Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters Renovation - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Putting those depressions in the countertop also took away from actual, usable countertop space IMO.

I did not understand the point of those, especially for that reason.  Maybe if they'd had a top that could slide over the depressions so as to extend the counter would have been useful.

I'm also not seeing how they would use those, except maybe if they were chopping veggies and slipping them into the depressions instead of bowls while prepping for cooking?  I see lots of chefs putting out an array of ramekins filled with things they plan to add to a meal before they get started with the cooking of it.

I thought i heard the Baltimore woman talk about the small prep bowls fitting into the several indentations in the counter top.  That's what they used to make the mold.  Izabella, I agree that some type of sliding top with a solid surface would be good for that island.

When the couple was making the molds, I was thinking about how they are wasting valuable counter top space that can be used for anthing in favor of silly niche type storage.

I thought i heard the Baltimore woman talk about the small prep bowls fitting into the several indentations in the counter top.

What possble purpose does bowl indentations serve?  I have those type of bowls and they do not fall over if you put them on a flat surface.  Putting then in their own little hole does nothing to further your cooking convenience.

I am also fascinated by the built in ice bucket.  When that thing fills with water are they going to have to suction it out with a vacuum?  If it fills with water and moisture and they just leave it....will they have mold problems?  I do not know enough about concete to understand the science behind this.  It was refreshing to see a couple not making the cookie cutter choices.

• Love 2

The Darien, Ct. episode was on a couple of nights ago and I was gulping at the square footage and condition of the houses at those sky high prices.  Yes, I know that is an expensive area of the country for real estate, but still - gulp.  I agreed with the husband about wanting the cracked tile on the back splash replaced.  Even if you are doing the work yourself, you paid good money for the material and the job should look nice.  I also agreed with him on staining/painting the ceiling.  The gray was very dark and oppressive - IMO. Then there was the odd "fireplace" in the bedroom that he refused to call a fireplace and rightly so, I think.  I liked his comment about not hating it.  He obviously has learned to be diplomatic along the way in his career as a realtor and a husband.  The wife had that vocal fry, ending sentences on the up beat voice that made the show hard to listen to for me. 

She was another one whose voice made it impossible for me to watch the whole episode - I don't care what anyone sounds like naturally, but purposely speaking like some teeny-bopper as an adult sends me 'round the bend - but I caught his refusal to call that thing a fireplace and laughed out loud in agreement. 

I also liked the contractor asking him, "So, you want a natural product that's perfectly symmetrical?" or something like that.  I wouldn't have put up a cracked tile, either, but it sounded like he was also complaining about them not all being the same size and shape, when that's kind of the point.

I did not like the countertop/backsplash combination at all.

I think you are correct, Bastet, he did want the natural product to be symmetrical.  Perhaps man made subway or glass tile would have been more appropriate in that case.  I did not care for the combo of that granite pattern and the back splash either.  It was too busy for my taste.  I did like his idea on the bathroom remodel to switch the closets to the opposite side of the bathroom.  He was definitely the one with the decorating and common sense in that reno.  He probably could have saved himself some money by not hiring the decorator.

I am also fascinated by the built in ice bucket.  When that thing fills with water are they going to have to suction it out with a vacuum?  If it fills with water and moisture and they just leave it....will they have mold problems?  I do not know enough about concete to understand the science behind this.  It was refreshing to see a couple not making the cookie cutter choices.

Bet they wind up putting a zip-lock bag filled with the wine bottle and ice in that indentation for easy clean-up.  Or maybe a plastic bag from the local grocery store - lol.

• Love 1

I, too, thought the random indentations were impractical.  Overall, they would have increased their construction costs exponentially by increasing both the thickness and complexity of the concrete countertop.  BTW, I specifically looked for and believed I saw them using a sliding top to cover the bowls.  So, that does make it more functional but again, would increase their costs.  Instead of the indentations, by keeping the concrete at a standard thickness, they would have had space, IMHO, to include a row of drawers under the island.

Overall, I didn't find them that innovative.  They just seemed like more millenials attempting to be too cool for school!

Can't remember why but the Darien realtor guy didn't particularly impress me - as a realtor, that is.  Did agree with him about the backsplash and the need to be fastidious about the job, although yes, the natural stone will have variations.  And, yes, it wasn't a true f/p.  Overall, I believe the designer helped them.

Edited by BearCat49

I thought i heard the Baltimore woman talk about the small prep bowls fitting into the several indentations in the counter top.  That's what they used to make the mold.  Izabella, I agree that some type of sliding top with a solid surface would be good for that island.

Looked for this and was sure I saw the sliding top.  Was I asleep, lol?

Buffalo to Baltimore -- She was an entitled princess.  He shouldn't feel guilty about having to live there during construction; that was something she inflicted on herself.  The tedious island drama was obviously scripted.  Any professional designer can show how the space will work: graph paper, masking tape on the floor...

• Love 1

I didn't understand why, with both of them working, they couldn't get a lease extension for a couple of months until their construction was completed.  Most rental places will work with you, since it doesn't matter to them when the next 12 month lease starts.  I mean, live cheap for a month and at least have a working kitchen and bathroom.  I didn't blame her for being PO'd with him.

I'm starting to think annoying voices are a requirement for this program.

I watched during breaks in football, and liked what they came up with.  Even though it gave up space in what was already a small room, I think it was smart to add a bathroom on that floor.  The clear glass at the stairwell was a great way to make both rooms look and feel bigger.  I can't remember what other projects they did themselves (other than painting), but they did a nice job tiling the backsplash and fireplace.

Since I was only watching in bits and pieces, I don't know if this was in fact the case, but when she was protesting moving in before it was finished, their conversation had a vibe that left me expecting him to say, "It's your fault we're not done yet" -- were the constant changes the contractor talked about due to both of them, or was she the one changing her mind?

I thought it was odd the reason he wanted less island and more room to move around in the kitchen was specifically so people could stand around during parties, and then in the end footage that's exactly what they were doing -- standing around the kitchen. 

Only having windows on two sides of the home would make me feel claustrophobic, but I like looking at row houses.

I thought it was odd the reason he wanted less island and more room to move around in the kitchen was specifically so people could stand around during parties, and then in the end footage that's exactly what they were doing -- standing around the kitchen.

I really didn't understand what they gained with 6 in overhang.  The chairs stick out at least 12 inches.  And pull yourself up to your table/island and only allow yourself 6 in to 'tuck in'.  The reason they are all standing is that sitting down is uncomfortable.  I would love to know how they feel about that decision now.

• Love 1

Buffalo to Baltimore -- She was an entitled princess.  He shouldn't feel guilty about having to live there during construction; that was something she inflicted on herself.

The first thing she put on their new mantel was hubby-to-be's balls in a jar.

• Love 3

Buffalo to Baltimore episode - they put in a super duper shower with multiple sprays and a rain head in the upstairs bathroom, yet the glass barrier covers only half of the opening.  I would think with the multiple sprays water is going to get outside of the shower enclosure.  Also, the rain head was positioned in the middle which means if you stand under it, half of the water is going to spray outside of the enclosure.  Personally, I think they overspent on that feature.

I thought the kitchen designer did a great job on coming up with a more efficient kitchen, but I would have gone with the larger overhang on the island since there was no other place to put a dining table in the small downstairs space.  Perhaps they could have looked into one of those tables that expands to seat six when needed, but folds against the wall when not in use and becomes a small console table.  The place certainly looked nicer than when they purchased it, but I would have claustrophobia living in a 12' wide house with no windows on the sides.

Her vocal fry voice drove me up a wall.         

• Love 1

I didn't understand why, with both of them working, they couldn't get a lease extension for a couple of months until their construction was completed.  Most rental places will work with you, since it doesn't matter to them when the next 12 month lease starts.  I mean, live cheap for a month and at least have a working kitchen and bathroom.  I didn't blame her for being PO'd with him.

She wasn't working--apparently she was looking for a new job, as part of the laundry list of "we have so much to do, what with the wedding, the new city, job hunting..." that was repeated over and over. There was a brief clip of him saying they just couldn't afford temp housing for a longer stretch.

I understand that some of this drama is manufactured/encouraged by the producers, but this couple seemed to be on two entirely different pages. He wants to live the life of a hip, urban couple and she wants to plan for having kids. My jaw dropped when she mentioned making a room a nursery and he said "I don't want to think about that right now." If they do have kids in that narrow row house, they're gonna run screaming for the suburbs. And did anyone once mention school districts or playgrounds?

The first thing she put on their new mantle was hubby-to-be's balls in a jar.

I don't see this. They broke the budget to move into the row-house he wanted and then ended up spending even more piles of $$ trying to make the tiny space serve their purposes, forcing them to live in the house mid-project, which he had promised her they wouldn't do. If he had compromised on location they could have afforded more space, less reno stress. She doesn't come off too well either in the footage we got to see, but I feel he got to have his way much of the time. And if they don't resolve their issues about having kids...

Edited by Reishe
  • Love 2

When she talked about the need for some sort of dining table, saying something along the lines of, "What are we going to do when we have kids, plop them down in front of the TV with food?" his response was to scoff and say, "You're talking about a hypothetical situation."  She said, "It's not hypothetical, we're getting married."  Jeez, people, whether or not you want kids and, if so, how soon you'd like to have them is something to be discussed BEFORE agreeing to marry.

• Love 5

I had a hard time buying the supposed conflict about moving from their corporate housing.  They had to move in 5 weeks after the reno began, IIRC.  Given that they were pretty much touching every space, it didn't sound as if there was any way they could meet that deadline.

HH often has the guys protest about calling guest rooms "nurseries" so had to wonder if that was just another of their plots but perhaps these 2 were better actors, lol.

Edited by BearCat49

Australia to Boston area couple -- another kitchen with white cabinets, subway tile backsplash, and a farmhouse sink. I think I even saw some Edison type light fixtures somewhere. And of course there were some sliding barn doors in the house too. YAWN.

I liked the downstairs better except for the floor, which was way too busy with everything else going on there, at least too busy for me.

I will say, I thought I was going to hate the striped accent wall across from the entrance but I actually really liked it -- and I usually hate all striped walls. Overall, there was at least a refreshing lack of drama and entitledness.

Watched last night's episode about the Boston area couple who bought the major fixer upper - what a major project!  He was kind of humorous, and I especially liked his quip about the shrimp being served at the reveal being the shrimp they took out of that nasty pool.  I cannot believe they did not know that was a laminate floor and tried to refinish it.  I have to wonder if that was real or something made up for the show.  I was so happy to see that a homeowner finally decided that they could live with a small budget redo of a master bath instead of having to spend $10,000 on a luxury spa like room.  Resurfacing and changing the color of the ceramic tile on the walls is a very cost effective way of giving a bathroom a facelift for very little money.  Of course, they did spend $10,000 on the other 2 bathrooms, but to each his own as to how they want to spend their money.  I did not like the designer's choices of color or the ceiling stripes in the kitchen/dining room.  I agreed with the husband about repainting the walls while the wife was asleep.  He professed to like it at the end of the show.  Nice to have a big family to help with demo and reno and an uncle who owns a pool company.   

I was also wondering if they were really stupid enough to try to refinish laminate floors, or was it something that HGTV made them do in order to entertain the viewing audience (speaking of which, I'm convinced that part of the contract that all the HH's sign is a clause stating that they must use the word entertain or entertaining at least once during filming. Seriously -- that word is in every.damn.episode).

Same with them deciding to "demo" - tear out everything in the kitchen down to the studs, including the dry wall and insulation. Did they really just do that because they didn't know any better, or did HGTV/Pietown promise them more reimbursement for doing something stupid and amusing?

I was glad to see all the frogs in a bucket -- I decided that meant that the frogs and turtles were all rescued and relocated to a nearby pond rather than shoveled into a landfill or something.

Agreed on the annoying dining room color and the hideous (to me) ceiling stripes.

Same with them deciding to "demo" - tear out everything in the kitchen down to the studs, including the dry wall and insulation. Did they really just do that because they didn't know any better, or did HGTV/Pietown promise them more reimbursement for doing something stupid and amusing?

I was glad to see all the frogs in a bucket -- I decided that meant that the frogs and turtles were all rescued and relocated to a nearby pond rather than shoveled into a landfill or something.

I had the same reactions.  Once the homeowners mentioned that they'd found mold in the kitchen insulation, I decided that the whole scene was a set-up.  The kitchen demo looked like it had been very professionally done -- everything removed down to the studs, but all the wiring and plumbing kept intact.  That would have taken the husband and wife at least a few days to do and would have left a huge amount of rubbish to dispose of.  You mean to tell me they did all that without the contractor or the decorator noticing?  Or that they didn't bother telling anyone about the mold when they found it?

And yeah, I felt sorry for the extensive wildlife living in the pool that had reverted to a wetland.  Let's assume they had a happy ending.  And it was odd to spend $1,000 to fill the pool with water after the end of pool season.

• Love 1
would have left a huge amount of rubbish to dispose of

I enjoyed the shot of them tossing a few pieces of trim or something out the window onto the pine needles.  Nope, nothing staged about that!

And it was odd to spend $1,000 to fill the pool with water after the end of pool season.

I'm hoping the producers paid for that, since the only reason to do it is to get the After pool shot.

• Love 1

I was also wondering if they were really stupid enough to try to refinish laminate floors, or was it something that HGTV made them do in order to entertain the viewing audience (speaking of which, I'm convinced that part of the contract that all the HH's sign is a clause stating that they must use the word entertain or entertaining at least once during filming. Seriously -- that word is in every.damn.episode).

Agreed on the annoying dining room color and the hideous (to me) ceiling stripes.

JMHO but I don't believe HGTV needs to provide any of these participants with extra reimbursements b/c each and every episode contains faux, setup dramas.  The participants sign over creative control of the episode so they must go along with these phony plots.

Agree, if the guy had the skills to refinish h/w floors (not as easy as it looks, IMHO), he could recognize cheap laminate!  Plus, I'm they'd planned to install the h/w throughout, which they did.  Come on guys, producers, ptb - give us a break!

And that phony conflict scene about the window?  Oh, the drama of the designer and contractor stepping outside!  Please, that window issue would have been obvious IMHO and included in the contractor's original estimate.  If he missed it, he would have comp'ed it - JMHO.  That wife would have insisted on that, haha. 

And, sorry, but the uncle could have easily spotted the pool's coping issue b4 they drained it.  WRT the timing of filling the pool, did they say when this episode was filmed but I missed it?  The HGTV programs are pretty much all filmed around 6 months prior to air.  (They need that time for editing and post-production.)  So, assuming 6 months ago, that'd be the beginning of pool season.

Yes, the d/r was ugly but I assumed it was the wife's taste.  No, I doubt they did all that kitchen demo.  Should we believe that the husband took all kinds of time off work to do these tasks?  I believe someone would have seen evidence of the mold, too, i.e. b4 demo began. 

Edited by BearCat49

Watched last night's episode about the Boston area couple who bought the major fixer upper - what a major project!  He was kind of humorous, and I especially liked his quip about the shrimp being served at the reveal being the shrimp they took out of that nasty pool.  I cannot believe they did not know that was a laminate floor and tried to refinish it.  I have to wonder if that was real or something made up for the show.  I was so happy to see that a homeowner finally decided that they could live with a small budget redo of a master bath instead of having to spend $10,000 on a luxury spa like room.  Resurfacing and changing the color of the ceramic tile on the walls is a very cost effective way of giving a bathroom a facelift for very little money.  Of course, they did spend $10,000 on the other 2 bathrooms, but to each his own as to how they want to spend their money.  I did not like the designer's choices of color or the ceiling stripes in the kitchen/dining room.  I agreed with the husband about repainting the walls while the wife was asleep.  He professed to like it at the end of the show.  Nice to have a big family to help with demo and reno and an uncle who owns a pool company.   

Agree, good idea to reglaze the tile and if they wanted to do the other bathrooms, it's their choice.  That said, for this house, however, I seriously hated the m-bath's layout.  $10K won't cover a spa bath - thought they spent more on those other 2 baths.

They probably plan to remain in this home for a good while but you never know.  IMHO, for RE purposes, they needed to spend their $$$ on that messed up m-bath.  Reglazing with the bad layout was simply lipstick on a pig.  Still a pig -

Personally, I would have done a basic update on the kids' baths, e.g. new toilets, paint existing vanity (if possible), new fixtures and sinks, if necessary, to allow more $$$ for the master.  Unfortunately, I can't remember the kids' bath but don't remember them as being that awful.

JMHO

Again with the "I don't know which way to go" complaint about a split-level house.  Who comes up with this crap?  That house had plenty to legitimately criticize, so there was no need to toss in such a ridiculous complaint.

If I made a drinking game of every time the wife calls her husband "baby" - making it a double if she does it in a babyish voice - I'd be out cold before the reveal.  The HHs are both just a bit too much for me.

Edited by Bastet

Was watching an episode with Jillian and Erik in Boston.  Initially, I thought that their realtor was super snarky and rude.  I thought if I were the purchasers I would drop that realtor immediately, but then the more I watched, the more I realized that Erik was a big dummy! The realtor probably had heard a lot of stupid shit coming out of his mouth. Then during the reno Erik begins to tear apart the kitchen without prepping the area or doing his research.  Even his in-laws who had come to help install a bathroom during a 4 day weekend commented on what an "easy target" Erik is. 

I should have known I wouldn't like this couple when (in the introduction) Jillian reveals that she had been crushing on Erik for a while.  She asked him if he'd ever date her.  He said "no, there is no way that I could ever date you..."  Three months later he called her. Pathetic idiots. 

• Love 1

I saw a couple of Boston episodes this morning and I know I saw Erik but I can't remember which one he was.  Was he married to the nurse who was a germophobic?  There was also one who just made  a hole in the island for scraps.  I was kind of horrified at that.

I was also horrified at the design of the basement for that poor Australian guy's mom and dad.  It was so busy with that disgusting chevron orange floor...yikes.  Where do they get these designers?

NYGirl, yes.  The Boston Erik was married to Jillian, the germaphobe.

yeah, the hole in the island seemed stupid.  You can't just toss your scraps in the garbage like a regular human?  THAT has to be made easier? 

I also agree.  Who are these designers?  Does the House Hunters Reno team pair these designers with them for a discount or publicity or something?  I think Boston Erik and Jillian said they met their designer at the dog park.

Oh God yeah they did. But I think it's a ruse because production wants them to use a designer so they give them one. I remember another episode where the designer was a former contestant on HG Design star.

What about one of the houses today where the former owner had a live plug in the shower? Who the hell does that?

Another Boston one today I wanted to smack the wife who thought she was funny and auditioning for SNL or something. Her name was Erin and they moved from a house they lived in with roommates.

I liked the Fairfield couple with the blended family.  Yeah, she was trying to be the next Sofia Vergara but she was supportive of her husband, and he had the least childish temper tantrum ever, and apologized afterwards.

• Love 1

Clicked away from some CNN, Lisa Ling documentary about the older man, younger women financial arrangements just in time to catch HHR - Sugarbabies!  OMG!  What a treat - sorry, couldn't stand either one of them.

Hope he saves a few  $$$ b/c as soon as he finishes up the child support and gets his teenager out of college, she'll be ready for a nice payoff and younger model!  Loved the way she complained that his "design" (blech) would interfere with "my bed". 

And then the whole countertop drama - sounded as if the designer was proposing quartz, a natural but engineered stone.  It's as expensive as granite, more durable and very popular.  She never used the word "quartz" so wasn't sure.  It appeared as if the marble, b/c it was a remnant, required extra cuts - not surprising.

Loved the way "Baby" said if he'd been the architect of the tract home, he would have incorporated the entire d/r into the kitchen.  Yes, you're so smart!  Well, the tract homes were cookie cutter cracker boxes that represented the customs of the day, including a formal dining room and smaller kitchen.  Gee, things change, Baby.  Have you noticed that most new homes include open concept these days???  Glad you thought of that, hahaha ...

Then, he turns around and jams her youngest kid into a small carve-out from the dining room.  Thanks, Mr. Architect, Step-dad!  Sounds like great design, to me.  Bedroom off the kitchen with the youngest child on his own.  Mom had no problem with it.  Whatever - priorities!

Couldn't stand the staged walk-out during the kitchen cabinet drama.  Yes, those things happen, although it sounded as if the designer had erred.  The kitchen was nice, stock cabinets and all!  Hope it works out for them.t

BTW, Mr. Architect, it's not tough to locate load-bearing walls.  Yeah, you may get your pressed jeans dirty by going up in the attic for 5 minutes.  Sorry -

WRT his son, can't remember them shooting him head-on.  He had his back turned (at the stove) during the entire last scene.  Anybody else wonder if the ex wasn't thrilled about HHR?  Her kids didn't appear too chipper, either.  Trouble in paradise???  The long shooting day probably wouldn't have helped.

Did Mom need to be so rude, criticizing the one home in Portuguese?  (Felt sorry for the realtor and then learned that they had worked with her four years earlier!  See article link, below.)  Or, was she showing off for us, the audience?

Sounds like there's much more to the blended family's story!  Best of luck to them, especially the kids.

Edited by BearCat49

Who are these designers?  Does the House Hunters Reno team pair these designers with them for a discount or publicity or something?  I think Boston Erik and Jillian said they met their designer at the dog park.

HHR is (apparently) obtaining new, discount designers for these shows.  Googled an article about the Sugarbabies, Fairfield, CT episode and the young designer implied that she'd designed their kitchen before ever meeting them!  And, HGTV contacted her immediately after she'd set up a new Houzz account, before she'd even posted her portfolio pics, IIRC.  Sounds great - thanks for the freebie, HGTV! 

I'm sure they require and provide a designer in order to create conflict and drama for each episode.  They select a young, photogenic person to come in and spice up each episode.  As soon as the realtor's out of the picture, they need someone to play off of.  The contractors, usually, aren't particularly up for that challenge.

The Fairfield, CT episode's designer, Jenna, did a promo (article) for the episode.  Here's the link:

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/meriden/meridennews/5682806-129/hgtv-show-features-designer-from-meriden.html

Another article, posted by their realtor, indicates that HHR faked the plot.  Sounds as if they'd purchased a home together 4 years earlier!  So much for the brand new, sugarbaby relationship!  Apparently the truth was too boring for HHR - the realtor states they were moving primarily to get into a better school district.  Here's that link:

http://lindaraymond.wordpress.com/tag/house-hunters-renovation/

Also interesting that the project apparently lasted from October until April!  Not surprising but weren't they talking about 5 weeks or something and only 2 weeks in the hotel?  Love the way that these home reno programs insinuate that it's presto, change-o - new kitchen in a few weeks!

Edited by BearCat49

Then, he turns around and jams her youngest kid into a small carve-out from the dining room.

Not only did Matteo get a slice of a bedroom, they reused the red carpet (Hollywood red carpet) from the basement. Gross! Edited by AnnieGirl

Then, he turns around and jams her youngest kid into a small carve-out from the dining room.

Silly me, I thought the basement would become a family space since there were five people in that house.  Instead, an oversized master suite - complete with "lounge area" and a closet with room for her umpteen pairs of gravity-defying heels and his shirts to all be placed an inch apart - and the kids were shoehorned into the "bedrooms" that aren't legally bedrooms in most jurisdictions since they have no closets and that new room not much bigger than the kid's twin-sized bed.

I'm as tired as the next person of HHs who need a separate bedroom and bathroom for each child, but that kid got screwed.

• Love 1

When the designer was describing the counter top material as "cultured", I thought she was talking about cultured marble and not quartz.  Quartz is as expensive as granite, and can be more expensive depending on the patter and thickness of granite.  I liked the closet design she came up with for the master bedroom.  I recently looked at a house with the same closet plan and it was a great use of space.

I missed this episode and I'm so mad!!  I can't find it on demand or on HG's website :(

I guess I need to be late to the party and watch it when another marathon is played.

If you only see 1 episode of HHR, this is definitely the one to see, NYGirl

You're in luck, Baby!  It'll be repeated on 11/6 at 5pm e/p and then noon on 11/15.  Here's the show page.  http://www.hgtv.com/house-hunters-renovation/an-old-house-gets-a-new-master-plan/index.html

Could they find a more boring episode title?  Should have called it "Sugardaddy plays Architect". 

When the designer was describing the counter top material as "cultured", I thought she was talking about cultured marble and not quartz.  Quartz is as expensive as granite, and can be more expensive depending on the patter and thickness of granite.  I liked the closet design she came up with for the master bedroom.  I recently looked at a house with the same closet plan and it was a great use of space.

Good catch, laredhead.  Never heard her say "cultured".  Saw the sample she held up and thought it was quartz but it could have been cultured marble, too.  Wow, Baby was really cheaping out if they were using cultured marble, circa 1985.  Yes, we usually prefer quartz.

Agree, that's a good, basic closet plan that's currently popular.  It works.

Didn't care for their master bath, however.  Not sure how much the designer was involved.  They ended up with tiny, double sinks on one side, at one vanity and no sink on the other, for her products.  Didn't care for the shower curtain and no tub (IIRC).

You're right, Bastet.  The large basement should have been family space.  And she managed to get those younger kids floors away.  Priorities, priorities.  At least we can rest, assured that Viagra sales are going strong in CT!

Edited by BearCat49

Not only did Matteo get a slice of a bedroom, they reused the red carpet (Hollywood red carpet) from the basement. Gross!

Good catch, AnnieGirl.  You're right!  Was so overwhelmed by everything going on - don't know how I missed that.

How disgusting!  Hoping that at least they cleaned the old remnant.  Wow, what a cheap b***.  Bet his kid wasn't stuck with that, upstairs.

Matteo was a cutie.  His step-bro probably doesn't even live there, full-time.  Well, hopefully, Matteo can move upstairs when the step-bro goes away to college and they'll jam guests into the dining room carve-out.

Thanks, BearCat49! This really answered my question.  Now it makes more sense!

Anytime, zenme.  Cool screen name, BTW!

• Love 1

So what's with the shaker kitchen cabinets on every HH Renovation?  And what's with the shelving for the dinnerware when they could easily put an upper cabinet?  Are they using designers from the same company that they make the same kitchen in every show?  What gives?

I liked the couple from last night's show.  Non-drama, non-whiney, cute.  Besides they picked my favorite house!  My son and I were watching together and agreed it was exactly like the house that he grew up in and  I sold 2 years ago.  When I saw the giant radiator in the living room I got verklempt.  The designer got all  huffy when the wife wasn't crazy about the accent wall.  I myself am not an accent wall lover too.  You go girl!

Now I'm beginning to notice that they manufacture the drama just like every single HG show...asbestos, the horrors!  Big problem after opening the walls.  I can't understand why the HHs don't put aside money for the big problem that's going to arise once they start demolition, i.e., rodents, asbestos, faulty wiring, load bearing walls, etc.  You know it's going to be there.

• Love 1

I can't understand why the HHs don't put aside money for the big problem that's going to arise once they start demolition, i.e., rodents, asbestos, faulty wiring, load bearing walls, etc.  You know it's going to be there.

I thought these two did really well.  They noted that had budgeted for some additions and came out $35K with a $40K budget.

Also budget is one reason you use open shelves.  The other reason is windows, the issue they had where they used shelves.  It looks really dumb to put a cabinet up against a window but floating shelves give you some storage without looking out of place by hiding half the window.

• Love 1

Speaking of shelves, I like those shelves that hold the dinner plates in vertical slots.  Seems so much easier to access them that way - as opposed to my cabinet which has the dinner plates under a stack of 9" melamine square snack plates, which are under some random smaller plates from dinner sets that no longer exist, which are under a large soup bowl, which holds some ice cream dishes - lol. 

To just be able to take out a dinner plate without having to lift anything else - ah, heaven!  =)

• Love 1