Type keyword(s) to search

Book Recommendations

• Start Topic

Someone mentioned they were watching these forums for book recommendations, so why not start a thread for that purpose?  Which books would you recommend to others, and why?

One book I would recommend to anyone who likes romance is Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell.  I read it last year, and I thought it was sweet with just the right amount of sadness/realism.  I'm really getting into YA now, so if anyone has any YA recommendations let me know. :)

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm really getting into YA now, so if anyone has any YA recommendations let me know. :)

I like paranormal YA. I thought the Marie Lu Legend/Prodigy/Champion series was very good. I also liked the Darklight Trilogy by Darynda Jones. & The Hunger Games, but whatever you do, stay away from the House of Night series by P.C. & Kristen Cast. Unfortunately, a lot of trilogies fall apart in the last book (see: Divergent/Insurgent/Allegiant)

Edited by GaT
  • Love 1

I would recommend 'Feed' by Mira Grant.  It's the first book in the Newsflesh trilogy, but I haven't read the other two yet.  It's technically a zombie apocalypse novel, but the zombies aren't really the main focus.  I would label it a scifi/medical/political thriller.  It takes place 20-some odd years after the ZA and it's fascinating to read about how 'life goes on' when you are faced with the constant threat of the people around you becoming infected and turning.  There is some 'adult' language and it is a fairly lengthy book, but there isn't much gore, so you could probably recommend the book to YA readers (high school level, anyway).

• Love 1
(edited)

Anyone who likes space opera, or just sci-fi in general, should read The Expanse series by James S.A Corey (really Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck). It's a fast paced, exciting tale that just keeps getting bigger and better, with a sympathetic and plucky band of central characters who are doing their best to stay afloat as they get caught up in events so much bigger than they can comprehend.

Sounds like Firefly? Well, there are definite similarities.

And carrying that on, there's also the Tales of the Ketty Jay series by Chris Wooding. A similar premise, but rather than outer space, it's set in a fantasy world where the primary mode of transport are airship/plane type vehicles. Again, a ragtag band of pirates and smugglers who get caught up in events they'd really rather steer clear of. And you grow so attached to them, as the story progresses. Even the ones who are assholes.

In a more serious, literary vein, I'll mention The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach and Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain. Both novels that use American sports (baseball and football, respectively) as backdrops for an introspective look at their young protagonists. In the former, the story revolves around a small college campus and the lives of five people on it. How a few unforeseen events shape their immediate futures in unexpected ways. And the latter, it's told entirely from the point of view of one young American soldier, attending a Dallas Cowboys game with his unit, and being celebrated by one and all in a gaudy, brash show of self-congratulatory nonsense from people who have no clue what they're really celebrating. And it's a rather scathing look at celebrity, and how easily it can be achieved, even by those who don't really want it.

Edited by Danny Franks

I recently discovered Michael J. Sullivan's The Riyria Revelations and thought they were great fun.  While series is called high fantasy it feels very grounded to me; what makes it most enjoyable is the relationship between the two main characters: Hadrian Blackwater, an ex-soldier turned mercenary and Royce Melborn, a thief who has grown up on the streets.

I'm a big fan of Brandon Sanderson and love the magic system he set up in The Mistborn Series and because of that a friend recommended Brian McClellan's Promise of Blood, the first in a planned Powder Mage trilogy, a story filled with flintlocks, muskets, and those who can consume gunpowder to do amazing things.

C.S. Harris writes the Sebastian St. Cyr series of novels; a collection of mysteries set during Regency Era England - it's very Mr. Darcy meets James Bond.  While some of the action is a bit eye-roll worthy, the stories are fun, fast moving, and a nice way to kill an afternoon.

Anyone who likes space opera, or just sci-fi in general, should read The Expanse series by James S.A Corey (really Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck). It's a fast paced, exciting tale that just keeps getting bigger and better, with a sympathetic and plucky band of central characters who are doing their best to stay afloat as they get caught up in events so much bigger than they can comprehend.

Sounds like Firefly? Well, there are definite similarities.

And carrying that on, there's also the Tales of the Ketty Jay series by Chris Wooding. A similar premise, but rather than outer space, it's set in a fantasy world where the primary mode of transport are airship/plane type vehicles. Again, a ragtag band of pirates and smugglers who get caught up in events they'd really rather steer clear of. And you grow so attached to them, as the story progresses. Even the ones who are assholes.

I adore those series ......... I was told "they're Firefly-ish" and I was hooked.  I second these recommendations.

The Billy Boyle series of World War II murder mysteries by James R. Benn.  Billy is a young Boston policeman and an Irish-Catholic with an Irish-Catholic's prejudices against the English, who falls in love with an English girl while serving on his "Uncle Ike's" staff.  He's a distant relative of Mamie Eisenhower, so his mother got him into Ike's staff.  With his police background, Ike asks him to investigate mysteries happening during the War.

As of now, the books in the series include:

Billy Boyle - set in Norway

The First Wave - North Africa

Blood Alone - Sicily

Evil for Evil - Northern Ireland

Rag and Bone - set in London, about the ramifications of the Katyn Forest massacre

A Mortal Terror - Italy

Death's Door - Rome

A Blind Goddess - pre-D-Day England

I second the recommendation for the Sebastian St. Cyr books, though they do descend into soap opera at times (the stories of his parentage, what happened to his mother, his marriage).

I love Luis Urrea.  Into the Beautiful North is a fun road trip book with The Magnificent 7 theme used by young Mexican girls. Hummingbird's Daughter and the sequel Queen of America are excellent.  If you don't know any Spanish you might be a td lost but it is well worth the effort.  He has also written non-fiction and been nominated for a Pulitzer.  He write poetry and all of it is lovely.  

I have fallen in love with the Book Thief.  I have given it as a gift to grandkids and to adults.  Super read and IMO a must read.

Since I just came from the Divergent thread trashing that trilogy, I thought I'd throw in one here that I really like, the Hard Magic trilogy (Hard Magic/Spellbound/Warbound) by Larry Correia. These books get categorized as Fantasy because they have 'magic' in the title, but I believe they are good, hard, science fiction at it's best. In an alternate 1930's era Earth, a small percentage of the population have specific 'magic' powers, such as control over gravity or electricity or the ability to read minds or teleport. Historical figures such as Albert Einstein and Teddy Roosevelt still exist and historical events such as WWI still happened, but everything is slightly twisted. When the reason for the magic powers is finally presented, it makes perfect sense. Correia has created a tight, complete world with it's own logic and no loose ends. It's a thing of wonder.

This is not a YA paranormal romance or dystopian future trilogy. Each of the books ends with a fairly long but exciting battle sequence, so be warned. Also, I listened to these on audiobook rather than read them, and the performance of the narrator is outstanding, and may add something to why I like the books so much.

I really enjoyed the Night Angel series by Brent Weeks.  I read all three back to back and wasn't disappointed at all.  I also really liked the Demon Cycle books by Peter V. Brett.  The Edge series and Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews is also fun, as are the Study, Opal Cowan and Healer series of books by Maria V. Snyder. 

• Love 1

One book I would recommend to anyone who likes romance is Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell.  I read it last year, and I thought it was sweet with just the right amount of sadness/realism.  I'm really getting into YA now, so if anyone has any YA recommendations let me know. :)

I recently read Anna and the French Kiss. I liked it, I thought it was a good, fluffy poolside/beach read. I haven't read Eleanor and Park but I have read Rowell's Fangirl, and liked it.  I've read several Sarah Dessen books (Truth About Forever, Lock and Key, Just Listen...there may have been others, can't remember!) and I enjoy her stories. I think of the Dessen books I've read, the Truth about Forever has been my favorite so far, although I have enjoyed all of them.

I really liked Just One Day and Just One Year by Gayle Forman. Prior to that, I had read If I Stay (movie version comes out in August) and Where She Went and liked both of those as well.

• Love 1

If you're into crime/mystery novels, I recently read Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter and thought it was one of the best I've read in quote awhile. It's a very quick read too; I tore through it in about a day.

And I think it's been out for a few years, but I recently read Five Days at Memorial, and I can't recommend it enough. It's not a light read by any means, but it is meticulously researched and extremely engrossing.

As an aside, if anyone likes podcasts about books, I highly recommend the podcast Literary Disco. I've read quite a few books they've recommended on the podcast and I haven't been disappointed yet.

(edited)

Just finished the Prince of Thorns trilogy by Mark Lawrence.

And wow! If you like gritty, dark, violent fantasy with a main character you both hate and empathize with, then this series is for you.  It's probably the most visceral, punch-you-in-the-gut series I've read in quite some time. (It's almost Games of Thrones-ish on a MUCH smaller, less-epic scale.)

Haven't tried "Prince of Fools" yet, which is the start of a new trilogy set int the same world.

Other random recs in the fantasy genre?

• The Dwarves quartet by Markus Heitz.  Can't recommend enough! This is Infinitely readable and engaging, with likable characters in a well-defined fantasy world.
  • The River of Shadows quartet by Robert Reddick.  What can I say? I"m a sucker for ship/sea-based fantasy!
  • Year of the Dragons quartet by Jame Calbraith.  A fun mix of transtional fantasy/steampunk and Eastern mythology. (He's startin a new series in the same world.)
  • The Nightrunner series by Lynn Flewelling. 
Edited by ShadowDenizen

This looked like a good place to dip my toe in the water of posting after the demise of TWOP.  After all you can only wear black for so long. And as much as I love a good TV discussion, books are my first love & unlike TV I know I can depend on them even if the power goes out.

I could recommend books till the cows come home but I'm just going to mention a few recent reads. 

YA- The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski-- twisty political/military fantasy-- good readalike for those who like Megan Whalen Turner.

YA- The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas-- high fantasy that moves between a magical realm & Eton College in London.

Fantasy- The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison-- Steampunk crossed with fantasy-- the exiled half-goblin son of the Elven king becomes the unexpected ruler when his father & brothers die suddenly in an accident.

• Love 1

I'll also throw a recommendation in there for The Art of Fielding.

If you're looking for an excellent YA novel, I'd recommend Red Rising by Pierce Brown.  While it bears similarities to The Hunger Games and Ender's Game, the book more than stands up on his own.  Pierce Brown had created an incredibly interesting and compelling premise/world here.  The Amazon ranking for it currently stands at 4.5 out of 5 stars with nearly 700 people voting.  The second book in the trilogy is out in January.

Another recommendation is Shovel Ready by Adam Sternbergh.  It's a short read and another interesting world about a garbage man (killer) sent to find the daughter of a powerful pastor in a post-dirty bomb New York.

• Love 1

I'd recommend Tiger Hills Sarita Madanna for anyone that likes historical fiction set in India.  The plot itself is kind of a messed up Bollywood soap opera, but it's beautifully written and the subject matter is very haunting.

@stewedsquash : In the general threads such as this one, we would appreciate posters using spoiler tags - the circle with cross sign in the editor - for A-bomb spoilers. These are climactic events and endings in a book that would in theory, ruin the reader's enjoyment of the work. So things that would not be on the back cover synopsis. Use at your own discretion.

Fantasy- The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison-- Steampunk crossed with fantasy-- the exiled half-goblin son of the Elven king becomes the unexpected ruler when his father & brothers die suddenly in an accident.

I picked up The Goblin Emperor in the book store, and actually read about 100 pages of it there in the store, but the hardback is just too expensive, so I'm going to have to wait till it comes out in paper.

@ Danny Franks, Since you mentioned space opera, have you read SImon R. Green's Deathstalker series?  His Secret History series is pretty fun too; they're a James Bond parody sprinkled with paranormal elements.

I haven't read those, no. I think I've seen them and thought that 'Deathstalker' was too much of a low budget 80s fantasy movie name. But I checked out the wikipedia entry, and they do sound more interesting than that. Might give them a shot.

I just finished reading Lexicon, by Max Barry, and I'd recommend that to anyone who likes thriller novels. And I'd highly recommend it to people who like scifi thrillers. Really good read, and Barry is certainly developing as a writer. This book reads so much better than Jennifer Government did (though I do like that book as well).

Oh, and for fans of historical fiction, can I also recommend The Ill-Made Knight, by Christian Cameron. Bloody fantastic novel, about a young soldier aspiring to become a knight, during the 100 years war. It's the first of Cameron's books I read, and so I was pretty disappointed to read a couple of his Ancient Greek novels, only to discover they're nowhere near as good. Hopefully he writes more medieval stuff, because he just has the tone and content down perfectly. Based on this novel, I'd put Cameron right up there with the finest writers of historical fiction.

I picked up The Goblin Emperor in the book store, and actually read about 100 pages of it there in the store, but the hardback is just too expensive, so I'm going to have to wait till it comes out in paper.

Amazon is saying that the paperback will be released on March 3, 2015.  Not too bad and then there is always the library.

I have my brother to thank for getting me book 1 for Christmas a couple years ago: The Chathrand Voyages by Robert V.S. Redick. This is actually one of those unfortunate situations where half the fun is the multitude of plot twists, so you should ideally go in knowing as little of what you're going to get as possible, but I have come up with a pitch that lets people know what they're in for while still keeping a complete mystery about the whole thing: Imagine a cast of characters just as big as in Game of Thrones, with just as many plots and counterplots between them...and they're all stuck on a single ship together.

There are four books: The Red Wolf Conspiracy, The Ruling Sea, The River of Shadows, and Night of the Swarm. And after experiencing the pain of being a Song of Ice and Fire fan, I'm immensely pleased that Redick was actually able to wrangle his massive amount of story enough to put out a book a year and let us have closure in a timely fashion. One warning I'd give is that everything isn't wrapped up with a bow at the end, but it's one of those rare occasions where this actually adds to the story, and lets us feel like we only got to see one piece of a whole world, which can't be summed up in just four books, however big they are. In the end, I feel like Redick wrapped up the perfect amount, and any more would have made it a lesser work.

• Love 1
(edited)

Has anyone read The Rook by Daniel O'Malley?    

It's quite good; reminds me a bit of a police procedural mixed with X-Files and a fair amount of humor.  The author had me from the opening line: "The body you are wearing used to be mine."

Edited by OakGoblinFly
  • Love 1

It's quite good; reminds me a bit of a police procedural mixed with X-Files and a fair amount of humor.  The author had me from the opening line: "The body you are wearing used to be mine."

I have read that, actually. I was a bit dubious at first, with the premise of MI6 for magic, but it actually worked out really well. I liked Myfanwy a lot as a protagonist, she had a great, sardonic sense of humour that appealed to me. But I did find that the book lost a little focus as it grew to a climax. I find that a lot with books built on a big, very different premise. Plot sometimes ends up taking a back seat (just a little) to setting up the world for future stories. Still, when the next one comes out, I will read it.

The Grafters were pretty horrifying as villains, and then more complex than they first appeared. I'm better at reading that sort of body horror stuff than I am at watching it, I have to say.

I like the sound of this, I'll give it a try.

I thought I'd give some a suggested structure to this topic in a similar way that @Kromm did for the TV shows recommendations. You can use this thread in a number of ways:

1. Unasked, you can give an "open" recommendation to everyone all at once.  The assumption here though is that you feel it's a vastly under-appreciated or even better simply an unexpectedly interesting/superior unknown book or author that the masses are missing out on.
  2. Give a book or author, ask for recommendations of other books/authors that are similar/should be liked. e.g. "Hey, I'm a fan of the Song of Fire & Ice series, can someone recommend something similar?" If someone else sees that and has an opinion, then they should quote the post and give their answer.
  3. Or finally, do a combination of those two--rather than asking for a recommendation based on similarities, simply give one (as in #1), but in the process compare it to other books it's like, so people have a guideline. e.g. "The steam punk urban fantasy novels of Gail Carriger are those who enjoy fantasy from the Sookie Stackhouse books with some Neal Stephenson steam punk".

Enjoy!

• Love 1

I'm halfway through the first Discworld novel by Terry Pratchett, The Colour of Magic, and I cannot believe that I have never picked one of these up before. They've been around longer than I have, and you'd never even know it. The writing shows no sign of being dated and the humor is just as sharp as if it were written yesterday. Apparently there's around forty other books in the series. Forty. I'm so happy that I don't have to leave this fictional world for a long, long time.

If you're very slow on the uptake like me and haven't read them, enjoy a good laugh from a fantasy book that you can't predict with utterly charming characters and a fleshed out world, check out the Discworld series. Seriously, I can't wait to read them all.

• Love 3

The Night Circus is a beautifully written book.  The structure of the novel is a bit complicated, but it's well worth the effort.  I also enjoyed Where are You, Bernadette?  Its funny and sarcastic surface is a hard-candy coating for a really sweet story about the bonds between a mother and daughter.    

• Love 3

I just finished The Poisonwood Bible. It stared out a bit slow for me, but once I got over the prologue the story really drew me in. It's pretty tragic, but fascinating.

I've read a number of Barbara Kingsolver's novels now, and I think TPB is not my favourite of hers. I think it'd have to be Prodigal Summer. I don't think she's particularly good at plots or even resolution, but I just really liker her writing style and tone. 

Thanks for the recommendation of The Rook @OakGoblinFly, I just finished it & really enjoyed it. Too bad the sequel won't be out until February.

The Night Circus is a beautifully written book.  The structure of the novel is a bit complicated, but it's well worth the effort. 

I just didn't get this book. I really wanted to like it, but I found the "love story" to be nothing, & the only thing that really stuck with me is child abuse which unfortunately, will never leave my brain.

• Love 1

I liked the structure of The Night Circus.  The style was unique and kept me thinking.  I'd also just read The Magicians and needed a break from self-centered teen-aged wizards.  The love story wasn't really what kept me reading.  

I loved The Poisonwood Bible.  I think Barbara Kingsolver is such a gifted writer.  Another of her books I loved is Flight Behavior.  I'm currently reading her book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.  It's a nonfiction book about her family's year of trying to eat only food they raise or that is grown locally.

I also loved The Night Circus.  It was magical and beautifully written. 

I loved The Poisonwood Bible.  I think Barbara Kingsolver is such a gifted writer.  Another of her books I loved is Flight Behavior.  I'm currently reading her book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.  It's a nonfiction book about her family's year of trying to eat only food they raise or that is grown locally.

I also loved The Night Circus.  It was magical and beautifully written. 

I liked Flight Behavior as well, but my absolute favourite book of hers is Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. It's inspirational actually and she seems just so good. 

Yeah, I adored The Night Circus too, but for some reason I didn't really care for the ending too much. A bit too contrived I found. 

Thanks to eegah's recommendation, I just finished The Red Wolf Conspiracy and really enjoyed it.  I went looking for the second one, The Ruling Sea, but it wasn't available in the store so I'll have to order it online.  I consoled myself by buying Snuff, by Terry Pratchett and completing (I believe) the series.  I started it late last year and read like a woman possessed.  I didn't always love the storylines but I adore his characters.

Thanks to eegah's recommendation, I just finished The Red Wolf Conspiracy and really enjoyed it.  I went looking for the second one, The Ruling Sea, but it wasn't available in the store so I'll have to order it online.  I consoled myself by buying Snuff, by Terry Pratchett and completing (I believe) the series.  I started it late last year and read like a woman possessed.  I didn't always love the storylines but I adore his characters.

Nope, Raising Steam came out last year. Also, he generally puts out at least one book a year, so it can be hard to keep up.

I think people who enjoy Barbara Kingsolver could also appreciate Gilead by Marilynne Robinson. It's a very quiet novel and completely introverted and introspective. Just beautifully written. I haven't yet read her first novel Home, but looking forward to it.

• Love 1
I loved The Poisonwood Bible.

It's among my favorite novels. 

My recommendations:

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Children of Men by P.D. James

In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

It's among my favorite novels. 

My recommendations:

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Children of Men by P.D. James

In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

I love P.D. James' Adam Dalgliesh books, but I hated Children of Men, it just didn't do it for me. I didn't care much for Death Comes to Pemberley either.

GaT, I'm somewhat the opposite. Of the Dalgliesh novels I've read, none has impressed me*, but I really enjoyed Children of Men. 

*Something tells me, I might need to read earlier novels in the series, because the later ones are just meh.

I think people who enjoy Barbara Kingsolver could also appreciate Gilead by Marilynne Robinson. It's a very quiet novel and completely introverted and introspective. Just beautifully written. I haven't yet read her first novel Home, but looking forward to it.

Gilead is such an awesome, gorgeous book!! I literally tear up every other page because the writing and sentiment are just so beautiful.

It isn't an easy book, it is sort of meandering and filled with long bible passages and references, but so worth it. I recommended this one to my book club and everyone hated it and only one person finished it. I seriously had to reconsider my friendship with some of them lol!

I think that Home is a sort of "sequel" to Gilead and her first novel is Housekeeping.

I just finished The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert and loved bit! I couldn't get through Eat Pray Love so I was very surprised. It is an old fashioned historic saga, funny and touching at the same time.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 1