

No, bouncy flight is not a thing. I was hesitant to call that as my answer, even though that first word obviously couldn't be anything else, because it didn't seem to make much sense.

That was a lame Before & After anyway, because a "bouncy flight attendant" sounds like a real thing. Before & Afters only count when the final phrase makes no logical sense! Dog Catcher in the Rye. Captain Hook Line And Sinker. Things like that. What's funny about a flight attendant who happens to be bouncy, i.e. have a bubbly and excitable personality?

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 3

Does anyone know the money wedge ratio in the Bonus Round? Last year all they seemed to pick was $32,000 and now it's $33,000. Nothing to sneeze at and I would gladly accept it but are there $40K, $45K, $50K and so on? I'm not even sure how many wedges there because I haven't counted but they WOF seems kind of "cheap" with the money. Heck! They hardly even the wedge for the car either. Just curious?!

• Love 1

I tuned in tonight after the show had already begun, and I missed the explanation for the duo in the third position --- the older gentleman with a man named Tiger. Maybe Tiger needed help with spinning the wheel? They looked like nice guys, and they triggered two of my big soft spots: people with disabilities and senior citizens. I wish they would've gotten more opportunities. Instead, I'm left looking for my bottle of Advil --- thanks, LOUD ginger in the middle (Natalie).

Seriously, I hate people who feel the need to shout their answers. You're wearing a mike! Stuff it!

Tiger explained that he had a neurological condition and dozens of tumors or lesions on his spine, was once paralyzed below the neck after a surgery and was told he'd never walk again - and walked out of the hospital weeks later. His arms/hands aren't totally functional, so his dad was there to spin for him. They were sweet.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 1

Seriously, I hate people who feel the need to shout their answers. You're wearing a mike! Stuff it!

Tiger explained that he had a neurological condition and dozens of tumors or lesions on his spine, was once paralyzed below the neck after a surgery and was told he'd never walk again - and walked out of the hospital weeks later. His arms/hands aren't totally functional, so his dad was there to spin for him. They were sweet.

Thanks, Chicken Wing. Wow, good for Tiger for living life and getting on WOF! So often, the contestants seem just a step above robots (with their stock stories about "my awesome spouse"); so it's good to hear a nice story like that one. I shouldn't knock the usual contestants' intros, though --- it's obvious that they're told to do it that way.

I tuned in tonight after the show had already begun, and I missed the explanation for the duo in the third position --- the older gentleman with a man named Tiger. Maybe Tiger needed help with spinning the wheel?

I wasn't really paying attention during the interview portion but I did catch that the older guy was Tiger's dad, and yes, Dad was Tiger's designated spinner.  I don't know exactly what Tiger's disibility is but I'm guessing he has cerebral palsy.

OK, this must be my imagination because the show did not catch it, nor anyone else, but I could swear that in the last round of play last night they skipped the gentleman contestant.  I guess he would have yelled if they messed up and he did not get his turn, right?

Is there somewhere you can watch past shows?