Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters Renovation - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just caught the Baltimore Row House episode and I can't believe I am going to say this, but that couple was just so basic. Ugh, her dumb voice. She picked every overdone trendy thing ever.

Whiny and nasally.  Ugh.  Just had to have 15 jets in the shower.  The shower that was the size of a hall closet.  Just had to have an island with an overhang.  I forget all the other things she just had to have.  I wanted them to end up with the cape with the weird raised toilet in the basement.

• Love 1

I couldn't understand giving up a dining room just to have a powder room on the first floor.  I'm sorry, but that kitchen looked cramped with that big island in it, and if you put bodies on all of those stools, there's not going to be any room to maneuver around in there.

That shower just offended me; what a freaking waste of water.

Just caught the Baltimore Row House episode and I can't believe I am going to say this, but that couple was just so basic. Ugh, her dumb voice. She picked every overdone trendy thing ever.

Don't usually watch reruns but I remember this episode from its initial airing.  Also happened to catch the renovation portion the other night.  Funny, I noticed additional problems (IMHO) with their renovation.

Notwithstanding any trends, IMHO their biggest mistake was over-improving the property.  This was 900 sq. ft. downtown row house - did the property warrant the installation of a spa shower and appliances designed for families of 4-6 people?  How often can young urban professional couples, rushing out the door to either work or other activities, use and enjoy a spa shower to its full potential? 

Good idea to remove a tub?  Yes, they added a 1/2 bath downstairs but downgraded their mbr to a 1-3/4 bath, IIRC.  Is the eventual purchaser of their property most likely a male?  Or, do women tend to make or have the final word WRT RE buying decisions?  Women who IMHO typically prefer bathtubs, that is.   

They talked about that home as if it would be their forever home.  How long would they remain in the city after having children?  Until they start school?  It's doubtful, IMHO.  If they reside there 5 years, I'd be extremely surprised.

If they do sell in less than 5 years so the improvements remain relatively fresh and new, yes, the home may sell faster than a comparable row house but for a similar price/sq. ft.  Homes reach a value ceiling IMHO wherein additional improvements add nothing to their value.  So, bottom line, the next owner may reap the rewards of their overspending and poor (from a RE $$$ perspective) choices.

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 1

I couldn't understand giving up a dining room just to have a powder room on the first floor.  I'm sorry, but that kitchen looked cramped with that big island in it, and if you put bodies on all of those stools, there's not going to be any room to maneuver around in there.

That shower just offended me; what a freaking waste of water.

I believe the addition of a powder room was the best decision they made.  That said, I agree that it was poorly located.  Everybody notice how they compounded the problem by placing a deep piece of clunky furniture in front of it and 2 chairs along that wall?  Ridiculous, IMHO -  They forgot to ask me (lol) but a piece of artwork and shallow console on that wall with nothing on the brick wall or a shallow hutch/bookcase/wall unit on the brick wall w/artwork on the opposite wall would have been sufficient.

Not sure how many people would use a d/r in a 900 sq. ft. row house.  That area certainly could have been used as a family room or additional living space.  (For holidays, if necessary, a  temp d/r could be set up.)  For most people, most of the time, the large island would suffice as a d/r, IMHO.  During the summer months, they may wish to utilize their roof deck for al fresco dining.

It sounded as if she wanted a d/r only b/c she'd had one in her 3,000 sq. ft. (or whatever it was) Buffalo home.  When they eventually list, I'd probably stage it differently.  JMHO

Ok, so, the main issue - where, oh where to locate the 1/2 bath?  Many times, the best place is under the stairway, along the wall.  In their home, however, they have a central, interior stairway so locating it there would disrupt the home's open concept flow and probably make a small space feel smaller by limiting their natural light.  BTW, yes I get that the designer probably placed it adjacent to the kitchen to facilitate the plumbing hookup and minimize costs.

Considering their long brick wall, I believe they should have tried the opposite wall, within the dead space between the end of the f/p and the stairway.  Not much space is required for a powder room and they could have made it something of an architectural feature to disguise it.  WRT plumbing, yes, it might have cost a tad more but I believe the other 2 baths would be directly above it.  And, they wasted plenty of $$$ in other areas that could have been available, lol.  JMHO.

Edited b/c they had a roof "deck" but no roof "desk", lol!

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 1

I find the row houses I have seen on HHR claustrophobic.  Maybe if it were an end unit with windows on one side, it would seem more open, but 900 sf on two floors is very small.  I would not have gotten rid of the bathtub.  The demographic of buyers for this type of housing is probably couples or singles, but if a single mother or father with a young child was considering the property to buy, the lack of a tub might be a deal breaker because having a tub in which to bathe young children is almost a necessity.  I don't think I would have installed that huge island in the kitchen.  In the closing scene people were standing between it and the wall and there was very little room to move around it freely.  I would have gone with a counter height table placed against the wall and the table could be expanded from a narrow width to a larger size to accommodate several people when necessary.  One doesn't have to have granite on all surfaces of the kitchen.

• Love 2

I find the row houses I have seen on HHR claustrophobic.  Maybe if it were an end unit with windows on one side, it would seem more open, but 900 sf on two floors is very small.  I would not have gotten rid of the bathtub.  The demographic of buyers for this type of housing is probably couples or singles, but if a single mother or father with a young child was considering the property to buy, the lack of a tub might be a deal breaker because having a tub in which to bathe young children is almost a necessity.  I don't think I would have installed that huge island in the kitchen.  In the closing scene people were standing between it and the wall and there was very little room to move around it freely.  I would have gone with a counter height table placed against the wall and the table could be expanded from a narrow width to a larger size to accommodate several people when necessary.  One doesn't have to have granite on all surfaces of the kitchen.

Darn, my reply was eaten!

They did have a bathtub in their second bath, laredhead.  So that was covered.  Good ideas for the kitchen, although, as a cook, I'd appreciate the island for an additional work space.  Would set up my dining table (see below) in the family room, assuming the powder room was relocated.

In fact, IMHO, if they'd saved a few $$$ elsewhere, they could have easily reno'd both bathrooms!  I would have definitely voted for that b/c of their plasticky, yuchy, molded showers.

To quickly summarize my other ideas ...  Did they really need wide plank h/w?  The oak was in great condition.  Why not extend it into the kitchen to enlarge the space and stain it dark for an updated look?  Would have to price it out and consider quality, too.  It may have been cheaper to replace it.

Besides the oversized appliances mentioned above, did they truly need custom cabinets?  use stock cabinetry and have your HHR (free) designer and contractor/carpenter design and build out the space, utilizing shelving or molding (or whatever) for a custom look.

As an aside, was that kitchen in bad shape to begin with?  How about painting out the cabs (doesn't have to be white, BTW), updating the hardware and adding a small island for an add'l work surface?  Yes, replace the appliances, if necessary, with the same size units. 

Using the $$$ saved, change out the countertops.  To make it special and custom, select a beautiful, unique granite slab or even marble for the island.  If you don't gut the kitchen, your free resources might have time to assist with the upstairs baths - yippee!

Returning to their current situation:

Instead of a 4-person island, how about 3?  Using an overhang on the end, 2 add'l chairs could be pulled up if/when necessary for large parties?  Moreover, if the 1/2 bath had been tucked in the dead space (as suggested above), the extra peeps would spill into the adjacent family room (f/r) during parties.

How often would they entertain that many people?  That was the problem, IMHO.  They need that add'l living space.  I can see someone demo'ing that 1/2 bath in the future to reclaim the space!

For formal, everyday dining, I'd place a small, round table in the f/r.  W/o the powder room, I'd do a seating area and flatscreen or other entertainment / wall unit on that opposite (non-brick) wall.  For dinner parties, I'd push the seating area aside and expand the round table. 

For the upstairs baths, I'd lose the ridiculous 15 shower heads but consider a jetted tub for a spa-like feel.  (They've come down in price.)  So, I'd do a nicer update on the m-bath but an above-average reno on the 2nd bath, tiling out the shower/tub combo.

Too many lost opportunities, IMHO.  Did their designer kinda' disappear, looking a tad frustrated?  The plumber wasn't shy about expressing it, lol ... 

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 2

Bear Cat, it's been several weeks since I've seen this episode and I forgot that place had 2 bathrooms upstairs.  All good ideas you expressed, but my best idea would be not to buy it at all.  Those row houses remind me of some of those postage stamp size Paris apartments featured on HHI.

Edited by laredhead

Bear Cat, it's been several weeks since I've seen this episode and I forgot that place had 2 bathrooms upstairs.  All good ideas you expressed, but my best idea would be not to buy it at all.  Those row houses remind me of some of those postage stamp size Parish apartments featured on HHI.

No worries - not a big deal.  I tend to focus on these types of maneuvers b/c they're compromising the RE value by downgrading a bathroom to only a 3/4 bath, although in this instance they picked up a 1/2 bath.

WRT their purchase, I doubt they can go wrong with that location.  It always comes back to that, IMHO.  They shouldn't have any problems unloading a Federal Hill row house if/when the market goes south.  (That is, unless there's something else that's generally unknown about Federal Hill.  Anyone from Baltimore around?)

We're on the same page about the unit's size.  Sometimes it's cheaper/easier to reno a small space, picking up stone remnants and other items to save $$$.  That said, it's always important to avoid over-improvement and satisfy the needs and wants of their most likely purchaser(s).  The wife, however, still thought she was living in a 3K s.f. Buffalo tract home, making improvements to satisfy the needs of a large family, i.e. not their likely demographic. 

Edited by BearCat49

Has anyone watched the HHR Johannesburg episode?  I loved the part of the renovation that they completed.  That was a monumental undertaking and they spent double their planned budget which wasn't surprising considering what they did.  I would love to have a kitchen that looked like that with a solid wall of glass overlooking a backyard built around a pool.  Some of the choices were a bit frivolous, IMO, but the overall effect gave the wow factor.  Maybe they will return for a second episode when phase 3 is finished.  I am assuming that there were at least 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms in the part of the house that was completed.  I thought I heard them say phase 3 would be connected to the kitchen by an elevated bridge, is that correct?   

Did we ever see what was down in the basement area?

For the Federal Hill row house, DownTheShore?  IIRC (from viewing the initial house tour), the basement had a family room / additional living area that the husband planned to use as a man cave.  So no additional bathroom and like the bedrooms, it didn't appear to need any renovation.  I don't remember the couple ever contemplating or planning any updates to it in the future, either.

• Love 1

Has anyone watched the HHR Johannesburg episode?  I loved the part of the renovation that they completed.  That was a monumental undertaking and they spent double their planned budget which wasn't surprising considering what they did.  I would love to have a kitchen that looked like that with a solid wall of glass overlooking a backyard built around a pool.  Some of the choices were a bit frivolous, IMO, but the overall effect gave the wow factor.  Maybe they will return for a second episode when phase 3 is finished.  I am assuming that there were at least 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms in the part of the house that was completed.  I thought I heard them say phase 3 would be connected to the kitchen by an elevated bridge, is that correct?   

Johannesburg?  Has HHR done any international episodes?  I may have heard about a new series, similar to HHI, but never heard any airdates.  Do you have a season and episode number, laredhead?

Was this Leyla and Ryan? He got on my nerves and I had to turn it off so I didn't get to see the end. When he was instructing that worker on the proper way to do something I was hoping the worker guy would whack him in that big mouth with his trowel or whatever tool he had in his hand. 

Edited by bubbls

Yes, it was Leyla and Ryan.  I was fascinated by the construction of the pool entirely by hand using manual labor.  Bearcat49, i don't have an episode number, but my DVR recorded it over this past weekend and I've already erased it so that info is gone.   

Yes, it was Leyla and Ryan.  I was fascinated by the construction of the pool entirely by hand using manual labor.  Bearcat49, i don't have an episode number, but my DVR recorded it over this past weekend and I've already erased it so that info is gone.   

Thanks for the info, laredhead.  Checked the HGTV website and sure enough, as I speculated previously, this is a new series, House Hunters International Renovation.  So that's why my dvr didn't pick it up and others may be missing out.

Has anyone requested another forum?  I noticed add'l episodes on HGTV's schedule.

• Love 2

For the Federal Hill row house, DownTheShore?  IIRC (from viewing the initial house tour), the basement had a family room / additional living area that the husband planned to use as a man cave.  So no additional bathroom and like the bedrooms, it didn't appear to need any renovation.  I don't remember the couple ever contemplating or planning any updates to it in the future, either.

I wonder why they just didn't put the powder room downstairs then? I mean, they're both young and probably not incontinent. Why chop up the main floor when folks could have a choice of upstairs or downstairs?

• Love 1

Has anyone requested another forum?

It wouldn't be a forum, just a new thread within this forum -- that is, if someone wants to create a separate one for the international renovation episodes rather than discussing them in this thread.  We already have so many threads, and the renovation episodes are weekly rather than daily, so I'm content to continue discussing them here.

HHI Renovation - Saturday 10pm and Sunday 1am

http://www.hgtv.com/shows/house-hunters-international-renovation

Thanks for posting the schedule, DownTheShore.  (Meant to do that, earlier, but was in a rush over at the HGTV website.)  I see it's replacing HHR b/c S4 was recently completed.  Tells me how my dvr missed it.  Mine's set to record by show instead of time slot.

It wouldn't be a forum, just a new thread within this forum -- that is, if someone wants to create a separate one for the international renovation episodes rather than discussing them in this thread.  We already have so many threads, and the renovation episodes are weekly rather than daily, so I'm content to continue discussing them here.

I meant to say "thread" - will edit.  Thanks, Bastet

Yes, it's fine when they're weekly until tptb begin airing rerun marathons at all hours of the night and day.  They're already, very quickly, up to 4 entire seasons of HHR.  To keep it clean and segregated from the others, I'd rather separate it into a new thread, from the get-go.  JMHO

I wonder why they just didn't put the powder room downstairs then? I mean, they're both young and probably not incontinent. Why chop up the main floor when folks could have a choice of upstairs or downstairs?

Don't know if I previously posted about it above, DownTheShore, but did consider the basement for an additional bathroom and rejected that idea.  Their main living and entertaining area is the main floor so IMHO, that's where a powder room s/b located.  Besides the physical needs of both their existing family and guests, it's the logical place WRT resale.  And, as mentioned previously, I doubt they'll own this home for a total of 5 years. 

The designer destroyed that dining room, space that I would have set up as a family room, b/c he wanted to tap into the existing kitchen plumbing.  I get it but determined that they could have carved the powder room out underneath the center stairs and the two upper bathrooms.  Yes, it would have cost them a few more $$$ but they'd retain that living space, valuable RE in a row home.

Next, very importantly, they should complete a minor renovation of the 2nd bathroom, upstairs.  If they complete that and can make another change before they move, assuming they have sufficient s.f., I believe they'd maximize value by converting the man cave into an additional bedroom / 2nd master, including a full bath and closet.

They can consult with their (eventual) listing realtor but that would give them the option of either staging the space as a bonus room / family room / man cave or showing it as a 2nd master for professionals, e.g. roommates living downtown, close to work.  Always nice to have options, IMHO.

JMHO

• Love 1

Things you never expected to hear on House Hunters: The wife in the Amsterdam episode last night, seeing the big closet, actually joked, "I'll have to go shopping. I don't have that many clothes."

I liked this episode, but then the Amsterdam eps are usually good.

• Love 3

Things you never expected to hear on House Hunters: The wife in the Amsterdam episode last night, seeing the big closet, actually joked, "I'll have to go shopping. I don't have that many clothes."

I liked this episode, but then the Amsterdam eps are usually good.

The Amsterdam episode was awesome. I can't imagine living in that space with children while the entire building was undergoing such an extensive renovation. 

The Amsterdam episode was awesome. I can't imagine living in that space with children while the entire building was undergoing such an extensive renovation. 

Overall, it was a good episode but I just didn't buy that part of the story.  Sounded like the typical HH drama and they displayed very little, if any, actual evidence of it.  JMHO but I believe that was the add'l $6K of their budget, i.e. continuing their existing rental during the renovation period.

BTW, I have no idea why tptb apparently believe we, the viewers, require extra, faux drama.  In my experience, any construction project, large or small, typically provides more than enough drama without manufacturing any whatsoever.

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 2

BearCat, having gone through 4 major remodeling projects, I can attest to the fact that no added drama is needed.  I thought I heard the owner say there is more work to be done, but I couldn't figure out what else had been planned.  I loved the children climbing on the climbing wall and thought about past HH's who cringe at the thought of their little darlings taking a tumble down 2 steps in a house.  

• Love 2
I loved the children climbing on the climbing wall and thought about past HH's who cringe at the thought of their little darlings taking a tumble down 2 steps in a house.

Not only did they have a climbing wall, but multiple flights of stairs!  The horror! 

Did anyone notice if they had a laundry room anywhere?  So many flights of stairs, so much laundry...I hope it was on the master bedroom level instead of all the way in the basement.  That's if they had it at all!

I always fret about laundry when watching HH and HHI since they rarely mention it even though it's always been one of the top three things I looked for when renting and buying.

• Love 2

So what do people think became of Huub, the project manager guy?  I thought it was a little awkward that he didn't have any screentime after the dad yelled at him and that he wasn't around at the ending.  It was just the couple talking about their house to their guests.

I thought the dad's comment, during the yelling, about "we keep specifying certain things in the plans which your guys keep ignoring" (or whatever it was) seemed remarkably sincere.  It didn't feel scripted at all.  That, coupled with Huub's disappearance from the episode afterwards, gave me the impression that he'd actually done something of a crappy job supervising. 

I thought the dad's comment, during the yelling, about "we keep specifying certain things in the plans which your guys keep ignoring" (or whatever it was) seemed remarkably sincere.  It didn't feel scripted at all.

I think it was sincere.  Here in the US we assume that if we say we will have a 36" refrigerator that there is no discussion.  My friends in Berlin/London both said that the craftsmen will make another decision for you.  The refrigerator was a big fight.  The cabinet maker decided that the refrig was silly big and 'you don't need that, this is better'.  So I saw a lot of the Amsterdam as being the same thing.  The stairs were built for a standard upright, not a large American side by side.  The brick on the front facade?  You actually saw a workman saying 'no we do this'.  So I bet that was the last straw for the hubs.  

They mentioned that at some point they wanted to do some work on the master bedroom level.  My guess is for more privacy on that floor.  My question was - where are their bikes?  Are they coming in that white front parlor?  I think they have a garden in the back.  Maybe the bikes have access to the garden?  It's going to drive me nuts.

I think it was sincere.  Here in the US we assume that if we say we will have a 36" refrigerator that there is no discussion.  My friends in Berlin/London both said that the craftsmen will make another decision for you. 

I have some experience with European craftsmen and can totally see what you're talking about.  Wasn't that the same discussion about the stairs?  That the dimensions were very clearly laid out but that the stairmaker just went ahead and built something else instead?

I have some experience with European craftsmen and can totally see what you're talking about.  Wasn't that the same discussion about the stairs?  That the dimensions were very clearly laid out but that the stairmaker just went ahead and built something else instead?

IIRC, the homeowner believed everything was clearly specified but they were built larger and with a different turn/jog, interfering with the kitchen design.

I really wanted to know how much the cost overruns for all the mistakes ended up being. A fixed cost remodel sounds like the most sensible idea imaginable!

WRT the cost overruns, if it was the gc's error, then I assume they ate them and we'll never know.  They may have accepted that in exchange for the HHI/R promotion.  We did learn that they apparently left some windows for the homeowner to install himself b/c windows weren't bid.

The fixed cost remodel is the deal arranged on these programs by the HHR ptb.  They provide the designer, free of charge, plus a certain fixed $$$ amount for the reno.

It might be tough to negotiate one w/o that additional factor, i.e. the promotion.  On a normal job, the trades don't hesitate to pull out their change-order form.

The fixed cost remodel is the deal arranged on these programs by the HHR ptb.  They provide the designer, free of charge, plus a certain fixed $$$ amount for the reno.

This isn't true. The show provides the designer but the homeowner is in charge of the contractors and the relationship between them. Also, we have seen several episodes where the homeowners go vastly over budget. 

• Love 1

This isn't true. The show provides the designer but the homeowner is in charge of the contractors and the relationship between them. Also, we have seen several episodes where the homeowners go vastly over budget. 

Needless to say, I disagree with the black and white statement, "isn't true", biakbiak.  IMHO that's a tad harsh.  My post only referred to the initial contracts for the basic deal - not the working relationship between the various parties.  IMHO, it's important to remember that both a television program and a renovation are in process.

Agreed, after execution of the appropriate contracts and when everyone is on board, the homeowner takes over that relationship.  You're speaking of another phase of the project, i.e. not the initial arrangement where HHR sets up the situation, specifying their needs for filming a television episode.  The homeowners' priorities and the production company's might not always jive but that's an entirely separate subject.

On some episodes, it's obvious or apparent (IMHO) that the homeowners may have contracted separately for additional work, over and above the standard HHR deal.  Again, that's a different situation.  In this particular episode, it appeared that this couple was unable to afford additional work.  That's why they left two floors for an additional phase and apparently even installed a few windows on their own.

Almost everything in life, IMHO, has shades of grey.

ETA:  Incidentally, I was returning to post about the husband's management of the g/c, i.e. a different topic, IMHO. 

Edited by BearCat49

I think it was sincere.  Here in the US we assume that if we say we will have a 36" refrigerator that there is no discussion.  My friends in Berlin/London both said that the craftsmen will make another decision for you.  The refrigerator was a big fight.  The cabinet maker decided that the refrig was silly big and 'you don't need that, this is better'.  So I saw a lot of the Amsterdam as being the same thing.  The stairs were built for a standard upright, not a large American side by side.  The brick on the front facade?  You actually saw a workman saying 'no we do this'.  So I bet that was the last straw for the hubs.  

They mentioned that at some point they wanted to do some work on the master bedroom level.  My guess is for more privacy on that floor.  My question was - where are their bikes?  Are they coming in that white front parlor?  I think they have a garden in the back.  Maybe the bikes have access to the garden?  It's going to drive me nuts.

I could be wrong but didn't get the impression the workmen were making some sort of a judgment call, assuming they'd prefer to (or should) go greener or simply installing the product or material they were used to using.  Or, that that's what the h/w believed they were doing -  WRT the refrigerator, the wife mentioned that the larger staircase and/or different angle impacted/reduced her bin storage.  So the frig wasn't the only problem and it sounded as if the measurements were more than a little off.

In both instances, the changes would have increased the contractors' profit margins, IMHO.  Naturally, I thought the couple believed they were purposely using inferior materials for that very reason.  (I believe the episode made that inference or gave that impression.)  Unfortunately, there's a huge incentive to do just that when working with a fixed price contract and the reason that careful management is necessary when using that type of contract, IMHO.

Yes, I noticed that Huub sorta' disappeared after that.  He didn't say much when confronted by the husband.  Had that "busted" look on his face, IMHO.  And, the no-show on the reveal speaks volumes, to me.

I always wonder about things like the laundry and bikes, too, BTW.

Edited by BearCat49
after execution of the appropriate contracts and when everyone is on board, the homeowner takes over that relationship.  You're speaking of another phase of the project, i.e. not the initial arrangement where HHR sets up the situation, specifying their needs for filming a television episode.  The homeowners' priorities and the production company's might not always jive but that's an entirely separate subject.

I am well aware it is a television show and was basing my "that isn't true" on my friend's experience who was approached to do this show because a friend of theirs works on production and got fairly far along in the process before they decided the remodel was stressful enough they didn't need to add cameras and a crew around as well.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

I am well aware it is a television show and was basing my "that isn't true" on my friend's experience who was approached to do this show because a friend of theirs works on production and got fairly far along in the process before they decided the remodel was stressful enough they didn't need to add cameras and a crew around as well.

Then you can kindly acknowledge that the situation in this episode is/was different than your friend's but that doesn't make anything contained in my post false.

In the meantime, if you have additional backstory about their process to share, then please do.

Edited by BearCat49

Okay, let's just take a breath and move on. Maybe some have experience with the show and maybe some don't, but it's getting a wee bit sharp here, so just acknowledge those differences and stick to the folks and details on the show.

Thanks.

• Love 2

I don't like white subway tile in kitchens, and I really dislike it when they dark grout with it.

DownTheShore, I absolutely agree. I don't like white subway tiles in kitchens or bathrooms. I live in New York City. We have many subways with subway tiles. Seeing them in houses makes me think of roars and stinks.

Edited by Apprentice Ilisidi
  • Love 2

DownTheShore, I absolutely agree. I don't like white subway tiles in kitchens or bathrooms. I live in New York City. We have many subways with subway tiles. Seeing them in houses makes me think of roars and stinks.

It's been overused on this program and others, IMHO, b/c it's basic and affordable.  And, as discussed previously, in general, the designers on this program don't have significant personal experience with these homeowners so they appear to be making generic design choices.

Shaker style cabinets, anyone?  If we see another kitchen with these proposed ... lol

Edited by BearCat49

Shaker style cabinets, anyone?  If we see another kitchen with these proposed ... lol

You'l have to speak for yourself there. We spent a ton of money this year redoing our kitchen, including new custom Shaker-style cherry cabinets. I love them.

The thing that gets me about this show (other than the formulaic structure--oh no! how will we resolve the crisis that will be totally dealt with by minute 48?) is the insanity of the budgets. I wish they would be more transparent about what is comped, since clearly a lot of things must be for them to do all they do for so little money.

• Love 1

You'l have to speak for yourself there. We spent a ton of money this year redoing our kitchen, including new custom Shaker-style cherry cabinets. I love them.

The thing that gets me about this show (other than the formulaic structure--oh no! how will we resolve the crisis that will be totally dealt with by minute 48?) is the insanity of the budgets. I wish they would be more transparent about what is comped, since clearly a lot of things must be for them to do all they do for so little money.

Ok, will speak for myself,  jcbrown, lol.  Actually, IIRC, have previously posted about these issues and don't want to bore everyone so will keep it short.

WRT the shaker style cabinets, I actually do like them.  On HHR, however, they've been used in almost every reno.  (Or, it may just seem that way, hahaha.)  The backstory that came out is that the show provides, meaning comps, a designer.  Unfortunately, in most episodes, they don't have a personal connection to the participants and apparently aren't allowed (or perhaps it's not budgeted) to meet with the couple in advance of presenting a design on camera.  So, speculation here, IMHO that results in generic material choices with very popular and/or basic designs, e.g. white kitchens, shaker cabs, subway tile, s/s, etc...

Another thing that's come out is the show's apparently pulling newbie designers off houzz or other websites.  One would hope that they'd take some design risks but they prob don't want to tank on camera.  Because I love design, would prefer to see some different materials and/or other innovative ideas. 

Living in one of the U.S.' highest cost areas , I'm used to insane budgets but as you indicated, these don't seem that bad.  However, I'm not particularly impressed with what they're accomplishing.  I've noted instances upthread where they've seriously cheaped out renos, WRT specific episodes.  For example, once the designer seriously compromised a kitchen's triangle b/c they didn't demo an existing powder room.  No worries, they never mentioned this on camera.  Easy peasy, they simply shot around the powder room and if viewers missed it, too bad!

So, for that episode, I wish the participants had contributed more $$$ instead of sticking with the fixed price budget provided by the show.  (IIRC, it was 30K and the couple only added another 5K or possibly 10K of their own funds.)  It's fine if that was their choice but how about disclosing that choice to the viewers together with the various designs and their pros and cons?  Let's make it a learning experience instead of an exercise in shooting around and covering up.  IMHO, it wasn't worth doing the kitchen, leaving that powder room. 

Perhaps the minimal $$$ budgeted/used for a couple of other rooms could have been applied to the powder room's demo and relocation.  If they couldn't afford its relo, why not schedule it for an additional phase but do the kitchen completely?  Or don't, but let's review that major, conscious decision during the show!   

Anyway, to summarize, I believe it's come out from other sources, i.e. not tptb, that the designer's comped and the show provides a fixed price budget.  If the participants care to contract with the local g/c for add'l work, they're free to do so.  Or, they can manage the extra work themselves.  (Thinking about the Boston area woman who did just that with near disastrous results!) 

I've never heard that they're receiving comp'd materials or add'l labor (besides the designer) ala Property Brothers, LIOLI  or Income Property.  BTW, in my understanding it's pretty standard for HGTV that the designer's comp'd.

Oops, not so short, lol ...

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 1

Well now my feelings are hurt 'cause I just retiled a shower using subway tiles. A sort of tribute to my way, way long ago past.

I gotta tell you, Apprentice, though you are one of those who hurt my feelings....(insert crybaby emoticon here), what I most remember about the subway is: the smell, the noise, and Grossinger's rye bread signs (although I couldn't read at the time). I will try to forgive you and your fellow subway tile haters (et tu, DowntheShore?)....

I got the small tiles and grouted in white, though I originally thought I'd do gray....but basically, I was merely going for a stark white look, and so much of the white tiles I found had a marble-ish thing going on.

Anyway, who are you to judge me (that's a Dorothy Svornak line from the Golden Girls).

Shaker cabinets are a classic, end of discussion  (I took my "attitude" pill before I logged on.)

• Love 4

While neither is my favorite style, I have no general objection to Shaker cabinets or subway tiles, but I'm tired of them being used in so many renovations on this show, regardless of the style and era of home.  That's going to get just as tiresome as the repetitive wish lists of HHs on the regular show.

• Love 2

While neither is my favorite style, I have no general objection to Shaker cabinets or subway tiles, but I'm tired of them being used in so many renovations on this show, regardless of the style and era of home.  That's going to get just as tiresome as the repetitive wish lists of HHs on the regular show.

Agree, Bastet - that's the point I was trying to make in my long-winded manner, above!  Too much of anything is typically not a good thing, right?  Have seen some incredible granite slabs and s/s works well in certain designs but why does every HH participant require basic granite and s/s in every. single. kitchen???

I'm sure your kitchen is beautiful, jcbrown!  Would be thrilled to see one of the HHR designers simply pitch cherry instead of white, paint-grade cabs.

HHR ptb, participants and designers:  if anyone reads this blog, please, please, please take some risks!  Trust me, we'd love it.  And if a few people have different tastes, don't worry about it.  As viewers, we may prefer certain HGTV designers over others but still watch all of them for design ideas.

HHR Participants, you're receiving a bunch of freebies.  Why not contribute a few extra $$$ and go for it?

I remember one of the shows, don't remember if it was HH or HHR where they redid the kitchen and had the refrigerator in the middle of one long wall, and the stove and sink on the wall opposite it.  The only problem was, they stuck and island in the middle of the rectangular kitchen, so anyone who wants anything from the refrigerator or vice versa has to constantly walk around the island.

I like Shaker-style cabinets, but yes, Mojito, I do find white subway tiles extremely boring.  They just remind me of public restrooms from when I was a kid, and they were always nasty places. (Anyone remember having to pay a nickel or dime just to get into one of the stalls there? The guys, of course, got to pee at the urinals for free, which was one of the reasons why the the laws were changed to ban pay toilets).