Type keyword(s) to search

19 Things I Hate About You: How the Duggars Infuriate

• Start Topic

Like curly hair or wearing long skirts.. Imagine the thoughts that a man could get when a woman wears a long skirt and flip flops

That's so true. And about the long dresses, skirts and praire look. If history is anything to go by men really had no problem being attracted to women in those outfits. If they did, mankind would have died out a long time ago.

• Love 13

The girls are customized for Gothard's fetishes. He is such a superstar for these fools that I wonder if he was right when he suggested the girls were jealous of the ones he was attentive to. Eegads.

• Love 2

The girls are customized for Gothard's fetishes. He is such a superstar for these fools that I wonder if he was right when he suggested the girls were jealous of the ones he was attentive to. Eegads.

I think Gothard may have felt tempted by 80s Princess Diana.

awf3o5.jpg

• Love 8

Do these imbeciles REALLY think that wearing two tight shirts stretched across a woman's breasts is less defrauding than one tight shirt stretched across their breasts?  Also, the long skirts and tight shirts they wear when pregnant show the outline of their asses, as well as stretching across their big belly, to the point that their belly button stands out, yet they consider this as being modest?  Maybe their shoulders and knees are covered, but their clothes are just as tight as the girls in tank tops and mini skirts/shorts that they find so defrauding.  Maybe they should go back to the prairie dresses that hid all their curves, because they sure have them on display these days.   

It's so silly, because they are slavishly devoted to the arbitrary standards drilled into their heads. Two shirts and a skirt below the knee and you're good to go. How tight the shirts are and how butt-clingy the skirt is seem unimportant. And of course, as we've discussed, painted toenails and bare or flip-flopped/sandaled feet are A-okay. No surprise to find that Got-hard appeared to have something of a foot fetish. For the record: 

Yes, it's really quite sickening to read about all of his special pets and the "encouragement" he would give them regarding the long waves/curls framing their faces, thinness, etc. I'm sure on some level, because he was indeed a superstar in that world, that there could have been some jealousy. But it was HORRIBLE the way Gothard suggested in a letter recently that the over 30 women who reported his harassment/molestation were actually making it up due to jealousy. That is outrageous and so typical of him.

• Love 8

Mechelle saying that there is no such thing as an overpopulation problem because the entire human population can FIT shoulder to shoulder in Jacksonville, Florida.  That's like saying there is no hunger problem because there are enough Aldi's to feed everyone.  Or there is no problem with clean water for everyone - just look at all of the rivers and lakes.  It's so typical of her - let everyone stand shoulder to shoulder in Jacksonville while I live in my 7,000 square foot house making $3,000 grocery shopping trips.  A human being needs more than space enough to stand shoulder to shoulder with someone to survive and live.  I've come to the conclusion that she speaks like a three year old because she thinks like a three year old.

• Love 12

Mechelle saying that there is no such thing as an overpopulation problem because the entire human population can FIT shoulder to shoulder in Jacksonville, Florida.  That's like saying there is no hunger problem because there are enough Aldi's to feed everyone.  Or there is no problem with clean water for everyone - just look at all of the rivers and lakes.  It's so typical of her - let everyone stand shoulder to shoulder in Jacksonville while I live in my 7,000 square foot house making $3,000 grocery shopping trips.  A human being needs more than space enough to stand shoulder to shoulder with someone to survive and live.  I've come to the conclusion that she speaks like a three year old because she thinks like a three year old.

...or there is no poverty because there is enough cash in America for everyone to survive. Like my then 3 year old would say, "Just go to the bank box Momma".

• Love 7

Mechelle saying that there is no such thing as an overpopulation problem because the entire human population can FIT shoulder to shoulder in Jacksonville, Florida. That's like saying there is no hunger problem because there are enough Aldi's to feed everyone. Or there is no problem with clean water for everyone - just look at all of the rivers and lakes. It's so typical of her - let everyone stand shoulder to shoulder in Jacksonville while I live in my 7,000 square foot house making $3,000 grocery shopping trips. A human being needs more than space enough to stand shoulder to shoulder with someone to survive and live. I've come to the conclusion that she speaks like a three year old because she thinks like a three year old.

It makes you think, does Michelle know she thinks that 3,500 people can 'fit' in her 7000 square foot house?
  • Love 5

It makes you think, does Michelle know she thinks that 3,500 people can 'fit' in her 7000 square foot house?

obviously she didn't do the math, or they could have had the girls' weddings there and saved the venue rental fee. Which sort of begs the question: I wonder if JB even paid for the reception venue for Jessa, since it was basically the parking lot?
  • Love 3

obviously she didn't do the math, or they could have had the girls' weddings there and saved the venue rental fee.

Yeah, but then she might be asked to clean to cut costs or something... can't have that.

• Love 1

I think Gothard may have felt tempted by 80s Princess Diana.

awf3o5.jpg

So where are the "traps" in the pictures ???  I'm so confused....?!?!

I was an 80s girl/professional woman during the Diana years, and wore (face and ears getting red now) outfits very close if not identical to those shown.  Long skirts, lots of loose knits (always with a slip underneath, or the ghost of my grandmother would have come a-hauntin' !), high necklines, hose or tights, bows and lace, etc, etc. God help me - I wore "Cosby" sweaters over pants on Casual Fridays. Please forgive me ! 

Where, oh, where, are the so-called Gothard "traps" ????

Is it because he knows that, underneath all of those many layers of polyester and cotton and linen, that I STILL had my lady-bits ? That they lurked under there, under the shrouds of itchy, uncomfortable fabrics, that I was STILL a woman. Was I, or any woman, to be a sexless (Jenderless ?) Barbie with just smoothness and nothingness where there should be, uh...things ? 

I swear, I wore #6 as a costume in my school's production of Miller's The Crucible. 

• Love 10

They are the style elements that draw attention away from the countenance.

#1 There is a line across the chest where the patterned/non-patterned fabrics meet.

#2 There is a V neck and a style element (a diamond) that draws the eye to the chest

#3 Same as #1

#4 The slit in the skirt draws attention to the legs

#5 V-neck and bow draw attention to the chest

#6 The point on the collar draws the eye toward the chest.

Personally, I can't imagine anyone being sexually aroused by a woman in any of these outfits, but I am not a Gothard-level perv, either. In particular, I think that anyone who finds the pilgrim costume (#6) sexy has got some sort of fetish.

• Love 8

Exactly. Telling her that just because she can stand that many people shoulder to shoulder in her house, it is another matter entirely as to how many she could actually feed, bathe and clothe. That should be a simple enough analogy for her in regards to the ludicrous "overpopulation is a myth" stance, but it would require independent thought, and I'm honestly not sure she's capable.

I guess we now know why Mechelle favors plain colored shirts with no frills. We would all be horribly defrauded if a V neck or ruffle caused our eyes to linger on her breasts. 

• Love 2

Anything that's attractive to the eye but isn't on the "countenance." .... That include prints, bright colors, embroidery, etc. A long print skirt or a modestly constructed print blouse is generally verboten, as I understand it, because humans are drawn to look at interesting and colorful prints. So if you look at that long print skirt or the printed fabric of a shirt -- you'll be looking at "that" area of the woman's body! Her legs and her ass and her baby-fountains and her lady parts are under there! .... Among his other neuroses, Gothard seems to harbor the suspicion that anything humans are attracted to is bad and the attraction comes from Satan -- so pattern and design and decoration are kind of out, generally. ...

• Love 3

OK so I'm watching this You Tube video yesterday about Mechelle taking us all on a tour of the new house from a few years back and she proudly explains that they had purchased two kits so that they could combine them, fit them together thereby doubling the space. OK. She then proudly explains that one of the kits they found to have the drill holes drilled in the wrong places so they called the company and the company sent them a new kit. So now they have 3 kits. The new kit arrives and they say gee, the steel is still good in the kit we said was defective so why don't we just make the correct drill holes and have 3 kits combined - so they tripled their space.  No mention of paying for 3 kits, I assumed they didn't they just got the 3rd kit for free to replace the defective kit that they were able to use after all.  These people are such con artists sometimes in my opinion.  

Since the whole house building project was new to them and they had no previous construction experience they decided to make it a family project.  So I'm thinking, these little kids must be thinking man not only do I have to help them take care of all of my siblings I now have to help them build  a house too.  It's constantly expecting their children to take on what should be the parents responsibilities and it's too much for the parents to handle so they make the kids handle it.

Mechelle in one of the earlier episodes also explained the buddy system and how she would be the latest newborn's buddy until the baby was weaned and then it was passed off to who was next in line.  That's like 6 months old.  The kids were pretty young yet.

• Love 7

This is what I was saying about the older boys. We've talked about the burden of responsibility being on the girls, but it was on the boys too. They all were executed to do far more than they were actually capable of doing, and I think you can see the results, and they aren't good.

• Love 3

This is what I was saying about the older boys. We've talked about the burden of responsibility being on the girls, but it was on the boys too. They all were executed to do far more than they were actually capable of doing, and I think you can see the results, and they aren't good.

True boy or girl you've got to deal with the parent's issues every day.  Was watching some epi's online since I only ever saw a handful of them until recently and I noticed that in the old house the girls had bunk beds and I was thinking, wow Josh must have been a quiet skillful prowler to not wake anyone up scaling bunk beds.

• Love 4

Well, but that's likely how one of them escaped. We know Jana slept on a top bunk from the jewelry box story. Maybe that's why she gave it to Jessa. And maybe Jill did switch with one of the younger girls, since in one of the episodes Jessa is seen on a top bunk later.

(edited)

I think the horrific legs on number 6 are actually considered an 'eye trap'.

Prints. Printed fabric is of the devil. (that's something we wouldn't have known if it weren't for Bill Gothard.)

True boy or girl you've got to deal with the parent's issues every day.  Was watching some epi's online since I only ever saw a handful of them until recently and I noticed that in the old house the girls had bunk beds and I was thinking, wow Josh must have been a quiet skillful prowler to not wake anyone up scaling bunk beds.

This is either why Jessa was so impressed with Chester the Molester's "sly" abilities, or how we know that the statement about all the girls being asleep was pure hogwash.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3

OK so I'm watching this You Tube video yesterday about Mechelle taking us all on a tour of the new house from a few years back and she proudly explains that they had purchased two kits so that they could combine them, fit them together thereby doubling the space. OK. She then proudly explains that one of the kits they found to have the drill holes drilled in the wrong places so they called the company and the company sent them a new kit. So now they have 3 kits. The new kit arrives and they say gee, the steel is still good in the kit we said was defective so why don't we just make the correct drill holes and have 3 kits combined - so they tripled their space.  No mention of paying for 3 kits, I assumed they didn't they just got the 3rd kit for free to replace the defective kit that they were able to use after all.  These people are such con artists sometimes in my opinion.  

The company sent them a free replacement and told them to not to bother to send the other one back. How does that make the Duggars con artists?

• Love 1

Yeah I'm not really buying the whole they were sleeping story either.  I think they were probably scared, not knowing if it was their fault, not knowing what to do about it, not wanting to get in trouble, not feeling comfortable going to JB and Michelle and just confused and left to try to deal with it on their own.  That's just my opinion it was probably really hard for the girls to cope with.  Jana didn't do any interviews which I find interesting.

The company sent them a free replacement and told them to not to bother to send the other one back. How does that make the Duggars con artists?

They used the set after all.  An actual replacement would have replaced the defective set not added to it.

• Love 10

Yeah I'm not really buying the whole they were sleeping story either. I think they were probably scared, not knowing if it was their fault, not knowing what to do about it, not wanting to get in trouble, not feeling comfortable going to JB and Michelle and just confused and left to try to deal with it on their own. That's just my opinion it was probably really hard for the girls to cope with. Jana didn't do any interviews which I find interesting.

They used the set after all. An actual replacement would have replaced the defective set not added to it.

I ordered a carseat from Amazon. It wasn't the pattern I ordered, so I called them to replace it. They told me to keep it, we used it. Doesn't make me a con artist at all.

They didn't get what they ordered and the company told them to keep it.

Where do we talk about Cousin Amy? She for certain gets on my nerves, but is newly engaged. Congrats?

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/another-duggar-getting-married-041000902.html

Amy's engagement

• Love 3

I ordered a carseat from Amazon. It wasn't the pattern I ordered, so I called them to replace it. They told me to keep it, we used it. Doesn't make me a con artist at all.

They didn't get what they ordered and the company told them to keep it.

Where do we talk about Cousin Amy? She for certain gets on my nerves, but is newly engaged. Congrats?

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/another-duggar-getting-married-041000902.html

Amy's engagement

Knowing JB and Mechelle I don't know if the company told them to just keep a set that must have cost thousands of dollars.  Perhaps they did because of the size of it and cost of return however JB and Michelle getting a whole extra third of a house for free is just so typical of their attitude of we have 19 kids the world owes us.  Comparing a third of a huge house to a car seat is different.   JB probably figured he could just drill the holes in the correct places to begin with but figured he'd get a free set out of it.  Who knows how the conversation went with JB and the set company, JB may have said any number of things were wrong with it to get it free and I don't even trust JB that the drill holes were incorrect in the first place.

• Love 8

Yeah I'm not really buying the whole they were sleeping story either.  I think they were probably scared, not knowing if it was their fault, not knowing what to do about it, not wanting to get in trouble, not feeling comfortable going to JB and Michelle and just confused and left to try to deal with it on their own.  That's just my opinion it was probably really hard for the girls to cope with.  Jana didn't do any interviews which I find interesting.

When I was sexually assaulted by my friend and her sister, and by my brother's best friend, I was in my bed "asleep." In all actuality, I was playing possum, waiting for it to be over. It could have lasted 10 or 20 minutes, but it felt like hours. The "they were all asleep" story doesn't wash much with me either.

• Love 13

They used the set after all.  An actual replacement would have replaced the defective set not added to it.

If the company that sent the defective set wanted it back, they wouldn't have told the family to keep it. Sorry. No scam here.

I don't think the main problem is the actual work the kids are given to do, it's the fact that they aren't trained to do it. Back in the day when kids were given more responsibility out of necessity, their parents first treated them like apprentices--girls were taught how to cook and can and sew, not given a needle and some fabric and told "good luck". Boys were taught how to build a house, cut firewood safely, etc. I feel like the Duggar kids not only do more work than they should (due to their parents main concerns of breeding and being famous) but they were given little to no instruction on how to do it. That's inexcusable, IMO.

• Love 9

I wonder if the drill holes were actually in the wrong place. My brother was building something from a kit once, and was all "these holes are wrong", it turned out he was holding it upside down.

• Love 14

I wonder if the drill holes were actually in the wrong place. My brother was building something from a kit once, and was all "these holes are wrong", it turned out he was holding it upside down.

I thought about that too, Kalamac. I can see maybe ONE set of holes being wrong - but the whole dang set???? No way.

• Love 7

Three kits, two kits, one kit. If TLC hadn't stepped in to finish that house, most likely JimB and his crew of flip-flop-wearing children with power tools would still be working on it today. Of course, without TLC, we would have missed Mechelle's classic home-fooling geometry lesson: Children, repeat after me--per-pen-DICK-you-laahr. 

• Love 11

I can picture that JB holding it upside down or in some other way, he having no construction experience, and then complaining insisting on getting another set free then figuring out they were correct to begin with and using it.  Scenario 2 JB wants a 3rd set for free and decides to complain about one of the other sets figuring it would be too expensive for the company to ship back and he'll just get an extra for free.  The set company I'm sure had more experience with the set than JB had so I find it hard to believe that they drilled the holes incorrectly to begin with.  I guess I just don't trust JB.  Just my opinion.

• Love 9
(edited)

I can picture that JB holding it upside down or in some other way, he having no construction experience, and then complaining insisting on getting another set free then figuring out they were correct to begin with and using it. Scenario 2 JB wants a 3rd set for free and decides to complain about one of the other sets figuring it would be too expensive for the company to ship back and he'll just get an extra for free. The set company I'm sure had more experience with the set than JB had so I find it hard to believe that they drilled the holes incorrectly to begin with. I guess I just don't trust JB. Just my opinion.

If it was a kit home, I can see how JimBob could rightfully complain about the predrilled holes not being where they should be.

I think the house is basically the parts of two mirrored houses connected with an additional catwalk, and a ton of TLC money.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 2

I actually doubt they would have sent an additional kit without anything other than JB's say so. And he did purchase two kits, and it is advertised on TV, back when that was thought to be a bigger deal than we know it to be. I think everyone made out well.

• Love 1

Three kits, two kits, one kit. If TLC hadn't stepped in to finish that house, most likely JimB and his crew of flip-flop-wearing children with power tools would still be working on it today. Of course, without TLC, we would have missed Mechelle's classic home-fooling geometry lesson: Children, repeat after me--per-pen-DICK-you-laahr.

Wonder where they would be living

• Love 1

Well, I wouldn't call them con artists over that but it's a questionable scenario and the type of thing TLC is famous for. How bad could the problem have been if they went on to use the kit with the "wrong" holes? For people who consider honesty one of the top "character qualities," I would think they would be "convicted" that using a free expensive kit when you actually used the one you complained about is not particularly honest.

• Love 8
(edited)

So, very, very bizarre coincidence today considering the topic at hand the "free" third of the TTC - but I've received three packages from Amazon to my exact address, but to a totally different person in the last two days. Apparently he lived in my home before I moved in nearly two years ago. I contacted Amazon, and they told me to "just keep it" and they'd re-ship another order to the intended recipient. That didn't sit well with me - the packing slip has over $150 dollars of merchandise, and it didn't seem fair, right, or proper to just keep the merchandise other people had ordered, even if it was some AWESOME, very expensive gourmet sauces and condiments from a chi-chi, posh little company from the hipster haven of Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NYC. 

I found the guy who ordered the products online very quickly, spoke to him, a lovely older gentleman, and arranged to deliver the packages to him tomorrow - turns out he still attends the church he'd gone to for decades when he'd lived here, right down the street from me. He then contacted Amazon to let them know he'd be getting his order after all, and corrected his address, so no need for a duplicate order. All was well. 

I know - long story to make a point, but I think my feelings are clear here - I did the right thing, and that's not a humble-brag, it's just the way I am and the way things should be. I didn't want the man to lose his purchases, and I didn't think that letting Amazon "take the hit", even if they are a multi-bazillion dollar company, was the right thing to do. It was minimal effort and a bit of goodwill to right a wrong. 

I think JB absolutely did the wrong thing, and smiled his cheesy, Lego Head chompers through the whole thing. If the kit they ordered was manufactured so incorrectly, then how/why did they end up using it ? They got the Triple TTC, rather than the double - that's just dishonest to me, plain and simple. It reminds me of a long-ago co-worker who would buy dresses from Saks Fifth Avenue in the 4-5 hundred dollar range but keep the tags on, wear it a time to two, and then return it for a full refund, deodorant stains and all. It was an indication of her poor character and entitlement, and was the cherry on top of the WTF sundae that ended our friendship.

"Buy used and save the difference" ???

More like "Steal or finagle new, and smile through your dishonesty..."

Meh.

Edited by SomePity1066
  • Love 22

As someone who has a husband in global trade, I will throw out there the possibility that shipping the component pieces were more expensive than the pieces themselves. (Especially back then, before the trade routes and distribution hubs were as streamlined as they are now.). And the kits might have been put together at such a time or place (say, in China) that it was impossible to ship only the one part and not the whole kit without setting off a Custom's nightmare.

I have no idea what the truth is, but I know a lot about international shipping.... :/

• Love 1

In the case of the TTH my money would be on Jim Bob lying to get a free kit.   

Of course companies add in the cost of these lying, scamming cons are part of the price WE all pay for the item.

• Love 4
(edited)

As someone who has a husband in global trade, I will throw out there the possibility that shipping the component pieces were more expensive than the pieces themselves. (Especially back then, before the trade routes and distribution hubs were as streamlined as they are now.). And the kits might have been put together at such a time or place (say, in China) that it was impossible to ship only the one part and not the whole kit without setting off a Custom's nightmare.

This would be more likely. Or at least it was for the catalog company I worked for. It may

sound crazy but most of the time it is more expensive to ship the stuff back to the company

in the end you or well at least our company would end up doing the same thing. Shipping

out the new undamaged product and most likely they'd refund the what the customer paid.

There really is no point to ship back the damaged product because either way we'd throw

it out or the customer would throw it out. They also considered it good customer service to

do that. Now if a customer did insist on and return the items, we would refund the reshipping.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 4

The TTH was built from a Kodiak Steel Home kit. The company is based in North Little Rock, Arkansas and utilizes steel components manufactured by NCI LP of Houston, the largest manufacturer of metal building components in the United States.

• Love 3

I did a quick check of NCI and it's an American company with worldwide distribution. That likely means it's steel and kits are put together in China. That's probably subcontracted out. Each piece of the TTH has a different classification number to ship it into the U.S. Companies do not make extra pieces because it disrupts their supply chains to have to make 100 pieces of X for customer Y. It is almost always cheaper to resend the whole product.

It's called the reverse logistics problem and companies hate it because they don't have inventory anymore. There aren't warehouses. Any good company simply has product moving smoothly at all times like a river. "Fixing" a problem that sounds obvious to us as individuals isn't on the scale of companies moving billions in freight through borders every day.

• Love 3

So, very, very bizarre coincidence today considering the topic at hand the "free" third of the TTC - but I've received three packages from Amazon to my exact address, but to a totally different person in the last two days. Apparently he lived in my home before I moved in nearly two years ago. I contacted Amazon, and they told me to "just keep it" and they'd re-ship another order to the intended recipient. That didn't sit well with me - the packing slip has over $150 dollars of merchandise, and it didn't seem fair, right, or proper to just keep the merchandise other people had ordered, even if it was some AWESOME, very expensive gourmet sauces and condiments from a chi-chi, posh little company from the hipster haven of Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NYC. 

I found the guy who ordered the products online very quickly, spoke to him, a lovely older gentleman, and arranged to deliver the packages to him tomorrow - turns out he still attends the church he'd gone to for decades when he'd lived here, right down the street from me. He then contacted Amazon to let them know he'd be getting his order after all, and corrected his address, so no need for a duplicate order. All was well. 

I know - long story to make a point, but I think my feelings are clear here - I did the right thing, and that's not a humble-brag, it's just the way I am and the way things should be. I didn't want the man to lose his purchases, and I didn't think that letting Amazon "take the hit", even if they are a multi-bazillion dollar company, was the right thing to do. It was minimal effort and a bit of goodwill to right a wrong. 

I think JB absolutely did the wrong thing, and smiled his cheesy, Lego Head chompers through the whole thing. If the kit they ordered was manufactured so incorrectly, then how/why did they end up using it ? They got the Triple TTC, rather than the double - that's just dishonest to me, plain and simple. It reminds me of a long-ago co-worker who would buy dresses from Saks Fifth Avenue in the 4-5 hundred dollar range but keep the tags on, wear it a time to two, and then return it for a full refund, deodorant stains and all. It was an indication of her poor character and entitlement, and was the cherry on top of the WTF sundae that ended our friendship.

"Buy used and save the difference" ???

More like "Steal or finagle new, and smile through your dishonesty..."

Meh.

I love this post.

• Love 6

Well, I wouldn't call them con artists over that but it's a questionable scenario and the type of thing TLC is famous for. How bad could the problem have been if they went on to use the kit with the "wrong" holes? For people who consider honesty one of the top "character qualities," I would think they would be "convicted" that using a free expensive kit when you actually used the one you complained about is not particularly honest.

The company told them to keep it. What were they supposed to do? Trash it? Then people would have complained that they'd wasted resources that could've been used with a little modification. Donate it? Then people would've said they'd done so only for the publicity. Send it back at their own expense when the company who made it didn't even want it? In most scenarios, and certainly in this one, the Duggar family can't win for losing. It's not as if they used the faulty kit without the company knowing. Everyone knows they went on to use it after modifying and correcting it. I'm sorry, but that doesn't equal dishonest no matter how you slice it. 

You know what the issue is, as usual? Attitude.

If JimBob shows the tiniest amount of grace and admiration for how the company stood behind their product, hey, it's a win/win. But instead it's always their arrogance...JimBob 3, company 1. JimBob for the win!!!

It's obnoxious.

• Love 8