Type keyword(s) to search

Fringe - General Discussion

Jipijapa
  • Start Topic

I have to rant a bit. 

I'm rewatching the show with my girlfriend, who's watching it for the first time. We're at the end of Season 3. I'm dreading the twist at the end, and I've already told her if she doesn't want to watch past that point we don't have to. She has this thing where one bad move by a show makes her swear it off forever. Typically I try and persuade her to keep giving shows a chance, but I just don't feel like the show went in a worthwhile direction after this season. I'm even more bothered by certain other choices near the end of this season than I used to be--important character aspects being overlooked like Bell never seeing Nina when he's possessing Olivia, Peter and Olivia never discussing his killing the shapeshifters, the dropped idea of "I think he's the man that kills me," etc.--and it feels like there were so many missed opportunities given how well this season was set up. 

While Peter's disappearance did set up some interesting ideas and new avenues, like Olivia being raised by Nina, ultimately I think it closed off so many others that it wasn't worth it. We never truly got to see the fallout of everything that happened in Season 3. We finally got to see the two sides interact and join forces, but now the whole context was different--the two Walters and the two Olivias still had major beef with each other, but it wasn't *our* beef. It wasn't fully about the issues we'd spent three seasons building up, so it was hard to care. We never got to see Olivia deal with finding out that Peter and Faux had a child--even within the context of Peter's erasure from reality, this was unforgivable. 

Did Peter ever tell Olivia he had a child with Faux in the previous timeline? After being told by September this plotline is completely dropped. This was absurd for a show built on the foundation of the lengths fathers will go to to save their sons. I understand Peter never met the little guy, but still, finding out that he had a son who was wiped from existence should have had SOME effect on his character. You can headcanon that this is part of his motivation for not getting back with Olivia at the end of that episode, and even his hatred of Observers later on, but that's all between the lines. Why didn't he demand September find a way to return the child? They could have even had September say something like "The child will return, but not the way you think," then when our Olivia gets pregnant Peter can assume it's "Henry" returned to them via soul magnets or something. Then part of Olivia feeling like a bad mom in Season 5 could have been related to her feeling like she stole Henrietta from Faux. A transdimensional, somewhat transgender baby wouldn't have been  the most outlandsih concept for this show. 

Another thing they could have done with Peter's erasure is tie it directly to the Observer-run future. Make that the first step of their plan. We saw how Peter's removal weakened the Fringe team--Olivia is back at square one with her powers, Walter's a mess, and they don't even know the Observers exist! Instead both Season 4 and 5 feel weirdly isolated and gimmicky in relation to each other and everything else. There's no explicit connection there.

I think it would have been better to just eliminate the Peterless timeline storyline altogether and continue following up on the implications of the original timeline, but even sticking with that storyline there were severe problems with the execution that negatively impacted both characterization and theme. 

Season 5 may be even worse. Nothing about the Observer-run future makes any sense. The Observers are geniuses able to figure out rationally everyone's next move...but they can't figure out the Fringe team is based in Walter's lab. This pushed suspension of disbelief too far. And just like with the flaws I mentioned in Season 4, there was an easy fix: just have Walter phase them into a pocket dimension or something so that when the Observers come looking, they can't find them. There were also too many Observers; they should have just kept the original twelve so that when one died, it mattered, and it would be more easy to believe the Fringe team posed a real threat to them. For a show that had previously had detailed and coherent worldbuilding, this was a mess. "The Day We Died" creates a more lived-in future in one hour than Season 5 did in 13 episodes. 

And then of course there's the finale, which, while moving, makes the least sense of all. How would stopping the Observers from being created help Peter and Olivia get their daughter back? If the Observers never exist, then Peter and Olivia never meet, and Henrietta is never born. 

My main problem, though, was the Observers' motivation. The writers made them completely self-serving, which went against everything we knew about them. The Observers are supposed to represent perfect logic. Their reason for invading should have been perfectly logical. And again, there was an easy fix: humans had almost destroyed the universe and others multiple times at that point! So make the Observers take over to save humanity from themselves. They now control all science, and independent research is banned. Instead of setting in the far future, just have it be couple years from now, and the Fringe team now stops rogue scientists from advancing technology past the Observer-approved limit. This could be a new team or our guys working for the Observers at the beginning of the season because they have no choice, or because they've accepted that this is what they have to do to prevent a worse future from coming to pass. Make the Observers less murder-y and more willing to use mind control to get people to do what they want. Maybe their endgame is to convert all humans into Observers so that we don't make the same stupid mistakes again; the Fringe team finds out about this early in the season, and spends the next third secretly working against the Observers, then the final stretch of episodes could be an open rebellion. Not only would this have been more interesting, it would have fit the characterization of the Observers better. 

Ugh. Sorry for the rant! I just loved this show so much, and I feel that Season 3, while flawed, is the show at its peak. Had they ended with Peter vowing to help restore the balance between the universes and the teams pledging to work together, it would have been almost perfect. But the last two seasons really left a sour taste in my mouth and are not even close to the first three as far as quality, IMO.

Edited by Fat Elvis 007
  • Love 3
(edited)

Nearly a decade late, I have finally watched every episode of Fringe. This is an accomplishment for me, since I no longer have the attention span for years-long series, and because I actively dislike Season 1. I’ve tried to watch Fringe before and never made it out of Season 1. Until now.

And I do now agree with the “It gets better!” cries. I really like certain aspects—the characters, Peter’s story…but I end the show with the lingering sense that Fringe never truly lived up to its potential. It echoed so many ideas or plots from shows like The X-Files or Charlie Jade. It even echoed its own ideas in later seasons, though it made good use of them.

Anyway, my opinions are unoriginal, and years behind, but I like ranking things, so here is my list from favorite to least, and why:

1. Season 3
    It fully invested in two universes and made them both interesting! The story finally paid off many details from earlier seasons, including Cortexiphan, the machine, the prophecy, you name it. I enjoyed that it explored Peter and Olivia/FauxLivia with more heart than soap opera. Peter vanishing in the finale cliffhanger is great, too. Also: Broyles, LSD, and a twizzler.
  2. Season 2
    Walter and Peter’s—also Olivia’s—backstories and conflicts reveal that Fringe’s strength is character, not science fiction, and the show steadily improves. The larger arcs and conspiracies with the shapeshifters and Walternate also focus it for the better. Though vague, the Observers are intriguing. The fringe-science cases are still boring.
  3. Season 4, the middle and end
    Setting aside the beginning (see below), S4 affords better purpose to the MOTWs from S1 than S1 did. Better use of David Robert Jones and William Bell, too. Peter’s yearning for his timeline, and the team getting to know each other again, didn’t strike me as a huge step down from prior seasons, and so I enjoyed S4—more than others, apparently. But Olivia, Walter, and Fringe are different, less vibrant, because of the timeline changes, and the show ultimately doesn’t recover from it here or in Season 5.
  4. Season 1
    I still don’t care for it. I especially don’t care for the cop-show clichés that abound. And the fringe cases, the monsters, are… “echoes” really is the best word. S1 didn’t inspire any investment until almost the finale. But it does an okay job of world-building, at least, and Walter is at his most eccentric and original. Thus, I rank it above S5.
  5. Season 5
    Technically, I enjoyed watching it a lot more than S1, but the storytelling was “last-gasp” in quality. Example: the scaffolding of the Betamax-tape scavenger hunt. It also felt like a double knock-back for Olivia and Peter to be estranged again, though it lead to touching moments, as always. I missed the multiverses, too. The series ends beautifully, though.
  6. Season 4, the beginning
    Stunningly anti-climactic after S3, and a massive mistake to not bring back Peter in the premiere. I guess Fringe thought it was exploring Peter’s absence, but really it was wasting episodes. And one of them was about an emotional fungus, FFS.

So, there you have it.

I don’t have a concrete list of favorite episodes, so instead I'll include an exchange that has stuck in my mind through all the marathoning. From 4x9, Enemy of My Enemy:

Walter: I-I will help you, Peter. I will help you get home. The last 25 years, I’ve spent thinking about losing my son. I thought I was an expert on loss. Maybe that’s why you’re here, because there are still things that I need to learn. What?

Peter: I just spent the last several days with the other Walter. And I was very surprised to learn that he was not the man that I thought he was. But I am not at all surprised to learn that you are. [He smiles.]

Walter: Is that a good thing?

Peter: Yes, Walter, that is a very good thing.

Four seasons into the show, it was a touching reminder of what Fringe was really about: a father and a son, both learning to be better men.

Edited by weyrbunny
  • Love 3

I could say it took you long enough, but that would trivialize your accomplishment. Congratulations! There are many that couldn't finish the trek. My own brother used to coordinate our Fringe watching sessions across the country. Unfortunately, he dropped out once they started alternating between universes. I actually enjoyed that part also. I even loved season 1. I've binged watched the whole series at least 7-10 times and I still love it. Of course the heart wrenching episodes we're when Peter and Olivia lost Etta. One of my favorite scenes was Peter reintroducing Etta to Olivia when she was shot out of the amber, "Hello, mama!" Dust gets in my eyes every single time.

I'm sure, after awhile, you'll find yourself thinking how you would like to watch your favorite episode again and then realize you're putting in season 1 and can't stop binging. Thumbs up!

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/5/2018 at 9:37 PM, weyrbunny said:

Season 5
Technically, I enjoyed watching it a lot more than S1, but the storytelling was “last-gasp” in quality. Example: the scaffolding of the Betamax-tape scavenger hunt. It also felt like a double knock-back for Olivia and Peter to be estranged again, though it lead to touching moments, as always. I missed the multiverses, too. The series ends beautifully, though.

Henrietta

Two tokens for your completist accomplishment ??

Come meet your Mum

There goes that dang dust again. Where's my feather duster?

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 2

I started re-watching after watching Anna Torv in "Secret City" (which you should also check out, BTW).  The first season got better when it started introducing more of the mythos that would carry the series throughout its run, which was why I got very intrigued about it after "Ability".

If I were to tell someone which episodes to watch to get the gist of the series, I would pick  the following from the first season .

1. The Pilot-duh!  Real freaky opening scene.  If you're squimish about that, you might as well stop there.

2. The Arrival-introduces us to the Observers, and the episode that really gives Peter a reason to stay with Team Fringe.  It also contains Walter's crucial recalling of a key event in fringe lore.

3.  Ability-the one that reveals that Olivia might be capable of abilities of some sort, and that Olivia was experimented on as a child with a drug Cortexiphan.

4 Bad Dreams-This one revealed just how damanged some people were due to Bell and Walter's experiments.  And first hinted at what Olivia could be capable of.

5. The Road Not Taken-This one features some weird sequences where Olivia starts a scene off in one place, and ends up in another. Wassupwithdat?   It's the first that really gets into the whole multi universe mythology.

6. There's More Than One Of Everything-Notable especially for the dual revealations at the end-one of which is one of the series' best visual moments.

Season Two-The first half is mainly stand-alone monster of the week stuff, with a smattering of mythology (mainly "Momentom Deferred" and "Grey Matters"). With Jacksonville, the series really, to me, started to get into another gear-which culminated in the excellent "Peter". Years later, I still remember how good that episode was.

So, if at that point,  a person is not converted, chances are they will never be.

• Love 4

That IMDb app is phenomenal and Fringe is amazing. I was a fan of Lost back in the day, even when the storylines were as convoluted and crazy. When I saw J. J. Abrams' name on this, I was intrigued. I'm still in Season One, but I've gone and looked at other sources. Snowed in for a week? Who cares. I found a new show to watch.

• Love 4

Just an update on the IMDb app - if you have Amazon Prime you can watch the shows listed on the IMDb app on your TV through the Prime app. I’ve been rewatching Warehouse 13 and the episodes show up and play. So far I haven’t even seen ads going through Prime. I haven’t tried movies yet, just Fringe & WH13. Oh, and I watched Caprica again. I slightly regret that now. My memory of it was better than reality. Lol. Anyway I’m loving the extra content available! 

• Love 2

First paragraph of the article, emphasis mine:

Rumors of a Fringe reunion had the internet in a frenzy on Thursday (August 8 ) as reports claimed that Fox confirmed a revival of the popular sitcom for 2020.

sitcom?

• Love 2

It's been years since I saw Fringe, but never seemed to get to the ending of the final season, so decided to rewatch again. And after watching all of the episodes, I came to a conclusion that for all their supposed intellect, the Observers were... well... idiots, by, during occupation, not disbanding the old Fringe team; and then acting all surprised that the members of the Resistance consists of the old Fringe division. I mean, really, Windmark? All in all, it was a good, maybe a bit rushed, conclusion to, what's in my opinion is, modern day X-Files.

• Love 2

Jasika Nicole posted a thread on Twitter about how the name joke with Astrid offended her, but she never spoke up because she felt like she was powerless about it. Apparently, producers and various directors would refuse to pronounce her name correctly or would not even try to learn her name.

Thankfully, it sounds like the cast was on her side.

• Love 2

I've been doing a rewatch over the past few months and this has been bugging the hell out of me. It annoyed me back then when the show was originally on and even more so now, especially as someone who has a very phonetic name that people (particularly white folks) refuse to get right.  And it also really sucks to hear about all the other shit she had to deal with on the show. People fucking suck.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

I've been doing a rewatch over the past few months and this has been bugging the hell out of me. It annoyed me back then when the show was originally on and even more so now, especially as someone who has a very phonetic name that people (particularly white folks) refuse to get right.  And it also really sucks to hear about all the other shit she had to deal with on the show. People fucking suck.

I thought the joke would've gone away, at the latest, by the start of Season 4 - after Peter changed the universe.

It would've been great if they had used it as an indicator of Walter's mental health - since if he was forgetting Astrid's name, that'd be a sign of "oh shit, something must be up with Walter"

The show was still very good, but if I do a rewatch, I will definitely cringe and remember Jasika's tweets when a name joke is made.

• Love 1

Fringe is next on my rewatch list and I just finished season 1.   Yes the monster of the week is a bit old and cliche but some of the episodes do lead to something and I do like the episodes that deal with Olivia and why she is so damn important to everyone.  I also love the scenes where Broyles or Nina Sharp say something like “yeah it took or department a couple years to put that together” and Olivia quips “Yeah it took me a few hours to put it together myself”.  Season 1 is hardly great tv but the second half hints at how awesome the show becomes.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Fringe is next on my rewatch list and I just finished season 1.   Yes the monster of the week is a bit old and cliche but some of the episodes do lead to something and I do like the episodes that deal with Olivia and why she is so damn important to everyone.  I also love the scenes where Broyles or Nina Sharp say something like “yeah it took or department a couple years to put that together” and Olivia quips “Yeah it took me a few hours to put it together myself”.  Season 1 is hardly great tv but the second half hints at how awesome the show becomes.  

Yeah - that last half of season 1 was good.

I liked the Monster of the Week format it had. It was fun

• Love 2

What is great about Ftinge is you can believe the writers had a method to whatever madness they came up with even back in season 1 with the “Walter and Bell did experiments on a young Olivia” which was added to in season 2 and even early in the season it began hinting Peter’s origins.  

4 hours ago, marinw said:

IMO season two is where things really get going. "Jacksonville" is a seminal episode that defines the rest of the show.

And yes “Jacksonville” is where everything comes into play that influences the rest of the “more then one of everything” That flows through the rest of the series.  

“You can’t imagine what it’s like to lose a child.” Said by Walter at the end of “Peter” and it becomes the theme of the rest of the show.

and the episode “Peter”  shows that the first crack between universes was unintended consequences of Walter kidnapping Peter and not returning him like he originally intended.  An unforgivable crime that explains everything else that comes next.

Question:  what happened to the character Meghan Marklle played one the first two episodes?   Did she just vanish or did she die while I wasn’t looking?

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, marinw said:

Wait what? MM was on Fringe?

The first two episodes of season two.  MM played Jr. FBI agent in charge of Olivia's crash and disappearance.  The first episode is made to look like she is gonna stick around for awhile and become part of the team but she is hardly in the second episode and then never appears again.  

https://youtu.be/uDGMHKEWxrE   (Sorry I couldn't figure out how to get the actual video to come up)

Just finished the last two episodes of season 2  The "Over There" episodes and they are fascinating to watch just to see how the alternate world differs and how all the alternate versions of all the main characters (Hi Charlie!!!!) are different.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

Season 3 part 1:  The birth of Walternate (one of the best nicknames for a supervillain on tv). And the great Olivia switch (which has far reaching consequences in both universes).

i really likes the “Over There” Universe and how the show dug so deeply into it.   What made each of the characters tick.   And how human each of the altfringe team actually became.   

• Love 4
On 9/4/2020 at 8:08 PM, Chaos Theory said:

Whenever I recommend Fringe to folks, I always add that they have to make it through the first 6-8 episodes of trash before it becomes the greatest show ever.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, luckyroll3 said:

Whenever I recommend Fringe to folks, I always add that they have to make it through the first 6-8 episodes of trash before it becomes the greatest show ever.  

I feel the same way about a show no one has ever heard of called “Salem”.  It lasted 3 seasons and got pretty fun but the first half of season 1 was kinda awful.

Season 4 of Fringe is a truly original plot point by removing Peter from the equation entirely and reintroducing Lincoln,   Without Peter Walter who spent three seasons learning to live again is now afraid to leave the lab and sends Astrid out on his place.   Olivia is completely self contained and lacks the compassion that was so important to her character.  It’s a fascinating look at the importance  of Peter and the hole he left behind.  Lincoln becomes a conscience in his absence to a group who look like they are working without one.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I feel the same way about a show no one has ever heard of called “Salem”.  It lasted 3 seasons and got pretty fun but the first half of season 1 was kinda awful.

I watched Salem too!  And yeah, the first half of the season was also a hot ass mess. Lol!  It definitely always takes a lot of "but no, it's soooooo good," to convince folks to give Fringe a try.

Season 5 felt a bit tacked-on to me.

Question for those of you doing a re-watch: How does the reveal at the end of season one age? Is it still as potentiality upsetting or hopeful now as it was in 2009?

3 hours ago, marinw said:

I saw the direction the show was going in Season 4, and I decided to skip Season 5. No regrets.

I only got into the show during Season 2, though I did go back and watch some Season 1 episodes. I really liked the alternate universe stories, so Season 3 is tops for me.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

I was one of those who stopped watching at that point. Don't recall if there was something else on or if I just was annoyed with MOTW nature. It wasn't until years later that I watched the entire series from the start. 

14 hours ago, Trini said:

I really liked the alternate universe stories, so Season 3 is tops for me.

I'm a big fan of these types of stories as well. 

• Love 1
On 9/6/2020 at 12:39 PM, marinw said:

On 9/6/2020 at 4:17 PM, Trini said:

I saw the direction the show was going in Season 4, and I decided to skip Season 5. No regrets.

1 hour ago, bros402 said:

I liked season 5, it was an interesting idea - not perfectly executed, but it was interesting and it was more time with a great cast.

And Season 5, while not perfect by any means, does have some of my favorite emotionally intense moments of the series.

• Love 3

Finished out the series and yes the final season is the weakest but the finale still makes cry.  And say what you will about the Astrid name thing but the scene where Walter says "Astrid is a beautiful name" gets me choked up.  Walter and Astrid have a beautiful friendship through the series and I am sorry if if the actress felt like she wasn't respected.   I also really liked the scene where Widmark tells Broyles that all the other Observers got infected with human emotions and he will never admit to being infected as well but the emotion he feels is hate.  Broyles response is "The feeling is mutual."    Walter sacrificing himself at the end always worked for me considering this all started because of a selfish act by him.  So a selfless act from him just works as an ending,  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 6
22 hours ago, auntiemel said:

And Season 5, while not perfect by any means, does have some of my favorite emotionally intense moments of the series.

Like this moment that ended S05E01

13 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

And say what you will about the Astrid name thing but the scene where Walter says "Astrid is a beautiful name" gets me choked up.  Walter and Astrid have a beautiful friendship through the series and I am sorry if if the actress felt like she wasn't respected.

That was a great scene.

John Noble and Jasika Nicole seem to have a good relationship, too - given how he apologized for his part in it (for delivering the lines, and occasionally adlibbing a name), and she said it was not his fault at all

• Love 1
On 9/6/2020 at 12:52 AM, bros402 said:

White Tulip was one of the best episodes of Fringe, if not the best episode.

And one of my favorite episodes of a tv show ever. I get emotional every time I watch it, and knowing how things are all connected just makes it more impactful. 

I remember having a bit of a hard time getting invested immediately in season one. (Maybe because I was confused-lol.) But now, a few rewatches later, I enjoy season one on the whole. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ramble said:

And one of my favorite episodes of a tv show ever. I get emotional every time I watch it, and knowing how things are all connected just makes it more impactful. 

I remember having a bit of a hard time getting invested immediately in season one. (Maybe because I was confused-lol.) But now, a few rewatches later, I enjoy season one on the whole. 

Two more great episodes of TV were in Person of Interest - The Crossing and The Devil's Share (Season 3 episodes - if you did not watch it, don't look up the episodes)

• Love 1
On 3/26/2019 at 9:40 AM, ramble said:

Just an update on the IMDb app - if you have Amazon Prime you can watch the shows listed on the IMDb app on your TV through the Prime app. I’ve been rewatching Warehouse 13 and the episodes show up and play. So far I haven’t even seen ads going through Prime. I haven’t tried movies yet, just Fringe & WH13. Oh, and I watched Caprica again. I slightly regret that now. My memory of it was better than reality. Lol. Anyway I’m loving the extra content available! 

If you have an older Samsung SmartTV, you might not be able to watch this using the SmartHub.  I just got a Roku and IMDb works on my (circa 2015) teevee now.  It's glorious - there is all kinds of stuff on that app. 

• Love 2
On 9/4/2020 at 7:08 PM, Chaos Theory said:

I also love the scenes where Broyles or Nina Sharp say something like “yeah it took or department a couple years to put that together” and Olivia quips “Yeah it took me a few hours to put it together myself”.

Olivia didn't say that, Broyles did.

I'm re-watching  the series and I watched the season 1 finale and then I watched a reaction video and noticed a weird difference.

In the reaction video it showed the scene where William Bell introduces himself to Olivia and after he says his name, he hits a bell on his desk. In my Vudu episode, that bit with the bell is cut out.

I wonder why?

(edited)

Fringe Full GalaxyCon Q&A
GalaxyCon   Jun 21, 2021

During GalaxyCon's Q&A for Fringe, John Noble “Dr. Walter Bishop”, Michael Cerveris “The Observer/September” and Seth Gabel “Lincoln Lee” talk cows, the supernatural and more!

00:00 Welcome to GalaxyCon!
22:47 Was it difficult working with a cow?
25:53 Was there ever a time you just couldn't get through a scene?
30:16 Has being on a show like Fringe increase your passion for the paranormal?
33:12 Who was your favorite person on-set?
39:37 Can anyone still do the knuckle coin pass?
42:22 Final words from our guests 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Anyone watch America's Book of Secrets on History Channel?  This new season (S4) has Lance Reddick as the host and narrator.

Watching the episode about doomsday scenarios, and he introduced a robot that was designed by ... wait for it ... Boston Dynamics. 

Bet he had to stop a second and chuckle at that random bit of career recall, mixing the show's main locale and main thorn in Fringe Division's side.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Anyone know if there's any way to go back and access the archives of the Fringe forums at TWoP? If such a thing even exists? Hubby and I are rewatching right now and I'm a weirdo who likes to go back and read what I was posting as I watched the first time to see what I thought about certain storylines and things as they happened. Any searches I've tried to do have been fruitless.

53 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

Anyone know if there's any way to go back and access the archives of the Fringe forums at TWoP? If such a thing even exists? Hubby and I are rewatching right now and I'm a weirdo who likes to go back and read what I was posting as I watched the first time to see what I thought about certain storylines and things as they happened. Any searches I've tried to do have been fruitless.

I had the same question about a different show years ago, and someone directed me to the Wayback Machine at the Web Archive:

http://web.archive.org/web/20140330002609/http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/forum/1099-fringe/

Mid-S3 in our rewatch. Does anyone else really struggle with the idea of the alternate universe thing? Hubby tells me I'm way overthinking it, LOL, but the idea that there are multiple versions of the same people in different universes, all making different life decisions both small and great, and (more importantly) some versions dying sooner than their alters in other universes, is just absolutely absurd to me. For example, AltRachel died in childbirth, as did Ella. So there is no grownup version of Ella in the alternate universe. Does our Ella never marry, never have children? Same with AltBroyles' son. He mentioned in the Candyman episode that his son will probably not live beyond age 18 because of what the Candyman did to him. So does our Christopher never marry, never have children? Are we really supposed to believe that every alternate version of every human in every universe will always meet up with the same people throughout their lives, will always form into the same couples having the same children - thus producing the same descendants - throughout all time? That idea might have worked back when people had no idea of the concept of unique individual DNA, but it just doesn't work today IMO. Anyone have a different take?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

Mid-S3 in our rewatch. Does anyone else really struggle with the idea of the alternate universe thing?

You might be overthinking it?  You're right that the way Hollywood/etc. portrays the idea of alternate universes doesn't make sense. And for TV specifically, they just use the same actors for simplicity's sake. But the concept is used in sci-fi mainly to show characters in other settings/situations and to tell "what if..." stories. It's a storytelling device.

I love alternate characters/universes! It's especially great when an actor has the range to embody a very different characterization.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Trini said:

It's especially great when an actor has the range to embody a very different characterization.

It has been a lot of fun watching Anna Torv play two characters with such distinct, yet oddly similar, personalities. I remarked to hubby last night how amazing it is that neither one of them is a caricature, they both have very real personalities.

And I still can't stand Fauxlivia. 😂

• Love 3