Type keyword(s) to search

Book Recommendations

• Start Topic

glowlights, I can recommend one of the books on sharpie's list:  The Unwinding: An Inner History of the New America by George Packer.  It focuses on the politics behind the failure of an American city -- very enlightening. 

Hi. I would really appreciate some book recommendations for books that are not upsetting but that are inspiring in some way or sweet. So, no books please about war, someone dying, an up and down or abusive relationship, substance abuse, etc.

Reason is, I'm pregnant, alone 99% of the time, having constant Shingles outbreaks, and have been getting panic attacks or crying often. I'd like some books to read that are interesting enough and not just "fluff" but that don't have a sad or upsetting premise.

Some of my usual favorites are Wicked series, My Fearful Symmetry, Gone Girl, Series of Unfortunate Events books, and Jane Eyre. (Just to give an idea of my usual tastes when I'm a bit stronger emotionally).

Have you tried Terry Pratchett? He's gotten more serious in recent years, but his early stuff is almost just a framework for jokes.

Terry Pratchett's earlier Discworld books are tremendous fun. Anything before Jingo, I'd say. After that I started to notice a drop in quality. Soul Music is a pretty good one to start with. Or maybe Moving Pictures. Or if you like the classics, Wyrd Sisters is a very funny Macbeth parody.

And if Terry Pratchett's Discworld isn't your cup of tea, then Good Omens, which he wrote with Neil Gaiman, is a good bet as well.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1

Bill Bryson's travel books are pretty funny, though again, they have serious parts. But more funny than serious, IMO. Come to think of it, every work intended for adults will get serious at times. But for the most part, these are fun.

• Love 5

Betweenyouandme, someone recommended Bill Bryson's "Walk in the Woods" to me and I started listening to the unabridged audiobook.  Now I have a pretty strong stomach -- I've listened to military science fiction and urban fantasy audiobooks -- but I stopped listening to "Walk in the Woods" because of a particularly graphic scene concerning a bear attack.  Based on what you said in your earlier post, I'm not sure it would be a good fit for you at this time.  You might want to save the book for when you are in a less emotional state.

Betweenyouandme, someone recommended Bill Bryson's "Walk in the Woods" to me and I started listening to the unabridged audiobook. Now I have a pretty strong stomach -- I've listened to military science fiction and urban fantasy audiobooks -- but I stopped listening to "Walk in the Woods" because of a particularly graphic scene concerning a bear attack. Based on what you said in your earlier post, I'm not sure it would be a good fit for you at this time. You might want to save the book for when you are in a less emotional state.

Oh, darn. Ok. Thank you so much for the heads' up. I might let my mom read it when she visits soon and save it for myself for later. I love animals, but when I was little I read this true story in a teen/kid magazine about a girl who got stepped on the face by her horse. I had nightmares for years. It was so graphic. So horrifying because animals are wonderful, but they're still animals.

In your request, you didn't specify your preferred genres.

If you like classics, I would recommend Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice".  I've read most of Austen's works but "Pride and Prejudice" is by far my favorite. Or you could watch the 1995 BBC production, an excellent adaptation, and Colin Firth brings Mr. Darcy to life. But I digress.

If you like historical romance, I would recommend Georgette Heyer. I liked most of her romances, which have been described as romps, and would start with "Frederica", "False Colours", and "Sylvester or The Wicked Uncle".

If you're into mysteries, I would recommend Isaac Asimov's Black Widowers series, although they are hard to find since they are out of print. Here is a blurb for "Tales of the Black Widowers", the first book in the series.

The Black Widowers Club: There were six of them. Professional men and their waiter. They gather at the Milano Restaurant once a month for good food and good conversation.  But lately the Black Widowers have added a new entertainment to their meetings. They have begun to solve mysteries, murders, and conspiracies of seemingly impossible dimensions.  With all the skill of Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot combined, these six men and their ever-faithful waiter, Henry, take on challenging cases that will tease your deductive skills to the limit-and keep you guessing to the very end.

If you are into science fiction, I recommend Robert Asprin's "Phule's Company" and "Phule's Paradise" but would not go beyond these two books in the series.

If you decide to try any of these books, I'd like to know what you think.  Good reading.

• Love 1

Betweenyouandme, I'm not sure if these would interest you but they tend to make me laugh quite a bit...any of Jen Lancaster's memoirs. Some of my favorites are her first one (Bitter is the New Black) and My Fair Lazy. I also really enjoyed Hester Browne's The Little Lady Agency series. The Help is always a good book too. I remember reading In These Girls, Hope is a Muscle while in high school and found it quite inspiring. Hope those help.

(edited)

Ok. I've ordered two Georgette Heyer books. I'll head to used bookstores when my mother visits to look out for the Black Widower books. I've already got Pride and Prejudice. Love it.

I think the Little Lady Agency might hit too close to home with my dad and his "female friends" half his age.

In These Girls...looks great!

Thank you!!

Oh, and my mom has The Help. I'll ask her to bring that.

Edited by Betweenyouandme
  • Love 1

Anyone have any suggestions for military SF? I have to qualify this, though. Not that subgenre where it focusses on a bunch of diehard conservatives and anyone slightly left of them is useless/a traitor and so they're the only ones who understand/make things better. I've read those books and don't like them. But anything else, especially towards a lighter tone.

I don't know how light the tone is, but you should give the Hammer's Slammers series by David Drake a look. I quite enjoyed the books when I read them, which was a while ago.

Yeah, I tried the first Empire of Man book, and just made it through the first Honour Harrington. I'm not sure David Weber is my sort of thing.

This is a slightly different genre, as its historical fiction, but I recommend The First Man in Rome by the late Colleen McCullough, which is the first in a series called The Masters of Rome. Random, probably, but the word 'empire' made me think of it. :-P

Can someone recommend some new detective fiction? My tastes there vary, from the fairly gritty work of Andrew Vachss (who I would recommend) to the slightly lighter stuff like Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone and the In Death series by J.D. Robb.

Can someone recommend some new detective fiction? My tastes there vary, from the fairly gritty work of Andrew Vachss (who I would recommend) to the slightly lighter stuff like Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone and the In Death series by J.D. Robb.

Have you read Tana French's Dublin Murder Squad series? Five books, starting with In The Woods. I'm not a huge detective novel fan, but I really like most of them.

• Love 1

Hi. I would really appreciate some book recommendations for books that are not upsetting but that are inspiring in some way or sweet. So, no books please about war, someone dying, an up and down or abusive relationship, substance abuse, etc.

Sorry to hear that you're not feeling well right now! A lot of people look askance whenever I recommend this, but... when I'm really sick or going through a bad time I turn to some of Garrison Keillor's work. We Are Still Married is a good, earlier collection of inter-connected stories, as is Leaving Home. I've also enjoyed the Lake Woebegon monologues on audio (collected from A Prairie Home Companion), especially when I'm stuck in bed. Sweet, gentle, funny, poignant, and somehow reassuring.

There's also Fierce Pajamas: An Anthology of Humor Writing From The New Yorker.

Hope you're doing well today. :)

• Love 1

I second the Tana French recommendation. My suggestions are anything by Laura Lippman ( I love the Tess Monaghan series in particular) and Julie Smith. I also like Mo Hayder, but only if I'm in the right mood because her books can be kind of creepy.

• Love 1

Cobalt Stargazer have you read the Phryne Fisher mysteries by Kerry Greenwood? (the tv series is excellent too).

Betweenyouandme if you like travel books, I really enjoyed It's Not About the Tapas by Polly Evans (she bikes all over Spain). On the lighter fiction side, my recommendations are Hotel Pastis by Peter Mayle, Sushi for Beginners by Marian Keyes, The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella, and Meet Me at the Cupcake Café  by Jenny Colgan. They're a few of my "comfort books."

• Love 2

It's not "new," but anytime someone is looking for a mystery, I always recommend The Alienist by Caleb Carr. It's probably my favorite in that genre in the past 25 years.

I have read The Alienist, and it was terrific.

Thanks for the recs, everyone, I have marked them down for later perusal.

(edited)

Sorry to hear that you're not feeling well right now! A lot of people look askance whenever I recommend this, but... when I'm really sick or going through a bad time I turn to some of Garrison Keillor's work. We Are Still Married is a good, earlier collection of inter-connected stories, as is Leaving Home. I've also enjoyed the Lake Woebegon monologues on audio (collected from A Prairie Home Companion), especially when I'm stuck in bed. Sweet, gentle, funny, poignant, and somehow reassuring.

There's also Fierce Pajamas: An Anthology of Humor Writing From The New Yorker.

Hope you're doing well today. :)

Thank you! I'm feeling a little better, though I shouldn't have watched My Girl today. My fault.

I think the Lake Woebegone monologues will be nice to get after I get a rocking chair in a week or two-it's the first nursery item I'm getting. I could listen to them then.

Fierce Pajamas looks funny. Definitely getting that. The reviews are awesome, and I like anthologies a lot. Thank you !! I've put Disquiet, please! in my cart for later.

Edited by Betweenyouandme

Hi Kris223, thank you for the suggestions. I'm going to start with a book from Sophie Kinsella called Twenties Girl because Undomestic Goddess is out of stock right now. One of the reviews was so sweet about liking the characters so much, and I like that there's a mystery angle.

Gosh, I'm really excited to get in my sitting room and start on these books. I received my first two today...Good Omens and the one Walk in the Woods that I'll let my mom read first. Yay.

I'm a little bit late to the party, but for a lighter somewhat inspirational read, I suggest the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith. They are technically mysteries but its almost never violent crime and the characters are so charming and the writing is just wonderful. They always make me happy.

As for other mysteries, I recently started the Dave Robicheaux series by James Lee Burke and they are really good. The good news is that there are so many of them, but I have noticed that they can get a bit repetitive if you binge all at once. I also really the Inspector Ikmen series by Barbara Nadel. They take place in Istanbul and the writer is British. They can be hard to find in the library and chain bookstores, but Amazon always seems to have them at a good price.

I agree on the greatness of The Alienist and Kate Atkinson!

• Love 2

A mention on another thread here brought to my mind a book I read way back in high school, in the early 1980s--The Books of Rachel, by Joel Gross. It's in the same genre as Michener in that it is a multi-generational historical fiction work that focuses on a Jewish family of jewelers from Spain in the 15th century through postwar United States. It doesn't get mentioned as favorably as those Michener titles, but it is much more readible, IMO. I haven't read it in over 30 years, but I have really fond memories of how good it is.

It has been great to read all of the suggestions here! I am having a hard time finding a new book right now. I enjoy a wide variety! I have read all of Harry Potter and Hunger Games, but tend not to read too much YA. I also don't typically read Science Fiction.

I have read everything by Stephen King, Tana French and Christopher Moore. Recently I have read: Gone Girl, Girl on the Train, Wild, Revival, and some Liane Moriarty books (which I find enjoyable...like "popcorn" books!). I have also read a few non-fiction books lately: Unbroken, The Long Walk, and Shadow Divers.

Right now I'm taking a fiction writing class, so I'm hoping to find something that might inspire me. Two of the story ideas I'm thinking of are:

Father/daughter reconnecting/connecting in a way they never did before as he is getting older, lost his money due to bad economy, etc. and she is going through some growing pains in her late 20's/early 30's

or

4 girlfriends who have known each other since high school take a trip every 10 years to reconnect

If you guys can think of any books that might be along these lines, that would be great! Otherwise, and recommendation of good fiction or non-fiction is welcome!

As for other mysteries, I recently started the Dave Robicheaux series by James Lee Burke and they are really good. The good news is that there are so many of them, but I have noticed that they can get a bit repetitive if you binge all at once.

Agreed! Some of the same phrases seem to pop up in every book. Have you tried the books written by his daughter, Alafair Burke? I've enjoyed them a lot. Nothing like her father's though.

Agreed! Some of the same phrases seem to pop up in every book. Have you tried the books written by his daughter, Alafair Burke? I've enjoyed them a lot. Nothing like her father's though.

I haven't. What are they like? I was worried that they may be too similar.

I haven't. What are they like? I was worried that they may be too similar.

There is a series featuring a female detective in NYC, Eliie Hatcher, and then another series with an attorney (I think). I've read the Ellie Hatcher series and at least one of the books in the other series. The Ellie Hatcher series is in the vein of "new detective with something to prove" but that manifests in her being very persistent, not with her taking unnecessary risks and finding herself in trouble. Good homicide detective stories is the best description I can come up with unfortunately! Somewhat similar in tone to the Kate Martinelli series by Laurie King.

• Love 1

I currently have an interest in fiction dealing with WWI and its immediate aftermath in Europe.  I've blown through all of Charle Todd's mysteries in record time, and am currently in the market for something similar.  Doesn't have to be mystery, although I do prefer that genre, but I'm not particularly into romance-type novels.  Anybody have any suggestions?

Adding to the several other great suggestions, you might try the Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear. I haven't read her but a friend who reads a lot of mysteries really enjoyed them.

For those who enjoy urban fantasy I'm recommending the Other series by Anne Bishop: Written In Red, Murder Of Crows, and the just released Vision In Silver. Anne is planning for a 5-book series and she writes a book a year. So if you start the series and get hooked ... well the books are worth the wait.

To pique your interest, I've exerpted this synopis:

The series is set on an alternate earth where humans are not the dominant species.  We exist courtesy of the Others or Terra Indigene, an umbrella term for various shape-shifters, vampires and other powerful supernatural beings who are stewards of the earth’s resources.  To them, humans are at best a kind of clever meat, and if we ignore their rules or violate the terms on which they have permitted us to occupy parts of their land, the consequences for mankind could be disastrous.  The heroine is a human, Meg, who is a cassandra sangue or Blood Prophet. She’s been imprisoned all her life because when her skin is cut she sees true visions which her owner uses for his considerable political and financial gain.  She escapes and finds sanctuary at the Lakeside Courtyard, a business district owned by a community of the Others, one of the few places where humans and the Others interact.While Meg’s Controller hunts high and low for her, she attempts to make a normal, independent life for herself, and just by doing so she changes everything.

A mystery series that I love are Louise Penny's books. Her detective is a Canadian (Quebec) Chief Inspector and most of the mysteries surround a small town in Quebec. The first one started a little slow but I kept with it and I love the whole series (10 books, I think it is now). 

• Love 1

If you're into British police procedurals, I highly recommend the Inspector Wexford books by Ruth Rendell, the Inspector Sloan books by Catherine Aird, the Alan Banks novels by Peter Robinson, Chief Inspector Lloyd & Inspector Judy Hill books by Jill McGown, Richard Jury books by Martha Grimes (also have a bit of a cozy feel to them because of the other characters), or the Superintendent Dalziel & Sergeant Pascoe books by Reginald Hill.

One of my favorite light and fun mysteries is the Southern Sisters series by Anne George. Set in Birmingham, Alabama, a retired school teacher and her flamboyant older (but getting younger every year) sister find themselves embroiled in murder after murder and hi jinks ensue.  My favorite for a good read when I don't want to have to think.  

I also love Martha Grimes' Richard Jury mysteries.  They aren't so light and easy to read but they are engrossing and worth the read.  Nice cast of supporting characters.

Fun also, Rita Mae Brown and Sneaky Pie Brown mysteries  where the main character's pets help solve the mystery and have an active social life of their own.  

Elizabeth Peters for the win forever and always with her Amelia Peabody series.  She was my first introduction to mysteries and I still read them. Never you mind how long its been....don't be rude. 

For non mysteries my favorite at the moment is Ann Patchett.  Her Bel Canto and Magician's Assistant are some of my favorites.  She has a genuine ability to bring the reader along on the emotional journey with the characters. 

For fantasy, my favorite right now is Robin McKinley.  Sunshine being the first one of her books I read..vampires and humor...what else do you need?  

ETA: Can't leave out Navada Barr's Anna Pigeon series...start at the beginning...Track of the Cat, I believe.  The last few have been a bit hard to get through but the first 10 or so are excellent.   Park Ranger Anna Pigeon solves murders set in National Parks.    Navada Barr is a  real  honest to goodness former park ranger so lavish and loving descriptions of the parks are an added bonus. 

Edited by Rosieroo
  • Love 1

I currently have an interest in fiction dealing with WWI and its immediate aftermath in Europe.  I've blown through all of Charle Todd's mysteries in record time, and am currently in the market for something similar.  Doesn't have to be mystery, although I do prefer that genre, but I'm not particularly into romance-type novels.  Anybody have any suggestions?

The first book of the Century trilogy by Ken Follett (Fall of Giants) is fascinating. - it starts a few years before WWI and ends after WW1. I learned a lot while enjoying the ride, and same for people I know who normaly are not into historic novels. The seconf tome of the trilogy is very dark though (haven't read the third one yet). 

Right now I'm taking a fiction writing class, so I'm hoping to find something that might inspire me. Two of the story ideas I'm thinking of are:

Father/daughter reconnecting/connecting in a way they never did before as he is getting older, lost his money due to bad economy, etc. and she is going through some growing pains in her late 20's/early 30's...

If you guys can think of any books that might be along these lines, that would be great! Otherwise, and recommendation of good fiction or non-fiction is welcome!

This is nonfiction and I haven't read it, but I just saw this book, so it came to mind. Obviously the daughter is older than what you were thinking, but maybe that's a good thing. Breaking the Code: A Father's Secret, a Daughter's Journey, and the Question That Changed Everything:

On his 81st birthday, without explanation, Karen Alaniz's father placed two weathered notebooks on her lap. Inside were more than 400 pages of letters he'd written to his parents during WWII. She began reading them, and the more she read, the more she discovered about the man she never knew and the secret role he played in WWII.

(edited)

Father/daughter reconnecting/connecting in a way they never did before as he is getting older, lost his money due to bad economy, etc. and she is going through some growing pains in her late 20's/early 30's

or

4 girlfriends who have known each other since high school take a trip every 10 years to reconnect

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach has a storyline about a twenty-something daughter reconnecting with her father after she's spent several years in an unwise marriage and wants to reassess where her life is headed. The father isn't down on his luck, but he is going through a rather significant change in his own life. It's not the main focus of the book, but it is a decent sized part of it.

And I think the rest of the book is fantastic as well.

Edited by Danny Franks

Sunless by Monte Andarton.  I am unable to reasonably summarize it, but it is a really compelling story with loads of interesting characters.  I found myself wanting to know more about almost all of the characters that showed up and could easily imagine they are each worth their own book.  It has humans, elves, vampires, succubi, dragons...but a consistently different take on each than what is normally seen in books and movies.

Currently the Kindle edition is free on Amazon.

Has anyone read Blind God's Bluff by Richard Lee Byers? I ran across this book & it sounds interesting to me. Just wondering if there was anyone who actually read it.

Maybe you guys could help with some book recs for my husband? He really enjoys John Le Carre and John Grisham. What I'm hoping for is some new or (newer) releases by similar authors. Help? TIA

(edited)

Can anyone recommend any interesting series that cover generations? An example of what I'm asking for is a book I read that centered on a precious jewel and the individual stories of the generations of people who owned it. Another one is Exodus by Leon Uris. Clan of the Cave Bear is another. I'd prefer something fairly clean. It doesn't have to be rated G, but I don't want any pleasuring or panting or throbbing anythings. I can skip over that stuff if it's just occasional.

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 1

Maybe you guys could help with some book recs for my husband? He really enjoys John Le Carre and John Grisham. What I'm hoping for is some new or (newer) releases by similar authors. Help? TIA

Lee Child? His Jack Reacher is enormously popular and he might just fit the bill. I have not read him but am pretty sure his readership is similar to your husband's likes.

Clive Cussler is another possibility. I used to read his Dirk Pitt series and enjoyed them. Kind of James Bond meets US spy agency. Not too serious, not too fun.

For Bubbls: John Jakes, maybe? Generational sagas in the US.

Or there is Ken Follett. I have only read his Pillars of the Earth, not my normal read, and was quite taken with it. I know he has written about things more current than the building of a 12th century cathedral but nothing wrong with Pillars. His books are big thick reads.

Your mention of Clan makes me think of books by Diana Gabaldon. One of the premium cables recently did her Outlanders.

Can't guarantee against throbbing. I usually skim through that and violence. Though would rather not have to.

• Love 2
(edited)

Similar to John Le Carre.

How about Frederick Forsyth.  His most famous work is The Day of the Jackal (1971)

An adventure thriller in which an anonymous Englishman who in the spring of 1963, was hired by Colonel Marc Rodin, Operations Chief of the OAS to assassinate General De Gaulle.

I've read and enjoyed David Morrell.  Especially this series :

Mortalis
1. The Brotherhood of the Rose (1984)

They were orphans, Chris and Saul--raised in a Philadelphia school for boys, bonded by friendship, and devoted to a mysterious man called Eliot. He visited them and brought them candy. He treated them like sons. He trained them to be assassins. Now he is trying desperately to have them killed.
2. The Fraternity of the Stone (1985)
3. The League of Night and Fog (1987)

I haven't read many of the newer authors in the spy/espionage field but some of the big names seem to be :

Brad Thor

Daniel Silva

Brad Taylor

Vince Flynn

Brad Meltzer

Jason Matthews

Edited by Bunty
  • Love 1

Generational sagas

Herman Wouk  Winds of War/War and Remembrance.  I haven't read them but enjoyed the mini-series made from the books.

James Clavell  Again haven't read him but enjoyed several of the movies.  I really liked King Rat with George Segal.

Asian Saga
1. Shogun (1975)
2. Tai Pan (1966)
3. Gai-jin (1993)
4. King Rat (1962)
5. Noble House (1981)
6. Whirlwind (1986)

• Love 1

Joseph Kanon writes some really good period spy/thriller fiction. And Charles Cumming is very highly rated, but not someone I've enjoyed a huge amount. A fan of Le Carre is likely to enjoy the work of both of them.

• Love 1