Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters Renovation - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Denver is one of the top ten sellers' market, where you put the sign on the front lawn, and have competing buyers with a bidding war by sundown.     And many of the ones below the median selling price there, aren't in the best neighborhoods.     Denver traffic is also a bear, even without snow added.  

Plus, the more central areas, with vintage homes is really pricey.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
9 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I only disliked the leather pulls because I'm betting the dog chewed them up as soon as he had a chance.    

My parents had an older house, without a vent for the cook top, and we had to open the window too, but it was a 50/50 chance that the wind would be still, and the steam and smoke (we're a family of food burners) would even go outside, mostly it would drive it into the house.   We also had to paint the ceiling when the grease and soot built up too.      They could have put a stainless vent, and just put it high enough to avoid anyone every hitting it with their head, and it would have vented very well, and avoided grease build up, and smoking the house up.     

Yeah, my last place had no hood, only a window (closer than the one shown) and also a fan from the over-the-stove microwave, and that was bad enough, and they have nothing.  The smoke alarm went off about 50% of the time I cooked steak on a burner, and there was major grease built up on the wall behind (no backsplash originally, I decided to add one), and on the cabinet over the microwave.

Edited by msmarjoribanks

I can only imagine someone sitting on the bar stools, and getting nailed by popping grease, and then sitting there trying to eat while trying to find a safe place to put their food on the remaining counter top.    Did I miss another dining area besides the peninsula?   

• Love 2

The peninsula was small, too. It was only a two seater. You add the burners and you mine as well be sitting one of them. It was such a dumb idea to put the stove there. The kitchen was just too small with too much going on. They should have kept it all white for one thing. Usually, everyone hates that but this space would have been helped by it. Also, I don't know why I was thinking Denver was cheap. I had a momentary lapse there. I knew it was a high selling market. I guess I was more put off by the size versus the big cost. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 1

The peninsula was ridiculous. I guess they were trying to save money by not doing new windows, but both the peninsula and the other area of base cabinetry would have been better if they had and had regular cabinets with standard counter-height counters.  If you are going to do the reno, do it right.  The guy was super annoying.  "I don't want to do projects! I want to be hiking, having fun, wah wah wah!"  Bleh.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

the other area of base cabinetry would have been better if they had and had regular cabinets with standard counter-height counters. 

There was a reno on some show that they didn’t have the money to replace similar windows so what they did is have the countertops the right height and then in the gap between the counters and the windows they built a window box for plants and herbs and it turned out great, I would much prefer something like that then the lower counters which would annoy me!

There was an older episode, set in New England, where they had a victorian type house, and the kitchen window went well below the counter top/cabinet, so they did a jog out with the cabinet and counter around it, with the window at least 6" lower.   It looked really odd.   I suspected there was some historic association limit on changing the window sizes or something.

Tonight's mid-century modern redo didn't look too authentic to me.     The terrazzo floors were great, and fit the era.   At least they didn't use white shaker cabinets, but the open shelving is so useless to me.   I'm glad they got white appliances, and thought they looked great with the counter tops.       I don't like the bathroom tile they picked either.    The cabinet pulls looked awkward, and not very useful.    For a high priority item, they certainly didn't do much with the pottery studio either.    I didn't like the stacked pattern on the kitchen back splash, I think it would have looked so much better with the brick pattern.   That was the cutest dog ever.   I didn't even notice if they went over budget, but I think they could have used a nice, but cheaper tile in the other bath, bought decent hardware that wasn't as expensive, and retiled, and put a new vanity and toilet in the master bath, and still have kept to their budget.     

• Love 3

They went $10,000 over budget. I would have picked the herringbone design tiles for the backsplash. The cabinet hardware was so tiny it was ridiculous. Otherwise, I thought it was a nice reno. The little dog was so cute curling up on that tile sample! The homeowner with curly hair and dimples was so pretty.

• Love 1

I am so over open shelving!!  The wall above the stove looked unfinished - like they were waiting on additional cabinets to be installed or a vent hood.  I agree about the cabinet hardware.  They were way too small especially on such taller sized cabinets.  I didn't like the stacked tile.  It looked dated and like it should be in a shower stall from the 80's.  

They spent $1500 on a shower head?! $2800 on the backsplash?  I think if they could have found less expensive pieces and didn't run the tile up the bathroom wall, they could have renovated the master bath.  

On a super vain note...the woman with the curly hair should shave her armpits or at least not wear a tank top on national TV.  

• Love 3
6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

The finger pull vs hardware had to be fake or everyone involved is an idiot,it was clear  the cabinets were wood veneer on plywood and drilling into them was never going to work. 

When the designer said the wood would splinter I thought "Come on. Even I knew that!"

• Love 2

First off, the ending was bizarre. All of the woman looked alike. I couldn’t tell if they were all dating of if they were related. Very weird. Overall, I wasn’t impressed with renovation. I didn’t like their cabinets or tile choices. The oven or microwave was at their kneecaps next to the refrigerator. WTF is that? The dog was super cute though. 

• Love 1

For some reason, a lot of microwaves are put in islands, or at kneecap level.      Great way to guarantee that no one ever wipes it out, or notices splashes.      

Since the cabinets pulls were smooth pegs, I bet that if your hands are damp you couldn't even open the doors.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

The Denver episode tonight was strange.   A tiny kitchen with dark brown cabinets, top white cabinets, and bottom blue cabinets made it look tiny.    And if you're trying to save money, don't get freaking over-priced brass kitchen hardware.       The tile kitchen floor looked like cheap, ugly linoleum patterns I remember from years ago, and the reddish center looked terrible.      That corner kitchen counter top is ludicrous, and not only looks ugly, it's virtually useless, and I hate the circular idea.    You still have to squeeze past it. 

How bizarre to have the bar/eating area on the counter with the sink.     So you can eat, and slide your dishes in the sink.    I think an all white, or lighter wood cabinets, all in the same colors would have looked so much better.     And putting the sink in the eating counter was awful.     Nothing matched, or coordinated, so instead of a family kitchen, it looked like a showroom for cabinet samples.     

I hate the bathroom tile idea to avoid the dreaded vampire shower curtain, and think they're going to regret doing that.      I don't think the drain is big enough for the tiled part around the tub either.    Don't older claw foot tubs have iron feet?     I bet they start rusting out from the constant standing water from the shower overflow.   

I don't think they were actually using the wall paper steamer, it never had any steam coming out, and every other time I've watched the steamers in action it did have steam, so another fake scene.     

They went $10k over, and I'm surprised it wasn't more.   The after on the kitchen is so blah.     The brick behind the stove is going to be impossible to keep clean.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

Who puts a plant on the wall above a stove? Again with white shaker, blue cabinets,  white quartz, etc...too busy for such a small kitchen.  I was hoping to see a kitchen similar to the style/period of the house.

• Love 4
On 12/9/2018 at 10:48 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

For some reason, a lot of microwaves are put in islands, or at kneecap level.      Great way to guarantee that no one ever wipes it out, or notices splashes.      

Since the cabinets pulls were smooth pegs, I bet that if your hands are damp you couldn't even open the doors.  

I'm surprised more don't use the micro drawer when it's in island - or when space is somewhat limited.

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The tile kitchen floor looked like cheap, ugly linoleum patterns I remember from years ago. 

I thought that tile was hideous. It did look cheap! And I love exposed brick but the brick veneer was bothering me.

• Love 1

Seems like the thing to replace all white kitchens is going to be busy-ness -- cabinets in two (or three!) different colors and mixed materials.

I didn't dislike it as much as others seem to have -- I thought it felt kind of appropriate to the house and they had a tough issue with the space to begin with (would have been even worse in the third house).  I did not like the hardware, and think a brick veneer behind the stove could be a bad idea, as wouldn't it be hard to clean/porous?

There's a ton to do in that house beyond what they showed, but if they are happy with it being an ongoing project now the kitchen and master bath are done, that's cool, at least they seemed up for doing much of the work themselves.  I hope the smell has been addressed. (I like the bones and retained details in the house, and figured they'd pick it since it was the one in the neighborhood they specified.)

The extra costs for things like electrical are somewhat manufactured.  Even before inspection, no way they wouldn't have looked at the panel (from which it was clear work would be needed) and investigated whether the electrical had been updated and when, especially since the husband had some knowledge.  Likely would have been aware of possible issues with plumbing too.

• Love 3

At least when the husband said that he wanted a Craftsman, he actually knew what he was looking for. I appreciated that they were trying to keep some of the original elements of the house. (Though, I agree with the wife. The stained glass in the dining room had to go.)

• Love 3

Denver ep:  The kitchen was small to begin with and had limited options in regards to their budget and keeping with the character of the home, etc.  IMO, the three different colored cabinets made the kitchen look disjointed!  I would have used white/light colored cabinets for both upper and lowers.  I didn't like the open shelving above the sink.  They should have installed the shelves on the wall next to the stove in place of that one lone cabinet.  Also, I would have addressed the protruding wall behind the stove.  Since they had to run a gas line anyway, I would have fixed the wall so it didn't stick out anymore.  The brick is going to be a pain to clean.  They should have used that busy floor tile behind the stove instead and went with large plain tiles on the floor. I would have went with a two-tier countertop between the sink and the dining room.  I liked that they changed the layout of the bathroom, but I didn't care for the dark green vanity and navy blue walls.  One or the other would have been fine, but both?  No. I was surprised they spent $65k and only renovated the kitchen and bath.  

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, irisheyes said:

At least when the husband said that he wanted a Craftsman, he actually knew what he was looking for. I appreciated that they were trying to keep some of the original elements of the house. (Though, I agree with the wife. The stained glass in the dining room had to go.)

I'm usually onboard w/saving  stained glass -  but that was ugly and didn't fit the stye of the hse.   I was at first thinking it could have been faux/craft 'stained' glass created w/paint

Glad though it wasn't like on some reno shows when they gleefully smash it w/hammer, I'm happy  the male HO wanted  to keep/preserve/re-purpose it.

The HO's seemed nice enough - but her voice and constant talking  was too much for me.

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

I'm usually onboard w/saving saving stained glass -  but that was ugly and didn't fit the stye of the hse.   I was at first thinking it could have been faux/craft 'stained' glass created w/paint

Glad though,  it wasn't like on some reno shows when they gleefully smash it w/hammer, I'm happy  the male HO wanted  to keep/preserve/re-purpose it.

I hate it when people smash up cabinets that could be donated to a place like Habitat for Humanity.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

I hate it when people smash up cabinets that could be donated to a place like Habitat for Humanity.

Yes, sore point for me as well with f good--  but dated cabinets, and their frivolous destruction for TV. Even with built-ins that can't be easily removed, somebody will use the doors or drawers.

If you're not going to donate, at least put them curbside - somebody will reuse in garage, basement, or laundry room.

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, sheetmoss said:

If you're not going to donate, at least put them curbside -

Depends on where you live, many places that is illegal and you will be fined, several places have very expensive fines particularly if it’s part of a remodel. 

I wasn’t crazy about certain parts of the remodel but I did think that the woodwork around the new opening for in well.

10 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

I'm usually onboard w/saving  stained glass -  but that was ugly and didn't fit the stye of the hse.   I was at first thinking it could have been faux/craft 'stained' glass created w/paint

Agreed.  I normally would be horrified, but that wasn't really original, IMO, and didn't go.  I'm glad the husband saved it, and the place was brighter without it.

• Love 2

I finally finished watching this episode - started and got interrupted 3 times.  I do not understand the "romance" with the claw foot tubs.  I agree with the guy about trying to shower in one.  I had to use one when I visited friends a few years ago, and it was a hassle every time.  Plus, if you become older and less agile, or have an injury that inhibits movement, getting and and out of one is difficult.  I would have put in a walk in shower.  Now they have what is essentially a wet room.  How to you keep it clean under that tub and behind it?  If the bathroom isn't well ventilated, mildew can grow if it's not kept dry between uses.  

A rough brick surface as a backsplash is a no go for me too.  Grease and speghetti sauce splatters will not be easy to remove.  I did not like the floor, and it did not look vintage IMO.  Did the professional remove all of the wallpaper, and then plaster, or did he plaster over the wall paper?  Can you plaster over wall paper?  Wonder if they painted over all of the other wallpapered walls?  That place was a hot mess.

• Love 5
On 12/17/2018 at 10:02 AM, laredhead said:

I finally finished watching this episode - started and got interrupted 3 times.  I do not understand the "romance" with the claw foot tubs.  I agree with the guy about trying to shower in one.  I had to use one when I visited friends a few years ago, and it was a hassle every time.  Plus, if you become older and less agile, or have an injury that inhibits movement, getting and and out of one is difficult.  I would have put in a walk in shower.  Now they have what is essentially a wet room.  How to you keep it clean under that tub and behind it?  If the bathroom isn't well ventilated, mildew can grow if it's not kept dry between uses.  

A rough brick surface as a backsplash is a no go for me too.  Grease and speghetti sauce splatters will not be easy to remove.  I did not like the floor, and it did not look vintage IMO.  Did the professional remove all of the wallpaper, and then plaster, or did he plaster over the wall paper?  Can you plaster over wall paper?  Wonder if they painted over all of the other wallpapered walls?  That place was a hot mess.

Not a huge fan of the claw foot tubs, either.  Instead of the wet room / area they installed, I would have suggested they install their tub (w/o the shower curtain rack) and include a hand held sprayer for the wife.  As a practical matter, I'm sure the husband will probably schlep downstairs to the other shower.

Some brick veneers can be stained.  (Important to verify the care requirements b/c they're porous, i.e. same as basic brick.)  Other than that, it's usually easy to keep them clean.  Like anything else, it's just important to wipe up spills as they occur.  A light DIY vinegar solution can be used.

Couldn't tell but guessing that the pro did remove the w/p.  It is possible to plaster over it by applying a skim coat and leveling out any imperfections.  As always, prep is critical.  Special products are available to address smoke damage if tsp isn't sufficient.

Had the same concern about the wallpaper b/c occasionally, in that age home, the w/p kinda' functions to contain the wall materials place, including horsehair or mud or straw - blech! 

On 12/16/2018 at 9:58 PM, LittleIggy said:

Didn't see them actually smashing a cabinet in this particular episode.  The kitchen had at least 3 types of cabinets - uppers w/ either heavy dark wood or cheap laminate plus the built-in, white (painted) lowers.  Not sure (anybody notice?) that the lowers were actually cabinets.  Sometimes you find a frame built along the wall with added, makeshift shelves.

If they wanted to risk a fine, I'd be surprised if anyone wanted them!  (Someone always does, however.)  Notwithstanding fines, many neighbors get ticked if/when items are trashed curbside.  Not necessarily the best way to meet your new neighbors!

Edited by aguabella
On 12/16/2018 at 8:26 AM, msmarjoribanks said:

Seems like the thing to replace all white kitchens is going to be busy-ness -- cabinets in two (or three!) different colors and mixed materials.

I didn't dislike it as much as others seem to have -- I thought it felt kind of appropriate to the house and they had a tough issue with the space to begin with (would have been even worse in the third house).  I did not like the hardware, and think a brick veneer behind the stove could be a bad idea, as wouldn't it be hard to clean/porous?

There's a ton to do in that house beyond what they showed, but if they are happy with it being an ongoing project now the kitchen and master bath are done, that's cool, at least they seemed up for doing much of the work themselves.  I hope the smell has been addressed. (I like the bones and retained details in the house, and figured they'd pick it since it was the one in the neighborhood they specified.)

The extra costs for things like electrical are somewhat manufactured.  Even before inspection, no way they wouldn't have looked at the panel (from which it was clear work would be needed) and investigated whether the electrical had been updated and when, especially since the husband had some knowledge.  Likely would have been aware of possible issues with plumbing too.

Like most homeowners, these HHR buyers would have had inspections.  (HH doesn't film even a second before escrow has closed.)  To reduce production costs, the reno shows use the inspections to semi-script 2-3 construction dramas per 22 minute (filmed) renovation.  Also in a home that age, if no significant updates occurred, they know going in that electrical and plumbing will require large upgrades.

This particular home (I have the listing if anyone's interested - pm me) was sold as-is.  If they had a good realtor, however, they would have been instructed that an inspection can occur but "as-is" simply indicates the seller won't cover any add'l repair costs unless required by law.  (For instance, in CA, that's some termite work.)

I didn't care for the kitchen materials but that was their taste.  Yes, they mentioned that they'd "touched" every room.  Smokers' homes sell at a discount, typically.  If you can abide the stench, the nicotine stained walls and smell can be addressed with tsp and/or special products.  Usually, removing the carpets immediately helps tremendously!

On 12/8/2018 at 9:17 PM, twinks said:

I'm still trying to figure out where the house was!  It had zero curb appeal and look like a big garage. I was surprised to hear how much over list the house sold for.

The women's LA mid-century home was in the Mount Washington neighborhood. *

Yes, unless it's a good market, that home would be tough to unload.  Eventually, given their upgrades, it'll probably sell at an average market price.  If I were them, I wouldn't expect any payoff from their upgrade $$$.

*ETA - for anyone unfamiliar with LA, that's a good area and great commute location, adjacent to Glendale and Los Feliz, IIRC.

Edited by aguabella
On 12/2/2018 at 9:17 AM, Pickles said:

Denver episode. That awning thing over the front porch reminded me of something you would see on a Winnebago in a camp ground. Not appealing.  Did not like the leather pulls at all. The house seemed really small. Does anyone remember the square footage? Even just for two, it would feel cramped to me. He's a pilot, so maybe he is not home much. :)

This was the Sloan Lake (previous) Denver episode.

I pulled the listing (pm me, if anyone's interested) for the same reason, i.e. curious about the size.  It's 1,680 s.f.  For some reason, probably drama among the 3 homes, HH magically eliminated 1 bedroom.  It actually has 3 bedrooms on the main level.  (No egress windows for the basement rooms.)

If everyone noticed, the exterior had a frame surrounding it.  Don't know but I assumed the sellers pulled off an ugly awning prior to listing the home.  Didn't care for their awning, either, but that's the sort of thing homeowners install, intending to upgrade at a later date but then forget about!

• Love 1
On 12/2/2018 at 5:57 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Denver is one of the top ten sellers' market, where you put the sign on the front lawn, and have competing buyers with a bidding war by sundown.     And many of the ones below the median selling price there, aren't in the best neighborhoods.     Denver traffic is also a bear, even without snow added.  

Plus, the more central areas, with vintage homes is really pricey.   

My understanding is that Denver has cooled, significantly, but still would be considered an up market.  Also, the regular HH episodes have a (minimum) 6 month post-production / editing period so by airtime, most professionals would consider the prices and market situation outdated.  HHR episodes are typically much older, BTW, with editing periods of 8 months or more.

Yes, the market varies significantly according to the particular Denver neighborhood.  Given the high prices downtown, some of the outlying areas are picking up, now.  

On 12/15/2018 at 8:17 PM, twinks said:

Who puts a plant on the wall above a stove? Again with white shaker, blue cabinets,  white quartz, etc...too busy for such a small kitchen.  I was hoping to see a kitchen similar to the style/period of the house.

I agree - looked like staging with a few faux branches.  Well, if the id leaves it, perhaps it'll be easier to clean than the porous brick veneer.

Yes, in such a small house (under 1,500 s.f.), I expected a more streamlined color palette to make the space feel / appear larger.  Also, although I hate it in tract homes, I wanted them to use the same materials in that bathroom - or select one element (say, their floor tile) to tie the spaces together.  Instead, they used 2 competing mc floor tiles plus traditional wall tile with a few contemporary accents thrown in for good measure.  Guess my tastes differ, lol!

On 11/25/2018 at 10:40 AM, sheetmoss said:

I once remember reading HH Reno pays you $25,000  for the filming of your reno

Maybe they figured the money was gravy and spent it on the La Cornue stove splurge?

ETA: I didn't particularly care for the turquoise paint on  fireplace, but I wasn't a big fan of the before either

My understanding is 30K but definitely not cash!  That's the overpriced, tax / full retail value for services rendered (designer + contractor) plus a few comped materials and/or other comped services.   No cash but a 1099 and tax bill! 

• Love 2
On 12/16/2018 at 9:33 AM, juliet73 said:

Denver ep:  The kitchen was small to begin with and had limited options in regards to their budget and keeping with the character of the home, etc.  IMO, the three different colored cabinets made the kitchen look disjointed!  I would have used white/light colored cabinets for both upper and lowers.  I didn't like the open shelving above the sink.  They should have installed the shelves on the wall next to the stove in place of that one lone cabinet.  Also, I would have addressed the protruding wall behind the stove.  Since they had to run a gas line anyway, I would have fixed the wall so it didn't stick out anymore.  The brick is going to be a pain to clean.  They should have used that busy floor tile behind the stove instead and went with large plain tiles on the floor. I would have went with a two-tier countertop between the sink and the dining room.  I liked that they changed the layout of the bathroom, but I didn't care for the dark green vanity and navy blue walls.  One or the other would have been fine, but both?  No. I was surprised they spent $65k and only renovated the kitchen and bath.  

Good ideas on the vintage Denver episode, juliet73!  Yes, I believe the open shelving above the sink is totally impractical and merely a dust catcher.

No big deal but they found an existing gas line later in the episode.  Uh, I wouldn't open that wall protrusion!  It's probably holding something, e.g. the stack ???  Open it up and you must deal with whatever issue arises.  You break it, you bought it!

Hated the flooring, too.  Perhaps they should have used flooring consistent with the home's existing flooring and threaded it in.  More $$$ but anything to make the home feel larger.  To that end, yes, they needed consistent colors.

Good idea for the 2 tier countertop.  Instead of moving the plumbing (more $$$), they could have left the sink on the other side and made it a large, 1 level, work island.  

Instead of buying the giant frig, why not go with a slightly smaller version, building it in the same general area with a few narrow pantry cabinets?  That way, they'd have a counter above the d/w for clean-up.

I believe that place had 3 doorways and 2 windows.  Given the added d/r light, they could close up the window to the left of the stove (or reduce its size) and build the counter around that corner.  The sink could possibly go there, under a smaller window, using the existing plumbing.

This house (1,476 s.f., pm me for the listing) was too small (my opinion) for a formal dining room.  I'd remove the entry-way door* but use that doorway to access a round / bar table in that area for dining.  It'd be close to the dw and could be utilized during the day as an entry table. 

Then, the d/r plus l/r becomes a great room.  Possibly the interior doorway between those rooms could be widened. * During the holidays or staged to sell, it could easily be set-up as a d/r, if necessary.

In the early 20th century, that entryway would have been considered and used as an add'l room. 

Not sure the b/r layout change was worth the add'l cost.  And, yes, hated that two-tone!

65K wouldn't be enough for that home!  (Doesn't surprise me b/c they did a kitchen and bath plus add'l work and would have been charged city labor rates.)  They did indicate they'd "touched every room".  Not sure if it was included in the 65K but the listing confirms they painted the exterior before HHR filmed.  Guess they ignored the no alternations before filming HH rule.

*ETA - the door and any wood or the wood frame could be repurposed elsewhere in the home.

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 3

My understanding is $30k is the minimum amount you get nailed on the 1099 for.     If they get donated materials, like flooring, it may cost the remodel couple a few thousand, but they get the 1099 for the full retail.   Even if they don't have to pay for the flooring, or something else that is included because the company sponsored it,  then they still pay full retail.    Any donated labor is taxed too.     At least the couple this week probably had a healthy income since they were both in IT.    

I wonder if the protrusion in the kitchen wall was the furnace chimney?   Or from a previous furnace.     

I'm sure some of these people just about lost it when their accountant explained the full implications of their remodel.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

My understanding is $30k is the minimum amount you get nailed on the 1099 for.     If they get donated materials, like flooring, it may cost the remodel couple a few thousand, but they get the 1099 for the full retail.   Even if they don't have to pay for the flooring, then they still pay full retail.    Any donated labor is taxed too.     

I'm sure some of these people just about lost it when their accountant explained the full implications of their remodel.   

?? "remodel couple" - you mean the HHR participants, correct?  If it's "donated", then it was free, right?  Perhaps I'm not understanding but they do pay the cost of the renovation.  If they engage a sub or buy some misc materials on sale, I don't believe they'll be dinged.  But, if the production company provides it, that's another matter.

You're correct, anything donated / free, e.g. labor for the id and contractor, s/b included in the 1099.  And, yes, any donated materials would be 1099'd at full retail value.

Technically, if it's 1099'd at full retail, the homeowners cost would be equal to their marginal tax rate, i.e. the tax rate on their last $ of income.

As a practical matter, in some cases, it's my understanding that the production companies frequently 1099 a set amount, e.g. the 30K to cover everything but call it location "rent" for the couple's home.  They're too lazy to track all the donated materials and the discounts received.

Definitely!  If these couples don't understand, they're in for a huge surprise when they work with that tax accountant.  And, if they their tax withholding was insufficient and/or they failed to pay quarterly estimates, they'll be subject to penalties, too.  Ugh!

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, aguabella said:

My understanding is 30K but definitely not cash!  That's the overpriced, tax / full retail value for services rendered (designer + contractor) plus a few comped materials and/or other comped services.   No cash but a 1099 and tax bill! 

When I posted that, what i meant was, if their budget is $50k out of pocket, you're getting an add'l $30k appearance fee, so maybe that's why people splurge?

I just look at the HO's working w $30k more over stated. In other words -  a $50k reno becomes $80k

There was a past episode where the HO didn't use a designer because I believe he did that for a living, so in the end he mush have paid himself.

• Love 1

They used the 30 day rent exclusion on Extreme Home Makeover (with Ty Pennington, the show name might not be totally right), and the production company rented the property for 30 days, and anything the 'renters' did to the house in that period wasn't taxed.     

• Love 1

I'm recording tonight's new episode. I started watching it, but turned back to the Ravens game after they started looking at the 3rd house. I think I'll FF tomorrow to see what they did with whatever house they bought. I swear, the younger the buyers, the more insufferable.

Really like this couple They stuck to their budget and did a lot of work themselves. The thing I don't understand is when the budget is tight, why would you spend $3000 on a vanity? This seems to happen too often.

21 minutes ago, twinks said:

Really like this couple They stuck to their budget and did a lot of work themselves. The thing I don't understand is when the budget is tight, why would you spend $3000 on a vanity? This seems to happen too often.

I liked them too. The husband reminded me of John Krasinski. I liked that they painted the cabinets instead of ripping them out to put in white Shaker ones. I didn’t really understand the half wall reno. I would have gotten rid of it all together. BTW, WTF with putting the full bath on the first floor and the half bath upstairs with the bedrooms in the first place? 🙄

• Love 2

I didn't really like the couple. Too much giggling. Maybe nervous laughter? He always had his hands in his pockets. Again, maybe nervous. Her constant blathering on about getting a dog. I would have guessed that he had a same sex partner and she was his beard, but maybe that is just me. 

• Love 1

The wall was one of the stupidest things i have seen on this show and that is a pretty high bar! To make it even worse they didn’t center the tv on the wall when they mounted it which would literally drive me insane!!!

Does anyone know why the toilet has to be a certain distance from the wall? I was surprised when he said that wasn’t up to code when it could be closer to the vanity, seemed an odd requirement.

The small space between the vanity and the wall was odd, things are going to fall down there and it’s going to be annoying to clean.

I hated his mother’s window treatment and the placement of the niche in the shower and because it wasn’t flush O imagine they will be hitting their legs on it occasionally. 

The new closet in the guest room was basically unusable as anything more than a place for the duct and so it could still be considered a bedroom. I would have gone with a smaller shower and given the guest room more closet space. It seems there was room to have both a decent sized shower and a small but functional closet.

• Love 2

I can't go back and watch since I have already deleted the show but am I the only one who thought that the shelf in the shower and the television were way too low to be useful or comfortable? When I saw where they were placing the niche, my first thought was who wants to bend over to get the soap or shampoo? The television was way to low for comfort to me also...it didn't  have to be way up the wall but one shouldn't have to bend your head down to watch it. I sometimes wonder why the owners have to make such drastic changes although having the half bath on the second floor with the bedrooms was stupid. Who wants to go downstairs to shower.....that was a major design flaw in the house to begin with!

• Love 3