Type keyword(s) to search

Book Recommendations

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

One note about the LotR trilogy.  I think she would *love* them but her father is insisting on reading them *to* her and her little brother and, well, let's just say reading aloud in an entertaining manner is not his strong point.  So, I need to work to convince him to let her read them on her own!

Can you maybe convince him to download the audiobook so you can listen together if he's insisting on a communal reading? Maybe she can follow along with an actual book or read ahead so she can compare how an accomplished actor interprets the words vs. what she hears in her head?

8 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Can you maybe convince him to download the audiobook so you can listen together if he's insisting on a communal reading? Maybe she can follow along with an actual book or read ahead so she can compare how an accomplished actor interprets the words vs. what she hears in her head?

That's actually a good idea.  I may do that for our next road trip!

• Love 1

From my nephew, who was a big fantasy reader when he was younger: the Inkspell trilogy by Cornelia Funke, the Eragon books by Christopher Paolini (a quartet, maybe? though he's not as enamored of them now as he was then), Fly by Night by Florence Hardinge, Five Children and It and sequels by E. Nesbit.

2 hours ago, auntlada said:

when I was in high school, I really liked The Dragonriders of Pern series.

I will second the Dragonriders of Pern.  I still re-read those periodically.  I would start her with the trilogy of Dragonsinger, Dragonsong, and Dragondrums.  And stay far far away from the ones not written by Anne McCaffrey.  

ETA: the original Xanth books were good -- very punny -- but it got terribly out of hand after the first three or so.

I liked The Phantom Tollbooth, too.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, OtterMommy said:

That's actually a good idea.  I may do that for our next road trip!

There's actually a really good audio drama of LOTR done by the BBC in 1982. The highest-profile actors nowdays are Ian Holm and Bill Nighy as Frodo and Sam. It leaves out Tom Bombadil, but I suppose that's for the best.

11 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

Hey all...I'm looking for some book recommendations for my daughter.  She's in 5th grade (11 in a few weeks) but she reads at an upper high school level (or as high as her testing will indicate).  One of her goals is to read more "challenging" books but we're having trouble finding ones that are challenging and appropriate.  She's not at all into romance and doesn't want anything "girly"...and she's only 11 so YA romances are out.  She does enjoy fantasy novels and mysteries and has read all of Rick Riordan's books already and, of course, the entire HP series (multiple times).  At her age I had completely different interests and I'm still not a huge fan of fantasy, so I'm not much help here.  Hence, I'm turning to all of you...any suggestions?

Has anyone suggested Diana Wynne Jones books? She's the perfect age to start reading them. 

• Love 1

Other good fantasy writers,

Frank Herbert (Dune-well the first 3 books, though some by his son, Brian are ok); 

Raymond Fiest (start with Magician and include the Daughter of the Empire trilogy with Jamie Wurst)

Mercedes Lackey (start with Arrows of the Queen)

David Eddings (start with Pawn of Prophecy-kind of LOTR light, but still pretty good)

• Like 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, auntlada said:

I second Lord of the Rings and Narnia. I haven't read them in a long time, but when I was in high school, I really liked The Dragonriders of Pern series.

I was going to suggest McCaffrey's Harper Hall series since the protagonist is a 15yo girl and there is no adult content as far as I can remember.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, auntlada said:

Oh, also The Dark Is Rising series by Susan Cooper.

Excellent series, and yes, avoid the movie like the coronovirus.

11 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

What about the Sally Lockhart books by Phillip Pullman? They're mystery but good!

I think a there are one or two fairly explicit sex scenes (Pullman took a lot of heat for those), so know your kid.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I think a there are one or two fairly explicit sex scenes (Pullman took a lot of heat for those), so know your kid.

Oh, I think you're right that there's one in the second book and then maybe one in the 4th. I guess I don't remember them being that explicit, but I haven't read the books since I was 12 or 13. So yes, preview them first if you have concerns! 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Constant Viewer said:

I've been meaning to read some things by him. I loved the Fionavar Tapestry.

The most recent book of his that I read was "Lord of Emperors", set in a pseudo-Byzantine empire (the second of two books in that series).  There is a LONG passage about a chariot race, and at the end of it, I was bawling.  Who else can write about a chariot race and bring you to tears?

• Love 1

Anybody who wants to read something weighty and educational, give The Silk Roads: A New History of the World by Peter Frankopan a look:

61AEPrA1LPL.jpg

He abandons the Euro-centric history of the world that most of us are taught and focuses on the areas of Asia traditionally thought of as being the old silk road routes linking the 'civilised' worlds of China and Europe.

Learning about Persian history, the rise of Christianity in the Middle East and its clashes with Zoroastrianism then Islam, the empires and nations that rose in areas we usually ignore unless things explode there, is really satisfying.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2

I read that!  It's fascinating.  I liked how he divided the book into "the road to [a particular concept or factor] and explored how that influenced the history of Asia (and the world) rather than just reciting a list of events.  The flow of knowledge, wealth, disease, religion, etc from east to west and back again... really interesting stuff.

I didn't think the last part of the book dealing with 20th c colonialism and petro-politics would interest me so I left it for many months.  Then when I had nothing else to read I picked it up again and realized my mistake.  It was an insightful take on more recent history.

Edited by Haleth
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I am looking for a book that can be considered a true mystery that was written within the last ten years.  I am having a tough time finding a book (or movie) that is a true mystery.

What I mean is:

• We meet the culprit within the first two chapters, and it is not someone introduced at the halfway mark.
  • Most of the suspects make sense, but the definite culprit must make sense.
  • Therefore, the clues need to make sense, and we can't find out important information in the last chapter.
  • Does not have to be murder, but I am open to it.
  • All genres are welcome.
  • I know this is subjective, but it is well-written, meaning creative, and captures your attention.

I know we all have different opinions, but some suggestions for this would be appreciated.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I am looking for a book that can be considered a true mystery that was written within the last ten years.  I am having a tough time finding a book (or movie) that is a true mystery.

What I mean is:

• We meet the culprit within the first two chapters, and it is not someone introduced at the halfway mark.
  • Most of the suspects make sense, but the definite culprit must make sense.
  • Therefore, the clues need to make sense, and we can't find out important information in the last chapter.
  • Does not have to be murder, but I am open to it.
  • All genres are welcome.
  • I know this is subjective, but it is well-written, meaning creative, and captures your attention.

I know we all have different opinions, but some suggestions for this would be appreciated.

Here's five traditional mysteries I really enjoyed, that meet all your criteria:

• The Lavender House - Lev AC Rosen
  • Moonflower Murders - Anthony Horowitz
  • The Witch Elm - Tana French
  • Glass Houses - Louise Penny
  • The Lost Man - Jane Harper
Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

Here's five traditional mysteries I really enjoyed, that meet all your criteria:

• The Lavender House - Lev AC Rosen
  • Moonflower Murders - Anthony Horowitz
  • The Witch Elm - Tana French
  • Glass Houses - Louise Penny
  • The Lost Man - Jane Harper

Thank you!

• Like 1

Jon Meacham's And There Was Light is more than a biography of Lincoln, it's like a biography of the America in which he lived. Without giving a book report, I'll say that I thought I knew a lot of the history, but I'm discovering there was a lot I didn't know, that's making me go "oh f**k."

He doesn't compare events to what we're going through today, but his intention is definitely to lead the reader to compare them. I've never been one to say about today's events that "we're headed for civil war," but reading the book, I'm questioning my confidence about that.

• Like 2
On 2/6/2020 at 3:58 PM, OtterMommy said:

I believe she's more fantasy than sci-fi, but I will check with her!

Bit late to the party, but if you can find any of Patricia McKillip's books, I'd suggest them.  There is occasionally some romantic elements but not a lot, and the stories and characters tend to be very involving.  The themes also are a little deeper than a lot of fantasy novels but there generally isn't a lot of violence or gore.

I made a New Year's resolution to read at least two books that each have a setting in each U.S. state plus Washington, D.C. (so 102 books minimum). I want to read one fiction and one non-fiction book for each.  I know I can find some recommendations online at various sites, but I wanted to check with all of you fellow readers for your recommendations.

I know it will narrow the choices a little, but I'm partial to mysteries for fiction and true crime or biographies/autobiographies for the non-fiction. 

• Like 3
On 1/14/2024 at 7:10 AM, BooksRule said:

I made a New Year's resolution to read at least two books that each have a setting in each U.S. state plus Washington, D.C. (so 102 books minimum). I want to read one fiction and one non-fiction book for each.  I know I can find some recommendations online at various sites, but I wanted to check with all of you fellow readers for your recommendations.

I know it will narrow the choices a little, but I'm partial to mysteries for fiction and true crime or biographies/autobiographies for the non-fiction. 

For Oregon non-fiction: I admit I haven't read this book, but it is staring at my from my TBR bookshelf and it has good reviews.  It's called Astoria: John Jacob Astor and Thomas Jefferson's Lost Pacific Empire: A Story of Wealth, Ambition, and Survival by Peter Stark.  (Not surprisingly, it's about the coastal town of Astoria BEFORE it became famous for the Goonies!)

If you let me know what kind of fiction you like to read, I can give you some Oregon recs for that.

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

For Oregon non-fiction: I admit I haven't read this book, but it is staring at my from my TBR bookshelf and it has good reviews.  It's called Astoria: John Jacob Astor and Thomas Jefferson's Lost Pacific Empire: A Story of Wealth, Ambition, and Survival by Peter Stark.  (Not surprisingly, it's about the coastal town of Astoria BEFORE it became famous for the Goonies!)

If you let me know what kind of fiction you like to read, I can give you some Oregon recs for that.

Thanks!  I'll look for the Astoria book.  As for fiction, I like mysteries (cozy mysteries or those with some humor ('Cat who...' mysteries, Janet Evanovich). or those where the main characters has an interesting job (and gets mixed up in murder and mystery) such as the Anna Pigeon mysteries by Nevada Barr.  And 'medical fiction' (Robin Cook, Patricia Cornwell, Michael Palmer, etc.). Adult situations are fine, but I'm not a huge fan of most detective, police fiction or courtroom books (with the exception of Tess Gerritsen).  I also like historical fiction if it's the 'epic' type such as 'Lonesome Dove'. I like the ones that span generations.

For fiction, Sharyn McCrumb sets most (if not all) of her books in Virginia -- an often overlooked part.  A couple of Barbara Kingsolver's are set in Virginia, and one in Kentucky, I think.  

5 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Thanks!  I'll look for the Astoria book.  As for fiction, I like mysteries (cozy mysteries or those with some humor ('Cat who...' mysteries, Janet Evanovich). or those where the main characters has an interesting job (and gets mixed up in murder and mystery) such as the Anna Pigeon mysteries by Nevada Barr.  And 'medical fiction' (Robin Cook, Patricia Cornwell, Michael Palmer, etc.). Adult situations are fine, but I'm not a huge fan of most detective, police fiction or courtroom books (with the exception of Tess Gerritsen).  I also like historical fiction if it's the 'epic' type such as 'Lonesome Dove'. I like the ones that span generations.

Hmm, I was going to say Philip Margolin, but it doesn't sound like he would be your cup of tea.

If you are okay with gritty, but not procedural books, I would highly recommend Rene Denfeld.  She does have a fantasy (I think) book out, but the two I would recommend are The Child Finder and The Butterfly Girl.  These are actually in a series/duology, so I would start with The Child Finder.  Warning, though...there are some tough topics in it (big trigger warnings for child sexual abuse, child exploitation, kidnapping, etc).

There is a cozy author named Emmeline Duncan.  I haven't read any of her books, but her series is the Ground Rules series and the first book is Fresh Brewed Murder (yes, they are coffee house themed).

A historical fiction that I have sitting on my TBR is The Hearts of Horses by Molly Gloss.  This is set in Eastern Oregon, so it is very much NOT Portland!

Finally, this one may not be your cup of tea, but it is my absolute favorite book so I'm throwing it out anyway: Mink River by Brian Doyle.  This is about a community on the Oregon Coast.  The date is never given, but it is pretty clear from the context that it is set in the late 70s/early 80s when the lumber industry was declining, but before the tourism industry has seeped out from the few "bigger" towns on the coast.  The writing is lyrical and poetic, it has a colorful cast of characters, and a good dose of magical realism.  Again, it isn't for everyone, but I absolutely love it!

• Useful 1