Type keyword(s) to search

Book Recommendations

• Start Topic

Has she read the Little House books?  She's probably way above the first few, but she could zoom through them quickly and get to the ones where Laura is a bit older. 

There are some non-fantasy/sci-fi L'Engle books (Meet the Austins, The Moon By Night, etc.) that might catch her fancy.  I also liked The Island of the Blue Dolphin at about that age.  Harriet the Spy and The Phantom Tollbooth might be options as well.  I was into Judy Blume, Paul Zindel and those sorts way back when, too. 

She might be a little young for these, depending on maturity, but YA books by Sarah Dessen are well written and have some depth to them. The characters are usually 16-18, so some of the subjects could be a bit old for her. I would likely let my daughter read them when she's 12, but just wanted to give you a heads up to make that decision. My personal favorite is The Truth About Forever.

Has she read Little Women? Or the Sally Lockhart books, I think by Pullman? They're mysteries, but I think of them more as historian fiction rather than a typical mystery story. Gosh, it's hard to think of things I read that didn't fall into genres she's not fond of!

Or what about the Anne or Emily series by L M Montgomery? I love those even as an adult!

If she likes Little Women, she might also like Louisa May Alcott's other books, An Old Fashioned Girl and Eight Cousins and its sequel, Rose in Bloom. The last one has some sadness, although nothing like

Spoiler

Beth dying in Little Women,

and it does have a happy ending.

To tag onto Hanahope's request, I'm looking for recommendations for my ~13 year old godson. He's a very advanced reader and likes series (so he has more to read) but, unfortunately, that's all I know (I keep asking for feedback but apparently he likes everything I've sent). Since I want to read the books first, I'm looking for fantasy/sci-fi, non-dystopian, with some diversity (I'm trying to read more women and minority focused books (and I want godson to get exposure outside of what's normally assigned in his school)).

Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, akg said:

To tag onto Hanahope's request, I'm looking for recommendations for my ~13 year old godson

If he's an advanced reader, and 13, he might just be at the right age to tackle The Lord of the Rings for the first time. That's how old I was (and down with a case of the chicken pox) when my Dad thunked the three great big volumes on to my bed, saying "there, that should keep you going for a bit". I've been grateful ever since.

Outside of sci-fi/fantasy, why not try him on some of the classic mystery novelists? - not series, really, but if he decides he likes somebody like Agatha Christie, then he's got a world of reading to indulge in. 

On 29/03/2017 at 8:58 PM, Hanahope said:

Ok, I need to find some book(s) for my 12 year old.  I love mysteries, science fiction and fantasy, so my bookcases are full of those kinds of book, but my oldest daughter doesn't like any of those genres.  She also doesn't like "depressing" books (so I'm not entirely sure whether she'll like The Thorn Birds - the book every girl in my 8th grade read - but I gave her my copy anyway).

Anyone have a suggestion for a book or two that is something else a 12 year old might like?

Fortunately, my younger daughter (age 9) does like fantasy, so she's now reading through my Piers Anthony collection.

Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan trilogy is a nice series. For the 12 year old more than the 9 year old, perhaps. It is fantasy, but only in terms of being a steampunk/biopunk-style reinvention of the First World War. The main characters are a teenage girl who masquerades as a boy to fulfil her dream of becoming an airman, and the young heir to a noble family, who is on the run after his family have been killed. I'd say it's fairly optimistic, and there's a bit of a love story in there, if she enjoys that sort of thing.

Brandon Sanderson is a good choice I think for young adult fantasy fans.  I especially like his Reckoners series 1) Steelheart 2) Firefight 3) Calamity

School Library Journal

Gr 8 Up—This fun, fast-paced, futuristic science-fiction superhero story is the first in a projected series. When David was six, an unexplained explosion in the sky caused perpetual darkness and ordinary people to gain supernatural powers. These people became known as Epics. Two years later, in a bank in what was once Chicago, now called Newcago, David witnessed Steelheart, one of the most powerful Epics of all, murder his father. In the 10 years since his father's death, David has made it his mission to learn all he can about Epics. Everyone thinks they are invincible, but he knows otherwise. He knows that each one has a weakness, and he's seen Steelheart's. Steelheart can bleed. David intends to get his revenge. A cowed populace accepts the fact that Epics control their lives and the strongest among them are in a constant battle for dominance. Only one shadowy group of ordinary humans called the Reckoners dare fight to eliminate them. David persuades the Reckoners to let him join their ranks after proving he has unique knowledge about Epics. This enjoyable read focuses more on action than character development and is perfect for genre fans who love exciting adventure stories with surprising plot twists. Readers will be rooting for David, a super geek with a love of weapons, who can hold his own against Epics with names like Nightwielder, Conflux, or Firefight.—Sharon Rawlins, New Jersey State Library,Trenton

Cinda Williams Chima also has several good young adult series.  My favorite is the Seven Realms series which starts with The Demon King.

School Library Journal

Gr 7 Up—Han Alister was once a street thief and gang leader, nicknamed Cuffs for the magical silver cuffs he's worn for as long as he can remember. Now that he's reformed, he can't seem to escape from his past, and he spends much of his time hunting in the mountains with his clan friends. When he and his friend Fire Dancer meet a group of young wizards, Han comes into possession of a magical amulet linked to the legendary Demon King, not knowing that it will bring danger to him and his family. Meanwhile, Princess Raisa is soon to turn 16 and be named heir to her mother's throne. She becomes aware of intrigues that surround the queen, who seems to be strongly influenced by their country's High Wizard. Han's and Raisa's adventures and journeys toward understanding themselves run parallel throughout the book, intersecting only when the princess dresses up as a commoner and meets Han briefly. The conclusion leaves both Raisa and Han setting out on new adventures toward a common destination, leaving much to be resolved in their futures and in the future of their land. Chima shows a sure hand with details and history, and readers will be drawn into the lives of the two protagonists. Fans of magic, danger, and high fantasy will find a complex and involving world and be left waiting for the next volume in this exciting trilogy.—Beth L. Meister, Milwaukee Jewish Day School, WI

On 3/29/2017 at 3:58 PM, Hanahope said:

Ok, I need to find some book(s) for my 12 year old.  I love mysteries, science fiction and fantasy, so my bookcases are full of those kinds of book, but my oldest daughter doesn't like any of those genres.  She also doesn't like "depressing" books (so I'm not entirely sure whether she'll like The Thorn Birds - the book every girl in my 8th grade read - but I gave her my copy anyway).

I haven't read this one, but I have read two others by the same author (which may have too much mystery for her, if I am remembering them correctly, which I may not be!): http://www.rebeccasteadbooks.com/goodbyestranger.html

akg, since your godson is an advanced reader and you will be pre-screening the books *thumbs up*, I would recommend Anne Bishop's "The Others" series beginning with Written In Red.  It's a five-book series and the fifth book of the series just came out.  Bishop's writing is not for the faint of heart but I love this series.

Thanks, everyone. I have added some titles to my list.

5 hours ago, RealityCheck said:

you will be pre-screening the books *thumbs up*

I really enjoy having an excuse to read some things that wouldn't normally end up in my library pile but I also want to avoid freaking him or his parents out.

Hanahope, would your daughter be interested in comic books? I love the Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, the new Ms. Marvel, and Patsy Walker a.k.a. Hellcat and they'd be appropriate for a 12 year old. Ooh, also Lumberjanes!

Obviously I think too much ;).

Hanahope, mysteries as a genre encompasses such a broad spectrum: cozy (amateur sleuth), police procedurals, medical (e.g. Temperance Brennan), hard-boiled (e.g. Mickey Spillane), British, and more.  There is a series of mystery books that fall outside the typical genre and might be of interest for your daughter.  Isaac Asimov is famous for his science fiction but he wrote mysteries as well.  The books I am recommending are his Black Widow series.  Unfortunately, they are out of print but the books may be available at your library.

Another fantasy recommendation I have is David Weber's "War God" series beginning with Oath of Swords.  I just love the senses of humor Weber gave to his characters.  Weber is better known for his military science fiction, the Honor Harrington series and Empire of Man series, both of which I highly recommend if you enjoy that sub-genre.

Has anybody read All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda? If you have, what do you think of it? I can't decide if I want to give it a try or not.

38 minutes ago, GaT said:

Has anybody read All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda? If you have, what do you think of it? I can't decide if I want to give it a try or not.

I had it downloaded on my iPad from the library, read the first chapter and decided I wanted to read something else. 

56 minutes ago, partofme said:

I had it downloaded on my iPad from the library, read the first chapter and decided I wanted to read something else. 

Hmm, so I'm guessing that's a "not recommended" from you? LOL

(edited)

Hanahope, I would highly recommend YA Historical fiction like "The Luxe" (Amazon: "Gossip Girl meets the Gilded Age") and "Bright Young Things" (1920s NYC flappers) by Anna Godbersen as well as "The Divas" (1920s series set on Long Island) by Jillian Larkin.

Also the two-book series by Ann M. Martin  and Paula Danziger (P.S. Longer Letter Later and Snail Mail No More) novels in letters and emails between two best friends when one moves away, (Warning: there are some serious topics discussed here and there in the books, alcoholic father, parents separating etc., but ultimately are uplifting, with many great moments of friendship between the two girls.

Enough can't be said about all of Danziger's books, love them and re-read them all the time, Can You Sue Your Parents for Malpractice?, The Cat Ate My Gymsuit and follow-up There's a Bat in Bunk Five, and This Place Has No Atmosphere (set future where teenage girl moves to the moon with her family) are my faves.

Cynthia Voigt is also really good, esp the Tillerman cycle, which starts with Homecoming and Dicey's Song...

Will echo suggestions for non-sci-fi fiction by Madeleine L'Engle, love the Austin books as well as And Both Were Young. Same with Little Women and Little Men etc.

I also really liked The Future of Us, where a high school girl in the mid-90s can see her (and her friends') future Facebook pages via an America Online disk (remember those???) she receives in the mail. She tries to change the future based on the info she discovers about the future.

Edited by Chummy
Added info

Also books by Caroline B. Cooney (esp The Face on the Milk Carton series) and her Time Travelers series (more like historical fiction than anything else...)

The Orphan Train series by Joan Lowery Nixon, about siblings sent West from NYC on the actual orphan trains.

The Mother-Daughter Book Club is fantastic and sounds like what you might be looking for (about a group of girls and their moms who form a book club (they even read some of the books mentioned here and might inspire your daughter to read other books.

Leaving Fishers by Margaret Peterson Haddix, about a girl who joins a cult also good.

And growing up, I loved The Great Brain books, about a smart older brother who cons kids and adults in 1890s/1900s Utah, narrated by his younger brother, believe they just got a re-release.

Counterfeit Son by Elaine Marie Alphin, about a boy who pretends to be the rescued long-ago kidnapped son of a family eager for their son to be alive. 

Hanahope I'm sure I might be going on too much and hope I haven't overwhelmed, but I work in publishing and love books, so couldn't help myself...

• Love 1
On 7/13/2017 at 8:00 PM, GaT said:

I had to check my Kindle app because I wasn't sure if I had actually read it or was going to. Turns out I read it and more or less forgot about it. I didn't hate it but was pretty much meh on it. 

• Love 1

One of my new favourite books this summer is called Red Notice. Based on a real story, the protagonist started his career at a Wall Street banker and later decided to invest in Russia where he made his money. Along the way, he exposes certain corruption in Russia which led to him and his colleagues escaping the country for their lives. One of his friends wasn't so lucky and ended up in jail and tortured to death. This is a story of high finance, murder and later becoming an activist to overcome the corruption in Russia. Definitely one of my new favourite thrillers 

I bought the book in store but if you ever want to read it, it's actually cheaper online. Amazon has a pretty good deal - Red Notice

Is anybody familiar with the In Death series by J.D. Robb? I just heard about it & I can't decide if it's for me or not.

Pros:

1. The main character is a NYC police Lieutenant (actually "New York City Police and Security Department") in the year 2058 (I don't know if all the books take place then, or if that's just the first year) so it's got a definite science fiction vibe to it.
  2. I like mysteries, & this is all about solving crimes
  3. There're 44 books in the series & more are being written.

Cons:

1. This series is considered "romantic suspense". I read some paranormal romance novels, but I never read straight romance novels & J.D. Robb is the pseudonym for Nora Roberts who is a big romance writer.
  2. I like mysteries, but I like British mysteries, I don't usually enjoy US detectives for some reason.
  3. I'm not a huge science fiction reader.

I'm hoping a bunch of people have read this series & tell me how they like them.

• Love 1

I LOVE the JD Robb series.  It is the only stuff Roberts writes that I will actually read.  Very different from her straight romance or even her stand alone romance suspense stuff she writes. 

1. She's been writing the series since 1995 but in book years only about four years have elapsed. 

2. These are heavily romance but they are also very much hybrids -- some are written like police procedurals, some are written like cozies, some are written like crime thrillers and some are written like rom suspense.

3. They take place in a future NYC so there are some tech things that are very sci-fi -- like Auto-chefs (these machines that will assemble and fully cook a meal from scratch) and cars can go vertical , i.e. fly.  But like I said since she started writing these in 1995 some o the stuff she imagined has come to pass, mostly you can see her vision of communicators , i.e. cell phones with video/face time,  has come into being.  And there is actual off planet stuff.  Like for instance, the most max prison is on the moon, I think.  And Mars is a vacation resort.  But most stuff takes place right in NYC which is another character.  Also we've depleted a lot of natural resources so things like coffee, real sugar, real meat are hideously expensive and pretty much only available to the very rich.

4. A 44-and-counting series means not all the books are evenly matched.  Some are balls out great,  some are so-so, one or two are just awful.  But she switches stuff up.  Sometimes you know who did it and it is up to Eve & co. to prove it.  Sometimes it is written like a real whodunnit and it leaves you guessing.  Sometimes you get a lot of the killer's POV, sometimes you get absolutely none.  Some books are homages to famous stories like Witness for the Prosecution or The Bad Seed or Strangers on a Train or Natural Born Killers and sometimes there is more than a little nod to James Bond, one of my favorite books in the series deals with clones & sexual trafficking.

5. A 44-and-counting series also means that she has the room to really breath a lot of character development and deep backstory in the core crew of main characters.  Probably my favorite thing about the series is the progression of Eve who starts out this really isolated loner who lives and breathes being a cop and nothing else matters to her, but as the series moves along  she starts slowly collecting this group of people who slowly make her realize she can also be other things like a friend, a mentor and a wife.

6. The books start out very grimdark, but lighten up as they go on and we get a fair amount of humor --  real LOL humor and gallows humor. But Eve had a very traumatic childhood and that in a through-line in the entire series.

7. Roarke (only one name) her husband has got to be the most wish fulfillment characters ever written.  I can't lie, if I had to name a list of book boyfriends, Roarke would be in the top five.

8. My biggest complaint over the entire series is that Eve is a serial killer magnet.  She doesn't just work on case -- it is usually is a serial killer case.  I have been railing about why she can't just have a regular killer once and awhile?  How many serial killers can one cop investigate in a four year period?

I totally recommend at least trying the first one.  Gives you a great feel for Eve and Roarke and the NYC of 2058.

Also the audiobooks are really good, very well performed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 7/13/2017 at 7:00 PM, GaT said:

I'm sorry for not responding sooner.  Did you read it?  I listened to it in audio form while I commuted.  It told the story backwards which both worked and didn't work.  It was a gripping for a long time but then it started becoming less so as we got closer to getting answers to the mysteries. So by the end my reaction was pretty much huh, okay.  That said, there are people who absolutely love this book.  I think it really depends on what you hope to get out of it.  I could legitimately argue that the format might be worth reading for some readers but not for others.  However, I find I'm a picky reader when it comes to suspense and it's all on me. I think I put impossible standards on a book where I'd like to have the revelation of 'who did it' to be both surprising and well supported by what is presented in the book but the reasons for the 'who dun it' should be refreshing and not too tropey.  So even if the journey is otherwise enjoyable, the ending can, and almost always does, knock a book down a peg or two in my eyes. So I feel for the books and authors I read because it's hard to please me even though I love the genre.  And that's why this book is only okay in my eyes.  The ending didn't even come close to living up to my impossible standards. 

• Love 2
On 8/2/2017 at 5:36 AM, Irlandesa said:

I think I put impossible standards on a book where I'd like to have the revelation of 'who did it' to be both surprising and well supported by what is presented in the book but the reasons for the 'who dun it' should be refreshing and not too tropey. 

You should read The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, if you haven't already.

can anyone recommend a very good book on essential oils, their uses, their toxicity to people and animals, etc.? something recent, by someone who has credentials for this sort of thing. am finding too much conflicting information on the internet.

5 hours ago, msrachelj said:

can anyone recommend a very good book on essential oils, their uses, their toxicity to people and animals, etc.? something recent, by someone who has credentials for this sort of thing. am finding too much conflicting information on the internet.

Are you thinking aromatherapy or ingesting the oils?

10 hours ago, msrachelj said:

anyone? any suggestions on where i can look for reliable info?

Sorry.  I was going to respond earlier but it slipped my mind.  I don't necessarily have a title I feel like I can just whip out but there are a few titles that look decent available on Amazon.

Clinical Aromatherapy:  Essential Oils in Healthcare.  It's a bit old but it's written by a nurse who has a PhD from Columbia. 

Essential Oil Safety: A Guide for Healthcare Professionals 

Aromatherapy for Health Professionals  This is also written by British nurses.

If you're curious about any of these, you can go to your local public library and ask them if they can get the title through interlibrary loan if they don't have something available.  This will let you know if these books are on the right level before purchasing.  I like these titles because although the evidence about the effectiveness of aromatherapy/essential oils is sparse and inconclusive, it looks like the authors do talk about what's out there.  And even if the evidence about effectiveness is iffy, it likely won't hurt to try as long as they're used safely.

Edited by Irlandesa
On 4/4/2017 at 0:46 PM, akg said:

I'm looking for recommendations for my ~13 year old godson

Dark Life by Kat Falls has at least one sequel.  It centers on an underwater community where the kids seem to be developing special powers due to the constant pressure of the water on their brains.  The Unwind series by Neal Shusterman is a dystopian fiction where the government has passed a law that problem teens may be "unwound" and their bodies used to repair other people's bodies.  I'm not explaining it well, but it's a crazy premise that kept me riveted for four books.  The Monument 14 series by Emmy Laybourne was very cool--when their schoolbus drives through the front windows of a department store, the kids on board must figure out how to survive in a world where airborne toxins have very specific effects on people, I think according to their blood type.  (It's been a while since I read this series.)  The Quarantine series by Lex Thomas is geared toward high schoolers; it's pretty R-rated.  Part of a high school is destroyed by a bomb, and a huge tent seals everyone in.  The teachers all die in horrible convulsions, and the kids are informed that they have been infected by a virus that kills adults, but that they will grow out of once they've completed puberty.  The entire school population devolves into cliques, and the struggle for resources begins.  I really liked The Last Princess by Galaxy Craze, but have not yet read the sequel.  I also really liked the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld.

1 hour ago, greekmom said:

Hi Gang. Going on a vaykay soon and wanted to take a few chick lit books. I tried reading the Outlander series and I prefer the tv show so that one is out.

Any good recommendations? 

Thanks

Do you want historical or contemporary?  (I generally think of "chick lit" to be contemporary, but you mentioned Outlander, so I wasn't sure).

I generally don't use the term "chick lit" because I think that it is too vague and has been usurped by "New Adult" fiction (another term I don't like), but I can think of a number of authors or books to check out.

Have you read anything by Jennifer Weiner?  If not, I would recommend any of her books, but especially Good in Bed or In Her Shoes (those are her first 2 novels).  If you want more of a "love story," Who Do You Love is also good.   If you want something darker, Amy Hatvany's books always make me cry...seriously.  If you want to veer a bit into the "romance" territory, I adore Sonali Dev's books--there are currently only 3 (the 4th comes out in a few months), so you can read her entire catalog pretty quickly.  Her books are A Bollywood AffairThe Bollywood Bride, and A Change of Heart.  They are sort of in a series, but A Bollywood Affair (which is the "lightest" and probably my favorite) really is a standalone.  There is more of a tie in between The Bollywood Bride and A Change of Heart, so if you choose to read those 2, I would definitely read them in order.

Another author that I haven't read in ages, but enjoyed when I did read her books was Marian Keyes.  She's an Irish writer and her books are quite fun.

If you want something historical, Hazel Gaynor's books are sweet and good for vacation reading.  They are set in England, generally at the turn of the century.  I haven't read all of hers, but I've enjoyed the ones that I've read.  Currently, I'm reading The Last Christmas in Paris, which she co-wrote with another author and is set during World War I.

I hope that helps.  If you have something more specific in mind, I might have some more suggestions for you.

• Love 1

Huh.  I would've never thought of considering a historical fiction/romance like Outlander as a chick-lit.

My personal definition has always been that chick-lit is a very modern take on the romantic ups & downs (sometimes comic, sometimes tragic) of women in their mid-to-late twenties.  Not as rigidly defined as a romance novel, a bit freer, but still ends with a relationship of sorts.

I like Jill Mansell  when I want to read something light -  she falls definitely on the fluffier side.  Very British rom-com.   She has a huge back list and some are better than others.  I especially liked: Don't Want to Miss a Thing, and You And Me Always.

Dorothy Koomson is another one I like but hers are a bit heavier.  I liked The Chocolate Run.  If you want a real tearjerker, read Goodnight Beautiful.  Excellently written but man, will it make you mad/sad/happy.

If you want something a little closer to romance Lucy Parker's series that is set in the London Theatre World is great, Act Like It and Pretty Face.

Leslie Dubois has this clever, funny novel called Natural Beauty about an African American woman who uses her different hairstyles as a metaphor for her changing dating life.

• Love 1

Okay folks, I need some help.  Last year, my family started celebrating the Jolobokaflod tradition.  If you don't know what that is, it is this:

Jolabokaflod.jpg.9b3b259f287498bea4e2a53e77569af1.jpg

Last year, I think I did pretty well with my choices for family, but I'm a little stymied this year for my father-in-law and brother-in-law.

For my father-in-law: Last year, I got him Redshirts by John Scalzi...which he freaking loved.  I'd like something similar (although maybe by a different author, just for variety) for him this year.  I'd really like something amusing/funny as he tends to be a bit melancholy.  However, I don't normally read books like that, so I'm not sure what a good read-alike would be.

For my brother-in-law, he's not a big reader, but he will read a book that I give him.  He's into video gaming and (watching) sports.  Yes, I know Ready Player One would be a great choice, but I think I've lent him our copy (which I still haven't read).  I'm pretty sure that my husband gave him his copy of Armada, so that one is out, too.  For him, I think that a graphic novel might also work, but I'm really out of it when it comes to that genre.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

Last year, I think I did pretty well with my choices for family, but I'm a little stymied this year for my father-in-law and brother-in-law.

For my father-in-law: Last year, I got him Redshirts by John Scalzi...which he freaking loved.  I'd like something similar (although maybe by a different author, just for variety) for him this year.  I'd really like something amusing/funny as he tends to be a bit melancholy.  However, I don't normally read books like that, so I'm not sure what a good read-alike would be.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!

I love the Scalzi books so maybe our taste is similar.  Not SF but your FIL might like The Jesus Cow by Michael Perry -- the book was a nice mixture of serious and funny, realistic characters in an unusual situation, smartly written.   

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

I love the Scalzi books so maybe our taste is similar.  Not SF but your FIL might like The Jesus Cow by Michael Perry -- the book was a nice mixture of serious and funny, realistic characters in an unusual situation, smartly written.   

I will definitely check that one out!  Thanks!

I thought someone might be interested in a reading challenge that our school librarian recently issued. It's primarily aimed at students, but teachers were invited to take part also. I've already begun. I happened to be reading Sing, Unburied, Sing already for the first category. The librarian also recommended Trevor Noah's Born a Crime for "Memoir or Biography." I downloaded The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit for the "Book set in the decade you were born." I looked over lists of movies for "Book becoming a movie in 2018" and spotted Ready Player One, which I started a couple of years ago but quit when I realized I wasn't enjoying it. So does anyone have suggestions for these categories? I realize some are very broad and you all have no idea what I've already read, but I'd be curious to know your particular favorites.

A BOOK THAT WAS A NATIONAL BOOK AWARD FINALIST IN 2017  

A BOOK WITH AN LGBTQ PROTAGONIST

A BOOK WITH MULTIPLE AUTHORS 

A BOOK ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH

A BOOK SET IN THE DECADE YOU WERE BORN

A BOOK ABOUT A PROBLEM FACING SOCIETY TODAY

A BOOK ABOUT A TRUE CRIME OR WAR

A BOOK BECOMING A MOVIE IN 2018

A CLASSIC

THE FIRST BOOK IN A NEW-TO-YOU SERIES

A MEMOIR OR BIOGRAPHY

A MANGA, MARVEL, OR DC BOOK

A BOOK WITH A PROTAGONIST THAT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE YOU

A COLLECTION OF ESSAYS, POETRY, OR SHORT STORIES

A FANTASY, DYSTOPIA, OR SCIENCE FICTION BOOK

• Love 1
7 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I thought someone might be interested in a reading challenge that our school librarian recently issued. It's primarily aimed at students, but teachers were invited to take part also. I've already begun. I happened to be reading Sing, Unburied, Sing already for the first category. The librarian also recommended Trevor Noah's Born a Crime for "Memoir or Biography." I downloaded The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit for the "Book set in the decade you were born." I looked over lists of movies for "Book becoming a movie in 2018" and spotted Ready Player One, which I started a couple of years ago but quit when I realized I wasn't enjoying it. So does anyone have suggestions for these categories? I realize some are very broad and you all have no idea what I've already read, but I'd be curious to know your particular favorites.

A BOOK THAT WAS A NATIONAL BOOK AWARD FINALIST IN 2017  

A BOOK WITH AN LGBTQ PROTAGONIST

A BOOK WITH MULTIPLE AUTHORS 

A BOOK ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH

A BOOK SET IN THE DECADE YOU WERE BORN

A BOOK ABOUT A PROBLEM FACING SOCIETY TODAY

A BOOK ABOUT A TRUE CRIME OR WAR

A BOOK BECOMING A MOVIE IN 2018

A CLASSIC

THE FIRST BOOK IN A NEW-TO-YOU SERIES

A MEMOIR OR BIOGRAPHY

A MANGA, MARVEL, OR DC BOOK

A BOOK WITH A PROTAGONIST THAT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE YOU

A COLLECTION OF ESSAYS, POETRY, OR SHORT STORIES

A FANTASY, DYSTOPIA, OR SCIENCE FICTION BOOK

This is actually a pretty good challenge. I tend to shy away from challenges because a lot of them are just...pointless.  The Book Riot Read Harder challenge is actually quite good, especially if you are trying to diversify your reading, but I already read pretty diversely.  This one, though, might be just enough to nudge me out of some of my comfort zones (except that Manga, Marvel, or DC book--my brain just doesn't seem to "work" for graphic novels!)

• Love 1
18 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

This is actually a pretty good challenge. I tend to shy away from challenges because a lot of them are just...pointless.  The Book Riot Read Harder challenge is actually quite good, especially if you are trying to diversify your reading, but I already read pretty diversely.  This one, though, might be just enough to nudge me out of some of my comfort zones (except that Manga, Marvel, or DC book--my brain just doesn't seem to "work" for graphic novels!)

I'll recommend the Runaways series, which is Marvel, but for young adults. Also The Coldest City, the basis for the movie Atomic Blonde. And possibly Transmetropolitan, a ten volume series by Warren Ellis. It isn't all superheroes in the graphic section, though depending on your taste you might have to pick and choose a bit.

Any other fans of Georgette Heyer recommend some similar style of writing and light reads? A few years ago, I managed to read all of Heyer's Regency/Georgian romances and while some were better than others, the whole experience was fun. I haven't really read her mysteries so I could start there, but I like the light tone of her romance novels. I was considering some Dorothy L. Sayers as well but I know they may not be similar at all. Thank you! 

1 hour ago, Athena said:

Any other fans of Georgette Heyer recommend some similar style of writing and light reads? A few years ago, I managed to read all of Heyer's Regency/Georgian romances and while some were better than others, the whole experience was fun. I haven't really read her mysteries so I could start there, but I like the light tone of her romance novels. I was considering some Dorothy L. Sayers as well but I know they may not be similar at all. Thank you! 

I'm not a romance reader, but Georgette Heyer wrote a bunch of mysteries which I enjoy very much. Sayers is also good.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Athena said:

As a Heyer fan, I would recommend Patricia Veryan.  Her books are unfortunately out of print but you should be able to track some down through the library and used book stores.  They have a great blend of romance, history, and adventure you rarely find anymore.  Here is an article that talks about them and what order to read in :

http://fadedhat.blogspot.com/2014/02/helga-recommends-patricia-veryan.html

Let me get to the point. If you like Georgette Heyer's historical romances, you should try Patricia Veryan. If you like historical romance with elements of swashbuckling adventure (à la Scarlet Pimpernel), you should read Patricia Veryan. If you enjoy historical romances with characters that pop up in multiple books, especially series that end with rogues becoming heroes, Veryan could be a good fit for you as well. I am a Heyer fan, but I'm a Veryan fanatic.

I'll check my shelves later for what else to recommend.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Athena said:

I've read authors who might have one or two books that seem Heyeresque but rarely anyone with a complete bibliography that reminds me of her stuff.

I do think Stella Riley comes close.  She writes historical fiction with a liberal dash of romance.  She also has some novels that are strictly romance.  Her Rockliffe series to me is very Heyer in spirit.

Mary Balogh has a ridiculously deep backlist and she writes very differently across books, but Slightly Dangerous had a very Heyer feel as does her The Lady With The Black Umbrella

• Love 1